Outpost IV - GM Valen's PF 2e 2-00 The King in Thorns (Tier 5-6)(30 Challenge Points) (Inactive)

Game Master Lysle

Status: Concluded. Chronicle link posted in Discussion thread.

Slides


1 to 50 of 339 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Within the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse, a large group of Pathfinders stands ready.

Grand Lodge

2-00 Success Reporting | 2-00 Success Tracking || Lost in Flames || Spell Templates | Starship Roles | ◆◇↺

**HOUSE GM ANNOUNCEMENT**

A small army of Pathfinders, you among them, wade ashore as the the Society’s expedition makes landfall. Venture-Captains and society faction leaders--many of them familiar to you--immediately begin directing Pathfinders in the myriad tasks that need to be done.

Welcome to PFS #2-00 The King in Thorns! GMs, please begin the Introduction. Part 1 begins in 2 days.

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

"Nita, my precious child, tomorrow morning I journey for the Expanse to do battle with Qxal. The Blessed Inheritor has made my path clear, and should I falter, I will falter on the path of righteousness. May you serve the people of Bhopan with honor, but I pray that your journey will someday bring you back to Jaribuni."

Having spent the last of her dream messages, Nina blew out the candles and drifted off to sleep.

---

A hooded figure carrying a white staff approaches the meeting point, and a pair of glowing eyes scans for dangers before emerging from the cloak. Nina's jewelry suggests a more noble background than her mud-stained clothing suggests, but a fresh wound from a serrated knife on her neck suggests that she is not as helpless as some assume.

"Nina Jaribu," she announces to those gathered.

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

A rather sodden-looking gnome reaches the shore with the others, looking non-too-pleased at having to have waded through the water just to get to land. After a brief examination, he gasps in despair and mutters the incantations for a simple spell, which seems to cause all the water in his clothes to simply fall off, leaving him dry and crip-looking.

The silver-haired gnome beams with delight then gives a well-practiced bow to those gathered. "Greeting!" he says in a most jovial tone of voice. "I am Gregol Silverbeard, thespian and wizard extraordinaire! It's is wonderful to meet your acquaintances!"

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

"Gregol, nice to see you again."

Nina curtsies.

Nina received my GM credit for Q05 and Q07 so she retcon-adventured with Gregol.

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

Farryn is carefully carried ashore by a muscular looking half-elf. Set down on the sand, his companion begins wringing out his sopping clothes as the halfling introduces himself, "Farryn Sarjyre at your service. I don't really have any pull here, but if you all find yourself in Taldor at some point I'll certainly be able to at least get you a nice place to stay."

He kicks off a bit of sand from his boots, "ANYWAY. I know a lot of shiz about stuff and can handle myself in a fight. Little bit of magic, little bit of alchemy, little bit of wound mending." His bouncy curly hair flops around in the humid weather. "Last time I was on an island, I almost died. I'd say lightning can't strike twice, but I quite often strike enemies twice with lightning so..."

The half-elf moves up behind him, "Ah, this is Chaz, my companion. He handles anything excessively physical for me and is compensated for his troubles quite well. He's working his way through college."

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Gregol takes Nina's hand in his, bending as if to kiss it, but stopping just short. "Nina! May I say that you are lovely as always!"


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Pathfinders hurry around the makeshift camp, packing and unpacking supplies, making repairs, and scribing scrolls. The atmosphere is excited but tinged with some trepidation.

Venture-Captain Oraiah Tolal from Nirmathas takes the lead, ensuring everyone has an assignment and is working on it. A religious symbol of Alseta—goddess of doorways, portals, thresholds, and transitions—hangs from her neck, showing two faces in profile.
Picture of Venture-Captain Oraiah Tolal now on Slides.

There is much work to be done in preparation of the expedition. Venture-Captains Oraiah Tolal, Bjersig Torrsen, and Khoumrock Blackthane plan to accompany the Pathfinders on this mission, along with faction leaders Calisro Benarry of the Horizon Hunters, Fola Barun of the Envoy’s Alliance, Urwal of the Verdant Wheel, and Valais Durant of the Radiant Oath.

There are six tasks that can be attempted in any order. Descriptions of the tasks can be found on the Slides.

For each task, each of the PCs may attempt one of the listed skills for that task. If the highest result succeeds at the task, the PCs receive a reward. The PCs can Aid each other, but any PC who attempts to Aid can’t attempt their own check.

If this PC has played either part of the Perennial Crown series (PFS 1-16 and/or 1-17):
You know that the Thorned Monarch is a fey. Being originally named Qxal, the Thorned Monarch sought to conquer Golarion before returning to usurp the First World from the Eldest. They poured much of their power into a demiplane to prepare for an attack on Golarion. Their symbol of rulership, the Perennial Crown, is an artifact that is the key to controlling the demiplane. It was only thanks to the efforts of heroes from the ancient empire of Bhopan, who managed t wrest the crown away from Qxal, that their attack was unable to proceed. The enraged Qxal destroyed most of the empire in fury, forcing its people to retreat to the island that still bears the empire’s name.

Horizon Hunters

Male CN Elf (Whisper) Raised by Belief Barbarian 6 | HP 97/97 (+9 while raging) | Resistances: Mental 2 | AC 24 (23 while raging); Deny Advantage | F: +13, R: +9, W: +11; +1 circ. vs emotion plus Forlorn | Perc. (expert): +11 (+2 circ. to Seek undetected creatures) | Speed 40ft (50ft while raging) | Class DC: 22 | Hero Points: 1/3 | Active conditions: None.

Approaching the group is an elf that towers over even other elves. He has an air of beauty about him that is juxtaposed by the large sword strapped to his back. A necklace depicting the triple daggers of Calistria clatters against the chains of his armor. For those who have met the elf previously, his demeanor is shocking, as instead of his normally-hedonistic persona the elf’s face is steeled and solid as he stares intensely at his compatriots.

”Celister Merionis. Nice to meet you. The VCs need us, now.”

With the brief introduction out of the way, Celister makes his way to the Venture-Captains and faction leaders in need of assistance. The elf looks off in the distance occasionally with a steely gaze. We’re coming for you, you overgrown butterfly. In the name of Calistria, vengeance shall be met for what you’ve done at Bhopan! Celister has played the Perennial Crown series, for the record.

Checks:
Inventory; Society: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Magical Supplies; Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Mapping; Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13 +2 if, for some reason, it has to do with Seeking undetected creatures.
Morale; Deception. Using Assurance to get an 18
Repairs; Athletics: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
Research; Society: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

Nina has played 1-16/1-17 and will share the information in the spoiler.

"The Thorned Monarch is a fey. Being originally named Qxal, the Thorned Monarch sought to conquer Golarion before returning to usurp the First World from the Eldest. They poured much of their power into a demiplane to prepare for an attack on Golarion. Their symbol of rulership, the Perennial Crown, is an artifact that is the key to controlling the demiplane. It was only thanks to the efforts of heroes from the ancient empire of Bhopan, who managed t wrest the crown away from Qxal, that their attack was unable to proceed. The enraged Qxal destroyed most of the empire in fury, forcing its people to retreat to the island that still bears the empire’s name."

Inventory (Survival): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Nina helps Urwal pack everything in the correct order.

Magical Supplies (Religion): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

Nina is well-versed with healing and guides Fola.

Mapping (Nature): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Nina is from Vidrian, and knows the terrain fairly well. She points out a few mistakes to Torrsen, and gives Mahki a treat.

Morale (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30

Nina makes the rounds, telling newer Pathfinders of her encounter with Qxal on the island of Bhopan, and reminding them that bravery and fear are not mutually exclusive.

Repairs (Athletics): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Nina's doula comes over and helps Nina with repairs, but if it doesn't involve repairing perineums, she's not as useful.

Research (Nature): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Nina's local knowledge of plants and animals helps Valais.

Using up all my good rolls in the first challenge ... nice.

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Gregol moves about, helping where he can, to the best of his ability.

Inventory
Society: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
He goes around making sure that all of the supplies will be useful for the expedition.

Magical Supplies
Arcana: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
He uses his expertise to help in creating magical supplies.

Mapping
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Gregol's keen senses can be put to use for mapping.

Morale
Performance (Acting): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Gregol puts on miniature one-man plays for the entertainment of the troops.

Repairs
Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Lacking the skills, Gregol uses what physical ability he can to help with repairs.

Research
Society: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Gregol puts pen to paper in helping with the research.

Vigilant Seal

Female NG Anvil Dwarf Rogue 6 | HP 76/76| AC 24 (paryy+2) | F: +11, R: +12, W: +12| Perc: +12 (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero points: 1/3 | Active conditions

A very practical dressed and direct dark tan dwarven woman greets you. She wears functional but otherwise unadorned breast plate. Tailored well to not limit her mobility. On her belt are some simple tools of a farmer, a hammer, knife, a sickle. "Well more hedge pruning it seems. Never really cared for the fey folk. But normally they stay on their side. I'm Helga of the Pahmet."

After her brief introduction she gets to work on the tasks at hand:

Inventory
Survival: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Helga shakes her head at some of the novices and even some of the more experienced agents. And mutters something about soft city born adventurers.

Magical Supplies
Arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
To show up those book folk, Helga quickly accounts and reorganizes much of the items to be more practical. "Ya don't want to burn the whole place down.

Mapping
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
After dealing with the supplies Helga heads out for some scouting but spends more times fighting with the trees than noticing anything useful.

Morale
Performance: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
It is a passable bit inspiration, but her boot camp drill sergeant is not for everyone.

Repairs
Athletics: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20
Helga move heavy things.

Research
Survival: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Worn out from the previous labor, she does not concentrate as well with the book things.

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

The halfling dives right into the tasks, moving quickly between them until all the preparation is complete.

Inventory
Society (T): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
He looks over the inventory and list of adventurer's, pointing out issues with any food that isn't edible for certain races. "No no, halflings can eat pretty much anything. I'm just worried about the elves."

Magical Supplies
Occultism (T) + Pendant: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 11 + 1 = 19
"Hmmm... well, I like what you've done, but you need to be careful about these reagents here. They bite."

Mapping
Survival (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
He glances over the maps, "Is that a ravine or a mountain? I never quite figured out which way elevation lines go."

Morale
uh...
Farryn leaves this task for others who are a bit less condescending than him.

Repairs
Crafting (E) + Crafter’s Eyepiece: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 13 + 1 = 15
Crafting (E) + Crafter’s Eyepiece Halfling Luck Reroll: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 13 + 1 = 18
"OH HECK YAH! This is my jam. See, this needs fixed and here is how..." He isn't very helpful.

Research
Society (T): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
"Reading, that is... definitely a thing I can do. And do often, yup. That's me. A big reader. Alright, I'll shut up now and read."

Grand Archive

Female NG Human (Kelesithe) human| HP: 48/48 | AC: 22/24 |F: +9 R: +9, W: +13[/ooc] | | Perc: +13, Cleric 5 of Sarensae (doctrine:Cloisture cleric)

At the last moment a young woman appears who by her symbols seems to be one of Sarensae's devotees, "Hello everyone my name is Kyra I was busy in some matters of my order when I was summoned by the Venture Captain, I hope our mission is pleasant and we can get to know each other better"

He quickly greets everyone trying to be as courteous and friendly as possible and places himself at the orders of Oraiah.

Inventory
nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Magical supplies
Religion: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

Maping
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Morale
Performance: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Repairs
Athletics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Research
Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

A great start! A least one critical success in each task, save Repairs, which is still a success!

As a result, each PC has access to the benefits of the Preparation Rewards posted on Slides.

With preparations completed and with such swiftness and efficiency, Venture-Captain Oraiah Tolal calls for all of the Pathfinders at the camp to gather for an announcement.

Now, we wait for the next House GM announcement.

Horizon Hunters

Male CN Elf (Whisper) Raised by Belief Barbarian 6 | HP 97/97 (+9 while raging) | Resistances: Mental 2 | AC 24 (23 while raging); Deny Advantage | F: +13, R: +9, W: +11; +1 circ. vs emotion plus Forlorn | Perc. (expert): +11 (+2 circ. to Seek undetected creatures) | Speed 40ft (50ft while raging) | Class DC: 22 | Hero Points: 1/3 | Active conditions: None.

Celister will grab a moderate antidote and a moderate acid flask. He’ll grab a cold iron crossbow bolt and give it to someone else in the party who has a crossbow (since Celister’s main ranged weapon is a javelin).

Also, if I may make a request: could we have some of the future maps shown since we received “a survey atlas with a map for each encounter in Part 1”?

Vigilant Seal

Female NG Anvil Dwarf Rogue 6 | HP 76/76| AC 24 (paryy+2) | F: +11, R: +12, W: +12| Perc: +12 (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero points: 1/3 | Active conditions

Helga will grab the antidote and bottled lightening. And what ever ammo anyone needs.

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Added my list to my profile. Also, I should be able to use the ammunition with my Telekinetic Projectile spell, if need be.

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

Free Items: mod bottled lightning, 2x mod healing potions, mod antidote, cold iron bolt. Farryn will take anyone's extra cold iron bolts, but he doesn't really use his +1 crossbow unless it is the only thing penetrating Resistances. Maybe we should split the extras between Gregol and him?

He moves around to his allies, "Great prep work there all. We should at least have a shot at our mission, whatever it is."

Grand Archive

Female NG Human (Kelesithe) human| HP: 48/48 | AC: 22/24 |F: +9 R: +9, W: +13[/ooc] | | Perc: +13, Cleric 5 of Sarensae (doctrine:Cloisture cleric)

Kyra takes antiplague bottle and frost vial, she takes the healing potions and cold iron bullets for sling

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

Nina looks at her hand crossbow that has never been fired, and laughs.

Nina will take a moderate antidote and a moderate bottled lightning for herself. If allowed to share items, Nina will take whatever ammunition is most valuable for someone else, and hand her potions of healing to someone else as well.

Grand Lodge

2-00 Success Reporting | 2-00 Success Tracking || Lost in Flames || Spell Templates | Starship Roles | ◆◇↺

**HOUSE GM ANNOUNCEMENT**

Everyone gathers around a makeshift stage as the sun starts to slip below the horizon. Pathfinders whisper to each other in anticipation.

Venture-Captain Oraiah Tolal addresses the group. “Pathfinders, our expedition begins tomorrow. We have a day’s travel to reach the site where we will find the Door of Seasons. The founders of our Society may have been unable to reach the realm that lies beyond this magical gateway, but we have something they lacked.” The Venture-Captain holds a verdant crown aloft. “This is the Perennial Crown, an artifact that will serve as the key to opening the door. I hope that Alseta will bless us as we find this doorway to a new place. From what we’ve been able to gather, there’s a demiplane on the other side. The demiplane and the crown alike are closely tied to the Thorned Monarch, Qxal, an evil fey who once terrorized this region. The Pathfinders who recovered this crown faced steep opposition from the Monarch, and I have no doubt they will defend the Door of Seasons even more fiercely. Be wary any fey you see along the way; they are likely to be working for Qxal. Stay in groups of four or more for safety and help each other. Make any final preparations that you require and get a good night’s sleep; your next few nights will be on the trail. We leave an hour after dawn.”

Day breaks, and the excitement around the camp is too high to allow any Pathfinder to oversleep. Agents perform morning rituals, eat breakfast, and take a final look through maps and plans. Venture-Captain Oraiah Tolal gathers everyone together one last time. “I know that we’ve prepared well. We’re going to stop this Thorned Monarch. I have a small gift for each of you: a signal whistle with an engraving of the Perennial Crown. Use it to signal your fellow Pathfinders if you need help. And now, into the wilderness!”

Table GMs, please begin Part 1.


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Picture of the Perennial Crown now on Slides/

True to her word, the Venture-Captain sees to it that you each receive a signal whistle. This whistle does not force other Pathfinders to come to your aid, but it just may get their attention when you are in dire need of it.
Rules for boosting and using Aid Tokens are now on Slides.
We should pass an Aid Token along as soon as possible.

The expedition begins quietly. A dwarven man in armor reminiscent of a metal diving suit sets his helmet in place as a half-orc woman in a tricorne hat lends a hand.

She ponders, “I like your style, Blackthane, but isn’t this a little more suited to underwater?”

Khoumrock Blackthane responds, “It’s good armor still, and I’ve made a few adjustments so it works better on land. I’ve come out of retirement for the sixth time, and I’m going to be comfortable.”

Calisro Benarry responds, “Can’t argue with that. I’m always comfortable.” She turns to address the gathered Pathfinders. “Pathfinders, we’re setting out. Our goal is a horizon that no one of this world’s ever seen. But Qxal is aiming to make sure we don’t get there. Everyone, stay sharp and work together.”

Blackthane adds, “And mind your equipment!"

You have your choice of situations to deal with!
1. Some animals are acting weird.
2. Some plants are acting weird.
3. Some new Pathfinders could use some help.
4. A new course nees to be charted through the wilderness.
5. A mushroom gate is acting as a portal to allow fey creatures in.
6. Things aren't what they seem in another part of the jungle.

If you could give me a full order of your preferences, it will save us some time.

Horizon Hunters

Male CN Elf (Whisper) Raised by Belief Barbarian 6 | HP 97/97 (+9 while raging) | Resistances: Mental 2 | AC 24 (23 while raging); Deny Advantage | F: +13, R: +9, W: +11; +1 circ. vs emotion plus Forlorn | Perc. (expert): +11 (+2 circ. to Seek undetected creatures) | Speed 40ft (50ft while raging) | Class DC: 22 | Hero Points: 1/3 | Active conditions: None.

Okay, so this is my first time doing a multi-table special in PbP, so I have NO idea how y’all handle the Aid Tokens.

Regardless (assuming I understand the rules correctly) I would like to boost one:
Attack for Allied Offensive; DC 22: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18 Sigh I needed a 7

Celister’s (not necessarily the player’s) priority list for the situations:
1: A mushroom gate is acting as a portal to allow fey creatures in.
2: Things aren't what they seem in another part of the jungle.
3: Some animals are acting weird.
4: Some plants are acting weird.
5: Some new Pathfinders could use some help.
6: A new course needs to be charted through the wilderness.

Vigilant Seal

Female NG Anvil Dwarf Rogue 6 | HP 76/76| AC 24 (paryy+2) | F: +11, R: +12, W: +12| Perc: +12 (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero points: 1/3 | Active conditions

Helga will let other take a crack first at the aid tokens since she is trained in most of those skills, but not great.

As for the order she is fine with Celister's list

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

Twas a good effort Celister, you probably had the highest mod of any of us to boost it.

Farryn's preference:

1: A mushroom gate is acting as a portal to allow fey creatures in.
2: Things aren't what they seem in another part of the jungle.
3: Some new Pathfinders could use some help.
4: A new course needs to be charted through the wilderness.
5: Some animals are acting weird.
6: Some plants are acting weird.


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Aid Token has been passed!

Calisro Benarry looks through a spyglass. “Fey. Lots of them. They’ve got to be coming through some kind of portal from the First World. I’ll take care of that lot while you look for the source. Watch for more coming through!"

"I suspect the Thorned Monarch is using mushroom rings to draw reinforcements from the First World." she speculates. "If we can destroy the rings, we can prevent some of the Thorned Monarch’s forces from even making it to the fight. The rings easily blend into the wilderness. If we want to put a stop to the rings, we first have to find them."

Each PC should each attempt a Perception or Survival check to notice the mushroom ring.

Based on the information you have, if you are using an Exploration Mode other than your default, please indicate that with your check.
I will roll Initiatives.


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

A youthful Taldan with dark hair. His leather armor is barely scratched, and the gloves tucked in his belt look barely stretched in. A distinctive curved dueling sword hangs at his hip.

"I'm Locke," he says to the other Pathfinders, breaking himself away from his concern with personal decorum. "I'm from, well, I guess it doesn't matter where I'm from at the moment. I'm a duelist and a lock breaker. I have your back if you need it."

You have an Aid Token to use!

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

Farryn moves up with his allies, searching for mushrooms growing in circular patterns.

Perception (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 (+2 to Seek & Keen Eyes vs. Concealment)

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

Iomedaedammit, in the time it took me to post in Discussion we've moved on ...

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Nina loves mushrooms, especially chanterelles. Ooh, is that a bunch of wild chanterelles?

Vigilant Seal

Female NG Anvil Dwarf Rogue 6 | HP 76/76| AC 24 (paryy+2) | F: +11, R: +12, W: +12| Perc: +12 (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero points: 1/3 | Active conditions

Helga pulls our her clan dagger ready to harvest some mushrooms, and slowly approaches

Perception (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Nature (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Didn't get to mention before that Gregol will always have Mage Armor cast on himself during the day.

Gregol allows his nose to lead in the search for the mushroom ring.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 (+2 circumstance bonus to sense an
unseen creature that is close enough for you to smell)

Grand Archive

Female NG Human (Kelesithe) human| HP: 48/48 | AC: 22/24 |F: +9 R: +9, W: +13[/ooc] | | Perc: +13, Cleric 5 of Sarensae (doctrine:Cloisture cleric)

Kyra put her senses on mushroom ring
`perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Not likely to get another post in today, so rolling for Celister to keep things moving.

Celister, Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Only the sharp-eyed elf spots the ring quickly, before any ferocious fey have appeared.

In the middle of a small pond, a ring of large toadstools glows with a slight magical energy. The ground inside wobbles, appearing almost translucent, as if it were possible to step right through it.

Given his observations and knowledge of nature, Gregol concludes that the mushroom ring forms a portal to the First World, allowing the Thorned Monarch’s reinforcements into the Material Plane.
Disabling the mushroom ring requires a Disable Thievery DC 21 (expert) or Nature DC 25 (trained) to rearrange the mushrooms to disrupt the portal (two actions), or dispel magic (3rd level, counteract DC 23) to counteract the magical properties.

Map of ring now revealed on Slides.

Celister, Perception w/Scouting: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 2 = 19
Farryn Sarjyre, Perception w/Scouting: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31
Gregol Silverbeard, Nature w/Scouting: 22
Helga Gulp, Perception w/Scouting: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 2 = 16
Nina Jaribu, Perception w/Scouting: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 11 + 2 = 20
PregenKyra, Perception w/Scouting: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 13 + 2 = 19
?, Stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17

BREAKING UP THE MUSHROOM RING! - Round One Begins!

PCs in bold may act

Farryn Sarjyre
Gregol Silverbeard
Nina Jaribu
Kyra
Celister

?
Helga Gulp

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

The halfling jumps into action, darting forward and trying his best to disable the connection to the first world, "Just... just keep them off my back! I don't want to die in the first sortie, maybe the third or fourth at the earliest."

Stride, 2x action Disable.

Thievery (E): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact
Farryn Sarjyre wrote:
The halfling jumps into action, darting forward and trying his best to disable the connection to the first world, "Just... just keep them off my back! I don't want to die in the first sortie, maybe the third or fourth at the earliest."

Farryn does not die. At least, not immediately. However, despite the movement of many mushrooms the ring remains ready.

1 Success. More are needed to completely disable the mushroom ring.

BREAKING UP THE MUSHROOM RING! - Round One Cont'd!

PCs in bold may act

Farryn Sarjyre
Gregol Silverbeard
Nina Jaribu
Kyra
Celister

?
Helga Gulp

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Gregol wiggles his fingers, chanting a spell with familiarity, before he moves into something more complex. Once he is done, he points his crystal-tipped staff at the ring of mushrooms, sending a surge of magical energies meant to undo what has been done.

Shield
◆◆ Dispel Magic

Counteract Check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Envoy's Alliance

NG female human (Vidric) aasimar sorcerer (angelic) 7 | HP 57/57 | AC 22 | P +12, F +11, R +12, W +14 | Default Exploration: Search | Senses: LLV | Focus: 2/2 | Spells: 1st (4/4) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (4/4) 4th (3/3) staff (3/3) | Hero 1/3 | Active Conditions: resist fire 5

Argh ... I just retrained dispel magic out of being Nina's second-level signature spell!

Nina moves up and attempts to rearrange the mushrooms.

Nature: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Assuming that the effect isn't higher than 5th level, I'm pretty sure that I nailed that roll. :)

Horizon Hunters

Male CN Elf (Whisper) Raised by Belief Barbarian 6 | HP 97/97 (+9 while raging) | Resistances: Mental 2 | AC 24 (23 while raging); Deny Advantage | F: +13, R: +9, W: +11; +1 circ. vs emotion plus Forlorn | Perc. (expert): +11 (+2 circ. to Seek undetected creatures) | Speed 40ft (50ft while raging) | Class DC: 22 | Hero Points: 1/3 | Active conditions: None.

I think it’s safe to say Celister has his sword drawn since he’s fully expecting to be fighting fey.

”Come on, can’t you guys work faster?!”

Delay. If hostile creatures show up on the ? initiative, refer to the spoiler.

If a hostile creature(s) shows up:
Celister un-Delays.

”Now we’re talking. By the grace of Calistria, fall dreaded fey!” [[A]] Rage

Celister shoots forward like a bullet and does several circles around the nearest creature before finally swinging his sword at them! [[A]][[A]] Sudden Charge. With 100 feet of movement as part of that, Celister moves adjacent to as many creatures as possible then spends the rest of his movement making circles around his target (the hostile creature furthest away from him if there are multiple); he’s attempting to trigger movement-based reactions if they have them. He’ll try to go into flanking with his target if at all possible.

Sudden Charge Strike: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35
Damage (doubled from crit): 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (10, 3) + 6 = 19 plus flat-footed for 1 round due to crit specialization and frightened 1 due to fearsome


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact
Gregol Silverbeard wrote:
Gregol wiggles his fingers, chanting a spell with familiarity, before he moves into something more complex. Once he is done, he points his crystal-tipped staff at the ring of mushrooms, sending a surge of magical energies meant to undo what has been done.

A second success! Alas, the DC for counteract is 23, so it is not a crit success. Additional successes are required.

A small, hirsute creature emerges from the ring. Upon spying you all, the hairy starts to bellow...

When the elven Pathfinder rushes forward, circling the newcomer with his blade.

Though wounded, the creature tilts back his head and laughs.
Each PC must make a Fortitude save (DC 21).

If you fail the Fortitude save:

You are slowed 1 for one round.
If you critically failed, you are stunned 1.

It, then, slams its club in the direction of his attacker.
Melee (club) v Celister, frightened: 1d20 + 14 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 14 - 1 = 28
Damage (B): 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 1) + 7 = 13

BREAKING UP THE MUSHROOM RING! - Round One Cont'd/Round Two Begins!

All PCs must make a Fortitude save (DC 21) or be slowed 1, before acting.

[b]Helga Gulp[
Round Two
Farryn Sarjyre
Gregol Silverbeard
Nina Jaribu
Kyra
Celister
-13 HP
Fey -38 HP (flat-footed)

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

I thought a Natural 20 increased a success to a Crit as long as it was above the DC and you only needed to beat it by 10 if it wasn’t a 20.


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact
Farryn Sarjyre wrote:
I thought a Natural 20 increased a success to a Crit as long as it was above the DC and you only needed to beat it by 10 if it wasn’t a 20.

I am open to discussion and may have missed a more specific rule, but I was relying on this part that states, "if you were going up against a very high DC, you might get only a success with a natural 20".

Envoy's Alliance

Active Conditions: NA | Exploration Mode: Search | LN Male Halfling (Tinker) Alchemist 5 | Halfling Luck 1/1 | Hero Points 1/1 | Speed 25 (bracelets?) | HP 56 (-0) | AC 23 | F/R/W +11/+13/+10 | Perc +10 (Low-Light & Keen Eyes) | Alchemist Fires: 6/6, Acid Flasks 3/3, Frost Vials 3/3, L. Elixirs of Life 2/2, Reagents 4/9 Remain

That line is an explanation of a possibility, not the rule for Nat 20's. The rule for Nat 20's is "If you rolled a 20 on the die (a “natural 20”), your result is one degree of success better than it would be by numbers alone." So, with a DC 23 and a Result of 31 he got a success. Because he rolled a Nat 20 it increased that success by one degree to a Crit Success. Right?

Also, I really try not to bring up any rules stuff in games. I let almost anything I see slide, even if I disagree with it because flow is very very important in games. But in this specific case, an extra success may free up a ton of actions for the rest of the group this round, so I wanted to make sure it was resolved. I'm definitely not trying to step on any toes.

Fort DC 21: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Waiting to see the outcome of this discussion before posting my two actions.

Horizon Hunters

Male CN Elf (Whisper) Raised by Belief Barbarian 6 | HP 97/97 (+9 while raging) | Resistances: Mental 2 | AC 24 (23 while raging); Deny Advantage | F: +13, R: +9, W: +11; +1 circ. vs emotion plus Forlorn | Perc. (expert): +11 (+2 circ. to Seek undetected creatures) | Speed 40ft (50ft while raging) | Class DC: 22 | Hero Points: 1/3 | Active conditions: None.

Fort: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

Tangential stuff about Delaying:
I think there was a misunderstanding with how Delaying works; I can’t un-Delay during a creature’s turn, so the fey would have had their entire turn before I acted. It would have resolved as 1: the fey laughs, 2: it swings its club, 3: I resolve my turn. So the DC of its laugh would be 22 (unless you forgot to apply the frightened penalty to that DC in the first place, which is understandable) and its club would not have been against me. More importantly, it would still be frightened (thus a -1 to AC) during everyone else’s turns, and I would be moved to immediately after the fey (and thus not be in this initiative block as I have already “gone”).

Now, if the mushroom ring was a separate initiative from the fey (such as if it were treated as a hazard), then it might resolve as you wrote in your post, in which case that’s fair, but makes it confusing since the mushroom gate isn’t listed in the initiative card that you put at the end of your post. AND by RAW I can’t un-Delay until “the end of a creature’s turn” (emphasis: mine), and since the mushroom gate isn’t a creature then I couldn’t un-Delay after its turn (but it would be fair to make a GM call that I could, because that’s CLEARLY not RAI).

Regardless, Celister is smart (or perhaps foolish) enough to at least watch what this thing does before he un-Delays.

Horizon Hunters

CG | Male Gnome Illusionist 5 | HP: 40/48; Temp. HP: 0/15 | AC: 20 (21 with Mage Armor; +1 for Shield) | Perception +9 (+11 to sense an unseen creature close enough to smell); Investigation (Academia Lore +11, Arcana +13, Society +11, Theatre Lore +11).

Fortitude Save vs. DC 21: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Perhaps it's the minute amounts of fey in his blood, but Gregol manages to avoid the strange effects of the fey's laugh.

"Think it's funny, do you?" Gregol calls out. "Perhaps this will inspire a round of applause!"

◆◆Produce Flame: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Fire Damage: 3d4 + 4 ⇒ (3, 1, 3) + 4 = 11
◆ Shield

Not likely, but the creature take 3d4 persistent fire damage, if that was a Crit success.

Grand Archive

Female NG Human (Kelesithe) human| HP: 48/48 | AC: 22/24 |F: +9 R: +9, W: +13[/ooc] | | Perc: +13, Cleric 5 of Sarensae (doctrine:Cloisture cleric)

Kyra focuses to dispel the magic
Dispel Magic: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Vigilant Seal

Female NG Anvil Dwarf Rogue 6 | HP 76/76| AC 24 (paryy+2) | F: +11, R: +12, W: +12| Perc: +12 (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero points: 1/3 | Active conditions

Fort: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Although slow off the bat, not slowed down by this strange creature. She then focuses on digging up and disabling the ring.

Nature: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
But does not seem to get anywhere. She then take a swipe at the creature with her clan dagger.

Flatfooted due to Gang up
Clan Dagger Attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31
Dagger Damage: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (2, 1) + 4 = 7
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5


Absalom Initiation (Table 1) | Absalom Initiation (Table 2) | The Consortium Compact

Thank you for your rules comments. I believe now that I had misunderstood in my quick reading (and posting during remote schooling hours).

GM Valen wrote:
Gregol Silverbeard wrote:
Gregol wiggles his fingers, chanting a spell with familiarity, before he moves into something more complex. Once he is done, he points his crystal-tipped staff at the ring of mushrooms, sending a surge of magical energies meant to undo what has been done.
A second success! Alas, the DC for counteract is 23, so it is not a crit success.

A crit success! Which constitutes two more successes. However, even with three successes, the mushroom ring is not yet disabled.

Celister wrote:
Tangential stuff about Delaying

Correct. I guess I had ready on the mind.

RETCONNING

GM Valen wrote:

A small, hirsute creature emerges from the ring. Upon spying you all, the hairy starts to bellow...

When the elven Pathfinder rushes forward, circling the newcomer with his blade.

Though wounded, the creature tilts back his head and laughs.
Each PC must make a Fortitude save (DC 21).

It, then, slams its club in the direction of his attacker.

Forgot the fey's aura too.

When the creature appears, its long, animated hair reaches out and interferes with creatures in the area.
Farryn, Reflex save (DC 18) v animated hair: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

The halfling is not harried by the trespasser's tresses.

The fey slams its club at the only Pathfinder within his
Melee (club) v Farryn against AC 29 for 13 points of damage.

Now, the elven Pathfinder rushes forward, circling the newcomer with his blade, bringing Celister within reach of the laugher's locks!
Celister, Reflex (DC 18) v. animated hair: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

The fey manes, but the elf remains!

Gregol Silverbeard wrote:
"Think it's funny, do you?" Gregol calls out. "Perhaps this will inspire a round of applause!"

The gnome gnearly ignites the creature's hair, but makes no flames among the fey's follicles.

Kyra, Fortitude save (DC 21): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Kyra is stunned 1
You may use a Hero Point to reroll, if you'd like. If you succeed, you may keep your dispel check.

PregenKyra wrote:
Kyra focuses to dispel the magic
Helga Gulp wrote:
She then take a swipe at the creature with her clan dagger.

I assume Helga is throwing the dagger at the fey as she is not within Melee range of it and the disable attempt took two actions.

The blade strikes true and becomes buried in the fey's curls.

BREAKING UP THE MUSHROOM RING! - Round One Cont'd/Round Two Begins!

PCs in bold may act

Farryn Sarjyre -13 HP
Gregol Silverbeard
Nina Jaribu (Fortitude save (DC 21) or be slowed 1, before acting.)
Kyra (stunned 1)
Fey -50 HP (flat-footed)
Celister
Helga Gulp

1 to 50 of 339 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Outpost IV - GM Valen's PF 2e 2-00 The King in Thorns (Tier 5-6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.