Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

The great captain Korius Merit, of the Paladine of Izmir, summons a group of warriors of the air to retrieve twelve evil artifacts; the legendary Abominations of the long-dead archmage Marianasu.


3,201 to 3,250 of 3,728 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>

Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

As the Professor finally explained the reason for his extreme security and defensive manner, Aylaeth's heart melts significantly in sympathy and her attitude towards him changes considerably. She had been travelling for most of her time as a full Professor, and so had not had much opportunity to develop close bonds with students of her own. But she had, in her years as a teacher's aide, had time to grow to know, and become close with, several students of other professors, so she did indeed have a fairly good idea of his pain.

Expressing her sorrow and regret for the losses during their information exchange, she finally comes out and asks directly "Professor Sundine, please, call me Aylaeth. May I ask why there have been so many attempts on your life of late? And considering how clearly, and how badly, someone wants you dead, surely Van-Heara and the Great Library can afford more protection for you than just an anti-magic spell, yes?"

Her face sincere, she nods as if getting back on track "As for Bethany Erodel, I am pursuing information on her as, mad or brilliant, she seems to have known or discovered or intuited more about the Abominations than any other being living, or at least that I have as yet encountered or heard of. For example, this is the first I am ever hearing of Mariansu having apprentices. Yet it makes a certain sense, does it not? My questions are many sir, but perhaps you could begin by telling me, specifically, what the two of you studied or researched together? And when and what was the last you heard of her? But really, anything at all you can share that might shed any light whatsoever on the finding, and dealing with, the Abominations would be most helpful."

Pausing in thought as something occurs to her she then says "Oh. And this theory of hers of the Abominations being a part of some larger plot, would that have anything to do with her paper she delivered at the University of Scales some two or so years ago? The one titled "Marianasu's Dark Legacy; Trump Card in the Alpha Confluence?". And oh yes! You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that paper, would you??"

Then finally, reaching into her haversack she pulls out the now fairly voluminous book of all her notes on the Abominations, including Pike De'Phaz's notes. Sliding it towards him she finishes "I am sure you know, or knew, Martian DePhazz? Among the notes I have collected are some very concise notes on the Abominations written by his son, Pike. Perhaps your perusal of these pages might also help those who wish the Abominations destroyed for good do so, yes?"

As she sits back one last thing occurs to her, her face taking on a great sadness "I have also recently heard reports of the possibility of Bethany having a brother, by name of Kyras Erodel. The reports are most dire and label Kyras an enemy of the highest order. I tell you this in great confidence Professor, but we have it on good authority that Kyras is in possession of one the Abominations, the The Magnifying Glass of Total Reversal, to be exact. And that with this horrid artifact, he was responsible for...for the death, and total, absolute and irreversible destruction of Na-Calanon..." after leaving a suitable silence for such weighty news she adds "...did...did Bethany ever mention a brother? And if so, from what you might have heard, does such a horrendous action seem possible? My commander is certain that Kyras, and his sister Bethany, are enemies. But something, perhaps the essence of her I have picked up in my research of her thus far, tells me that Bethany is an ally, not an enemy. Please, tell me what you think."

So basically, she's showing him all the same info she just did to Damian and Min- the corrected Full version of course. It's on her sheet under Quest Notes.

Knowledge Rolls for anything that the 'answers in the mists and the Old Land' might have brought up for her.:

Knowledge (Arcana)† 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (11) + 21 = 32
Knowledge (Geography)† 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Knowledge (Local)† 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Knowledge (Nature)† 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Knowledge (History)† 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 2 = 18
Knowledge (Nobility)† 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Knowledge (Planes)† 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28
Knowledge (Religion)† 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 2 = 12

Ada'an Aid:

Knowledge (History)† 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Knowledge (Religion)† 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Technically, Aylaeth shouldn't know that Kyras's last name is also Erodal. He was only identified as "Kyras" to the foreign witnesses of Na-Calanon's murder, and those who could supply his last name hightailed it out of there to chase after him. Tokine and the others never told the General his last name. Damian has discovered it by talking to the Warbanian mercenary, but that's elsewhere in the city. Last they spoke, Damian was under the impression that Kyras (no known last name) is a Warbanian acting as an agent of the Red Dragonflight.


Male Human Battle Herald 11
DM Downrightamazed wrote:

@Damian: The Warbanian sergeant shrugs. "Yeah, they're brother and sister. Or they were. They're a weird lot, went Freelance early on; both were too heavily into magic to join the corps, then the brother was put under a spell and disappeared and the sister went sort of mental. This was all…fifty? years ago. I think. No one's seen 'em since."

The big warrior seems to suddenly process something. "Waitaminnit. You're talking as if they're still around, and that's not likely. The girl would be pretty old at this point, and the boy, well, he's most likely dead. Are you saying they're around?"

Damian looks intently at the Warbanian mercenary, nothing but seriousness in his face. "As half-elves, their life span is far longer than ours." His face clouds for a brief moment as he considers the ten long years spent in the Everywhen, years that weigh on his soul but not on his memory. For an elf or a half-elf, that ten years would be a mere flash of time, but its loss pains Damian strongly. "Where did Kyras disappear, and under what circumstance? Even as 'Freelance,' would he take a contract with the Red Dragonflight, or would he have to be a true believer in their cause?" The Captain is not sure which one is worse: to be a true agent of the Dragonflight, killing and maiming in their quest for power, or simply doing their vile bidding for a paycheck?


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))
Sir Damian Lamorak wrote:
Technically, Aylaeth shouldn't know that Kyras's last name is also Erodal. He was only identified as "Kyras" to the foreign witnesses of Na-Calanon's murder, and those who could supply his last name hightailed it out of there to chase after him. Tokine and the others never told the General his last name. Damian has discovered it by talking to the Warbanian mercenary, but that's elsewhere in the city. Last they spoke, Damian was under the impression that Kyras (no known last name) is a Warbanian acting as an agent of the Red Dragonflight.

Ah, you're right! I just went back and double checked. My apologies all, I could have sworn Aylaeth already knew of the link between the two. But that was Me knowing, not her. If it's alright, I'll revise her last paragraph to Sundine to fix my mix up.

Also, just noticed something else I missed the first time around. Is General Vittoria in Stormfare?? Being her 'adopted' sister, I feel Aylaeth would have for sure asked about her when Damian brought her up, especially if she thought the General might actually be in Stormfare. But ah, well, I suppose she can ask later.

REVISION...

As she sits back one last thing occurs to her, her face taking on a great sadness "I have also recently heard the most terrible of reports. A report that heartbreakingly displays just how horrendously dangerous the Abominations are. The reports regard an enemy of the highest order, a Warbanian named Kyras. I tell you this in great confidence Professor, but we have it on good authority that Kyras is in possession of one the Abominations, the The Magnifying Glass of Total Reversal, to be exact. And that with this horrid artifact, he was responsible for...for the death, and total, absolute and irreversible destruction of Na-Calanon..." after leaving a suitable silence for such weighty news and to recover her own composure again, she adds "...it is a little odd, now I think of it, to hear of not just one, but two Warbanians somehow connected to the Abominations, is it not? But no matter, the important thing is finding all the Abominations and ensure that they can never be used for evil purpose again."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

::Servais...do you know what this place is? How did we end up here?::


@Mai: To your horror, you realize you are not carrying Servais. The figure in white says nothing further, but several of the giant black birds around you kaw and tokk mockingly.

From behind you is a rustle of feathers, and you turn to see a tall being that looks like a human, but with enormous obsidian wings. He is crushingly, darkly handsome, with raven hair and black eyes, shirtless and muscular, wearing only dark cloth trousers. He lands a few feet away from you and gazes levelly into your eyes. He is shorter than you by a few inches, but seems somehow to be huge. There is a presence about him...

He addresses the figure in white with a raspy voice like stones being ground together: "Not this one, Veillamaaria." The tall, mysterious Sunderer bows respectfully and begins to withdraw back down the street from whence it came. The newcomer now turns his attention to you.

"Silastrus. I am Fabra del Mellori del Corranus, patron of House del Corranus and of the Center City, City of Shadow, City of Secrets, City of Reputation. I do not know why you are here in astral form, but it is an opportunity I do not intend to waste. You must come here, physically, to Mamban. There is much we can offer each other." He gestures with his right arm and all the black birds take cacophonous flight, rising into the sky to disappear into the swirling, shuddering shadows above. "Will you do this?"

Even as he speaks, you feel an immense tugging sensation, as if a great hand were beginning to pull you up and away into the sky.


@Damian: The soldier looks thoughtful. "That's a good question. I never new that Kyras guy personally, but I heard he was pretty brash about things. Join with the Red Dragonflight? I suppose it's possible, but for that to happen he would have had to know about them long before they started appearing in the land. I don't know if he was ever in Iridian, but anything can happen..." He trails off, then shakes his head. "Yeah. Sorry. I guess I don't know. I didn't know him well enough, and I don't know anyone else who did. What you say seems like it could happen, though I'd like to think it wouldn't, I don't have any good reason to tell you 'no'."" He shrugs sadly.


@Belsarious and @Livain: The two of you are led to a four-person table since Bel mentioned you may have a third. You're handed menus and given time to pick your meal.

A couple groups of students are staring wonderingly at you both. They're not being rude, just curious; whenever you look back at them, they look quickly away, trying to pretend they weren't just ogling you both.


@Aylaeth: The professor gives a tight smile. "I wish I knew why I was suddenly a favored target for lousy assassins. I can think of a number of reasons, but no one seems any more likely to me than any other. As for protection, the library -- and the University in general -- is not a moneymaking venture. The budget for Internal Affairs and security is very, very tiny. So until a patron decides my life is worth the frankly extravagant cost of a bodyguard or heavier magicks, I'm on my own. I don't mind too much; keeps me sharp. I know I've a seat at Cayden's golden table, so I do not fear death."

He goes over to a tiny table and lights a small fire in a camp cylinder. On top of it he places a pot of water. As he speaks, he prepares tea.

"To be honest, Bethany spent her time here mostly studying the history of botany; specifically Arcanobotany -- the use of plants in magic down into the distant past. She kept looking into the Abominations, I think, but it was peripheral. It wasn't part of the work I was advising her on. I think she felt convinced that some of the effects of the Abominations could be neutralized or duplicated through herb-magicks, but I don't know if she got anywhere with that line of query. We spent our time looking for very special and rare plants, and she became obsessed with a certain kind of tea plant called the Snow Bud, that only grows in the mountains on the border of Enhathlad and The Empire of Mists. That led to her eventual transfer request."

"She didn't speak to me about the Alpha Confluence. I think she knew that since I don't believe it's going to happen, there wasn't much point in bringing it up. I don't have a copy of that paper, sorry. She seemed kind of embarrassed by it, to be quite honest."

"I did know Martin, yes. I wish we knew why he did what he did. What a horrid, horrid thing. I've already seen the entries on the Abominations in the Omnibus itself, though I didn't copy anything down; that's generally frowned upon, Pike must have done it on the sly."

The professor is clearly stricken at the news of Na-Calanons death; he turns ash white and grips his tea spoon so tightly he bends it a little bit. Shaking his head he mutters "That is a tragedy. I did not know the Great One very well, but he was always most kind and patient and gracious. To lose so much wisdom and power..." he leaves his sentence unfinished.

Aylaeth would know that "the old land" just means -- literally -- The Old Land, on the map. It's a region of the Explored Land about which very very little is known except that it is perilous to attempt to journey across it or explore it. "The Mists" is just a reference to the Empire of Mists, where Bethany went. No mysteries or hidden meanings to either reference.


@Min: Thenya and her group can fabricate what you need, and actually have much of it already in inventory -- being a draconic protectorate they have a fair number of dragons and dragonriders that come here for various supplies. After taking measurements and negotiating price, she informs you that you can pick up your new goods first thing tomorrow morning.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"What exactly can you offer me Fabra?" Maiathreen asks Fabra. Astral form...so that explains it..but why and how?


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

@Livian
"It seems we ave drawn many eyes upon us. I admit it disconcerts me more tha a little."


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

DRA, what, if any, rolls are needed to see if 'Snow Bud' dings anything for Aylaeth or Ada'an?


K(Nature).


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

K (nature) on Snow Bud: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 2 = 29 (wooooow. Nice!)
Ada'an aid: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10


About the Snow Bud:
You recall reading about the Snow Bud, that it's a fine and rare and much-sought-after tea; the plant only blooms once every 71 years, and then for a very short time. Getting to them is extraordinarily difficult as they grow only in the highest peaks of the tallest mountains in one of the most dangerous places in the Land; the border between Enhathlad and the Empire of Mists. The taste, however, is said to be so sublime as to be completely worth whatever price one pays, whether it be the dangerous climb or the ridiculous cost to buy it from a merchant.

It is said that in Lanzhu there are magics one can perform that only work with the Snow Bud, but if this is true it is not documented anywhere west of the Old Land, as no one has been able to re-create these effects, or find evidence or documentation from anyone who has. Therefore, the general consensus is that this claim is a myth, albeit one that is steeped in the actual taste of one of the greatest teas in existence.


@Mai: del Corranus looks at you intensely as you are drawn up into the sky, surrounded by the birds. "Come to Mamban!" he implores you, and then all goes black.

You come to on the floor of the same back room you and Camilla entered who-knows-how-long-ago, now. You are a few feet from center, on your back. Servais is on a silk pillow in the middle. Camilla is standing up against the far wall, looking even paler than before, and breathing shallowly. Her eyes are wide and she is staring at Servais.

After a moment, she seems to notice you're up. "Thank you, magus. If you will come with me, I will tell you how to activate the gems, and tell you where to find the Abomination that made you." Without waiting for your response, she turns and glides back into the other room.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Min: Thenya and her group can fabricate what you need, and actually have much of it already in inventory -- being a draconic protectorate they have a fair number of dragons and dragonriders that come here for various supplies. After taking measurements and negotiating price, she informs you that you can pick up your new goods first thing tomorrow morning.

Min thanks Thenya, extremely pleased at the price they agreed on, before heading back to the Quad on Lin's back. It was the first time they had flown together since her change and he couldn't help but be in awe as to how large she actually was now. It was staggering how much she grew, physically and mentally each time, this time however her will was much much stronger. To the point it was hard for him to focus on anything more then holding onto her tightly as they flew over Stormfare.

Once they had landed back in the Quad, Min made sure to keep the flight path scroll tube somewhere easily accessible for Damian. His notes were included with it and he turned to Sophitia. "Lets go and see if we can gather some fighters for Tautha."

Lin looked at the pair, startled by Min's words momentarily. "Are you sure this is wise? We barely have time to outfit ourselves, much less gather forces. And why are we looking to gather soldiers?"

Min looked to his companion with a sigh. "With the current events in the world, doing nothing isn't wise, we need to start building momentum or else our enemies will continue picking us off and pushing us back." Lin raised a great eyebrow questioningly at Min's words, not quite understanding what he was implying. While he continued to look at his companion, his expression softening some as a tinge of sadness broke through his frustrated frown

The Bond:
{Na-Calnon is dead Lin, destroyed by an Abomination. Tautha is being invaded by the Black Dragonflight as well and more then likely Haelith is threatened... We don't have a choice but to act now or welcome the coming Sword for our carelessness.}

As he communicated across the bond Lin looked more and more shocked as the news he relayed to her struck her like a hammer. She just nodded as he bid her farewell and moved on foot through Stormfare to where the Warbanians were stationed. He felt confident that if anyone knew where he needed to go to ask for assistance, it would be the fighters of Warbane.

Pro-Soldier: Recognize rank/insignia's for Warbanian officers to avoid insulting them. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Diplomacy - Request assistance 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28

He approached the nearest officer he could identify and waited patiently to address them if they were busy. "Hail and Honor be with you always. I am looking to gather some soldiers for a possible campaign and wondered if you could direct me to who could render such assistance."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"What just happened?" He asks Camilla whilst picking up the blackblade. ::So how'd the conversation go?:: He says mentally to Servais as he slides the blade back into its sheath.


@Mai: Camilla says something, but it's muffled. Servais' voice, meanwhile, nearly booms in your mind. ::WHAT DID YOU SEE?!::


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Mai: Camilla says something, but it's muffled. Servais' voice, meanwhile, nearly booms in your mind. ::WHAT DID YOU SEE?!::

::I saw the fountain in Mamban. As well as Veillamaaria and Fabra del Mellori del Corranus::


@Mai: ::YOU LIE!:: You feel Servais' mind battering at your own.

Give me a roll vs. Servais' Ego, please.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

[Ooc]Will:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

::WHY WOULD I LIE TO YOU!! YOU DECEITFUL BLADE! Maiathreen mentally exclaims as he pushes back on Servais.


@Mai: There is a sort of disgusted grunt and Servais' presence withdraws from your mind. You know he's still there, but is currently incommunicado, not wanting to concede victory in this battle of wills, but having no choice for the moment when faced with your superior acumen and willpower.

Camilla explains to you how to shatter the bloodstones; what facet to strike and how hard. She says she has no idea who is in each stone, but she can feel the soul of a powerful warrior in each.

The lady de Vestrille then takes out a map, and points to a specific spot in the Great Trackless Woods, far south of Allemagh and east of the Frost Kingdom. "There." She says. "There is an old tower in the middle of an ancient castle, from days when the Tain ruled Rassnynyankh. If you enter at the top of that tower, you can descend into the ReMaking Pits, where Veriala's mages and Alchemists practice their arts of creation and mutilation. In there you may take your revenge, and in there you may find the Abomination."

The spot she points to is basically by the top-left corner of the letter "T" in "The Great Trackless Woods" on the map.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"So what exactly happens when you break the stones? Are they ghosts? Flesh and blood? Just their thoughts? What?" Maiathreen asks still off about Servais' outburst.


@Mai: Camilla gives you a mischievous smile and shrugs expansively. "Mother didn't say. I guess you'll find out, won't you? If you survive, I'd greatly appreciate if you could find me after the fact and let me know. I'm quite curious."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"Thank you for this and the information ." Maiathreen says with a quick bow. "I'll be sure to let you know how it works. And with that heads to Charna by taking to the air and bypassing the streets.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Dot


@Maiathreen: As you fly swiftly over the lower restaurant district, you notice that many of the holes from last night's attack have already been filled. You also note that the strange, abandoned black ship on which you and Servais faced down (and eventually retreated from) the fallen deva Seneferu is now flying a flag you don't recognize and appears to have a crew; you spy activity on the deck. The damn thing is almost more suspicious and terrifying in daylight, though, with its black wood and jet-colored sails. In place of a maiden or mermaid at the prow, they have a tengu for a figurehead.

Charna isn't too difficult to find, and you walk in and quickly spot Livain and Belsarious sitting awkwardly together at a table, not talking and not looking at the menus in front of them. A few other diners were looking at them, but now their gazes turn to you before once again minding their own business.

The hostess approaches. "Ah. You must be the third, then, that those two were expecting, yes?" she indicates your wife and fellow skyknight.


@Min: The warbanian duty sergeant puts down his scrimshaw that he was working on when you entered and looks at you with stunned surprise. "I...well, you're not likely to be able to do much recruiting here in the barracks, Mr. Dragonrider, brave as y' are, unless you've a mountain of gold hidden away somewhere. All our contracts're bought for years out. You want to be checking out the Adventurer's Guild in town, 'bout the only place Freelancers check these days. In a quieter time you coulda prob'ly stood in the Quad and shouted, but now...now ever'one's workin'...if you catch my drift." He gives you a significant look, and nods toward his massive greatsword, freshly cleaned and sharpened, but still bearing countless nicks and scuffs from extensive daily use. "I wouldn't even recommend heading up to my home city; Van-Seletharius will tell you; we've no more warriors to spare. Times are bleak for those looking to hire swords, friend, but they're ripe for battle during this strange war, and that means no Warbanian goes without gold or glory, who wants either."


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"Yes..also I've heard of a gnoll who lives above the bar. I unfortunately don't know his name...[b] He pulls a gold coin from his coin purse. [B]But I'd be appreciative of any information, or if you could see if he'd talk with us. I acquired an item I'd like tovask him about." Maiathreen says handing her a gold coin and heading to Tue table.

"So..I've learned some new things I think everyone would be interested in, but I think it needs to wait till were all together again." Maiathreen says after embracing his wife.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Belsarious rises from sitting as Mai approaches he sighs a deep sigh and asks....

"Should we order something?"


@Mai: I need a Diplomacy check, or Intimidate if that's how you want to fly. Also, Knowledge(Local) if you have it.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

No local. Do I get a bonus to Diplomacy for the coin?
Diplomacy:1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9....a big bonus


You actually get a negative. That's an insultingly tiny bribe. K(Local) would have told you that and I would have let you catch yourself. Now, unfortunately, you're in a very poor bargaining position. Perhaps Belsarious or Livain could assist, if they feel like it? Right now someone needs one hell of a diplomacy roll if you want to learn anything.

The staff brings you drinks, and food (if you wish it) but no mention is made of speaking with any other gnolls, and indeed no acknowledgement is even made that Mai asked, although when your food arrives -- along with the bill, you note -- his gold coin is returned to him under his plate. The message is clear; 'just how cheap do you think we are? eat and get the hell out, furless ones.'


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Or Aid Another, Mai?

DM Downrightamazed wrote:

@Aylaeth: The professor gives a tight smile. "I wish I knew why I was suddenly a favored target for lousy assassins. I can think of a number of reasons, but no one seems any more likely to me than any other. As for protection, the library -- and the University in general -- is not a moneymaking venture. The budget for Internal Affairs and security is very, very tiny. So until a patron decides my life is worth the frankly extravagant cost of a bodyguard or heavier magicks, I'm on my own. I don't mind too much; keeps me sharp. I know I've a seat at Cayden's golden table, so I do not fear death."

He goes over to a tiny table and lights a small fire in a camp cylinder. On top of it he places a pot of water. As he speaks, he prepares tea.

"To be honest, Bethany spent her time here mostly studying the history of botany; specifically Arcanobotany -- the use of plants in magic down into the distant past. She kept looking into the Abominations, I think, but it was peripheral. It wasn't part of the work I was advising her on. I think she felt convinced that some of the effects of the Abominations could be neutralized or duplicated through herb-magicks, but I don't know if she got anywhere with that line of query. We spent our time looking for very special and rare plants, and she became obsessed with a certain kind of tea plant called the Snow Bud, that only grows in the mountains on the border of Enhathlad and The Empire of Mists. That led to her eventual transfer request."

"She didn't speak to me about the Alpha Confluence. I think she knew that since I don't believe it's going to happen, there wasn't much point in bringing it up. I don't have a copy of that paper, sorry. She seemed kind of embarrassed by it, to be quite honest."

"I did know Martin, yes. I wish we knew why he did what he did. What a horrid, horrid thing. I've already seen the entries on the Abominations in the Omnibus itself, though I didn't copy anything down; that's generally frowned upon, Pike must have done it on the sly."

The professor is clearly stricken at the news of Na-Calanons death; he turns ash white and grips his tea spoon so tightly he bends it a little bit. Shaking his head he mutters "That is a tragedy. I did not know the Great One very well, but he was always most kind and patient and gracious. To lose so much wisdom and power..." he leaves his sentence unfinished.

As the Professor finishes making the tea, Aylaeth accepts it and thanks him graciously. Holding it to warm her hands, she seems to drift off for a few seconds in memory, as apparently something Professor Sundine had just said sparks train of thought in her. After a few moments, she blinks, returning to the present. Blowing on the cup to cool it some, she takes a sip, murmuring her pleasure at it's taste. "Hmmmm, tea, interesting the degree to which some seek such a beverage, is it not? And Arcanobotany, very interesting indeed. It happens that I once wrote a paper on the Snow Bud, long ago. Lesotho is much closer to the Empire of Mists, as you know, and, despite the Snow Bud's great rarity, several myths and legends of that most elusive plant have reached us there. It only blooms once every 71 years, and then for a very short time, according to reports. Getting to them is said to be extraordinarily difficult but the taste, apparently, is said to be so sublime as to be completely worth whatever price one pays, whether in effort or gold."

Pausing to take another sip, she continues "What interests me even more about the Snow Bud though is that it is said that in Lanzhu there are magics one can perform that only work with the Snow Bud, but no one west of the Old Land has been able to re-create these effects, or find evidence or documentation from anyone who has. Therefore most feel these properties of the plant to be purely mythical. Yet, with my focus on history and the arcane, I can tell you that many things thought to be mythical carry far more truth than most people believe or have any awareness of."

Finishing her tea, the magus stands, placing her delicate cup back on the tray. With a wistful smile she speaks once more "Unless you can think of anything else specifically that might help our quest to find, and see destroyed, the Abominations, Sir, I believe my line of inquiry here has produced as much as it's going to. It was a great pleasure to meet you Professor Sundine. I know many of my colleagues back home at the University of Scales would envious of my having done so. Thank you very much for your time and hospitality."

Unless stopped by the Professor, she makes her way to the door, opening it, and then pausing just before leaving. Turning back she says "And Professor, please do be careful, for we have lost far too many good people already." and, again, unless stopped, she leaves.

After Professor Sundine:

After leaving the Professor's, Aylaeth would like to do two things.

One, she wishes to trade in her Holy Crossbow and magic quarterstaff for a Holy Quarterstaff and a magic crossbow. If she can do this as a straight trade in the Library, then great. If she must do so in the market, no problem, just let me know how much it will cost.

Second, she will head to the Warbanian Barracks and inquire as to the cost of hiring a bodyguard for the Professor. She will say something along these lines "I realize you mercenaries are busy with the War. But at the same time, you do have your off time, yes? I would like to inquire about the possibility of hiring perhaps a rotating schedule of bodyguards to protect one Professor Sundine of the University. He has had several attempts on his life thus far and the Library cannot afford any more protection for him than has already been put into place. My thought is that perhaps a few of your willing Warbanians could rotate guard duty for him during their off hours. If this sounds possible to you, please let me know. If the Professor should ask who is funding this protection, you may simply tell him 'A Patron who feels your life is well worth the cost.' and nothing more than that."

If that is not possible, or she gets a similar answer as Min did, then she will head to the Adventurer's guild and have a similar conversation. Although I imagine there she might be able to simply hire one person to do the job.

Whether she has to go to the market to exchange her weapons or not, she will do so anyway, to pick up a few things (I'll indicate them later) and as well, she'll probably end up in the same place as Min did to look into upgrading armor for Tora'an.

I think that's all for now! ; )


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min feeling a bit rude to the duty Sergeant nods at the Warbanians suggestion and introduces himself prior to leaving for the Adventurers Guild. "You have my thanks Sergeant, I had come for information is all and forgive me for not introducing myself earlier. I am Min Bein'Meleth Ramaloce dragonrider in the employ of Izmir and this is Paladine Sophitia Kirion." If the Sergeant has nothing more to say Min moves on to the guild in the hopes of finding some aid or at least learning how they were going to go about doing this...

Approaching the guild he attempts to locate a guild member; if he fails at that: he decides to test the waters with whatever Freelancers are available. He focused his energies on finding those who knew the areas around Tautha, woodland rangers to be specific, anyone who appeared or was accompanied by a flying companion like himself and especially those of a 'mixed' race. These two types were going to be essential in the beginning of their attempt to aid Tautha. He hoped though he had the means of convincing these people to join their cause.

Perception 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

Diplomacy - Request the specifics on recruitment and cost of contracting. 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

Diplomacy - speak to available freelancers about Tautha's plight and attempt to convince them to help in the cause to take on the dragonflights. 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34

Please let me know if that was too much for those checks and I will roll more of them. Thanks DRA! :)

The entire time he doesn't ask for Sophitia's aid, mainly because if she is looked down upon around these parts then even having her here could be detrimental to their attempt but having her here as a show of support may impact their dealings in a good way. A double edge sword for Min to deal with but a good lesson for Sophitia to learn especially because one day she would be exactly like her father. She just needed a good teacher for now...


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"Perchance a pastry wit apple?"


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

bump ;)


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13
DM Downrightamazed wrote:

You actually get a negative. That's an insultingly tiny bribe. K(Local) would have told you that and I would have let you catch yourself. Now, unfortunately, you're in a very poor bargaining position. Perhaps Belsarious or Livain could assist, if they feel like it? Right now someone needs one hell of a diplomacy roll if you want to learn anything.

The staff brings you drinks, and food (if you wish it) but no mention is made of speaking with any other gnolls, and indeed no acknowledgement is even made that Mai asked, although when your food arrives -- along with the bill, you note -- his gold coin is returned to him under his plate. The message is clear; 'just how cheap do you think we are? eat and get the hell out, furless ones.'

Maiathreen dances the coin across his knuckles as he tries to work his way through this new problem. He refused to just go back without at least meeting the gnoll that gave Dantor the divination rod. "My love...your better with talking to people than I am. I have no patience for diplomacy. I'm afraid I may have made things worse...do you think you could convince them to help us talk to the gnoll who gave Dantor the magic item?"


@Aylaeth: The professor gives a tight nod. "Thank you, Lesothan, and you do the same. I fear that if word gets out you lot are seeking the abominations, that you may inherit more shadows than you'd care to deal with. Big ones, with teeth. Good luck."

You are out the door when Professor Sundine seems to remember something. "Lesothan, wait; here." He is writing something on piece of parchment. He rolls it up and ties it, then hands it over. "This is a quick note of introduction to the Dean at the University of Lanzhu. I'm assuming you're going to end up there, and if you do, well...let's just say the Empire is a place that prides itself tremendously on manners and protocol. My word won't get you any kind of free access to the stacks or anything like that, but it should at least convince them to let you talk to people without feeling the need to shadow your every move. I'm sorry I can't do more."


@Min: Sophitia attracts a good deal of attention in the form of appraising looks and sidelong glances, but everyone here has enough good sense not to trifle with a fellow warrior on the grounds of the Guild Hall. That would be a huge offense that would lead to immediate banishment or worse. Seeing you walking around eyeing the postings and looking at the "jobs wanted" and "jobs available" boards, a young, pretty half-elf approaches. She touches you gently on the bicep, and it's electric. She looks from you to Sophitia, acknowledging you both with a nod.

"Merry meet, milord, milady; welcome to the guild. I'm Crystianne, may I help?"

You ask her about the specifics on recruitment and costs of contracting, and she explains slowly and patiently, giving you a better idea of the types of contracts available, base rates, freelance clauses, and other vagaries and specifics of local and Land law. When she finishes, and you make clear your intent to begin gathering troops to protect Tuatha, and explain the plight, it's clear that she is a believer. She gazes up at you as you talk, nodding emphatically at certain points, looking more and more determined by the minute. When you're finished, she pauses before speaking.

"Milord, that...that is a most worthy cause. If you and your, um...companion? Partner?" It's clear she's fishing for how to refer to Sophitia...

I need Min to fill in the blank for Crystianne, here, before I can continue...


In Charna: The restaurant has a lovely selection of pastries available, and Belsarious orders one. There's plenty of staff around for Livain to approach to try asking about the old fellow who supposedly lives upstairs.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Lost my dot...


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min smiled warmly to Crystianne as he greeted her in turn, trying to not blush at the feeling of her touch. "Merry meet indeed, Lady Crystianne, please call me Min and this is Sophitia, Paladine of Izmir." After speaking with Chyrstianne at length he isn't surprised at her awkward fishing in the end, he had done a horrible job at introductions at the beginning. He continued to smile at her as he answered simply to end the awkward moment before it dragged out further. "Companion. Please continue you are most informative and I appreciate the help immensely."


@Min: The half-elf beams at you. "Ah. Companion! I'd hoped -- er, that is, how excellent, that the two of you are on this quest together. Please come." She takes your hand and guides you to the back, Sophitia in tow.

Once there, she has the two of you sit, interposing herself between you so that you are on her right and Sophitia is on her left. She brings out a roster of known warriors in the town who are currently looking for work, then arcanists, then brigands and roustabouts and all manner of freelancer. When Crystianne speaks, she looks only at you. "The rates differ from warrior to warrior, and across specialties, but group rates for numbers as large as a company can be negotiated. Do you have a place to house them, milord? A barracks? Do you have officers? Perhaps your...companion...is going to put in charge and sent away while you stay here to recruit?"

DC12 K(Religion) -- you or Sophitia:
Crystianne is wearing a broad silver armband on her left bicep that bears the symbol of Calistria.

Sophitia, who looks strangely irritated all of a sudden, speaks up; "I! Will be going nowhere, my 'lady'! My place is at Lord Min's side, riding alongside him and his noble companion, the silver dragon Linde--"

The paladin doesn't get to finish as the half-elf -- who didn't even deign to look at Sophitia during her little speech -- interrupts her to say breathily but with what seems like honest interest "Ooooh! A dragonrider! Of course! Truly you must be a great leader of men, astride such a powerful, glorious creature." She gives you a sly, veiled look that lingers on your broad shoulders, before turning her gaze back to the papers in front of you.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

K-Religion - Sophitia 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Sophitia notes the armband and glares in annoyance at Crystianne as she remains silent as Min continues to Negotiate with this vixen.

Min however remained oblivious to what Sophitia had noticed, more concerned with figuring out the housing and stationing of a large group of soldiers. At the comment of being a Great Leader of men he tries not to grimace, the Children of Heartland were not all men when he led them and being a lieutenant in the Skyknights didn't make him a general either. He was focused on a smaller fighting force, eventually it would grow but for now he was starting small. "Sophitia is correct, her and Lin are some of my closest companions and I won't be sending them off to fight without me accompanying them. You honor me with your praise but I'm not looking to raise a massive army. I'm looking to create a small fighting force of men and woman who know how to use the terrain and stay mobile. Sadly though I don't have anywhere to house them, not yet anyway, mainly because those I'm looking to hire won't be focused on staying in one spot. I'm also looking for riders like myself for the endeavor..." He continued to look over the lists in the hopes of finding the people he needed.

Profession - Soldier - Peruse the list for Rangers and dragonriders 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

In Charna:

@Livian
"Perchance some recon is in order surely some whispers o tha unknown might flit round such a place."


@Min: Crystianne looks confused. "So...you need to acquire a squad of highly mobile warriors...but who's leading them? Or do you have a list of specific objectives in mind? Or do you need also to hire command-and-control personnel, like an officer or two, or at least a captain? Or do you have someone else in mind to lead them?"

She sees you looking at the list and confirms what your own two eyes are already telling you; "I'm sorry, there are no dragonriders on this list. Haven't been for some months now because of the wars. We have a few mercenaries with flying mounts but they are...costly."


Female Sylph Magus (Staff Magus & Cabalist) / 9| HP 72/72 AC 23*or more*, T 14, Flat 18- F+9 R+8 W+9 Init +4; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Per +9(+11))

Turning back at the Professor's words, Aylaeth waits as requested and receives the small rolled parchment, tucking it safely away "Thank you again Professor, I am sure it will prove most helpful. Abadar willing, we shall met again, in this life or the next."

After leaving the Professor's, Aylaeth briefly considers what tasks remain for her to complete.

First, she wishes to trade in her Holy Crossbow and magic quarterstaff for a Holy Quarterstaff and a magic crossbow. Surmising it might be possible that she could do this as a straight trade in the Library, She makes her way there and inquires with the appropriate parties. If the trade is successful, she will move on to her next task, if not, she will head to the market later on.

Second, she will head to the Warbanian Barracks and inquire as to the cost of hiring a bodyguard for the Professor. Once directed to the soldier in charge she says "Greetings soldier, may your blade find you gold or glory, or both. I am Aylaeth Brely'an, Skyknight of Izmir and Scholar of Lestotho. I realize your mercenaries are busy with the War. Yet at the same time, you do have your off time, yes? I would like to inquire about the possibility of hiring perhaps a rotating schedule of bodyguards to protect one Professor Sundine of the University. He has had several attempts on his life thus far and the Library cannot afford any more protection for him than has already been put into place. My thought is that perhaps a few of your willing Warbanians could rotate guard duty for him during their off hours. If this sounds possible to you, please let me know. If the Professor should ask who is funding this protection, you may simply tell him 'A Patron who feels your life is well worth the cost.' and nothing more than that."

If she is told that is not possible, (or if she gets a similar answer as Min did) then she will collect Tora'an and fly to the Adventurer's guild and have a similar conversation with whomever appropriate there.

3,201 to 3,250 of 3,728 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.