Gameday VIII - GM Iff - PF2 #1-01 The Absalom initiation

Game Master Iff


151 to 200 of 256 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Maps: Absalom Initiation

Lleylo's reluctance to engage with the Shadowtongue glyphs shows. He initially fumbles around when trying to come to grips with the ritual. He begins to understand the energies involved after a while, but still fails to stabilize them.

Because it's the weekend, I'm giving Prillett just a bit more time to post. I will move forward in about 12 hour.

--

ENCOUNTER, Round 1 - People in bold may act.
Prillett
Kramac
Sylvia (shield)
Lleylo
Ritual (Two flaws corrected)
Researchers (red, blue, green, purple)
Lindevaile Tindome

CONDITIONS
The stairs are difficult terrain.
The entire room is dimly lit, giving everyone concealment.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

GM rolls:

damage: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10
Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Prillett moves forward into the room to take stock of the situation. His skill set doesn't lend itself to dealing with the ritual, so he holds to deal with anything else that might pop up.

With many people now tampering with the ritual's erratic energies, the shadows suddenly surge, lashing out at those participating. Tavvar and her assistants cry out in in pain as the bolt of energy strikes them, but they stand fast. The assistants seems to be in critical condition, though. They might not withstand another surge like this.

Fort save for Kramac, Sylvia and Lleylo:
This is a basic Fort save vs DC 18. On a failure, suffer 10 negative damage. On a crit fail, double that. On a success half damage and on a critical success no damage.

The surge has an additional effect. Some of the swirling shadows coalesce into a semi-physical form, a tiny creature made of pure shadow. It flies through the air to Kramac and attempts to lash on to the strong man. Its strike lands (for 2 negative damage) and its shadowy tentacle then latches on to Kramac, clinging close to him. Attached like this, it moves with Kramac.
The wisp is flat-footed to Kramac while attached. He can spend a move action on its turn to attempt a Reflex save against the wisp’s Acrobatics DC to escape the shroud.

--

ENCOUNTER, Round 1/2 - People in bold may act.

Kramac (19 hp)
Sylvia (shield)
Lleylo
Ritual (Two flaws corrected, three to go)
Researchers (red 11 hp, blue 4 hp, green 4 hp, purple 4 hp)
Lindevaile Tindome
Prillett

CONDITIONS
The stairs are difficult terrain.
The entire room is dimly lit, giving everyone concealment.

PENDING
Kramac, Sylvia and Lleylo - Fort save


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
HP reroll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Sylvia winces and lets out a small shriek as the negative energy washes over her.

Sylvia then musters her courage and strikes at the wisp with a shocking grasp.

shocking grasp vs AC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
electricity damage: 2d12 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6

Sylvia then spepnds her last action trying to get the ritual under control.

occultism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Re-read post and noticed dim-light
forgotten concealment check dc 5: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Kramac takes the full brunt of the shadow effect, and spends his entire action trying to dislodge the wisp.

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

Fortitude: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Lleylo tries to get out of the way of the surge and lashes furiously at the wisp!

Dagger: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Dagger: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Dagger: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (12) - 2 = 10
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1

I don't know about the magicky ritual, Prillett thinks as he chants over his staff in a low voice. But this thing, I can help with. His weapon grows and shimmers with primal power.

Casting shillelagh to make it a +1 striking staff. If the wisp is in Kramac's square, I'll need to step forward.

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome watches in horror as the shadow blast hits the researchers. She runs up the stairs and pulls out one of the scrolls she got from the School of Spells.

"Hold that thing a bit! I'll heal them!" she shouts to her companions.

I hope I can move somewhere middle so that I can capture everyone in a 30 radius heal. It seems I can't move the icon, and there's a lot of people in way.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

I've updated the permissions on the maps document, everyone should now be able to edit.

GM rolls:

Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10
Attack 1 on Prillet from Black: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Concealment DC 5: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Attack 1 on Kramac from Yellow: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Concealment DC 5: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Attack 2 on Kramac from Yellow: 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 8 - 4 = 17
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Concealment DC 5: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Sylvia knows her spells and grabs the shadowy wisp where it hurt. It shudders in agony, but doesn't make any sound at all. It's wounded, but not critically so. Sylvia then also manages to stabilize an additional flaw in the ritual. Despite Sylvia's spell, Kramac has a lot of difficulty in getting rid of the wisp. However, he eventually manages to wrest free. The rules don't say either way, but since Kramac is using a move action I'll rule that he steps out of the wisp's square.

Lleylo strikes at the wisp three times with his dagger, but finds the creature quite elusive. None of his attacks connect. Prillet and Lindevaile Tindome get in position and prepare for their next turn.

--

The ritual surges again, strikes Tavvar and her assistants, as well as Sylvia. Anyone not hit by the ability can intercept an attack with a reaction. If so, you take the damage and associated Fort check. In your next post, please let me know if anyone intercepts and attack, and from whom.

Fort save, Sylvia and anyone intercepting:
DC 16, basic save vs. 10 negative damage. No damage on crit success, half damage on success, full damage on fail, double damage on crit fail.

The surge has another effect: A second wisp emerges! It materializes in the far side of the room and flies to Prillet. It attempts to strike the halfling, but misses. The wounded wisp continues to attack Kramac. It first attack misses, but the second connects (for 2 negative damage). The wisp again tries to hold on to Kramac, but this time fails.

--

ENCOUNTER, Round 1/2 - People in bold may act.

Kramac (7 hp)
Sylvia (shield, 12 hp)
Lleylo (10 hp)
Ritual (Three flaws corrected, two to go)
Wisps (yellow -13, black)
Researchers (red 11 hp, blue 4 hp, green 4 hp, purple 4 hp)
Lindevaile Tindome
Prillett

CONDITIONS
The stairs are difficult terrain.
The entire room is dimly lit, giving everyone concealment.

PENDING
* Sylvia - Fort save
* Damage to Tavvar and her assistant, that might be intercepted with a Reaction. In that case, please see the Fortitude check spoiler. As said, the assistant cannot take another hit.

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

Basic Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Kramac leaps in front of the blue researcher, taking the full brunt of the blast, then tries to correct the ritual circle some more.

Kn Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Kn Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Kn Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome snaps open her fan and does a graceful pirouette while chanting words of magic. The scroll in her hand turns into gently glowing sparks that flow from her in every direction, mending wounds on every person they touch.

Heal: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Is it the same roll for everyone?

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Oh, and if it wasn't clear I do a three-action heal for 30 burst healing.


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

fort save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Sylvia grimaces as the negative energy washes over her, upkept by Lindevaile's healing.

Sylvia then continues her work on stabilizing the ritual. This time working on it twice before putting her shield back up.

occult: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
occult: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

cast shield again.

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

Undeterred by his previous failure, Lleylo tries attacking the nearest wisp again.

Dagger: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Dagger: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Dagger: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Concealment DC5: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1

Prillett moves out of flanking position and swings his staff.

Shillelagh vs black, two-handed: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 1 = 12
Damage: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6
If the wisp is an aberration, extraplanar, or undead, it takes an extra 1d8 ⇒ 1 damage.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Kramac manages to shield one of the assistant's from the ritual's effect. However, the effort wounds him gravely, leaving him unconscious and dying. Two of the assistants weren't shielded from the surge, however. They are struck and cry out while clutching their chest, before crumpling to the ground. Their absence in the ritual is felt immediately, with more flaws in the ritual flaring up. Tavvar managed to hang on by the skin of her teeth, but things look dire!

Fortunately, Lindevaile Tindome's spell hits at that moment and brings Kramac back to consciousness. Still on the floor, Kramac manages to erase two of the Shadowtongue runes, negating those flaws in the ritual. Sylvia then finishes the job, using her occult lore to dissipate the remaining energies.

The strange shadows on the walls stop moving, sucked into a vortex in the center of the room. The two wisps are drawn back as well. Very soon, the light level returns to normal and the chilling cold dissipates. The ritual has been stopped! Tavvar and her remaining assistant sag to the ground, exhausted. All that remains of the ritual is a stoppered bottle at the center of the room, gently spinning like a top before coming to a rest...

--

Status summary

Sylvia (shield, 10 hp)
Lleylo (10 hp)
Kramac (3 hp, prone, wounded 1)
Researchers (Tavvar 4 hp, blue 7 hp)
Lindevaile Tindome
Prillett

Congratulations! It was a difficult encounter and for a moment it looked to be spiraling out of control, but a few good rolls at the end by Kramac and Sylvia clinched it. Kramac earns a hero point for valiantly defending one of the assistants and doing to much to stop the ritual in the end.


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia drops down almost to her knees as the adrenaline begins to drain from her system.

"We... we did it."

As Sylvia begins to regain her composure she sees the dead assistants and falls silent.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Once the initial shock is over, Tavvar looks up to the group of Pathfinders, still panting from exertion and wide-eyed with shock. "It's... I never thought it would... I'm so glad that you got here. Who are you?"


Maps: Absalom Initiation

It's been about 24 hours since the end of the encounter. I wanted to give you all an opportunity to react, speak to Tavvar, heal up, etc. But there's only been one post since then. What do you want to do?


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia straightens her glasses and responds "We're from the Pathfinder Society Ma'ma. Good thing we got here when we did. Please tell me you won't be trying that ritual again..."

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome runs to the downed assistants. "I'm so sorry, I thought my healing would be enough!" she mourns their fall. Then, she taps her waist, and offers: "Wait, I have the second scroll, I'll try it too!". She again spins around, sending the healing sparks everywhere.

After healing, she adds to Sylvia's line: "Yes, we were worried that something would go wrong. Your plans sounded risky". She gestures at the downed assistants. "See? We just want to make sure this doesn't happen again".

Heal (30 burst): 1d8 ⇒ 2

And that's my last 'free' scroll.

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

No more messing about with things you don't understand! Shadow rituals are dangerous!


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Lindevaile Tindome's healing spell does some healing to everyone present, except those who are now in Pharasma's hands. Tavvar gratefully accepts the healing, but is still deflated. Her colleague with the braids seems stunned, too shocked to speak. Tavvar gets up and searches for some cloth to cover the two of her assistants that didn't make it. She silently suffers Kramac's rebuke, then starts explaining what she was trying to do.

"It started when I came upon this ritual that involves memories and shadows," she starts. "It was supposed to bring a person's memories back, replayed by shadows. I..." she hesitates for a moment. "I saw an opportunity to dig back into my past. I'm from Nidal. I can't remember much from my childhood, but there must have been something... something more. Something good." She looks at the covered bodies of her two assistants and take a few breath to steady herself. "I added some Shadowtongue glyphs to the rituals, words from a half-forgotten children's rhyme. I never could have guessed that they'd react so violently to the ritual. The entire thing would have spiraled out of control. I... I can't thank you enough. I'll bury what knowledge I have of the ritual, it's never going to work..."

She looks around, aimlessly. "I will go back to the College, gather some friends to help me here. She takes a look around as she helps up her colleague up on her feet. [b]"Come, Alta. It's over now." Tavvar then turns back to the Pathfinders "If there's nothing else...? You're welcome to take that flask with you. I used it as a focus for the ritual, but I won't be needing it any more."

--

Status summary

Sylvia (12 hp)
Lleylo (12 hp)
Kramac (5 hp, wounded 1)
Lindevaile Tindome
Prillett

That concludes this part of the scenario, but feel free to make some closing remarks. Also, someone might like to identify the potion Tavvar pointed out to you. Next, please consider how you'd like to proceed. Several of you are wounded, and it's rather late at night, in game. Once you feel ready for more, please pick the next mission and let me know how you'd like to go about it.


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia adjusts her glasses and looks to her companions "I think we should consider returning to the Grand Lodge and calling it a night before finishing things up."

Sylvia will spend the 10 minutes to ID the potion.
Have +7 nature, occultism and Arcana or +5 Religion

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

"That could have gone a lot worse, lady! You can be really glad we showed up in time. Lleylo is positively beaming with pride, even though he only played a minor role in the battle.

Looking at Sylvia: "Yes, let's head back and rest awhile before doing our next great deed! All this adventuring has also made me very hungry!

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome squirms slightly when Tavvar mentions looking into her childhood. "It is better to live the present. The evils of the past should be hidden forever, even if there were bits of good among them", she says, to herself as much as to Tavvar.

"I agree, we've had enough shadows for one day. Is everyone fine?" she says and looks around the team. "Kramac, you look bad, can you manage? Please, let me heal you more", she says to Kramac, waves her hand and fan and sends a stronger stream of sparks to Kramac.

Heal Kramac (2 action): 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

If we decide to sleep and get there without incidents, I will use my 2 remaining daily spells to AoE heal.

Before sleep heals:

Heal burst #1: 1d8 ⇒ 1
Heal burst #2: 1d8 ⇒ 7

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

Many thanks Lindevaile! Those shadow rituals pack a wallop. Kramac agrees - we have but in a good day's work - lets rest and pick up our other tasks in the morning.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Sylvia finds that the flask doesn't contain a magical potion. It's not something that she can identify with any of her magical tradition skills. Rather, the fluid seems alchemical in nature.

Craft (Trained) DC 19:
This is a lesser mistform elixir. When applied with an interact action, a faint mist emanates from your skin, making you concealed for 3 rounds. As usual being concealed when your position is still obvious, you can’t use this concealment to Hide
or Sneak.

The group decides to take a well-earned rest after their adventures aboard the ship in the Flotsam Graveyard and in the Blakros Museum. With the help of Lindevaile Tindome's magic, everyone is fully healed up before retreating for the night.

Two missions left. See slides 2 and 3. Which one would you like to do first? If you've picked one, let me know how you'd like to start. There's probably some gathering information involved, in which case (if you want to take the lead) roll a Diplomacy check.

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome looks happy and surprised at Kramac's thank. "You're welcome. And, I guess you can call me that. You humans seem to use only part of the name". she says.

In the morning, she comes in from the front doors, yawning and grass in her sleep hair. "Morning. Oh, these are good!" she says grabs some fruit from the table. "We had that poor fellow who was turned to stone to heal. I guess it doesn't matter so much if it is a day later if you're stone", she says, slightly muffled because eating the fruit at the same time.

Lindevaile Tindome doesn't know about the haunted house, she wasn't there to listen, and too drunk to remember if she was told afterwards. And rolling diplomacy in advance.

Diplomacy (Gather): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1

"I agree," Prillett says the next morning, pointing a fat sausage at Lindevaile before taking a bite of it. "We should help... what was her name? Fola?" And leave the haunted house well alone, he thinks privately. "It may not matter to the statue, but it would mean a great deal to her."

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

Lleylo takes a look at the flask and holds it up in the air to see how the fluid inside it refracts the light. He then removes the stopper, takes a deep sniff, and starts coughing uncontrollably.

Crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

"That's a mistform elixir, no doubt about it! It will help to hide you during combat. Very useful, yes, yes!"


Maps: Absalom Initiation

After a good night's rest and a hearty breakfast, the group of Pathfinder head to Westgate to save one of their colleagues from petrification. Lindevaile Tindome asks around for direction, which isn't hard. Anyone from Westgate knows where the aptly named "Statue street" is. The local hawker she's talking to seems to have a soft spot for her and leans in to warn the group. "Now, I don't mean to put my nose in other people's business, but I've heard that a group of Pathfinders was supposed to drop by one of these days to take one of the statues with them. There's people here who don't agree with that - Westgate'ners who think the statues are 'theirs'. I hear there's quite a crowd of them at Baldo's Square, whipped up by Barrister Saufel and his son. Herbalist Mabel and her husband have been very vocal about it as well, and their word carries quite a bit of heft around these parts." He shrugs. "You'll prob'ly know what's best, but I just figured I'd warn you that you might meet with some resistance..."

--

You have directions to Statue Street and Baldo's Square. How would you like to approach?

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

"Perhaps it is good to listen in Baldo's Square first, yes? We must know what enemy think!".

Lleylo doesn't seem to relish the prospect of going straight to the statue without knowing what they're up against.

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

"They are not enemies, but friendly people", Lindevaile Tindome corrects Laylo. "They just don't understand that it's a real person inside that stone".

"Maybe if we can soften these Barrister Saufel and Herbalist Mabel, we can get the whole crowd to disappear? Of course we can listen a bit first."

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1

"Seems to me this whole business can be avoided if we just march up to old what's-his-name and restore him to squishiness. Then the people will see that he doesn't belong to anyone, as a statue or otherwise."


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia adjusts her glasses

"I'd hate to risk our only potion if some sort of skirmish breaks out. Let's see if we can't talk some sense into Mabel and Saufel."


Maps: Absalom Initiation

The group heads to Statue Street, waiting to see what kind of situation they might find and hoping to resolve this with words. For several blocks, the quiet lanes of Westgate’s residential neighborhoods feature small houses, low-key cafes and taverns, and the occasional specialty shop. The fragrant scent of tended flower gardens in the warm sunlight blends with the low hum of distant conversation over what would normally be a pleasant boulevard. But the stone statues—at first appearing only here and there, like odd decorations—now number several per block, and the otherwise plain square ahead is outright cluttered with stone figures. They take countless forms, from humans and halflings to orcs, lizardfolk, and even stranger, all forever frozen in acts of desperation, defiance, or despair. The quaint, statue-filled square is also filled with people; several dozen townsfolk shout and argue, their voices somehow out of place among the silent statues.

It is pretty apparent who are the most vocal of the group. On the edge of the fountain stand four people. Two of the men are dressed in modest black suits, next to them a woman wearing an apron and a scarf with a burly man at her side.

The woman with scarf - presumably Mabel - is speaking as the Pathfinders enter the square. "It's always outsiders like this, coming to take away our traditions! They don't understand what these people mean to us... How we care for them, and honor their boldness!" This is met with cheers from the audience. Suddenly, one of the crowd spots the group of Pathfinder coming round the corner. "That must be them. We'll not let them take one of our heroes!" A roar of agreement rises up from the gathered people. The mood is tense and could get ugly.

See slide 2 for the situation. We're not in combat rounds per se, but you have a limited time to defuse the situation. The barristers might most easily be persuaded with a Diplomacy or Legal Lore check. For the herbalist and her husband, Nature or Herbalism Lore might be most appropriate. Intimidation could also work on any of them, as well as any other creative solutions you come up with.


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia adjusts her glasses and talks to the Herbalist.

"Tell me... What do you gain from holding this Pathfinder imprisoned. What if they knew some herbal secret that's trapped in stone with them..."
lore herbalism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome looks at the angry crowd, worried. Then she remembers the little bottle in her pocket. "Maybe now is time for this", she says and drinks the mutagen. Her face changes minutely, accentuating the best parts. "Oh, I feel pretty! Let's go", she says with a pleasant new ring in her voice.

Lindevaile Tindome heads to chat with the barristers. "I'm sorry, but isn't freeing one of the stoned people kind of setting them free from prison? If there is a permission from those who did the verdict? Stoning is not a death penalty, after all", she starts the softening.

"I can see that people like them here, but maybe we could make it easier for them? We could have a kind of party, celebrating a person getting free. Like a nice way for them to say goodbye to the statue and hello to the person. And some songs from freedom-loving gods, like Cayden Cailean and Desna", she suggests, adding to her last point by snapping open her fan bearing the butterfly of Desna.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 = 20

Used silvertongue mutagen

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5

"Or... other idea! Let make new statues just like the old ones, yes? You not see the difference!"

Lleylo does his signature jumping up and down again while he speaks.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Foolish people! One does not honor the boldness of these people by holding them captive and fawning over flesh turned to stone! That is cowardly and lazy! Kurgess the Strong man teaches that you should honor their boldness by seeking to improve your self! Compete, work hard, and seek to emulate their boldness in your own life! And allow them to do the same!

Iomadae, Erastil, Sarenrae, Shelyn - all would see these men eventually returned to flesh and bone. Some may require a term spent in this stony prison as punishment for past misdeeds, but they would not seek to see them permanently in this state.

Those that would see men forever turned to stone - Asmodeus - who sees no room for mercy and self-imporvement in punishments, Lamashtu - who would never see the work of one of her creatures undone.

Now I ask you people, who do you wish to emulate and give praise through your actions? The gods of good, who watch over us and send clerics and emissaries to help aid all the people of Golarian? Or those who would see us enslaved to their infernal will or crushed under the heel of their monstrous offspring?

Kramac knows which he would prefer!

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1

"They aren't decorations," Prillett agrees with Sylvia. "They're people, and they're sick. I would think you would have a duty to help them if you can. It just so happens that we have a remedy. Only one-- I'm sure you know this kind of thing isn't easy to come by. But we help where we are able."

Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Sylvia's argument doesn't make a dent in Mabel's anger. "What? You're saying I don't know my own business well enough?!" Lleylo is likewise brushed off, with her husband angrily complaining. "What are ya on about?! These aren't just statues! They're brave folks - fools some of them. But they took a chance when they saw it, and we salute them for their bravery."

Lindevaile Tindome has found a better tone. The barrister's son breaks loose from addressing the crowd to step closer to the elven woman. He laughs. "Yes, I suppose you adventurer-lot would be quite stricken with the likes of Cayden and Desna." Lindevaile Tindome recalls that, being a barrister, he would probably pay his respects to Abadar before all others. "Look, I don't know about all of them, but their sentences were varied. And they took the choice to run the Charge of the Gorgon, rather than face those sentences. Isn't that what freedom should be all about? Making your own choices and accepting the consequences?" He seems to consider his argument a challenge to her, and his anger has visibly been replacement be a sense of curiosity.

Prillet's words draw the attention of Mabel's husband. "I know they're people, and we try to honor their choice. But.. if I'm honest. It sometimes feels bad to look at their faces, seeing what they must have thought when they realized they weren't going to make it."

Kramac's words surely draw a lot of attention from the crowd, but they're not sure what to make of it. Various people start whispering to each other. [smaller]"Is he saying we should be facing a Gorgon as well? Or that we're less than him, just for being honest hard-working folks? I ain't got no time to go out adventuring and 'improving myself'. I've got four kids to feed!" Another couple seem to agree with him. "They're just here, the poor folks who failed the Charge. Wasn't me who told them to do it, but I'm no... no infernal enslaver of wills!"

Barrister Saufel isn't so easily impressed, apparently. He's an old man with a shrewd look. "We could debate right and wrong all you want. The Charge of the Gorgon was banned, but the Council didn't issue a full pardon to all that still stand here. That means you have to claim to come 'rescue one'. Next thing we know, everyone could come by the city stockades and claim to rescue a prisoner on account of... of whatever." Mabel likewise stands her ground for now, trying to reclaim some support from the crowd. "Don't listen to their fancy talk. It's us common folk who have to stand together!" The lack of arguments from her might convey a crumbling conviction.

You're doing well so far. I'd like one more round of skill checks, please.

Verdant Wheel

M Halfling Druid 1 | AC: 16 | HP: 15/15 | Fort +4 T, Ref +6 T, Will +8 E | Speed: 25 ft | Perception +6 | Focus: 1/1
Mabel wrote:
"Don't listen to their fancy talk. It's us common folk who have to stand together!"

Prillett laughs. "I'm not some fancy schoolyard philosophiser, miss. I'm a farmer. I can tell you to plant bittercorn in the morning, and sweetroot in the afternoon. How the air tastes at night when a storm's coming at dawn. I'm telling you, these people deserve better than to stay frozen like this."

Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Radiant Oath

CG Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | Speed 35 ft. | AC 15 | hp 13/13 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +6 | Percep +4| Focus 1/1 | Spells, 1st: 3/3 | Conditions: none

Lindevaile Tindome looks at barrister, astonished. "What kind of freedom is that? It's just toying with their minds! If you can choose to be hit by an axe or a sword, you will still lose your head! That's what evil folk do, they give you a slim hope just so they can kill you when you try to reach it. I've seen it too many times!" she gives an emotional argument, and then bursts into tears. She turns away, wipes the tears, and turns back apologizing: "Sorry, sorry, just memories..."

She continues to Barrister Saufel: "You didn't listen, we are not freeing everyone, we have permission to rescue one certain person. Maybe sentence was overturned, or they decided he goes back to jail, I wasn't told. And what would you do if your friend was here, you had the permission and means to free him, but people refuse because they like him as an ornament!"

Finally, she straightens her fine dress and turns to Mabel: "You think that just by what I look? I might not know this city that well, but I've dragged myself here through pain and darkness, to be free. And everything I own, I now carry. If you have a house here you are ten times richer and fancier than I am."

She finishes her speeches, panting heavily and still clearly agitated.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 1 = 24


Sylvia F Human Wizard 1 HP (17/17) | AC 14 | F 16, R 14, W 17 | Perception +7

Sylvia stutters "No... no, not that, just well think of what knowledge this poor soul could have. There's nothing to be gained, no life here in this form..."

lore herbalism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Horizon Hunters

Male | HP: 12/15 | AC 17 | F:+6 R:+8 W:+6 | Perc +3 | | Speed 25 ft | Alchemist 1 | Reagents 1/5
GM Iff wrote:
"What are ya on about?! These aren't just statues! They're brave folks - fools some of them. But they took a chance when they saw it, and we salute them for their bravery."

"If they are people, that is very good reason to let them free, right? How you feel if trapped in statue? Also, I can make very good new statue, not see difference!"

Crafting: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

(I realise using Crafting here is a bit of a stretch, so feel free to rule that I need to roll diplomacy:)
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Her emotional speech gives the barrister's son pause, who walks up to comfort Lindevaile Tindome. Her appeal to the barrister likewise hits home. "Well, I suppose if you have permission, then in this case our betters have seen fit to make this happen. Any objections I may have are no longer relevant then."

Lleylo's words are about to anger Mabel, but luckily Prillett and Sylvia find better words. The halfling's humble words shake her loose from her initial judgment, and cause her to look at the statues in a new light. Sylvia's words clinch the deal. "Very well, if you put it like that. We'll go home, and leave you to your work." She addresses the crowd, most of whom are still trying to get to grips with Kramac's speech. "Go home, good people. We'll see each other tomorrow. We'll still have our traditions, but maybe some of them deserve to change..."

The crowd mutters but disband, with two of them vowing to each other to strive to improve in life, and some muttering about young folks having no respect for the way things were. Still, the situation seems defused and the Pathfinders can look for their petrified colleague - until if turns out that one of the townsfolk has other plans.

He scowls at the Pathfinders, yells out "You're not getting away with this so easily!" and tosses a small purple crystal their way. When it strikes the ground it erupts in a large puff of smoke and two vile-looking creatures emerge. Flying, bloating, and fish-like with a row of wicked-looking teeth. "See how you deal with that!" the man yells as he runs away.

Second post incoming.


Maps: Absalom Initiation

Initiative:

Prillett: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Lindevaile Tindome: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Lleylo: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Sylvia: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Kramac: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Monsters: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

COMBAT TRACKER - Round 1 - Bold may act
Lindevaile Tindome
Sylvia
Prillett
Lleylo
Kramac
Monsters (blue, red)

--

If any of you want to take an action to use Recall knowledge with the Religion skill, see the results below.

Recall knowledge as action, Religion DC 15+:
These are cacodaemons, the weakers of daemonkind. They constantly hunger for mortal souls and yearn to create suffering. Consumed souls are stored as gems in their mouth, and can be used to give them fast healing. Their bite comes with a disease.

Recall knowledge as action, Religion DC 5-:
These are a special kind of demon fish. Being creatures of water, they might be vulnerable to fire (an expection to the for demons).

Recall knowledge as action, Religion DC 5- (Sylvia only):
These flying creatures are a weak kind of daemon. They are known to have fast healing sometimes, maybe a form of regeneration. Focused fire might be warranted. It is unknown to you whether this fast healing can be stopped. Maybe acid or fire, like trolls?

Radiant Oath

NG Human Fighter 1 HP 21/21 | AC 16 | F +8 R +5 W +6 | Perc +7 | Stealth +0 | Speed 20| Active Conditions: ---

Hah! You wish to prove Kramac right! No worry, these creatures will fall beneath our blades!

Kramac will use one action to stride, then perform a double slice!

Attack 1, Flickmace: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Attack 2, Shield Spike: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

AoO reaction if anybody provokes:

AoO, Flickmace: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

151 to 200 of 256 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameday VIII - GM Iff - PF2 #1-01 The Absalom initiation - Discussion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.