Legacy of Fire: Module 3: The Jackal’s Price

Game Master BloodWolven

Kelmarane
North Kelmarane
South Kelmarane
Kelmarane Environs

Katapesh compound
Katapesh compound 2nd level.


1 to 50 of 244 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Likely within the town's vicinity you find yourself waking up in an inn, a house, or different situations depending on your disposition. Describe your daily haunts and exercises!

Kelmarane has grown into a proper town and continues to develop with the traveling caravans coming through weekly.


M Dwarf Paladin L5 | AC20(T11FF19) | hp 66/66 | Save F11R6W9 | Init +2 | Perc. +2 | Smite 1/1 | Channel 6/6 | Lay 5/6 |Status: Power of Faith, 30' +1

Grim stepped out of the mansions dimensional doorway into a very different place.
He reeled around taking in the hot and dry air. The walled village on a hill. The fields down on the plain near the curve of a river. The stretch of desert beyond.

Alexandria wrote:
In a simple tone she says, "Now we are in Kelmarane. No need to travel so hard when you can just teleport and bring everyone with me. Thank you all for such time."

The doorway shut and vanished, as if it had never existed.

Grim clutched his newly refurbished Gavel of Abadar to him tightly.
"Thank... you?" He said to empty air.


The battle market dominates the center of the town. Even after months of work many of the buildings still need work. The roads have been cleared of most signs of battle. Though the defenses have been coming along nicely. Trenches, walls, and magical barriers.


Ifrit Sorcerer L5 HP 43/43, AC 14/14/10, CMD 14, F +6, R +6, W +8 (-1 penalty vs. [emotion] spells unless they're [fear] spells as well) , Init +9, Perc. +7

Azaris walks the streets of Kelmarane, pondering what to do with his newly gained freedom. He knows that he is welcome to remain in Almah's service, but he suspects that his restless nature will soon find too few distractions in Kelmarane.

With nothing better to do, he heads for the battlemarket in search of a drink, some news and perhaps some interesting company.


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

The tall katapesh man wakes from his slumber as the first sarenraes peak over the desert horizon. The rogue chose a second level ruin to sleep in; not for comfort, but to act as a barrier against any roaming slavers looking to make quick coin. This WAS Kelmarane, after all. He wished The Lady had assigned him someplace with decent hostels or hotel rooms. But Davod Mohidoon was dutiful.
The suli quickly packed his bedroll back into his backpack and climbed back down the wall of the ruin to the streets of Kelmarane, which were just beginning to get busy. Davod quickly apologized to a sleepy gnoll he nearly stepped on once he made to a main fareway.
Well, Davod. Let's get something to eat, the native outsider thought to himself.


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

With one hand raised to shield against the already harsh sun, Tiesa squints as she leaves the caravan and surveys the village of Kelmarane. Haleen, what could have brought you here? Her eyes widen and her pulse quickens when she spies the pesh fields below, but she holds true to her task. An exotic spotted cat rubs affectionately against her legs, and follows as she heads to the central battle market to ask people about her missing friend.


Male CG Human HP: 28/28, AC: 11 _ T: 11 _ FF: 10 _ Perception +8, Initiative: +5, Fort +3 _ Ref +3 _ Will +5 (+7 when alter ego, immune fear) CMB: +2, CMD: 13, Speed: 30 Spells lvl-1_8/8, lvl-2_5/5 Phrenic pool; 9/9 , Alter Ego 5/5 rds, wand charges: remove fear 20/20 diplomacy +10 Bluff: +10, Know arcana: +14, know Dungeoneering: +11, know history: +13, know local: +9, know nature: +9, know planes: +9, know religion: +9, spellcraft +13 , sense motive; +8 UMD; +11

Salim woke up in his small camp not to far outside of town. He sat up and groggily packed up his things, catching the last glimpse of the night sky he looked up and saw the stars shining down. He smiled, speaking softly to himself “The lantern bearer, what a good sign. Maybe today will reveal even more then I could hope for.”

With that he slings his pack and heads out. Off in the distance is Kelmarane, Bastam had said that maybe some time outside of the city of Katapesh would help. The city had been liberated and the stars pointed towards it so he had traveled. He was excited to arrive today, he planned to head into town and see what it offered, a drink or two after the travel would be excellent.


As most of you head to the battle market you see that it is the busiest place in town. Vendors line the walls and stalls to sell their imported goods. A pit fight was going on between a trio of gnolls and a fiery looking woman. Her hair looks like a living flame as she aims to just parry their attacks with her gurisarme. On the second floor and with a great view of the pit is the bar. An older human tends the bar as much coin comes and goes. A injector of some kind gets refilled with what looks like potions and then injects them into the customer. Haleen is down in one of the many cages around the pit. Her short short and buckler ready in her hands. A Goliath with but a kilt to cover his skin sits at the head of the battlemarket with multiple women languishing around him.

Anyone else looking for someone?


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

Davod, in a practiced causal gait, moves about the stalls and vendors looking for merchandise and coin that looks like it wouldn't be immediately missed.
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28
Appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34 Some good rolls!


Davod:
You eye quite a few interesting items though the magical ones that glow are likely the most expensive. Are you looking for these items or something more in the 100 gp value, or less?


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

GM Wolf:
Davod is looking for items appraised at 50gp or less, easily stored on his person.


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Tiesa meows quietly to the margay cat, warning it to stay close by as they enter the crowded battle market. The warning proves needless, as the small feline is already constantly underfoot. Seeking information, the simply clothed half-orc naturally asks where the bar is and heads upstairs. There she orders a pesh hookah and sits smoking by the balcony, contemplating her next move.

Haleen’s mysterious disappearance makes her wary of a direct approach—if her friend is indeed in trouble, bluntly asking for her might make matters worse. So Tiesa simply observes, watching the pit fight and getting a feel for the town and its inhabitants. To her surprise she spies Haleen in one of the many cages down below.

Patience. It has taken this long to find Haleen—no need to risk losing her by acting rashly. For now she continues to watch, keeping an eye on the guards and noting, in particular, if there are any repercussions for approaching the cages too closely. Calling the bartender over, she asks “Is there a fight schedule here? Do you know if any of them down there,” she gestures vaguely at the cages, “are slated to fight today, and in what order?”

If Azaris wishes to join her, she'll offer him a smoke from her hookah.


Davod:
Yes there are all sorts of different items you are able to snag. You have filled your pockets as you stealthily moved around the battle market. I will let you decide what you pick up. I was thinking jewelry, relics, holy symbols, and the like.

The bartender nods and points to a chalk board behind him with gambling numbers on it as well. You do hear an MC narrating the fight. On the five foot by five foot black board written in chalk:
Henry vs. David Henry's name is scratched out. 4 to 1
Alexandria vs. gnoll slavers 1 to 20
Haleen vs. Grondee 2 to 3
Hyenas vs. Thorback 1 to 8
There are also many empty spaces upon the board.

Another chalk board about the same size lists the offered drinks and prices:
Ale - 3 cp
Fire Whiskey Mead - 2 sp
Elven Wine - 20 gp
Dwarvan rum - 4 sp
Crackers - 2 cp
Loaf of bread - 5 cp
Sliced pork - 1 sp
Wondermeal corn bread - 7 cp
Muffin - 3 sp

Potion Infusion: It lasts longer! Provide your own potions and 50 gp.


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Tiesa quickly scans the chalkboard. “So which one’s Grondee? ... Haleen? ... Thorback? ... Are they all slaves? ... And how many hyenas will’e fight?” she asks the bartender, as if interested in getting in on the action. “Whered’ya place bets? And canya inspect the fighters up close first?”


Ifrit Sorcerer L5 HP 43/43, AC 14/14/10, CMD 14, F +6, R +6, W +8 (-1 penalty vs. [emotion] spells unless they're [fear] spells as well) , Init +9, Perc. +7

His attention drawn to the flamewreathed fighter, Azaris approaches the bar, orders a glass of fire whisky mead and sits where he can observe the action.

Glancing at the names on the board, he deduces that the fiery female must be Alexandria. He studies her carefully, trying to deduce if she is a native of the plane of fire.

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Turning to listen to Tiesa as she questions the bartender, he pays attention to the man's replies, but does not yet draw attention to himself.


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

GM Wolf:
Here's what I'd like Davod to have (ill)gotten.

A pair of sanctified rings pf Sarenrae.
An iron eye
An iron holy symbol of Sarenrae
Two gold chains worth 10gp each.

And most importantly, Davod got something he has been wanting for a long time now: a silver holy symbol of Desna!


After his latest acquisitions, a handsome kelish man sits down at the bar, far thirstier than he thought he would be.
"One ale, please?" The man said with a practiced smile.


Tiesa wrote:
Tiesa quickly scans the chalkboard. “So which one’s Grondee? ... Haleen? ... Thorback? ... Are they all slaves? ... And how many hyenas will’e fight?” she asks the bartender, as if interested in getting in on the action. “Whered’ya place bets? And canya inspect the fighters up close first?”

The old man states, "No we don't have slave fights anymore. It is stricktly voluntary but it pays well. Grondee is the large brute over there." He points as he says then says, "To the left after a few empty cages is Haleen as Thorback is in one of the closest cages that can't be seen from here. Six hyenas will fight Thorback. Bets can be done with any of the gambling tenders or myself. Of course you can meet them. Though it is easier when they are done with their fight. Otherwise you go down to the first floor and talk with Dolmaria Tennick who organizes the fights. With a few coins you could be escorted to the inner cells where you can get close enough to talk to the fighters."


Azaris:
You do believe her to be from the plane of fire. Though her specific race eludes you. You might think Efritee but not really.

The bartender takes your coins and pours out a drink to Azaris.

Even without an offered coin, the bartender quickly dips a mug into a barrel and slams it on the bar for Davod.

Davod:
Sounds good!


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Tiesa nods along as the bartender responds, though she conceals her emotions: relief that Haleen is not enslaved; confusion as to why her friend is here; and worry at the size of Grondee, though she chides herself for this thought—Haleen is no slouch when it comes to fighting, and besides, this is her choice. Or is it?

For the moment the wizard decides against visiting Haleen—she doesn’t want to ruin the warrior’s concentration right before a fight. Instead she continues to gather intelligence from afar.

“Well, I don’t wanna spend coin ta get coin,” she casually dismisses the fee to talk to the fighters, “so maybe you can tell me ‘bout ‘em yourself. Have they—Grondee, Haleen, Thorback—have they much experience? Been fighting here long? What’s their records like?” An unsettling thought occurs to her. “And what’re the match rules? Fight ‘til one surrenders? To first blood? To the death?”


Male CG Human HP: 28/28, AC: 11 _ T: 11 _ FF: 10 _ Perception +8, Initiative: +5, Fort +3 _ Ref +3 _ Will +5 (+7 when alter ego, immune fear) CMB: +2, CMD: 13, Speed: 30 Spells lvl-1_8/8, lvl-2_5/5 Phrenic pool; 9/9 , Alter Ego 5/5 rds, wand charges: remove fear 20/20 diplomacy +10 Bluff: +10, Know arcana: +14, know Dungeoneering: +11, know history: +13, know local: +9, know nature: +9, know planes: +9, know religion: +9, spellcraft +13 , sense motive; +8 UMD; +11

Salim head to the bar and looks around the place is interesting to say the least. He feels slightly out of place having so little knowledge about the area and what’s going on. Getting to bar he sits down nearby the ifriti man and smiling man.

He asks politely An ale please, and a question of you have a chance. Have you heard of anyone with the last name Myr by chance?” as he says this he makes sure to put an extra coin with the one he had for the ale.


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4
Salim Myr wrote:
He asks politely An ale please, and a question of you have a chance. Have you heard of anyone with the last name Myr by chance?” as he says this he makes sure to put an extra coin with the one he had for the ale.

Does the last name Myr sound familiar to Davod?

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Tiesa will play copycat--has she heard of anyone named Myr?
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14


Human 8/8level1spells 5/5level 2 effect: CLW: 28/50 Oracle 5 40/40hp Fort3/Ref4/Will4or8 AC 22/13/19 CMD:21Init:+7 Perc:7 Sn.M.:4

Missed that this is on

Wow, I still live. That was a thing.

A pretty attractive human in some midly unusual satire says.

Grimoin? To the fallen. She offers a drink.


Tiesa wrote:
“Well, I don’t wanna spend coin ta get coin,” she casually dismisses the fee to talk to the fighters, “so maybe you can tell me ‘bout ‘em yourself. Have they—Grondee, Haleen, Thorback—have they much experience? Been fighting here long? What’s their records like?” An unsettling thought occurs to her. “And what’re the match rules? Fight ‘til one surrenders? To first blood? To the death?”

His mood appearing to become brighter, he offers a smile missing a few teeth and says, "Sure! The three are our regular fighters including Alexandria, Aukan, Sasha, and a few other locals. They are all experienced fighters, many of them went up to the Pale Mountain to defeat the Carrion King and his horde of gnolls. Haleen has been here the longest, Grondee came about a year ago, and the rest just within the last three months. Records: Haleen has won the most, though the others are no slouches. Now if the three of them went into the ring against Alexandria and she tried, they would fail. Look at those moves she is tiring the gnolls by just dodging and deflecting the attacks. Though I hear she has some major magic. Most of the match rules are simple, bring what you have, put on a show, and try not to kill anyone. Typically the fight ends when someone surrenders. Though the fight with the gnolls is to the death. We don't look very favorably on gnolls let alone slavers."


Salim Myr wrote:

Salim head to the bar and looks around the place is interesting to say the least. He feels slightly out of place having so little knowledge about the area and what’s going on. Getting to bar he sits down nearby the ifriti man and smiling man.

He asks politely An ale please, and a question of you have a chance. Have you heard of anyone with the last name Myr by chance?” as he says this he makes sure to put an extra coin with the one he had for the ale.

The bartender brings the ale and takes the coins, pensively thinking and states, "Not that I can think of, first name?"

Moving to the next step, that evening:
Any response to this should be titled with OOC: that evening. Or something of the like.

Several messengers walk around town dropping off an invite to each of you. The vellum invite sealed with black wax says, "You have either the might, magic, or skill that we are needing for the coming enterprise. If you are interested and want to have a chance at fame and glory please come to my estate for dinner. All will be explained there. Please come before it turns dark."


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Tiesa slouches back in her chair, reassured by the bartender’s response. “Thankya kindly. That Alexandria sounds like a beaut. I think I’ll watch some more before placing a bet.” So saying, the half-orc continues smoking on the hookah and returns her attention to the fighting pit below. After Haleen’s match she goes down to greet her long lost friend.


Male CG Human HP: 28/28, AC: 11 _ T: 11 _ FF: 10 _ Perception +8, Initiative: +5, Fort +3 _ Ref +3 _ Will +5 (+7 when alter ego, immune fear) CMB: +2, CMD: 13, Speed: 30 Spells lvl-1_8/8, lvl-2_5/5 Phrenic pool; 9/9 , Alter Ego 5/5 rds, wand charges: remove fear 20/20 diplomacy +10 Bluff: +10, Know arcana: +14, know Dungeoneering: +11, know history: +13, know local: +9, know nature: +9, know planes: +9, know religion: +9, spellcraft +13 , sense motive; +8 UMD; +11

Salim gives a thankful nod and a sip of the ale, “I believe his first name is Salim, we are somewhat close. I was curious if he came through at all…” , with that he takes a deep drink from the ale obviously tired from travel through the desert.

He leans back and gives a sigh, more from the rather low brow ale than satisfaction. Moments like this make him miss Katapesh.

After getting the invite Salim will inspect it and question the messenger slightly about why not after dark, or who sent it. He will endeavor to head there before dark however no matter the answers.


Human 8/8level1spells 5/5level 2 effect: CLW: 28/50 Oracle 5 40/40hp Fort3/Ref4/Will4or8 AC 22/13/19 CMD:21Init:+7 Perc:7 Sn.M.:4

Aukan Grimoin, I have that great axe, that periapt and the armor off that priestess. The armor is pretty great on me, does either of you want the other stuff? If no, lets sell it. I dont claim any extra money from the proceeds, which should go to you two. I will send Ragnars axe to the liasion in Absalom for burial, the gnoll kings axe is also up for grabs. Did the bugger wear any armor or have other items?

Vivi recounts open loot questions.


Ifrit Sorcerer L5 HP 43/43, AC 14/14/10, CMD 14, F +6, R +6, W +8 (-1 penalty vs. [emotion] spells unless they're [fear] spells as well) , Init +9, Perc. +7

Azaris continues to watch the fights and enjoy a few more drinks without overindulging.

"By the looks of it and her odds, Alexandria is formidable fighter. What is her story?" he asks the bartender.

For the next fight, he bets 25 gp on Haleen as the winner.

As Varvara appears, he asks "Weren't you part of the group that went and explored the Carrion King's stronghold? I heard a rumor that you had returned suddenly. Since you're here breathing with the gnoll king's axe, I take it you were successful in your quest. What threats and treasures did you find in the House of the Beast?"

In the evening:

Intrigued by the summons, Azaris cleans up as best he can and turns up at the appointed time.


Human 8/8level1spells 5/5level 2 effect: CLW: 28/50 Oracle 5 40/40hp Fort3/Ref4/Will4or8 AC 22/13/19 CMD:21Init:+7 Perc:7 Sn.M.:4

I was part of an earlier merc outfit send to take out the Carrion King by unnamed clients, we got wiped out and I was captured. I was later rescued by some local Kelmarane heroes, joined up with them and I think I actually did the final blow on the f&~#ing Gnoll shithead

Varvara switches to Abyssal cursing an her eyes turn pitch black for a second
With a radious blast from my shimmering abs! Haha Praise Gorrum! She speaks in common again. Avenging my comrades, and also myself, in the process! That effing Gnoll was apparently on a metric crapton of shitlists, given who likely hired me in the first place.

She pauses

I legit died once. We had things available to get me back, but oh boy that was close.

I got a pretty gud chainmail and a magic sword and a Valkyrie in my head who gives pretty good life advice. Lost a ton of good people though.


Salim Myr wrote:

Salim gives a thankful nod and a sip of the ale, “I believe his first name is Salim, we are somewhat close. I was curious if he came through at all…” , with that he takes a deep drink from the ale obviously tired from travel through the desert.

He leans back and gives a sigh, more from the rather low brow ale than satisfaction. Moments like this make him miss Katapesh.

The bartender replies after thinking on it somemore, "No... the name Salim Myr doesn't ring any bells."

Salim Myr wrote:
After getting the invite Salim will inspect it and question the messenger slightly about why not after dark, or who sent it. He will endeavor to head there before dark however no matter the answers.

The messenger would reply, "If you come after dark you will miss the main meeting. The introduction and explanation of the expedition. Which should be done before dinner is served. Aukan the Warlord is in charge and your host."


Tiesa wrote:
Tiesa slouches back in her chair, reassured by the bartender’s response. “Thankya kindly. That Alexandria sounds like a beaut. I think I’ll watch some more before placing a bet.” So saying, the half-orc continues smoking on the hookah and returns her attention to the fighting pit below. After Haleen’s match she goes down to greet her long lost friend.

The fight between Alexandria and the gnolls gets finished as each of her strikes takes down a gnoll. With a flourish the last gnoll drops as she raises her glaive into the air in triumph. She dissipates into a cloud of smoke and reappearing next to the Goliath before sitting in the empty large luxurious couch.

A gate is opened and two guards come into the arena, they grab the bodies by a foot and drag them back through the open gate.

The gate slams shut as the two gates in front of Haleen and Grondee slowly rise. Both enter the arena with boisterous approval. Obviously showing their popularity. They show off their weapons as the tenders collect bets with coins. Does any PCs want to gamble?

After Haleen's fight she and Grondee come up to the bar to joyous applause, and many free drinks. As the next match begins and most of the crowds attention is on the fight Haleen sits next to Tiesa. She whispers, "We have much to discuss though with prying eyes it is not safe to talk openly here. Meet me at the Black Raven after the fight."


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

That Evening:
Cautiously, Davod approaches the front gate of the estate on the vellum invite. If any guards ask the suli man to remove his weapons, the intense rogue, thinking this might be a trap from rich slavers, communicates to the guards that under no uncertain terms will his weapons leave his person.
Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Azaris al Zakam wrote:

"By the looks of it and her odds, Alexandria is formidable fighter. What is her story?" he asks the bartender.

For the next fight, he bets 25 gp on Haleen as the winner.

The bartender says ominously, "Her story is her own but there are many rumors that surround her. Some of us call her the living flame. She was once the slave of a elder great wyrm."

The barkeep doesn't take your bet but points to another tender who comes over handing five green stones for the 25 gp.


CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

Though she hides her interest, Tiesa eavesdrops when the barkeep talks about Alexandria—she’s always been a sucker for a mysterious story. And the ‘Living Flame’ becomes all the more intriguing when she teleports next to the Goliath.

But Alexandria is a mystery that will have to wait—the next bout naturally occupies the wizard’s full attention. Overjoyed at seeing Haleen come up to the bar after the match, Tiesa immediately spots ‘the look’ when their eyes meet. With that warning she plays it cool, applauding like the rest of fans but not giving the warrior any undue attention. She doesn’t even look at her friend when an invitation is whispered. “Yeah, this gonna be good,” the half-orc says to no one in particular as the hyenas are unleashed against Thorback.
Be nonchalant. Pass secret message (“Yes”) to Haleen. Take 10 on Bluff for 36.

Black Raven:
Tiesa takes her time after Thorback’s bout, finishing off her hookah before leisurely heading downstairs. She takes a wandering route to the Black Raven, preemptively casting a couple spells before entering the building to find and join Haleen.
Cast Prestidigitation and Detect Magic before entering Black Raven. Use Detect Magic to scout out the place and its inhabitants. Also try to get a sense if she’s been followed or watched: Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


Ifrit Sorcerer L5 HP 43/43, AC 14/14/10, CMD 14, F +6, R +6, W +8 (-1 penalty vs. [emotion] spells unless they're [fear] spells as well) , Init +9, Perc. +7

Impressed by Alexandria’s teleport, Azaris tries to figure out if she did it by using an innate ability or a spell.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Davod:
At the gate the guards look you up and down but don't say anything. They check the invite and let you through.

Haleen does defeat Grondee but only by a hair as they are both a bit bloody by the end of the match. Haleen is given the victory by the MC to thunderous applause. The gamble tender returns to Azaris collectin the stones and doling out 37 gp and 5 sp.

The next fight is quick and simple. Most are not happy with the slaughter of the hyenas so quickly. They wanted a show and obviously Thorback just quickly ended the match with two quick cleaves.

Azaris:
You believe the teleport is a spell like ability.

That Evening
Some of the guests have dressed in their best as others have come in their adventuring gear. Please describe yourself and what you wear.

You are greeted by guards at the gate who check your invite before letting you enter. They may eye your weapons and heavy armor but are apparently not suppose to restrict the guests. As you enter into the grounds you feel a spell wash over you, Will DC 24. Spellcraft DC 22: The spell is peace bind.

If you got to the estate early you find the gardens rather empty except for servers and staff. If you go up the stairs to the front doors you will be stopped by the guards, who ask, "What is your business?" About mid afternoon the hostesses begin to greet the guests leaving the grand entrance to Aukan.

Just before the sun goes below the mountain range to the West a few fireworks are set off. As a flying ship slowly descends to the front of the mansion. Aukan gets off with an easy leap over the bow of the ship to present himself to the gathered crowd.


Vital:
0 damage HP: 195, AC: 37_ T: 31_ FF: 29_ Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Initiative: +8, Fort: +23 _ Ref: +14_ Will: +19, CMB: +15, CMD: 33, Speed: 40
Skills:
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +12, Climb +16, Escape Artist +8, Handle Animal +16, Intim +18, K (dung/eng) +12, Ride +13, Survival +12, Stealth +8, Use magic device +18, Swim +15

He loudly greets the crowd, "Greetings all, I am one of your hosts. Many of you know me by many names but the most prominent one is Aukan the Goliath. I welcome you all to enjoy your fill of the feast and the entertainment that will soon be provided. Now if you have interest of the coming expedition please step forward and walk with me to the library."


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

GM Wolf:
After the bar, davod pawns off his acquisitions for coin. What percentage does he get from his transaction so I can add that to Davod's character sheet?

GM Wolf wrote:

That Evening

Some of the guests have dressed in their best as others have come in their adventuring gear. Please describe yourself and what you wear.

Davod wears his hot weather outfit, composed of various white, blue, and black light fabrics. Since the harsh sun has mostly set, the suli has his head uncovered, revealing his short, wavy hair. A silver holy symbol of Desna rest comfortably on his neck. Davod wears his twin MW sickles plainly on his belt for easy access, but his MW mithril dagger hides in the small of his back. The rogue is still wearing his grey cloak and brown leather gloves.

The party has many wonderful food dishes, some Davod makes inquiries about but ultimately tries them all. The water and wine available is abundant, putting Davod in a far better mood. As always, the suli floats among the crowd making small talk, listening to jokes, and finding information.
Aukan the Goliath wrote:
He loudly greets the crowd, "Greetings all, I am one of your hosts. Many of you know me by many names but the most prominent one is Aukan the Goliath. I welcome you all to enjoy your fill of the feast and the entertainment that will soon be provided. Now if you have interest of the coming expedition please step forward and walk with me to the library."

Funny. The invitation said nothing of a expedition. Davod thought. Well, they did go through all the trouble to feed him and quench his thirst. I suppose i shall hear what the large goliath has to say.

The affable rogue makes his way inside the mansion to the library.


Human 8/8level1spells 5/5level 2 effect: CLW: 28/50 Oracle 5 40/40hp Fort3/Ref4/Will4or8 AC 22/13/19 CMD:21Init:+7 Perc:7 Sn.M.:4

Hi Aukan, lets not die on this caper yes? The blond and quite fit female Oracle, clad in a well made magical chainmail overlaid by a rather figure accentuating black tabard featuring depticion of thorned roses and mystic symbols, flashes some eyebrows as she arrives a bit late.
Her boots have the insignia of Cayden Cailen, and her sword seems Gorrumite.

Linguistics DC15 or Kn. Planes DC15:

The mystic smybols are definitly in Abyssal

Abyssal speaker:

The runes say something akin to "Looking is free, touching is not"


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

The mysteriously handsome suli notices the blond warrior entering the library, appearing to have some familiarity with the host. She appears to be a conundrum, wearing different holy artifacts from different religions.
Linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
And she's wearing Infernal runes? Who in the Nine hells is this woman?


Vital:
0 damage HP: 195, AC: 37_ T: 31_ FF: 29_ Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Initiative: +8, Fort: +23 _ Ref: +14_ Will: +19, CMB: +15, CMD: 33, Speed: 40
Skills:
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +12, Climb +16, Escape Artist +8, Handle Animal +16, Intim +18, K (dung/eng) +12, Ride +13, Survival +12, Stealth +8, Use magic device +18, Swim +15
Varvara Ulyanova Vladimirovna wrote:
Hi Aukan, lets not die on this caper yes? The blond and quite fit female Oracle, clad in a well made magical chainmail overlaid by a rather figure accentuating black tabard featuring depticion of thorned roses and mystic symbols, flashes some eyebrows as she arrives a bit late.

He smiles as he gives her a knowing look. He then replies jovially, "Yes at the very least. I do have a few new tricks in my hand."


Davod Mohidoon wrote:

The mysteriously handsome suli notices the blond warrior entering the library, appearing to have some familiarity with the host. She appears to be a conundrum, wearing different holy artifacts from different religions.

[dice=Linguistics]1d20 + 7
And she's wearing Infernal runes? Who in the Nine hells is this woman?

Abyssal not Infernal. Just splitting hairs there.

As everyone that enters the library finds a seat you can see the doors start to become sealed as magic washes over them. The guard outside calls out loud, "Last call for the meeting of Fame and Wealth." Another minute passes then he closes the door. The last door is then sealed.

The fireplace's fire roars with a blast of heat into the room. Flames licking up past the mantle. Then almost as sudden the flames retreat leaving behind a cloud of black smoke. The smoke quickly dissipates revealing a tall female figure. Before the smoke mostly dissipates Alexandria steps forward.


Male
Skills:
Percep +11|Diplo +13|SM +13|Acro +11|Appraise +10|Bluff +12|Disable +15|Intim. +7|Sleight +16|Stealth +16
Suli|HP 34/34|F: +3, R: +7, W: +4|Init + 3|AC 17 (13 T, 14 FF)|BAB +3 Unchained Rogue (Guild Agent)|Sneak Attack +3d6 4/4

Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Despite the dangerous display, Davod is unable to react defensively due to the Peace Bind.


Male CG Human HP: 28/28, AC: 11 _ T: 11 _ FF: 10 _ Perception +8, Initiative: +5, Fort +3 _ Ref +3 _ Will +5 (+7 when alter ego, immune fear) CMB: +2, CMD: 13, Speed: 30 Spells lvl-1_8/8, lvl-2_5/5 Phrenic pool; 9/9 , Alter Ego 5/5 rds, wand charges: remove fear 20/20 diplomacy +10 Bluff: +10, Know arcana: +14, know Dungeoneering: +11, know history: +13, know local: +9, know nature: +9, know planes: +9, know religion: +9, spellcraft +13 , sense motive; +8 UMD; +11

Salim had entered the party in relatively simple clothes, a flowing robe of brown with a green head wrap to keep sweat and dirt away from his face. A slight shimmer of his cloak gives away its magic and on his head barely visible is a headband, with tunic symbols. Not enough to be readable but enough to tell it’s no mere ornament. However despite all this all he carries with him is a small dagger on his hip and a small stick sheathed as well, almost out of place compared to others that are more armored and armed.

He quietly follows the large Goliath into the library, wondering to himself what exactly he is getting into with this. As he slips in he can’t but help to mutter as the doors are magically sealed. “Oh all of us locked in here, that’s slightly concerning. Why all the precautions?” Just before Alexandria appears at the mantle, “What an ostentatious arrival.. he says backing up slightly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Half-Orc Wizard L5 | HP 38/38 | AC14 (T13,FF11), CMD15 | F/R/W=+4/+5/+6 | Init +3 | Perc. +5 (Darkvision 60'), SM +11| Dazing Touch used 0/9

That Evening
Though surprised by the invitation--how would anyone know about her here in Kelmarane?--Tiesa is curious, and though she has no desire for fame nor glory, she attends the event at the appointed time. Unlike the more finely dressed guests, the six-feet high half-orc wears a plain brown kaftan that drapes loosely over her wiry frame. A matching turban sinks low over her heavy, pointed brow, though perceptive eyes might occasionally glimpse a hidden golden headband resting high on her forehead. Greasy black hair, cloudy hazel eyes, and blunt protruding tusks complete a rather unattractive portrait. A bulky ink-stained backpack dangles from one shoulder, and a well-crafted crossbow hangs from her waist, across from a sheathed dagger and coiled whip, marking her as an adventurer. Padding gracefully around her feet is a small spotted cat that looks like it was imported from the Mwangi Expanse.

Tiesa would have cast Prestidigitation before entering the estate. Take 10 on Spellcraft for 24 to identify the peace bind spell. Will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Upon entering, Tiesa doesn’t seem particularly bothered by the peacebond spell; perhaps she recognizes it? Her time is spent quietly watching and listening, though she also eagerly devours the many appetizers on display. She is one of the last to enter the library, quickly casting a spell before joining the others. A moment later, her clothes seem fresher and cleaner, as if readying herself for the real meeting.

If the guard questions her spell, she’ll pretend she cast Prestidigitation (in fact she cast Detect Thoughts) and use the already active Prestidigitation spell to clean up. Take 10 on Bluff for 36.

Inside the library the half-orc continues to silently watch and listen as her gaze periodically sweeps across the small room.

She’s spending no more than 2 rounds on any one person, so, via Detect Thoughts she learns the Int score of everyone (assuming no one has an Int score of at least 32) but doesn’t subject anyone to a Will save … yet.

GM Wolf:
Is there any info from Tiesa’s meeting with Haleen at the Black Raven that would be relevant for the present meeting with Aukan and Alexandria?


Ifrit Sorcerer L5 HP 43/43, AC 14/14/10, CMD 14, F +6, R +6, W +8 (-1 penalty vs. [emotion] spells unless they're [fear] spells as well) , Init +9, Perc. +7

Spellcraft to identify peacebind: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Azaris is wearing loose fitting garments of red, white and gold, which compliment his fiery appearance. He recognizes the peacebind spell without much effort, but is not concered by it, as it only affects the mithril dagger currently occupying his wrist sheath. He has left his backpack and mundane adventuring gear at his dwelling, but brings his scroll box along the satchel of his adventurer's sash.

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

He makes a brief mental note of the origin of the markings on Vivi's garment, but thinks little of it.

Following the goliath to library, he remarks to noone in particular. "You had my interest at expedition. Wealth and fame are merely pleasant bonuses."

Having positioned himself close to the roaring fireplace, he steps aside with his best charming smile as she makes her dramatic entrance.

"Flying ships and flashy teleportation. These people sure like being the center of attention. This could be an entertaining venture. Let's see what the big fella has to say."

"Thank you kindly for the invitation, Aukan the Goliath. You are a most generous host. Now, you were saying something about an expedition involving fame and wealth?"


Vital:
0 damage HP: 195, AC: 37_ T: 31_ FF: 29_ Perception +8, Sense Motive +7, Initiative: +8, Fort: +23 _ Ref: +14_ Will: +19, CMB: +15, CMD: 33, Speed: 40
Skills:
Acrobatics +16, Bluff +12, Climb +16, Escape Artist +8, Handle Animal +16, Intim +18, K (dung/eng) +12, Ride +13, Survival +12, Stealth +8, Use magic device +18, Swim +15
Salim Myr wrote:
As he slips in he can’t but help to mutter as the doors are magically sealed. “Oh all of us locked in here, that’s slightly concerning. Why all the precautions?” Just before Alexandria appears at the mantle, “What an ostentatious arrival.. he says backing up slightly.

"These precautions are to secure the secrecy of the knowledge that we are releasing to you. Our hope is that you will each aid us with the coming expedition and the missions to make it come to fruition."

He then continues, "The first mission is to travel to Katapesh so that the scroll of Kakisron can be deciphered by an expert. The second mission is to protect him and the scroll at all costs. Lastly the main goal is to follow the map of Kakishron to Kakishron itself, thus the expedition. Now any particulars you can ask Alexandria as she is presently our expert on the topic."


Tiesa:
Haleen would have greeted you warmly at the Black Raven. She would have told you about the good that Aukan and the others have brought to Kelmarane. It is actually thriving.


Human 8/8level1spells 5/5level 2 effect: CLW: 28/50 Oracle 5 40/40hp Fort3/Ref4/Will4or8 AC 22/13/19 CMD:21Init:+7 Perc:7 Sn.M.:4

Escort duty, first for a scroll then for a scroll + an expert.
Can we make some fake decoy scrolls, like, latch some cheap enchantments on them to make them ping as magical? So enemies keep guessing which scroll is the real one?
Is the expert humanoid? So would alteration magics to make him look differnet work on him?
We should also attach unobvious scrying sensors to each scroll, like a short bit of hair for example, do we have anyone who can scry?

The Oracle rattles of a number of pragmatic ideas.


GM Wolf wrote:
Davod Mohidoon wrote:

The mysteriously handsome suli notices the blond warrior entering the library, appearing to have some familiarity with the host. She appears to be a conundrum, wearing different holy artifacts from different religions.

[dice=Linguistics]1d20 + 7
And she's wearing Infernal runes? Who in the Nine hells is this woman?

Abyssal not Infernal. Just splitting hairs there.

As everyone that enters the library finds a seat you can see the doors start to become sealed as magic washes over them. The guard outside calls out loud, "Last call for the meeting of Fame and Wealth." Another minute passes then he closes the door. The last door is then sealed.

The fireplace's fire roars with a blast of heat into the room. Flames licking up past the mantle. Then almost as sudden the flames retreat leaving behind a cloud of black smoke. The smoke quickly dissipates revealing a tall female figure. Before the smoke mostly dissipates Alexandria steps forward.

The little genie slipped past the guard like a wisp of cloud. He backs away from the fireplace as it roars ... it was important that an Air Zhyen not get caught off guard while on a service mission.

ZHYEN

"Great Aukan, master Jyn sends his regrets ... he will arrive posthaste and asks your indulgence."

1 to 50 of 244 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Legacy of Fire: Module 3: The Jackal’s Price All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.