Expedition to Tharkad-Kûl

Game Master Patrick Curtin


2,151 to 2,200 of 2,513 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>

Lacking any practical skills, Corvus rushes to the Baron but stops short of actually doing anything.

Seeing Navorn, she whispers to him, "Is it serious? I mean, is he well, you know...dead?"


Male Human 3rd

Lets find out

Untrained heal check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Shugging his shoulders he whispers "I have no ideal. If his singing was good I would know, if he is alive" he shrugs again " Your guess is as good as mine, Hince the yelling for the healer"


Bribes always welcome

There is a crush of folks about the stricken baron, so neither Navorn or Corvus are able to get close. Navorn can see his face: blue as a berry with a hugely swollen tongue sticking out. A cry arises from the crowd and the folks nearest the baron scramble back. Hundreds of small maggots begin to erupt from his bluish skin. In moments he is covered in a writhing yellow-white blanket.

Another cry goes up

"Witchery! The baron has been assasinated by witchery!"


Male Human 3rd

"OK not poison then"

Know arcana 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Know religion 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Know anything useful 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Bribes always welcome
Navorn wrote:

"OK not poison then"

Know arcana 1d20+3
Know religion 1d20+3
Know anything useful 1d20+3

Navorn:

Spoiler:
Navorn has heard of a vile poison called 'death maggots' that have the effect he is seeing in the baron. It is a necromantic poison, and usually the victim rises as an undead soon after.


Male Human 3rd

Looking to Corvus and regretting not bring a weapon besides his dagger he says" Get the others. I hope some of you came armed because if I am right, we'll be dealing with a very undead baron ,very, very soon"

Raising his voice to a shout he calls 'Away from the baron! away now! The witchry is not yet done! Every one is in danger!"

Trying diplomacy to see if they will listen 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


hee hee hee


As quickly as she can, Corvus scouts the festival hall for familiar faces, encouraging them to congregate next to Navorn.

As she moves through the crowd, Corvus instinctively reaches for her scimitar, before realising she is in her clerical vestments and therefore unarmed.


Male Human 3rd

Looks like it's table, ladders and chairs vs the undead folks!


Navorn wrote:
Looks like it's table, ladders and chairs vs the undead folks!

I may have to borrow a sword from a guest who is less capable of wielding it (or pick it up from their dead body!).


Male Dwarf Fighter 3

Borondon spits out his wine and stands up.

I mentioned in a previous post that he did wear his chain shirt under his clothes and bring his axe. And the drunk condition should be applied to him...


Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (favoured class)

At the Barons collapse Sondergang becomes instantly alert..he has not indulged as much as Borondon..he makes his way towards tthe Baron ignoring the crowd around him..one look at Navorns face however tells him it is too late.."Do you know what it is" he asks hurridly.

Remember all the dwarves should be armed...tradition and custom


Female Teifling Bard 2

At the Baron's actions Crystal rises and begins to move towards the commotion. At Navorn's words Crystal's face grows grim and her course changes towards that of Lady Arriana. Once there she tries to help the other woman in this time of trouble with bolstering words and a calm voice and demeanor,

Perform:Take Ten 10+6=16

At Navorn's exclamation of "Witchery" Crystal takes Ariana's hand and begins to lead her away from the scene, all the while looking around and trying her best to observe the crowd. Some one here might be looking smug at their evil handy work.

Perception Check:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Keeping both Arriana and Mellie close, Crystal tries to move towards the nearest exit.

The Exchange

Male Human Sorceror 3

Merzhan begins to surge forward but at Navorn's shout he stops. Looking to Cinda he starts to offer her comfort but as his companions take up the warning, he turns back to the scene.

Quickly he allow his vision to shift, showing him deowmers and other such effects. Detect Magic As his eyes scan the scene he speaks quietlt to the priestess.

"You need to maintain order before the panic sets in, they will trust you."


Halfling Spellthief 3

Kolo's eyes go wide at the shout of "POISON!", thinking of the great quantity of food and drink he's had, then narrow dangerously at the second cry of "Witchery!". He allows his eyes to unfocus and looks beyond sight to spot anything out of the ordinary even as he makes his way towards the same exit Crystal and her companions are headed towards.

Using one daily use of his detect magic spell-like ability, focusing on the area the Baron was in for the first three rounds.


Male Human 3rd

Keeping his hand near his dagger , thank gods it was stylish he thinks. He looks to Sondergang, a bit enviously at his weapons " There is a necromantic poison called death maggots that has this effect. It also has a tendency to bring it's victims back from the dead, in a very unliving manner" He says looking at the dead baron with worry


Female Silver Elf Paladin 3

Daris is dressed in a gown of green silk, with gold and silver brocade in the interlaced right angles of her deity, with nary a weapon in sight. As a diplomatic guest, she's at the same table as the Baron.

Unarmed, and unarmored, she strides over to the stricken Baron. Her right hand is bathed in a pattern of interlocking silver and gold squares, her palm glowing with the blood red light of the Lawgiver's Will.

She touches the Baron's throat delicately with two fingers, as if taking the man's pulse. She is very much aware that she should not be seen grabbing his throat, lest it be misinterpreted.

Spoiler:
I'm burning a use of Lay On Hands, hopefully while he's still alive, to slow the poison. If it's too late for that, at least the undead will start with some damage from positive energy.

She looks to anyone with clerical vestments. "Are you going to sit there and let this man die?" She also looks over the Garonan contingent for one face in particular.

...even so, her LEFT hand is on the hilt of the Baron's sword, ready to pull it from the scabbard and be armed. She's eyeing one of the lids over a serving dish on the banquet table, in case she has to pull the sword, leap back and grab an improvised shield.


Bribes always welcome

Daris attempts to get close to the baron as he falls to the ground, but one of his vassals blocks her way, his sword unsheathed.

"Back off feyling!"

A ring of the Baron's men are surroounding their stricken leader. The Sarenrae priest who officiated is moving forward to his side as the maggots break free. He rears back, then starts praying.

I will work on a map later today and we can get the brouhaha started ..


Female Teifling Bard 2
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

Daris attempts to get close to the baron as he falls to the ground, but one of his vassals blocks her way, his sword unsheathed.

"Back off feyling!"

A ring of the Baron's men are surrounding their stricken leader. The Sarenrae priest who officiated is moving forward to his side as the maggots break free. He rears back, then starts praying.

At hearing the Housecarl's snarled words to Daris Crystal's eyes narrow, turning to Mellie she asks with quiet confidence.

Perform Check:Take Ten;10+6=16. Using Bardic ability to add to an allies saves and moral and such.

"Mellie? Can you guide Lady Arianna to our rooms? Be sure to change into the other clothes." To the Lady she spares a quick hug and,

"I will do the most I can for your betrothed." She looks Arianna squarely in the eye, "But there are more complicated politics afoot." She urges the pair away, then turns to the milling crowd

Yes, I know those actions will take precious time.

And surges forwards, stepping boldly and directly to the crude fellow who has cast such aspersions at an honored guest.

"You there, my good man!" She calls to gain the churls attention, "Why do you turn away any help for the Baron in this time of need?"

Diplomacy Check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

She brooks no 'stick' from these men at arms, daring any of them to strike at her proud, low cut gown wrapped, figure,

"All should be allowed to do their part!" She decries, even while searching these mens faces to try and get a better understanding of their motivations. Are they pawns or conspirators within this play of events.

Using herself as a shield,she tries to forge a path for Daris to get closer and help.

Perception Check:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Oh, and an update on who she may have noticed before? I know it's also a bit harsh leaving poor Mellie and Arianna to fend for themselves, but the seemingly imminent outbreak of undead and zombie spreading worms is more than enough worry at the moment.


Halfling Spellthief 3

Kolo passes a banquet table on his way through the frightened crowd and a sudden thought strikes him. How can I be unarmed in a feast hall? There's knives for the meat, aren't there?

So thinking, he stops his progress towards Crystal and her wards -- well enough, since Crystal just reversed direction anyway -- and tries to find a nearby sharp knife, pig spit, or other suitably sharp improvised weapon.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Untrained Sleight of Hand to grab whatever he finds without being noticed 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
EDIT: Wow, nice rolls for once.


Bribes always welcome

Crystal goes to argue with the housecarl, fighting her way through the screaming guests. As she accosts him she sees the baron's maggot-wrapped form shake. His skeleton emerges from his liquifying flesh with a horrid *splorch* sound. The housecarl is looking at Crystal and doesn't see the looming maggotty skeleton. The Sarenrae priest holds his holy symbol high and a pulse of light rips into the horrid undead. Crystal can hear the screams of Mellie and Arianna in the background.

Kolo grabs both a carving dagger and a kabob spit dagger&short spear. He turns to the commotion


Wedding map

Those shapes are tables. Call out the coordinate you want.


Female Teifling Bard 2

So, the actuall start of the round?

All Crystal can do is point behind the man, even as her gaze is torn away by the cry from Mellie and Lady Arianna.

Perception Check:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

So, what am I seeing that is effecting them? Or are they reacting to seeing the demise of the poor Baron?What has become of my two previous Perception checks?

With definite un-lady like action, Crystal simply leans down and tears the hem of her gown from ankle to waist, the better to facilitate her motions.

Crystal's actions for Round One declared. ;)

The Exchange

Male Human Sorceror 3
Cartographer Monkey wrote:

Wedding map

Those shapes are tables. Call out the coordinate you want.

I'm fine with I16 where you put me

Group init
1d20 ⇒ 9

....so Merzhan goes on 11


Female Silver Elf Paladin 3

Daris goes on a 12. I'm fine with her position.

Daris looks over the shoulder at the huscarl at the rising corpse of the Baron. (Detect Evil on the corpse)

Her tone loses any semblance of reasonableness. "Your lord has risen. See what he has become."

By luck and timing, this is just before the bolt from the priest causes the newly risen corpse to crackle.

She also shifts closer to the table, looking for a carving knife and a serving dish lid. (Improvised dagger and buckler, basically).

Spoiler:
If the Baron's animated corpse registers as Evil, I intend to do Smite Evil. This will give me +3 to hit, +3 to AC, and either +3 and base damage, or +6 and double damage, depending on what type of critter he is. now.


Male Human 3rd

Humm Ias I was close, and talking to Sondergang put me on i-14 and I got on Init 15 then

Navron seeing the threat and armed only with his dagger calls upon his arcane powers to slicken the floor around the undead foe, hoping to slow him down and give the others more time to act and the guests more time to flee

Am casting grease on the floor around the undead, but aiming to not catch the bystanders in the grease


Bribes always welcome
Crystal D'glaese wrote:

So, the actuall start of the round?

All Crystal can do is point behind the man, even as her gaze is torn away by the cry from Mellie and Lady Arianna.

Perception Check:1d20+6

So, what am I seeing that is effecting them? Or are they reacting to seeing the demise of the poor Baron?What has become of my two previous Perception checks?

With definite un-lady like action, Crystal simply leans down and tears the hem of her gown from ankle to waist, the better to facilitate her motions.

Crystal's actions for Round One declared. ;)

Yes, I should clarify. The undead is rising this round. You all get one free action/attack round. Then we roll forward with Merzhan's group init


Bribes always welcome
Daris to'Evaryth wrote:

Daris goes on a 12. I'm fine with her position.

Daris looks over the shoulder at the huscarl at the rising corpse of the Baron. (Detect Evil on the corpse)

Her tone loses any semblance of reasonableness. "Your lord has risen. See what he has become."

By luck and timing, this is just before the bolt from the priest causes the newly risen corpse to crackle.

She also shifts closer to the table, looking for a carving knife and a serving dish lid. (Improvised dagger and buckler, basically).

** spoiler omitted **

Daris:

Spoiler:
The corpse radiates evil like a beacon

The baron's housecarl turns and shrieks, backpedaling away from the gooey maggot mess his lord has become

Daris, your pathway for smiting is now clear ..


Bribes always welcome
Crystal D'glaese wrote:
perception

Sorry Crystal, your perceptions are fine, but there wasn't much to perceive that wasn't pikestaff plain

Mellie and Arianna are frozen at the rear hallway entrance. They are staring wide-eyed at the maggot-covered skeleton rising from the floor


Bribes always welcome
Navorn wrote:
Am casting grease on the floor around the undead, but aiming to not catch the bystanders in the grease

Navorn casts his slippery spell. The mound of maggots is covered in oil, stopping their inching, humping advance across the floor. The skeleton totters and falls prone.

Well, poor maggyeyes is going to be in trouble I can see :P


Bribes always welcome

So, everyone post up two round's worth of actions. you have the first round, and Navorn has given you a second. If there is anything left at the end we will take it from the top of round Three.


Female Teifling Bard 2

Two rounds of action? Okay

Seeing the mound acting independently of the skeletal undead has Crystal worried, but she is too professional to let such emotions show. Taking a five foot step around Daris to'Evaryth (Moving from f-19 to g-20) She simply uses a chair to step up onto the nearest table (A direct line from g-20 to h-20) from her elevated position she calls for people to be calm and tries to instill some order and propriety into the proceedings.

"People! Calm! The heroes of the pass, the great slayers of the Demon Ogre shall protect you! What needs you fear from some simple pile of lowly bugs?"

Bardic Perform to give Allies a +1 to moral etc:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Who is the person at c-21? The movement onto the table and the Bardic ability should be the two rounds, yes?


Realising she is farthest from the action and seeing her comrades scavenge for improvides weapons, Corvus makes some quick decisions.

Firstly she looks for anything that could be used as a sword or dagger.

Perception roll 1d20 ⇒ 17

Then she raises her voice, remaining calm and imposing at the same time.

"Could everyone please leave by the nearest exit. Move quickly but don't run."

Diplomacy roll 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


Halfling Spellthief 3

A spell! Hmm, that gesture combined with the stick of butter he just swiped off the table means...

Spellcraft check to identify the grease spell and determine if the grease is flammable: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Kolo fumbles through his pockets for a tindertwig, a plan starting to form in his mind.

If he determines (correctly or not) that the grease spell is flammable, he'll run forward, strike the tindertwig, and toss it onto the spell's effect, hoping to catch the swarm of maggots and roast them before they can do ... whatever it is they plan to do.


Female Silver Elf Paladin 3

Daris steps closer to the skeletal remains of the Baron.

(5' step to an adjacent area)

"By the laws of nature recorded by the Law-weaver, as life abhors unlife, I condemn the spirit that profanes the memory of the Baron."

(Invoke "Smite Evil" a a free action)

Her entire body shimmers with faint gold and silver overlapping squares, something that the undead corpse cannot abide.

Her hand, still glowing with the ruby light of the Law-weaver's will, reaches out to touch the skeleton (using the Lay On Hands ability for a touch attack).

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 261d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

(Double damage if I hit.)

===

Second round:

Repeat touch attack on skeleton with Lay On Hands and Smite Evil.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 241d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

(Double damage if I hit.)


Male Dwarf Fighter 3

"Argh, now what?" Borondon moves up to the risen corpse F14 on the first round and takes a swing.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
1d10 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Apply whatever penalties for being drunk.

Second round:

And another swing.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
1d10 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

The Exchange

Male Human Sorceror 3

Standing almost majestically in the midst of the chaos, Merzhan raises an outstretched hand. A glow spreads along his arm as a ray of pure sunlight lances out toward the maggot riddled abomination.

"Let the glory of the Dawnflower's light banish this defiler's form from her sacred place."

Disrupt undead

Ranged touch 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Damage 1d6 ⇒ 6

Round 2

Ranged touch 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Damage 1d6 ⇒ 3

Crit Confirmation

Ranged touch 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Damage 1d6 ⇒ 3


Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (favoured class)

Sondergang growls low in his throat as the maggoty skeleton rises..

"Torag aid me" he cries "back..back to the foul pit you came fromfell spirit" as he draws his hammer and calls down the fires of Torags forge on the creature.

channel energy against the undead2d6 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11


Male Human 3rd

If I recall morale bonus do not stack do they?


Bribes always welcome
Navorn wrote:
If I recall morale bonus do not stack do they?

Nossir, AFAIK they don't. Highest one rulez..

The party turns on the prone skeleton and blasts it to bits, with a little assistance from the few housecarls that managed not to flee in terror.

The swarm of necrotic maggots seems to have been suffocated by the infusion of oil which by the way, is a thick oil and not very flammable. The channeled energies of the priests and Merzhan crisp the few that managed to escape the oil bath. The weapon blows shatter the prone skeleton before it can rgain its feet.

That was a real good spell to cast Navorn. That swarm was nooooo good :)

The party is left standing in an almost deserted festival hall. Most of the guests escaped unharmed, thanks to Crystal and a few other level-headed folks. The smell of corruption and oil fills the air.

The few baronial guard left look about wildeyed. At this moment a horn sounds distantly three times. The baron's men jerk their heads up.

"That's the wall horn!" One exclaims "Three blasts means enemies at the gate!"


Male Human 3rd

A few questions here, are we in the town, or outside the town? and does the town have a gate and wall?

With a sour expression on his face Navorn says "Sigh a siege, I found myself under dressed for such an occasion." Looking around at the others "Shall we get properly dressed and see who has come uninvited?"


Bribes always welcome
Navorn wrote:
A few questions here, are we in the town, or outside the town? and does the town have a gate and wall?

In town, in the baron's castle. The baron's castle is built into the town wall, which surrounds the original town, but not a lot of the newer neighborhoods. The town wall does have a gate, two actually.


Male Human 3rd

Any chance of making it back to the Inn to get armed and armored? or are we stuck in the castle?


Male Dwarf Fighter 3

Borondon sighs "Can't a dwarf enjoy a proper night of revelry in this town?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 3

Eitri rushes to the outer wall to see what is happening.


Male Dwarf Cleric 1 (favoured class)

Sondergang looks at his comrades.."It would seem that my jest wasn't so much of a jest...arm yourselves my friends the enemy is at the gates and we have a job to do"

With that he dashes after Eitri


Female Teifling Bard 2

Crystal smiles at the parties efforts as she steps lightly down off the table. Gathering Mellie and Arianna up she pauses long enough to say,

"I shall meet you all in the thick of things, but first I must help my friends here to safety."

Nodding her goodbyes to the other party members she escorts the pair to the Ladies chambers.

Arianna's rooms here in the castle should be very well placed and protected oh DM? Then it's a matter of figuring out how long it will take to get back to the Inn and properly dressed?


A similar question to the others. Can I get back to collect my armour and weapons or do I have to make do with what I can acquire here?


Bribes always welcome

Everyone can go get their gear.

There is a tumult outside the castle keep as soldiers in the baronial guard man the wall. The bailey is full of action as the guards prepare for whatever faces them outside the walls.

2,151 to 2,200 of 2,513 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Expedition to Tharkad-Kûl All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.