GM Dak - Second Darkness

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 2: Children of the Void
Part 1: The Great Skymetal Rush

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Moonday, 1st of Calistril, 4709
Current Day: Toilday, 2nd of Pharast, 4709


1,651 to 1,700 of 1,821 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>

CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Everyone but Thyra goes to work on putting out the fires. Thyra moves after the severally injured thug who still has an alchemist fire. Even though she avoids slipping in the grease, some is still on her feet so when she moves to attack she slips a little and it throws off her swing.

Everyone except Hedran is slowly starting to get their fires under control Takes 2 full round to extinguish and everyone moved last round so it will still be two more before they are out. Hedran's fire is bigger though, since there were two alchemist fires thrown there and he likely won't be able to manage it alone.

The captain comes rushing up the stairs finally, joining the rest of you. It takes him to realize what is happening but looks ready to rush in and try to help save his ship.

The injured thugs steps away from Thyra and tosses his alchemist fire at the mast near Nessa and Cameron causing more flames to erupt and splash Nessa and Cameron with some of the fire. In the process he passes out from the exertion. The other men start to make a break for it and run away.

Round 5
> Sarai/Thyra/Cameron/Hedran/Nessa,
Enemy

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai has fiendish resistance that makes her all but immune to being scorched by the smaller flames. She runs over to Hedran to help once her fire is extinguished.

"Someone really wants to stop us from investigating that island!"


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

Frustrated with her inability to stop the thugs, Thyra grabs the one that fainted by the shirt and drags him back to the ship to prevent his comrades from coming back for him. She takes her time getting past the grease (unless it gets dispelled) and dumps the limp form on the deck of the ship before heading over to help put out the flames.

Let me know if you still want a Reflex save.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 4 | HP 33 / 37 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +7 fort +4 ref +7* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +6 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +15 Sense Motive +7

Cameron flinches when burning splatter from the alchemists fire sprayed over him. Gritting his teeth he continued to battle the flames, using his increasingly scorched cloak to smother the fire.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hedran would love to chase the cowards, but he continues on his task of putting out the flames.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With everyone working on the flames, including the captain, you manage to get the fire under control before it spreads to the rest of the ship. Luckily the damage isn't too extensive, merely resulting in damaged sails and rigging.

The captain sighs and shakes his head "What in the world is all this? I dock for only a couple days and pick up new passengers and then my ship nearly burns down? I'm assuming this has something to do with you lot?"

He looks to the burnt mess and sighs again "I can get this fixed, once the crew gets back but I expect you to cover the expenses. It should only take a days work so we can set off the morning after next..."

It will cost 15 gold to repair the ship


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Why would you expect us to pay the expenses? What makes you think we have anything to do with this?" - Hedran replies with a frown - "They seemed more intent in harming your ship than us - could it not have simply been one of your competitors?"


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The captain laughs "Ha! I don't have any competitors, not around these parts. I'm a racer, not some tradesman and I've never had problems like this before, until that elf commissioned me for you. Normally, I wouldn't even do that, but he offered to pay over double the standard passenger fees and I had some time to burn while we resupplied so I figured why not. Seems now it may not have been worth it..."

He looks at the burnt sails and rigging and then back to the group "I gave my word I would transport you for the agreed upon payment, but we can't go anywhere with this mess and I'm not asking for early pay back from my crew because of what ever trouble you all are tangled up in. So, you pay, we get it fixed and then we go. No more shore leave for the crew and we make sure this doesn't happen again."

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai sighs as she hands over her share of the gold. "You're expensive, and you better be worth it," she says. "I was just starting to come into some money again--don't make me regret this."

3 gold each


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

While she doesn't say anything in front of the captain, Thyra looks a little upset about her companions reaction to the captain's request for recompense. SHe hands over her share of the payment, adding "We appreciate your willingness to help us, Captain. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to move things along."

She then moves over to the one thug that was left behind and does what she can to make sure that he doesn't die, though she does bind his hands and feet to keep him from escaping. [occ]She casts a cure light wounds on him, if necessary.[/ooc]

Once the thug is awake, she goes to work at trying to find out who sent them and why.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Thyra gets to questioning the remaining thug. She heals him up before he bleeds out and wakes him up. He is a little shocked at first to find himself bound and onboard the ship but when she tries throwing her weight around he just waits for the pain, obviously more worried about his employer than this woman threatening him.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hedran pays up - "Here is the money, but you can rest assured if I have to lift a finger to assist with anything on board during this trip, I will be charging you for it" - he snarls, then heads toward Thyra and the captive thug.

"Maybe it is best to just let the boat crew handle him" - he adds in a foul mood.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Assuming Nessa pays her share with the others

The captain takes the coin and nods, then goes to see to his two unconscious men. Once he is able to rouse them he sends one off with the gold. Instructing him to gather the crew and to make arrangements for the repairs.

He looks toward the one thug as the group is talking to him and notes "Aye, if you don't have plans for him, then I surely do after the trouble he and his lot caused." He motions toward the other sailor, who is still sitting on the ground rubbing his sore head and notes "Hooper here will secure him once you are done with him, if you have no other plans. In any case, I will see you all the morning after next to set sail."

With that the captain returns below deck leaving you to your own devices.

Let me know what you plan to do with the thug and if you have any plans for the rest of the evening. Additionally, if you have any plans for your 'day of waiting on repairs'. Otherwise, I will jump us forward to the morning of departure.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai is liking this situation less and less, but decides to talk to the thug.

"Why don't you tell us who you're working for. The captain is planning to fill your underclothes with lead and send you to the bottom for ruining his ship, but if you'll cooperate we can make sure that doesn't happen," she purrs.

bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2
GM Dak wrote:
He looks toward the one thug as the group is talking to him and notes "Aye, if you don't have plans for him, then I surely do after the trouble he and his lot caused." He motions toward the other sailor, who is still sitting on the ground rubbing his sore head and notes "Hooper here will secure him once you are done with him, if you have no other plans. In any case, I will see you all the morning after next to set sail."

Thyra watches the captain with scrutiny, not sure what to make of his offer. She uses her divine abilities to search for any evil in the man. (Detect Evil; Su)

Assuming that she sees nothing, then she lets the captain have the thug, with the caveat that he hand the man over to the authorities when he done with him. Otherwise, she politely rejects his offer and takes the man to an officer on her own.

Either way, she spends the extra day working in the forges, and the night working with the new crew at the Gold Goblin.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 4 | HP 33 / 37 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +7 fort +4 ref +7* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +6 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +15 Sense Motive +7

While Sarai was interrogating the captive, Cameron regarded him with a disapproving scowl. If the man was hiding something, he wouldn't be surprised.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Muttering to the Caprain, Cameron suggested "What this scum needs is a good keelhauning!"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 4 | HP 28/30 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 14 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 5/7, 2nd 4/4

With the fires out Nessa gathered with the others to speak again with the Captain. The fact he wasn't abandoning the job was good, the fact that he was charging them for damages ticked her off a little. She thought about try to seduce him instead of paying the money, it would be far more enjoyable, but she decided he didn't deserve the please of being with her so she took out the three coins and paid up.

As they began to try intimidating the captive Nessa added her own threat and said, "Please Cam, that's too good a fate for him." She walked towards the man seductively and leaned close to him as she said, "I bet I could reach my spawn donor, I'm sure she'd love to have a mortal guest for eternity in the Abyss." She said it sweetly as she drew her claws lightly over the man's throat without breaking the skin and then snapped at him with her fangs in threat.
Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

After everyone else's attempts Nessa seems to break through to the man as he starts to cry "No... n..noo! I'll tell ya what ya want to know!" He starts to spill the beans and tells you everything that he knows in between sniffles and pleads for mercy.

He notes that he and the others were paid 20 gold apiece by Clegg Zincher to make sure that no other ships bound for Devil’s Elbow set out until, at the very least, the end of the month. He assumes that Zincher simply wants to limit the amount of competition for skymetal harvesting, but beyond this, he knows little more of interest.

Just to clarify it took a few successes to actually break the man where he was willing to tell you anything, so it was a group effort but Nessa's threat was the one that pushed it over. :)

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai's face contorts into a scowl.

"If I weren't a lady I would spit," she says. "This crime lord is a massive thorn in our side right now. He's making me want to stop playing nice. But, perhaps this means we won't see many others out there."


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

"As I was saying... This had nothing to do with us specifically" - Hedran shakes his head with a chuckle, and shrugs his shoulders.

"He's just a corrupt criminal merchant being a corrupt criminal merchant I guess Sarai" - he adds, then whispers something he does not want the thug to hear - "Though I agree with you, torns in the side usually need to be taken out, with time and patience. Or a strong yank"


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

So, still leaving the man with the captain? Thyra did not detect evil. Also, any plans for your day of downtime or are we ready to get to sailing?

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

I don't really have any plans for the day of downtime. I'd already done purchases. Any other thoughts? I'm good just waiting by the ship and protecting it. I'm also fine leaving the guy with the captain.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 4 | HP 33 / 37 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +7 fort +4 ref +7* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +6 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +15 Sense Motive +7

The man might be neutral or low level, but he tried to set fire to the boat with us in it. No mercy.

"We should weigh anchor as soon as possible, in case this happens again..." remarks Cameron.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hedran is fine with delivering the man to the captain. He tends to be ill disposed toward people who try to set him on fire :P


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

The 'detect evil' spell was actually for the captain, not the thug. She wanted to ascertain his intentions with the prisoner. Though in hindsight, a 'detect law/chaos' spell may have been good, too.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Repairs delay the initial plan to leave Riddleport for Devil’s Elbow, but the crew is quick and by early afternoon everything has been repaired for the Flying Cloud to set sail for Devil’s Elbow in the morning. The journey is short, and the ship covers the 18-mile voyage in a mere 5 hours, reaching the island about an hour after noon.

The forested island is quiet as the ship approaches; no signs of life are immediately apparent. As you get closer you notice a low ridge forms a spine along the length of the island, its slopes covered with dense forest and its shores affording very few safe places to land. Two stone towers rise above the level of the surrounding trees along the top of the island’s ridge, one to the east and one at the island’s center. A thin plume of smoke rises from a point about midway between those two towers at the height of the island’s ridge.

Yet the most dramatic sight as the ship nears its destination is the immense crater on the island’s northeastern slopes. The crater itself is hundreds of feet wide and surrounded by an even larger swath of burnt trees that have been knocked flat in a burst pattern around the impact site. It seems the region’s frequent rainstorms and damp conditions prevented the fire from consuming the entire island, yet in all nearly a quarter of the island’s forest was destroyed by the impact.

Captain Creesy seems unusually nervous as the ship nears the island, and the sight of the immense crater does little to calm his nerves. As he is making preparations to bring the ship in to dock he calls you all to a brief meeting "Alright, so your elven friend paid for a trip here and back, but I'd rather not stay in the region while you do whatever it is you've come here to do. Maybe we set a date for me to return and pick you up? How long do you think you will be?"


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

Thyra looks on in awe at the devastation wrought by the comet, shaken by the thought of the near miss that Riddleport actually had.

When they meet up with the captain, she nods in agreement. "That is probably for the best, after our initial welcome at the docks." She looks to her companions, "I'm wondering if 3 days is sufficient."


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 4 | HP 33 / 37 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +7 fort +4 ref +7* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +6 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +15 Sense Motive +7

"Hard to say exactly, I'm hoping it will be no more than a week. Once we're closer and have had a look I'm sure we'll have a better idea." replied Cameron. Might be worthwhile using several augury spells on the way to try and work out if a week is enough.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Impressive" - Hedran nods at the sight of the huge crater, then turns to the others, with a shrug - "I have absolutely no idea how long it may take us to explore this area..."

Dak, do we have an idea of how big the island is?

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai frowns at the thought of the boat leaving them stranded on the island, especially since she doesn't quite trust the captain.

"If you came back in three days and we weren't ready, could we arrange for you to make another pass?" she asks the captain.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 4 | HP 28/30 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 14 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 5/7, 2nd 4/4

When they boarded the ship again to set sail for the Devil's Elbow Nessa did her best to enjoy the trip. It was her first time sailing on a vessel and it was kind of fun. She spent her time, as she could, in the bow feeling the wind and spray in her face as the ship sailed along to the island. Once she even stretched out and spread her wings imagining that she was flying low over the waves until she was told to get back from there because of the danger of falling overboard and getting drug along the bottom of the ship. That sobered her up quickly and she went back to join the others again.

As they began to discuss how long they would need to be there Nessa considered carefully. "If someone has a spell thy can use to speak at a distance that might be the best option. If you were to come back every three days we could know to send the message at a specific time to let you know whether to get us or go on your way."


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The captain nods to the Sarai and Nessa's suggestion "I have a bit of time to tend to some business before I am off again so I can return in three days and wait until night fall. If I don't hear from you by then I will circle back again in another three days. I'll do it once more after that before I need to move on to other things and you all are on your own."

So you essentially have a little over a weeks time to at least get back in touch with the captain and either leave or find a way to convince him to keep checking back.

Getting a good look at the island as you approach you see it is almost in a crescent shape. Tip to tip along the curve you estimate the island is about 6 miles wide.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai nods and sighs.

"You better come back for me," she says to the captain. "If not, I'll hunt you down," she says with a wink, though she's only half kidding.

"Get us as close to the crater as you can, I guess."


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

I am assuming we bought extra travelling rations before leaving? Hedran has enough for 8 days at the moment :P


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Yeah you can buy extra rations if needed ahead of time.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

Think we are good to go then?


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

I'm thinking so. Thought I had posted something, but it must have gotten lost in the ether. :(


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Put up a MAP of the island for reference. A is the pier, B the crater, C a small village, and D two different lighthouses.

The captain nods but there isn't a good landing spot near the crater, but he sails up to the old pier and let's you disembark there. Only a few minutes after the ship docks and the you are disembarking, a voice calls out from the seemingly abandoned buildings “Ahoy, the ship! Ahoy! Goldhammer’s Expedition requesting permission to approach!”

The captain watches wearily and signals for his men to prepare for a fight. As you look down to where the voice came from a hearty dwarf comes out of one of the buildings, followed by two more dwarves and two humans, all starting toward the docks. The lead dwarf holds his hands up to show he is not armed and motions for his men to do the same. All of their clothes are torn and filthy and their faces are tired and haggard.

The group stops a ways back waiting for the groups word.

Thyra:
You're fairly certain you've seen this dwarf before at the Gas Forges in passing when you've gone to to 'pray'.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai peers at the dwarves with no small measure of suspicion. "What happened to these guys?" she wonders.

"Thyra, these are your people--go talk to them."

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

Recognizing the dwarf, Thyra approaches the team, though she is wary enough to keep some distance between them. "Good day, brother." she greets the dwarf. She holds her hammer over her shoulders, the attaches chain wrapped around her arm so that the holy symbol on the end is visible. "What brings you and your crew here to this forsaken place?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 18


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sarai remains cautious spurring Thyra to go forward first, but at least she doesn't notice anything threatening or concerning from the approaching group.

Thyra steps forward to greet the dwarf and asks him his business. The dwarf gives a tired smile as he steps closer to Thyra "Thyra right? I 'ave seen ya 'round tha forge unless I be mistaken? I donnea believe we 'ave been properly introduced. I'm Gravin Goldhammer official representative of tha Gas Forges. As fer me an ma crew... yer right 'bout this damn cursed island... we are all that be left of me expedition and I be 'oping tha' we could mayhaps catch a ride back ta Riddleport on yer ship?"


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 3/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +9 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 shield) || hp 34/34 || Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hedran stays close to Thyra, but in silence.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

"Why don't you tell us what happened to your expedition first," Sarai says.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The dwarf shrugs "If it get's us a ride outta 'ere I be tellin' ya whatever ya want ta ask. We came lookin' fer skymetal, of course. Overlord Cromarcky hired my boss ta send us out 'ere. Unfortunately, we got 'ere too late, but them stories about Virashi’s Curse are right—mostly. Only it ain’t ghosts what haunt this place, no. It’s monsters. Low-ta-tha-ground things, fast and lean. Never did get me a good look at one of 'em, even with 'em snatching a few of me men and dragging 'em off into tha woods. A few others got bit or slashed, and their wounds turned bad. Some sort of sick got in 'em, and then, when they died, it came back out their faces. Torag’s scars, but that were a sight I’d like to unsee. Came right out of their faces like they were tongues, and then me own men attacked us. We put 'em down and burned the bodies just this morning. Whatever’s out there, it’s not fit fer this world. Ya shouldn’t stay here. If ya had any sense, ya’d get back on that boat and 'ead right back to Riddleport!"


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2

Thyra nods at Gravin in understanding. "We'll take it under advisement, but at the moment I don't think that we can be ignoring the possibilities that this offers. If you need a lift back to Riddleport, I'll talk to the captain on your behalf, and pay his fee, if necessary. Would ye be willing ta fill us in on this curse, though? Virashi, ye said? I've not heard this tale." He speech quickly reverts to the dwarven brogue as she converses with Goldhammer.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 4 | HP 33 / 37 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +7 fort +4 ref +7* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +6 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +15 Sense Motive +7

"By The Dreamer what a dreadful way to go!" muttered Cameron. He wondered if he could identify the horrors from the dwarf's description but nothing he'd heard bit fit the bill.

Kn: Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 4 | HP 12/27 | AC 19; TAC 12; FFAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +3; Will +8 | Init: +9 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 (+10 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: None. ; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (4 rds); Judgement: 2/2 | Daily Spells: 1st - 4/4, 2nd - 2/2
Cameron Hawkwinter wrote:
"By The Dreamer what a dreadful way to go!" muttered Cameron. He wondered if he could identify the horrors from the dwarf's description but nothing he'd heard bit fit the bill.

That is a good point. Monster-ID is an Inquisitor's wheelhouse.

Knowledge (religion) - Monster Lore: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Applied the relevant skill (know. dungeon.)

Cameron has no idea what these creatures might be. Based of the dwarves description Thyra thinks it might be some sort of aberration, but she's not sure what it is specifically.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 18; Tch 14; FF 14 | F +2; R +7; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6+1) | Perc +10

Sarai isn't sure how to handle this situation, and addresses it with her companions.

"Should we have them wait for us to explore and then all return together? I, for one, do not have the funds to pay for them to take our ride back. We need it ourselves."


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

The dwarf shakes his head "Ya donnea need ta pay fer us. We can cover ourselves. Jus' maybe put in a word with yer captain fer us?"

1,651 to 1,700 of 1,821 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under a Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.