The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


4,801 to 4,850 of 10,595 << first < prev | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | next > last >>

M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Concern etched Ryan's face as he listens to Marigold's story, thinking back to see if he can remember anything.

kn:History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
kn:Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 +2 if directly related to church

If Either Of Those Are Good For SOMETHING Consider Ryan to have told it.
I'll be 7-8pm EST tonight before I can update more


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Marigold remembers she had already identified Mharah. Nothing about an angel named Haloen comes to the mind of her or others.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"Oh, w-wait...I've h-heard of Mharah before," Marigold frowns. "M-must still have c-cobwebs in my b-brain. Um, anyway...sh-she was a lesser d-demon Lord, the Lady of Sh-Shame. B-but she's d-dead, as f-far as I know..."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"Perhaps it was a demon's memory from the past?"


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"I wonder if that demon that fell into the rift.... well, the rift was.... here." muses JJ.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim raises an eyebrow as he sips from his flask then offers Marigold a snifter;

"Purely medicinal. Take a drop Lil' Miss..."

He mulls the words of the others;

"Huh. Lady o' Shame eh? Surprise she ain't hauntin' Surabar's dreams at night!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Wait...what... you can't.."

JJ looks worried.

"You're just trying to pull my leg... you can't really see my dreams."
He says without a great deal of conviction.

"Can you?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim chuckles, clapping JJ's shoulder;

"Hell's Teeth lad, course I can't... I have a number o' aptitudes at my disposal but dream watchin' ain't one o' them! Har!"

As JJ's protestations sink in, his brow does furrow;

"You ain't really seen the same demon in yer dreams have ye Surabar? Jes' yankin' my beard right?"


3 people marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Shaking his head at the good-natured back and forth between Maxim and JJ, Ryan is more concerned for Marigold at the moment. "MG, can I get you something to help you sleep, itis still early in the morning, we should try to get what rest is still available to us. The coming day s will be trying enough. Besides, when we meet back JJ and MAxim can compare and see if Maxim really can read JJ's dreams" He concludes with a wink and a smile.

Ryan will get Marigold anything she ask that is available, don't think the dwarves have catered the Fairy Mead down here. Then offer to stay in the room, while she sleeps. Indicating the chair against the wall.

"Gentlemen this talk of demons and dreams can hold til breakfast, oh and Maxim, please bring more than your longjohns."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim suppresses a wry chuckle at the prospect of JJ's potential reaction.

His smile fades to a frown at Ryan's aspersion on his attire;

"My humblest apologies Taskerhill. Was master-workin' yer arbalest afore bed! Which now we speak o' it, I'll bring ye when I'm better dressed for yer sensibilities!"

The gun-mage theatrically brushes down his worn underwear, and recovers his flask.

"At breakfast then. Lil' Miss you take care, an' sweet dreams Surabar..."


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"I dream of demons sometimes. And flying. Over Cauldron. But I've never dreamed of being a demon."

He shakes his head.

"Not ever in my worse nightmare."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)
Maxim wrote:
I'll bring ye when I'm better dressed for yer sensibilities!"

<laughing> Never you worry about my sensibilities, I'm just worried in the thread bare state they are the barn door is going to fail, and your flock fall out. Oh the stories, err jest, the bards will have with that. Watch the Watchers of Cauldron as they give a show!"


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

Marigold takes a wary sniff of the flask offered by Maxim and then takes a small sip. Almost immediately she begins coughing and spluttering, partially due to the flask's contents and partially due to Ryan's worries about barn doors failing.

"H-haha!" *cough* "Th-that's s-some p-powerful-" *wheeze* "stuff!" she gasps as she passes the flask back to its rightful owner. "Thanks M-Maxim; n-now I know to stick to less p-potent drink!"

Although the dream still worries her, the antics of her companions have already done wonders to calm her thoughts and she offers a grateful smile. "I...I think I'll b-be okay, at least for n-now. We can t-talk more about it t-tomorrow after we've gotten some m-more sleep. N-not to m-mention now I'm curious if M-Maxim can read d-dreams..." she chuckles.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"Tomorrow it is, then!"

"I'm glad Maxim can't read dreams! That could spoil a few hilarious pranks in future!


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

After the convulsed dreams some of you return to sleep while others decide to start preparatives.

The morning arrives with plenty of movement in the Malachite Fortress. The dwarves know about your quest and a large group of them gathers around you as you prepare in the main entrance. "Are you ready to go?" requests one of the Torag's clerics, "Is there anything missing?" asks a maid.

Kikinnin's mother reaches the group as well. Mirna squeezes his boy "I am proud of you Kikinnin. Your father would be too. Just... take care yourself, I would be not able to bear another loss"

Gralthar Nightshield is there too. She approaches Maxim "This quest you are taking... you are brave Maxim" you can see a bracelet Maxim knows well on his right arm "Farewll Maxim. Take care"

"If there is nothing else to add, the way is there" one of the Malachite soldiers points towards the doors that dive into the darkness of the Darklands deepness. Spike calmly mounts guard in that point.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ awakes, somewhat weary from an interrupted nights sleep. The darkness and stone overhead are a surprise at first, but he quickly remembers where they are, and what they are setting off to do.

With a yawn he rolls out of the hard dwarven bed and goes looking for his friends. And breakfast. Breakfast is very important for a growing lad.

"Morning all!"


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

"Morning JJ" Ryan replies somewhat sleepily, for all his talk of going back to sleep, the time had not been far from his morning studies.

"Sleep well? Any dreams for Maxim to explain to us" Ryan ask tossing their scout a roll from the basket in front of him.

After his studies, Ryan had made his way to the quartermaster, aquiring bolts with cold iron tips for their trip. They would work on the normal as well as the demon tainted. Marigold's dream bothered him more than he expected; not for who she was in it but the timing of when it came. Right before their entrance into the Darklands.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"M-morning everyone," Marigold yawns as she makes her way out to meet the others. "Um, I'm s-sorry again about waking everyone up last n-night...I hope you were able to g-get back to s-sleep?" she asks, looking a little anxious.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"No trouble" lies JJ, keen for Marigold to be feeling 100%.

"I don't think I've had a dwarven breakfast before. This should be... interesting."

Hopefully not fried rocks with a side order of mud to wash it down. Though given some of the stuff that Maxim and Kikinnin drink, mud can't taste much worse.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

@ Breakfast

Maxim smiles and nods as he seats himself at the table.

"Mornin' all. Hope you had yourself a better sleep Lil' Miss."

Eyeing the spread he licks his lips, then casts a jaundiced eye at JJ's comment;

"Ain't nothing untoward on that plate Surabar! Some grits, little sausage, deep mushrooms an' cheese."

As he eyes the dishes, the gun-mage grins;

"An' my favourite here: forge smoked cave-kippers!"

@The Leaving

Geared up and readied, Maxim nods to Gralthar;

"You too Gral. You too."

The gun-mage waits for the others, and the inevitable speech from JJ before making tracks.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"I guess we won't be knowing if it's morning or night for a while after this."
"Still, should be interesting. As well as dangerous."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Marigold wrote:
"Oh, w-wait...I've h-heard of Mharah before. M-must still have c-cobwebs in my b-brain. Um, anyway...sh-she was a lesser d-demon Lord, the Lady of Sh-Shame. B-but she's d-dead, as f-far as I know..."

Kikinnin tilts his head with a light frown, but doesn't say anything. He doesn't fancy himself a dream-reader, and would rather wait and see when the deeper truths begin to surface, through time and understanding.

The black-beard listens to the JJ-joshing, allowing himself to leave thoughts of demon-dream and Marigold alone for the time-being, deciding on a little time with his mother before he heads off again. For that, he absents himself for the rest of morning's breakfast to sit a spell, and update his Mor on several of the recent goings-on.

Kikinnin is rested and ready to depart, as soon as the others indicate their preparations have been done.

If the GM allows, will retcon magicking of his full plate, at the same time as his axe.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The Malachite dwarves help you with good rations while others help you enchant your weapons.

Soon after the morning breaks you start walking into the deepness of the earth beyond Malachite Fortress. You can feel a bit of what those dwarves following Zenith Splintershield might have felt when they started their crusade.

The tunnels are dark and twist to one side then the other, getting broad at some points up to the 20 feet, just to become thinner and force you to march as a single person column.

The considerable lack of side caverns and your map sketch helps you enormously to advance without getting lost for the moment.

As you follow your way during hours the air seems to become more and more stale and difficult to breath. The temperature slowly rises.
Fort DC 15 to avoid fatigue due to the extreme air conditions

After a couple of hours you do find the corpse of a dead trogolodyte in advance state of decomposition. His viscera has been feasted. A wooden club and a rudimentary torch made with detritus and beasts fat is all possessions the creature seemed to have.

Some hours later the tunnel has a sudden change in slope that ends into a cliff. You do require your best spelunking tools and skills, but after some hard work you do all succeed to go through the dangerous jump.

Your light spells and lamps give you enough light to walk surefooted, while Kikinnin and Maxim scout ahead. It is on one of their scouting efforts they do report walking sounds ahead.

After a patient ambush you do find out a couple of bugears you do depose with ease. Among their belongings you find out a bag with red gems valued 100 gp, and a strip of paper written in Undercommon.

Undercommon:

The strip of paper seems some kind of receipt for slave selling valued 100 gp.

After this event you call your day and look for a save dead end where to camp for a good rest. Your first day in the Darklands has been tough but served good to adapt yourself to the new environ.

Please, include Survival checks to see your safety against next day hazards as well as orientation (as long as you follow the map the DC should be 5). Also, you get a +1 for each +5 in K. dungeonering you might have


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Earlier at breakfast

Ryan reaches down beside the table and set a small bundle on the table next to Marigold
"May these ease your dreams MG, while I was speaking with the quartermaster this morning I picked these up. Should your dreams begin to walk, these will send them back to dream land." - when she opens the bundle 20 cold iron bolts greet her.

At the gate

Ryan says little at the gate, content to wait as the others say their goodbyes. Thanking the Malachites for the rations as they leave, Ryan clasp the cleric of Torag by his arm. "Torag's blessings on you watch, and Abadar's grace as we walk, May we meet again soon."

Day 2
Following a copy of the map, Ryan looks for the landmarks. as well as hazards that were noted or not.

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Fortitude, endurance: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 4 = 31
survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 <- extra if tracks, humans or outsiders are involved.

JJ trots along, not really feeling the heat that perhaps affects the others a bit more. Outside Cauldron he somehow feels free. Free of obligations and expectations, except to the friends he has gathered around.

And how unworthy is that thought? The Orphenage that brought you up, and you like being free of returning the favor? The church that taught your right from wrong, or at least tried? Your only relative, who is still missing and possibly tangled up with another dwarven venture.

As he sits down in the evening his mood sours a little. Maybe it is just the lack of open sky. It isn't the heat or the tight tunnels that oppresses the young man so much as his own misgivings about himself.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"Th-thank you Ryan," Marigold responds as she tucks the bolts away with the rest of her ammunition. "I h-hope it won't c-come to that, b-but it's good to have that extra r-reassurance! And it r-reminds me of s-something I need to go p-purchase before we g-go."

Once breakfast is done, Marigold quickly hurries out to make the last preparation that she could think of - purchasing a longspear, finely crafted out of cold iron. Although it wasn't enchanted, she'd gained enough experience to know that there were still plenty of beasts and other creatures that would be pained by the sting of such a weapon. With her purchase made, she meets back up with her companions and gathers the rest of her gear.

"I'm r-ready to go," she announces, putting on a brave face. Such a thing had gotten easier to do over time, but this was a special case - ordinarily the Darklands were no place for someone like herself.
______

Fort (DC 15): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

During the first day of their expedition Marigold marches along with the others and although she finds the slowly-rising temperature and stale air unpleasant, they thankfully don't impede her as they travel.

Guess I *really* gotten stronger...old me couldn't have stood this for long.

Survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

However she has to admit that if it weren't for the map and the skills of her friends, she'd have become hopelessly lost by the time they'd made it 500 feet outside of Malachite. She'd never had a great sense of direction in the first place, but with no stars or heavenly bodies to guide her and no darkvision, she had no clue of where they were headed.
______

Marigold will buy a Masterwork Cold Iron Longspear; cash deducted and both it and the bolts Ryan gave her are added to her inventory!


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Juraan takes in the sights, as such, before setting out with the others.
He's about as ready as he can be with the gear he has.

Fortitude (DC 15): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
… although the air is stale, Juraan copes well enough the first day's trek.

"I can't read this note (in Undercommon) that the bugbears had."
"Shame; it could have been useful, I suppose."

survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
"Good thing I took some training withe guards not too long ago."
"Survival skills are always handy on an expedition like this one."


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

[Ooc]Oops missed the Fort check when reading above.
Fortitude-Day 1(DC15): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Fortitude-Day 2(DC15): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

The first day our Ryan is buoyed up by the excitement of the trip, the 2nd though begins to take it'slow toll on him....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Fortitude Save DC 15: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28
Survival, Untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Kikinnin bounds along, a fish in a familiar stream, until he starts to slow his pace to guard against the encroaching darkness and changing temperature. At day's end of the march, he looks over the others, and brings Abadar's blessing to remove the fatigue that hangs on weary frames. He's not interested in slowing the pace, for the longer they remain in the Darklands, the likelier they bleed for their troubles.

Juraan wrote:
"I can't read this note that the bugbears had. Shame; it could have been useful, I suppose."

"I thought that was your purpose, Professor. Strange languages, magical messages, isn't that your strength?" Not waiting for the answer, he turns to Marigold.

"Since you slip into strange tongues, do you have the means of translating the slip of paper? Might be something we want to know."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

DC15 Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

In the thinning air, Maxim tobacco infused lungs struggle to get a breath and the merchant toils...

"Gods be darned... I'm strugglin'. Remind me to lay off the smokes!"

Tired and stifled, the gun-mage struggles to focus on anything other than one foot in front of the next.

Survival (Untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

When the group stop to discuss the note recovered from the buchveer, Maxim enjoys the respite.

As talk turns to deciphering the tongue, the wizard nods toward a scroll at his belt;

"I've a scroll that allows discernin' of tongues unfamiliar. One shot tho', want me to use it then let me know..."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks from Marigold to Maxim. "One shot? I don't understand your scrolls, bror. Why can't you use it again, like you do the ones in those books you study? You rip out a page, and it's only good for one reading? That makes no sense."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Tired and cantankerous, Maxim shoots the holy warrior a jaundiced look;

"Really? Lectures on the nature o' powers an' such bror? So if yer almighty gods love their blessed faithful so much how comes they turn yer gifts off like a tap..? That makes no sense tae me..."

The dwur mage draws the scroll and shrugs;

"Ain't sayin' ye ain't got a point ya lunk. Jes' somethings are just the way o' it I reckon. Spells an' gods an' everything' in-betwixt. Hell's Teeth! No o' it makes sense!"

With a wry smile he brings the incantation alive and triggers the scroll.

Presume Maxim can share the knowledge of the spoiler GMR?


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

With a few movements Maxim brings the magic of the scroll into life. All of a sudden the note becomes clear for him. The blond dwarf shares with the party the strip of paper is a receipt for slavery trading for 100 gp.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Slavery seems to be the big trade down here. Remember they had Terem and the others they wanted as slaves too..." muses JJ.

"And that slaver got away."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"It means we're on the right track, I reckon."
"The Kuo-Toa make a living off slavery, as I recall."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Maxim wrote:
"Really? Lectures on the nature o' powers an' such bror? So if yer almighty gods love their blessed faithful so much how comes they turn yer gifts off like a tap..? That makes no sense tae me... Ain't sayin' ye ain't got a point ya lunk. Jes' somethings are just the way o' it I reckon. Spells an' gods an' everything' in-betwixt. Hell's Teeth! No o' it makes sense!"

Kikinnin snorts, as he listens to the blond-beard rebut. "I'm not saying that power should be on tap, to refill our mugs when we choose, but you can pull your magicks from your book, repeatedly, can't ya? Just stick the scroll into the book, and maybe the book'll accept the page as one of its own, and you can talk tongues whenever you get a chance." The black-beard motions the opening and closing of a book, figuring it's got to be that simple.

As Maxim reveals the meaning of the uncommon words, Kikinnin rubs the back of his neck, feeling a tightening from muscle and memory of the slaver times. "Oh, so more slavers. They figure wrong if they think they can hide long in the Darklands for their dark deeds. Abadar's coming their way." Kikinnin looks to Ryan, and nods.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

As the discussion about Maxim's spell goes back and forth.

"Such is they way of gods and magic, things can be more fleeting than we like. I'll start preparing a version of it daily, Granted it will only be good for a little less than an hour, so if we have more small items perhaps we should consolidate them before it casting. If we need to speak with someone then I'll cast when it is needed."

Kikinnin wrote:
"Oh, so more slavers. They figure wrong if they think they can hide long in the Darklands for their dark deeds. Abadar's coming their way."

Nodding Ryan replies "Aye he is." fingering the top his mace.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

These guys know so much about magic. And here is me wanting to be a wizard, and all I do is swing swords about.

JJ listens intently to the conversation, but doesn't really understand much of what is said.

"So some magic can be used by both wizards and priests? " he eventually concludes, surprised by the revelation.

"I mean I know you can both do simple things like detecting the presence of magic and making lights, but I didn't realise there was more in common."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"And m-my magic is s-something else, m-more like J-Juraan's...I d-don't study a b-book and I d-don't really p-pray to any g-gods, I j-just wake up each d-day and it f-feels like I'm...I'm..." Marigold frowns, trying to think of a good analogy. "L-like one of those little c-clockwork things that the gnomes m-make. Each d-day I'm w-wound up by s-something or s-someone and I r-run until I r-run out of p-power or I s-stop for the d-day and sleep. Then the next d-day after s-sleeping I've b-been wound up again."

She shrugs her shoulders. "It's n-nice to not have to c-carry big heavy b-books around b-but s-sometimes I wish I could p-pick what m-magics to use each d-day like you two c-can," she nods at Maxim and Ryan.
______

Totally a lie, I prefer spontaneous casting by far! But Marigold herself sometimes feels otherwise :)


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim continues to cast a baleful gaze at Kikinnin as the black beard simplifies wizardly magic to story telling.

As the discussion widens his frown eases;

"Way I see it Lil' Miss... Some folks are gifted... like you an' the Professor like - for weal or for woe. Some o' us are learned... delvin' into the books an' writings like miners o' knowledge... power through hard graft."

The gun-mage smiles wryly before continuing;

"An there are some that are believers... wringing their prayers an' sins out to the greatest merchants o' them all - the gods. Sometimes those fickle gods- well they listen an' give them folks a miracle. That miracle makes more believers, who make more offerings and get more power. Kikinnin and Taskerhill are just regular customers who've become hired help that's all."

Maxim looks weary;

"When we making camp? I'm bushed..."


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"I can't learn and change spells so easily as Ryan or Maxim."
"But once I do learn a spell, like Marigold, it's in my blood."
"Although magic does wear out and require sleep, for all of us."
"I'm also more predisposed to damaging earth elemental magic than any other."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"H-huh...I w-wonder why?" Marigold responds to Juraan's last statement, as she stifles a yawn. "Whoo...I'm with M-Maxim, I think I'm r-ready for a little r-rest," she admits.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"A rest sounds good. Although we're deep enough it's hard to tell when to sleep or not."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Marigold wrote:
"And m-my magic is s-something else, m-more like J-Juraan's...I d-don't study a b-book and I d-don't really p-pray to any g-gods, I j-just wake up each d-day and it f-feels like I'm...I'm... L-like one of those little c-clockwork things that the gnomes m-make. Each d-day I'm w-wound up by s-something or s-someone and I r-run until I r-run out of p-power or I s-stop for the d-day and sleep. Then the next d-day after s-sleeping I've b-been wound up again."

Kikinnin chuckles, and nods. "As small as you are, that picture you paint makes a more of a sense to me than this one's ramblings." The black-beard flicks a thumb at the blond.

Maxim wrote:
"An there are some that are believers... wringing their prayers an' sins out to the greatest merchants o' them all - the gods. Sometimes those fickle gods- well they listen an' give them folks a miracle. That miracle makes more believers, who make more offerings and get more power. Kikinnin and Taskerhill are just regular customers who've become hired help that's all."

Kikinnin rolls his eyes, though when they're done rolling, he still has enough energy at the end of the day to smile for the trouble. "The scroll did its job in more than one way, looks like. Got tongues wagging in the strange language, then kept the tongues wagging for its nature." He nods to himself, before finding a decent place to sit down. "I'll take first watch with someone. Get to snoring, bror. You need your beauty rest, now more than ever."

Figure we should set up watches...


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The night, or better, the rest time, passes slowly but quite. You do wake up the next day fully refreshed and prepare some breakfast food while packing back your belongings.

The map signals you will have to go through at least different water bodies today.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Well... the sooner we start the sooner we get there" notes JJ.

Looking at the map he sees the bodies of water. "I hope they have some boats. Otherwise Marigold will be giving us all swimming lessons."

He directs a cheeky grin at his little sister and her efforts at the festival.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (3/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 7/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 7/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 0/3

"M-Might be b-better off t-teaching everyone to b-breathe underwater, the w-way we're equipped," Marigold snorts in reply as she pointedly looks at the heavier armor that three of the six of them wear. "Let's hope it's sh-shallow or that we c-can find a b-boat or something to act as one!"


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

"And without nasty surprises either!"


Male HP 104/112; LoH 1/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

A grave look crosses JJs face.

"What if there are more of that creature that tried to control our minds..."

He looks at the map with concern.

"It came from down here didn't it?"


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)
MG wrote:


"M-Might be b-better off t-teaching everyone to b-breathe underwater, the w-way we're equipped," Marigold snorts in reply as she pointedly looks at the heavier armor that three of the six of them wear. "Let's hope it's sh-shallow or that we c-can find a b-boat or something to act as one!"

"I can help with that, well at least for about an hour and a half each time, if everyone is included. Granted no one get cursed! Or diseased. I had to give that up this morning for water breathing. if you get cursed or diseased then you will just have to remain a toad with a bad croak until tomorrow."he says smiling, looking up from his prayers "I also prepared a way to create water when we need it, don't know that we need to drink the water here; and purification for our foodstuffs, and anything else here we need to eat."

4,801 to 4,850 of 10,595 << first < prev | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.