Terra Nova Campaign - The Black Hearts' Incident - by DM DoctorEvil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

The spin off thread for those investigating the strange occurrences around the Black Hearts tribe of Novans.

Battle Map


51 to 82 of 82 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Male Elf | HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Perc: +7; Stealth +7 Fighter 1 | Speed 35ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Reactions: AoO/Shield Block | Conditions: None

The elf opens the door, and quickly evaluates what he can see.


Male N Human (Novan) Herbalist Druid 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 16 | Fort: +4; Reflex: +5; Will +9 | Perc: +7; Stealth +5 | Speed: 25 | 1st Spell Slots: 1/2 | FP: 2 | HeP: 1 | Acro: +5; Craft: +4; Diplo: +3; Lore (Herb): +4; Nat: +7; Surv: +7 | Str: +1; Dex: +2; Con: +1; Int: +1; Wis: +4; Cha +0 | Current Effects: None

Waiting to see what is behind the door before posting my actions.


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

I imagine Blake isn't up yet. I'm patient, just posting in case I've missed something.


Sakima wrote:
Can I dismiss the pest form and break free of the web?

You can change forms as the ability allows, but you will still be immoblized. Go ahead and post whatever action, if any, you'd like.


Spider Surprise - Round 2 - continued

25 Adair
17 Sakima (immobilized)
14 Blake (40' away)
10 Tatanka
8 Spider

Adair pushes open the door to the cabin, which is unlocked, and peers inside. It is dark in the cabin, but he can hear the cries and see the Sakima/skink trapped under a blanket of spider webbing near the door. His elvish eyes see the outline of a great spider in the doorway.

Sakima, Blake, and Tatanka are up now but they will need light inside the cabin to see if in human form, I think.

Blake Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

Seeing the turmoil, Blake whips out a torch, lights it with flint and steel, then advances towards the front door, torch and rapier in hand.


Sakima fights against the binding webs.

Strength to break out: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

His small reptilian heart pounds in his chest as he fights against the sticky webs that hold him.


Male Elf | HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Perc: +7; Stealth +7 Fighter 1 | Speed 35ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Reactions: AoO/Shield Block | Conditions: None

For the record: 1) Interact/Manipulate Door
2) Seek
3) Interact/Manipulate blade


Blake Fleming wrote:
Seeing the turmoil, Blake whips out a torch, lights it with flint and steel, then advances towards the front door, torch and rapier in hand.

So this is really 2 interactions with the torch, one to find, and one to light. Then a Stride action which covers 25'. You will end up 15' away from the cabin door at the end of this round.


Adair wrote:

For the record: 1) Interact/Manipulate Door

2) Seek
3) Interact/Manipulate blade

I am assuming this applies to the prior posted action. It might be helpful if you list your actions in encounter mode in OOC type for a while, as we all get used to it.


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

Understood. 15' away Blake is then.


Spider Surprise - Round 2 - continued

Trapped by the spider's sticky webs, Sakima/skink tries to struggle against the bonds, but cannot free itself.

Blake pauses to retrieve and light a torch, and with blade in one hand and fire-brand in the other, he moves towards the cabin, covering just over half the distance.

The action is down to Tatanka. Please see my note in Discussion about the 24 hour rule.


Male N Human (Novan) Herbalist Druid 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 16 | Fort: +4; Reflex: +5; Will +9 | Perc: +7; Stealth +5 | Speed: 25 | 1st Spell Slots: 1/2 | FP: 2 | HeP: 1 | Acro: +5; Craft: +4; Diplo: +3; Lore (Herb): +4; Nat: +7; Surv: +7 | Str: +1; Dex: +2; Con: +1; Int: +1; Wis: +4; Cha +0 | Current Effects: None

Seeing that the room is still very dark inside, Tatanka focuses for a moment while holding his staff. Chanting softly in Druidic, he then thrusts his staff out towards the doorway. Shooting out from the tip of his staff are four green spheres, each shedding a bright green light as it moves into the hut. Slowing as they move, they each stop in a rough square in the center of the room, near the ceiling.

If the room is safe to enter:
Tatanka will move just inside the doorway, staying near the wall and stepping to the side.

If not:
Tatanka will drop one of his hands from his staff, pulling out a javelin from its quiver at his back.

First Action: Verbal spellcasting component; Second Action: Somatic spellcasting component; Third Action: either Stride or Interact.


Spider Surprise - Round 2 - concluded

Tatanka needs light to see what the trouble is, so after as series of hand motions and strange phrasings, a series of greenish orbs of light float from his staff around the front room of the cabin.

You can see the place is terrible disarray but the most striking thing is a hulking spider the size of a dog in the doorway to the room on the right hand side, which seems to be intent on devouring Sakima, still in skink form, who is webbed up just inside the door.

Tatanka steps inside, leaving the doorway clear for others, and is still about 25' from the spider. Another doorway leads to a room on the left side of the main cabin area, which is mostly out of sight and in dim to dark illumination.

The spider advances on the skink, heedless of the others, and ready for a meal. Its attacks the small lizard with its venomous fangs, but Sakima is just able to twist away and the deadly attack just misses him.

The light, the sounds of combat, and the squeal of the skink as it fights for its life, draw the attention of another spider from the other room, which appears illuminated now i the doorway of the other side room.

End of Round 2

Spider actions:Stride and Strike

GM Screen:

Spider 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Spider 1 Fangs: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


Spider Surprise - Round 3

25 Adair
17 Sakima (immobilized)
15 Red Spider
14 Blake (15' away)
10 Tatanka (sustaining dancing lights
8 Blue Spider

New round opens with Adair and Sakima acting first. Please note the amateur battle map I added via Google Drawing and linked at top.


Sakima again struggles against the bindings.

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

He seems to be tiring and getting weaker the longer he is bound.


Male Elf | HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Perc: +7; Stealth +7 Fighter 1 | Speed 35ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Reactions: AoO/Shield Block | Conditions: None

With his blade already in hand, the one spider so close, and the room lit, Adair doesn't even hesitate as he moves in and goes to stop the spider from getting the meal it is so focused on . . ..

1) Stride
2) Strike
2) Strike

Kukri: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Slashing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Kukri w/ second: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 9 - 4 = 17
Slashing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Spider Surprise - Round 3 - continued

Adair strides purposefully towards the aggressive spider and slashes at it with his kukri. The first attack caroms off the carapace or the large arachnid, so Adair tries again, this time successfully plunging the knife in. The elf is rewarded with a sticky green ichor that oozes from the slicing cut but the spider is far from out of the fight.

The second spider (red) skitters out fo the side room and spying mobile food choices, it aims to slow them down to make an easier meal. Almost at once, strands of thick webbing zip across the small front room, piling up around Tatanka but does not bind the Novan.

Ok, Blake and Tatanka are up now before the other spider acts.

Red Spider web: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Male N Human (Novan) Herbalist Druid 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 16 | Fort: +4; Reflex: +5; Will +9 | Perc: +7; Stealth +5 | Speed: 25 | 1st Spell Slots: 1/2 | FP: 2 | HeP: 1 | Acro: +5; Craft: +4; Diplo: +3; Lore (Herb): +4; Nat: +7; Surv: +7 | Str: +1; Dex: +2; Con: +1; Int: +1; Wis: +4; Cha +0 | Current Effects: None

Concentrating on maintaining his spell, Tatanka will move up towards the spider that had spat at him. Once he is next to it, he brings his staff down in a two-handed strike at the multi-limbed beast.

Staff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage (B): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

First Action: maintain spell; Second Action: Stride; Third Action: Strike.


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

Seeing the danger to his companions from these vermin, Blake jogs past the spider - then circles around and strikes!

Move, move, attack.

The idea is to get Blake into a flanking position with Adair.

Rapier vs FF spider: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Damage, including sneak attack: 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (6) = 12

As he drives the point of his rapier towards the spider, Blake quips:

"We shall soon be done with these verminous pests!"


Spider Surprise - Round 3 - concluded

Blake moves into the house and circles towards the spider but his stabbing attack with his rapier misses.

Tatanka strides towards the newly arrived arachnid and pounds it with his staff cracking the outer exoskelton slightly.

Blue spider does not like a foe behind it, so it skitters backwards striking it fangs at Blake once it can see him clearly again. The fangs strike the rogue in the neck and he is hurt very badly even before the poison begins to work on him.

Blake is critically hit for 14hp dmg and is poisoned by the spider venom. The poison does 4 more hp dmg and gives him the dying 1 condition. He will need a stabilize flat check next round and a DC 16 Fort save vs the poison.

End of Round 3

blue Spider fangs: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 Critical success!
Critical Dmg: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 4) + 4 = 14
Blake DC 16 Fort vs Poison: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Venom dmg: 1d10 ⇒ 4


Spider Surprise - Round 4

25 Adair
17 Sakima (immobilized)
15 Red Spider (9hp dmg)
10 Tatanka (sustaining dancing lights)
14 Blake (0hp, dying 1, poisoned)
8 Blue Spider (6hp dmg)

Round 4 opens with Adair and Sakima up to begin the round.


Male Elf | HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Perc: +7; Stealth +7 Fighter 1 | Speed 35ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Reactions: AoO/Shield Block | Conditions: None

The elven warrior moves forward and continues trying to end this threat before anyone else is so badly injured.

1) Stride
2) Strike
3) Strike

Kukri: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Slashing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Kukri w/ second: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 4 = 18
Slashing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Since 17 hit last round, I'm going to assume that only did both hit, but that 22 is a critical.

Critical Damage for Attack 1: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

So, that would be 10 HP and 5 HP to go with my 6 from last round. 21 enough? I hope?


Third time lucky?

Sakima struggles again against his bindings.

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Is that 1 action?


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

The venom strikes Blake down shockingly swiftly and the noble slumps like a fallen sack of potatoes.

Recovery check rules, which strangely weren't linked to from the dying condition srd text.

Recovery Check DC 11: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Fort Save vs Poison DC 16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Venom Damage (?): 1d10 ⇒ 8


You score a critical hit on a nat 20 or when your attack is 10+ the critters AC, in this case for Adair that attack is not a critical but it is a hit.

Spider Surprise - Round 4 - continued

Adair continues his assault on the Blue Spider, hitting it twice. Undaunted but obviously hurt badly, the spider continues to try to make a meal from the men.

Sakima the Skink continues to struggle with the webbing and remains immobilized.

Yes, the Escape check is one action. You may try up to three per round, though if you have a critical failure (DC less 10 or more) then you may not attempt any more that round. Just a reminder the Escape DC 1s 17 for the webbing. Go ahead and try twice more if you want.

Red Spider tries to sink his fangs into the man who cracked its shell but Tatanka manages to avoid the sting.

The poison coursing through Blake's system causes him to remain on the edge of death.

You recover, but the new damage causes you to go back to dying 1 condition. Need DC 11 Flat check next round and DC 16 fort save. Tatanka is up before the last spider closes the round.

Red Spider strike, fangs: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Human (Valerian)Rogue (scoundrel) 1 | HP: 0/16 | AC: 15, TAC: 12 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +6 | Perc: +6 Society +5 Deception/Diplomacy/Intimidation +7 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | | Active conditions: Poisoned, Dying 1

On the ground, Blake twitches.

Check DC 11: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Fort Save DC 16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Sakima continues to struggle

Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Sakima is out and dismisses his skink form, bursting up into his human shape.


Male N Human (Novan) Herbalist Druid 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 16 | Fort: +4; Reflex: +5; Will +9 | Perc: +7; Stealth +5 | Speed: 25 | 1st Spell Slots: 1/2 | FP: 2 | HeP: 1 | Acro: +5; Craft: +4; Diplo: +3; Lore (Herb): +4; Nat: +7; Surv: +7 | Str: +1; Dex: +2; Con: +1; Int: +1; Wis: +4; Cha +0 | Current Effects: None

Tatanka continues to focus on maintaining the lights he conjured, befoe swinging his staff down on the spider again. He en moves back to the corner of the room.

Staff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

First Action: maintain spell; Second Action: Strike; Third Action: Stride.


Spider Surprise - Round 4 - concluded

Tatanka swings his staff again at the arachnid but the foe has learned its lesson and avoids the staff which misses.

Sakima finally frees himself from teh confines of the webbing and immediately changes back into man-shape determined to help out in this fight.

Beaten badly by Adair, the blue spider steps back away from the melee and discharges strands of sticky webbing at the elf, trying to stop the assault. The webbing binds Adair to the floor, holding him fast.

Blue Spider web: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Adair is now immobilized and needs an Escape (DC 17) check to free himself from the webbing.

End of Round 4


Spider Surprise - Round 5

25 Adair (immobilized)
17 Sakima
15 Red Spider (9hp dmg)
10 Tatanka (sustaining dancing lights)
14 Blake (0hp, dying 2)
8 Blue Spider (14hp dmg)

This round begins with Sakima who in no longer immobilized, and Adair who is newly immobilized.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Elf | HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Perc: +7; Stealth +7 Fighter 1 | Speed 35ft | Hero Points: 1/1 | Reactions: AoO/Shield Block | Conditions: None

Escape, my choice of an unarmed attack (+9), an acrobatics check (+4), or an athletics check (+6). I wonder which I should use . . .. No, I don't.

Unarmed Escape Attempt 1 DC17: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Unarmed Escape Attempt 2 DC17: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Unarmed Escape Attempt 3 DC17: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Third time really IS the charm! Critical success let's me stride 5' as part of the escape.

The elf spends far more time struggling against the webs than he expected to, but he breaks free and closes back up to the retreating predator. It hadn't finished learning that it is not even the most powerful predator in the room . . ..

"Somebody get him out of here!" He fails to specify which of the people involved he might be talking about.

51 to 82 of 82 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Terra Nova Campaign - The Black Hearts' Incident - by DM DoctorEvil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.