hogarth's Shackled City game (Inactive)

Game Master hogarth



Hi folks,

I'm thinking of starting up a play-by-post game based loosely on the Shackled City adventure path using the PFRPG Beta rules. It would take place in the country of Sargava in Golarion.

There are a few "quirks" involved, though:

  • I want to use the Recharge Magic variant (link) from Unearthed Arcana. For those that aren't familiar with it, it means that spellcasters can cast their spells as often as they like, but they must wait a certain amount of time between spells (several rounds or minutes or hours, depending on the spell). Also, I will treat the cleric's Channel Energy ability as a spell with a 1d6+1 round recharge time (e.g. like a general spell of the cleric's highest level). Cantrips will still be usable at will, however, and likewise for domain/school abilities.
  • I have a small list of house rules (e.g. Hand of the Apprentice/Acolyte does not add the user's Int/Wis bonus to damage) that I'll post before the game starts.
  • My general philosophy is to have a small number of very tough encounters for each adventure instead of a large number of weak encounters (which I find tend to drag down an on-line game). So if you make a fragile character, dying is certainly a possibility.

I'm sure I'll think of more things, but that's probably enough for now. Characters will start at level 2 with a 25 point buy and starting wealth will be 100 gp + 1000 gp OR any +1 weapon (regular or silver, within reason) OR any +1 armor (within reason).

NOTE: I'm looking for 5 players, but this will NOT be first come, first served. I will accept applications until June 10 at 8:00 pm EST, at which time I will choose randomly from whomever responds.

Cheers,
hogarth


One of the best campaigns of all time. I'm definitely in if you'll have me. Prefer a fighter/ranger type. Even though I've run it before, I certainly won't let player knowledge ruin the game.


I don't mind folks who have played it before, as long as they don't ruin the plot for everyone else. Note that the plot will be substantially changed as well.


Well, call me interested in a Dwarf Rogue/Wizard. Maybe this game will last long enough to actually play him...

EDIT: This character, by the way. I'll just go Pathfinderize him and add a level of wizard, and he will be good to go.

Liberty's Edge

Do you want applications via email or for us just to post on here if we're interested?


Also, how are we doing stats? Rolling? Point Buy? How many points, then?

Liberty's Edge

I'd be interested in applying for the position of human cleric, if acceptable.


Nerak the Numb wrote:
Do you want applications via email or for us just to post on here if we're interested?

Just post here to show your interest.

The point buy is 25 (Pathfinder) points, as mentioned in the first post.

Sovereign Court

I would love a chance to try this out! The alternate rules sound fun!

I'm willing to play pretty much anything, as needed by the party. My favorite characters tend to be warrior mages of some sort or another.

Shadow Lodge

I would also like to try. I just started a post two days ago looking for a pbp game, as I've never played one before. I would love to try out the cleric.

Liberty's Edge

For perusal, see profile


Greetings,

It certainly seems that you have an interesting take on the Shackled City in preparation. If you don't mind, I would like to apply as an elven wizard or other spellcaster. Just out of curiosity, will you be allowing any of the "Complete" series of books? In particular, I find myself interested in the version of the wild mage from the "Complete Arcane".

Cheers,
Q.


Qunnessaa wrote:

Greetings,

It certainly seems that you have an interesting take on the Shackled City in preparation. If you don't mind, I would like to apply as an elven wizard or other spellcaster. Just out of curiosity, will you be allowing any of the "Complete" series of books? In particular, I find myself interested in the version of the wild mage from the "Complete Arcane".

Cheers,
Q.

I'm open to discussing alternate class features a la Unearthed Arcana. For instance, if you wanted to make up a Wild Magic specialist school, I'd entertain the notion.

But don't get ahead of yourself quite yet; first we need to pick the players.

Liberty's Edge

Color me interested then. :) Probably some sort of rogue.


Here is a character I made for a PBP that fizzled during the first encounters, I love to find a new story for him. He's a 5th level character but I don't have a problem lowering his levels or even starting over from scratch for stats and such if neccessary. With a small tweek to his background he can adjust to any adventure path (he was built for a homebrew)


Yeah, Nye, that was a shame. I may bring Garyn back if we both get in...I really wanted to play him more!


Here's the rogue I'd like to try as the game died out too quickly...

Scarab Sages

you full? since this is a TPK-heavy adventure more is better ;)


Xaaon of Xen'Drik wrote:
you full? since this is a TPK-heavy adventure more is better ;)

I haven't picked anyone yet; I'll pick the "winners" randomly next Wednesday.

I'm substantially rewriting it, so I get credit for any and all TPKs that occur. :-)

Scarab Sages

Ah, so are we competing with backgrounds or random?


Well, he said "randomly"...

Also, please don't make a rogue. As hilarious it would be, we really don't want a team of only rogues.


Davi The Eccentric wrote:

Well, he said "randomly"...

Also, please don't make a rogue. As hilarious it would be, we really don't want a team of only rogues.

Yes, "randomly" means "randomly" (using a uniform distribution, to be precise).

If the players opt to create an all-rogue team, that's up to them. But I won't pull any punches because of it, and it should also be noted that I hate traps in PbP games (and extended dungeon-crawling in general), so trapfinding rogues may find themselves underemployed.

Scarab Sages

Nah, I would prolly pull a ranger outta my hat this time...the new preview got me intrigued...


Other than equipment, I do believe I have finished updating my sheet.

Sovereign Court

hogarth wrote:


Yes, "randomly" means "randomly" (using a uniform distribution, to be precise).

We don't need to make a character before we know whether we are chosen, do we? I figured I'd wait until I knew whether or not I was chosen, and I'd wait to see what character types other player's hearts were set on if I was one of those chosen...

The Exchange

I'd be interested. Prefered class would be cleric unless that spots filled already, otherwise any would do.


Jess Door wrote:


We don't need to make a character before we know whether we are chosen, do we? I figured I'd wait until I knew whether or not I was chosen, and I'd wait to see what character types other player's hearts were set on if I was one of those chosen...

Sounds like a good plan to me. :-)


Same here. Mine will be a human ranger, if I'm in. It will need some tweaking but I won't mess with it until I know I get to run with him.

Dark Archive

Hogarth, a couple of my other PbPs have died away, so I'll throw my hat into the ring for this one. No character idea yet; I'll wait to see if I get in and what everyone else has.


Bryan wrote:
Hogarth, a couple of my other PbPs have died away, so I'll throw my hat into the ring for this one. No character idea yet; I'll wait to see if I get in and what everyone else has.

DON'T BRING YOUR GAME-KILLING BAD LUCK HERE!!!!

;-)


hogarth wrote:


I'm open to discussing alternate class features a la Unearthed Arcana. For instance, if you wanted to make up a Wild Magic specialist school, I'd entertain the notion.

But don't get ahead of yourself quite yet; first we need to pick the players.

hogarth,

I'm sorry if my post came across as pushily overeager, since that certainly wasn't my intention. I just noticed that some of the other posters had put forward classes they were interested in, and I was trying to present something that wouldn't look like a bid for any sort of primary party arcane caster, since I thought there might be worries about class duplication that could put others off even with the random selection. Since play styles vary, I also thought that if I provoked a response like "Why on earth would you ever want to do that?" I would know that I might not be the best fit for your game. Again, I didn't mean to appear demanding or overconfident; I'm relatively new here, and still working with the nuances of context on these messageboards, as this bloated apology for my misleadingly brief previous post probably shows.

P.S.: To the other posters on this thread as well, I'm sorry if I seemed presumptuous. Here's hoping that those who get chosen next week have fun!

Q.


Qunnessaa wrote:
hogarth wrote:


I'm open to discussing alternate class features a la Unearthed Arcana. For instance, if you wanted to make up a Wild Magic specialist school, I'd entertain the notion.

But don't get ahead of yourself quite yet; first we need to pick the players.

hogarth,

I'm sorry if my post came across as pushily overeager, since that certainly wasn't my intention.

It didn't come across that way at all, so don't worry about it! I was just trying to say that:

(a) If someone wants to play something unusual, I'm willing to take that into consideration, although I think it's more fun to tinker with an existing class than just pick prestige class X from splatbook Y.

(b) It's still a bit early to get too specific about character creation yet. For the moment, anything in the PFRPG Beta is allowed, although I have some house rules (e.g. you can't control a creature that you call using Gate, you can't force creatures affected by Planar Binding or Charm Monster to obey ridiculous requests with a simple Charisma check, etc.). Anything else is negotiable.


Hello, I want to throw my hat into the ring as well. I have started this campaign a few times with it always fizzling very, very, very early in the game. Good luck to everyone and Congrats to the future picks of this campaign.


Hmm. I wanted to be a player in a PF game instead of a GM, for once.Check my profile for the sheet. If there's any problem with it, tell me. I'm not sure if I forgot something.

Dark Archive

hogarth wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Hogarth, a couple of my other PbPs have died away, so I'll throw my hat into the ring for this one. No character idea yet; I'll wait to see if I get in and what everyone else has.

DON'T BRING YOUR GAME-KILLING BAD LUCK HERE!!!!

;-)

Hey, I didn't kill Seeker's STAP, at least! :-D


OK, it looks like we have enough applications so I'll pick the winners (and the waiting list) tonight.

Thanks for everyone who applied!


Sweet! Good luck to everyone!

Sovereign Court

ah! the Suspense!


Hoping I am in under the deadline....I would love to play this game....
(fingers crossed)

Thanks!
Ed

www.swordandpaper.com


Here are the players (randomly selected courtesy of http://www.tufts.edu/~gdallal/random_permutation.htm):

Qunnessaa 1
Nerak 2
dathom 3
Darian 4
Sully 5

==========
Panda40 6
Kevin-Eric 7
Xaaon 8
Jess 9
Davi 10
Beckett 11
Tilquinith 12
Bryan 13
MythrilDragon 14

Players 6-14 are on the waiting list for now. The discussion thread is up here:
hogarthsShackledCityDiscussionThread

Thanks to everyone for the interest!


Aww, I lost. Will Rurik never get to be in a game that actual lasts!

Dark Archive

Darn! And almost last on the alternate list. Oh well, everyone enjoy the game!


Davi The Eccentric wrote:
Aww, I lost. Will Rurik never get to be in a game that actual lasts!

Who said this game will last?

Bryan wrote:
Darn! And almost last on the alternate list. Oh well, everyone enjoy the game!

Don't worry -- everyone will probably drop out in a matter of days. Stranger things have happened...


hogarth wrote:
Davi The Eccentric wrote:
Aww, I lost. Will Rurik never get to be in a game that actual lasts!
Who said this game will last?

Well, I figure if he's in a couple dozen games that only last a week, it's going to be like he was in one decent campaign.


Very cool - I'm the first on the waiting list!

(Of course I can't wish for someone to have to drop out - bad karma and all that. So I'll just be happy that I got this close and whatever happens happens.)

Thanks for the opportunity to play in a great campaign.

Ed

www.swordandpaper.com


Panda40 wrote:

Very cool - I'm the first on the waiting list!

(Of course I can't wish for someone to have to drop out - bad karma and all that. So I'll just be happy that I got this close and whatever happens happens.)

Thanks for the opportunity to play in a great campaign.

Ed

www.swordandpaper.com

OK, Nerak has dropped out. Panda40, you may make a character!


I'm sorry that Nerak had to drop out - but thrilled to get in.

Thanks!
Ed

www.swordandpaper.com

Dark Archive

Davi The Eccentric wrote:
Aww, I lost. Will Rurik never get to be in a game that actual lasts!

Rurik? From Chaosium's Runequest?


joela wrote:
Davi The Eccentric wrote:
Aww, I lost. Will Rurik never get to be in a game that actual lasts!
Rurik? From Chaosium's Runequest?

No, from the generic list of Dwarf names in the front of th PHB.

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / Recruiting for Shackled City PbP (mostly PFRPG Beta) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.