Talanor, the Bright Tower

Game Master Valjoen_KC

Current Date: 4th of Dasyris, 7995 E.C.

Current Battle Map

Arrington's Map

Campaign Spreadsheet

Cast of Characters

Tacal's Stats


5,101 to 5,150 of 5,288 << first < prev | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | next > last >>

Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

What can of loot did these dead Nightblood leave behind in terms of wonders or curios? From the battle it seemed like they had magic weapons and items?


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

After Niyut scans the area for magical items and essences, she turns her attention to the body of the dead familiar. Speaking words seared into her soul since she bonded with her grimoire, she takes its blood and searches it for secrets. She would go to its roots and find answers.

She is casting Blood Biography because the familiar is dead, it does not get a saving throw the way a living or undead creature would. Who are you? (The name by which the creature is most commonly known) What are you? (Gender, race, profession/role) How was your blood shed? (Brief outline of the events that caused its wound, to the best of the victim’s knowledge. It is her hope and mine that she will be able to discern the identity of its mistress either through the role/profession ("I was the familiar of X.") Or through how it died (X sacrificed me so that she could survive a very rude ax to the face.) If that doesn't happen what would be the knowledge and difficulty to go "oh, a rat familiar named X is connected to witch named Y."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut squeezes the blood from the dismembered rat. As it blood begins to glow and move, Niyut murmurs to her companions.

"It is a blessing that the witch's familiar was killed. For many witches, a familiar is the locus of the eldritch pacts they have struck. A dead familiar is like a wizard's book that has been burned. If our luck holds, it will be several days before she can replace it. It can take hours of ritual work. If we find her before then, she will have limited magic to turn against us."


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz exhales sharply through his nose. "It is hardly as irreplaceable. A spellbook takes years of study and research and experimentation, and if one is lost you must spend all the resources again. Being able to channel your spellcasting ability into a new creature in a few days, pah, if only we were so lucky."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut nods distractedly, "You would know best in such matters, though for wizards they can copy some of their missing spells from memory and that would be faster. But you are saying that the spells they exhaust are lost until they research them again? That is far worse than the rigors of summoning a new familiar."


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Niyut focuses on the dead familiar's blood sensing knowledge of its past. I was Zarah, hedgehog familiar to my mistress. I protected her with my life against the half-breed boy and his vicious axe so that the coven will be made anew. Niyut ponders the creature's mistress; her identity shrouded by the dark hooded cloak. She begins to consider what witch may have kept such a creature, but she shakes her head in frustration. No witch would every let her familiar be known to anyone beyond her coven. Only this hedgehog's sacrifice had revealed the the identity of the cloaked witch's companion.

Loot to be listed in the Discussion thread


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut sighs softly. It had been a long shot, though she does not doubt that the witch's face would be known to her.

Struck by inspiration, she pulls out the Liber Sanguinem. Familiars hold the spells of their witches. Perhaps, this familiar's blood would be reactive to the book. Placing the hedgehog's dismembered half onto the grimoire she presses down with the flat of the blade of her boline. Would the familiar's blood transmit new knowledge to the book?

After this experiment, she feeds the blood of the four dead Nightblood to her book.

She then begins to examine their magical items.

Spell Craft (Magical Falchion): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (5) + 26 = 31
Spell Craft (Magical Necklace of Hair and Fangs): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (12) + 26 = 38
Spell Craft (Magical Cestus): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (2) + 26 = 28
Spell Craft (Magical Leather Lamellar): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (2) + 26 = 28
Spell Craft (Potion): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (17) + 26 = 43
Spell Craft (Enchanted Hands): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (19) + 26 = 45
Spell Craft (Magical Breast Plate): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (5) + 26 = 31
Spell Craft (Magical Great Axe): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (8) + 26 = 34
Spell Craft (Potion): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (3) + 26 = 29

The 28s can identify the items if their caster level is 13 or lower. Please let me know if she needs to try again with the Identify spell.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Identification and use of hte blood with the Libre Sanguinem will take some time. I assume this is being done at the now destroyed Gathering Stone. If not, where are you congregating? If so, please update the map with everyone's location. What are you doing with the orcs' corpses and those of the elf, goblin and hobgoblin?


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Meanwhile with Garidan:

It's a desperate flight away from the ritual site for the blinded and wounded swashbuckler, with his sister's vessel providing guidance as best as she can. Though initially spurred on by panic over his grievous injuries and the loss of his sight, Garidan does eventually manage to calm himself somewhat and, by the time that the magic keeping him aloft finally ends, he's able to consider his current situation with fairly clear mind. Landing and seeking cover in a nearby bit of brush, the young man spends a few moments getting his breath and listening for any signs of pursuit by either his companions or their foes. Only when he's satisfied that none of the latter are behind him--and simultaneously worried that none of the former are either--does he address the greatest of the issues currently afflicting him: his complete and utter lack of sight.

A brief query to his sister has her relaying what she can make out, and it's not good news. "I'm sorry, Gari, but this looks bad. I mean, really bad. I don't know what part of that mess back there caused all of this, but your face is covered in wounds and while your eyes don't look like they've taken any damage, they're not reacting at all to my light." Garidan slumps against the groan and shakes his head. "Damn it, I don't know what to do. We don't have much left in the way of healing, and I don't know that the others have any spells that restore sight. And that's assuming that whatever caused this is even something that can be restored. If the ritual did this when it failed, and all of that magic hammered us, it might be beyond fixing. Though I'll have to ask Niyut about that, she knows ritual probably better than anyone else I could ask. That is, if she survived."

And that brings the swashbuckler's thoughts to the fate of his companions, and what his absence might mean if they're still alive and fighting back at the ritual site. Fighting while wounded is one thing, and the lingering drain he's experiencing in the wake of the fight against that dream thing is something he's slowly learning to adjust for. But fighting when he can't see? No, there's just no way he can do that. And his sister's guidance, while helpful during his flight to safety, just isn't fast or accurate enough to be useful in battle. He mentions as much to 'Ruza, and a thoughtful hum fills his mind in response. "If only I could...," his sister begins before falling silent for a few moments. Then, with a hint of excitement tinging her voice, she resumes. "Yeah, that might actually work. Gari, I can see just fine in this thing, even though I don't actually have any eyes. And when I was still in your head, I could see through your eyes with no problems. Maybe we could reconnect that, but do it so that you're seeing through me!" Before Garidan can even ask how they would go about accomplishing this, his sister is already providing an answer. "We know that essences can do a lot, right, and the really powerful ones can do things that lesser essences simply can't. And don't you have one of those essences from that dream thing? Maybe, if you used it on me, I could somehow guide the magic within to do what we need."

The young man considers this idea for a brief period before shrugging and replying as his hand haltingly locates the pouch wherein his essences are stored. "It's better than any idea I have right now, especially since I don't have even one to start with," Garidan replies as his sister's voice directs him to the right bit of magic, the others then returning to storage. Working by touch, Garidan carefully presses the life essence against his sister's vessel and feels it slowly absorb into the stone's surface. For a moment, there's no sign that it had any effect at all. And then, with no warning, Garidan's vision is restored. But to not to the state that he was born with, or even what he had after arriving at the Bright Tower. Instead, he's confronted with a wildly shifting view that eventually settles into a perspective that he's never before experienced, that of someone else. And that someone else is currently looking at a bloody form that he quickly realizes is his own. "Oh, this is... well, 'weird' doesn't really begin to describe this," Garidan mutters to his sister as he considers himself through the vision granted by their new link. The damage to his face, particularly around his eyes, is worrisome. And he can see, quite easily, that what his sister said about his eyes not reacting to light is quite true; with her vessel shining to a degree that could prove dangerous if anyone save for his allies saw it, and should be causing him considerable pain, there's no response. He rolls his eyes slowly from side to side, considering them, and though they indeed do appear to be intact, he doesn't get so much as a glimmer from the ioun torch through them.

Suddenly, his perspective shifts and Garidan finds himself with a view of the belt pouch in which his few essences are currently stored. "Hey, how about a little warning before you move like that," he begins to say with a tone of complaint, only to be cut off by 'Ruza's voice. "Gari, there's an essence in there that I want. I don't know how to explain it, but I just know that I can do something useful with it." His attempts to question 'Ruza are ignored, and finally the swashbuckler digs into the pouch and draws out the three remaining essences in his possession. Almost instantly, the ioun torch darts forward and comes to rest against the odd one out of the trio, that arcane essence he'd received from Niyut back in Haemil. In but a heartbeat, the bit of magic is gone from his open hand, practically sucked into the ioun stone which then begins to race around Garidan's body in a manner that proves incredibly disorienting to him. Gritting his teeth, Garidan swallows hard to keep his last meal down and reflexively--and futilely--shuts his eyes in an effort to stop the wild shifts in his vision. His sister's voice then fills his mind as she finally comes to a halt before him.

"Hah, I was right Gari, I was right! As soon I absorbed that essence, it changed from whatever kind it was into another and a new spell formula appeared in here with all the others. And... Um, you don't look so good, what's wrong?" It takes a bit of doing, since he has pauses frequently to get his stomach under control, but Garidan eventually explains precisely what he just experienced, and the negative effect that it had on him. His sister stutters briefly in embarassment, her light dimming. {i]"O-o-o-oh, I'm, um, I'm so sorry about that Gari. I'm just not used to considering how I move, you know, and I was so excited that I totally forgot that it might a problem for you now."[/i] Waving off his sister's apology with a faint and distinctly pained smile, Garidan swallows a bit more and then slowly crawls out of his temporary hiding spot. "We'll learn, the both of us. But for now we need to get back and see what's going on with the others. And the trip should give us a little time to practice this link before we maybe need to use in a fight."

With a wordless hum of agreement, his sister's vessel settles into a new position around him, just above and behind his left shoulder, and the pair begin a weary march back to where the ritual was occuring.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

This is all happening at the ruined Gathering Stones. The bodies of the Nightblood traitors we will leave the Forest of Night so that they can feed the forest and its creatures. The goblin, elf, and hobgoblin Niyut will give a skyburial to after she offers their blood as well to the hungry book. Once Garidan returns with the others, Niyut will store Verthag's blood after it has been drained and chilled in those insulated containers before claiming his head so that it too can be returned to his village. She will keep any magic and valuables of his separate so that they can be returned to his village.

Niyut will ask Malthazir to keep watch to make sure that their enemies don't return from the Ether. See Invisibility is good for that. Truk should probably be healing himself and his familiar with spells and potions.

There are lots of things to be done.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

I'll admit to not having precisely tracked how far Garidan moved after he was blinded and fell back, so I have no idea how long it'll take to get back to the ritual site on foot while he's suffering the speed reduction for his medium encumbrance. But for when he does eventually get there--because that's the last place that he knew everyone else was located--here's a post.

Garidan pads out of the darkness to the south of the shattered Gathering Stones, his rapier out and ready. But his movements are curiously off, and he doesn't actually look around much. A good look at his face reveals a bloody mess, and the fact his eyes aren't tracking on anything the way that they should be. "Huh, nice to see I'm not the only to survive," he eventually says. "I am noting a distinct lack of dead hag, however, so would I be safe in assuming that this fight isn't quite over and done with yet?" As he speaks, he draws closer to the others, and it becomes ever more obvious that there's definitely something wrong with his eyes.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Double moves for two rounds? Maybe three?


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Three, I think, but his flight speed was reduced due to the encumbrance, so it wasn't 60' per move action but 40'. Honestly, the constant retcons made it really hard to follow what was going on with any accuracy on my end, which is why I eventually just limited myself to "continuing to double move away from the fight."


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

I moved Truk on the map.

Truk'tosh asks for aid from spirits of succor for himself and his familiar.

Don't know how much time will have passed before it matters.

CLW for Truk: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
CLW for Truk via scroll: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW for Nethuns via scroll: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut looks up from a pile of loot that she has gathered and several corpses. "Good. You are still alive. Come over here and let me look at you."

With a gentle touch, Niyut wipes the blood off of Garidan's face. Her eyes open to the Ether she takes a long look at him. Laying both hands on his temples she begins to chant. Wattled, ethereal hands settle over hers as Asthane reaches from the Dreaming to heal Garidan.

Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (6, 1) + 8 = 15

The wounds around his face melt away. "It looks like you have been blinded. Malthazir, should be able to restore your sight by dispelling this magic. You have also been cursed. Let me ponder it, curses often have several ways to be broken. I can provide a bit more healing, but my power is waning. After you have spoken to Mathazir, would you go collect Tacal and the others and bring them here, please?"

Knowledge: Planes: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (17) + 19 = 36
Knowledge: Arcana: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (12) + 24 = 36


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

More Healing:

Garidan
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (1, 6) + 8 = 15
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (7, 3) + 8 = 18

Truk
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (7, 8) + 8 = 23
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (1, 8) + 8 = 17
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (6, 6) + 8 = 20

When she can, Niyut will also heal the two warriors.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Keep in mind see invisibility lasts 80 minutes and I can't cast it anymore today. Not sure how long our errands are going to take just an FYI.

Malz examines Garridan's eyes, taking only a moment before nodding. "Vanilla blindness spell. Nasty in that it is permanent, but removable by magic. However it's a matter of luck if I guess her hex pattern correctly, otherwise I have to brute force my way pas..." He stops as he realizes the others either don't understand or don't care about this level of detail. "It may or may not work. Standby." He raises a hand and starts drawing symbols in the air, chanting slowly.

Dispel: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Hits up to caster level 6, probably doesn't cut it?
Dispel: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Ooph.

Assuming the spellcaster who blinded Garidan has a caster level of at least 7:

"Garrofk alusfaen faer!" Malz swears loudly, throwing his hand down and dispersing the symbols. "Bad guesses. I will have to try again tomorrow. Niyut, when you have time tonight I would like to go over how you may cast such a spell, your magic is much closer to hers than mine is, she uses paths that are unusual to me."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

80 minutes will be more than enough time. Identifying an item takes three rounds. With nine such items to be identified it's a little less than three minutes. We will probably be busy for about an hour.

Niyut nods. Malthazir is right. Her craft and a witch's craft is much the same. The main difference being the source of their power. A spirit guide had an innate gift to allow spirits to effect the two worlds whereas a witch bargained for power or stole it from the spirit world. A witch has more flexibility because there no limits to the pacts they could make given skill and research.

"Counter charms are useful bits of magic. I would be happy to learn the theory behind yours. The two ones I have seen done in the First Lands are widdershins way -- which witches use to evoke echoes of Zamaz's entropy -- and a clever bit of hydromancy that leveragse the aspect of running water to fray enchantments -- druids prefer the second. I've heard of a third method that channels the offending spell into the nearest ley line, where the rush of energies overwhelms most magics. But, I'm very curious how lowlanders do them."


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

"Our line of dispelling focuses on disrupting the paths of magic." Malz knows that while such verbiage likely makes little sense to the others, Niyut would grasp his meaning. "We do not add chaos or disperse the power, rather we tinker with the structure of the spell to cease it operating. Imagine...taking out a gear inside a gatehouse. Requires very little interference but has a massive impact. The problem is in the ability to identify where the weaknesses are, which paths are critical and which are redundant. The problem is that different cultures of magic have different critical and redundant paths, for instance yours puts much heavier emphasis on spirits and nature." He waves a hand in frustration. "The problem is that not only do you have all that clutter, you also make your critical lines from the same ilk. It's like finding the right tree in the forest, it all looks the same to an outsider so I just have to rip up the more important looking trees and hope I get lucky. Although what was odd is that I found the same pattern even though I went down a different path on my second attempt." He pauses, pondering what it could mean.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Seems like an unnecessary amount of abstraction. But, that's the nature of the magic of the hazards. They abstract concepts and then try to brute force the worlds to confirm to their schema. As an approach, it has its strengths and its weaknesses. Their magic is far more mediated from the worlds as they are, but it also allows them a specificity that the more primal magics lack.

Niyut ponders Malthazir's lesson on lowlander counter-charms as she works. "Thank you. That gives me much to consider. If I were attacking a witch's spell in that manner, I would ask the question: is the spell part of a pact or a bit of stolen power? If it's part of a pact, then I would seek to disrupt the exchange of energy between the witch and the spirits her patron rules. For a witch pact, nothing is free. A spirit will not reshape the worlds, if not given the promised energies. Stolen power, on the other hand, is not so easily alienated. Such energies can be dispersed or unraveled, but there is not a single thread to be cut that would negate the spell."


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

"Mhmm..." Malz ponders. "That's more helpful than you know. I thought it looked unnecessarily convoluted given the simplistic nature of the magic. All it really does is disrupt one step in a biological function, for how effective it is, the spell is magnificently efficient."

"This spell was not made that way. Or..." He looks at the failed ritual. "Not originally..."

"Oh. Oh dear. That spell landed in very close proximity to when the ritual failed. That is essentially wild magic, much closer to the stolen power you mention as compared to bargaining with spirits. The extra flare and redundancies...may not have just been decorative style." He gives a pained expression towards Garidan. "Unworking magic directly from a ley-line is almost certainly beyond me, at least right now."


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

As Niyut plies her healing, the swashbuckler sighs in relief and watches from his new point of view as his shredded flesh is restored to something approaching its preferred state, his response to her request being a slight nod. He then waits patiently for Malthazir to have a go at whatever it is that is afflicting his vision. The unexpected and highly technical discussion that arises between Niyut and the latter initially leaves Garidan flabbergasted--of all the times and places for such a thing--but eventually he can't help but laugh about it.

However, Malthazir's final pronouncement wipes away any vestige of humor, and the young man's unseeing eyes reflexively shift to the former site of the largest of the stones. "Not that I doubt your proficiency or experience on the subject, but how sure are you that this failed ritual is the cause, and not just some exotic spell that you've never run across before?" Garidan asks this question with a considerable amount of intensity, the source of which is explained as he continues speaking. "I've heard, and read as well, quite few accounts of just what sorts of damage uncontrolled magic can cause, both initially and over time. And I'd really rather not learn the hard way that blindness is just the start of my problems." The swashbuckler points to the nearby ioun torch with a tilt of his head. "I may have gotten lucky and worked out a surprisingly effective solution for the eyes with the time and resources I had available, but I do not believe I will be that lucky a second time if something else crops up later on."


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

While Malz would normally quickly get annoyed at somebody challenging his craft, he seems to have no such leanings for this discussion. If anything, he looks like he feels awful that he wasn't able to help Garidan, and as he starts to elaborate it's like a healer explaining to a patient that they have an incurable disease.

"No, I identified the spell as it was cast, there is no doubt what it was. A basic sensory deprivation spell, surprisingly easy to master given its effectiveness."

"But Niyut and I are only theorizing, it is entirely possible that I was just unlucky in my attempts. I would remain optimistic, even if this cannot be fixed easily, magic can easily solve such a trivial obstacle." He gestures at his own eyepatch. "This has spurned my research into visual magic, and I actually see better than the rest of you because of it. Either I will dispel this magic, or I will create better magic for your sight than you have ever had before."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut gives an internal sigh of relief that Garidan has found his own solution. While she doesn't know a ritual to restore sight, she has no doubt that Eszira could create one since all parts of the body fall under the sway of chiromancy.

She looks at the shattered menhirs. If she is being completely honest with herself, restoring this sacred place of the five tribes was more interesting and more pressing to her than fixing a problem magic had already rendered mostly cosmetic.

His green eyes are lovely. Eventually, if another easier solution hasn't presented itself, I could cobble together a ritual.

"Malthazir is right about the spell, and this leyline is as strong as the one that flows through the Great River, but far more destructive. Death is not innately evil, I think. Somethings need to fall apart for new things to arise. However, it is inherently a ruinous power. The spell of blindness is also a magic of death. The two may have reverberated together as he suggests."

"What concerns me more is the curse. If we do not break it, it will over the course of several days progressively destroy your mind. That is the matter to which we should direct our cunning."


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

I’m going to assume nothing catastrophic has happens in the three rounds immediately following the battle.

Truk’tosh looks inward while the others discuss the nuances of magical theory and Garidan’s affliction. Verthag’s death and his mother’s near-rescue are occupy much of his thoughts. Could he have done more? For a moment, despair threatens to take him but the nearness of Mylesar’s presences serves as a suitable distraction.

”The great spirit’s power is still within reach. Gather closer”, he asks his companions.

Channels: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 1) = 8

Feeling the divine power pull away from his fingertip, Truk’tosh frowns slightly – an expression exaggerated by his heavy brow.

”My connection to Mylesar is complex. He… is not like the spirits of flame and wind I’m accustomed to bonding with. His needs are more personal.”


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Between my further healing and those very welcome channels, Garidan should be topped off.

Niyut starts when she hears her brother's voice. Her flurry of activity after the battle is in part to distract her from thinking too closely about her mother. How close they were to saving her. How they might not get a second chance.

No. I cannot think about that right now. There are practical problems I can solve. Essences I can harvest to increase our chances to succeed next time. Burials to bless.

Her brother talking about Mylesar is another welcome distraction. She doesn't trust the great spirit of war. She doesn't trust his intentions towards her brother. The great spirit clearly has plans for him.

"Thank you, brother for that healing. When you have a chance, would you please prepare the three witches for an honorable burial after I have looked at them?"


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Fortunately, I made a critical success on a Will save against that curse effect after the dream thing tried to use it a second time, so not only did I avoid the effect of that attempt, but I got credit for two successes toward the prior curse as well. Now I only one more success to shake it off, so break out the Wis/Will buffs!

Hearing Malthazir's careful explanation, the swashbuckler nods slowly. "Well then, let's hope I dodged an arrow and that the magic doesn't do anything further, whatever else comes of this. Some of those accounts, they were quite horrific in the effects that they described. And I'd quite happily live out the rest of my life not waking up one morning as a self-aware pool of slime or something that considers people to be fine dining." Though he laughs slightly as he describes some of the potential outcomes, it's clear that Garidan is genuinely worried about them. Still, worrying himself to a frazzle won't help matters, and so he resolutely turns his mind away from further thoughts of the ritual's aftereffects. And a useful aid in that is Malthazir's offer to improve upon his missing vision if restoration proves unsuccessful, which Garidan can't help but smile about. "I appreciate your help," he says to the elf. "But I've been informed, very firmly, that any improvements will handled by someone else." The smile grows into a proper grin as he indicates the hovering ioun torch, which somehow manages to project a distinct air of offended outrage aimed entirely at Malthazir; it's almost certain that, had it the limbs to do so, there would be crossed arms and a rapidly tapping foot involved. And without even realizing that he's done so, Garidan admits that the stone is a good deal more than it appears to be (though the rest of the party has, no doubt, figured out as much a long time ago).

Niyut's mention of the curse causes the swashbuckler to frown briefly as he tries to figure what she's talking about, until he recalls the lingering effect of the animate dream fought earlier. "You know, in the fuss, I had honestly forgotten about whatever that dream thing did to me," he finally admits with a slightly embarrassed shrug. "And while I don't doubt you about what it might do, I have to say that it's really not that bad at the moment. I just feel incredibly tired and it's a bit hard to focus my thoughts. Still, I rather like my mind and I'll certainly appreciate your efforts to keep it functional." With that, he prepares to leave the ritual site and retrieve the rest of their party as requested, with only a brief pause to allow Truk'tosh to call upon further healing.

So Garidan is off to retrieve Gruskorb, Tacal, and Raektov. Handwave that, or will there be any sort of checks required on Garidan's part during the approach and the trip back?


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Current Health:

Truk'tosh (108/116)
Nethuns (25/58)
Malthazir (62/62)
Niyut (38/71)
Garidan (88/88, Fatigued, Cursed)

My calculations above, have Niyut and Nethuns about half hp, Truk just shy of full and Garidan and Mal at full hp. Please let me know if I have these wrong.

I'll handwave Garidan retrieving the Gruskorb, Raektov and Tacal. Let's call it 3 hours for you all to reconvene at the destroyed Gathering Stone. Niyut works on the magic items; Truk'tosh keeps vigilant watch and Malthazir ponders the universe. Let me know if you cast any other spells during this time, and please update your resources on your character's profile.

Niyut:
You determine the following powers from the items you found among the dead orcs. The number of essences is listed in the event you try to strip the items.

Spell Craft (Magical Falchion) = +1 Furious Falchion, 2 EE's.
Spell Craft (Magical Necklace of Hair and Fangs)= Mage Armor 2/day, Cursed, 1 EE.
Spell Craft (Magical Cestus) = +1 dispelling cestus, 2 EE's.
Spell Craft (Magical Leather Lamellar) = +1 Leather Lamellar, 1 EE's.
Spell Craft (Potion) = Cure Moderate Wounds.
Spell Craft (Enchanted Hands) = Spell Resistance (13), Cursed, 2 EE's.
Spell Craft (Magical Breast Plate) = +1 BP, 1 EE.
Spell Craft (Magical Great Axe) = +1 Impact Greataxe, 3 Ee's.
Spell Craft (Potion): Cure Moderate Wounds.

Offering the blood of the goblin, hobgoblin and elf to the Libre Sanguinem, Niyut sees no new inscriptions upon the pages of the grimoire.

Malthazir:

As Niyut works fervently to identify the items, a sense of dread comes upon you. Trying to better understand the magic that flows into the First Lands, you reach out and touch the leyline with your mind. The flow death from the leyline seems to have grown from what you felt during the battle. It is unstable, you conclude. The destruction of the Gathering Stone has broken some sort of control or governance over the flow of ether through it. You can feel it flare and spark. It's power trying to break through.

The weariness of the day settles upon the group as they reunite among the rubble of the powerless Gathering Stone.

Let me know if I've missed any other actions or questions. Lots to catch up.


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Missed questions:
What is the knowledge and difficulty to determine in game that Dream break Garidan's curse? Niyut conducted an experiment to see if the familiar's blood was reactive to her book, since it is the familiar and not the witch that holds the spells known. What were the results of that?

What's the caster level of these items? I'm trying to determine what I should be rolling to check if these EEs come out as Arcane Essences.

"The chance for an arcane essence from a caster is 25% plus 5% per HD. Anything under 1 HD is 0%. The chance for an arcane essence from a magical item is 25% plus 5% per CL for that item. Any arcane essence obtained from an item decreases the number of ethereal essences for that item by 1."

Are these curios or wonders? If they are curios, Niyut will drain them as she identifies them (except the cursed items which she separates from the rest.) If they are wonders, Niyut will disenchant the axe first.

CSW (Niyut): 3d8 + 8 ⇒ (2, 4, 8) + 8 = 22

CLW (Truk): 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut claims what power she can for these Nightblood items, though she carefully separates the cursed items for further consideration. She doesn't yet know if the curses would corrupt the essences or merely adhere to the items. Once her labor of many minutes, ends she turns her attention to the shattered stones. Her heart weeps that the hag not only has her mother but has also desecrated a site sacred to all five of the remaining tribes. One day, I will restore this place to its former glory.

The spirit guide kneels before the shattered menhir. “Spirits of the Forest of Night, spirits of this glade, guardians of these stones, I beseech you hear me. The Soulbleed has defiled these stones. She seeks to destroy the Dreaming and the First Lands. I beg for your blessing. Give me the strength to defeat her. Give me the wisdom to restore these stones. Help me to bring her to ruin!”

As she entreats the spirits, an emerald green pulse begins to flash in one of her pouches.

Sitting back on her heels Niyut watches as the arcane transmutation essence floats above the shattered menhir. Emerald lightning leaps out from the essence striking three shards of the menhir and the petrified wand given to Niyut by her mother. The four objects are drawn together by the viridian power of the essence. Slowly, they merge together.

The wand is no longer petrified wood. Now it is a green obsidian so dark it is almost black. Much like Niyut’s hair. The wand’s length remains gnarled, but where it twists it reveals sharp edges, and it comes to a wickedly sharp point.

Niyut notices runes now coil the length of the wand. These runes are like the runes that mark Dayrendi. She hears her grandmother whisper, “Fíkeh'semghédôm, you hold the Fang of the Ruination, daughter of my daughter."

Reaching out to grasp Fíkeh'semghédôm, Niyut gives thanks to the spirits that watch over these woods.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Niyut, don't forget to mention IC that you need something to store Verthag's juices in for transport :p. Also, did Verthag use his own ampoule at all, or is that still available to us?

Rejoining the rest of the party after the long walk out to collect their absent members--who'd fortunately experienced nothing nearly so as exciting as the botched fight--Garidan is a bit more comfortable with his strange new form of eyesight. As he enters what looks to be either a temporary resting spot with a curious expression and, when he draws a bit close, the swashbuckler call out to those who've been waiting. "Are we settling for a proper rest, or is this just a short stop before we continue tracking Niyut's target." He considers the others for a silent moment, then continues. "This fight took a lot out of us, so I myself favor a rest to restore ourselves to something a bit more capable, but I do understand that time is of the essence."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

"We are very close to the origin of this Death Leyline. Given the beating we have taken, I don't want to sleep near here. Garidan, can you please tie a rope around Verthag's legs and it over that thick branch? We need to drain his blood, and claim his skull so that we can return his blood and bones to the Living Ancestors. I wish I had a better container to hold his blood. I guess a clay pot will have to do. Speaking of cleaning his skull, could you whip something up that would help scour the flesh from his bones. The quicker we can care for the dead, the quicker we can find a safer spot to rest."

She is looking for something like 40% hydrogen peroxide.

I think it would be rude to not give Verthag's wonders and curios back to his people.

Garidan notices that Niyut is loosely holding her wand. This wouldn't be so odd if it didn't look like the dark green stones littering the clearing.

Niyut is looking at the strange bone prayer beads that the warpriest had been carrying.

Knowledge: Religion: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (6) + 19 = 25 Who are these prayer beads dedicated to? It seems very strange that one of the Night Blood was dedicated to a god.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

I would argue that using that of his supplies that would better improve our own chances of actually returning his bones and juices isn't exactly unacceptable. I mean, had the other side won and taken possession, I very much doubt that they'd be so gracious with his stuff. We could certainly return anything that remains unexpended after, of course.

I suppose that something from either Garidan's or Niyut's stash of alchemical supplies--the nonspecfic ones, not the reagents--would suffice for cleaning the body like that. Just need Valjoen to handwave an appropriate value in expended material.

Garidan shudders faintly at the sudden reminder that the locals have some particular customs that he personally finds just a touch unnerving. "Ah, yes, well, I think I can come up with something that'd do that. Fortunately, it won't take any time to make up, and probably won't require any portions of the alchemical tools that I'm currently using for my other work." Considering the rest of what she intends for Verthag's remains, Garidan's brow furrows in thought, and his blank gaze shifts to Niyut with a curious expression. "You, what, want to return his blood for that pool thing of the Nightblood, right? The one where we got those vials from? I don't know if you need something special for that, but take a few moments to look through our supplies, I've got a number of empty flasks from our time in Eastgate. If those won't do, there is also a keg or two that I could drain and clean out. Oh, and I did pick up some special flasks before we left Haemil," he adds an afterthough as he prepares the rope and looks for the indicated tree branch to loop it over, though the mention of those last flasks is accompanied by an obvious wrinkle of disgust flashing across his face, which is soon explained. "I'd actually meant those to be used for providing us with warm tea while we travel, so if you must use those, I would really appreciate that you clean them thoroughly afterward. I really don't want Verthag flavoring my next drink out of those."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

The spirit guide gives the young fencer a steady look. He isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

"I an not given to carelessness," she tells him primly.

Once Verthag is hoisted into the air, she will place the golden bowl she found in the bowels of Mötùrrim beneath the NightBlood warrior. Taking her adamantine boline she deftly severs Verthag's head from his corpse.

The knife easily cuts through cooling flesh and bone like scissors through silk.

This really is a good knife.

She places his head in her cauldron and watches as his tar-like blood flows into the golden bowl.

Far more viscous than my blood or even my brother's.

"We can give the rest of his body to the flames, but his skull and blood belong with his people.

Once she has two flasks worth of Verthag's black blood, she chills the golden bowl with a cantrip. Next she funnels his now chilled blood into the special flasks. Finally, she seals them tight.

"Thank you, Garidan. You can lower the body. Would you mind dousing his body with some spirits and then dousing the bodies of the other Nightblood dead? We should build a byre. We wouldn't want any undead to arise."

Verthag is placed atop the byre once it is built. The other Nightblood are arrayed around it in positions of surrender and defeat. Niyut invokes spirits of fire known to her clan and the Nightblood dead catch fire.

"Mighty Verthag, you have fallen in battle. Your blood, skull, and weapons -- these we will return to the Living Ancestors. We burn what remains of your body in the tradition of the Firebird. Wreathed in flames ascend to the Dreaming. At your feet lie the corpses of traitors to your people. Drive their conquered spirits before you. They do not have the honor to return to the Living Ancestors. I empower and abjure you to prevent them from arising as the undead. With honor and flame, guard the veil between the world of flesh and the world of spirits as we avenge you and return your hallowed remains to your people."

Niyut intones her blessing upon this honored dead in a loud voice.

I'm guessing that something like 40% hydrogen peroxide would need a check or two. It's product of chemistry and is not a raw ingredient.

Feel free to use his magical items, Niyut kept them separate and won't woodchipper them. Our GM hasn't mentioned what they are yet.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Should probably let Valjoen catch up and make a post to answer us before we get too far :D.


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

Truk’tosh assists in relative silence with the funeral rites while his twin directs himself and Garidan. Their people were close enough with the Nightblood that their last rites weren’t entirely foreign to the twins but that didn’t mean he was comfortable with them. The flames of the Firebird’s pyres purified the spirit and returned the dead’s abandoned flesh to the earth and sky. To preserve blood and bones after death struck him as somehow selfish in a way he struggled to put to words.

As Niyut finishes, Truk’tosh raps the off-hand end of his weapon on the earth and joins in with their clan’s final words. ”Through flames, we are born anew.”


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Niyut is mid-sentence when Malz strides over quickly, interrupting her. "Stop! Stop what you're doing!" He gestures to the group at large, but is fixated on Niyut in particular. "The death leyline, it has become unstable. The death flow has grown uncontrollably. The destruction of the Gathering Stone has broken some sort of control or governance over the flow of ether through it. It is trying to break through. We need to minimize any use of magic and get distance immediately."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

She gives her twin a worried look. "Can you get the others moving towards a spot to rest a safe distance away?"

Turning back to the elven conjurer, "I hear you, Malthazir. All the more reason not to leave bodies for the energy to animate. The Gathering Stones must have been like a dam on a mighty river. When goes the dam, the river seeks to spill its bank."

Her grip tightens on Fíkeh'semghédôm.

It is connected to the Gathering Stones, perhaps it can channel the overflow.

She focus her thought and will on seeing the ley-line.

Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (16) + 19 = 35 Is it possible to redirect the swelling energy towards a more benign and controlled end before it spills forth wildly? Would channeling it through Fíkeh'semghédôm help? Would working with Malthazir help?


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

GM, what are the other lines of power? Would death include necromancy or is there a more appropriate undead line?


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

@Mal: Talks about Leylines and answers your question TLDR: These Primal ley-lines can touch on everything listed in the Elemental Matrix. So it can be pure death, but there are seven other things death touches upon. I'm guessing the Gathering Stones acted something like a filter and a waterwheel.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Current Health:

Garidan (88/88, Fatigued, Cursed)
Gruskorb (-20)
Malthazir (62/62)
Niyut (60/71)
Raektov (-5)
Truk'tosh (116/116)
Nethuns (25/58)

Niyut:

Niyut wrote:
What is the knowledge and difficulty to determine in game that Dream break Garidan's curse?

I'd say Planes given the origin of the curse. DC of 20 would be about right. You jsut need to avoid the crit failure.

Niyut wrote:
Niyut conducted an experiment to see if the familiar's blood was reactive to her book, since it is the familiar and not the witch that holds the spells known. What were the results of that?

The Libre Sanguinem doesn't react to the familiar's blood.

The weapons are Wonders while the other items are curios.

I'm fine with Garidan using 5gp of supplies to make the chemicals to clean Verthag's skull.

The twins go about preparing the funeral pyre. After several hours, Garidan returns with a shaken Raktov and the stoic hobgoblin, Gruskorb. Behind them, the beartrap flies slowly with Tacal's lead rope bound in its steely jaws. They look tired and worn. The forest has taken its toll on them. As Gruskorb recounts their encounter with the wild creatures of gargantuan proportions, Niyut looks curiously at the warpriest's prayer beads. They are nothing like she has seen before. She recounts the stories of progenitors, but finds no connection to them and the beads. The elf's words suddenly bring her back to the present.

Malthazir recalls the teachings of the wise in Greyton. The plane and leyline of Death encompass destruction. They are dominated by hatred and corruption. "Undeath" flows from the intersection of Death and Bone. However, it can spontaneously spring from either leyline where the dominants of the other exist. So, burying a body near the Death Leyline or destroying/defiling something pure near a Bone Leyline would be examples that would bring Undeath into the material world. Also, as a para-element, either leyline could bring Undeath into the world from the ether if left unchecked.

Niyut nods. Such theories make sense given the stories of the Firebird. The Forest of Night has been a place of corruption to her people throughout the ages. No sooner had Malthazir spoke, Raektov's eyes widen and he shouts, pointing towards the smoldering fires. The dead had risen. Four staggering orc corpses trudge towards them. Truk'tosh roared and entered the fray, dispatching them once again in short order. They posed little more than a trivial fight for the druid, but elsewhere such risen undead may prove fatal to the untrained.

Niyut gathered Verthag's breastplate and falchion and turned them over to the swashbuckler. Garidan quickly packed them away, as the oracle pondered the origin of the ampoule taken by the brawling warrior under the Nightblood's village.


Male Noble Elf Wizard 8/Bard 1 | AC 15/10/15 | HP 62/62 | F +3, R +5, W +9 | CMD 12 | Move 30 ft. | Init +6 | Perc +14 (+2 with familiar)

Malz watches the undead be dispatched with a pale face. "I doubt this was the only place that happened. The threat of these undead is not quality, but quantity."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Excellent my Knowledge: Planes check when I diagnosed him should cover that.

Do the beads have any iconography carved into them? If that's the case, then her book on lowlander gods might help.

Niyut slips the prayer beads into her sleeve. A mystery for another time.

"Anywhere near the leyline could have these spontaneous violations of the Veil. I am convinced that the Gathering Stones channeled these energies to prevent such irruptions. We should take the corpses of the sacrificed witches and purify their corpses with fire where we can no longer feel the power of Death. Malthazir, though you cannot restore Garidan's sight, I believe you can use your dreaming ability to break the curse that afflicts him."

She turns and walks to her brother. "Thank you for defending us from the corrupted dead. Truly you are mighty in battle. Please lead us to a place of safety and rest."

While the chemicals scour the flesh from Verthag's skull in her pot, she examines Gruskorb and Raektov's wounds.

Using the last of her innate magic, she allows her grandmother to heal some of the hobgoblin's wounds. Many wounds still remain.

CLW: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

She looks into Raektov's eyes and smiles, "While I have not the strength to spin further blessings from the Ether, the dwarves of Eastgate gave us a gift of a prayer scroll. No doubt that you were very brave, and the war spirit will smile upon you."

She pulls it from her sleeve.

This scroll does not grant her grandmother access to the world of flesh from the Dreaming. Instead she feels Mylesar's brief attention as she unlocks the magic his priests had captured in ink.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

She shivers at the thoughts of the bloody spirit of War and Vengeance. Just as quickly the great spirit's attention turns from her. She is not the twin he cares for.

From their brief connection, Niyut can feel that the great spirit is considering her brother. She had seen the great spirit reach into the world of flesh with fire and wrath during the battle.

What is it about my brother that this great spirit wants him? I trust him not, though I trust Truk with everything.

After seeing the witches' corpses bundled and bound to Tacal's back, she returns to her cauldron to pull out Verthag's skull. Seeing that it needs a few more minutes, she examines the her wand.

To her surprise it has grown more potent. How!? Then she realizes it has absorbed the essences she claimed from the ax. It is unsettling to realize that the wand claimed these essences without her intervention. But I did ask the spirits to aid me in killing the Soul Bleed. Now my wand can do so. Never ask the spirits for anything and then be shocked when they answer. The Fang of Ruination has its own bite.

I'm ready to move on to resting when everyone else is.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

I've marked the required value in raw materials for Verthag's skull bath off of Niyut's alchemical supplies in the campaign's supply spreadsheet. I'll also be collecting the masterwork gear from the fallen foes.

We collected two CMW potions from the fallen as well, may I safely assume minimum caster level for those?

It's a bit of a scramble for the swashbuckler, trying to manage a number of important tasks while not really feeling his best (and that doesn't even account for his eyes), but he manages; the cleaning solution for Verthag's skull is swiftly made and, as Niyut works over the equipment taken from the enemies, draining essences where such are to be had, Garidan examines what's left. After some consideration, he loads the finest pieces onto Tacal's back alongside Verthag's former possessions. "While we're returning Verthag's things to the Nightblood, I believe that the Firebird could likely find use for the best of this stuff themselves. Particularly the pieces that we know are capable of taking an essence."


Female Half Orc Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 (Bound Soul: Sorcerer (Cross-blooded) 1) l HP: 71/71 l AC: 14 (Current AC: 22)/T: 13/FF: 11 (15) l Fort: +6, Ref: +9, W: +11 (+2 v Illusions) l Init: +5 l Per: +20 (+22 in dim or lower light); Darkvision 90' l Movement: 30

Niyut looks up from near her cauldron, where she had been intently staring at her wand for some reason.

She smiles warmly at Garidan. "Well-made weapons are always a blessing in these troubled times. While no doubt they would be a wondrous gift, you might try trading them to the elders for things hard to find in the lowlands."

Garidan feels the Dream Primal Essence shift and move as Niyut speaks almost as if it were trying to escape his pouch.


Bright Tower Maps | Last Haven Table #1 Maps | Last Haven Table #2 Maps

Current Health:

Garidan (88/88, Fatigued, Cursed)
Gruskorb (-12)
Malthazir (62/62)
Niyut (60/71)
Raektov (Full)
Truk'tosh (116/116)
Nethuns (25/58)

@Niyut - when she has time, Niyut will not discover any connection between the beads and the "lowland's" gods.

@Garidan - Yes, unless otherwise noted, I'll always use the minimum CL.


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Garidan frowns thoughtfully as he mulls over the oracle's advice, then nods slowly in agreement. "A good point that, though it would certainly require some thinking to figure out what the Firebird can offer that wouldn't unduly impact their own supplies, but that we can also make use of. Off of the top of my head right now, I can really only think of gathered reagents and material for alchemy," and this is said with a faint expression of longing as he briefly turns his attention to their verdant surroundings and the undoubtedly generous quantities of unharvested treasures within. "And their spellwork in the form of potions and ready spells that we may use for ourselves. And working a proper value is also a concern."


Male Half-Orc Druid 8/Cleric 1 | HP: 116/116 l AC: 26 (30 with buffs, 32 vs the first 3 attacks per round) /T: 12/FF: 24 l Fort: +15*, Ref: +5*, W: +14* l Init: +0 l Per: +15; Low-light vision l Movement: 30 *Hardy: Gain +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities *Familiar:51/51

I've got another CLW prepped.

Slowed by the weight of his injuries, Nethuns' flits about much less than usual. Noticing the tiny elemental spirit's suffering, Truk'tosh offers what little healing magic he has remaining.

CLW: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Hearing his twin's request, Truk'tosh surveys what little he can make of the horizon. "The Forest of Night was a deadly place before the sky broke open and swallowed up the sun and sky. With the dead walking among her trees, safe places to rest will be difficult to find. Do not wander."

Survival: 10 + 15 = 25


Male Aegean Hobgoblin Rogue 8/Druid (Nature Fang) 1 l HP: 87/90 l AC: 24/T: 18/FF: Improved Uncanny Dodge l Fort: +7, Ref: +14, W: +6 l Init: +8 l Per: +13 (+17 v. Traps); Darkvision 60'; See through Water and Earth 10' l Movement: 40'

They left me with the ox and the boy!

The hobgoblin is having trouble deciding whether he should be furious that his companions left him alone to be attacked by a giant beast with a razor sharp horn -- no unicorn this -- or be grateful that he missed whatever laid waste to this clearing.

Gruskorb eyes the trees embedded with obsidian shards. It must have been some explosion to leave this ruin.

His eyes turn towards the treasures that Garidan is strapping to Tacal. Furious, he decides. The horned beast left no treasures when it fled back into these dark woods. Even in this benighted world, treasure has value.

I'm not so proud that I cannot admit to my greed. Niyut laps up essence like honey, but where is my share? I'll not be left with the ox again.

He sighs when the spirit guide confesses to being out of magic. Querkus knows how to heal, but I'm not nearly the channel for natural magic he was. He does enough guarding me from the cold.

He examines their packs for a healer's tools, but of course they don't have any. Malthazir and Niyut rely on magic for everything, but what can they do when their magic runs out? Nothing. Typical. I'm not going to fall asleep still bleeding from being gored.

Gruskorb pulls out two potions that Niyut had given him back during the siege. He pops one.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

He feels much better than he expected to feel, but that doesn't stop him from palming one of the potions that Garidan had stored in Tacal's packs.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 29 ⇒ (17) + 29 = 46

No one will notice. It's not stealing. It's what I'm owed for protecting the boy.

He sighs. When he slipped the potion into his pouch he felt two teeth he had collected from previous battles. All we do is run between chances to die.

Strangely the teeth had fused together. I must have left them too long together with the essences.

He affixes the new trinket to the chimera's tail and his sense of the world changes. I can see through the substance of the ground! I could find precious metals in the stone! I could find gems!


HP 88/88 Panache 6/7 Stamina 10/10 | AC 28/18/20); 26/18/18 w/composite bow | energy resist: 2 negative, 5 fire | CMD 29 | Fort +6 Ref +12 Will +5 | Per +15, Darkvision 60 ft. | Init +7 (+9 w/swashbuckler initiative);
Class and Skills:
Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade) 7/Fighter (Lore Warden) 2 | Acro +19, Bluff +10 Climb +7, Inti +15, Stea +15
Combat:
30 ft. (30 ft.) | Melee +18/+13 (+20/+15 vs. undead) (+2 bane rapier) Ranged +14 (dagger) Ranged +15/+10 (mwk composite shortbow) CMB +11; weapon cord attached: Yes (rapier)

Oh s!%*, he's back! And his return is marked by petty theft :D

5,101 to 5,150 of 5,288 << first < prev | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Talanor, the Bright Tower All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.