DM-Camris' WRATH of the RIGHTEOUS Part 2: SWORD OF VALOR

Game Master Camris

SECTION 3: THE SIEGE OF DREZEN
After arriving in Drezen, the heroes lead their army against the demons and cultists arrayed in the city, ultimately laying siege to Citadel Drezen.
->Kyra's Killer Loot Tracker<-
STRATEGIC MAP
RUINS OF DREZEN
RUINS OF DREZEN--ENEMY POSITIONS PHASE 2
Tactical combat map.


451 to 500 of 580 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

He opened his mouth and then closed it again. He couldnt help but smile.

"I suppose its fair that we didnt mention it yet, it hasnt really come up. There is an army down at the base of the cliffs. We are on a mission to liberate Drezin while most of its demon defenders are gathering south. The Queen has forces south to hold their eye while we strike back."

He paused looking over the horde of healing potions and a genuine smile alit upon his face, the first one that had truly been there since the disapearance of Thetin and Kankai.

[b]"We have fought already two small battles against teiflings loyal to the enemy and removed their taint from the lands. They are camped below while we came to check out these ruins. We have plenty of time to search for other secrets while we recover these for the knights gathered below."

Ninjas! *lawls*


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

”We . . . Have . . . An Army . . . And the Queen . . . Has an army to the south . . . To allow us to liberate Drezin . . .”

The Paladin puts a hand on the wall corner and grips it.

”If we could retake Drezin . . .”

Arthas puts a hand to his head.

”You aren’t leading me on here I hope. I mean . . . That would be huge!”

He begins pacing taking in the enormity of it.

”It would make all the loss worth it. Worthy. Oh my gosh.”

”I must go outside for a moment.”

Arthas stands blinking.

”You’re serious?!”

HP: 1d10 ⇒ 8

”I feel, new strength flowing into me . . . Like the Chaplain said he felt before leading us here. I feel . . . Stronger.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Climbing down the side of the dry riverbed, Arthas can see the three companies of 100 paladins, their mounts and supply train.
Inside the command tent, he is introduces to command staff as the new bearer of Radiance.
Sir Irabeth Tirabade, General and Commanding Officer.
Half Orc female, solid, level headed, commanding. An Item with Anevia.
Sir Sosiel Vaenic, Pastor of the church of Shelyn in Kenabres. You Chief of Clerical support and Battalion Hospitaller.
Sosiel is a dark skinned male human who projects a sense of calm and serenity. He is tall, impeccable in appearance in his clerical vestments and well-worn gear, and inspires those around him by his very appearance.
His faith and inspiring attitude grants the army a +1 bonus to its morale—(this bonus is included in your Army stats.)
Lady Nurah Dendiwhar, Master Bard. Your Chief of Inspiration and Communication.
Nurah is a short blond haired Halfling with a brilliant smile and bounces with suppressed energy. She is informally dressed, and while she mostly uses percussion instruments, she also carries around a horn almost as big as she is.
Her skill at bolstering courage and lightening spirits grants the army a +1 bonus to its OM—(This bonus is included in your Army stats.)
Lord Horgus, Count Gwerm, your Quartermaster and Chief of Supply.
Even the most expensive robes ever made cannot prevent Horgus from looking like a dumpy middle aged clerk. Surprisingly skilled, doubtful of our heroes.
His support reduces the army’s Consumption score by 2.
Sir Aron Kir, Tactition and Siege warfare engineer.
This sandy haired human male is barely thirty, but he looks older because of his lined and weathered face. He wears practical and relatively inexpensive plate/mail. Professional skeptic.
His skill at tactics grants the army a +1 bonus to its DV—
(This bonus is already included in your Army stats.)

Sir Arles, Captain of Company A.
This human male with graying hair looks like a hard bitten veteran of many conflicts. His armor, though cleaned and polished, has scratches and dents no armorsmith can buff out. He merely bows at you with no comment, looking skeptical of your abilities.
Sir Freidrich, Captain of Company B.
Very distinguished looking human male. Great piety. He wears very nice formal plate armor with a crest denoting that he is an heir of a very old Sarkoris noble family. Florid, almost archaic accent.
Sir Mathis, Captain of Company C.
This huge human male looks like a stereotype. Blond, bright white smile, shining plate armor. Tremendous charisma, not too bright, kind of a zealot.
Master Aravashnial of the Riftwardens, Head of your Arcane magic support.
Tall male elf, robed and with a staff, serious, handsome, graceful, focused. Powerful counterspeller.
Grants the army Spellbreaker as a bonus tactic, increasing the army’s DV by 4 against armies with the spellcasting ability.
Madame Anevia Tirabade, Head of Scouts.
Average looking, cheerful, sneaky archer, an item with Irabeth.
Her reports help gain your army battlefield advantage,
increasing its OM and DC by 2.


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

"A victorious army, so far." Carilain tells Arthas.


F Aasimar (Angelkin) Sorceress (Celestial Bloodline) 7/Mythic Tier 1: Archmage HP: 44/54 F+6 R+6 W+9. Init +2. Perception +4 AC: 13(17) Touch:13 FF: 11(15)

"Arthas, allow me to introduce you to Sir Irabeth Tirabade, General and commander of this fine fighting force." Alorah says with a gin as she leads them toward Irabeth.


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Arthas arraigned his military awards before entering the tent so that the others could see them.

He makes the Sign of the Wings to Irabeth and gives her a curt but respectful bow.

”The honor and pleasure is all mine Lord General. I had thought my unit lost and alone on a failed quest when your gathered champions found me.”

”During the battle above, we were able to secure Radiance which the enemy was hell bent to destroy.”

”I am General Grievance’s tool and he has granted Radience to take the form of his own sword. They told me up top about the Queen and your quest to liberate Drezin. It made the loss of my Battle Brothers on this plane seem a worthy sacrifice and renewed my faith.”

”The sword bids me to show it to you.”

Arthas slowly lifts the sword from its scabbard as its golden brilliance fills the campaign tent.

”I present to you as it’s bearer Radiance proof that the Heavens still watch us and urge us forward in our sacred duties and missions.”

Diplomacy and Crusader Surge for Leadership: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 8 + (1) = 29

Natural 20! I was going to look up my charisma medal too, but I don’t think I need it!


The collective command personnel fell to their knees in awe (though Lord Horgus was a little slow there).

Perception DC25 or Sense Motive DC20:
Aaron Kir flinched a little too, which is odd.

Perception DC30 or Sense Motive DC25:
Nurah looked shocked for a moment, which was odd.


Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

top set
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
sense motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
bottom set
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
sense motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

He hadnt been paying a lot of attention to the gathered group but he did notice a slight...flinching from one of the crusaders. It was certainly odd. He would have to give it thought and bring it up to the others when he had the chance.


After Arthas is taken to the Quartermasters to be outfitted with basic equipment, armor, tent and new mount, the army gets up and moves out again.
The skies are almost always overcast with black and red clouds. When they part, the sky seems dull in color at day, and at night the stars are all wrong, as if one were looking up at an alien realm above.
Navigation in the Worldwound is difficult as a result, but in this case the command staff have plotted a course following the ancient Ahari river gorge so navigation isn’t an issue. The banks of the Ahari riverbed protect the army forces, so they are not plagued by things like supernatural storms or the like.
The difficult terrain of the riverbed route to Drezen halves movement rates though—the army can only cover 18 miles a day here rather than 36 miles.

After the vescavor swarms are cleared, it’s only a few more hours of marching before the army nears the ruins of Drezen.

The riverbed rises at a noticeable slope for these last few miles, rising up out of the Ahari gorge, and a stink of smoke and grime can be detected on the wind—a telltale sign of a city fallen to filth and horror.


The next day, Anevia invites the heroes up a narrow trail to the top of a high rock, and there you get your first glimpse of fabled Drezen.
DREZEN OVERVIEW


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

do we make one Perception and Sense motive roll? Or two for each person?


One roll for whichever skill you think is more effective for that situation...


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

Carilain moves away from the officers to cast detect magic without drawing attention. Then he saunters over to where he can give Aaron Kir a good scanning.

Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

K, Arcana: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15


F Aasimar (Angelkin) Sorceress (Celestial Bloodline) 7/Mythic Tier 1: Archmage HP: 44/54 F+6 R+6 W+9. Init +2. Perception +4 AC: 13(17) Touch:13 FF: 11(15)

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Alorah takes in the view of the fallen city with both sadness and apprehension. "It's going to be near impossible for a sizable force to approach without being seen fro those towers. Even a small group will have trouble."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Arthas detects evil on those assembled in the Command Tent. He spends several rounds reaching out among them, trying to weight their hearts.

—————— looking over the city ——————

”It appears some of the towers are split and cloven. Those could be access points. Too bad we don’t have a dwarf with us. Dwarves always seem to have a hidden way in. They built the fortress of course.”

”Do we plan to assault in mass? Or enter the fortress as a smaller unit? Or a combination of the two?”

”I assume we, as in our army, has scouts which can determine how occupied the place is?”

”If I were the enemy commander I would have a reserve force on the rise to the east . . . “

”I can’t imagine we have taken them by suprise.”


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

”I was thinking it might be good to seize the hill to the east first, actually...” Carilain comments.


Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

Along the way

Not forgetting the flinched look from Aaron Kir during the days travel he made his way torwards the man when he was able to. Keeping quiet and calm he broached the subject with the man.

"Brother Aaron, You are the siege engineer yes? Can you tell me a little of what we can expect once the battle starts with siege weaponry? I've never been involved in a siege battle."

He began starting with the subject matter the man know but when he was able he did slip in asking why he flinched at Sir Artha's speech with Radiance.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Cityview

"I dont know much about city fighting with an army, but we need to make sure we take a large contingent of paladins and priests and clear that cemetary. That bastard that tried to corrupt and steal Radience traveled with ghouls and worse. Ive no doubt a city that has fallen to demons has a cemetary not filled with undead monsters. It would be better to remove them from the enemies forces while we are at full strength lest we end up fighting them while too weak to stop them."

He put out there with a slight scowl.


Carilain:
When you cast Detect Magic and concentrate, you perceive nothing unusual in or around Aaron. He looks tense and worried, but this far into the Worldwound, that goes for everybody.

Alorah:
You perceive that Aaron is worried and tense, much like everyone else here in the Worldwound; but perhaps something more. He looks like he hasn't slept in... since you've met.

Arthas:
Detecting for Evil, you feel the presence of something... disturbing in the alignments. But no matter how hard you concentrate you cannot perceive anything specific; as if its traces are being muffled or cloaked.

Kelden:
You began to converse with Aaron and he engages you with his professional opinions on the fortifications you've seen so far. When you ask why he flinched, he opened his mouth as if to speak, then said "I don't know what you mean. His flourish just startled me, that's all."


As you all start talking about what to do, Knight Commander Irabeth bangs on the table.
What we're going to do is camp back here out of sight while our scouts earn their pay." She said, then nodded to Anevia.
Anevia blew her a kiss, then darted out the entrance flap.
Irabeth sighed. "We'll give them a day to get in and find out where the enemy is, then we can make plans. If the Queen is successful down south, the bulk of the demons here will have been called away."


"In the meantime, let's review the background of Drezen, the terrain where we'll be fighting."
She has several old maps pinned to boards erected and points out various features of the fortress and town.

OVERVIEW OF DREZEN

.Founded in 4628 ar by the crusaders to establish a lasting foothold in demon-controlled territory, the warhardened city of Drezen was engineered by talented dwarven crusaders.
.These dwarves carved the central citadel from a massive, granite plateau, using a style reminiscent of their ancient Sky Citadels, but the city fell before many upper stories or lower levels could be added.

.As work on Citadel Drezen commenced, greater numbers of stonemasons and architects toiled on the surrounding lands, and it didn’t take long before the city could house tens of thousands of crusaders and the many artisans, laborers, and other supporters of the war effort.
.River traffic and supply lines from Mendev continued to bring a steady influx of soldiers, even as two massive cemeteries were established to bury those they replaced.

.Unfortunately, Citadel Drezen fell to treachery in 4638, when an eager young dwarven paladin named Staunton Vhane removed the city’s greatest defense, the Sword of Valor, from its walls. Without it, the citadel was subjected to a blitz of cascading demon summonings from within it's very walls...


At this point the pointer in Irabeth's hand snapped under the increased pressure of her hand.
After a heavy moment, she continued.
"And nobody knew. For decades afterward he operated against us. It was only when I caught him sabotaging the Kite's defenses that we understood how deeply he had betrayed the Crusade.
"Did you know, I almost had him? We fought a running battle up the stairway to the parapets. When reinforcements arrived... he shattered my legs and flew off on a giant bee, if you can believe it."
She quirked a grin.
"I would dearly love to feed him to the Inquisition, to find out if there are any other traitors amongst us, his contacts and overseers...
"But he is a deadly opponent, and far smarter than he looks. Do not allow him any more victories.
"If you end up having to kill him, I will get over my disappointment."


Do you have any questions before camp is made for the night?


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

"Before we retire I would have a word with you Lord General and your Champions."

Arthas will wait until only Irabeth and the party are together.

"Sounds like Vhane has earned his way into the Inquisition's care General Irabeth. I am sure that my Patron would approve the issuance of a Writ of Extreme Vengeance against him with extreme prejudice. Although any punishment we could inflict here on Earth pales in the face of the rewards befit a traitor that will be visited upon him in Hell."

He pauses before looking everyone directly in their eyes in turn.

"But, it brings me to something that is troubling me. It seems traitors are everywhere and at the forefront of every downfall in our great endeavor's history. I worry about spies and collaborators among your host, though I am sure none are known to you General or surely you would have run them out. Has it seemed like the enemy has been waiting for you along your path? Like they are one step ahead of you at all times?"

He raises his hand in defense that he might be allowed to finish his thoughts.

"I only dare to offend you with this question is out of interest for our success."

"Detecting for Evil, I felt the presence of something... disturbing in the alignments. But no matter how hard I concentrated I could not perceive anything specific; as if its traces were being muffled or cloaked. Someone or something is among us."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

He paused and opened his mouth for a moment to speak but then stopped. Instead he took a long deep sigh and simply nodded towards the paladin.

"Of course there is."

He said simply and purposefully among the others, but his voice held no fear or worry.

"Always the enemies way has been sidling in from the side, attacking from behind. Its how they are most effective. I held no illusion that in this small host, worthy as it is, that perhaps some deep agent of the enemy is there hiding. We are no inquisition though. Launching a witch hunt now does us no good, and only strengthen's the enemy. If we focus on searching for a hidden threat it may breed resentment among the troops, worry that the man or woman beside them is a traitor. That... will destroy morale and end this attack quicker than a failed assault on the gates."

He paused and licked his lips, then spoke again.

"Nor do i think we should do nothing. I trust everyone here now without question. Those I shared a hand in with destroying the unfortunate wardstone without question are not agents of the enemy. That great plan failing could not have been a plot within a plot. I trust you Artha's because you wield Radiance, I am sure it wouldnt respond to you as it does if you were an agent of the enemy. And of course I trust you and even Anevia General Irabeth. Your actions in Kenebras put you above reproach and Anevia was with us the whole journey back to the surface. Honest I trust Horgus as well. His whole world was brought low due to the attacks of the enemy. He's a pompous ass but hes an honest one, even for the promise of all the riches in the world he would not accept the loss of what he had for the promise of more in the future I think."

Again he paused and slightly frowned.

"If... there is an enemy mole and a plot to stop us, i bet it would be an officer, or someone close to an officer. There is too much chance that on of the rank and file soldiers wouldnt have access to anything useful, or even have enough advance knowledge to be of use. The question is, what do you we do about it?"


Arthas wrote:
Has it seemed like the enemy has been waiting for you along your path? Like they are one step ahead of you at all times?"

Irabeth frowned in thought.

"I dislike your accusations intensely My Lord Arthas." She gritted out. "Every one of our soldiers is a Paladin in good standing, personally selected by the Queen!"
She paused, looking intensely at the ground as she gathered herself together.
"However... I mislike a number of things that happened along the road. The enemy taking the ford ahead of our arrival, the enemy garrison at the valley already in formation when we charged forth... I don't like the coincidence.
"And... not everyone here is a Paladin."

Kelden wrote:
"If... there is an enemy mole and a plot to stop us, i bet it would be an officer, or someone close to an officer. There is too much chance that on of the rank and file soldiers wouldnt have access to anything useful, or even have enough advance knowledge to be of use. The question is, what do you we do about it?"

Irabeth thought deeply.

"I think that if there is, there must be only one or two. All the betrayals, if that is what they were, only gave the enemy minutes; maybe an hour warning at best.
"Also, he must not have been aware of our strategic goal, or the city would still be packed full of demons. The Queen's strategic deception must have succeeded.
"I can only ask that for now you keep aware of what you say around the other staffers, and keep alert for anything that has a bearing on our suspicions.
"Perhaps after we get the scouting reports back we can think of something more."


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

”The commander of siege, Aaron Kir, how well do you know him, General?” Carilain asks Irabeth. ”He responded strangely when Arthas presented Radiance. Carilain waves an open hand. ”I’m not accusing him of anything, mind you.


Carilain wrote:
”The commander of siege, Aaron Kir, how well do you know him, General?”

"I'm afraid I don't know him well..." Said Irabeth, shaking her head. "He is one of the handpicked staff chosen and sent up here by the queen, and as such I would consider him above reproach.

"As for one who knows him well, you should speak with Lord Sosiel, the Battalion Chaplain. He and Aaron have been best friends since well before I knew them."


Sense Motive DC20:
As the command staff broke up for the evening, you see Lord Sosiel looking after Aaron. He looked... worried. Afraid even.


The next day, Irabeth called a meeting of the command staff. The scouts had returned with reports.

Inside the tent a large board with a sketch of Drezen had been pinned with small placards symbolizing enemy forces affixed at several places.

RUINS OF DREZEN--ENEMY POSITIONS


Anevia stepped forth and pointed at various points on the map.

"Here along the South bank we have two units of enemy forces.
"First, close to the bank of the dry river is a Company of Tieflings; much like the ones we encountered in Kenabres. Rogues and casters mixed together. Fairly weak compared to our forces.
"Next, further down the road to the West of the Tieflings is a base with Three Companies of Cultists and Mercenaries; a bigger threat than the Tieflings by far. They are based around several warehouses that look like they are storing captured Crusader equipment. Intact, quite valuable for our army."

Her pointer moved North.
"Here is a much tougher nut. A large number of schir demons hold Paradise Hill, once a district of warehouses and food stores that sat atop the high ground east of the citadel. It appears the demons are now using the area as a prison for captured crusaders—rescuing them could provide reinforcements for the army.
"Unfortunately, they have dug fortifications all around the hill, giving a serious bonus to their defenses.
"Several of our scouts went to Drezen Citadel itself, but have not returned; and I don't think they will now. Outside observers report nothing in the way of activity... but it feels like Something is watching anyway.
"Lastly, we haven't penetrated to the West side yet, but reports have the Cemetary being shrouded in shadow even at the height of what passes for daylight around here.
"That is it so far. Any questions?"
She asked, looking around at the staff.


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

Sense motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

After the meeting with Iribeth, Carilain goes to visit Lord Sosiel. "I've come to see you about Lord Kir. He reacted strangely when the weapon Radiance was presented. He sort of flinched. Perhaps the light bothered his eyes. I can't imagine what might cause the light sensitivity, but it might be good if you could look in on him."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

At next day's meeting, Carilain points out the bridge near the tiefling's position. "A natural choke point here. I would imagine that one of our squadrons could hold the tieflings there." The elf points at the map near the east edge. "So we exit the riverbottom here. It's no good for fighting, too boxed, can't maneuver, low ground." Carilain points to the road that runs between the red forest section from the east edge of the map toward the dark smudge at the base of Paradise Hill. "We take this road toward Paradise Hill, then split. One squadron must hold the bridge over the dry river against the tieflings, the rest need to capture Paradise Hill. Hopefully we can take the hill before the cultists can react. It's a dry river, not the barrier that a river of water would be."
Carilain steps back, looking embarrassed. "At least that what I think."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

"It looks like they have deployed in a way as to block access to the keep. The demons are in a position of advantage as long as they hold the elevation and goad us into attacking them in that terrain. Smashing the tieflings first might cause them to come down to us, but also bring the cultists to bear."

"If we held the bridge it would prevent the entire host from attacking us on multiple sides at once or force them to cross at the bridge further away which would still allow our full force to duke it out with the smaller ones."

"I dislike the fog of war that hangs over the cemetery, but I believe we have a weapon that could lift that blighted darkness."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Aaron approached the maps and looked at them with a critical eye.
"Aye my lords, I think you have the right of it regarding the bridge and a blocking force.
"Those Schir demons are tough, and entrenched on the high gound at Paradise hill. I would not try that without ALL our forces together. It would take some time to break them, enough time for the South Bank units to come up behind us. But that would leave only auxilliarys to block... IHm.
"The enemy on the South Bank is weaker, and separated to some degree. And the road does not seem barricaded..."

He backed up and looked over the dispositions again.
"My lords, I believe that we should attack the South Bank. With our forces all mounted, we should be able to overrun the Tieflings entirely and move down the South road to the Cultists before they can react.
"Even with no units detailed to block the bridge, I have doubts the Schir demons will abandon the defensive works built with such labor to help the South bank forces. Doing so would make them vulnerable to us if we withdraw from the Southbank to strike them while they're exposed. With our mobility, we can do it if needed.
"The decision is of course yours Commander."
He said, giving a sharp bow.


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

”I guess the question is: What kind of leader commands the demons on the hill. Are they mice, or are they men? If men, they would leave their entrenchments, and catch us in an envelopment. If mice, they will stay put.”
Carilain’s face takes on a crafty look. ”Of course, if they thought another army was menacing their position from the northeast, it would help them think more like mice.”
He turns to the elf wizard. ”How are you at illusion, Master Aravashniel?”


"Hm. I fear I may disappoint you in that respect Lord Carilain. My focus of study is in Conjuration and Abjuration."
He approached the maps and studied them while idly drawing on his pipe and blowing smoke in the form of fantastic creatures.
"If put to it, and with a day's preperation, I and my apprentices could create the visible and audio illusion of, say twenty armored knights on horseback, or a fifty man spear and shield phalanx. I could even march them around for an hour or so. Or perhaps a much wider area, say a hundred feet by a hundred feet of Hallucinatory Terrain.
"But if I were to do this, I would not be available to counter a serious demon cascade, if they assay it."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

”I still wonder what lies behind the unnatural darkness. There is a piece missing from the board which makes choosing our next move without knowing what it is risky.”

”The enemy host is placed and expecting us . . . Do they have intelligence about our likely battle plan might be?”

The Paladin tries to Detect Evil and locate its source.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Arthas:
Again, you do not detect any Evil. Again, you get the gut feeling that, rather than there being no Evil to detect, you are being PREVENTED from sensing it.


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Arthas rests his hand on Radiance's pommel for comfort while he waits for others to speak or make comment.

His mind was made up about something.


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

Carilain tries to remember what he has ever read, or heard about Shir demons.

Knowledge, planes: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

sense motive dc 20: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

He remembere the look given by Lord Sosiel torwards his friend Aaron the night before and while the reports were given on enemy position and what to do about it, he simply tried to get near Lord Sosiel. Leaning in he whispered very quietly to not interupt.

"Lord Sosiel a word with you if you please."

Slipping outside the tent he took a moment to speak freely.

"I saw the look of concern on your face last night after your friend. There are elements in the high command who have noticed...descrepancies in how the enemy is reacting to our moves and some believe there is a spy in place. As a follower of the Dawnflower I dont beleive any person is so far gone to the darkness they cannot find the light again, but others have noticed... oddities the last few weeks about your friend. What do you know, Is there anything we can do to help him stay in the light?"


Carilain:
Having met a couple of them fighting through the Grey Citadel in Kenabres and having consulted the sages who study such monsters, you know all there is to know about the Schir demons. You can consult the Bestiary about them. https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/demon-sc hir/


Lord Sosiel nodded to Kelden and walked with him outside the tent.

Listening to Kelden, Sosiel is shocked.
"What? No! What you suggest is flatly impossible!" He shouted.
Quieting down, he looked around first before whispering.
"I know because I share a tent with him. I would know if he were some manner of spy.
"I... had in mind consulting you about Aaron in any case. He has been suffering from nightmares lately. Ever since we entered the Worldwound itself."


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

Inside the tent Carilain frowns. [b]”Based on my knowledge of schir demons, I very much doubt that they will remain in their redoubts. Speed of attack is their thing. They will boil off the hill as soon as we engage the tieflings “/b]


Inside the command tent, Lady Nurah and the Captains of Company B and C are enthusiastically approving Sir Aaron's plan, clearly anticipating a glorious charge. While Sir Irabeth and the Captain of Company A motion at Carilain to expound on his plan. The others stood neutral.


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

"I stand by my original plan. One company to move forward to hold the bridge, and engage the tieflings. Two companies in reserve to charge against the schir when they pour off the hill. If the schir hold position, the two companies will have to attack up the hill. They are holding prisoners up there, so delay in attacking the hill is not an option. We don't want them to start killing our people."


F Aasimar (Angelkin) Sorceress (Celestial Bloodline) 7/Mythic Tier 1: Archmage HP: 44/54 F+6 R+6 W+9. Init +2. Perception +4 AC: 13(17) Touch:13 FF: 11(15)

" Perhaps keeping a magical or ranged barrage ready to intercept the demons as they charge." Alorah suggests.


Lord Sosiel.

Kelden:
Lord Sosiel looked at Kelden in agony.
"I couldn't bear it if Aaron fell to the Demon's Blood again... But if we can stop it here, help get him clean again...
I don't know! Why would he go BACK to it after what happened last time?"


After long minutes studying the maps and other intelligence reports from the scouts, Commander Irabeth raps the table for everyones attention.
"I'm sorry Carilain, but taking the Schir in their redoubts will take everything we have. We can't leave any blocking force behind us to stop enemy reinforcements from the South Bank.
"What I propose instead is to have Company B and C charge down the main road through the South Bank and overrun the enemy units there. Company A will act as reserve and blocker in case I'm wrong and the Schir DO come out of their holes to attack. But they will be much more vulnerable comeing out here to us, especially across that very defendable bridge.
"After we eliminate the South Bank forces we can turn our full attention on the Schir."

She turned to you.
"That said, will you join the attack, or hold back here at the command tent as a reserve?"


Male Keleshite Human HP (46/61)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat 21/12/18 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+3/+8 | Init +1
Skills:
Perception +7, Sense Motive +8
Class (Cleric) (7)

Sosial:
"Demon's blood? What is that? It certainly sounds vile. This battle is important, probably one of the most important that battles that have been fought. We dont have the answer as to why, but its important. We must speak with him. Please."


Elf Male. Hp 54/72 Magus(Bladebound) 6/Occultist 1 AC 19(shield 23) T 14 F 15| Init +5| Fort +8| Ref +5| Will +8| Per +14| pool 3/5

The elf shrugs. ”You’re the general. I will be joining the attack myself. I can’t speak for the others.”

451 to 500 of 580 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM-Camris' WRATH of the RIGHTEOUS Chapter 2: THE SWORD OF VALOR (table 3) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.