Talanor, the Bright Tower

Game Master Valjoen_KC

Current Date: 4th of Dasyris, 7995 E.C.

Current Battle Map

Arrington's Map

Campaign Spreadsheet

Cast of Characters

Tacal's Stats


4,901 to 4,950 of 5,288 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>

Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

The plant has a CMD that can beat a 31 even with the -6 penalty due to its missing strength? That's impressive!


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

I know that Truk has been slammed at work and home stuff. And it's been roughly 24 hours.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Sorry. I've been cripplingly busy and Truk'tosh doesn't really have anything to contribute.

Holding his weapon at the ready, Truk'tosh waits for his sister's magic to kill the hungry plants.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Fly1Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Fly2BreakGrappleDC28: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (7) + 22 = 29

Botting Garidan

Truk'tosh and Garidan hold tight watching the plants wither. The one plant on the surface breaks free from the blacktentacles and continues after the half-orc, while the other flounders at the bottom of the pit.

Verthag watches with the slightest hint of a smile on his face.

Trapped - Round 5

Raektov (-5, Fly, FFall)
Giant Flytrap (Dead, Essence)
Gruskorb <-- UP
Verthag (-62, -2 AC charge)
Niyut (71/71, Images 6/6) <-- UP
Niyut's Psudoedragon <-- UP
Malthazir (62/62, Invisible, FFall) <-- UP
Mal's Psudoedragon (dead)
Truk'tosh (74/116, Icy Form) <-- UP
Garidan (88/88) <-- UP
Flytrap1 (-31, -12 Str, Pit)
Flytrap2 (-41, -12 Str)

Status:


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Flytrap 1 Strength Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Flytrap 2 Strength Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Reflex 22, or take 1 Strength damage. They will suffer a -2 penalty to their save due to darkness.

Niyut's shadow projection speeds to the fly trap not in the pit.

Strength Drain (TA) (Haste): 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 1 = 24
Strength Drain: 1d6 ⇒ 3

She sinks her hand into it further withering it.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

With the largest of the plants brought down, Garidan holds and watches the roiling mist nervously for several moments, and his caution is soon rewarded as a lesser flytrap comes rampaging out of the vaporous cloud. Unlike previously, however, the swashbuckler doesn't immediately charge in. Instead, he spends a few seconds studying the creature, then carefully advances a pace and whips his rapier toward the flytrap, sending a shard of razor-edged bone slamming into its body. Even as the shard bursts into a rapidly-disappearing puff of dust, the swashbuckler is racking his mind--which has finally caught up to the situation and dropped out of the reflexive survival mode that the ambush had triggered--for anything of use concerning these things.

Using a move action to use studied target against flytrap #2, then taking a 5-foot step, followed by a standard action to attack with bone shards at 3 range increments, with Power Attack, active Precise Strike (for 1 panache and his swift action), Point-Blank Shot, and haste.

Rapier Attack (Bone Shards): 1d20 + 18 - 4 - 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 18 - 4 - 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 28
Rapier Damage: 1d8 + 9 + 6 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 6 + 14 + 2 + 1 = 40

And making a Knowledge check--presumably nature--to see what, if anything, Garidan might know about such creatures; the check gains a bonus from Studied Target. Does the check cover both the smaller and larger flytraps?
Knowledge (nature) Check: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 2 = 17

Effect: Studied Target +2, haste (+1 attack, +1 Reflex, +1 dodge bonus to AC).


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz waits in silence, letting the others finish off what remains of the plants.

Delay. As Niyut suggests I think I've spent enough resources this fight :)


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Fly1RefDC22: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 2 = 22
Fly2RefDC22: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 - 2 = 26

The plants continue to slowly wither as Garidan's rapier discharges sharp slivers of the blade, shredding the southern most flytrap. Garidan shakes his head in disbelief. Never has he heard of such bizarre, primordial plants, much less seen them.

As they cannot catch anyone to attack, do you want me to fast forward a bit? You have a few rounds left before Niyut's draining spell ends. We could see if either of them survive and then pick it back up.

Trapped - Round 5

Raektov (-5, Fly, FFall)
Giant Flytrap (Dead, Essence)
Gruskorb (Hasted)<-- UP
Verthag (-62, -2 AC charge)
Niyut (71/71, Images 6/6, Hasted)
Niyut's Psudoedragon <-- UP
Malthazir (62/62, Invisible, FFall) <-- Delayed
Mal's Psudoedragon (dead)
Truk'tosh (74/116, Icy Form, Hasted) <-- UP
Garidan (88/88, Hasted)
Flytrap1 (-31, -13 Str, Pit)
Flytrap2 (-81, -13 Str)

Status:


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Flytrap 2 should be at -16 strength. Even though it saved, she touched it in shadow form. Between the spell and two touch attacks per round, it seems safe to assume that these are very dead. I can give you a series of rolls if you like.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

I'm happy to let the others butcher them in their helpless states.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

While it's very tempting to drag this out and wring every last hit point we can from them--our poor goat deserves it, if nothing else--I think it's pretty clear that these luckless dumbasses bit off a lot more than they could chew. I have no objection to speeding things along :D.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Round 6
Flytrap1RefDC22Rd6: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 8 - 2 = 25Flytrap1StrDamRd6: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 Fly1: -18
Flytrap2RefDC22Rd6: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 8 - 2 = 9Flytrap2StrDamRd6: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Fly2: -18
NiyutFly2StrDrain (TA) (Haste)Rd6: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 1 = 17Str: 1d6 ⇒ 5 Fly2: -24
NiyutFly2StrDrain (TA) (Haste)Rd6: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 1 = 27Str: 1d6 ⇒ 6 Fly2: Dead
Round 7
Flytrap1RefDC22Rd7: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 8 - 2 = 25Flytrap1StrDamRd7: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Fly1: -20
NiyutFly1StrDrainRd7: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 1 = 22Str: 1d6 ⇒ 2 Fly1: -22
NiyutFly1StrDrainRd7: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 9 + 1 = 21Str: 1d6 ⇒ 1 Fly1: -23
Round 8
Flytrap1RefDC22Rd8: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 8 - 2 = 8Flytrap1StrDamRd8: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Fly1: Dead
Fly2LE65: 1d100 ⇒ 60
Fly1LE65: 1d100 ⇒ 78

Niyut wrote:
Did you miss that as a projected Shadow Niyut's touch attacks are dealing 1d6 points of strength damage as well. I mentioned it in the last few posts. She has haste and is intangible. These things should be dead.

I missed that you were continuing the touch attacks. Fixed now.

The flytrap one slowly making it's way towards Truk'tosh collapses and shrivels up just as the spell fades. A glowing life essence rises from the compost. The plant in Malthazir's pit, is severely drained Niyut's spell and her touch attacks and dies as well.

Trapped - Round 9

Raektov (-5, Fly, FFall)
Giant Flytrap (Dead, Essence)
Gruskorb (Hasted)<-- UP
Verthag (-62, -2 AC charge)<-- UP
Niyut (71/71, Images 6/6, Hasted) <-- UP
Niyut's Psudoedragon <-- UP
Malthazir (62/62, Invisible, FFall) <-- UP
Mal's Psudoedragon (dead)
Truk'tosh (74/116, Icy Form, Hasted) <-- UP
Garidan (88/88, Hasted) <-- UP
Flytrap1 (Dead)
Flytrap2 (Dead, Essence)

Status:


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Did you miss that as a projected Shadow Niyut's touch attacks are dealing 1d6 points of strength damage as well. I mentioned it in the last few posts. She has haste and is intangible. These things should be dead.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut pulls the lingering life energy from one of the smaller flytraps. It sparkles and shimmers as it flies towards Malthazir just as the essence from the far larger flytrap seeks out Truk.

"Besides for our poor goat is everyone alright? "

She moves to heal her injured brother even as she speaks.

CSW: 3d8 + 8 ⇒ (3, 7, 7) + 8 = 25

Spectral hands painted with symbols fade into view as she calls upon their grandmother for heal.

Niyut stares at the partially digested Night Blood. "Do you need healing or does the blood that courses through you knit your wounds."

Once the worst of the wounds have been tended, Niyut searches the area. "These plants may have been waylaying travelers for years. Perhaps their meals left something of value behind."

She will detect magic to aid her search, but she expects to find little.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Garidan keeps his weapon out and ready, just to be on the safe side, but does relax just a touch now that the obvious enemies have been dealt with. "I'm quite fine," he replies when Niyut asks after everyone's status. "Surprisingly, I didn't get so much as a scratch on me. It's a shame about the goat, however," the swashbuckler adds with a sad look toward the scattered remains of the aforementioned caprine.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

With his wounds from the battle mended by his twin’s craft, Truk’tosh finds the strength to join the others in picking through their attackers’ withered remains.

”The Lost have been known to use the fluids from creatures like these their poison-craft”, Truk notes with a nod toward Garidan. ”I don’t know how it takes for it to spoil but if you hurry you may be able to harvest some. Avoid the barbed vines. They are… sharp.”


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut nods, the Lost could turn almost anything into something useful. And given their war with the Night Blood, poisons and traps are often useful.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Jeeze. I missed a bunch of words in that post.

Truk'tosh wrote:

”The Lost have been known to use the fluids from creatures like these in their poison-craft”, Truk notes with a nod toward Garidan. ”I don’t know how long it takes for such things to spoil but if you hurry you may be able to harvest some. Avoid the barbed vines. They are… sharp.”


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

@Valjoen: Can Garidan get anything useful from the plant corpses? If so, what checks would I need to make?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Unfortunately, these plants aren't poisonous, but you could use the vines to make rope given time. You could collect enough for 30' of stronger than average rope.

Verthag makes a face at the flytraps after they died. Nodding at the oracle, he speaks, "I will be fine..." Without as much as a thank you, he squats and has a bite of food while he heals some of his wounds with the magic within himself.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

What about their acidic secretions? Did Niyut discover anything in her search?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

VHeal: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 3) + 5 = 16
VHeal: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 7) + 5 = 18
VHeal: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (2, 5) + 5 = 12

Looks like I also lost a post here from Friday...

@Niyut - The acidic reference was just descriptive of the juices I assumed in their mouths given their lack of stomach. No use otherwise.

While the oracle searches the area with no success, Verthag and Truk'tosh recover from their injuries. After a short rest, the group continues on their march, albeit much more alert.

After several more hour through the dense forest, Verthag halts the group. "We are not far now, maybe half of a mile from the Daguják, the Making Stones. Gzenkathu and Lyréla believed that the Soulbleed is there... do you feel anything with that staff?"

Niyut holds the staff out, its pull is undeniable. Stronger has it grown these past few hours. It now feels as though an invisible hand grasps the staff and pulls it from her grip. The staff points forward down the path, and slightly to the right.

Verthag nods, "The road goes past the stones. They are no more than one hundred paces to the south... the right."

Health Status:

Raektov (0)
Gruskorb ()
Verthag (-16)
Niyut (71/71)
Malthazir (62/62)
Truk'tosh (99/116)
Garidan (88/88)


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

@GM: Between the 10 HP for fiendish healing and his healing potion, shouldn't Raektov be at full? @ Mal: Can you give Truk a hit of fiendish healing?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps
Niyut wrote:
@GM: Between the 10 HP for fiendish healing and his healing potion, shouldn't Raektov be at full? @ Mal: Can you give Truk a hit of fiendish healing?

Fixed


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"Yes, whomever broke my mother's staff is close. I fear it will be a very dangerous battle. Everyone should be fully healed and warded before we mount our assault."

Niyut offers her brother their mother's staff. "Brother, do you wish to take our mother's staff and smite down those who harmed her? They will glow with an eldritch flame and each strike has the chance of reclaiming its stolen power. You are the greatest warrior, your strikes will be surer than mine. The honor should be yours."

She turns to Raektov and Gruskorb "Will you two stay here with Tacal and guard our retreat?"

Then she begins to invoke her grandmother to protect them from evil magic and influences. Protection from Evil on: Mal, Niyut, Truk, and Garidan

"I would like to see what there is to see before we attack. I will approach as shadow. I should be back in less than two minutes. If I'm discovered and captured, leave my body with Raektov and Gruskorb and come rescue me."

If ever there is a time to buff, this is it.

Shadow Niyut will take advantage of being incorporeal and the earth and vegetation to sneak forwards under total cover.

Perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (12) + 20 = 32 She will be also detecting magic looking for traps and wards.

Stealth: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (16) + 24 = 40 If there is dim lit from the stars or other sources increase the check by +4


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

"You honor me sister but I am not the greatest by any measure." Truk'tosh explains before he pauses to further consider his twin's suggestion.

"It was by your will that we began this hunt against the disparate wishes of the surviving elders. It was by your cunning that we have closed on our quarry. It was you that was closest to our mother's lore and craft. Even if you cannot strike down her killers by the strength of your arm, you should wield her broken staff in this battle."

***

Truk'tosh calls on spirits of root and bark to bolster his armor for the coming battle.

Barkskin.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz will set the devil ooze loose on Truk for a minute to heal 10 hp.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut does not understand her brother's malaise. She had seen the dread spirit of war upon him, seen him conquer many great and powerful foes. Perhaps he was merely giving up hope in their darkened world. But it seems as if some spirit of despair and doubt assailed him.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Post fight:
Before they depart the site of the battle, Garidan takes a bit of time--under Truk'tosh's direction--harvesting what he can of the bodies that may be of use.

Gathering the stuff to make the rope with. What kind of check would be needed to actually make the rope?

With the rest of the party:
With everyone else quietly preparing themselves, the swashbuckler does likewise, though there's little enough involved in that beyond drawing his weapon. His armor's magic, he elects to reserve for when it is actually needed, lest he waste one of the limited uses the magic grants.

Effects: Protection from Evil (+2 deflection to AC, +2 resistsance to saves); Weapon Cord (left): Yes.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 21
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 21
1d20 + 12 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 20 = 43
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
1d20 + 19 ⇒ (16) + 19 = 35
1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39
Garidan: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Gruskorb: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Malthazir: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15
Verthag: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
1d10 ⇒ 8

@Garidan - Please give me an flat check.

While the group prepare's themselves, Niyut slips away as a shadowy form. The oracle travels up the road, seeing nothing and hearing only the chirps of the birds and locust that populate the forest. Pulled southward by the staff, she turns from the main road and travels down a rugged trail. A voice calls out in the darkness, crying words of a harsh language she does not understand. It babbles rhythmically as if chanting. As she approaches, a fire begins to illuminate the area.

Amidst the gnarled, old trees of the forest is a ring of toppled stones, three feet thick and wide, and over ten feet long which surround a single, larger Gathering Stone that extends well over twenty feet high. The five stones, that lie flat upon the ground, spray outward in a circle. Atop the central Gathering Stone, a bright fire burns, its flames reaching up into the sky. Streaks of deep purple flames burst from the fire as the voice chants, darting twenty feet further into the air before arcing into the fallen, surrounding stones and bursting with a radiance that nearly blinds the oracle. Before the burning, Gathering Stone stands a tall figure in a black hooded robe, encircled by a half dozen orc warriors.

Lying upon the toppled stones, Niyut sees five humanoid figures shrouded in black linens. They lie motionless as the hooded figure reaches out its hands, in time with the chants. With each cry, the figure raises their hands and calls forth the purple flames. As they strike the fallen, surrounding stones, Niyut can see the faint trace of runes upon them. Runes that dimly glow a pulsing dark purple light.

@Niyut - The Gathering Stone is 1/2 mile from the group's location. How long will it take you to travel there? How long are you staying there to observe the situation before returning?

Health Status:

Raektov (0)
Gruskorb (0)
Verthag (-16)
Niyut (71/71, PfEvil)
Malthazir (62/62, PfEvil)
Truk'tosh (109/116, PfEvil)
Garidan (88/88, PfEvil)


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

A Google search turned up what I think you're asking for.

Flat Check: 1d20 ⇒ 4


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"They are no more than one hundred paces to the south... the right." --- this made me think they were much closer. May I have said five minutes instead of 2?It will take me about 16 rounds to move roughly have a mile.

Spell Craft (What is going on?): 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (11) + 24 = 35 If this needs to be a an Arcana check, the modifier is the same.

Monstrous Insight: Kn: Arcana (What is this woman and what can she do?): 1d20 + 24 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 24 + 8 = 41

Monstrous Insight (Su): The shaman can identify creatures and gain insight into their strengths and weaknesses. As a standard action, the shaman can attempt a Knowledge skill check to identify a creature and its abilities (using the appropriate skill for the monster’s type) with an insight bonus equal to her shaman level. Whether or not the check is successful, she also gains a +2 insight bonus for 1 minute on attack rolls made against that creature and a +2 insight bonus to her AC against attacks made by that creature. These bonuses last for 1 minute. The shaman can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

@Garidan - You try several methods of braiding the fibrous sinews into a rope with no success. Each time the rope unwinds. You think that with more practice you may find another method. At least, the plant material isn't wasted and can be used in another attempt.

@Niyut - "100 paces to the south" is how far from the stones are from the main road. However, Verthag stopped you short of this mark by about a half mile. So, half mile down the path, and then 100 paces to the right of the path.

Niyut:
Watching the cloaked figure, the oracle realizes quickly that it is an immortal abomination... a hag. She has seen these before upon the mountains above Earthenwork, but this hag is more powerful drawing energies directly from the ether to conduct a dark ritual. She is highly resistant to magic and clearly immune to the fire she wields. Her mind is steel and her skin immune to the touch of cold and weapons, lest they be magic, Niyut thinks. She is strong and has no weaknesses the half-orc realizes.

Niyut's studies of the Liber Sanguinem, however, make it easy for her to identify the riutal as necromatic. But is purpose and effect is very complex. She knows that time will given her further insights into the ritual.

Identifying a spell requires no action but you must witness the spell being cast. This ritual takes a long time, so gaining insight can't be a free action. With 2 minutes of study, I'll give you the components, skill checks, range, target, duration, and saves. With 2 additional minutes of study (total of 4 minutes), I'll tell you the effect and backlash. With another 2 additional minutes (total of 6), I'll tell you the duration of the ritual and what happens in a failure. How long do you study it?


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

GM:

Niyut knows that hags are often attuned to natural powers -- moon, storm, oceans, etc. To what if anything is this hag attuned? To the best of her knowledge can this hag pierce invisibility?

Niyut looks around for a place for her companions to converge upon preferably where they can see the ritual (outside of medium range) but the ritual participants cannot easily see them.

Perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37

Once she chosen a spot, Niyut lets her shadow snap back to her body. She opens her eyes.

"She stands at the stones performing a ritual. She is aided by six of the Night-Blood. Her mind and skin are stronger than metal. She will fear neither fire nor ice. Unless your mastery is strong, spells that strike here will be naught but rain."

Niyut then describes the spot she chose. "Move quickly to here. As silently as you may. When you get a minute away from the stones, cover yourself in charms of flight and invisibility on our warriors so that they may cut her down when my spells might fail. I say we strike her hard and fast. I will return there and wait for you to arrive so that I might discern the nature of her ritual."

After answering any questions, Niyut will travel through the dark paths to observe there ritual. Using Dimension Door, it will take her about three rounds to return, where she will observe the ritual over the many minutes it takes for her companions to arrive.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Niyut Returns 3min

Niyut:
Stories you heard of Leeluran, the Soulbleed, from your youth would suggest that she was associated with nightmares and unpleasant dreams. She was banished into her own nightmare within the Dreaming long ago. You cannot be certain, but she was said to "perceive everything around her at all times" and "nothing that entered her thoughts could hide from her sight."

Niyut opens her eyes and tells the group what she saw at the Gathering Stone.

Health Status:

Raektov (0)
Gruskorb (0)
Verthag (-16)
Niyut (71/71, PfEvil)
Malthazir (62/62, PfEvil)
Truk'tosh (109/116, PfEvil)
Garidan (88/88, PfEvil)

Protection from Evil - 5/8 min


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Guys don't forget to fully heal before the fight. It looks like Verthag an Truk could use another hit from Mal's stone.

Her return should be instantaneous since she is no longer projecting her spirit.

"Invisibility might not be a sure charm against her."

What does she learn about the ritual when she dimension doors back?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

I'd like to wait until the others have a chance to ask Niyut questions and see what other actions occur before we get Niyut back to the ritual. There is a timing issue with the Protection from Evil spell ticking and want to keep track of time. Niyut took 2 minutes to travel there and spent 1 minute seeing the ritual, observing the hag and searching for a place for the group to converge on the ceremony. Since she instantly goes back to her body, I'm saying that you've used 3 of 8 minutes on the Pro. from Evil duration at this time.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

"Who or what is she?" Truk'tosh asks after a moment of thought. "Were you able to learn why she struck down our mother and stole her power?"


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"A hag of great power. For the ritual, I believe, which I will understand once I return to the rendezvous point."


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

"We should make haste then."

"If she's as strong as the ones we battled in the mountains, I doubt our ability to strike her down before she can rally them to her side. Can you draw the Nightblood away? Six may be too many for us to attack head-on."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"She will be far stronger than those three. But, the Night-Blood warriors? Don't worry. I can blind and befuddle them, but the hag will be proof to most magic. Only magical weapons can harm her. That is why your strong arms and ax will be her doom."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut will cast Tongues so that she can understand the chant.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

GarStealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
MalStealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
TrukStealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
VerStealth: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (11) + 21 = 32
1d20 + 19 ⇒ (7) + 19 = 26
Perception
Garidan: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Malthazir: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19 +2 with familiar
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25
Verthag: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 22
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
Initiative
Garidan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 +8 with swashbuckler initiative
Malthazir: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
Truk'tosh: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11 Domain power use.
Verthag: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
1d6 ⇒ 6

Verthag nods in a greement to Niyut's plan for their assault on the Soulbleed. Gruskorb looks a bit put out at his assingment, but the hobgoblin sighs and accepts his responsibility over the young wizard.

As Niyut departs, Malthazir places the devil ooze upon the warriors, and it begins to heal their wounds. 7/10 infernal heals remaining. As the infernal magic works, the four head out to meet Niyut using as much stealth as possible. The Forest of the Night is quiet and Garidan and the orc warrior follow suit. However, the elf and the druid, try as they might, are not nearly as quiet as they make their way down the main road toward the side path.

Another minute passes and with the infernal healing fading from Verthag, Malthazir lays the devil ooze upon his skin again to heal the remaining wounds of the orc. 6/10 infernal heals remaining. As the Malthazir slips the ooze back upon his shoulder, the orc motions down the road. "The side-path leading to the Gathering Stone s not far... less than a quarter mile. The she-orc would have us meet her in the woods south of where the side-path meets the stones. We should enter the woods here." As he begins to slip off into the underbrush of the Forest of the Night, Garidan catches a glimpse of movement ahead. He looks down the road to see a shadowy figure take on a nightmarish shape, not quite human or animal or fiend. It makes no sound and floats above the ground. Before he can speak, it darts forward directly towards them.

The group is currently 1620' from the Gathering Stones and 1580' from Niyut's hidden spot.

A Nightmare in the Forest - Surprise Round

Malthazir (62/62, PfEvil)
Garidan (88/88, PfEvil) <-- UP (1 Action)
Verthag (107/113)
Truk'tosh (116/116, PfEvil)
Shadowy Figure (-0)

Status Effects: Protection from Evil 4/8 min remaining


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Is there a Knowledge check I can make for this thing?

Before they begin their attack, Garidan quickly switches out the contents of his bandolier, selecting those items from his limited cache that might prove the most helpful against the power of a hag of Li'luraant's fearsome reputation. He then skulks off into the underbrush, only to draw up short when he sees the shadowy form. Though unable to call a warning to the others before it advances, he does so afterward. "There's something coming, I don't know what it is, but it knows we're here!"

Knowledge (?) Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
If the Knowledge check is for nature, then increase the result by +1


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Knowledge (Planes) DC18

Garidan's stares at the creature with eyes wide open. Never has he seen such a horrid thing, nor heard tales. Only in his darkest nightmares could he imagine this shadowy thing to exist.

@Garidan - Action?


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Unable to discern anything about the shadowy form, the swashbuckler moves cautiously, angling away from Truk'tosh, Malthazir, and Verthag to avoid being caught in any wide-area attacks the thing may possess.

Taking a move action.

Effects: Protection from Evil (+2 deflection to AC, +2 resistsance to saves); Weapon Cord (left): Yes.

Just to remind you, Valjoen, Garidan has Charmed Life available to improve his saving throws a limited number of times per day. If he gets hit with something requiring a Will or Fortitude save--in that order of importance--he will expend a use to increase his result.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

GM Screen:

Niyut:

As you watch the Soulbleed perform the ritual, you begin to understand. She mutters some cosmic language that you would have never understood but for your spell. She speaks of the living nightmare that cuts into the Ether and of the end of halcyon days of the First Lands. In her left hand a glowing, opaque stone pulses with energy drawn from the fire atop the Gathering Stone. With her right hand, she reaches out carressing the Gatherng Stone. With each touch, the fire rages stronger and flashes its energy. The humanoid figures lying, shrouded upon the toppled stones, convulse slightly as the energy wraps around them. They make no sound.

You stare in wonder and awe of the necrotic power you are witnessing. Then you recognize the ley line upon which the Gathering Stone rests. It is Death... and the Soulbleed has tapped it.

Components: V, S, M (a dream stone, 5 living mortals);
Skill Checks: Knowledge (arcana) DC 37, 3 successes; Knowledge (planes) DC 37, 3 success; Spellcraft DC 37, 3 success.
Range: touch
Target: one Gathering Stone
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: none; Spell Resistance: no

The figure silently flies forward. It's penetrating stair is unnerving. It's mouth gaepes wide, but the creature does not emit a sound. It flies several feet forward, reaching out an incorporeal hand at Truk'tosh.

Truk'tosh:
Please give me a DC19 Will save. Fail = You fall unconscious.

A Nightmare in the Forest - Round 1

Malthazir (62/62, PfEvil) <-- UP
Garidan (88/88, PfEvil) <-- UP
Verthag (108/113, Healing1 rd10) <-- UP
Truk'tosh (116/116, PfEvil) <-- UP
Shadowy Figure (-0)

Status Effects: Protection from Evil 4/8 min remaining


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

GM:

What!? Wow! If I understand correctly, this leyline is the original Death ley line? (And thus not part of the song-lines.) That somewhere along its path lies the the gate of Death where the first undead creature emerged? Does Niyut think that this spot if the Death Leyline is accessible here, is historically important to the undead? IE, is this where Vash of the Blood became a vampire and an undead godling as opposed to a living one? Or is it happenstance that the leyline runs here? Can she sense the directionality of the energy? For example could she trace the energy back "upstream" and towards the gate of Death?

Niyut eyes widen with the implication that her mother is still alive.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Will: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 2 = 29

Truk’tosh’s vision dims briefly when the spectral creature’s hand enters his chest dangerously close to his beating heart. With a snarl, he snaps away from the growing darkness and retreats a step. He studies its unnatural movements briefly and then sets his axe spinning at it. ”Return to darkness!”

Move action to study. Standard to attack.

Feint: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 = 27
Attack: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 13 + 2 = 28
Damage: 2d6 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (3, 6) + 8 + 2 = 19

Can’t sneak attack incorporeal so no sense in rolling it.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

I think it was a ranged touch attack, since its marker is not adjacent to you.

4,901 to 4,950 of 5,288 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Talanor, the Bright Tower All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.