Midgard Homebrew: Power of Freedom (Inactive)

Game Master Nightskies

The Free City of Salzbach is under siege.


51 to 100 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Hadrian nods. "I was headed that way anyway. I'll meet you there."

Making his way out the door shortly after, he walked the city, familiarizing himself with its many roads, beginning to get a feel for how they fit together and paying careful attention to where the buildings cast their shadows.


Hadrian Equinox wrote:

Hadrian nods. "I was headed that way anyway. I'll meet you there."

Making his way out the door shortly after, he walked the city, familiarizing himself with its many roads, beginning to get a feel for how they fit together and paying careful attention to where the buildings cast their shadows.

Oops, just to clarify, I meant ten o'clock in the morning - I believe it's nighttime still, and apparently Salzbach ain't no Vegas after dark...


Eh. He'll still go for a walk for a while before finding a place to get a room.


Relaan bids you a fair rest before accompanying Khita back to the temple. She suppresses feelings of worry under a thin veil, her voice uncertain.

Khita:
Relaan speaks with you on the way. "That woman was a bit distracting. I know we only spent a few minutes together, but the elf Tessara reminded me of tales of the Shadow Fey, lusting after men." She seems surprised with her own comment, shaking her head in denial of the thought out loud. "Oh, I shouldn't have said that so thoughtlessly. Of course the Arbonesse elves aren't Shadow Fey. Its her right to behave as she pleases, so long as she cares for any children she might have. Don't you agree?" She tries to make a little conversation with you, as you are from the same following but from a different region, before seeing you to your room at the temple.

Ariso:
Tindalon seems unusually quiet with his thoughts with regard to the events regarding Sir Rayler. However, he does lighten up easily at talk of other things, but you've gotten to know him better by now. Perhaps Tindalon and Sir Rayler do know each other. He avoids such questions, relishing in the wine. Tomorrow would be a busy day for him as well, as a merchant in these days. The last thing he speaks of before retiring for the day regards his concern for the safety of your family's stock of supplies, guarding it against the common thieves sure to arise should things get worse. However, he is confident that he has it under control, and when he says such things, he is sure to.

Hadrian:
In the night, there are an unusual number of folk up and mingling with the shadows. Half seem to be to sleepless refugees milling about, but some wordlessly question your intent with a look. Your black armor does much of the speaking for you, and people stay out of your way. This night, you do not find anyone bothering you but the distant occasional holler out a window or in the street.

Rising early in the morning, you gather at the statue of Perun or at Lada's temple to begin the day's work. Few clouds dot the sky this morning, and the forges of the city come to life. It will be a warm day by the feel of it, and the crowds gather, the clamor more active than usual.

.
Day 1

Group 1 Khita, Kelvanthus, Tessara
Your task is simple; walk through the streets and taverns, using Detect Magic to find individuals with magic weapons or armor who is not associated with one of the major guilds. It could take until afternoon to do a sweep through the streets and taverns, if not for the crowd. The markets and major roads congeal with a dense gathering of people. People clamber for supplies, and merchants are eager to sell for a high price, hollering above the crowd their prices. There are plenty of men and women who carry well made weapons and armor, but in the first hour of your search, you find none with magic. The town criers are already spreading word of last night.

"Red Tower Protectorate questioned for inaction! Nobles try to take over the guild! Mustering duel planned for this week! Bring out your weapons for the mustering!"

It garners attention, both from supporters and opponents to the Protectorate, mothers and youth alike, eager to participate and upset at the notion that the Mustering is going to be brought to Salzbach at a time like this. Questions about the duelists rise, but the crier only knows that Sir Rayler has sent for a champion.

You can expect to spend up to 6 hours in search. Please describe your demeanor, interaction with each other, and how you interact with the crowds.

.
Group 2 Ariso, Hadrian
Ariso: Gather Information: (13)+6 = 19
Hadrian: Gather Information: (6)+7 = 13

By noon, you learn who will most likely be the champion for the Protectorate, visiting a pub near the Protectorate's guildhouse. Some learn about the challenge from you, others have heard already and give you their guesses. Their captain, Tanlor Owlday, rarely does any footwork anymore, but he is the current commander of the Protectorate's army. Word of mouth says he has enough skill of arms to subdue most opponents with sword and shield. "That's why he's still the captain." He is a stubborn old man who doesn't often speak to those outside the Protectorate, and is a friend of the Guildmaster Toranore.

But they're not certain of him being the champion. He might be getting too old for the job, so they might instead bet on a the daughter of the guildmaster, Senay Toranore. She is a dangerous, hot headed woman, skilled with polearms. Senay has no rank in the guild, but comes and goes and answers only to her father. People say that she once skewered a young man for no known reason, leaving him crippled. She no longer may carry a polearm with her wherever she goes, but instead has an associate to follow her around with one.

You might have other questions about these two before you move on to Sir Rayler's estate. The people you speak to are probably friendly with the Protectorate.

Ellismus:
At the Loremaster's Association, you learn a little more about the Protectorate. Certain individuals in the Protectorate answer to the Loremasters, allowing your organization to perform its dirty work at certain times, unspecified to you. A more friendly (by thieve's standards) man asks if you need something arranged, recognizing you as an 'in' member of the association. As to the Protectorate's champion, most seem to think that Senay Toranore will be chosen. In addition to what Group 2 learned, you also hear that she is involved with the Loremaster's Association, though you don't remember seeing her before. Supposedly, she knows some arcane magic which is as dangerous as her skill with long haft weapons.


Ariso plays the part of the likeable larrikin while gathering information on the Protectorate's potential champion. He is not afraid to bluff, to pretend to know this person or that, or to feign admiration or friendship to ingratiate himself with those he wants to gain information and gossip from.

His performances tend to be spoiled somewhat by his uncontrollable tongue - it seems he can't help but insert the occasional subtle mocking line, or slightly sarcastic phrase. It's as if he is testing people's intelligence, seeing if they can notice the subtle ironies and hidden jabs in his speech. Normally, those of average wits seem a but unsure what to make of him in the end.

Ariso will dominate the interactions inversely to Hadrian, ie if Hadrian takes control of a social interaction, Ariso will be happy to step back, whereas if Hadrian is reserved, Ariso will be on the front foot.


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

Khita listens respectfully to Relaan and converses politely, agreeing with the priestess that the care of children is the highest calling, her southern worship aligning with the northern tenets of Lada. On retiring Khita prays to her triple goddess for strength in arms, heart and will and ponders the twists of fate that led her here. She spends some time contemplating her eldritch source, preparing her spells for the next day.

Next day, when out and about with Kelvanthus and Tessara Khita is careful not to startle the refugees nor assume a too-familiar relationship - she honestly presents as a foreigner seeking to aid the city, tasked with finding a champion and or a cache of items to challenge the Red Protectorate's champion.

Conversely, Khita takes care to become familiar with her companions, to gently rib Kelvanthus from time to time, making his attachment to Tessara an object of subtle speculation, though obvious in intent.

If they would pair, let them!

Rather than make Kelvanthus feel uncomfortable or slight/insult Tessara, Khita rather tries to act as a chaperone to each of them, praising each to the other and promoting further understanding between them.
It is not for me to steer Kelvanthus away from any worship, and I may just enlighten myself as to the teachings of this Shadow Lady. Does the Moon not reflect Lada's magnificence? My triple goddess has gradations of light and dark after all..

Khita tries her utmost to treat Tessara as ally and above all friend with various questions about the city, Tessara's lineage and status and ways in which the two of them might best ascertain the information they need.

Khita has prepared detect magic


Female Elf Illusionist

Tessara spends the day quietly, mostly deferring to Khita and Kelvanthus. She concentrates most of her efforts on maintaining her magic detection spell. She does her best to maintain friendly with Khita, but a few snarky slips come out. Almost a polar opposite, she is doting and friendly with Kelvanthus the whole day.

She will say nothing to the masses of people, but will point out any magical items that she can detect on the crowd right to Khita. It's quite plain that Tessara is not overly comfortable being out in the crowds.


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Kelvanthus spends the day quietly sizing up those they encounter, judging them more by their demeanor and motivation than simply strength of arms or what they carry. He presents himself as a fellow outsider, and speaks openly and honestly about the perils he has seen and how in this darkest hour they must all stand together. He asks more for courage and strength of heart, and its obvious from his words and demeanor he is looking for a idealist, not simply a mercanary. His thick accent and scarred appearance may be a deterrent to some, but he speaks with conviction and passion about the defense of this city and the need for a champion and supplies.

He warms quickly to Khita, both as a fellow outsider and warrior. He is friendly to both her and Tessara, and over the course of the day opens up some, and even tells a few stories about things he has seen and done. He doesn't reveal all, but it is obvious from his words that he is not from here, and the places he talks about are completely new to both of you. He tries to keep away from discussion of religion, but will name his Goddess and Eloria the Sky Warden if it comes up. He would also introduce you to his hawk, Elana.

He frowns on the tension between Khita and Tessara, but will not say anything about it. He seems slightly uncomfortable to the attention Tessara shows him, as if that is new to him, but he does welcome the friendship from both of you. To Khita it would appear obvious that he is perhaps unaware of the bond between them, or doesn't recognize it. He would also seem bemused at the reverence towards Tessara that many people would show her, as if he isn't used to Elvenkind being treated in such a way.

All in all, he welcomes the attention from Tessara and Khita, and quickly bonds with them. He enjoys the bond with Tessara, though he is awkward and not sure what to do with it, or even truly what it is. From his words and demeanor it is obvious there is much going on in his mind regarding it all.


Hadrian was comfortable letting Ariso draw attention and ask questions. The quiet knight spent most of his time listening and observing.


Group 1 Khita, Kelvanthus, Tessara
You spend hours looking. Finally, after four hours, you are at a prominent inn during the early lunch hour, and you find a burly dwarf there. Wearing magical red scale armor and keeping a hand on a similarly magical big dwarven waraxe leaning on the ground next to him, your first look finds him with an excess of ale drizzling from a mug onto his beard as he drinks heartily. When he finishes, he looks about the room, spotting your stares at him, and he stares back. He has a pale grey and brown beard, with short-shaven grey hair on his dome. He sniffs and then wipes his bulbous, thick nose with his forearm before calling to you.

"You THREE there. Yeah, YOU! You NEED a strong arm, don't YOU!? You're in LUCK!" He stands, towering almost five feet, unusually tall for a dwarf. "O'mighty, READY to squash some ABOMINATIONS!"

.
Group 2 Hadrian, Ariso
After speaking with those at the pub and having lunch, you head to the east gate on the way to Sir Rayler's estate. When you arrive, the Protectorate stationed at the gate move themselves in your path when you come to twenty feet of the gate. There is one sergeant and four guards, equipped with scale mail, pike, and sap. The sergeant, plain and lightly bearded, speaks, pointing to Hadrian.

"You must be Sir Chevala. You're the challenger, I hear. Well, challengers aren't supposed to leave before the fight. I'm supposed to care about that sort of thing. We're also supposed to get paid better, right boys?"

You both sense that he is lying, though not hostile toward you. The other guards seem dispassionate of the situation, one more mindful of the fortified gate. Although they impose between you and the gate, you may be able to slip around them.

Ellismus:
You've finished learning what you can from those willing to speak of the Protectorate. People whisper about the Shadow Gate, mentioning that some attempts to make it work again have had strange effects. Other than that, there's nothing more to be gained at the guildhouse.


"You boys do look a little overworked Less pay means longer hours just to make ends meet." Hadrian says with a nod. "How about you go get a few drinks on us after your shift?"

Tossing a small coin pouch to the sergeant, Hadrian thumbs over his shoulder toward the pub they just came from. "That place has a pretty potent stout you might want to try."

"Don't worry about us. We haven't officially decided who's going to be our champion, but we aren't going anywhere anyway."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

He keeps walking as he talks, not being hostile and not seeming particularly concerned about their presence.


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Barkeep, a drink for our new friend please

With that said, Kelvanthus walks up to the dwarf, throwing back his hood as he goes. He gives a marshal salute, then extends his hand for a hearty handshake.

Kelvanthus Darshantion, a pleasure to meet you sirrah...? Indeed, I am in need of a strong arm, as well as a strong heart. Tell me sirrah, what brings you here? And why would you be willing to take up the fight against the abominations besieging this fair city?


Hadrian Equinox wrote:

"You boys do look a little overworked Less pay means longer hours just to make ends meet." Hadrian says with a nod. "How about you go get a few drinks on us after your shift?"

Tossing a small coin pouch to the sergeant, Hadrian thumbs over his shoulder toward the pub they just came from. "That place has a pretty potent stout you might want to try."

"Don't worry about us. We haven't officially decided who's going to be our champion, but we aren't going anywhere anyway."

He keeps walking as he talks, not being hostile and not seeming particularly concerned about their presence.

Ariso continues walking confidently beside Hadrian, giving the lads the acknowledging nod of an equal as he passes.

Diplomacy (aid another): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


The sergeant catches the coin, looking to the pub as Hadrian speaks of it. For a moment his mischievous expression softens, but points at you before you pass. "Hold!" he commands.

Two of the guards move in the way of your path. He steps closer, now speaking in a friendly, almost hush manner. "Word is spreading about what you're doing. A lot of folk don't like the idea that some noble is going to command the army, not that I care. You might want to look a little less like yourselves for a while."

He motions to the guards to move, and they comply, allowing you to pass. "Some guard gives you trouble, you tell 'em Sergeant Wyle got you covered."

_____

The dwarf pulls Kelvanthus' hand in, giving him an overbearing hug with his axe-bearing arm. Smiling, he pulls back, eyes twinkling with honest enthusiasm.

"VORORE O'mighty, THAT'S what they call me! I used to go on SOUTH t' the Seven Cities for MUSTERING, but not THIS year! I heard ya folk here make some GOOD BEER, and so here I am! And THEN, all THIS!"

Not quite realizing he hadn't answered your questions, he invites you to sit with him. His cheeks become a little flushed red, though it was not when you first saw him. He pulls himself back to his chair. So what's got the FORGES going with you? And is THIS everyone in the group?"


Before moving on, Ariso looks the guard straight in the eye. "Sergeant Wyle, is it? Many thanks, good man." Ariso likewise drops his voice to a murmur. "My merchant brother, Tindalon Chivala, may have better coin for less work for a worthy guardsman like yourself. Is there somewhere I could find you if such an opportunity arose? A tavern, perhaps, that you frequent?"


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

"Well met Master O'Mighty" says Khita, inclining her head slightly to acknowledge Vorore, but offering no name of her own nor answering his question. She sits down with Kelvanthus and Vorore, waving away any offer of alcohol. She has absolutely no idea what the dwarf is talking about, and is also slightly suspicious of his question, starting to realise there is much more to this city than outward threats.

Sense Motive on Vorore O'Mighty: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Male Half-orc archaeologist 1 | HP 11/11 {effects: none} | AC 18 Tch 15 FF 13 | F +4, R +7, W +4 | Init +5 | Perc +6, darkvision, low-light vision
Dailies:

Ellismus will summon and hang out with D'endrrah until the time comes to meet the others at which point he will send her back and go to the meeting place.

Note: away for the long weekend. If the meet happens before I'm back, assume Ellismus tells the others about the probable champion's skills and magic, as well as the mention on the shadow gate.


Female Elf Illusionist

Tessara remains standing behind Kelvanthus, making no effort to hide her heritage. She leans in and says quietly to the elfmarked "He seems to fight for fightings sake, this is not some noble champion such as yourself."

She stands guardedly with arms crossed in front of her, appraising the dwarf the best she can.

Sense Motive 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15


Hadrian nods his appreciation to the sergeant and lets Ariso continue.


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

For now, let us not worry if this is all of my group or noy. Let us focus on The Mustering. You appear to be quite a mighty warrior, master dwarf, but let me ask you. Why do you fight? Honour? Gold? Simply for the thrill of battle? As for what im doing, I seek a champion to stand for these refugees, to fight in their name against the Red Tower in this mustering. What do you say to that?


The sergeant nods to Ariso, unsurprised by the revelation that Ariso was Chivala. "I live in the Orchid Market district here." He points to a building. "Just behind that building. If I'm not on duty, its either there or at this pub."

Unconcerned with who might be watching, he then checks the coin pouch handed to him. "Appreciate what you're doing."

How much coin was in the pouch?

__________

Sense Motives:
O'mighty looks to each of you in the eye, though he flushes from the attention, he seems to be an honest dwarf with you so far.

O'mighty rests his free hand on the table, leaning forward on it. "Fighting in the MUSTERING? Well, for GOLD, mostly! Don't hurt to be on MARVOS-PERUN'S good side too! Now for REAL fighting? Usually because something's TRYING to KILL me! Don't really matter WHY then! HAW!"

The wench brings over the standard ale, taking your coin. He thanks the woman, giving the ale a quick taste before continuing. "I say you're WILLING to OFFER all that if you want me in your MUSTERING! How MUCH are we talking?"


GM Nightskies wrote:

The sergeant nods to Ariso, unsurprised by the revelation that Ariso was Chivala. "I live in the Orchid Market district here." He points to a building. "Just behind that building. If I'm not on duty, its either there or at this pub."

Unconcerned with who might be watching, he then checks the coin pouch handed to him. "Appreciate what you're doing."

How much coin was in the pouch?

Are we running on the Pathfinder economy where 1 gp is roughly $600 (ie a week's wage for most)? If so, 5 sp would probably get all the guards present roaring drunk tonight, but a couple of gp wouldn't hurt :)

Ariso nods. "Thanks again for the advice, Sergeant."


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

Khita is satisfied the Dwarf is as he appears, and is content to let Kelvanthus talk man-to....dwarf. She spends the conversation half-listening to the conversation and half watching the crowd - ostensibly for danger, but also to satisfy her curiosity about the north and the mien of the refugees generally.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


30 silver


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Master dwarf, know that you are not the only candidate, but a strong one nonetheless. I would have to speak with my companions, and I doubt the decision will be made until the morrow, but if we did choose you, I can offer you 1000 gold, and the possibility of more work in the future. After all, all of this will not end with a Mustering, and the abominations will not simply go away because we have formed an army. Would those terms be acceptable to you?


Assuming the good sergeant is happy with his bonus, Ariso will follow Hadrian out the gate.


The sergeant is satisfied, and allows you to pass through the gate. Your journey to Sir Rayler's estate takes a few hours. You pass three dozen in small clusters on the way. They are refugees, some carrying all they can, others with only the cloth on them. At the estate, you can still see the towers of Salzbach to the east. The estate is a three-story sprawl, impossibly too large for one person to live at. (Image link)

The front doors are reinforced wood, shut and locked, and no-one answers any summons. There is a service entrance and a backdoor, both similarly reinforced and locked. The backdoor is at a section with only one floor, seeming to lead to a courtyard that the mansion is built around, and you hear the trickle of moving water come from the supposed courtyard. The windows are barred at the first level, and heavy curtains cover them from the inside. Around the estate, there is one folly tower and a storage shed standing apart from the mansion. The forest looms near, and it is about midday. Birds chirp incessantly. You do not spot anything out of place.

__________

Those in attendance at the tavern are better off than most, getting a decent meal of higher quality than what is offered in the streets to the masses. Several are mindful of the dwarf's mien, though trying to look disinterested. One standing near the entrance is particularly mindful, dressed moderately well in black, armed with a sword in an elaborate scabbard. He does not avert his eyes when you look to him. He has shoulder-length black hair and a toughened face.

O'mighty considers Kelvanthus' offer for a long moment, making a gutteral 'hmm'. His weapon-hand sways back and fourth, eyes following Khita's gaze to the man watching before looking back to Kelvanthus.

"Not going to JOIN the ARMY! But you NEED this challenge WON? Its a THOUSAND for one fight? If it ain't against MARVOS-PERUN'S ways, you can COUNT ME IN!"

He grasps his mug, now taking a heavy swig. He wipes his mouth of the fluid on his beard, and looks to the watching man. "Or do I have to beat all OTHER comers to the OFFER?"

The man raises his brow, takes a few steps forward closer, but remains watching. You sense magic in his gloves.


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

Khita briefly considers the dwarf's comment. She motions to the dark bladesman, her face open but eyes questioning.

"Have you skills with blade or spell, brother - perhaps both? Or do you prowl here for some darker reason?" Khita shrugs her shoulder quickly to rattle her greatsword in its sheath - "We seek a champion, not trouble."


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Kelvanthus shifts in his seat, turning slightly to face both the swordsman and dwarf, his eyes locking with the newcomer's. He lays his left hand calmly across the haft of his bow, his right he beckoning the swordsman closer.

]Please join us, as you seem interested in this matter. There is no need for tension between all of us. You most likely know why I am here and what im doing, so let us discuss. I am Kelvanthus Darshantion. Join us, please, sirrah...?


"How quaint." Hadrian says sarcastically to his partner as he eyes the enormous manorhouse.


Hadrian Equinox wrote:
"How quaint." Hadrian says sarcastically to his partner as he eyes the enormous manorhouse.

Ariso whistles appreciatively in response. "'Twould be a hell of a job to clean though.."

As the pair checks all the locked doors and get no response, Ariso sighs. "It may be time to revert to less traditional means of entry," he murmurs, retrieving a leather wrap from his backpack. "Now don't be alarmed, good sir..." He unrolls the wrap, revealing a set of lockpicking tools.

How does Sir Paladin respond?


Doesn't even blink.

"I'll keep watch. The side approach there looks best for keeping out of line of any of the windows."


"Right you, Sir Knight!" Ariso scoots over to where Hadrian suggests, placing his toolkit on the ground and rubbing his hands together as he inspects the look. He clasps his holy symbol of Loki and prays in a murmur for his god's guidance before setting his hands and mind to the task.

I'll spend a few minutes to take 20 on Disable Device for a 30 (29 + 1 for guidance. How'd I go?


perception, to keep a look out: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Should we be rolling stealth as well?


Female Elf Illusionist

Tessara whispers quietly to Khita and Kelvanthus, "It might not be smart to be speaking so loudly about a large sum of gold. We do not want any lurkers in the shadow to think we keep this with us, and try to take it from us by force. Furthermore, perhaps we only offer the gold for a win. It's easy to fight, but not so easy to fight and win. There is a lot at stake here and we need to choose the right person."

She raises her voice, so that the dwarf and anybody listening may hear her as well. "We are simply finding those who may be able-bodied for now. Once we find more out about who the opponent is, we will be able to come up with a proper counter. Fighting is not all about muscles and brawn."


At the mansion...
If you are moving stealthily, yes.

After fiddling at the lock for two minutes, it clicks open. Once opened, you can see there is little light inside, mostly lit up by the open door. The entry hall has a statue of Lada, one hand lifted high as though in greeting. Two decorative suits of armor stand at her side. They stand at the center of a hallway that opens to this room at the east and west. The back of the room, thirty feet ahead, has a wide stone stair that branches left and right, leading directly to hallways, with no balcony. A large landscape painting hangs on the wall at the stairway's split.

You both hear an easily noticeable sound of movement, a ruffle upon the stone floor, somewhere inside. But neither of you see what caused it.

_________

The swordsman approaches, showing open palms to the three of you. He speaks with a calm, deep voice. "My name is Dareroth. I have skill with blades and spell. You seek a champion for a challenge? That is... interesting. To me, I mean."

Khita:
You notice he harbors great greed. This man knows something you don't, and seeks to exploit it.

Dareroth looks to O'mighty and takes a seat at Kelvanthus' invitation. "You sound like a powerful combatant, O'mighty. But Perun's honor isn't worshiped here, so it might be in your interests to leave this one to... someone like me."

He looks to Tessara, offering a weak smile. "I am far more interested in deserving a thousand gold than merely taking it. Perhaps you have some questions about my abilities rather than seeing a simple prestidigitation? I am a craftsman for the Treasure Hunters Guild, and I am an expert of exploiting weaknesses. Whatever your opponent brings to the table, I will be able to handle it. It may be that I already know the weakness of your opponent, in fact."

O'mighty leans back, looking to Kelvanthus. "ILLUSIONS and tricks, Sirrah Kelvanthus Darshantion. It'll take more to bring ME down!"


Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Hadrian moves to a wall as quietly as possible.


Quote:

Dareroth looks to O'mighty and takes a seat at Kelvanthus' invitation. "You sound like a powerful combatant, O'mighty. But Perun's honor isn't worshiped here, so it might be in your interests to leave this one to... someone like me."

He looks to Tessara, offering a weak smile. "I am far more interested in deserving a thousand gold than merely taking it. Perhaps you have some questions about my abilities rather than seeing a simple prestidigitation? I am a craftsman for the Treasure Hunters Guild, and I am an expert of exploiting weaknesses. Whatever your opponent brings to the table, I will be able to handle it. It may be that I already know the weakness of your opponent, in fact."

O'mighty leans back, looking to Kelvanthus. "ILLUSIONS and tricks, Sirrah Kelvanthus Darshantion. It'll take more to bring ME down!"

Fight, fight, fight..!


Ariso does likewise heading to the opposite side from Hadrian, readying his light crossbow.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Female Elf Illusionist

Tessara listens intently to Dareroth, and begins to smile as O'mighty chimes in. "Sir dwarf, I just finished mentioning that fighting is about more than muscle. A keen eye to pick out an opponents weakness and take advantage of that is a skill you would do well to learn. Furthermore, illusions and trickery are a staple part of many arcanists' repertoire."

The elf gives Dareroth a small curtsy. "I am Tessara. What kind of magic do you focus in? I am very interested to hear sort of abilities you may bring to a fight. Also, I would very much like to know if you already have information about who the opponent is."

For what seems the first time, Tessara has relaxed the slightest bit and introduced herself (let alone made conversation with) one of the many they sought that day. She speaks a few words of arcane magic to renew her detection spell, to see what magical items this spellblade carries.

Is he human? I didn't actually see a reference to his race, anywhere.


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

GM Nightskies:
Khita will continue to watch Dareron, content to let him and Tessara engage in order to see the human expose himself in some way or otherwise give Khita reason to trust him even less.

Perception or Sense Motive (whichever applies) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Khita leans back and watches, focussing on Tessara and Dareron's interaction, though trying not to seem over-interested via a languid posture, a quick smile and placating nod to O'mighty.

Dareron's probably our competition!!! Way too sure of himself! I agree with littlehewy - we should totally let the dwarf and Dareron trash the joint!!!


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Kelvanthus watches Dareron and O'mighty, listening as Tessara speaks.

Indeed Dareron, tell us more about your prowess and what info you may have. O'mighty, I would hear more about your skills in battle as well, so that we may better decide. I would advise you both, be honest and open. Skill at arms or arcane power are not all that is being judged here.
And do not mistake strength of arms for lack of cunning, Tessara. A wise warrior knows when and where to strike. And you, Dareron, while I have little love for the arcane, I respect its power and those who wield it. Such abilities do not come easy.

So again, to both you. Convince us why you should be our champion. Make me want to put my trust in you.

As Kelvanthus speaks of magic, he runs his hand along the scars on his face and neck, seemingly without realizing it, a small frown on his lips.


At the manor.

You move into the entry hall in a hush. The cool air inside blows steadily out, and the light from the front door only illuminates a few feet further into the halls on the first and second floor. You hear the scuffle again come from the first floor passage on the left, the same side you are on. A brief squeal, as though coming from a rat, follows.

Hadrian can just see it from 50 feet away, while Ariso can only hear it. Even as Hadrian peers into the dark hall, he can just make out the movement of something the size of a rat, writhing, but it does not skitter toward or away.

Tactical map. The 2nd floor halls similarly go east and west. If you attack it, Ariso has initiative first.

_______

Dareroth addresses Tessara. "Illusions, Tessara, just as you anticipated. It certainly won't bring an opponent down on its own- while its plainly obvious that a sword does. That is what finishes a job. And I finish my work, one way or another."

He eyes Khita, again offering a weak smile when she offers one. He turns to Kelvanthus. "I need to know the name of the opponent first. I know many would-be opponents from Salzbach, now including a fair deal of O'mighty here. Allow me to demonstrate. I notice he is not carrying a ranged weapon, and utilizes somewhat bulky armor. Nothing about him speaks of nimble ability. It would take but a little grease to fumble this warrior."

Dareroth pulls a gold coin and swiftly flicks it across the table to O'mighty's chest. The dwarf snaps his free hand to catch the coin against his armor, and in so doing, falls from his chair in a swift slide. The clatter of his weapon and armor are followed by a growl. You see the seat shine with a smooth gloss, and Dareroth smiles-- genuinely.

"Fuh-FUMBLE?!" O'mighty sputters. "You just try that when I'm on my FEET, ya SPARKLE-FINGERED DROSS!" He stands, pulling his waraxe unto the table. "You think you're CLEVER, pulling a trick like that?! Don't be fooled by 'em. Nothing but TALK and TRICKS! I ain't afraid to show you the REAL THING if that's what you want!"

No further insight from Sense Motive or Perception can be garnered at this time.


Male Half-Elven Ranger-Falconer/Trapper 2

Kelvanthus comes to his feet in one swift motion, his hand on his blade. He strides between the two, a fiery cast to his eyes and a scowl on his lips. He glares at both the man and dwarf, making sure he has their full attention.

Enough!!! Both of you, stand down!

He looks over at Dareroth, silently daring him to make a move. "I suggest you keep your tricks to yourself for now Dareroth. I came here looking for a champion, not to start a fight to prove you have some talent!

And you, O'Mighty! Control your temper! This is no place for a fight over injured pride, rightly though your anger may be. Both of you should be ashamed! This city is beset by evil, abominations seek to destroy us all, the Shadow Roads are closed, and who knows what else is coming againt us!!! Here we are, attempting to form a unified force to protect this city, to find a champion willing to help potentially save the lives of thousands, and what do we find?! Trickery and anger, and naked greed. We are better than this gentleman, especially with all the danger that is already at our door. Your fight is not with each other, so again I say, STAND DOWN!

We can arrange for a test of skill to decide the champion if need be, but not here, and not now.

Kelvanthus will stand, looking to see how his companions, as well as the human and dwarf, react. His hand stays on his sword, and his stance is ready to draw down if need be.


Daeroth frowns, as though disappointed that his small demonstration did not impress Kelvanthus. O'mighty rests the axe on the table, making a gesture to the chair.

"I'll not FIGHT over a stool! If you want to see what I can do, arrange that test if y'will."


Hadrian waits, watching the small thing, trying to determine what it is and hoping it hasn't noticed him.

What is it? What would be appropriate to roll here?


Neither Hadrian or Ariso can identify the creature. Ariso can still act (if he wants to) when Hadrian spots it.

Straining to see the creature more clearly in the dark, it appears to have several limbs, like a squirming abomination. A rat's head writhes from the mass, and you can tell its body is a hairy thing. Another squeak sounds from it.


Ariso stands motionless, awaiting a target for his crossbow. He holds up a hand to Hadrian, motioning for him not to charge in.

Readying an action to fire my crossbow if a likely target enters my line of sight. I'll wait till it has no cover if possible, if not I'll try to use a 5' step to minimise it's cover.


Female HP: xx/xx; AC:xx (xx), T:xx, FFxx (xx);; FORT +x, REF +x, WILL +x; INIT +x; PER: +x; CMB: xx; CMD +1x Skysoul Witch 1

Hmmph. Men. Perhaps a different inn will suffice.

Khita's hair begins to blow more strongly, her irritation with the circumstances becoming difficult to conceal. Sensing affairs might spiral out of control she loosens her garment from her shoulders to better/more freely operate her eldritch gauntlet. She watches Dareroth carefully, facing him almost defensively, sideways to Kelvanthus. Still facing Dareroth, Khita speaks to the dwarf over her shoulder, though in a loud voice for the benefit of all within earshot.

"O'mighty - NO test will occur here - this is a place of rest and relaxation - not an arena for warriors and warlocks!" Khita looks to Tessara for support.
"Surely the refugees here have seen more than enough of strife?"

51 to 100 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Midgard Homebrew: Power of Freedom Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.