Might and magic, Lords of the Contested Lands

Game Master Chyrone

Set in the Might & Magic ancients universe.

A group of strangers will grow into the lords of Harmondale, and get involved with more than they would have imagined.
Will their land stand the test of the years to come?
Date: February 3nd


1 to 50 of 2,911 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

Lord Markham's contest,

An event attracting quite a number of people.
What property would the winner get? What is the sum of wealth rumored of?
These are questions on the minds of the people that have come to participate.

The cast off to Emerald Isle was to be from Southport, a smaller region in southernmost Erathia. A couple of days sailing, at most.

-----------------------------------
Salty sea air welcomes you as you enter Southport. Built against a mountainous ridge, with a lake to the north and the sea to its south, it is a fortified town of around currently 2000 occupants, sporting the main port for naval vessels, both for commerce and war.

Something like this.

Following a vaguely sloped paved road downwards, you walk towards the trade square, and into a great hall, used for large meetings. A fair number of tables and chairs stand placed, devided across the 40 by 50 feet hall.
Other attendees arrive in pairs or small groups of three to five. The majority are human, but the news had arrived in the neighboring lands as well.

There are but a few tables without attendees at them.
Standing at the clerk writing down names of attendees, is a trio of jovial looking human men, joking among themselves.

A nearby table has a young goblin man in metal armor, a rogue'ish looking tanned human man, a dwarf woman and elf woman. The dwarf is wearing but leather and a small wooden shield, while the elf just speaks 'refined and gifted' by her graceful clothing alone.

While another table has a trio of more....unsociable, looking men at them. They observe the rest of the people present, making some arrogant comments among themselves.

Time for the introductions. I'll proceed when we're all here.


HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

Brunhild quietly walked in. She wore a simple and well-worn monk’s robe. On her back was a quiver which was the only thing of any value on her. Unlike the well made quiver, she had but a short-bow, the type used for hunting game. It was not the sort of weapon one would think of even being for self defense, let alone for war. What she needed was coin. There was no way that she could return home in such a state. Going to the clerk, she said with her chin high ”Brunhild Blackarrow.”


Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

The waifish druid sauntered into the hall, a look of mischief in her eye. At her side moves a tawny, lynx-like, cat which looks around the hall unconcerned. Rowän ignores the rough men and their banter while she checks in with the clerk.

With the formalities done Rowän finds a table and takes a seat next to an unimposing dwarven woman with a bow. With a slight nod of her head, she says in greeting, Adressing Brunhild"Good day Mistress, I hope the day has treated you well." Not waiting for a reply she takes a seat and extends her hand, "I hope you don't mind if I join you. I'm called Rowän."

She reaches down and scratches the indifferent cat stretched out at her feet, "And this little furball is Briersting."


HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

”It’d be rather fooked up to say no, wouldn’t it? Take a seat.” Brunhild said. ”That thing of yers.” She motioned towards Briersting. ”Ye trained it? For war or a circus?” She asked, feeling that the question was a legitimate one.


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.

Done with her own ensignment, a young human woman looks around uncertainly for a moment before approaching the table. She was decently pretty, with blonde hair just reaching the shoulders and the well-worn scale armor not quite hiding her slim and athletic figure beneath.

She was armed with a mean-looking heavy spear which also had a hammer head attached, and the length of it had her maneuvering carefully around the crowd, unfortunately bumping it into one of the windows despite her best efforts - and being rewarded with a sharp *tap* of metal on glass. She blushes a bit and quickly glances around to see if anyone noticed, then decides to swiftly move the rest of the way rather than drawing any more attention.

"Hello. I'm Stella - pleased to meet you. If I understood correctly, I was assigned to your team," she says, after sitting herself down and unclasping the polearm to lean against the table. "I... hope I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

Knowledge: Local dc 10:

'Stella' is sometimes used as a nickname for the name 'Estelle'.


Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

Rowän lets out a short guffaw be before replying, ”Briersting is more a friend than a pet. But she definitely isn’t a circus animal and is good to have around if things start getting bloody.” She is about to say more when Stella comes up to the pair and introduces herself.

”Right nice to be meeting you too,” she says sincerely. ”We just got here ourselves. I’m called Rowän and,” she adds with a wide grin, ”the dwarf here is holding on to her name like dragon hoarding it’s treasure.” She looks to dwarf nodding her head in the direction of Stella’s weapon, ”Now that’s a hammer.”


HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

”Brunhild.” She said, simply, wishing that she had a drink. It would certainly make socializing easier.


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

A tall elven woman with shoulder-length white hair comes in, a bow showing over her shoulder, but when she turns you can see that it is clearly broken. She walks to the table with the three jovial men, giving her name to check in.

Astella.

The men seemed to want some other identifier, but her family was dead, and a placename like "of AvLee" wasn't very specific, and she wasn't about to use her nickname, so she just waited. When her name was written down, she turned to survey the room.

She considers joining the table with the other elven woman, but she decides that she doesn't want to get drawn into a conversation with a healthy long-term perspective right now. She was feeling a little short-term, so instead she just smiled at her, and then went to sit next to the cat. Cats didn't ask personal questions.

When Stella introduced herself, she looked up from regarding the cat and said

Oh, are we assigned to teams? Perhaps I didn't wait long enough at the table to get an assignment.

Then, when the others introduce themselves as well she adds

... I am Astella. Did they tell you where to sit? Am I in the wrong place?


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

Daniel steps into the hall rather hesitantly, almost as if he is unsure whether he should be here. He wears studded leather, but seems to carry a battered, broken, and all but useless suit of armor on his back alongside a large backpack. His shoulder length hair hangs down slightly unkempt. On his back overtop the pack is strapped a large wooden shield and a pole-arm. At his side hangs two blades, one looks or looked to be of exceptional make, the pommel and hilt of high quality though now the blade is so damaged that it is beyond use. Near it hangs a much more ordinary, almost crude, longsword. An empty potion flask hangs loosely at the front of his belt. His green eyes rolled over the people in the hall before seeming to stop on a table that seemed likely to prove the least troublesome to approach.

His voice sounds strange, it is deeper than one would imagine and seems a practiced, proper way of speaking but is tinged with a mild uncertainty.

Ah, good day to you all. I am Daniel, Daniel Cedric Rose, to be precise. You can call me Daniel or Cedric, either or. I was, um, well to be honest I'm not quite sure if we need to just come in and have a seat or... if there is a sign up sheet or something of that sort. He shifts the weight of his pack to another shoulder before glancing around the hall once more.
Oh.. um. Nevermind, I think I see it. He walks off to sign in before returning.

Sorry for the trouble, but would it be okay if I sat with you all? He gives a sheepish grin and scratches the back of his head.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

When everyone is seated, it is still a little waiting.
A couple of servants put some cheese, bread and mead on a table near the wall.
Around you conversations start up among the attendees.

Perception 15, table with the goblin:

Dwarf woman: "I'm telling you Zoltan, there are bound to be people we should keep an eye on. For sure some are lazy opportunists."

Goblin: "You worry too much, Serena, we'll deal with things as they come. Besides, i reckon Roderick keeps an extra eye open."


Perception 14 on dwarf woman:

There is a pendant around her neck, bearing an engraving of a cavern with a crown in the middle.

Kn. Religion 12/ autopass for Brunhild,
The symbol of the King of the Deeps, revered ancestor of the dwarves.

More later, lunchbreak is over.


Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

Between remarks and introductions with her table mates Rowän observed those at the other tables. Interesting, she makes a mental note to keep an eye on the table with the goblin.

Perception table: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Perception Dwarf: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

With no one responding, Astella figured she would just stay where she is. She looks over at the table where the other elf woman sits, examining her companions.

Perception (table): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 (pass)

She wonders what they mean by "lazy opportunists" and if she should be concerned.

Perception (dwarf): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 (fail)


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

perception2: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Daniel merely enjoys the small meal, eating a little more than what was likely his fair share and clearly shows a desire to eat more, but otherwise keeps himself from doing so. He talks to everyone but subconsciously turns to Stella.

So... what are you all hoping, exactly, to get out of this? Or, uh, what do you think the winner will get?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

K Religion: Does the other dwarf look like a cleric? A paladin? A lay worshiper? Part of any order she would know about?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Diplomacy to gather info: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

"One way to find out." Brunhild said. Taking direct action she got up and walked to the other table. "Name's Brunhild. From the Order of the Stone Heart" She said, making the sign of the King of the Deeps with one hand over her heart, her face like as stone mask. "Came here hearing that there be work, but haven't heard much in the way of concrete details. Could ye fill me in on what exactly is goin' down?"


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Astella listens as the bold dwarf goes over to ask what is going on. Some sort of a contest, she thought, but details were fuzzy, so she was glad that someone had asked the people who seemed to know something.


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides
Astella wrote:
With no one responding, Astella figured she would just stay where she is. She looks over at the table where the other elf woman sits, examining her companions.

The goblin, as far as you would guess, is around 20, maybe a few years above? He's wearing a chain shirt over a brown vest, with a longsword on his hip, and a light mace on the other. A small shield is on his back.

He's got a bit of an air of confidence.

The dwarf is wearing a grey-brown leather vest, a wooden shield, and a light mace on her hip. She's blonde haired, with a headband and some braids.

The tanned young man, who must be Roderick, seems like the laid back type.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28, it seems he's got a very keen eye, as he notices you sizing everyone up. He gives a suave wink at you as you meet his gaze, along with a slight raising of the corners of his mouth, but he speaks no further of it. He's clad in road leathers, and has a thin hairband underneath otherwise well kept hair.

The elf seems a little distant, rolling her eyes at the goblin's casual attitude.
"And you, Zoltan, think too lightly of things sometimes."
She's a redhead with well kept hair, in a particularly fashionable outfit, The outfit is instead a green leaf color with autumn shades of red and brown, instead of the purple and white. which is quite the contrast to her companions' 'fit for the road' style.

Astella:

There is a hint of a bracelet on her wrist, but most of it is covered by her sleeve, making its design hard to see.

Their portraits.
--------------------------

@ Brunhild, the dwarf's pendant is one a cleric would be wearing. It has a specific copper edge. It's one of the basic pendants worn by Stone City clerics.

As Brunhild walks up to their table, a deadpan stare on her face, the three briefly interrupt their conversation.

The dwarf, Serena, greets Brunhild back. "The Great King watch over you."

"Now wha's this abou' Order of the Stone Hear'? Some new organization, or wha'?", she seems as blunt and straightforward as possible at the moment. It dawns on Brunhild she may have been away a little longer than she had thought, with her own speech having lost some of the stone city accent.

"We've been on the road for quite some time, so no' all Stone City developments ge' through in equal pace."

Zoltan laughs, as his friend tries prying news from a stranger, instead of from the source itself.
Zoltan: "Lighten up, miss Brunhild. This whole gathering is formal enough already."
"We are, i reckon, as much informed as you are. We know no more than what the pamphlets give away."


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

At that moment, a door opens, and a man in formal attire enters the room.
Not posh in style, but formal enough to distinguish himself.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may i have your attention please.", and he steps up on a low stage.

"On behalf of Lord Markham, welcome to this occasion.
As you are aware, Lord Markham is organizing a competition on Emerald Isle, quite a way off the coast."

Briefly pausing to check if all attention is his still,

"There shall be a scavenger hunt upon Emerald Isle. Each group of contestants shall receive a list of objects to collect, which are to be given off to judge Thomas, the two of whom reside in a large house on site. Whichever group delivers them the required items first, shall receive ownership of property and lands on eastern Erathian border."

Kn. Nobility 12:

Lord Markham is an Erathian nobleman who served the crown, queen Catherine specifically, in a past war.

Kn. Nobility 14:

He also holds the title of 'Duke of the Western Lowlands', which consists of a smaller region on Erathia's western border.

"A ship will set sail tomorrow morning at 09.00 sharp.
There is a small port town on Emerald Isle, so lodging and purchasing of goods is possible."


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Astella says

Ah, do you happen to have one of those pamphlets? I only heard rumors that Lord Markham was organizing a team competition on Emerald Isle, and the reward was supposed to be big, like property and wealth. I, uh, well, I could use at least a little wealth to get back on my feet, so I came. But that is all I know. Honestly, I don't even know what events there are, or if I will be able to compete with my currently-inadequate weapons. I'd rather know up front if that is the case, so I can either arrange to borrow something, or leave before I embarrass myself.

She looks at each of the people at the other table while she is talking, smiling back at Roderick, and ending by meeting the eyes of the other elf, hoping they can get a little bit of information at least.

She surreptitiously tries to get a better look at the bracelet if she has a chance.
___

Edit because I cross-posted with the DM:

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 (fail)
Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 (fail)

Were we assigned teams already, or are we supposed to be making one now? Are there limits on team size, or could we make an agreement with the table next to us, for instance, to work together?

After the announcement, she looks around and wonders how big their teams can be, because the more people helping, the faster they could probably be.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

There were no assigned teams, specifically, but a table's occupants are considered a group for the purpose of the competition. Groups vary from 3 to 5.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

Brunhild nodded her thanks to the cleric. "New order, by dwarven reckoning. Seeks to spread the faith from the Stone City, ensure that all kinsmen-" She stopped as Lord Markham's man entered. "Another time." She said as she returned to her table.

---

Once the speech was over, she looked to her fellows and said "It seems like we be a group for this, for better or worse."


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.

Wow, this went really, really quickly in just a day!

Slightly earlier, catching up a bit.

"Thanks, Rowan. Sorry, I'm probably going to mispronounce your name a lot. What kind of accent is that, actually?" Estelle returns to the druid upon introductions, making some further small talk.

When Astella joins and asks about the teams slightly later, she blinks and turns back to three men at the counter. "They just said this was my group. I just... assumed that means we'll be a team of some kind? But, well... " Her eyes go over the elf's outfit for a moment, as if searching for something. "I could be wrong."

Daniel Cedric wrote:

Daniel merely enjoys the small meal, eating a little more than what was likely his fair share and clearly shows a desire to eat more, but otherwise keeps himself from doing so. He talks to everyone but subconsciously turns to Stella.

So... what are you all hoping, exactly, to get out of this? Or, uh, what do you think the winner will get?

The armored girl sits a little straighter when Daniel joins the table, but seems to relax again as the talk and speculation on the contest goes on. She gives him a soft, perhaps somewhat shy smile when he asks . "I only read the pamphlets. They even hung a few on the noticeboards of the nearby villages. But... other than the vague promises of wealth and land, I don't know any more than you. I... suppose I came because it's a chance to become someone of more importance, and more sway. If it's true."

Noticing the very poor state his gear was in, she decided to take the opportunity to ask. "Um, Sir Daniel, what happened to you, If I may ask? Half the things you're carrying seem like they're broken. Were you... attacked by Krewlod barbarians on the way here, or something? Are you all right?" she asks, concerned.


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.

Now, after the annoucements.

"Well, I did take one of the pamplets, yes. Just so I wouldn't forget where to be and when, at least," Stella says to Astella when she asks. "Here, you can read it if you like."

She opens her well-worn backpack at its resting place against the table, and takes the somewhat worn folder out for her. From a brief glance, the bag itself seems to have basic camping equipment at the top.

Brunhild Blackarrow wrote:
Once the speech was over, she looked to her fellows and said "It seems like we be a group for this, for better or worse."

"It looks that way. I wonder why he's doing this? Is he really giving away such a grand prize for a mere scavanger hunt, just to amuse himself...?" she wonders.


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

Daniel gives a slight grimace at the question of his gear.
Ah, No.. nothing so terrible. I was merely far to reckless and perhaps a bit foolish in a battle from the wars... I, you see I wasn't particularly supposed to be a combatant, but things never turn out exactly as planned and so I ending up in a... few small skirmishes. In saving my life, my equipment gave theirs. Though they hold a sentimental value to me, and I would see them repaired.... if possible. he gives a wistful smile.

Plus if I returned home with my equipment in such a state, especially my sword, mother would kill me.

You think there is likely something else, or perhaps information willful omitted in the story. But for whatever reason he doesn't go into it.

As the man enters and begins to go over their task Daniel's eyebrows scrunch slightly. Surely there is more to this than is apparent. I wager, if this is the challenge, it is of two things... either the items we are to find are of importance, or each item will be hidden behind a test or challenge of some sort... I do hope they aren't merely hidden around the island. I was never really good at finding things.


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

To Stella she responds

I think rich people are just like that sometimes. Some want to be generous, but they don't want to encourage laziness, so they set up things like this so there is at least the illusion of giving things away to the most worthy.

To Daniel she says

That's another possibility. There could be some trickery or secret underneath all of this that he wants discovered, so we'll have to keep that in mind as we compete.

Once she understands how the teams work, she goes over to the other elf's table, and says to all of them

Good luck to your team!

And tries to sneak a look at the bracelet without gawking.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Then she returns to the cat table and says

Okay team. Scavenger Hunt, boat is leaving at 9am tomorrow, so we should be there at least half an hour before that in case we encounter delays. Are there any preparations we can make in the meantime... should we do a group activity today so that we can learn more about each other, or do you want to just do your own thing until tomorrow, when we will need to start in earnest?

If you do want to do an activity, any suggestions? Something active like sparring, target practice, or rat hunting or something, or just a game, maybe some get to know you questions, or... really, anything. Thoughts?

Also, we should have a group name. Suggestions for that?


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

Ah, if only to be a bard with a penchant for lady chasing.

Daniel shrugs before responding to the remarkable pretty elven woman.
I would prefer not to deal with rats, if possible. And sparring can be dangerous, even with care. He remembers the bruises and injuries he often got when sparring with his mother and barely manages to keep from shivering.

Though it is a good way to determine ones strength... if you think we will be fighting during this hunt? I wouldn't be so sure but maybe? Where and how would we even go about it?... All said though, I wouldn't mind a bit more food, the road was a long one. He gives a mildly embarrassed chuckle

He thinks a moment.
A group name? I don't see a reason why we need one.. though the thought seems fun enough. It is clear he thinks the idea of a group name would be pretty cool.


HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

Brunhild raised an eyebrow at the bard. Her feet ached from non-stop walking. Her stomach yearned for real food, not the trail rations she had been living on. And her calloused hands wanted desperately to hold a true longbow once more. With the same serious look on her face, she said:

"I suggest a decent meal, uninterrupted sleep, and wakin' up early. I have a feelin' that we won't have a chance for the first two for awhile."


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.
Astella wrote:

Are there any preparations we can make in the meantime... should we do a group activity today so that we can learn more about each other, or do you want to just do your own thing until tomorrow, when we will need to start in earnest?[/b]

If you do want to do an activity, any suggestions? Something active like sparring, target practice, or rat hunting or something, or just a game, maybe some get to know you questions, or... really, anything. Thoughts?

"Do you have something specific in mind? With so many suggestions, I get the feeling you have more experience in this sort of bonding thing than I do. I'm... more used to being by myself," Estelle briefly looks away. "...Though, I guess we should at least talk about our general backgrounds and what each of us is good at; as in, relevant skills for this task?"

She takes a sip from her cup of mead. "I suppose I'll go first. Like Daniel, I was a soldier in the Restoration Wars. Originally I was from the Contested Lands, but I ended up deployed for AvLee. My... experiences in the service eventually made me leave. Since then, I sort of roamed around, since my family died long ago."

The soldier doesn't try to hide that it obviously isn't the full story, though perhaps this is the most she's comfortable in sharing. "I can defend myself pretty well with my polearm, I can track and forage, and I can usually see danger coming from far enough to avoid it. That's the most important bits, I think."

She then looks at the others expectantly.


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

What time of day is it? Is it already time for sleep?

Well, two votes for food so far, so that's a good idea. Perhaps we could at least eat together.

And good idea Stella. A group name will be easier to come up with when we know each other a little more.

Me, I grew up in AvLee, and during the invasion I was a sniper. Unfortunately, my bow is broken so I can't bring that skill to bear right now, but I'm quick and smart, and not too bad a locksmith actually.

Next? How about you, Brunhild? The quicker we get through this, the quicker we can go eat.

She smiles so Brunhild knows she is just joking, not demanding.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

At Astella’s reminder of food Rowän jumps into the conversation before Brunhild has a chance to respond, ”Nice to be meeting you all. I’m called Rowän, Druid trained during the war.” She gives a lopsided grin as she looks down at the lounging cat, ”This here is Briersting my bodyguard and professional lazybones.” The cats ears perked up when it’s name is mention but quickly looses interest and licks his paws.

”I vote food first too,” she agrees as her stomach rumbles loudly accentuating her words.


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

It is currently late afternoon, around 16:30.

Astella:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
At a brief moment, the elf's sleeve slides very slightly back, and you can see a few more details.

The bracelet's edge is a soft bronze-gold'ish color, and there is a hint of something blue in the middle.

Glimpse of what you see.

The elf notices you paying close attention to her wrist, and then tucks it way underneath her sleeve.

The elf looks at Astella, "What part are you from? Tularian Forest, Summer Glade, the Inner Woods?"
--------------------------------

Meanwhile other attendees trying to come in are pointed back at the door. It would seem all seats are taken means no more people admitted.

Outside some light go on, as the weather turned cloudy.
A signpost outside points at two different taverns, in opposite directions. One lies towards the waterfront, the other towards the commercial area.

Whichever you choose, the beds are adequate for the night, and dinner and basic breakfast is served.


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Blind Knowledge roll to see if I can figure out anything about the bracelet from my brief glimpse

Bracelet: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Sadly, the answer seems to be no.

Embarassed, but hoping they could just ignore it since she was asking her a question, Astella smiled ruefully and responded

Well, I was born in Pierpont, but my parents moved to AvLee when I was just 10 or so. I don't remember it much. Where are you from?

____

When Astella returns to the table and everyone has introduced themselves, she suggests that the group have dinner together at the tavern near the waterfront.


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

"A city within the Tularian Forest. Perhaps you have heard of it, Lilhsera?"

Kn. Local 12/ 14 for non Avlee:

Lilhsera is an elven city on the northwestern edge of the Tularian Forest.
It houses a college for arcane practitioners.


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.

After Astella returns.

"Sure! I could do with a meal, and then a nice bath. Maybe they'll even have a room with a view of the sea at the waterfront? Would be a great sight before setting off tomorrow," Estelle muses, then rises to grab her things. "Hm... think they'll let Briersting in as well?"


Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

”As long as this tavern is close,” Rowän said as she quickly rose from the table. With wry smile she gestured at Briersting with her thumb while she answers Estelle, ”Wherever I go he goes.”


HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

”Food it is then.” Brunhild said, wondering how much coin everyone had. She had enough for a night of luxury, sure...but just one. Things would get tight very quickly if the good life was expected long term.


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

A waterfront tavern would be nice. Well, for me, not for my equipment. Though that just means a few extra minutes of care for it before bed. A bath would be nice as well, but perhaps a swim would do just as good.

Daniel does his best to not think about the small amount of coin he has left in his pouch. If worse comes to worse, he would merely offer his services to pay for his stay.


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Of course. So we were both born in the forest. How did you come to be here?

____

Later

To Stella she says

I'm guessing they will be fine with a cat. Familiars and animal companions are fairly common.

She wondered if they would be open to her singing at the tavern in return for a meal. She really needed to do well at this scavenger hunt.

Has anyone come up with an interesting name for the group yet? We could go simple like Cat plus five, or just Cat 5... or something we all like... food? Hmm. Will work for food? ... Nah, sounds too desperate. I don't know. What else do we all like?


Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

Rowän puts some thought into a name for the adventuring group but nothing seems to fit. She is inspired as she sets her heys on Briersting’s tawny coat and suggests, ”How about The Tawny Band or The Tawny Knights for our name?”


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

That could work. I'll make a list of all the ideas and then we can vote after dinner.


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides
Astella wrote:
How did you come to be here?

The elf gestures towards her companions with an open palm.

"Various circumstances brought us together. We have been traveling together for a year now. A little more, likely."


Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

That's really cool to have people to travel with that you trust. I hope to have that myself someday. Much luck to you and your team in the competition.

_____

When they get to the waterfront tavern, Astella snags a table for them, and inquires about the price of rooms.


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

Daniel thinks back to the different orders of knights he basically squired for and their names. He would lie if he hadn't found them cool and inspiring.

What about... the Shields of Dawn? Or... the Iron Shields?


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

The elf nods at the luck wishing.
Zoltan the goblin stands up, and the other three follow suit as they too leave.

Heading out just before the party, the elf is last to exit.
She holds the door for a moment, looking back at the group.

"It would be fun to see an elf among the winners of the competition. See you around, snowflake.", she deliberately twirls a lock of her hair on a finger, before exiting.

"Hold up you three!"

...
.....
......
---------------------------

Currently, at the waterfront:

The tavernkeep charges 3 silvers a/night for a single room, breakfast included.

Taverns also sell rations. Can't travel on an empty stomach. ;)

Any last minute purchases? You'll have the opportunity on Emerald Isle, but just checking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Loot | Maps | CG Female Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 3 | HP 18/18 | AC 14 / T 12 / FF 12 | Fort +1 / Ref +5 / Will +4 | CMB 4 / CMD 16 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performance 9/10 | Perception +9 / Disable Device +9 | Spells 1L 2/3 | Low-light vision | Active Effects: None

Astella asks if they have shared rooms, and what the costs for those are.

While she waits she thinks back to the elven woman, realizing she didn't even know her name. She smiles to herself, wondering if she was imagining it, or whether she had really been flirting with her.

The nickname "Snowflake" was similar to what her mother used to call her (Snowflower). She wondered if it was the white hair that made everyone associate her with snow.

Then she snapped out of daydreaming, remembering that she was there for information and had to get back to the group. She turned back to the clerk, hoping she hadn't missed anything.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Druid (Nature Fang)HP 09/11| AC 15 / T 13 / FF 12 | Fort +4/ Ref +3 / Will +4 | CMD 13 | Initiative +3 | Perception +6

Noting her flaccid coin purse Rowän pipes up, "I don't need my own room either."


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

It only just now Occurred to Daniel, he would be stuck in a room by himself. Further more, he would be traveling with a group, himself withstanding, made up of females. His thoughts began to roam before he shook his head and brought himself back to the present. Looking around a little sheepishly he says.

I'll... well I guess I'll either get a room of my own or sleep outside. Though I imagine a comfortable bed will be hard to come by where we are bound. He says, more thinking out loud than speaking to anyone.

though I think I have enough for a good nights rest here.

Daniel has a few gold to spare left, but also has things one would need to sleep outside though I don't intend for him to. How much is lunch and dinner if included in staying the night?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP (27/27) AC (16/16/13, +1 vs undead) Saves (+5/+5/+6, +3 vs Spells/SLAs) CMD (20) Brunhild

"I'll share a room with ye." Brunhild said without a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "Saves money, and if we're to be fightin' alongside each other, then we should feel safe sleepin' alongside each other. Besides." She continued, a serious look on her face. "Any human dumb enough to do unwanted touching of a dwarf won't have enough fingers to try it again. So nay anythin' to worry about." If she was joking then it certainly didn't show in her voice or features. But given her squat form, muscled arms, and calloused hands, the threat did not come across as an idle one.


Female Human Fighter 1. Hp 14/14. AC 18 FF 17 T 11. Saves: F +3, R+1, W+2. Att: +4 vs AC, 1d12+4, Reach, 2 AoO/turn. Perc. +7. Conditions: None.

Estelle chuckled at all the naming suggestions. So the best they had right now were all centered around Rowan's cat? Still, maybe it was better that way. A light-hearted one was perhaps best after all the recent troubles plagueing the continent.

Once at the inn, the woman blinks at Rowan's offer to sleep outside or in his own room, and she'd been about to object when it clicks in her head and a blush makes her freeze halfway through the motion.

It wasn't like she was especially prudish, at least she thought she wasn't - one didn't see all the things she'd seen without growing a bit... used to what people looked like under the wear. Unfortunately, the knight was still quite handsome, like him , and there was no veil of professionalism to hide it behind in this environment.

Fortunately, Brunhild was there to save the day. And that was probably for the best, as unwanted memories were starting to surface.

"All right. I'll take a room for myself, then. Rest well, everyone. I'll see you tomorrow."

She waves after paying and taking the key from the inkeeper, then carries her bags to her room.


Male human Here is an image for Daniel Fighter 2 |HP: 28/28| AC: 22| T:13|FF: 19| Fort: +4 | Ref: +3 | Will: 0 (+2 vs charm, compulsion or emotion, +1 additional vs fear) | CMD:20(22 vs trip/grapple)) | Init: +2| Perc: -1

Daniel gets a little flustered at the comment from Brunhild.

I appreciate the sentiment, but its not a problem for me. I have the coin needed, and I wouldn't want to impose, and I would never dream of daring, you or anyone. Truly. Daniel gives a smile.

Its also, well, lets say its for myself as well. No need to trouble yourself.


Loot sheet No plunder, no pay Battle map--Misc info slides

And so the group, now bound by the competition, gets their hard needed dinner and rest.

It was even possible to have breakfast as early as 7.30, where bread, cheese, dried fruit and hot tea were available.
===============

The next morning, after everyone gets ready:

The waterfront is busy with sailors loading and unloading goods, soldiers organizing for a few vessels, and 2 large vessels attracting a lot of attention.

All attendees are gathered and get devided among the two ships.
The friendly quartet you met the night before is somewhere far ahead, boarding already. You are in line for the other ship.

Boarding takes less time than you'd expected, and then uou finally set sail for Emerald Isle which, according to the captain, will take 3 or 4 days, as weather seens favorable.

Anything you'd like to do during that time?

1 to 50 of 2,911 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Might & Magic, Lords of the Contested Lands. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.