Monster of the week

Game Master Meetch

Averting the apocalypse in the sleepy town of Spinethorn, MA.


301 to 339 of 339 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Sean is now at 4 out of 7 harm, FYI.

Sean lets out a cry of pain as he is slammed into the wall. The bad part about grabbing someone is... they always know where your arm is. And if you can find the arm, you can find the head. Well, unless the head is someplace it shouldn't be, like... wait! Think, lad.

He raises the still-gripped shotgun and fires at the cultist.

KSA: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8

3 harm, close, messy


Sean
Sean, you turn the cultist's head into a fine red mist. However, it's not typically recommended to fire a shotgun at a target that close to you. You're covered in viscera and your ears as positively ringing. No harm, but it's going to be damn hard to hear anything for awhile. You're effectively deaf.


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Sean staggers back against the wall, gore dripping from his face. He looks around for one of the others, dazed and unable to hear any of what is happening.

"IS THAT IT? IS THAT THE DEMON THING WE GOT THE THING FOR? HUH?!?" he shouts, cupping his hand to his ear. "I CAN'T HEAR A F+++IN' THING. GIVE ME A THUMBS UP OR SOMETHING!"


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp +1 Tough +1 Weird -1 | Luck 7 | Harm xxx|oooo | XP 4

Tom stares at the enormous shadow creature. He had been rooted in place by fear, but Sean's shouting, of which he could barely hear the words, wakes him from his reverie.

Tom didn't even know how to fight a shadow, or what the creature might be able to do to him if he missed, but he couldn't just stand there while the creature's razor-sharp hands were cutting Allison to pieces.

Tom charges the creature from behind, lifting his weapon above his head and using it to take the creature's arms off of its victims.

Using the move What Could Go Wrong? and holding 1 to prevent 1 harm to Allison.


Tom
You swing your hammer into the shadow arm. It flows around it like liquid, splashing and moving around. You don't do any real damage, but it disrupted its clawing.

Allison, take 2 harm instead of 1 harm
Tom, do you want to spend your last hold to do 1 harm to the shadow monster or are you saving it for later?

Arriane, don't forget that you can cash in your Fortunes hold.
* Have a useful object ready.
• Be somewhere you are needed, just in time.
• Take +1 forward, or give +1 forward to another hunter.
• Retroactively warn someone about an attack, so that it doesn’t happen

Also, to everyone, don't forget that you can spend 1 point of luck to negate harm or take 12 on a roll. You can also "read a bad situation" and take +1 when acting on that information as long as its relevant. So far Arriane has +1 for anything around getting to the kids or avoiding the little shadow monsters that haven't yet appeared.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Charm -1 | Cool +1 | Sharp 0 | Tough +2 | Weird +1 | Luck:○○○○○○○ Harm:●●●■●○○○ 1-Armor(holy) Experience ■■□□□

"Is this where you run? I don't think that egg is going to chase us. I think it's time for some chosen one-ing." Sunny takes an asian peach from his pocket and hurls it at Sean.

Use Magic to Heal: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2) + 1 = 9
I'll take immediate, unwanted attention.

The rotten peach pegs Sean in the shoulder, splattering and releasing a weak burst of immortal energy.


Sunny
The egg is completely gone. For your purposes the monster is the shadow demon incarnation.

Your peach strikes Sean, healing him completely. He’s still getting choked though.

That’s when the shades leap out of the mundane shadows and advance upon you. Three of them, moving fast. What do you do?


Charm -1 | Cool +1 | Sharp 0 | Tough +2 | Weird +1 | Luck:○○○○○○○ Harm:●●●■●○○○ 1-Armor(holy) Experience ■■□□□

"You fools are-" Sunny ducks the first shadow to pass, plants his cane on the pavement outside the door, "-so lucky-" The cane extends, vaulting Sunny...

Act Under Pressure: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 = 6
Everyone's getting punches for xmas.


Anyone want to assist Sunny? You run the risk of opening yourself to the dangers he faces BUT you can hype that from "Sunny leaps over them AND some complication happens" to "Sunny leaps INTO the shadows and bad things happen to him"


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Sorry, I misunderstood that Sean was still being choked. When you mentioned turning the head to mist, I assumed that cultist was dead. Given that, Sean will likely fire again, attempting to free himself and kill the cultist, before doing anything else.

Sean instantly feels better as the peach hits him. "THANKS! THE GOO WAS GOOD THIS TIME!" he gurgles. He racks the pump on the shotgun and raises it, firing again at the thing choking him.

KSA: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7

He hits, but the recoil catches him off-guard and his gore-slick hands cause him to drop the weapon. Or feel free to add another complication, of course.


Charm -1|Cool +1|Sharp +1|Tough 0|Weird +2 Luck 7/7|Harm 3/7

Allison Reels from the attack, feeling warm blood spreading across her shirt, and backing up as far as she can.

But Sunny moves in, about to attack the enemy shadows, or rather, pin himself between the shadows and the demon-god thing, and gives him a push with a slight current of air, not enough to really be noticed, but enough to put him where he wanted to go.

Help sunny out: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 4) + 1 = 10


Sean O'Halloran wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood that Sean was still being choked. When you mentioned turning the head to mist, I assumed that cultist was dead. Given that, Sean will likely fire again, attempting to free himself and kill the cultist, before doing anything else.

You know what, that's my mistake. You're right. Sean isn't still in the grip of the cultist. You can take a different action.


Sunny
With Allison's support, you leap over the shadows, but they stick like tar to your cane. You can spend some time trying to pry it back, or be without your walking stick until these things are destroyed.


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

No worries. Not like you have anything else on your mind. :)

Retconning... I will re-use that roll, if that's alright? If not, let me know and I'll roll again.

Sean shakes his head, trying to clear his mind and stop the ringing in his ears. Seeing the giant shadow monster facing Allison and Tom, he draws his Glock and lines up his shot. He fires, the bullet striking true, but the recoil and the goo cause him to drop his pistol.


Sean
You can use the roll...but you're shooting at a monster that hasn't been tapped with his weakness yet, so something different happens

You fire your glock and the bullet goes into the shadow monster and then back at you like space bent within it.

Take two harm


Charm -1|Cool +1|Sharp +1|Tough 0|Weird +2 Luck 7/7|Harm 3/7

wait, the egg thing wasn't the anchor?


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Oh... I thought the bullet we got from the hipster demon was what was supposed to weaken him. That's the one I fired. My mistake.


(0 harm, 0/7 luck spent) Initiate 1.0 (Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +1, Tough +0, Weird +2)

I had forgotten about the 'retcon an attack' option on that. Seems like it might come in handy soon.

"Tom, shoot it! The big one!" Arianne calls out. As she does, she moves towards the chained boy, using her spear to try and swing the closest work light ahead of her, clearing the pool of shadow between her and the boy.

Definitely feels like an...
Act Under Pressure, +1 forward: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8


The egg is not the anchor, apparently. Must have been something else. The Bullet is a weakness but the bullet is in Tom’s gun, not yours


Ari
It works! The light falls to clear the shadow between you and Tom (who probably doesn’t live being called “boy”) but it creates an even larger shadow directly behind you. Four more shades pour out and rush out to you.


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Okay, I am going with it. I am beyond confused... because Sean handed Tom his Glock with the special round loaded, and Tom handed it back and said "I don't want to take away your gun, since you know how to use it and I don't." Not trying to argue, at all... I am completely good with whatever. I've just been operating under the impression that he gave back the special bullet. So... retcon again.


I COMPLETELY missed that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. RETCON!

The bullet whizzes into the shadow monster and it...changes. It becomes more solid and less corporeal. If that makes sense.

It’s vulnerable to whatever you want to do to it now.


Charm -1 | Cool +1 | Sharp 0 | Tough +2 | Weird +1 | Luck:○○○○○○○ Harm:●●●■●○○○ 1-Armor(holy) Experience ■■□□□

Sunny rocks a lazy arc at the end of his extended cane before coming to a wobbly stop, scrambling at the top of a vertical pole, shoes slipping against the red lacquer of his cane. Catching his breath, he finishes his statement. "-I'm playing with a handicap!"

"All right! I've given you all plenty of chances. I'm proud of my own discipline, and I think I've grown a lot, but now you've all got to the count of three, then I'm going to defeat every last one of you." Fumbling, Sunny pushes himself up into a precarious hand stand, like a drunk uncle showing his nieces and nephews how he used to keg stand when he was in college. "One!"

Sean O'Halloran wrote:

Okay, I am going with it. I am beyond confused... because Sean handed Tom his Glock with the special round loaded, and Tom handed it back and said "I don't want to take away your gun, since you know how to use it and I don't." Not trying to argue, at all... I am completely good with whatever. I've just been operating under the impression that he gave back the special bullet. So... retcon again.

I thought that was the extra gun with regular defend-yourself bullets.


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp +1 Tough +1 Weird -1 | Luck 7 | Harm xxx|oooo | XP 4

I had shared Sunny's understanding - I just hadn't wanted to leave Sean without his best gun since Tom felt he couldn't use it and already had other weapons - but at this point is it worth doing a retcon of a retcon of a retcon?

Meetch wrote:

Tom, do you want to spend your last hold to do 1 harm to the shadow monster or are you saving it for later?

I didn't use the last one right away just in case something would go horribly wrong.


I don’t want to do another retcon. Let’s leave as is.


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Absolutely, and sorry for any misunderstanding on my part. :)


(0 harm, 0/7 luck spent) Initiate 1.0 (Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +1, Tough +0, Weird +2)

I was trying to clear a path to the chained captive, not Tom. Not that it matters immediately, since with a bunch of new friends it's time to...

Arianne whirls around and, remembering that Sean's knife seemed to work at the manor, jabs repeatedly at the approaching shades with her spear.

Kick Some Ass, +1 from Reading: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (4, 3) + 1 = 8 3-harm.


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp +1 Tough +1 Weird -1 | Luck 7 | Harm xxx|oooo | XP 4

Just after Tom starts to maneuver himself out of the range of the monster, he remembers how Sunny had wanted him to attack first.

"Is this the real thing?" he asked back. It certainly seemed so, so Tom lifted his sledgehammer once more and hit the monster once more, despite himself.

Kick Ass: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 6) + 1 = 12

3 harm hand messy
+1 harm for 10+, and I'll use the hold for +1 harm now if the monster survives after that hit


Arianne
You pierce the shade with ease, but you’re basically striking your spear into cement. That’s...bad for spears. The head chips a bit. It’s not broken, but it’s damaged.

What special material is the spear head made of? Who will be offended if they see its condition?

Tom
You bring the hammer down hard on the demon and it’s a bit like hitting a ziplock bag full of quicksand. You’ve damaged it for sure, but it doesn’t seem like it really has internal organs anymore.

It isn’t taking that beating without retaliation. A jet black tentacle lashes out from the demon and wraps around your leg, knocking you prone. You feel the tug as it starts to reel you in...


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp +1 Tough +1 Weird -1 | Luck 7 | Harm xxx|oooo | XP 4

Act Under Pressure: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6

Tom's momentary glory is cut short as soon as the demon strikes back. Tom lets out a whimper as he tries to wriggle out of the monster's tentacle, but to no effect. As much as he fights it, the demon squeezes his leg harder and harder, leaving Tom immobile, speechless and gasping for breath.


Charm -1 | Cool +1 | Sharp 0 | Tough +2 | Weird +1 | Luck:○○○○○○○ Harm:●●●■●○○○ 1-Armor(holy) Experience ■■□□□

"Two!" The cane shrinks dramatically, and Sunny spins backward, planting his feet against the thin pole and pulling the top of the cane over his head. The cane bows with the tension.

Use Magic to Enchant a Weapon: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 1) + 1 = 4


Charm +2 | Cool +1 | Sharp +1 | Tough 0 | Weird -1 | Luck 7/7 | Harm 3/7 | XP 1

Sean sees the shadow-thing mostly ignore the weapons of Tom and Arianne. When it grabs Tom's leg, he pulls out his knife and jumps onto the tentacle, trying to sever it or at least get its attention off of the younger man.

Protect Someone: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7


Tom
The shadow monster reacts to your struggle by squeezing MUCH harder. You feel the bone in your leg start to splinter.

Sean
However, before it can break Tom’s leg completely, it instead snatches Sean from the air with a new tenticle and flings him away.
Tom and Sean, share the 3 harm coming Tom’s way. 2 harm to Tom, 1 to Sean

Sunny
You grip the cane tightly, trying to infuse it with your divine spirit.

Instead, you invite the shadow instead. The cane bursts out of the shadowy goo and begins flying around and striking you 1 harm. You’re going to need to do something about this, quickly.


Sunny and Tom, take 1 xp each for your failures.


Charm -1 | Cool +1 | Sharp 0 | Tough +2 | Weird +1 | Luck:○○○○○○○ Harm:●●●■●○○○ 1-Armor(holy) Experience ■■□□□

Sunny splutters, summersalting through the air. "Ghu- Three!" The cane, while not the massive pillar he was hoping for, was still a substantial threat to any shadows in the area as it's brought down.

Kick Some Ass: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6) + 2 = 9
3-harm hand area messy holy smite


Sunny, I may have been unclear. Your staff is ACTIVELY ATTACKING YOU.

Meetch wrote:
The cane bursts out of the shadowy goo and begins flying around and striking you 1 harm. You’re going to need to do something about this, quickly.

You can't use it to attack foes. It IS a foe.


Charm -1|Cool +1|Sharp +1|Tough 0|Weird +2 Luck 7/7|Harm 3/7

Once again, sunny is having problems. The longer she spent with him, the more she wondered what "journey to the west" had actually been.

but Sunny was one of their better weapons. Sean had shot it already, but he and Tom could probably make it until Sunny got to smacking. Allison planted her staff to ground the magic, and raised her ringed hand, index and middle fingers pointed, thumb parallel to them, and utters Téigh amach

use magic to Banish a spirit or curse from the person, object, or place it inhabits.: 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1, 5) + 2 + 1 = 9

1 harm


There’s a crackle of light around the staff and it drops harmlessly to the floor.


Anyone alive out there? A demon monster is trying to eat Tom. It’s vulnerable but if you want to banish it you need to lure it away.

1 to 50 of 339 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Monster of the week All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.