SR's - Silent Gods (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven


1,101 to 1,150 of 2,582 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Rat Bastard
Jak Howell wrote:
Jak frowns at the good doctor's observations, "Any way to know if those magics work together? Or do you think they do three distinct functions?"

Sadly, there is no obvious way to figure that out.


As Jak continues straining for any other sounds in the well-room, he considers the well itself. Given what we see and what we've uncovered about the well or the room it's in, does Jak know anything about it?
Knowledge: Local or Planes 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Are there any markings on the floor that could let us know if the Forgotten continued (or succeeded) in squeezing out past this stone?

As he thinks, he goes back to the group, picking up their conversation in a whisper. "I can't hear anything else in there, but if we think the big guy never made it past that rock, I'm inclined to go check out another hallway. If he's in there waiting for us, squeezing through will only leave the first of us open to an ambush. If that's our only option, then we'll deal with it, but I'd like to know if it's our only option before trying."


Rat Bastard

Gotta reward good (if not entirely applicable) rolls. :)

Jak can't add to the discussion about the magical qualities of the fountain - save that it stretches credulity that they are entirely unrelated. Glowing 'good' water isn't native to Mylhaven so something must be creating it, possibly one of the spell effects.

Similarly, he spies no evidence to prove whether the Forgotten has escaped his prison... but he does spy a congealed, black-blooded splat and streak mark trailing through the gap into the fountain room. It seems a fair bet that it is from the Sawtongue head. If so, then the Forgotten has a hell of a reach. The head landed 4' from the gap and was dragged from there.

MAP: Overview (updated)


(hp 11/35, AC 18, T 13, FF 15, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

Where was the Forgotten trapped? In one of the coffins? Also, does Aerik know where it was trapped? Is it safe to assume I was filled in by everyone?


Definitely assume you were filled in. I guess I assumed you were assuming that. :D

The room between the one we're in and the one with the well (directly to our south on the map) has a doorway that's blocked by a big stone. The Forgotten was in that room. When Jak tried toplay along with the forgotten's little game, he jumped out and tried to reach out, but was clearly unable to easily squeeze through. We didn't see him squeeze through, and I was trying to ascertain whether or not we thought he could have gotten out. That help?


(hp 11/35, AC 18, T 13, FF 15, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

Yup, that makes sense, thanks. Maybe he would agree to give us his hand in exchange for his freedom. Lol.


Rat Bastard

My assumption, as well, is that you were informed during the evening of all that happened. The only info you wouldn't have is anything that was in a spoiler and not specifically mentioned by the party to whom the spoiler was addressed.


Marcus recalls the impact of his axe on the 'Teeth' and turns to Ezekiel.

Doc, you think some of your explosives could blast a hole in that rock without bringin' the ceiling down on us?


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Jak wrote:
""Did we bring any rope?"

"That is one thing that I did bring. I have some old hemp rope I brought from the village and it weighs a ton. Well maybe not that much, but certainly a good ten pounds! Do you want to use it? What do you hope to try to do? Maybe we could try and push the rock out of the way. Here give me a hand and let's see if we can make it budge."

Lyrica pushes with all of her strength attempting push the rock up or down, or at least get it to budge.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

"Oh dear Sarenrae, this seems hopeless!"


Rat Bastard
Quoth the Evil DM wrote:
The dimly lit rock also reveals the stone slab blocking the doorway. It is a skillful piece of engineering - it is coming through the floor and ceiling. whether it lowers into the floor or raises into the ceiling, you can't say but it is a formidable bit of hewn rock - every bit as tough as the Teeth of Angarak.

Basically, the slab can move either up or down; you aren't sure which. It is inset into both the floor and ceiling. There is no way to push or pull it.

Ez Only:
I haven't checked the rules but I'm pretty certain, you can't detonate the rock - at least not quickly.


SR:
Nope, energy attacks deal half damage to objects, reduced before applying hardness. And stone's 8 hardness, 15 HP per inch is something I'm not going to get through with my bombs...at this level.

"I'm afraid my bombs are quite powerful enough to get through there. And that's if I could even place them right to do so."


Is it safe to assume all this convo is happening at a quiet whisper? I hope so.

Jak considers, "Well, we're in here for one thing. The Black Hand. My gut says it's the hand of the Forgotten. And since there's no evidence saying he's not in there, I'd like to consider hitting him now. This place has proven dangerous, and we're likely to only waste time, energy, and resources looking for another way to get at him... resources we need to be using to get that hand." He looks at the group, "I don't have any good ideas, but if that door out front is rebuilding itself, time is against us. Do we have any way of going in protected? Create some kind of shield wall while we try to squeeze through?"


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Jak wrote:
"The Black Hand. My gut says it's the hand of the Forgotten. And since there's no evidence saying he's not in there, I'd like to consider hitting him now. "

"I agree! The black hand on the Forgotten is the only thing that makes sense. Time is running short and perhaps that is the most direct approach. Let's go back to where we saw him last."

Jak wrote:
"I don't have any good ideas, but if that door out front is rebuilding itself, time is against us. Do we have any way of going in protected? Create some kind of shield wall while we try to squeeze through?"

"I don't think we have anything to stop it. The question is, do we have any hammers or picks to help us tear down the wall when we need to get out?"


This is where we saw him last. :)


Rat Bastard

I'm just going to point out that the door has only been a third rebuilt since yesterday. Assuming that pace doesn't rapidly accelerate, you have some time.


"I doubt any of us are carrying such tools." Ezekiel stares at the pool before deciding. "There's little we can accomplish out here. One of the other paths lead up, did it not? Perhaps we travel there and see if there's a way to lift this up or down."

stormraven wrote:
I'm just going to point out that the door has only been a third rebuilt since yesterday. Assuming that pace doesn't rapidly accelerate, you have some time.

So now we know the door will rapidly accelerate being rebuilt....


Rat Bastard

OH, Snap! Burn on the DM! :) Hey... wait a second...


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

"Shall I call out for the Forgotten? I am not one to ask for trouble, but at least we may know where old Forgotten has gone to."


Ezekiel Druiminn wrote:
"I doubt any of us are carrying such tools." Ezekiel stares at the pool before deciding. "There's little we can accomplish out here. One of the other paths lead up, did it not? Perhaps we travel there and see if there's a way to lift this up or down."

"I don't have a better idea. Everyone okay with trying to see if we can get above this room?"


"Speakign of the Forgotten," Jak whispers as he looks over at Lyrica. "You said he was like a wight. I have no idea what that means. How do we kill it? And what should we watch out for?"


Rat Bastard

Just to speed up play, unless you love to roleplay this type of information, you can start a sentence and then link the other players to the info, like so:

"Oh. Well it's powers seem cold based and so I think..." Read the spoiler here


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Jak Howell wrote:
"Speakign of the Forgotten," Jak whispers as he looks over at Lyrica. "You said he was like a wight. I have no idea what that means. How do we kill it? And what should we watch out for?"

"Well, from what I understand of this creature, it is powerful and has a strong will. It also has a very long reach and with it, delivers an icy cold touch that will immediately weaken you if you do not resist it. You should be aware that if you are killed by it, you will likely rise as one of his spawn. It has practically no weaknesses, but I believe our weapons should still work against it. If there was any weakness, then it would be the fact that it does not react with lightning speed, but I would not count on it."

Translation of What Lyrica is saying:

The Forgotten is a variant of a Wight, less dangerous in some ways and more dangerous in others.
AC: Pretty Good
CMD: Pretty Good
HP: Quite Good
Saves: OK overall with Reflex being weakest and Will being strongest
Defenses: Typical undead with no DRs
Attacks: Damage + Cold (that translates to a save or suffer Stat damage)
Specials: He's got a long reach (10' range)
If he kills you, you rise as his spawn.
Good News/Bad News: On the bright side, unlike most wights, this one does NOT drain levels. On the downside, he's got a long reach and could do Stat damage to anyone he manages to hit.


Rat Bastard

OR you could do it that way. :P

If you meddling kids have decided to investigate the old haunted amusement park... feel free to tell me which color trail you want to go down.

Reference for the youngsters


(hp 11/35, AC 18, T 13, FF 15, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

does that mean the forgotten is old man withers?


Sorry for my absence today--all day work-thing with not much time.

If Zeke's bombs won't work, we need to find another route. No way we can break through that rock any time soon, and the Forgotten is smart. He's not like to stick his hand where we can chop it. Let's try another path.

The yellow perhaps?

From earlier


Rat Bastard
Aerik Wynn wrote:
does that mean the forgotten is old man withers?

Or I am. :)

Marcus wrote:
The yellow perhaps?

Y'all good with Yellow? Simple majority wins it.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)
Marcus wrote:
'If Zeke's bombs won't work, we need to find another route. No way we can break through that rock any time soon, and the Forgotten is smart. He's not like to stick his hand where we can chop it. Let's try another path."

"If you wish to explore another path, that will be fine with me. I know this is hopeful thinking, but let's just try to keep an eye out for the Forgotten and see if we can sneak up on it."

Yellow is fine with me.


You callin' me yellow? 'cause I ain't no coward. I'm goin' Canary. aka, yellow.

"Agreed, if he did manage to find a way out..."


Rat Bastard

Discretion being the better part of valor, the Drearians withdraw to the unexplored part of the barrow and proceed cautiously down the middle path. It becomes quickly apparent that this side passage and the one exiting the chamber under construction are connected. Seeing no good reason to retread the ground they already passed, they plunge deeper into the crypt along a path that parallels the fungus laden corridor. This one is bone dry thankfully.

After going another 20 paces or so, Marcus motions a halt as the paths diverge. To their left is another chamber stacked with sarcophagi against the far wall, resting beneath an elaborate fresco. In the dim torch-light, the subject of the painting is impossible to make out.

The corridor itself also continues on for another 10 yards or so before turning on a southerly path green. By the subdued lighting it is difficult to say, but the corridor may also have a northerly turning as well yellow.

MAP: Overview


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

At the sight of the sarcophagi, Lyrica tightens her grip on her scimitar and shield, expecting undead to jump out at any time. She looks over the area trying to spot the Forgotten.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

"Sarenrae, guide us safely to this Forgotten creature and give us the strength to smite it down that we may make this world a better place."

If she does not see any undead, then Lyrica takes the time to scan the room with detect evil, looking for the presence of evil auras.


Rat Bastard

Lyrica's eyes tell her nothing more than is revealed by the light Marcus bears. Sweeping the area with her holy sight - beyond the range of the guttering lamp light - reveals...

Lyrica Only:
A faint evil stands motionless in the darkness around F41.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

Lyrica whispers to Marcus and then Ezekiel.

Marcus & Zeke:
"I cannot see it, but I sense a faint evil presence hidden in the darkness. Something or someone stands motionless next to one of the sarcophagi, just beyond our vision. Slowly draw your weapons and let's prepare for battle."


Marcus nods and adjusts his grip on Beula before turning to Ezekiel and whispering:

Zeke, you think you can flush it out with a bomb? Light up the place for a minute so we can see what it is?


Ezekiel quietly whispers back, "Be ready for it." Slowly drawing out one of his catalysts, he suddenly lashes forward, throwing the flask itno the room.

Target intersection near where Lyrica indicated.

bomb + PBS: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7
Since targeting intersection, 6 damage if in area, reflex DC 14 for half.


Rat Bastard

Ezekiel mixes his concoction and hurls the glowing flask towards the rear corner of the room. His throw misses his allies and finds the slender gap between the walls (based on his position). The throw is accurate but doesn't have quite enough muscle on it. It drops short by several paces and splashes across the floor before igniting in a explosion of green flame that casts much of the room in a lurid light before it descends into darkness once more.

It is enough to see what waits in the corner - briefly. Crouching atop a sarcophagus like a gargoyle - and moving just as little - is something Lyrica recognizes all too well. It is a thick-boned, malformed, skeletal figure complete with tatters of skin and dried sinews. Flickering pinpoints of red light shine out from the long-muzzled skull. Over what remains of its hulking form is a set of ornate leatherish armor that includes an odd helmet that protects the creature's neck in something akin to a lion's mane.

Its claws click on the sarcophagus as the creature suddenly goes from complete stillness to frightful action with a quick turn and cock of its head as it regards the intruders. With a creak of dry joints, it begins to move off the coffin as darkness engulfs the room once again.

Initiative rolls, please.

The last known position of your opponent is marked with a red cross. That area is again dark. Also, be aware of your sight limitations. Marcus and Lyrica can see most of the room. Ezekiel can see a narrow swatch about 5' wide that leads directly to the red cross. Jak and Aerik can't see beyond the entrance-way of the room.

K:Religion DC:11:
It's a Skeleton - DR:5/bludgeoning

K:Local DC:11:
It's a Gnoll.

Bomb Stuff:
Taking the range (45') into account, you are out of PBS range and that would make it a miss against the intersection - ATT 6(-4 for range) vs AC:5 - unless I've got the rules wrong.
Direction 1d8 ⇒ 1 ; 3 range increments = 3 squares short


Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
.
Is the updated map up? Last map image I can find doesn't have a red X. Given that, I'll roll the knowledge: local, if Jak can't see the thing, disregard.
.
Knowledge: Local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Rat Bastard

Sorry, forgot the map update. Keep your K:Local roll. As soon as the beastie is in sight, it applies.

MAP: Woot


Thanks, stormraven. Once I can see him, I'll have Jak relay the info.
.
Also, iIt probably goes without saying, guys, but keep in mind that there could be other baddies in there.


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

Knowledge, Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


That was a clutch Detect Evil, btw, Lyrica Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


(hp 11/35, AC 18, T 13, FF 15, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

yup, a pallys evil detection is a pretty handy thing to have around. especially when none of us have dark/lowlight vision. :)

Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Inish: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

SR:
Honestly, I only glanced at the map and didn't figure range or anything. Got a bit cocky about 'meh, ac 5, I'll hit' and just rolled it without looking. Sorry about that, and I'll try to do better next time :(


(hp 38/38, AC 17, T 11, FF 11, Initiative +1, Perception +5, Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10)

I am glad that Lyrica is proving useful. I still feel like I have some work to do to develop her personality.

"There it is!" Lyrica whispers. "A skeleton! Prepare your blunt weapons! This fiend will resist most of your attacks with blades!"

Lyrica sheathes her scimitar and draws out her trusty wooden club to prepare for battle.


Rat Bastard

Ez:
Relax, my man. It is no big deal. I think your miss makes for a more dramatic scene in any event and it is all good fun to me. :) I just had to brush up on the rules which is no problem. I get lazy on those sometimes. Besides, it isn't like you are the only one throwing down the odd hasty post. And this isn't the big baddie of the adventure... so you got some leeway.

'Scuse me, gotta do a piece of business here under the prying eyes of the other nosy players. ;P

Monster Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Rat Bastard

Darkness falls and all that can be heard is the dull clattering of bones and the scratch of claws...

GO!

Round: 1

ORDER: Jak, Marcus, 'Sticks', Aerik, Ez, Lyrica

MAP: Bone Rattle

A's HPs: 14|14
E's HPs: 10|10
J's HPs: 10|10
L's HPs: 15|15
M's HPs: 14|14


Sorry; didn't realize we were ready to roll here.

Jak pauses at the whispered conversation, and he's about to ask what they're gabbing about when Zeke tosses one of his alchemical cocktails into the room. "I guess it's go time." he mutters as he rushes forward, drawing his whip as he lets his torch light pour into the dark room.

Round 1
Draw whip
Move to K.35

[spoiler=status]HP 10/10
AC 17 T13 FF14
CMD 16 FF 13
Fort +2 Reflex +5 Will +3
---> +2 vs. Fear (Courageous)


Rat Bastard

Jak's torch reveals the hulking creature coming off the sarcophagus - the claws and muzzle full of sharp canines glimmer in the light.

Map Updated


Jak recoils when the torchlight hits their opponent, "Then it's a gnoll skeleton, so make of that what you will."

SR's knowledge local spoiler indicated it was a gnoll... so... i'm not sure what info we should be taking from that. Pack hunter? Watch out for annoying yip-yip-yips? :D


Rat Bastard

Actually, it's of no particular combat relevance save that Lyrica was curious as to what the creature was when she battled one the first time. It is also a hint into the odd history of the area... You've got a gnoll and a hyena in ceremonial armor presumably guarding or buried in an ancient tomb. What up wit dat?
And for those of you with a more paranoid bent... you might be wondering if this is foreshadowing. >:) Keep wondering, b+%!$es.


Do I have Light on Beula or the bracelet?

1,101 to 1,150 of 2,582 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Silent Gods All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.