The Ironfang Invasion: Fangs of War

Game Master vayelan

A tale of desperate survival set against the invasion of a ruthless hobgoblin army — the Ironfang Legion! As the Ironfang Legion begins carving out an empire of monsters, the heroes must flee their hometown of Phaendar as it burns, saving any lives they can.

Resources:
Upper Caves Map
Lower Caves Map
Southern Chernasardo Map

Fort Nunder Map

Party Treasury
Militia Worksheet


3,151 to 3,191 of 3,191 << first < prev | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | next > last >>

Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Seeing the diminished damage the others' attacks are doing (and since the hallway is 10' wide), Undari conjures a ball of flame into his hand (Produce Flame) and moves close to the creature, wielding the flame as a weapon against the golem's grease-soaked legs.

Produce Flame Melee Touch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Fire Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

"Oh geez, oh geez," Gaius mutters nervously to the floor as his brain pulls all kinds of depressing information to the forefront of his mind about their foe.

Then it crashes to the ground. Glancing up, he sees grease-soaked legs as the most likely culprit. That's right...

"I'M A WIZARD!" he shouts triumphantly as he jumps back to his feet. "Fire, fire and more fire! Adamantine if you've got it! Otherwise, easy on the magic!" he says confidently. Just in case, he pulls the wand of blackened wood out.
________
If I get questions, special attacks please! Move to stand, move to draw wand of burning hands.


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

AoO against Golem: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Glaive damage: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

"Do I look like I can afford adamantine!?" shouts Esperanza, swinging her glaive down onto the rising golem. Whirling, she pulls the weapon clear of Thorek, but the movement throws her follow-up attack off balance.

Glaive attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Glaive damage: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

AoO: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Hacking another small gash into the golem, Thorek scowls as his and Esperanza's blows barely seem to harm the creature. "You want fire, Gaius? Angradd give me FIRE!" At the invocation's final word, the scimatar is wreathed in shimmering golden flames.

Blessng of Fire as a Standard Action


F Human Mesmerist 5 HP 43/43 Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will: +4/+6 AC:18 Init: 5 Staring At: Spells 5/5 1st 3/3 2nd Tricks 4/4 Used Status:

Lily stares awkwardly at the situation realizing she can't do much besides fire another arrow.

attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
dmg: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


The wooden guardian weathers another storm of attacks that chip away at its body in splinters and slivers, but it is Undari's magical flames that begins to crack and blacken the construct's enchanted body. Your foe shows serious damage now, perhaps being on the verge of defeat.

However, back on its feet, the guardian manages at least one more barrage of slams from its blunt limbs - and it focuses the ire of its first strike upon Undari, the wielder of the flames.

Bow Guardian Slam vs Undari: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Bow Guardian Slam vs Thorek: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Undari and Thorek each take 12 damage.
The party is up, and I think you can finish this golem this round.


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Slammed heavily by the wooden branches, Undari's Resinous Skin spell lessens the damage somewhat (DR 5/piercing), but the force of the blow still staggers him. Reaching out for the other grease-soaked leg, he tries to burn the construct enough that it can no longer attack them.

Melee Touch Produce Flame: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Produce Flame Fire Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

Gritting his teeth against a blow to his shoulder, Thorek retaliates with another slash from his blazing scimitar.

Pwr Atk: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 8 + (5) = 18


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Esperanza brings her glaive around and over Thorek's head for another strike at the golem.

Glaive attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
Glaive damage: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Another fiery storm of attacks from Undari and Thorek leaves the bow guardian barely holding together, and a final glaive stroke from Esperanza cracks the last of the magic holding the construct together. Charred, broken limbs and a cracked head tumble to the floor, leaving your path ahead once again clear.


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Undari briefly puts aside his shield so he can keep the flame in his other hand safely while fishing out some healing salve. ”Here, put this quickly on your wounds—it should hold you until we have more time for a proper bandaging,” he says to Thorek and Esperanza, taking one for himself as well.

Thorek: Cure Light Wounds Poultice: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Esperanza: Cure Light Wounds Poultice: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Undari: Cure Light Wounds Poultice: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

He then picks up his shield again, ready to continue.


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

'Well that's a damn shame," Thorek laments, nudging the fallen golem with a boot to make sure it doesn't respond. "Would have been nice to deploy this thing against the Ironfangs."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Esperanza grabs the remaining shaft of the arrow sticking out of her shoulder, takes a few quick breaths, then pulls. With her vision blurred from the pain, she clumsily applies the poultice and sighs in relief as the magic takes effect. "Thank you," she says to Undari with a nod, before joining Thorek by the destroyed golem.

Scowling, she pokes at it with her glaive. "What a waste. Arrow traps and magic guardians sitting behind a hidden door, while the people they could have protected are all dead outside."


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

It worked! We did it!

Gaius smugly searches for any remaining magic on the construct before waiting for his allies to decide to proceed further down the hallway.
________
Spellcraft?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

”Let’s keep moving,” says Undari, ”This is my next to last fire spell and it will only last a few more minutes.”

Perception into the hallway ahead: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

"Any ideas what that key unlocks?" Thorek nods his head towards the key in Gaius' hands, but moves off down the hall.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Gaius finds that the threads of magic woven through the destroyed construct are fading rapidly. The bow the guardian wielded is actually part of its arm, making it impossible to appropriate for reuse. The toll of battle, waged with flame and steel, has spared very little of the rare wood from which the guardian was shaped.

This last curve in the hallway passes an oddly shaped alcove containing only a dais and some long-neglected wood-working tools. It seems likely this is the dusty recess from which the bow guardian marched once it sensed your intrusion. No new traps or surprises are identified along this path.

At the end of the hall, the passage ends to the east at a wall-to-wall iron door with no handle or hinges. The stone wall to the north of the door is inset with a pair of large keyholes. Thorek immediately deduces that the recovered bronze key fits inside one of them, while its partner must wait elsewhere.

Behind you stretches a long, narrow passage - half the width of the ten-foot wide halls you've walked so far.
The floor is covered in a thick lair of dust, apparently being untraveled for quite some time.


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Undari follows along, using the ball of flame in his hand for light.

"Perhaps there is a matching key in the branching passageway we bypassed," he suggests.


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

"Looks like I'll get to see that 'whirlwind of blows' after all!" Thorek beams, looking genuinely pleased at the prospect of facing down another trap.

"That arrow trap was a fine piece of work! These Chernasado folk certainly take pride in their craft, I can respect that."


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

"Um, maybe we might, uh, be safe since we're on this side?" Gaius suggests, however his lack of movement indicates his general unwillingness to test this particular theory.
________
To the other side!


F Human Mesmerist 5 HP 43/43 Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will: +4/+6 AC:18 Init: 5 Staring At: Spells 5/5 1st 3/3 2nd Tricks 4/4 Used Status:

"Your probably a right Udnari. I doubt they would heavily trap their base of operations without ease of disabling them."


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Esperanza gives the dwarf a strange look, but says nothing, before continuing down the southern hallway. "There might be a secondary trap, like the golem, so keep an eye out."

Perception to spot traps: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


You circle around and take the path not taken, finding a hallway that mirrors the one that brought you to this point.

You first pass another alcove, but the dusty dais within still plays host to its occupant: another golem carved from rare woods, this one shaped to appear as though it holds an oversized wooden axe in each hand. The construct stands askew, with its head lolling to the side and its lifeless eyes aimed at the stone floor. Gaius' attuned senses can perceive magic still woven within the golem, but it appears yet dormant - for now.

Approaching from behind, Esperanza spots the two traps that guard the southern passage.

While the first curve of the northern hall was protected by a hail of arrows trap, the parallel portion of the southern hall harbors a pair of scything blades within its walls - also connected to pressure plates concealed among the flagstone floor. The blades' arcs sit at 1 foot and 3 feet high, respectively.

At the nadir of the southern passage is another dead-end hallway, at the end of which hangs a steel key upon a hook of iron. Rather than a pit trap, however, Esperanza observes a web of hair-thin wires that crisscross the the hall. As best as she can discern, they may trigger something to shoot out from the walls.


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Esperanza places a hand on Thorek's shoulder, stopping him. "Look there," she says, pointing. "Pressure plates, trip wires. Probably shoots more arrows at us, before it sets off the second golem."


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Indicating the dormant golem and the ball of fire dancing on his fingertipes, Undari asks, "Does anyone have any ideas how to turn this golem to our purposes, or should I just burn it with the remainder of my fire spell before it activates?"

2 attacks used with produce flame, 3 remaining, but 1 expires every minute of unuse.


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

"Leave it be, Undari. If we can nab that key without activating it, it's possible one of the Rangers will know how to command it. Once we find them, of course."


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

"How about we check how far we can get with this key first? Or, we could always light the construct on fire before it awakens, I bet snagging the key will set it off like the other," Gaius says, rambling through his thoughts.


F Human Mesmerist 5 HP 43/43 Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will: +4/+6 AC:18 Init: 5 Staring At: Spells 5/5 1st 3/3 2nd Tricks 4/4 Used Status:

" You would think their would be a badge or something to identify the Rangers that would pacify the golden."


A suitable skill check, such as Perception or Craft (Traps) could identify how to retrieve this second key without triggering the trap or the golem.
Likewise, a knowledge or Intelligence check could recall - as Lily suggests - a badge that would mark you as Rangers, thus allowing you to bypass the golem.


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

Thorek hunkers down near the trap Esperanza pointed out, muttering to himself as he tries to puzzle out its construction and how they might safely retrieve the key.

Craft (Traps): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

Undari listens to what Lily suggests, then tries to remember if there was something distinctive about the clothing the Rangers were wearing or perhaps an identifying badge or symbol.

Intelligence Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

Gaius also sets his mind to the task of outsmarting the mindless construct. Should be simple really...
________
Int Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Intelligence Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Esperanza spends some time trying to recollect the details of the Ranger uniform, before remembering she has never seen a Chernasardo Ranger in her entire life.


Thorek recognizes that, unlike the other key alcove, the trap within this alcove is not linked to the hook that holds the key but rather the wires strung across the hallway. If Gaius again uses his cantrip to remove the key, it should not trigger the trap or, by extension, the other guardian. Of course, it may be tricky navigating the floating key through the webwork of wires.

Additionally, Gaius recalls that one of the most distinctive features of the Chernasardo Rangers - and the closest thing to a uniform that the irregulars wear - is their gray and green ponchos.


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

"If we can get one of those capes or ponchos the Rangers wear, we might be able to fool the construct's simple identification protocols," Gaius points out. "Then maybe if I trip the trap, we'll be safe!"
________
Anything around we could use for a poncho of the right color? Do you want a check for mage handing the key around wires?


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

Esperanza looks at Gaius skeptically. "Have we seen any of them? Even on a corpse?"


LG Dwarf Warpriest5 l hp 47/47 l AC22 (T13, FF20) l F +7, R +4, W +6, Ini +2 l CMB +3 CMD15 l Minor Blessings 2/3 l Fervor 2/4 l Dorn-Dergar: Reach Dorn-Dergar

"I don't think we need any capes," Thorek says, standing up from where he'd be studying the trap. "The key itself isn't trapped the way the last one was, Gaius could just grab it with magic like before." The dwarf turns and gives the wizard an appraising look. "Of course, if you snag any of those wires you'll still probably set the trap off."

Gotta channel your inner Catherine Zeta Jones, Gaius!


Male Varisian Human Druid (Restorer) | AC 19 (Touch 10, Flat-Footed 19) | Hp 32/33 | Fort +6, Reflex +2, Will +9 | Conditions: Resinous Skin (DR 5/Piercing) | Druid (Restorer) 5

”Right,” says Undari, staying in front of the wood golem with flame in his hand and shield at the ready, ”If the wooden guardian activates, I’ll be ready.”


Female Tiefling (Div-Spawn) Swashbuckler (Wildstrider) 5 | 35/39 HP | AC19{23} T15 FF14{18} | CMD20 | F +3 R +9 W +3 | Spd 30 | Init +6 | Perc +5 | Bluff +10, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +7, History +2, Nature +3, Perception +5, Perform (Dance) +10, Stealth +8, Survival +5 | Panache: 2/2 | Active Conditions: Ironskin, Tongues

"Me too," Esperanza says, taking up a position next to the druid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I cannot recall if the party recovered any panchos, but you can find some by searching through the wrecked barracks in the fort outside.

Gaius - I'll rule that navigating the key through the wires using Mage Hand will require a Dexterity check with an additional +2 bonus thanks to your Spellcraft ranks, representing your ability to concentrate on using the magic.


Male Human Arcanist 5| HP: 32/32 | AC: 12 [16] T: 12 FF: 10 [16] CMD: 13 | F+4 R+4 W+6 +2 poison | Init +2 | Perception +5 |
Tracked Resources:
Spells 1st 0/5, 2nd 2/3 ; Extend 3/3; Reservoir 4/8

Taking Thorek's suggestion as an order, Gaius immediately sets to work maneuvering the key through the mesh of wires and into his hands.

Come on... Come on... COME OOOONNN!
________
Dex (Spellcraft): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 + 2 = 24
Doesn't get better than that!

3,151 to 3,191 of 3,191 << first < prev | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Night of Iron Fangs All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.