GM supervillan's Gameday VII 8-20 Torrent's Last Will (Inactive)

Game Master supervillan

underwater combat rules

Maps & handouts


1 to 50 of 374 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

On the Plane of Water, familiar sights grow on impossible scales, from monumental swaths of kelp to utterly titanic sea creatures. The Society has traced a powerful relic to a tremendous shell adrift within a miles-wide swarm of giant jellyfish, and with the help of new allies, the PCs might recover it. They had best beware, though, for the Plane of Water is home to sahuagin and worse that are not eager to welcome intruders.

Liberty's Edge

male Elf Diviner 4/Archer 4
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 11|HP: 36/36|F +4, R +6, W +6 (+2 vs Enchantment/red dragon breath, +1 vs fear*)|Init +6, Perc +12|CMB +10* CMD 22|8/11 Prescience, 0/1 Pearl, 1/1 Arcane Bond, #14

After the very sudden loss of one of their resident planar cartographers, the planar metropolis of Vialesk has lately welcomed a surprising new one....

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Standing in the darkess corner of the room, and in absolute silence, stands the half-orc named Kelumur. Dressed only in shades of black and grey, the dull magma skinned half-orc, whose hood obscures most of his facial features, eyes the room, studying every detail possible. Four daggers made of silver and cold iron hang tightly on his belt. He carries a worn grey handy haversack that seemingly never leaves his possession at any time, and a mithril shield rest on the back of it.

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

Though she has never visited the Plane of Water before, the undine Ursahla is right at home in the watery environment. She leaves off her human guise for her natural form. Her outfit is reminiscent of the pirate captains of The Shackles, with a gleaming mithril rapier at her hip, a buckler strapped to her arm and a crossbow, designed for underwater use, slung across her back.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

A short, strongly built half orc strolls into the room. He is bedecked in gleaming Mithril armor from head to toe, and carries a darkwood shield. A trio of odd looking swords hand at his belt. He wears a jovial smile and is laughing as he walks into the room. Shortly after he enters, you see an even odder site - a rhinoceros enters after him.

Haha! Friends! I hear we are going to the plane of water! You are all in for a treat - have you ever smelled a wet rhinoceros? It is one of the more interesting things you will ever smell! Kelumur! Good to see you again! And for the rest of you, I am Kramac, and this is Jino.

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Kelumur does not look amused at the thought of a wet rhino, but does extends his hand to greet Kramac. "It is good to see that a capable fighter like you are tasked to this as well."

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56+13/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

A young woman with extremely fair skin, long red flowing hair and piercing green eyes is the next to arrive. Dressed in a long robe with the hood currently draped down over her back, she seems to radiate a dark energy despite her youthful and attractive appearance. A large raven sits perched on her shoulder.

Dark Archive

Male LN Oread Druid 6 Hellknight Signifer 1 | HP 56/58 | Oread form: Medium AC 21 T 11 FF 20 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F +9, R +6, W +13 | Wildshape: 2/3 | Troll Form: Large AC 21+3 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +12, CMD 23 | F +9, R +5, W +13 | | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +7 | Speed 15 30 | Active: Shillelagh, DR10/adamantine (60/70), Ablative Barrier (25/40), Lucky Number (1), Longstrider, Heightened Awareness, Heroism, Barkskin | Constant: Combat Reflexes

A stern looking man enters, accompanied by a large armored rhinoceros. The man’s face is completely covered by a sinister-looking mask that does not appear to even have eye slits. His armor is of the Hellknight fashion but, curiously, it is constructed from shiny scales rather than steel, dragonhide in fact. He peers about the room, as if looking for something from behind his impenetrable mask, and then appears to sigh dejectedly before removing his head covering to reveal a remarkably ugly face.

”I am Otto O’Read, a signifier of the Order of the Nail. And this – “ he pats the rhino – it is in fact an elasmotherium, a fancy name for a rhino, – on the head – ”this is Rhon. Hail and well met, I suppose."

Otto is a rather serious fellow, fastidiously dressed, and continually checking to make sure that all the buttons on his tunic are lined up with the edge of a ruler. Talking with him, one soon forms the impression that he would much prefer to be at home, tending his garden, and that he comes by the adventurer's life rather reluctantly. "If you don't keep after them, the fields will become clogged with weeds! And the plants themselves, they run amok, this way and that, it doesn't matter if you have planted them in neat and tidy rows - they have no discipline. That's why they need me, to lend a guiding hand, to straighten them out. The natural world, left to itself - bah, pure chaos - we druids must impose ourselves, and by the very force of our will, even the plants, even the animals, all their wildness can be tamed, must be tamed. Then all will be well. At least for the moment, but we must remain vigilant, for their wildness ever seeks to find expression, and to escape from our guidance. Bah!"

Otto lets out a long sigh. "And there I would be, at home, tending the garden, if not for that cursed dog! ... I don't suppose you've seen him?" He gives a description of a missing dog that is so generic that it could easily describe almost any small furry quadraped. (in fact, he is describing another of my characters, a kitsune who spends all his time in fox form) "Yes, it's true, I promised my mother that I would find her dog, no matter what it took, and that I would not return home without him. How was I to know that it would become a quest of not days or weeks, but years? Poor mother. I wonder if she is even still alive, or if I will ever see her again, but I am a man of my word, and I will tread every inch of Golarion - and beyond - until I find that dog. He is a very bad doggy, no discipline at all!"

"But there you have it. One does not choose the quest, one's quest chooses you. I SHALL find that dog, if it's the last thing I do... I do wonder about my azaleas though," he sighs wistfully, "do you think anyone has been watering them?"


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

"Otto my friend if your Mama's little dog found his way here he's in a world of trouble I fear!"

The speaker is a blue-skinned woman wearing gossamer robes, who approaches you through the bustling crowd of Splendour’s Docks, the district where trade goods and travelers usually arrive in the city of Vialesk, and where you have congregated, some of you having been Plane Shifted from the Grand Lodge very recently, the rest of you already present. The smells of fish, salt, and strange spices waft through the air at the docks. Outside the air bubble, a pod of whales lazily circles the city, tended by an ocean giant shepherd.

“Hail, Pathfinders!” the woman calls, “Welcome to Vialesk, greatest city in the Plane of Water. My name is Zahra; I am the Pathfinder currently organising our interests on this plane. We have much to discuss. Over the past several years, I have slowly pieced together rumours and legends pointing to the location of a hidden font of elemental power. I believe an artifact is stored away inside a giant seashell hidden within the Lambent Bloom— a forest of jellyfish. I set out to inspect the shell recently, but my expedition ran afoul of a spy working for the shell’s current occupants. It seems that it is currently inhabited by a tribe of sahuagin under the rule of a cunning leader named Baron Zemdar. With the help of other Pathfinders agents, I discovered that Zemdar is using the power of the shell to control the tides.

And thanks to valiant agents like Zeno and Otto here, we were able to thwart Zemdar’s plot to redirect the course of the Lambent Bloom directly into Vialesk, covering the city in a pink jellyfish doom. According to his spy’s logs, Zemdar planned to raid the city and make off with whatever treasures his warriors could carry during the ensuing chaos. Zemdar himself still lurks within the shell, and I can think of no-one I trust more than you to put an end to the threat he poses to Vialesk.

To this end, I have organized a new expedition in partnership with the city guard and a brine dragon ally named Razethka. We will lead the expedition to the shell and help deal with the sahuagin threat. Then, once Zemdar is defeated, we can freely explore the site and locate the artifact hidden inside. Additionally, I believe the shell acts as a magical amplifier of sorts, so once we remove the artifact, we might be able to redirect the shell’s energies to more useful purposes. We have roughly twenty-four hours until the expedition departs, so use this time to prepare. You are in the metropolis of Vialesk - you can find whatever you need here!”

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Kelumur looks a little concern at the sound of jellyfish, turning to the Zahra he asks straight to point, "Will most of our journey be underwater? If it is so, we will need to be able to breath and move with relative ease. Will the Society be providing us with these supplies or shall we be procuring them ourselves?"


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

“You should be able to find whatever supplies you need in the markets of Vialesk" replies Zahra. "Razethka will be able to provide you with unlimited water breathing spells, but it might be wise to pick up additional underwater supplies. There will be no air once we leave the city. Also make sure you stop by the Azure Armory; I have arranged for the city guard to loan you weapons designed for underwater fighting from their stockade, if you desire.”

Dark Archive

Male LN Oread Druid 6 Hellknight Signifer 1 | HP 56/58 | Oread form: Medium AC 21 T 11 FF 20 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F +9, R +6, W +13 | Wildshape: 2/3 | Troll Form: Large AC 21+3 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +12, CMD 23 | F +9, R +5, W +13 | | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +7 | Speed 15 30 | Active: Shillelagh, DR10/adamantine (60/70), Ablative Barrier (25/40), Lucky Number (1), Longstrider, Heightened Awareness, Heroism, Barkskin | Constant: Combat Reflexes

In response to Zahra's comments about his missing dog, Otto nods. "Aye, 'tis a sign of what a quest it has become that I now must seek for the creature even unto the other planes themselves. For I have turned much of Golarion and beyond upside down looking for him. If he is still on the Material Plane he is well hidden."

After receiving the mission briefing, Otto replies, "Wonderful, an underwater expedition with a dragon for an ally. What could possibly go wrong?"

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

"Treasures, hmm..." purrs the undine with a glint of greed in her eye. "No need for extra precations on my account. I am at home under the waves and my weapons shall function fine."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

Kramac holds up several scrolls. I made some preparations before traveling here. I would like to visit the armory and pick up something more suited to udnerwater.

Liberty's Edge

male Elf Diviner 4/Archer 4
Spoiler:
|AC 16, T 16, FF 11|HP: 36/36|F +4, R +6, W +6 (+2 vs Enchantment/red dragon breath, +1 vs fear*)|Init +6, Perc +12|CMB +10* CMD 22|8/11 Prescience, 0/1 Pearl, 1/1 Arcane Bond, #14
GM supervillan wrote:
"And thanks to valiant agents like Zeno and Otto here, we were able to thwart Zemdar’s plot to redirect the course of the Lambent Bloom directly into Vialesk, covering the city in a pink jellyfish doom."

Zeno - a tall, athletically-built, tastefully-dressed Elf with platinum hair and turquoise eyes, carrying both a stunning set of Elven weapons and an elegant silver grimoire, looks over at the Hellknight.

"Is that so? I don't believe we've met, Signifier. I've been here ever since the - very sudden loss of one of the city's premier planar cartographers found me with quite an opportunity to expand my horizons (if you will pardon the Prime vernacular). Yourself?"

I find his surfeit of faith disturbing, He thinks to himself before looking back out into the infinite ocean with its chaos of colors, currents, and bizarre life.

'All must be tamed', he says; good luck with that.

He allows himself a faint smile, then turns back to the others.

"With the exception of a package I'm expecting from Golarion, I believe I've already got what I need."

I'll spend 2 Prestige on a wand of lucky number, because why did I never think of that before?!

He then turns to Zahra.

"Is there anything more you can tell us about this suspected 'artifact', or the great shell?"

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Kelumur listens intently to Zeno's question on the artefact and throws in a few more to cover all angles with intent to be best prepared.
"Pray tell, what do we know of the brine dragon? His history? Are we to trust the dragon or be suspicious of it's intent?"

In his head he also starts to plan his purchases; 4 potions of touch of the sea for 200 gp, upgrade of mithral shirt to Shadow and +1 +4750gp.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

"Good questions, all. The shell once belonged to a massive nautilus named Riam the Unyielding, who was a chief servant of Lysianassa, the good elemental lord of water. Kelizandri, the evil elemental lord of water, defeated Lysianassa long ago, but before her defeat, Lysianassa entrusted Riam with a portion of her power, stored within the artifact. Riam fled with the artifact into the wilderness, but he was eventually overcome and fatally wounded by minions of Kelizandri. I believe Riam’s shell was lost within the Lambent Bloom, however, so Kelizandri never discovered the artifact inside it. After that, I believe the shell was used as a pilgrimage site for a time and then eventually became inhabited by tribes of bloodthirsty humanoids. It is hard to say for certain because the shell is warded against divination magic.

I suspect that the pilgrims of Lysianassa viewed the shell as a holy site and they have probably hidden away the artifact somewhere in the shell. To find it, be respectful and pay special attention to the religious symbols and traditions that you might find inside the shell.

Razethka is a powerful brine dragon that helped fund my first expedition to the Lambent Bloom. I looked into her past before we became partners, so I know that she once ruled a tribe of locathahs in the Brackish Empire. She was dethroned years ago by the schemes of a powerful kraken and still bears the scars of her defeat, though she hides them well. Since that time, she has lived in Vialesk and seems focused on regaining her lost wealth and prestige. I wouldn’t ask about her scars—she is very sensitive about them. Razethka has dealt honourably with me, and I would not be able to mount this new expedition without her. She suffered losses with the failure of the first expedition, and will want to make good those losses."

We'll turn to the Armoury visit once everyone's done with questions for Zahra. Unusually you have no Knowledge checks to make at this point. Also, a reminder that you may want Potion Sponges for your potions.

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Adding 4 potion sponges to purchases! Since Kelumur is a close up combatant with a piercing weapon (dagger), he will likely not take anything from the armory. No further questions from me.

Kelumur nods understandingly, but inside still holds some suspicions towards Razethka. The rogue looks to see if his companions are ready for travel.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

What do we know of this Baron Zemdar? How much of a fight will he put up? And what do the hazards of the Lambent Bloom entail? It sounds as if we might need to pass through it.

Turning to his companions,

A signifier eh? Kramac adventured with some of your order before - dealing with a nasty bit of business with qlippoths up in the mountains. Perhaps after this, we have a race, eh? See who is faster- Rhon and Otto or Jino and Kramac.

As he speaks, it is easy to notice the holy symbol depicting a flexed arm around his neck, indicating his worship of Kurgess, god of sport, competition, and fair play around his neck.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

“The Lambent Bloom is a forest-like bloom of poisonous jellyfish that is nearly one hundred miles wide. Although the bloom can be navigated with care, most creatures simply go around the region, which is why the sahuagin have been able to flourish there unimpeded.

For centuries, many petty tribes of sahuagin have lived inside the Lambent Bloom and, over time, they mutated to adapt to their environment. They are immune to the jellyfish poison now and are covered in streaks of vibrant pink camouflage. Until recently, the disparate tribes continually warred amongst themselves, but Baron Zemdar has somehow united them. That, more so than individual strength, is what makes him dangerous Kramac."


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

"If you have any more questions, I'll be with you on this expedition pathfinders!"

Zahra heads off to finalise her own preparations, leaving you with directions to your rendezvous for departure. If you do have any more questions for her, go ahead and post them.

As you make your way to the Azure Armoury to see what's on offer, a tiny crab accosts Otto. The little creature holds a small package in one claw, and with the other it taps Otto insistently on his armoured foot until the Hellknight druid takes notice.

Otto:
You see that the package is marked with your name, and a tiny sigil in the shape of the Dark Archive symbol. Taking the package, you find that it is a small stone covered in runic engraving that appears to describe a ritual for channeling energy across planar boundaries. The vellum wrapping holds a message on the inside, written in the distinctive elegant hand of Zarta Dralneen, head of the Dark Archive. It reads:

"Otto darling,
One of the greatest threats that those of us who work in the Pathfinder Society’s archives face is the unchecked power of dangerous artifacts. For the past several months, I have been preparing a ritual to improve defenses on these relics, both to protect the rooms that contain them from would-be thieves and to prevent the artifacts themselves from exerting influence upon unsuspecting researchers. Such wards require a significant repository of magical energy, which field agents like you have been playing an instrumental role in gathering. I read Zahra’s reports regarding a shell that controls the tides by channeling the power of an artifact, and I agree with her assessment that this energy could be directed to different purposes. Follow the enclosed instructions to safely guide the elemental force across the planes.
Take Care,
Z"

The Azure Armoury is a massive blue building that serves as a barracks for the sprawling city's guards. It has a section in the air bubble of Splendour's Docks. The Quartermaster, a stern aquatic elf, has been expecting you.

"I am authorised to loan you certain weapons for your expedition. Surety has been provided by your sponsors."

The Quartermaster provides exquisite underwater crossbows and a supply of bolts to those who desire them, taking your signatures (or equivalent identifying marks) to acknowledge receipt.

"I am further authorised to loan you weapons of your own choosing, surety to be provided in the form of weapons that you currently hold that you may judge less suitable for defending yourselves out in the Blue."

The Quartermaster places a pair of strange looking lenses over his eyes, and regards you expectantly.

You may each borrow for the duration of the scenario a masterwork underwater crossbow (light or heavy as you prefer) and 40 crossbow bolts. In addition, you may (for the duration of the scenario) exchange any weapons that you possess for equivalent value weapons from the Armoury, disregarding base values. The Armoury has any simple or martial piercing weapon you might want. For example, if you have a +1 flaming battleaxe, you could trade that for a +1 frost trident. The Armoury also has enchanted underwater crossbows that they can exchange for your projectile weapons.

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

Ursahla holds up her underwater crossbow and her rapier and reject the Quartermaster's offer.

"I come prepared. How about you keep your weapons and I'll keep my signature."

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

"Likewise." Kelumur sharpens his daggers while waiting for the rest to peruse the armory.

Dark Archive

Male LN Oread Druid 6 Hellknight Signifer 1 | HP 56/58 | Oread form: Medium AC 21 T 11 FF 20 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F +9, R +6, W +13 | Wildshape: 2/3 | Troll Form: Large AC 21+3 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +12, CMD 23 | F +9, R +5, W +13 | | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +7 | Speed 15 30 | Active: Shillelagh, DR10/adamantine (60/70), Ablative Barrier (25/40), Lucky Number (1), Longstrider, Heightened Awareness, Heroism, Barkskin | Constant: Combat Reflexes

Otto carefully stows away the package sent by the crab and proceeds with the others to the Armory. While he is interesting in perusing the wares, in the end he decides to stick with his own trusty scythe and club.

"Well, I believe I'm ready to go. How far away is it and how long can we expect to travel to get there? Will we need to swim the whole way or do we have another way to reach our destination?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

Kramac will peruse the weapons, before picking out a few. He'll draw his cold iron, silver, and normal chicken saber, exchanging them all for punching daggers of the same type. He hands over his weapons as collateral, and signs the document in large, neat block letters.

Kramac will also pick up a pair of antitoxins to aid in delaying with the lambent bloom.

Decked out with his new weapons, Kramac will declare

Kramac is ready. Let us set out and find this shell and rid if of its wicked sanguhin occupants.

Picking up a +1 Fortuitous Punching Dagger, a cold iron punching dagger, a silver punching dagger. He'll also take an underwater crossbow.

Otto - I haven't gotten Jino an amulet of mighty fists. If you're feeling generous and have a spare 3rd level spell, can you hit him with a Greater Magic Fang when we get to our destination?


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Otto, Zahra is preparing for a journey that may take several weeks. The expedition will provide for food and other basic needs. She cannot give an exact journey time - both the ward against divinations and the abnormal unpredictability of the planar tides have made that impossible. Those who can swim fast enough to keep up may do so, but transportation will be available. You are all to meet at the docks in good time tomorrow.

Kramac your sheet only shows a +1 double chicken sabre, but I think I recall you using the Fortuitous enchantment in our most recent outing; is it a +1 Fortuitous double chicken sabre? If so, your swaps for punching daggers are all good.

I'll move us all on once everybody has checked in and confirmed purchases, weapon trades, and/or questions.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6
GM supervillan wrote:

Otto, Zahra is preparing for a journey that may take several weeks. The expedition will provide for food and other basic needs. She cannot give an exact journey time - both the ward against divinations and the abnormal unpredictability of the planar tides have made that impossible. Those who can swim fast enough to keep up may do so, but transportation will be available. You are all to meet at the docks in good time tomorrow.

Kramac your sheet only shows a +1 double chicken sabre, but I think I recall you using the Fortuitous enchantment in our most recent outing; is it a +1 Fortuitous double chicken sabre? If so, your swaps for punching daggers are all good.

I'll move us all on once everybody has checked in and confirmed purchases, weapon trades, and/or questions.

Yea - I upgraded a while back. I always miss a few things when updating from meatspace games back to forum games. Upgraded it at Gencon.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Everyone set? Seldanna, are you still with us?

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

All set

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Kelumur is halfway out the door.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Seldanna is on vacation till Sunday. We'll progress - if Seldanna needs to make purchases when she gets back from hols that'll be fine.

After enjoying the wondrous sights and sounds of Vialesk's 'air-side' docks (and perhaps, for those of you with the capability, venturing into the much larger city-proper) you return to meet Zahra at the city docks the next day, where the expedition is making final preparations.

Twenty undines, known as maridar in Vialesk, are busy strapping provisions to whale sharks. They outfit several of the sharks with harnesses, allowing those of you who are not skillful swimmers to tie yourselves to a shark instead of relying upon your own swimming abilities.

Lounging on a bed of seaweed nearby is Razethka, a large brine dragon covered with artfully groomed sea anemones meant to conceal the sucker-mark scars that mar her hide.

Zahra greets you. "Hail, pathfinders! We are almost ready to depart. Razethka will provide you with Water Breathing, then it's into the Blue!"

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

"No really that's not..." Ursahla points to the lines at the side of her neck. "See? Gills."

Ursahla gives the maridar and especially the dragon a once over, trying to get an initial gauge of their attitudes and intent. (+11 Sense Motive)

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Having not seen a dragon in life before, Kelumur is a little startled internally but keeps a calm and steady front. Turning to Razethka, he greets the creature "I am Kelumur, any assistance on underwater breathing is much appreciated."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

This should be quite the journey. Razethka, you are truly awe-inspiring. Kramac looks forward to having an opportunity to travel with a dragon.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

gm screen:
u sm: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Ursahla, the maridar are focused and efficient. They smile politely, but do not indulge in idle chit-chat whilst preparing the expedition for departure. Razethka is haughty and detached.

"Kelumur, fear not. The waters are mine to command!" says the dragon as she conjures her innate draconic magic and bestows Water Breathing upon the half-orc. "Return to me each day for my blessing."

"Ah, you are as wise as you are fortunate Kramac!" Razethka smiles a wide, toothy grin. She casts her gaze towards Otto and Zeno who have met her before.

The dragon bestows Water Breathing on all those who need it (including companion creatures).


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Your expedition leaves the trade-city of Vialesk, with its great granite foundation and its towers of stone and shell, far behind. You swim (or are towed by the whale sharks) through the Boundless Sea of the Plane of Water for three weeks, witnessing fantastical sights.

You see fish of all colours and sizes, some of them larger than the largest buildings in Absalom. You meet marids and merfolk. The maridar scouts guide you away from a roving Kraken, leaving Razethka agitated - whether the brine dragon is angered at the missed opportunity for battle, or anxious at the threat of the cyclopean creature to her expedition, you cannot discern.

Eventually you reach the vicinity of the Lambent Bloom. You spend the last day of the journey winding your way through the giant pink jellyfish of the Bloom, which makes for slow travel. Over the last hour of the journey, the water around the expedition party begins to rhythmically ebb and flow—evidence, Zahra suggests, that you are nearing the shell. She directs those of you who are strapped to sharks to unharness themselves and to cling instead to the shark’s fins for the final approach in case you need to be able to move about freely.

You're on final approach to your mission's destination. I'll pause here to let you rp a bit, and wait for Seldanna's return on Sunday.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

Look sharp everyone! Sanghuin may be in the area! Razethka - this is your domain. Any advice for a soggy land dweller before we wade into combat? These tides are most disconcerting - I feel like I'll be swept away at any moment.

Kramac will also request that Otha cast Kramac's scroll of Ride the Waves on Jino. Then Kramac will pull out the two antitoxin sponges and chew on one himself, tossing the other to Jino, who swallows it whole. Then he will slide into Jino's saddle and strap his shield on, and pull out his lance.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LN Oread Druid 6 Hellknight Signifer 1 | HP 56/58 | Oread form: Medium AC 21 T 11 FF 20 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F +9, R +6, W +13 | Wildshape: 2/3 | Troll Form: Large AC 21+3 T 10 FF 20 | CMB +12, CMD 23 | F +9, R +5, W +13 | | Init +6 | Perc +11 SM +7 | Speed 15 30 | Active: Shillelagh, DR10/adamantine (60/70), Ablative Barrier (25/40), Lucky Number (1), Longstrider, Heightened Awareness, Heroism, Barkskin | Constant: Combat Reflexes

Apologies for the delay in posting - been a hectic few days

@Kramac, yes I'll prep a Greater Magic Fang for your rhino and one for mine too. And I'll also use your scroll of Ride the Waves as requested.

Otto finds the journey most interesting. Except when sleeping, he spends the time in the form of a Freshwater Merrow and thus easily moves about in the water as normal. He finds the sheer disorder of the aquatic realm more than a little disturbing, and he is overheard several times muttering to himself about how difficult it would be to weed these "gardens", not to mention the seeming impossibility of arranging the watery vegetation in proper rows. He also has to reluctantly agree that it's quite unlikely that his Mother's dog has escaped to this realm. Or he does so until it occurs to him that the dog could have availed itself of water-breathing just as easily Rhon has, and after this he cannot help but spend the rest of the journey peering grimly from side to side, searching for the lost aqua-dog.

Poor Rhon, however, is considerably less enthusiastic about the whole venture. While his dim animal mind recognizes that he is not in fact drowning, that doesn't make the experience of clinging to a school of whale sharks any more appealing. Rhon attempts to mollify him with regular rhino treats, but unfortunately they have become rather soggier than Rhon likes.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Razethka seems to enjoy Kramac's deference to her knowledge. "If you lack your comrade's shapeshifting abilities Kramac, then be sure to employ piercing weapons. Sahuagin are devious creatures, prone to entering a violent rage when wounded. It is best to kill them in a single blow."

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56+13/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

Seldanna will purchase 4 potion sponges, will accept the underwater crossbow and will also accept the Water Breathing spell.

Seldanna has been rather quiet on the journey so far, almost as if her mind were far away, obsessed with other thoughts and not on the mission at hand. As they near the shell, however, her attention snaps back to the present. "I have to admit that what we've heard and what I've managed to read about this Plane don't do it justice. No, not at all. Words can't really desc..."


Male Raven 9 | HP: 25/25 | AC: 19 (23 Mage Armor) | T: 14| FF: 17 (21 Mage Armor) | CMD: 10| Fort: +2 | Ref: +5 | Will: +8| Will: +8 | Init: +2 | Perc: +17 (lowlight) | Sense Motive: +2 |

"CAAAAAA...*BUBBLE* BUBBLE*...AAAAAWWW!" The young witch's raven struggles along behind her, flapping his way ungracefully through the water. The look he gives his mistress looks like it should be shooting hot fire towards her if the bird wasn't surrounded by water.

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

Kelumur prefers not to engage in idle chatter. During the journey, he watches out and absorbs the surroundings to every detail and creates contingency plans for every possible situation, escape, shark attacks, violent brine dragons, and much more. In true fashion to his nature, the rogue also keeps one of the potion sponges in his mouth ready to react.


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

A fantastical forest of giant jellyfish fills the water with a soft pink glow. Glimpses of a massive shell, covered with swirls of orange and white, can be caught through the jellyfish tendrils ahead. Suddenly the water reverberates with a rhythmic clanging as an alarm chime is sounded. Swarms of sahuagin and sharks seethe outward from the shell and ready themselves for battle.

“I will deal with the vermin on the right,” growls Razethka as
she darts away into the jellyfish.

“The maridar and I will handle the foes on the left,” shouts Zahra, “Pathfinders, head to the middle and slay Baron Zemdar!”

You will have spells with durations in hours already running, if you wish. Shorter duration spells will not be active. Kramac, you've used your Antitoxins. Otto, you will be in an aquatic wildshape, if you wish since you have enough uses to last. Time of arrival is not specified, so: wildshapes used: 1d3 ⇒ 2

gm screen:

PC initiative
Kramac: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Otto: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 Wildshape
Seldanna: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Urshala: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Zeno: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Kelemur: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Pet Lonan (Seldanna): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Pet Jino (Kramac): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16 Ride the Waves, GMF
Pet Rhon (Otto): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 GMF
zemdar: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
scouts: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

knowledge (nature) DC13:
Sahuagin are aquatic monstrous humanoids. Scaly and fish-like, they are sometimes known as "sea-devils". They are not native to the Plane of Water. As Razethka has already informed you, wounded Sahuagin go into a frenzy (blood rage).

DC18:
Sahuagin possess the ability to speak with sharks, and have a degree of command over the creatures.

DC23:
Sahuagin possess blindsense and darkvision. They are well adapted to ocean depths.

knowledge (nature OR planes) DC20:
The jellyfish of the Lambent Bloom are of a unique species. However you know that jellyfish venom typically disables rather than kills (DEX damage). These jellyfish are so large, with tentacle trains exceeding 100 feet in length, that merely being amongst the tentacles is likely to expose you to their venom.

Combat round 1

Seldanna
Urshala
Kelumur
Baron Zemdar
Zeno
Otto Wildshape
Jino Ride the Waves, Greater Magic Fang
Sahuagin Scouts
Lonan
GM stuff
Kramac
Rhon GMF

The bold may act

Please review the Underwater Combat rules linked at the top of the page! If you don't have a Swim Speed, the Swim DC here is 10.

The Exchange

Chaotic Neutral Undine Swashbuckler 2/Ranger 6/Vigilante 1 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 57/66 | AC: 24 (17 T, 19 F) | CMD: 25 | F: 9, R: 18, W: 9 | Init: 9 | Perc: 12 | Speed 30, swim 30 |
Tracked Resources:
Panache 5/5 | Charmed Life 3/3 | Reroll 1/1

Kn. Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

There he is, in the center, but leading from the back. Let's put a swift end to him.

Freebooter's Bane: Everyone gets +2 to hit and damage vs Baron Zemdar.

Ursahla moves forward with blade in hand.

Parry/Riposte:
Will parry the first melee attack against me. Does not include the bonus vs Baron Zemdar if he triggers it.

parry: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33
riposte: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

It might not be clear from the map alone, so I'll just point out that the jellyfish 'squares' do not block line of sight nor movement. The enormously long tendrils do not provide cover, nor concealment, but pose a hazard due to their venom. Each jellyfish square represents one of those long trains of tentacles - the jellyfish bodies proper are far above you.

Liberty's Edge

HalfOrc UC Rogue 5 Fighter 2 Brawler 1| HP:68/68 |AC:22 (24)[ T:17 FF:16 (18)| CMB:11 CMD:21 | Saves F:+10 R:+13 W:+3 | Init:+8 | Per:+13 (+2 hidden objects/+4 traps)

GM, are we going to consider elevation for the purpose of battle? Also, I recalled in some instances of rough water, creatures failing swim checks will sink, but I believe that was scenario specific rather than the general rule (from my days running Skulls & Shackles)

Kelumur immediately starts to digest the potion sponge in his mouth. Webs start to grow between his finger and toes as he puts on his battle face eyeing his target.

Full Round action to chew and swallow the sponge. (Touch of the Sea), Kelumur gets a swim speed of 30ft, can take 10 while swimming and gets a +8 bonus to swim for 1 minute.

The Concordance

Female Human Witch 10 | HP: 56+13/56 | AC: 18 (21 Mage Armor) | T: 15| FF: 15 (Mage Armor)| CMD: 20| Fort: +6 | Ref: +8| Will: +9 | Init: +9 | Perc: +12 | Sense Motive: +2 |

Seldanna will have her False Life and Mage Armor applied leading up to the fight
False Life - temp hp: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Kn. Nature: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
Kn. Planes: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (1) + 18 = 19

"Sahuagin!" Seldanna calls out to the group. "...or 'Sea-devils' as they are sometimes crudely called. They're not actually native to this Plane. Apart from their ability to go into a frenzy, they can speak and command sharks and possess blindsense and darkvision. They will be much more adept in these conditions than us!"

The witch, seeing that the Baron is some distance away, decides to help the rest of the group get there quickly and more swiftly deal with him once they are there.

Haste on all of the group (9 targets). +30' movement to all (plus the rest of the bonuses)


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

You are on a 3D battlefield Kelemur, so elevation can be a factor. You and the enemy sahuagin forces begin at a similar elevation.

You cannot "sink" on the Plane of Water.

Nobody asked about it during the briefing, but you might know something about how the Plane of Water works.

knowledge (planes) DC15:
The Elemental Plane of Water has the following traits:

Subjective Directional Gravity: any sentient creature can decide for itself what direction gravity works in. This needs a significant effort of will (DC 16 WIS check, free action but only 1 attempt per round). In the Plane of Water, "falling" is impeded by all the water, but this manner of movement may be risky because you'll keep falling until you change your subjective gravity again or you hit something. Swimming is typically easier.

Water-Dominant: This plane is mostly liquid. Visitors who can’t breathe water or reach a pocket of air likely drown. Creatures of the fire subtype are extremely uncomfortable on water-dominant planes. Those made of fire take 1d10 points of damage each round.

Time: normal (ie same as prime material plane).

Realm: immeasurable

Structural: lasting

Essence: water-dominant

Alignment: mildly neutral-aligned

Magic: enhanced (spells with the Water descriptor are cast at +2 Caster Level) or impeded (spells with the Fire descriptor require a DC20+spell level Spellcraft check, or they fail).


Feast of Ravenmoor | Dead Man's Debt

Seldanna Hastes the party; Urshala swims forward, flourishing her rapier, and calls out the foe! Kelumur prepares for battle by with a little transmutation magic.

"Vialesk sends us air-breathers my brothers!" taunts Baron Zemdar in Common. "Let us turn the waters red!"

The sahuagin warlord sends a crossbow bolt speeding towards Urshala:

Zemdar vs Urshala, 5th range increment: 1d20 + 13 - 8 ⇒ (5) + 13 - 8 = 10 missed.

A warning shot, perhaps! Zemdar begins reloading his heavy crossbow.

Combat round 1

Seldanna
Urshala
Kelumur touch of the sea
Baron Zemdar
Zeno
Otto Wildshape
Jino Ride the Waves, Greater Magic Fang
Sahuagin Scouts
Lonan
GM stuff
Kramac
Rhon GMF

Active effects: Haste (9r)

The bold may act!

pets and initiative:
I've put the animal companions and familiar on their own initiative counts mainly because their initiative mods are quite different than their masters'. An animal companion will Delay until its master acts in the first round of combat, unless you give it a default order such as Defend. If an animal companion has a default order it will do that, until you change it, but this may mean it doesn't do anything till the second round if its default order doesn't trigger. Familiars are intelligent enough to act normally.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc M Half-Orc Brawler 2, Inquisitor 5, Fighter 2|Normal AC: 31 Current AC: 31 T 13 FF 29 | HP 84/84 | F +19 R +13 W +13 | CMD 23 | Init +4 | Perc +14 (+4 On Jino) | Spells: Level 1 5/5 Level 2 4/4 | Bane 6/6 | Animal Focus 6/6

GM, I currently have a Lance equipped, which has reach. If I charge someone with the Lance equipped, can I make my attack at the appropriate location, then continue to adjacent so Jino can make his attack? The charge rules, I believe, say you must charge to the nearest square possible, but I think this is unclear when the mount and the rider have different threat ranges.

1 to 50 of 374 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM supervillan's Gameday VII 8-20 Torrent's Last Will All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.