Of Kings and Commoners - Kingmaker AP

Game Master RPGGGM

With the heart of the Stolen Lands explored and the bandits who ruled there scattered, the long-contested realm finally lies open for pioneers and settlers to stake their claims.:
Amid the rush of opportunistic travelers, the PCs find themselves stewards over a new domain, tasked with the responsibility of guiding and guarding a fledgling nation struggling to grow upon a treacherous borderland. Yet the threats to this new nation quickly prove themselves greater than mere bandits and wild beasts, as the monstrous natives of the hills and forests rampage forth to slaughter all who have trespassed upon their territory. Can the PCs hold the land they’ve fought so hard to explore and tame? Or will their legend be just one more lost to the fangs of the Stolen Lands?

The NEW Charter! | NEW Avalon (test) | NEW Party Loot (test) | The Trading Post | Regional Map Folio | Tactical Map Folio


11,301 to 11,350 of 11,544 << first < prev | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | next > last >>

I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬

Conditions Dark lighting, and forest terrain

Party Conditions haste, bless, Inspired rage!

Round 4! (Theme ♬)
The Bold May Act!
_________________
__ Durgan
-22 hp
__ Erevenywg
__ Zokon
__ Balzeros
__ Serena
-19 hp
__ Alia
__ Illthir
-16 hp, (prone?)
__ Fergus
-11 hp
__ ice trolls (dk blue -43 hp; lt blue -16 hp; purple -34 hp)
__ winter wolves (black down; gray -26 hp)
__ Male prisoner

Map updated.

Zokon Santyev wrote:
"Erevenwyg, can you make fire? If so can you burn any troll after they have been knocked down?"

A quick note about the regeneration ability in Pathfinder:

PSRD - Regeneration (Ex) wrote:

A creature with this ability is difficult to kill. Creatures with regeneration heal damage at a fixed rate, as with fast healing, but they cannot die as long as their regeneration is still functioning (although creatures with regeneration still fall unconscious when their hit points are below 0). Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, cause a creature’s regeneration to stop functioning on the round following the attack. During this round, the creature does not heal any damage and can die normally. The creature’s descriptive text describes the types of damage that cause the regeneration to cease functioning.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage are not healed by regeneration. Regeneration also does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Regenerating creatures can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts if they are brought together within 1 hour of severing. Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.


The man in the circle looks up from ground a troll's javelin in his flank to nearest cluster of companions with a pained look on his face. It's a look that says "What are you still doing here!?" It is the look of a man contemplating an impossible choice.

He looks over to the girl her face hidden in her arms and seems to come to a decision.


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

Although he doesn't like leaving Fergus to the other wolf, Durgan sees Illthir tripped and moves to aid her. Illthir's foe is wounded and hopefully he can finish it off.

He accepts the power of Illthir's Raging Song.

Attack Grey, Haste, Bless, Inspired Rage: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 2 = 8

Hasted Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Spirit Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Durgan doesn't know Argentov Lind or what odd plan involves getting impaled on a troll's javelin.

If Illthir happens to kill the wolf with the AOO before Durgan goes, then he will attack Yellow instead.


Male
statuses:
haste, mage armor, shield, magic weapon, bless, inspired rage
Image of Fergus Dwarf Wizard 5 | AC:12(16) T:12 FF:10(14) | CMD:17 | hp: 45/45 | Fort:+6(+3) Ref:+3(+3) Will:+6(+3) | Spd 20' | Init +3 | Perc: +3, SensM:+4 |darkvision

As the wolf bounds towards fergus he lowers his giant sticker, attempting to strike it once it is close.

AoO,haste,bless,magic: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 1 + 1 = 19
damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (5, 1) + 5 = 11

Fergus lets out an uncharacteristic Harrumph! as the magic of the song of rage takes hold before doing a quick backstep, from the wolf. Going back to back with Durgan and serena before striking at the wolf twice more as the sphere of flame winks out.

Attack,haste,bless,magic,inspired rage: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 27
damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 2) + 7 = 14

Attack2,haste,bless,magic,inspired rage: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 27
damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (2, 5) + 7 = 14

HP: -11, AC 20, 24 vs giants, 5ft step, full attack


Female Half-elf Paladin 3/Cleric of Sarenrae 2 || HP 26/45 (45/45 nonlethal) || AC 22/10 Tch/22 FF || F+12 R+5 W+14 || CMB +6 CMD 16/16 FF || Init +0 || Perception +6, low-light vision

Seeing the troll coming and hearing more wolves on the way, Serena does something that she has never done before. She gives herself over to Illthir's inspired rage. She feels the heat rising in her core, her anger beginning to cloud her eyes with a blood-red haze. She accepts the emotion, letting it fuel her strength.

Attack Troll: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 27 (haste, bless, inspired rage) Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 + 1 = 13 (bless, inspired rage)
Attack Troll: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 26 (haste, bless, inspired rage) Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 1 + 1 = 12 (bless, inspired rage)


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

@Serena - don't forget you also get the attack from Spirit Totem. It attacks at +7 for 1d4+4 (although it is negative energy). When this battle is over, Durgan can share his story about the first time he accepted the 'blessing' of Rage...


"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, girl. Let the hate flow through you."


Human Grasping Vine of the Wood 5| HP: 29/41 | AC: 20 T: 12 FF: 18 CMD: 15 | F+3 R+3 W+9 | 20' | Init +2 | Perception +24, SensM +5, Nature/Planes/Spellcraft +10
Tracked Resources:
1st 3+1/5+1, 2nd 1+1/3+1, 3rd 2+1/2+1; Extend 1/3; SwP 2/2 +1 Suggestion

Balzeros can't help but shiver as the howls echo all around him. "We will be overwhelmed soon, we must stand together to fight or begin to flee!" he warns the others, slinging fire over Serena's head.

"The trolls must be stopped dead or we will be fighting them all night!" he reminds the group.
________
Produce Flame (Haste, Bless) vs Light Blue (Touch): 1d20 + 5 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 1 + 1 = 241d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Status: | Hp 34/35 | AC 18/12/16 [17/11/15] | Uncanny Dodge | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +6 [+8/+4/+8]; +4 vs non-lethal cold, sonic, bard or language dependent | CMD 18 | Init +8 | Per +11; low-light vision | Sense Motive +15 |
Inspired Rage:
+2 Str/Con, +2 Will, -1 AC, rage limitations; lesser Spirit Totem: +7 1d4+4 negative energy

AoO!

Oh no! briefly passes through Illthirs mind before the wolf tries to do the same. She tries to get her bardiche up and swat the beast out of the air somehow. Smack!!

To Hit!: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 1 = 21

Damage?: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

---

Finding herself at the ground Illthir grasps for some dirt to fling at the attacking foes. That of course was only a distraction for the real distraction - a glitterdust spell - that would hopefully let her slip away!

Concentration (DC 19): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

If success cast Glitterdust on grey wolf and purple troll. DC 17 Will

The spirits around Illthir tries to help and lash out at the nearest foe!

To Hit!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Damage?: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Skills:
Perc:+10|Stealth:+12|Acro+10|Climb/Swim +7|SM+9|Sur+9|Heal+5|KN Dun/Lo +5|Bluff/Diplo/Intim+4|Ride+8||Disguise+6|UMD+2|BGS:Craft:Bow+5|KN Geography +5|Kn Nob +10| Kn Hist +2| Appraise +2| Lore:Kobold +5: Ling:Draconic|Ha +4
HP:50/51|AC:19|T:14|FF:15|CMB:+8|CMD:22|Fort:+8|Ref:+7|Will:+3|Init:+4 | Slayer 3 Fighter WM 2

Zokon evaluates the scene and decides to fire at the Wolf, figuring to take down an opponent he knows will stay down then go the trolls.

Zokon fires 3 shots due to haste and rapid shot

+1 Darkwood Composite Longbow Rapid Shot+Deadly Aim+bless+haste: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19 damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

HASTE +1 Darkwood Composite Longbow Rapid Shot+Deadly Aim+bless+haste: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 2 = 10 damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

+1 Darkwood Composite Longbow Rapid Shot+Deadly Aim+bless+haste:: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 2 = 26 damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


Arcane Pool 1/4 | HP: 30/30 HP | AC: 21 / T: 13 / FF: 18 | Fort: +5, Ref: +4, Will: +4 | M. Touch: +6, R. Touch: +6 | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | Init: +3, Perception: +9 |

Honestly, at this point, I have no idea which targets are still up and which are down. I'd prefer firing at opponents already heavily wounded. If both Wolves are down, I'll default to Purple Troll, who is threatening a prone party member.

The battle was chaos - enemies appearing, weapons brought to bear against them, blood, steel, and arrows. The two Trolls had retreated, no doubt waiting for their wounds to heal. Unfortunate, but now was not the time for pursuit - not with so many other enemes pressing against their lines. Slowly moving further forward, shifting only a bit between her shots, the Elf Maiden picked a target and shot twice more.

Attack, Enhancement, Haste, Bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 19 Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 plus Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Attack, Enhancement, Haste, Bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 23Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 plus Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 6


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬
Balzeros of the Narl wrote:
Balzeros can't help but shiver as the howls echo all around him. "We will be overwhelmed soon, we must stand together to fight or begin to flee!" he warns the others, slinging fire over Serena's head.

Just remember even though it is pretty easy to hit a troll with a touch attack that Balzeros has a -8 (firing into melee, through soft cover AKA Serena). I've been taking that into account but you should know for positioning.

The eldritch fire strikes the troll, even as Serena strikes it repeatedly. The giant roars and finally collapses.

Fergus roughs up the the oncoming (yellow) wolf. Backing up to spear it again. Eventually, Alia finish it with two shafts.

Illthir is not (at this point) prone. Her AoO damage spoiled the wolf's trip attempt.

Green notices someone weaving magic, and....

green long longbow v Illthir (readied, into melee, soft cover): 1d20 + 7 - 8 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 8 = 19 damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 3) + 3 = 10
THREAT!
confirm?): 1d20 + 7 - 8 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 8 = 14 additional damage: 4d6 + 6 ⇒ (1, 4, 3, 2) + 6 = 16 hit, no crit

Illthir's nearly concentration wavers as a sapling-sized arrow scraps her arm.

Illthir concentration v damage (DC 22): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

gray will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
purple will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

The troll claws at it's face. While the wolf--

random 'the nearest foe' determination (gray, purple): 1d2 ⇒ 1

Zokon Santyev wrote:
Zokon evaluates the scene and decides to fire at the Wolf, figuring to take down an opponent he knows will stay down then go the trolls.

random 'the wolf' determination (gray, yellow): 1d2 ⇒ 1

The gray wolf falls to random dumb luck! (Possibly a meteor strike.) If you can, please be specific in your targeting. The bad guys are colors for a reason beyond aesthetics--mostly.

Whew! I think that's everybody.


"Zo-Khan, the trolls are not being knocked down that much!" exclaims Erevenywg.


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬

will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

The last of the trolls (lt blue) goes all defensive while it rubs the sparkles out of its eyes.

The howls get closer, but new threats do not seem to emerge.

Conditions Dark lighting, and forest terrain

Party Conditions haste, bless, Inspired rage!

Round 5! (Theme ♬)
The Bold May Act!
_________________
__ Durgan
-22 hp
__ Erevenywg
__ Zokon
__ Balzeros
__ Serena
-19 hp
__ Alia
__ Illthir -26 hp
__ Fergus -11 hp
__ Male prisoner delays
__ ice trolls (purple -29 hp; lt blue down; green ready)

Map updated.


Arcane Pool 1/4 | HP: 30/30 HP | AC: 21 / T: 13 / FF: 18 | Fort: +5, Ref: +4, Will: +4 | M. Touch: +6, R. Touch: +6 | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | Init: +3, Perception: +9 |

Another step forward, another pair of arrows. Almost mechanically, Alia kept moving, slowly, taking aim and releasing arrows seeking her enemies weak spots.
At the current time, that meant the troll hiding in the shadows(Green) - still dimly visible to her.

Attack, Enhancement, Haste, Bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 23 Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 plus Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 4
20% Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 56
Attack, Enhancement, Haste, Bless: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 22 Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 plus Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 4
20% Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 66


Skills:
Perc:+10|Stealth:+12|Acro+10|Climb/Swim +7|SM+9|Sur+9|Heal+5|KN Dun/Lo +5|Bluff/Diplo/Intim+4|Ride+8||Disguise+6|UMD+2|BGS:Craft:Bow+5|KN Geography +5|Kn Nob +10| Kn Hist +2| Appraise +2| Lore:Kobold +5: Ling:Draconic|Ha +4
HP:50/51|AC:19|T:14|FF:15|CMB:+8|CMD:22|Fort:+8|Ref:+7|Will:+3|Init:+4 | Slayer 3 Fighter WM 2

One of the wolves was already noted as being down previously

Can I see the troll?

If so Zokon will use studied target on the troll and fire a single arrow

+1 Darkwood Composite Longbow - Deadly Aim+bless+haste+st: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Human Grasping Vine of the Wood 5| HP: 29/41 | AC: 20 T: 12 FF: 18 CMD: 15 | F+3 R+3 W+9 | 20' | Init +2 | Perception +24, SensM +5, Nature/Planes/Spellcraft +10
Tracked Resources:
1st 3+1/5+1, 2nd 1+1/3+1, 3rd 2+1/2+1; Extend 1/3; SwP 2/2 +1 Suggestion

With a path finally cleared, Balzeros runs for the prisoners. Dragging a hand along the tall stone to assist his turn, he slows as he nears the duo. "Can you move? That's... a decent amount of blood, will you make it for now or not?"
________
Forgot about all that, will include from now on, thanks GM! Took a double move to get to the prisoners. With the heal skill, Balzeros can only stabilize if needed.


Status: | Hp 34/35 | AC 18/12/16 [17/11/15] | Uncanny Dodge | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +6 [+8/+4/+8]; +4 vs non-lethal cold, sonic, bard or language dependent | CMD 18 | Init +8 | Per +11; low-light vision | Sense Motive +15 |
Inspired Rage:
+2 Str/Con, +2 Will, -1 AC, rage limitations; lesser Spirit Totem: +7 1d4+4 negative energy

"Ow ow ow!!" Illthir nearly flubbs her spell as she's so rudely shot. These guys were a tough crowd! Luckily she had some practice with those, even if they usually just hurt her pride instead of body. "They don't like magic!"

She takes solace in her song - and the fact that the nearest troll does not seem to see her correctly. Well let's put it down before it does! First the spirits lash out then she steps back and swings her fishy weapon. Have at thee!

Spirit attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Spirit damage?: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

5' step back

Swing!: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 8 + 1 = 11

Damage?: 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Heal 1 more hp via Skald's Vigor :)


Male
statuses:
haste, mage armor, shield, magic weapon, bless, inspired rage
Image of Fergus Dwarf Wizard 5 | AC:12(16) T:12 FF:10(14) | CMD:17 | hp: 45/45 | Fort:+6(+3) Ref:+3(+3) Will:+6(+3) | Spd 20' | Init +3 | Perc: +3, SensM:+4 |darkvision

The chaos of battle is like riding a bike, once you got used to it once, it never bothered you the same. He had been angry in fights before, but this time it was different, though whether by choice or force he stops thinking about it and steps up and strikes out at the remaining troll(purple).

attack1: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 19
damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (3, 6) + 7 = 16

attack2: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 21
damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 5) + 7 = 17

5ft, full attack. AC is 20 (24 vs giant subtype)


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

Better safe than sorry, Illthir.
Durgan ceases his acceptance of the Rage this round. He moves between Illthir and the troll (taking an AOO from the troll in the process, at AC 33), and casts a spell to heal the skald's wounds.
Giving up Silence for Cure Moderate Wounds.

He doesn't bother to cast defensively. On the off chance the troll has Combat Reflexes, he is still AC 33.
CMW: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (1, 1) + 5 = 7
Well that's lousy.


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬
Zokon Santyev wrote:
One of the wolves was already noted as being down previously

One of three.

Even blinded the troll evades most of the danger coming it's way but between them Fergus and Zokon finally bring the giant down.

Upon seeing this the last visible troll (green) retreats back into the forest.

Erevenywg rushes forward, and breaths a 15' cone of fire, right past Serena upon the nearest fallen troll.... I'll just let that sink in for moment.

Conditions Dark lighting, and forest terrain

Party Conditions haste, bless, Inspired rage!

Round 5! (Theme ♬)
The Bold May Act!
_________________
__ Durgan -22 hp
__ Erevenywg
__ Zokon
__ Balzeros
__ Serena -19 hp
__ Alia
__ Illthir -15 hp
__ Fergus -11 hp
__ Male prisoner
__ ice trolls (purple down; lt blue down; green ready)

Map updated.


Balzeros of the Narl wrote:
With a path finally cleared, Balzeros runs for the prisoners. Dragging a hand along the tall stone to assist his turn, he slows as he nears the duo. "Can you move? That's... a decent amount of blood, will you make it for now or not?"

"Don't worry about me! Quick! Take the girl, before more show up! Don't worry about me!" shouts the man. Getting to his feet he pulls the spear from his side, and tosses it away. "I might be able to cover your escape."


Skills:
Perc:+10|Stealth:+12|Acro+10|Climb/Swim +7|SM+9|Sur+9|Heal+5|KN Dun/Lo +5|Bluff/Diplo/Intim+4|Ride+8||Disguise+6|UMD+2|BGS:Craft:Bow+5|KN Geography +5|Kn Nob +10| Kn Hist +2| Appraise +2| Lore:Kobold +5: Ling:Draconic|Ha +4
HP:50/51|AC:19|T:14|FF:15|CMB:+8|CMD:22|Fort:+8|Ref:+7|Will:+3|Init:+4 | Slayer 3 Fighter WM 2

I've only seen two wolves on the map...

Noting the troll falling "Burn that troll."


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

"I'm not running, and you'd best explain yourself," says Durgan to the stranger.

"Someone make sure the downed wolves are dead, and I'll channel to heal."


"There's no time!" says the man. "They are some sort of large scouting party. Return to your people, and warn them. Take the girl. She was already captive when they brought me here."


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

"And what exactly are you going to do? Who are you that you claim you can hold off an army of trolls?"

Durgan suspects this man is spinning a tale of some kind so he can play hero.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


Human Grasping Vine of the Wood 5| HP: 29/41 | AC: 20 T: 12 FF: 18 CMD: 15 | F+3 R+3 W+9 | 20' | Init +2 | Perception +24, SensM +5, Nature/Planes/Spellcraft +10
Tracked Resources:
1st 3+1/5+1, 2nd 1+1/3+1, 3rd 2+1/2+1; Extend 1/3; SwP 2/2 +1 Suggestion

Balzeros hears and feels the fire, but it isn't until he throws a quick look behind him that his eyebrows raise. Did she just... BREATH FIRE? What is she?!

Shaking his head to clear it, he shrugs in response to the man's words and gives the girl his full attention. "We're going to take you to safety now, ok?" Tentatively, he reaches towards her and will put her over his shoulder as gently as he can. Not gonna stop him if he wants to die a hero.

"I can cover our escape too, I say we group up and run!" he calls out to the others.

________
Is the girl bound? Balzeros doesn't try to fix that unless it prevents her from leaving here, but he will slip her his dagger. IF we decide to run, Balzeros will cast Pass without a Trace on the group, then entangle, sleet storm, and thorny entangle as needed while we make our way back to the boat. GM, why do all out games have boats in them?! :P


Male
statuses:
haste, mage armor, shield, magic weapon, bless, inspired rage
Image of Fergus Dwarf Wizard 5 | AC:12(16) T:12 FF:10(14) | CMD:17 | hp: 45/45 | Fort:+6(+3) Ref:+3(+3) Will:+6(+3) | Spd 20' | Init +3 | Perc: +3, SensM:+4 |darkvision

Fergus shakes his head and the fog of anger with it.

Phew. Sorry about that all, just can't stand people ruining my clothes. They aren't cheap after all. Seeing the girl, Fergus moves over to her as Balzeros picks up her up. He draws a tiny vial and drops no more than the tiniest drops of red liquid on her before uttering a phrase. Kathor irisiv a small flash of magic is channeled through the emerald gem clasp of his beard.

That should keep her alive, we can heal once we get further away from this spot. I doubt our enemies will stay gone for long. Grab him too and lets get out of here.


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

Durgan shakes his head. "Why are you all so intent on running away? I am well prepared to fight trolls.
Why take this man's word?"

He addresses the man. "When I first saw you, you seemed to be trying to convey that you had everything under control and that we should leave. How exactly do you have everything under control? Did you have the means to free yourself and slay all these foes? If so, why stay chained up?
What is going on here?"

And he turns to the girl. "Is there anything you want to tell me about him?"

Durgan will ensure the wolves are dead and channel to heal.
Channel 1 of 3: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 4) = 14

Durgan doesn't have any skill at Spellcraft, but he has a strong suspicion. I only know of one way that a wizard can heal. He looks ashen with shock. "Fergus, did you just... if you just did what I think you did... look, I can heal. Abundantly. From my wand, from my magic, from the power of Abadar. There is no need for the 'gift' you just resorted to. Not somebody I would accept a gift from. Please do not use that on me, ever, not even to save my life."
He's speaking a bit obliquely in order to not freak out the girl, but it is clear that Durgan is extremely disturbed by the spell himself.

With a druid, cleric, cleric/paladin, ranger, and skald, we have plenty of actual healing. One reason I think we can stay and fight (the other reason being that I think something else is going on here).


Male
statuses:
haste, mage armor, shield, magic weapon, bless, inspired rage
Image of Fergus Dwarf Wizard 5 | AC:12(16) T:12 FF:10(14) | CMD:17 | hp: 45/45 | Fort:+6(+3) Ref:+3(+3) Will:+6(+3) | Spd 20' | Init +3 | Perc: +3, SensM:+4 |darkvision

Fergus said to fall back, not run away. Staying in this position is likely a bad tactical idea to Fergus. That and any fighting with the prisoners around poses a risk of them getting caught up in it. Especially if they are free. Also, had it prepared, so figured it would be a quicker way then checking to make sure all enemies are dead. (was unsure whether or not we had a time limit on the girl's life. As I may have misread about her bleeding A LOT of blood. also, technically wizards can heal via celestial healing, its just really bad haha.

Fergus shakes his head with a sigh. I know you don't like it Durgan, but there is no reason that something... He glances to the girl quickly before continuing. ..of its nature can't be used for good. He gives Durgan a long, but non confrontational stare.

However, If that's how you feel, I won't even in the worst of cases. Just know that I haven't, and don't use it often. I'm not always blessed to be around one such as yourself after all. He says with a small smile as Durgan's magic heals the freezer burn from his skin. He lets it end at that before continuing.

As for withdrawing, I though you knew me better. Just because I said we should fall back a ways, doesn't mean I'm for limping away like a hurt cat. Staying here, he says pointing to the ground Is not tactically sound. If we want to fight, we should force them to come to us, especially now that we have what we came here for. He points to the ridges and wood line as he makes his point.

If there are more, especially as many as the lad here claims, letting them surrounded us on high ground, in the dark, won't end well. We can fall back to higher ground, ground we decide to fight on, and give ourselves an advantage with that. As I was aware, we didn't come to kill, as much as we came to rescue. If we fight with those two, our prime mission is still at risk of failing and If we have to risk that I'd rather do it on a spot we decide to do it on.


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

There are a few rarer ways for wizards to heal, like Spell Sage or the Faith Magic discovery.

"I'd like to know what's going on, first, before we try to plan tactics.
This situation doesn't add up.
Did they kidnap the girl as bait for the young man here?
Then why did they just capture and not kill him?
Or was he bait for somebody else? Who? Not us. The trolls could not have known we were on that boat, would scout into the woods, and would get off the boat to come all this way.
Why was the young man so confident in his ability to deal with the trolls, when they had already defeated and captured him?
Was this something he planned - a staged battle to impress the girl? Why else would he be confident while being chained up?
Again, what is going on here?"


Durgan Far-Walker wrote:

"And what exactly are you going to do? Who are you that you claim you can hold off an army of trolls?"

Durgan suspects this man is spinning a tale of some kind so he can play hero.

dice:
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

He certainly seems to be hiding something, but making himself a hero doesn't seem to be it.

Some other notes. THe man seems in his 20's while girl is probably somewhere between 13 to 15 in human years (not that that means much in a world with Game of Thrones rules).

"They were trying to find out what we knew about them which for me is nothing. Now take her and go!"


Arcane Pool 1/4 | HP: 30/30 HP | AC: 21 / T: 13 / FF: 18 | Fort: +5, Ref: +4, Will: +4 | M. Touch: +6, R. Touch: +6 | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | Init: +3, Perception: +9 |

Alia nocks another arrow and keeps her vision on the periphery of the dim lights, watching for any trolls to return into her field of view.
While she keeps her guard up, she steps closer to the others:"How are the prisoners?"
She spares a glance at the pair, then fails to keep her face from showing surprise:"Mister Lind, was it? Fancy meeting you here of all places. Good thing we came by. Who is the girl?"

With a few steps, she closes the distance to the others, making sure Zokon follows along (if he needs botting...)
"What is the hold-up? There were more howls, all around, and the trolls will have healed up shortly. They are easily startled by fire, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers."
She points towards the highest cliff surrounding the area:"We should make for the high ground, now. We can figure out what exactly is going on in a more defensible location!"
Alia enhances a new Arrow with Light and fires it at the proposed location, so the others can see where she suggests they go. Still the 30 feet high ground with 2 paths leading up...


Alia of the Blade wrote:
She spares a glance at the pair, then fails to keep her face from showing surprise:"Mister Lind, was it? Fancy meeting you here of all places. Good thing we came by. Who is the girl?"

"I don't know. Wait, you're Scarlet's friend, right? Alia? I only just met the girl. I don't even know her name. She doesn't speak."


Erevenywg stops, and gulps fire as Alia draws near. "Al-Lia! Do not enter the circle!"


Arcane Pool 1/4 | HP: 30/30 HP | AC: 21 / T: 13 / FF: 18 | Fort: +5, Ref: +4, Will: +4 | M. Touch: +6, R. Touch: +6 | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | Init: +3, Perception: +9 |

Alia was just about to respond to Argentov when Erevenywg interrupts their talk - "Why, whats...", Alia begins, then retrieves her Wand instead, casting Detect Magic from it and looking at the circle while storing it in the back of her belt again.
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
"Balzeros, hold there for a moment, will you?"


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬

Since we are still in rounds, I'm going to let other folks catch up first. So what (specifically) is everyone doing this round (let's call it round 6) besides talking?


Erevenywg darts off to breath fire upon another ice troll.


Female Half-elf Paladin 3/Cleric of Sarenrae 2 || HP 26/45 (45/45 nonlethal) || AC 22/10 Tch/22 FF || F+12 R+5 W+14 || CMB +6 CMD 16/16 FF || Init +0 || Perception +6, low-light vision

Is the troll nearest Serena down? If so, she takes a moment to blast it with a firebolt to keep it down. Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"If we are going to retreat, then do it! I will cover our escape!"


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬
Balzeros of the Narl wrote:

"I can cover our escape too, I say we group up and run!" he calls out to the others.

________
Is the girl bound?

By one ankle to one of the megaliths with a 5'-length of chain driven into the stone. Shackles basically. Lind seems shackled the same way.

Balzeros of the Narl wrote:
Balzeros doesn't try to fix that unless it prevents her from leaving here, but he will slip her his dagger.

The girl takes the knife finally looking up at Balzeros with big puppy-dog eyes.

Balzeros of the Narl wrote:
IF we decide to run, Balzeros will cast Pass without a Trace on the group, then entangle, sleet storm, and thorny entangle as needed while we make our way back to the boat. GM, why do all out games have boats in them?! :P

So like in Apocalypse NOW! we can learn to never ever get off of them.

Conditions Dark lighting, and forest terrain

Party Conditions haste, bless, Inspired rage!

Round 6! (Theme ♬)
The Bold May Act!
_________________
__ Durgan -8 hp {channeling}
__ Erevenywg {breathing fire}
__ Zokon
__ Balzeros
__ Serena
-4 hp
__ Alia {detect magic}
__ Illthir -1 hp
__ Fergus {infernal healing}
__ Argentov Lind

Map updated.


I'm going for 'fierce' here people--fierce! | The Trading Post | Tactical Map | Region | Chase Theme ♬
Serena Mistcastle wrote:

Is the troll nearest Serena down? If so, she takes a moment to blast it with a firebolt to keep it down.

"If we are going to retreat, then do it! I will cover our escape!"

Yes, and if you want, you can save your bolt as Erevenywg just finished breathing fire on it. Serena can still take round 6 actions.


Female Half-elf Paladin 3/Cleric of Sarenrae 2 || HP 26/45 (45/45 nonlethal) || AC 22/10 Tch/22 FF || F+12 R+5 W+14 || CMB +6 CMD 16/16 FF || Init +0 || Perception +6, low-light vision

Serena looks about for another foe as she calls out, "Get the girl and that fool out of here! Durgan, if you think that we can take the remainder, I'm with you!" Readying to attack any foe that comes within range.


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

Durgan nods to Serena.
"Depends how many they are, but yes, I think so. Who's got that wand of Enlarge Person? We'll make our stand where Zokon says."
Even with the -2 AC from that spell, Durgan should still be near "20s to hit" range for the trolls, and he would do more damage. And with the reach, he'd be able to thwart CMB attempts by them against him. He can still buff with Bull's Strength and Divine Favor.


Status: | Hp 34/35 | AC 18/12/16 [17/11/15] | Uncanny Dodge | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +6 [+8/+4/+8]; +4 vs non-lethal cold, sonic, bard or language dependent | CMD 18 | Init +8 | Per +11; low-light vision | Sense Motive +15 |
Inspired Rage:
+2 Str/Con, +2 Will, -1 AC, rage limitations; lesser Spirit Totem: +7 1d4+4 negative energy

There was a lot going on all of the sudden - and not just her probable concussion. The Skald moved a hand to hold her head - thankful for Durgan's healing even if it seemed less potent then it should be. At least the trolls and wolves were gone. For the moment ...

Oww. One thing at a time ... She threw a glance at Erevenywg. Hopefully that was merely a spell or potion - otherwise she'd really have to move 'get a chef' to the top of her priorities. *Really* hoped their friend wasn't one of Choral's old pals or something.

Spellcraft: guessing Firebelly?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

And then there were this guy and this whole fishy situation. The clerics list of questions were all things she would like to know. Then she was the curious sort. And Erevenywg's warning didn't make things clearer either! "Uhum ..."

Sense Motive: Hunch?: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

"So how *did* you end up in there Alia's acquaintance?"

Get a hunch as an action? Otherwise Scroll->Cure Light Wounds own face


Illthir Winlowe wrote:

There was a lot going on all of the sudden - and not just her probable concussion. The Skald moved a hand to hold her head - thankful for Durgan's healing even if it seemed less potent then it should be. At least the trolls and wolves were gone. For the moment ...

Oww. One thing at a time ... She threw a glance at Erevenywg. Hopefully that was merely a spell or potion - otherwise she'd really have to move 'get a chef' to the top of her priorities. *Really* hoped their friend wasn't one of Choral's old pals or something.

[dice=Spellcraft: guessing Firebelly?

;)

Illthir Winlowe wrote:

"So how *did* you end up in there Alia's acquaintance?"

Get a hunch as an action? Otherwise Scroll->Cure Light Wounds own face

"There is no time! Go or stay but make yourselves ready, whatever! Questions can be answered later when there might be time!" shouts Argentov, whose plea seems honest enough to Illthir's ears.

So upon reading Sense Motive again, it takes minimally a minute to use this way. You can use it all you like against Bluff attempts. Durgan can still keep his previously gained insights, but if you are trying to get a hunch about the current situation you are going to have to wait a bit (minimally 10 rounds--possibly all night if everyone merely grits their teeth and growls at one another).


Skills:
Perc:+10|Stealth:+12|Acro+10|Climb/Swim +7|SM+9|Sur+9|Heal+5|KN Dun/Lo +5|Bluff/Diplo/Intim+4|Ride+8||Disguise+6|UMD+2|BGS:Craft:Bow+5|KN Geography +5|Kn Nob +10| Kn Hist +2| Appraise +2| Lore:Kobold +5: Ling:Draconic|Ha +4
HP:50/51|AC:19|T:14|FF:15|CMB:+8|CMD:22|Fort:+8|Ref:+7|Will:+3|Init:+4 | Slayer 3 Fighter WM 2

Zokon moves back 30 ft and is covering the trolls

"Back, lets get out of here, WE have saved the girl, lets keep her safe and go, Argentov come with us now or not, it's your choice."


Human Grasping Vine of the Wood 5| HP: 29/41 | AC: 20 T: 12 FF: 18 CMD: 15 | F+3 R+3 W+9 | 20' | Init +2 | Perception +24, SensM +5, Nature/Planes/Spellcraft +10
Tracked Resources:
1st 3+1/5+1, 2nd 1+1/3+1, 3rd 2+1/2+1; Extend 1/3; SwP 2/2 +1 Suggestion

Balzeros gives Fergus a nod of thanks before turning his attention to the chain holding the girl fast. "They're chained, we need to break their bonds!" he calls out, before his whole arm seems to turn to wood. Unalarmed, he lifts it overhead and strikes down on the chain where it meets the rock.

"Erevenywg, what do you know about this circle?" And why the hell did you not say anything before? It affects the captives too, the targets of our RESCUE mission!
________
Slam vs Chain: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 171d8 ⇒ 7
I think it is too late to say Balzeros heard the warning in time to not enter the circle (unless Balzeros had his own way of knowing via knowledge/prior experience and). With her chained, he won't have picked her up yet and knowing generally her age (therefore the approximate the age suggests), he will just take her hand and run instead, once/if it gets to that. Swift for his Tree Limb ability, standard to strike the chain, move action for drawing the dagger for the girl.


M Dwarf Cleric 5 | HP 44/46 | AC 28 T 13 FF 27 CMD 19 (23 vs Bull Rush, Trip) | F +9 R +4 W +10 (+2 vs spells, SLA, poison) | Mv 30' | Init +1 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Channel 3d6 2/3 | Active: Bark +2, Shld of Faith +2, Shield, Resist Cold, Divine Favor

"Serena, can you call on the power of your goddess to detect the presence of evil in the ring of stones?"
A worry tickles the back of Durgan's mind. The others are taking the situation at face value, but the girl may not be what she seems. We have blundered before by making rash assumptions.


Balzeros of the Narl wrote:

Balzeros gives Fergus a nod of thanks before turning his attention to the chain holding the girl fast. "They're chained, we need to break their bonds!" he calls out, before his whole arm seems to turn to wood. Unalarmed, he lifts it overhead and strikes down on the chain where it meets the rock.

"Erevenywg, what do you know about this circle?" And why the hell did you not say anything before? It affects the captives too, the targets of our RESCUE mission!
________

I think it is too late to say Balzeros heard the warning in time to not enter the circle (unless Balzeros had his own way of knowing via knowledge/prior experience and). With her chained, he won't have picked her up yet and knowing generally her age (therefore the approximate the age suggests), he will just take her hand and run instead, once/if it gets to that. Swift for his Tree Limb ability, standard to strike the chain, move action for drawing the dagger for the girl.

She didn't actually give the warning until Alia grew close, By then Balzeros and Fergus were already there. The place looks to be an ancient druid circle. If only you had more time.... ;)

"This circle? N-nothing, Baal-Zeroes I just thought that-" then just at that moment....


Durgan Far-Walker wrote:

"Serena, can you call on the power of your goddess to detect the presence of evil in the ring of stones?"

A worry tickles the back of Durgan's mind. The others are taking the situation at face value, but the girl may not be what she seems. We have blundered before by making rash assumptions.

"That's it! No more discussion!" Linds voice booms.

Argentov walks behind a stone, shouts a word of magic, and suddenly a dense fog rolls over the area.

11,301 to 11,350 of 11,544 << first < prev | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the Stolen Lands All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.