GM Doug — The Mosquito Witch [Gameday VIII PFS2] (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

This is a PF2E game for Gameday VIII, running from September 9, 2019 to November 17, 2019.

Maps & Resources.


51 to 100 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

Gaz smiles nervously to the man as he rambles, but keeps a keen eye on his paper doll. I wonder...

Gaz snarls for just an instant as he taps his inner resevoir of strange arcane power. he calls forth a sepll to reach into the mystic realm and reveal any hidden magical secrets.

Gaz casts detect magic and tries to determine if there are any magial auras surrounding the paper doll.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Casting a spell almost always requires trust & explicit permission from an NPC (or we go into initiative, and the NPC might run away, or even fight). Without special feats it's obvious to even the uninitiated that you are using magic, and magic can be quite dangerous or even control someone's mind! However, to keep the scene moving here we'll say that Quintus gives you permission to check out the paper doll only (he'll put it on the table and move to the other side of the room or something like that). However, when interacting with NPCs in the future please keep this in mind — even if the party knows a spell is innocuous, it might not be viewed that way by an NPC, which could have unintended consequences.

Gaz doesn't detect the presence of any magic. However, he sees a strange, spidery writing on the doll's paper.

Horizon Hunters

Male champion of Cayden Cailean | HP 17/17 | AC 18 (20 w/ shield raised)| Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 | Perception +7 | Conditions:

Bramble wanders over to the miner and stands with Gaz, trying to get a closer look at the doll. Trying to see what the doll looks like, and maybe make out any writing if I can.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

It’s an intricately made witch doll. The script says The iron cave will fall.

Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

"Thank you for the trouble sir. Sorry to disturb yoru privacy."

Gaz scribbles the saying in his notebook and returns it to his pack. He addresses his fellow agents. "Perhaps we should move on. Strange dealings afoot here certianly. As I said, not much of a drinker but I think I could use a beer. Shall we try the Brewery?"

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

Zallarra turns back to the innkeeper, "Before we go, could we ask you about the other adventurous type folk who came here before us? If they have not been back, they may be in trouble so any information you have could help us find and help them."


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

The inkeep is happy to share information. Monster-huntin' types? Like you? Sure. I seen a half-elf in gold armor enterin' the forest to the northeast. I also seen a man in white clothing, but he went to the east.

Gaz hands the paper doll back to Quintus. He says, I don't want it back! I know it's magical, too — it's just hiding it from you! It's been following me. Can't get rid of it. And every night, the real witch comes to my room. Red eyes staring me from the foot of me bed. It doesn’t say anything, it just stares at me. And when I wake up, I know things. Six and four dead on Shimmerford road. Whose stealing the shovels?

So, to the brewery?


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Spoiler:

1d5 ⇒ 4

Bramble the Brave:
You're going through your bag, perhaps after paying for a drink, and you notice that the witch doll Smine gave you isn't among your things anymore. Where could it have gone?

Seebonickk:
You're going through your items as you prepare to depart the inn, and you notice the witch doll that Smine gave to Bramble the Brave among your things. You certainly don't remember putting it there.

Horizon Hunters

M Half-Orc Fighter 1: Spd:25, HP:20/20, AC:17, Fort:7, Ref:7, Will:2, Per:5 Darkvision, Stealth:5

Yes to the brewery.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"Thank you, innkeeper. Hopefully we'll be back to see you for a good rest. Now, brewery, I hear?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

You make your way through the insect-ridden streets, heading to the brewery. You hear a woman's slurred, off-key singing from a block away:

It's th'end of tha woooorrrrlllrld as we know it
It's th'end of th'woooorrrrlllrld… annnd I feeeeeel fiiiine!

You round the corner and see the brewery. There's a dark-skinned woman slouched in a rocking chair on the porch, belting out the song. There's a bottle in her hand, and three bottles at her feet.

She waves at you. Hey! Viss'tors. It's the end o' th'world. Come on. Step righ' up to Hart's. Brewrey. Have a drink. It's free. 'Cause it's the end o' th'world. Tar Baffan to th'West, bugs to th'East. I'd rath'r be eten by th'zombies then th'bugs. But if ya drink enough, th'bugs leave you alone. Don't like th'taste of brandy n' th'blood.

She hiccups and grins, proffering the bottle. Hava drink.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

Zallarra takes the offered drink, sips it.
"Thank you! What is a Tar Baffin?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

You think she is slurring the name "Tar-Baphon," the ruler of the Gravelands / zombie apocalypse to the West.

Tar Baffin!? Ya don' know!? The Lich-person. Is an unn-dead a person? Do they count? Dunno. But whatever. Them's a real jerk. Ya'know. All runnin' aroun the Gravelanns with unn-dead armies, eatin' peoples lef' and righ' an' what have you. But I tell you what. I tell you what! She leans forward, as if ready to to impart deep and secret wisdom. Better zombies then bugs. Better Baffins then Witches. She leans back in the chair. 'Least, thass how it'll feel when I'm outta booze. Gave away all my monies helpin' the other families 'scape. But now I'm stuck too, 'cause I don' wanna leave my brewery. I'll jus' wait here, for the end o' the world. 'Leastways, the en' of Shimmerford. My home.

Spoiler:

1d20 ⇒ 18

Zalarra:
This brandy is awful. But it's quite potent — in fact, were you to stick a wick in it, you could light it and throw it like a bomb.

Vigilant Seal

Male Male Gnome Rogue 1 | hp 16 | AC 17 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6 | Perception +6 Rogue 1

"Is it like Tar? We can't drink that!"

Seebonickk sniffs the drink and tastes it.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Looks like we crossposted, Seebonickk!

Ain't no tar. Just th'last. Th'last o'my spirits. The tails. The parts I'da normally cut from th'good stuff.

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 20

Seebonickk:
This brandy is awful. But it's quite potent — in fact, were you to stick a wick in it, you could light it and throw it like a bomb.

Horizon Hunters

Male champion of Cayden Cailean | HP 17/17 | AC 18 (20 w/ shield raised)| Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 | Perception +7 | Conditions:

A shiver runs down Bramble's spine, and even the brewery's spirits can't lift his. He morosely gulps down some drink. "Ah, thank you for the drink. Cayden's blessings on you and all that. You must be Rosa Hart. Can we help you escape? This is no place for the honored of Cayden Cailean to stay!"

He then nudges the others and let's them know a grave whisper as to not alert Rosa. "Uh, folks, I think I misplaced the doll... Or lost it? Or something. It's gone! My pack was secure! It's gone. GONE!"

Vigilant Seal

Male Male Gnome Rogue 1 | hp 16 | AC 17 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6 | Perception +6 Rogue 1

Seebonickk gasps for a tiny bit of air after sipping the brandy.

"Whoa...strong stuff!"

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"This is good brandy. May I buy a few from you?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 4

Sure. A gold each. Th'gold would help me start… re-start… my brew'ry. If th'world don't end. hic. She has 3 bottles left.

Bramble the Brave:
You think this is the best-tasting brandy you ever had! It's simply ambrosial.

Zalarra and Seebonickk:
These bottles would function as lesser alchemist’s fire, but the cumbersome device requires two actions to operate (one Manipulate action to light the incendiary, and one Strike to throw it).

Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

Gaz seems a bit uncomfortable but decides to test out the fare.

"I suppsoe I will try one. Thaks you bar keep."

Gaz seems unnerved as Bramble reveals the theft of the doll. "Gone? Are you certain? Seems a odd to steal such a thing. Not much value I would wager. Hmm." The gnome thinks to himself as he sips his beer.

Horizon Hunters

M Half-Orc Fighter 1: Spd:25, HP:20/20, AC:17, Fort:7, Ref:7, Will:2, Per:5 Darkvision, Stealth:5

Half of you say it really good, the other half say it horrible, me not want to take chances. I'd take a half-flat beer to be safe.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 16

Gaz:
You are sure this is awful brandy. She was not lying that this is the remnants cut out to create the good stuff. It's so bad, you think you could make crude bombs with it. (You can read the "Zalarra and Seebonickk" spoiler above)


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Whose stealin' what, now? You can take t'all. Go 'head, see if you can take nothin' from nothin. Blood from a rock. She gestures around. Hey. I ain't got no witch doll, though. Bad luck. Threw mine 'way. She flails an arm, mimicking a throwing motion, and almost falls over. Threw 'way my secret too. My secret water source. Don' matter none. She takes another gulp of brandy.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"I shall take a bottle of brandy from you, please." As she hands over a gold.

"So, what's this about a secret water source? These bugs love water, maybe seeing it could help our search fro the source of this problem..."


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Done n' done! This'll help me get brewin' again if th'worl don' en. Which it will. Nevertheless, Rosa collects her gold with a lopsided grin.

Secret source? Yep! E'ery good brewer's got one. Th'pure waters. The good waters. Y'see, swamps all aroun' — she flails about again — buncha muck n' mud. Ya need to find a good clean spring. An' keep it secret! Every spring's differen.' Taste differen.' Every source o' water's got a differen' taste, ya see. U-ni-que. So, I gots me a secret source, the cleanest and bestest tastin' aroun'! Thnat's what I use for my brewin.'

Th'man, th' man in all white, he was askin' 'bout where my pure sources is. Some kinda… witch hunter, he was. Wanted to know where I'm gettin' my brewin' waters. An' also, t'know what waters contam — contam — contam-imm-ate-ted. You think Rosa means "contaminated."

Zalarra, Gaz, and Seebonickk succeeded at secret crafting checks. In addition to the other info they got, they also know that a distiller/brewer needs pure water to create/ferment drinks, and that the minerals unique to certain springs can impart certain desirable attributes to the final product. This is what Rosa is trying to explain. You can tell that as a maker of drinks, Rosa would be an excellent source of information on what water in the area is most foul, and what water is most pure. (Just recapping here in case my slurred dialect is too hard to make sense of :)

Anyways, the'good stuff's to the East. Where th'sun comes up. It's bad waters all other directions.

Vigilant Seal

Male Male Gnome Rogue 1 | hp 16 | AC 17 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6 | Perception +6 Rogue 1

Seebonickk looks at the bottle and puts it in his backpack. "This stuff is potent!"

He turns to the party "Should we head east?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Rosa collects another gold. Thank ya kindly!

Remember, there are also still locations in town you can explore for more clues.

Town locations of interest. Struck through are places you visited:

Galia's
Hart's Brewery
The Bell Family
Mordha Lyons house
The Tanner
The Whitefish and Stag
Ruza’s House
Braybon’s Smithy
Marmazine’s House
Shrine to Hanspur
Abandoned Farm


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Seebonickk, when you put the bottle in your backpack:
you see the witch doll staring up at you, with its beady red eyes.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Male Gnome Rogue 1 | hp 16 | AC 17 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6 | Perception +6 Rogue 1

Seebonickk points at the doll. "Eek that thing creeps me out. It's staring at me!"

Horizon Hunters

Male champion of Cayden Cailean | HP 17/17 | AC 18 (20 w/ shield raised)| Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 | Perception +7 | Conditions:

Bramble perks up at the brandy. "This is truly the good stuff! Cayden's blessings on you, and on me apparently!" He sighs at the price and opens a pocket, freeing mosquitoes that buzz sadly. "Unfortunately I'm short on dough. Next time, though!"

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"When we head out of town we should go east and check the good water and look for the hunter in white as well. For now, perhaps we try a few more places in town to see what we can find out. Perhaps that farm the brewer heard strange noises from this morning? We should also head to the Lyons house at some point, talk to the woman who saw the actual witch years ago..."

Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

Gaz almost vomits as he tries the horrible drink. He smirks, looks about and spits the contents under the table, trying to cover it up with a fake coughing gesture.

"My apologies, not much of a drinker.Gak.". Gaz reagisn hmself and adds. "I will take a bottle though, I am sure it will grow on me."

Gaz nods in agreement with Zallara. "Yes, good idea. Lets head there next."


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

1/2
Rosa waves goodbye, happy at having both earned gold and kept a bottle to drink — truly the best of both worlds.

Not 100% sure which location Gaz was seconding, but let's go with the farm.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

2/2

The abandoned farm on the edge of town is pretty run down. If a family once lived here, it has been years — long before the Shimmerford's current problems began.

Just as you enter the yard, you hear the sound of a young animal in distress! You run behind the building and see an albino calf wobbling several feet above the ground.

You blink several times, not quite believing your eyes. Then you notice that there are about a dozen bloodseekers attached to it — their wings are vibrating furiously as they try and carry away their prize! Bloodseeker and calf art on slide 1.

The calf is struggling valiantly, but it's slowly rising further and further into the air.

Spoiler:

Bramble's Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Seebonickk's Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Gaz's Nature: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Max's Nature: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Zallarra's Nature: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11

Max can see that the poor calf is very drained of blood, and can't fight back for much longer. To prevent it from being carried off to the bloodseekers' nest, you'll have to do something — and soon!

This isn't a necessarily a tactical combat, so we're not in initiative. If you want to save the poor calf, I welcome any solutions you can come up with in character — using spells, abilities, items, or creativity.

Vigilant Seal

Male Male Gnome Rogue 1 | hp 16 | AC 17 | Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +6 | Perception +6 Rogue 1

Seebonickk grabs his sword "Poor calf! Let's get those things off of it!" He'll move towards the calf, sword in hand.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"That's a horrible death I don't wish on any animal! Can we scare them off with fire or smoke perhaps?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Sure, you can light a small fire and use smoke to scare off the bugs; there’s plenty of flammables at this abandoned farm.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Heading out for the evening. I'll move you along.

Together you manage to ward off the bloodseekers, and find the calf laying at your feet, safe… for now. However, the calf needs immediate medical attention due to the blood loss. You see a collar and a tag around her neck — it says CUPCAKES.

Meanwhile, the bloodseekers still buzz around above, greedily waiting for an opening!

If you would like to give the calf medical aid, please make me a medicine check.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

Had a stupid day at work. Basically we couldn't get into our office all day. Flea indfestation. Yuck...

Zallarra runs to help the calf. "Who has skill in healing? I can try to assist!

medicine asssit: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15

Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

Gaz is horrified by the scene, He only shakes his head as Zallara calls for those skilled in healing arts.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Remember, it’s a dc 20 to assist in 2e, and if you crit fail you give the main roller a penalty.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

Ah. I actually did not know that. :) I would not have tried with my +0 bonus.

Horizon Hunters

Male champion of Cayden Cailean | HP 17/17 | AC 18 (20 w/ shield raised)| Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 | Perception +7 | Conditions:

"I know only to cure my problems with drink and dance! I don't know how to cure with ACTUAL medicine!" Bramble draws his rapier and eyes the bloodseekers above, ready to fend them off.

Dark Archive

Botting Seebonickk
Medicine, trained: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Seebonickk rushes over and helps Cupcakes, treating her for shock. The gnome also knows that food, a warm blanket, and rest would help the animal to recover.

Seebonickk knows that you can bring Cupcakes into a house and seal it up against the insects, the calf should then be safe if she also has some hay and water. If not, the bloodseekers haven't grown so bold as to attack adventurers… at least, yet. So she could follow you around to another location as well.


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 13

While he valiantly defends Cupcakes, Bramble notices some of the seekers flying off to the Northeast. The lamb looks at all of you and stands on wobbly legs. She lets out a grateful, if weak, bleat!

It will take about an hour to secure safe lodging for Cupcakes, if you wish to do so. Let me know what you want to do with your new friend, and where you'd like to go next!

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"Let's check the farmhouse and barn, see if any one else is home and then figure out what we are going to do. If there's no one here there is no sense in locking the poor animal in to starve."


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

You don't find anyone inside the farmouse or barn; the buildings seem to be abandoned. The calf might have wandered here from the elsewhere in town.

Envoy's Alliance

F Gnome Sorcerer 1 |NG | AC 15 | HP 15 | Fort +4 Reflex +5 Will +5 | Perception +3 Sorcerer 1 (Hag sorcerer)

"Well, should we get the calf safe and see where the large insects went to the Northeast or shall we take the little thing back to town and see if anyone there knows who she might belong to or at least take care of her."

Envoy's Alliance

M Gnome Sorcerer (Draconic) 1

"Yes, a sound plan. Let us get the calf to a proper caretaker then see to these large bugs, not that I look forward to that."


The Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of G'nak | Spell Templates

It sounds like you want to go back to town and ask around for the calf's owner or a caretaker, for the moment.

As you leave the abandoned farm, you hear a dog barking. A shaggy dog with cream-white fur bolts down the town streets, scattering the clouds of mosquitoes hovering above the ground. A woman’s voice follows after the dog: Peaches! Peachy! Get back here!

A Tian woman in simple traveling clothes sprints into view a few moments later, stopping to stand by the dog.

Sorry about that, the woman says, as the dog whines for attention before prancing around Cupcakes, trying to play. I didn’t think there was anything out here but insects, or I would have kept a closer eye on him. My name’s Haru Kwon. What brings you to Shimmerford? It’s not exactly a popular destination right now.

art on slide 1!

51 to 100 of 349 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug — The Mosquito Witch [Gameday VIII PFS2] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.