GM PDK The Rasping Rebirth (Tier 12-15)

Game Master Purple Dragon Knight

Maps and Handouts


1 to 50 of 333 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Initial scenario post will be Monday, Jan 13. Please feel free to dot/delete or roleplay at your discretion in the meantime. Assume you are all in Absalom... somewhere. First RP post to decide! :)

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

A tall, thin and shimmering merfolk woman glides into the mess of the Grand Lodge. She is dressed in overlapping plates of shining metal, shaped like gleaming fish scalees. She raises herself up on her powerful tail and scans the room for other likely Seekers.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Rand stopped just behind the mermaid and said "Excuse me, you're in the way." then turns to the group of initiates he was leading as he ushered them into the dining room and raised his voice, saying "As you can see, this is the dining hall; it's a place you will come to love, especially after Ambrus' lectures on trap detection." Rand smiled and said "This concludes the tour, and it's time for a test; make your way back to the great seal, where Ambrus is waiting for you. I wouldn't dally, and I wouldn't fail this test, or you might find yourself mucking out the hellknight's stables."

The group of fresh faced recruits stood there for a moment; Rand then said "You better get moving, and go quietly. I just told Ambrus you were on your way."

You could see the realization of what he had just said flood into their faces, and the group quickly scattered. Turning back to Lilliandra, Rand said "Gotta love Ambrus busywork. I don't think I've had the pleasure." while offering his hand.

"My name is Rand, former Iron Fist of the Immortal City of Quain."

The man was Taldan with blonde hair and blue eyes, yet he was dressed in a green silk kung fu outfit. The oddest thing about him, other than the many scars that covered his hands, was that his left hand appeared....newer? than his right hand.

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Lilly smiles at the man, her teeth perfectly white. Why hello she says, holding out her hand. My name is Lilliandra de Saavedra but my friends call me Lilly. Will we be travelling together do you think?

She scans the room for additional potential Seekers. And just what does the fomrer Iron Fist bring to this little expedition?

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

"I hope we will be travelling soon; I think Ambrus is going to want to have me start organizing scrolls by Ancient Osiriani name next."

At the second question, Rand simply looked down at his fists, as if that explained everything.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

A burly half-orc with large tusks moves through the crowd grabbing a hefty selection of foods.

He can be heard muttering about dukes and elementals.

He glances at the speaking pair, but finding them unarmed moves to sit at the closest unoccupied table.

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50

A bit of a ruckus is heard from outside the meeting room. A man is vociferously speaking as he opens the door.

"Late? Nonsense good sir. As always I am as fashionably punctual as I am punctually fashionable."

The man joining you in the briefing room does appear to be decked out in the latest Opparan fashion trends. Although, you are not sure when similarly attired simians perched on one's should became a fad. The blade had his hip has a bejeweled hilt and is kept in pristine condition.

"Greetings fellow men and women of adventure, I am Favian Aldori, a name you have no doubt heard before. It is a pleasure to make our acquaintance, is it not?"

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

That's a fine looking blade sir. Looks quite quick in the hand. Me, a large hammer with a black head appears in his hand, I tend to favor power

The Exchange

Male CN Kelish Human Swashbuckler 7/ Gunslinger 5 | HP 100/100 Temp 24/24| AC 27(41 vs AOO); T 198; FF 18 | Fort +13; Ref +17; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Grit/Panache 6/6 | Charmed Life: 4/4 | Active conditions:

Fandral comes in, hair disheveled and stumbling slightly. "Sorry, mates. Just got woken up. I thought I was retired, but guess they wanted one more piece at me."


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

An old lady busily bussing tables nearby takes a break, wipes the sweat off her brow, and reaches into her right pocket, pulling out a small piece of parchment, and carefully and respectfully approaches Fandral, handing the note to him.

Note in the Hallit language:
Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury awaits you at the Starrise Spire. Situation: urgent.

Please go ahead and fill the PC info on slide number two.

The Exchange

Male CN Kelish Human Swashbuckler 7/ Gunslinger 5 | HP 100/100 Temp 24/24| AC 27(41 vs AOO); T 198; FF 18 | Fort +13; Ref +17; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +6 | Speed 30ft | Grit/Panache 6/6 | Charmed Life: 4/4 | Active conditions:

"Ah, thank you" Fandral takes a moment to look at the note. "it appears that we are needed at the Starrise Spire. Immediately it seems. Jorsal of Lauterbury awaits. Guess I do not have time to sober up."


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

You are currently in Absalom, and due to the size of metropolis, can buy anything your gold and fame can afford. Please jot down any purchases in the Discussion thread, if applicable.

After the heroes complete their preparations and secure magical transport to Nerosyan, they are ushered to Starrise Spire.

"Greetings Pathfinders," says Venture-Captain Jorsal of Lauterbury, as he turns from gazing out a window of the Starrise Spire. Over his shoulder, the tortured landscape of the Worldwound broods in the distance. "I hope you all are well. This mission promises to be challenging, even for agents of your caliber."

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

"How can we help?" Rand asked.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

A lithe elven man, dressed in flowing off-white garments, more suited to life in the desert than southern Mendev, is already there as the other Pathfinders start to arrive.

He has sat there quietly until now, waiting for the rest of the team to arrive before questioning Jorsal too heavily.

It was the second time he had been asked to come out of his semi-retirement for an important mission... and the last had involved freeing a god. He could only assume this one had equal weight. Though judging by the Venture-Captain's brooding mood, and long face, he guessed it was likely something far more dire.

He nods at Rand as the man enters, introducing himself as Teriq Ashfall with a slight Osiriani accent. He presses his hands together in front of him, in a strange foreign bow, as part of the greeting. He is clearly not one of the far more common elves of Kyonin... his skin a darker shade, under jet black hair... closer in appearance to those of the Mwangi Expanse. In fact, he is not from the Expanse either, being one of the lesser known desert elves of Osirion.


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

The Venture-Captain nods and smiles upon hearing Rand speak up first. "Ah! Master Rand! I am glad my request to the Society was heard and that they have passed it along to you personally. The contributions you and Master Ashfall here have made to the Fifth Mendevian Crusade against the Worldwound were considerable, and we welcome your experienced fists, arrows and spells in this current endeavor. As Master Rand and Ashfall and some of you may know already, The Fifth Mendevian Crusade is over, at long last. With support from countless crusaders, including considerable assistance from the Pathfinder Society, a group of heroes has managed to seal the Worldwound. As a part of their charge through the Worldwound and into the Abyss, they slew a host of demons, most notable among them the demon lord Deskari. With the imminent threat of invasion gone, many of the holy warriors who served here have returned home. Mendev is still dealing with a continuing effort to clear out the Worldwound’s remaining demons, which is plenty of work to keep our crusaders busy. Yet danger remains—some opportunistic demons seek to seize upon pieces of the power vacuum left in Deskari’s wake. One such demon is the glabrezu Koth’Vaul, also known as Lying Horns. No doubt some of you are familiar with his vile history. His machinations have plagued the Pathfinder Society for years. The demon was a lead mastermind behind the siege of Absalom. It was his foul magic that granted unholy resurrection to the corrupted Venture-Captain Thurl, another great enemy of the Society. We recently brought Thurl to justice, but so far Koth’Vaul has eluded us. Now it seems that Koth’Vaul is picking at the seams of the Worldwound. Our scouts and diviners report that the glabrezu and his followers ventured into the Worldwound several days ago and tore open a portal leading to the Abyss. We can only guess at what his intentions are. Needless to say, the Pathfinder Society greatly desires to settle the score with Koth’Vaul and put a stop to whatever he is planning. Your task is track the demon through the Worldwound and into the Abyss beyond. End his miserable existence once and for all."

If any of you have played Pathfinder Society Scenario #9–25: Betrayal in the Bones, please PM me at this time. Thank you.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

"Koth'Vaul?" Teriq replies, with a frown. "Last I saw that one, he was still trapped in a cave in the mountains outside Korvosa, and had been for thousands of years. I'd heard he'd managed to escape, but didn't realize he'd gained such power in the short time since."

Yay, Night March of Kalkamedes. Who knew at the time it would start off a long demonic career. =)

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

Ah, Teriq. I haven't seen you since we freed the Duke. Another battle to join, eh.


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)
Teriq Ashfall wrote:

"Koth'Vaul?" Teriq replies, with a frown. "Last I saw that one, he was still trapped in a cave in the mountains outside Korvosa, and had been for thousands of years. I'd heard he'd managed to escape, but didn't realize he'd gained such power in the short time since."

"Indeed he has, Master Ashfall. We know that Koth’Vaul has gathered his most loyal servants to himself, suggesting he is planning something important. Based on reports, it seems six humans and three demons accompany him. It is likely that the humans are corrupted mortals who have given themselves over to Koth’Vaul. Although killing them may be necessary, it would be a virtuous work to bring them to redemption instead. Based on what trackers can tell, the three demons are likely vrocks. It is uncertain what his plans are, but so far all his schemes have been subtle and difficult to detect. The fact that he has shown himself so openly suggests that he is preparing for a major strike. Our diviners were careful not to delve too deeply, as Koth’Vaul has used divinations against us in the past. There is a good reason that glabrezus are also called treachery demons. Be cautious as you follow the demon’s trail and do your best to discern his true purpose."

The Venture-Captain pauses and looks out to the Worldwound once more, before adding, "Now, if you have any questions, now would be the time. While I understand the value of preparation, I urge you all to spend no more than one day getting ready, lest Koth’Vaul’s trail grow cold."

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Demons you say, this should be interesting. What might the rest of you know of such creatures? My own studies have been, extensive. When one lives out in the Great Beyond it pays to know about potential neighbours.

With that Lilly starts taking out various books, chronicles, scrolls and other paraphenalia. She activates a wand and casts a couple of spells as she mulls over the question of Vrocks and Glabrezu. A blank journal on the table in front of her begins to spontaneously fill with information.

Casting heroism on myself, using a wand of heightened awareness, consulting pathfinder chronicles and lastly casting page bound epiphany to see what I might know about vrocks then glabrezu

Planes on Vrocks, heroism, PBI, chronicle, HA: 1d20 + 29 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 29 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 61

Planes on Glabrezu, heroism, PBI, chronicle, HA: 1d20 + 29 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 29 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 56

I have some assistance I can provide to the rest of you. Fistly I can ward you all against the elements and any noxious gasses or the like we might experience. I can also enhance three pieces of armour for a lengthy period of time if it will help.

Lilly casts life bubble individually on each PC and familiar. She uses a lesser rod of extend to cast extended magic vestment on her armour and shield and to extend a delay poison on herself. She casts regular ant haul on herself. I have a second extend rod which means I can provide an extra three magic vestment spells if anyone needs one. It can make your armour or shield +3. These all last 26 hours so she recovers the spell slots given we are going the following day.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

Teriq nods respectfully at Thrag, recognizing him from his last mission.

Any further conversation is delayed by the Venture-Captain.

"How far is this portal he created?" He asks with a thoughtful expression, as Lilliandra already starts planning protective spells. "If we're already two days behind... "

"You say it leads to the Abyss... but that could literally be anywhere... or anything." He adds, frowning.


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

I gotta fever! and the only prescription is more Sky Swim!!

Lilliandra: you may look up and linkify for the group the entries on Vrocks and Glabrezu; you know everything about the base creature entry.

"Good. I will leave you to your preparations. Send for me when you are ready. This chamber is at your disposition. Oh, and Master Ashwal, our divinations indicate that the portal leads to the Rasping Rifts, which is the realm of the slain demon lord Deskari. It is an endless maze of chasms and rifts filled with swarming insects. Few mortals have ventured there and returned to tell the tale. In addition to hordes of demons, it is also inhabited by giant insects, mosquitoes big enough to drain a person dry, and terrible Abyssal constructs called retrievers."

The Venture-Captain exits the room.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

Oh great... a whole plane of swarms? Ick.

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Well, this is concerning people. Vrocks are especially dangerous given their ability to stun in an area with their screech. Those o you who use sharp pointy objects might want to find a way to bless them. Oils of bless weapon are cheap and effective but dont last long. I cannot bless your weapons but I suppose I could pick up a page of spell knowledge if really needed.

Glabrezu are much more concerning. They possess many powerful magical abilities including confusion, power word stun and reverse gravity. I trust agents of your experience all have ways to protct your minds from becoming confused, it would be annoying to have to neutralise you. Reverse grsvity is easily avoided with flight. Power word stun is more conerning although both Teriq and I can remove the stunning effect if need be. Let us hope that Koth'Vaul has employed his wish magic alreadt...

As a reminder, Heal gets rid of the stunned condition

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Retrievers you say? Well, what might we know about them.

With that she casts anothe page bound epiphany spell and the blank notebook begins to fill with knowledge plundered from libraries across Gloarion.

Arcana, Heroism, PBI, HA, PF chronicle: 1d20 + 17 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 17 + 2 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 35

If there are any start of scenario knowledge checks then Lilly gets +5 to them from the GM star reward chronicle. She also gets a free level 3 scroll which doesnt have epxensive components, any suggestions from people as to what might help? Its a small thing but might be handy and its free.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

Sky Swim? >8)
More to the point... if this place is a maze... we might need help navigating... And none of us are that conversant in the Survival skill... Is there a spell to help with that?
Perhaps a communal align weapon? shrug.

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50
Lilliandra de Saavedra wrote:
I trust agents of your experience all have ways to protct your minds from becoming confused.

"I have my impeccable Will, what more would I need?"

Nope, nothing special against confusion. As far as I know heal is one of the few counters. Calm emotions is too, but that requires eating up the caster's turns to keep it going.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Rand greeted both Teriq and Venture-Captain Joral appropriately, introducing himself to the former, and making small talk with the later.

Once the briefing started, Rand listened intently; while he got the main points, the finer points managed to elude him. It mattered not, he thought to himself, all I have to do is use my Ki to destroy evil.

He did have one question for the group when everything was said and done: "Is anyone here a tracker?"

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50

"No, I've usually hired a guide if I needed to go somewhere unfamiliar."


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Lilliandra:
Not all constructs are formed from unliving matter like stone, wood, metal, or dead flesh. In the darkest corners of the Great Beyond, certain powerful demon lords have mastered the art of shaping the raw, protoplasmic flesh of the Abyss into hideous monstrosities devoid of life, emotion, and the will to resist control. The monstrous retriever is the best-known of such constructs, a huge spider-like creation capable of unleashing potent energy upon those it has been ordered to seek. Demon lords use retrievers to seek out those who dare abandon their loyalties or flee from servitude. Often, the presence of a retriever in a demon’s den is enough in and of itself to ensure the loyalty of the lesser demons. The constructs also excel in tracking down specific objects and returning them to their masters—their intelligence is just enough to allow them to focus on their ordered tasks but not quite enough for them to form ideas of rebellion and longings for freedom. A retriever’s body is the size of an elephant, and its legspan is nearly 30 feet. It weighs 6,500 pounds. You also know two additional pieces of knowledge chosen from the following categories

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Special attacks and saves please.


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Lilliandra:
Retriever

Special Attacks: Eye Rays (Su)
A retriever’s eyes can produce four different magical rays, each with a range of 100 feet. Each round, it can fire one ray as a free action. A particular ray is usable only once every 4 rounds. A retriever can fire an eye ray in the same round that it makes physical attacks—firing an eye ray does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The save DC for eye rays is 19—the save DC is Constitution-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus. The eye ray effects are the following.

Fire: Deals 12d6 fire damage (Reflex half).
Cold: Deals 12d6 cold damage (Reflex half).
Electricity: Deals 12d6 electricity damage (Reflex half).
Petrification: Target must succeed on a Fortitude save or turn to stone permanently.

Saves: Ref, Fort, Will

I will now give you as much time as you want to prepare in real life, as your character will be departing for another plane. Once you have completed all purchases, please list those in the Discussion thread (if applicable; if not, just let me know you're ready) and I will move the action forward.

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Are there any knowledge checks we can make about the Abyss and conditions there before we set off?

OK people, retrievers, be careful, they have eye rays which can deal elemental damage or turn you to stone. It might be wise to inest in a scroll or two of stone to flesh maybe.


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Sure, go ahead.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Nice to have someone who can do knowledge checks.

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50

Favian considers the features of the plane itself.

Kn. Planes: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (2) + 21 = 23


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Lilliandra and Favian: after comparing notes for a few minutes you sum up the 'basic rules of the Abyss' for everyone. See Slide 4 for a summary.

The Exchange

| Init +12-18 | HP: 173|133 | AC: 35 (19 Tch, 34 FF) | CMB +8, CMD 28 | F:+19, R:+16, W:+19 | Per: +25, SM: +22
Buffs:
Longstrider, Ext Magic Vestment x2, Ext Delay Poison, Ant Haul, Planar Infusion 1, Ext Heroism, BBPill, DV, BoF
Resources:
Spells: 5|8|5|5|6|5; Reroll 1|1; PT 10|10
Conditions: FoM, Images 3

Lilly will purchase a scroll of stone to flesh just in case.

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50

"I'm sure there are plenty of spells that could be useful."

Planar Orientation

Bestow Planar Infusion

Talisman of Reprieve

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

Thrag will join the others and purchase a scroll of Stone to Flesh.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Rand will purchase some food and water, enough to sustain him for two weeks.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

Seeing Rand walk in with a pile of rations Thrag has an oops moment and runs back to the quarter master.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Rand chuckles as he watches Thrag go running off, then stores his food in a satchel bag he bought for just such a purpose.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Fighter 13 | HP 147/147 | AC 33(31) T 16(14) FF 29(27) | CMB +19, CMD 35 | F: +16(14), R: +13(11), W: +14(12) | Init: +4 | Perc: +17, SM: +16 [/ooc] | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Swarm poison (-2 on d20s and AC)

Just be glad Teriq can create water. It was scorching on our last mission.

Scarab Sages

NG Elf Flame Oracle - Fire Elemental (HP 129/129 (DR 5/-, ResistFire 20) | AC 29, Tch 21, FF 17 | CMD 32 | Fort +13, Ref +20 (evasion), Will +13 (+1 ench/fear/conf, +2 death) | Init +12 | Perc +17 | Speed 40' | Spells: Lv1 7/7, Lv2 7/7, Lv3 5/7, Lv4 4/7, Lv5 4/6, Lv6 3/5, Lv7 2/3 ) Active Effects: Elemental Body IV, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Freedom of Movement, Talisman of Reprieve (+4 Survival/Spellcraft), Divine Favor

"The hills of the Brazen Frontier lend themselves to survival skills." Teriq replies with an impassive look. "One quickly learns that water is worth more than gold there."

He pauses for a moment, then adds. "At least those that survive learn that."

Liberty's Edge

CN Osirian Ranger 2/ Sorc 7/ EK 3/ Hp: 74/79 +19temp/ F:+8 R:+11 W: +7 / CMD: 27 / AC 24, flat 17, touch 13 / Init +5 / Perc. + 20 Speed 30’, Fly 60’ / Spells remaining 7 first, 2 second, 3 third, 3 fourth / Active Conditions: Life Bubble, False Life, darkvision, bull strength, gravity bow, Resist Acid 20, Endure Elements

A dark-skinned Osirian man wearing blue robes and a blue turban becomes visible. He bows. ”Greetings to you all. I am Tothek. I apologize for my lateness, but I was quite far from here when I received the summons. I am happy to contribute my humble tracking abilities to this effort. I have never been to the Abyss before, but how bad can it be?”

He has a small pack in the center of his back, and strapped to it are two quivers of arrows and an expensive looking longbow. Most interesting of all, however, are his eyes, which sparkle with a shiny golden color.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

At Tothek's rhetorical question, Rand simply says "Bad."


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Feel free to complete any other purchases you may want at this time; when the heroes are ready and send for the Venture-Captain, the following occurs:

An old crusader still clad in heavy chain mail despite a severe limp arrive at your location, carrying bundles of scrolls in one arm and supporting himself with an old darkwood cane with the other. "Follow me, Good Seekers. The Venture-Captain has managed to pull a few strings for you, young ones... But heed these rules as you go into the Wound! Don't eat anything you didn't bring in with you. Don't drink any water you haven't boiled. Don't touch anything that's growing. Hell, don't touch anything that's dead, either! You know what I've ever touched there in the Worldwound? Only things that came in with me and haven't left my sight, that's what. That's why I'm still alive after all these years on the line. If you don't want to be included in the list of dead ones, follow orders, watch your fellows, and keep your eyes sharp. And don't. Touch. Anything!"

The old man brings you to Jorsal's current location in an alley behind the Lodge, and departs. The Venture-Captain then cryptically asks you all to follow him into the streets. After a few twists and turns, you arrive at some inn's stables. The Venture-Captain closes the double doors once you enter the stables, and you see a robed mage awaiting you all, along with his apprentice and scribe. The stables have been emptied of horses, but despite these efforts, and even though the doors have been closed, the sound from the busy streets outside is considerable, and you think you can all converse without worrying about spying ears. The windows to the stable have also been shuttered. You quickly find out that Jorsal has arranged a greater teleport spell for the heroes...

"My good mage friend here is familiar with the Worldwound, and he can deposit you all within a few miles of the portal to the Abyss, as close as the translocation spell will function," says Jorsal, looking to each and everyone of you. "This is it, noble Seekers. Now if you have any contingent requests or letters you want to file to my care, I will make sure they reach the intended recipient, in the unfortunate event that something happens to you over into The Great Beyond. I wish you all the best of luck, and may the gods and goddesses be with you." He shakes hands with each of you, and gathers any documentation you submit to him, then steps back, nodding at the mage in front of you.

In one instant you depart the hustle and bustle of Nerosyan to arrive... ... ...into the uncomfortable quiet of the Worldwound.

...

...

...

You begin to trudge through the still quaking lands, avoiding the most dangerous rock slides and managing not to come in contact with any of the super heated toxic geysers shooting out of the tortured ground. What should have taken an hour at most takes at the very least 3 or maybe four hours due to the broken, ever-shifting topography.

After a disturbing hike through the poisonous landscape, a gaping chasm rends the ground before you, a blood-red glow emanating from its depths. The rocky walls of the chasm are blanketed with buzzing locusts, and the sickly sweet scent of rotted fruit fills the air. An armored figure lying in a pool of blood near the edge of chasm suddenly lets out a gasp and speaks in a pained, halting voice.

"Help... you must stop the demon. I tried to slay him but was struck down. He is searching for Riftcarver... a legendary weapon. He wants to use it... to open portals... summon demons."

The wounded figure lets out a hacking cough and continues, "You must find the weapon. Only Riftcarver can kill Koth’Vaul. It is guarded... the belly of a demon-beetle... the Eternal Hive... near the ruins of Deskari’s castle. Use its power... to kill Koth’Vaul."

With a final, tortured gasp, the man dies.

The Exchange

”Rand” | Male LG Medium Human Unchained Monk 13 | HP 134 (134) | AC 38; T 28; FF 32 | CMD 46| F +13 R +16 W +16; +2 vs. Enchantments | Init +8 | Perc +24 | Speed 70 ft | Ki Pool: 12 (13) | Active Conditions: Barkskin; -1 penalty to AC, d20 rolls, and effect DCs (factored in above).

Rand pauses a moment to offer a silent prayer for the man's passing.

Once finished, he asks "Does anyone know anything about either the Eternal Hive, Deskari's Castle, or Riftcarver?"

Sovereign Court

Neutral Human Magus 12 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 87/87 | AC: 33 (28 T, 18 F) | CMD: 37 | F: 14, R: 16, W: 11 | Init: 20 | Perc: 14 | Speed 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Arcane Pool 13/14 | Lesser Extend Rod 0/3 | Pearl I 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Ablative Barrier 20/50

Kn. Planes (Eternal Hive): 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (12) + 21 = 33
Kn. Planes (Deskari's Castle): 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (13) + 21 = 34
Kn. Planes (Riftcarver): 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35


Knowledge Checks The Rasping Rebirth (Maps & Slides)

Knowledge (The Planes) DC 20:
Riftcarver: the legendary scythe that Gwythion mentions was Deskari’s favored weapon. It spreads infection with every strike and has the power to cause earthquakes and tear open portals to other planes.

Knowledge (The Planes) DC 30:
The Eternal Hive: the Eternal Hive was one of Deskari’s earliest creations, a hyper-intelligent hive mind of insects housed within the body of an enormous demon-beetle. The massive creature served both as a troop transport for Deskari’s elite retriever constructs and as an incubator for the demon lord’s brood of experimental demon creations. The Eternal Hive used to reside within the fortress of Deskari, but his fortress now lies shattered since his defeat.

1 to 50 of 333 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay for GM PDK's Rasping Rebirth All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.