Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) (Inactive)

Game Master stormraven

High-Power Pathfinder Homespun Game


6,051 to 6,100 of 7,012 << first < prev | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | next > last >>

HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Well, if Jayse will give me my ring back, I will. Unless he feels up for it...


I'm assuming Jayse isn't keeping our gear. :)


DM

Jofram, after retrieving his equipment, wanders cautiously down to the end of the Corridor of Crypts, taking a close look at the statues. All of their various bits of equipment are sculpted, not real. Some figures wear pieces of ornate armor over their robes. Others don't. Each figure is unique and, having seen them all, Jofram has the distinct impression they were sculpted based on real people.

More importantly, as Jofram walks the length of the corridor... nothing happens.


Not sure if we have checked the Star chamber for any secret doors or other hidden passages yet...if not then Ushari will start searching the walls for any such passages. Perception 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33. If so...

Ushari slowly approaches the Statue corridor, fascinated by the realistic carvings. She moves next to Jofram, asking softly "What do you think, Jofram? Maybe there is a hidden passage down this way. Let me help you search this."


DM

I'm going to assume everyone searches just to speed things along.

Nowhere in the Star Chamber or Corridor of Crypts does the team find hidden caches, secret doors, or any items of interest. Aside from the northern corridor, the only other openings appear to be the statuary crypts. Around each one, you spy faint creases. In short, each one of the 24 statues and the bit of wall they are in, is the 'lid' to a standing sarcophagus.


Ushari sniffs, "I really don't feel like becoming a tomb raider now." She points to the northern corridor, "We should check that out."


DM

TEAM VOTE: What do you guys want to do?
Ushari is 1 vote for the northern corridor.


tomb raider +1


DM

It gets interesting... :)
Corridora the Explora: 1
Tomb Raider: 1


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Since I'm pretty sure the tombs only hold CERTAIN DEATH, I vot we explore the corridor, where we are sure to find CERTAIN DEATH.


DM

A well-reasoned argument...
Corridora the Explora: 2
Tomb Raider: 1


STONE-FACED KILLA

For the sake of not creating a tie that the DM has to break... let's go with the corridor.

Jayse can't help but eyeball the statues curiously, but shakes his head. "Let's check out the northern corridor first. We may end up coming back this way, but I'd rather not disturb those guys until we've exhausted other options." He takes Orin's offered stick with a thankful nod, playfully prodding Strae with the end of it. "Stick works," he says as he moves towards their chosen path.


DM

The monk and sorcerer lead off, cautiously following the corridor which quickly switches from East to Northeast. It runs about 30' before it dead-ends. Or rather, it dead-ends in a horizontal sense. Looking up, the scouts note the passageway above is lit with yet another ornate lamp. It look like an upward leap of some 6' on one side or 10' on the other will give them access to a strange, sinuously curved corridor. The ceiling of which (about 30' above them) is black and scaled - like a serpent's skin.

MAP: Corridor

Sorry for the odd rendering, this is the easiest way to do it in 2D. In front of Jayse and Strae, you'll see a red line. That marks where the corridor 'goes vertical'. So everything above that line is directly above their current position. Thus the lamp is about 28' above and to one side of Jayse's head. Also, I apologize for the rough-hewn look to the walls above them - limitations of the tool. Imagine the wall are curved and form a smooth, regular arc.


What do you guys prefer, rope and grappling hook, or ladder? I have a ladder that can get you close enough to inspect the ceiling, if you want.


DM

I'll wait until this evening to see if anyone offers another option - otherwise I'll act according to Orin's suggestion.


The only other options I see for checking this out is having Jayse use his slippers to climb up there, or having Skitter climb up there (since he has a climb speed). I was waiting for Jayse to respond first.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

I could send Vaelos, but he lacks a bit in the communication department.


DM

Moving on...

Rather than use Orin's ladder, Jayse leaps towards the higher wall, relying on his magical slippers to grip the surface. He is barely half-way through his jump when he is pulled violently sideways. The monk slaps into the side wall. Fortunately, his training allows him to absorb the blow without harm. For an odd moment, he looks like a fly stuck to a honeyed strip. Tentatively, the monk stands 'up' fully. From the perspective of his compatriots, Jayse is standing on a vertical wall yet none of his clothing or equipment are hanging 'down'. He stands on a wall in an up-and-down undulating corridor.

From Jayse's perspective, he is standing on a solid floor in a left-and-right undulating corridor and his friends are suddenly standing on a wall in a long diagonal chute they should be falling down.

The red line is the crux of a 90 degree angled turn. The 'gravity' of the floor changes at that point so both groups feel they are standing on the 'floor'. Just consider all squares as floor but realise that 'down' is entirely relative. If you want to proceed onward - you can go left (towards the lower numbers) or right (towards the higher ones).

MAP: Update


STONE-FACED KILLA

"That's a clever trick," Jayse mutters as he tests a few steps to his right and left. He looks back at Straehan, "Hey, see if you can just walk up here to me. Maybe the shift from "sideways" to "down" happens closer to you."

While he waits, he gives the room a long look. (Perception 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26.) "I guess we'll want to watch for other rooms where the gravity shifts… could become difficult in a fight."


Jayse sees that he is in something that looks more like a wide undulating corridor than an actual room. The corridor is mostly round, save the floor, with a distinct flattening and indention along the ceiling - similar to a spine. It's very much like walking down the gullet of a snake except that the nubbly skin is on the inside. Judging from the direction of the scales, heading left will take you towards the 'head' and the going right will lead towards the 'tail'.

Following Jayse's suggestion, Straehan walks cautiously towards the wall and then, slowly up it. Over the first few feet, there seems to be a war between the relative gravities in the space away from the ground. The gnome's hair flows along a weird diagonal line. But the further he walks up the wall, the more the 'wall gravity' takes hold and becomes 'down' for him.

"OK, that was a strange feeling. The pull at floor level is definitely stronger than above it. I never felt like my feet would slip... but I definitely had to use some muscle to keep from falling backwards there on the first couple of steps. I'd suggest moving quickly across the border to keep from toppling over. It might be worse for you tall types." Straehan joins Jayse in the snake corridor.


STONE-FACED KILLA

"So," Jayse says with a smirk, "heads or tails?"

He looks left and right, not seeing any details that help him make the decision. "I've heard the buisness end of a snake is its head, so whos' for heading towards its tail and hoping the shell is there?"


Ushari eyes the spot where she sees the gravity switch from the floor and takes a running jump, gracefully leaping onto the wall. Acro Take 10, total 25.

As she rolls to her feet, she glances down each side of the corridor but cannot determine anything further. She shrugs in response to Jayse, "Seems like a plan to me."


DM

All the compatriots cross the gravity border with only a moderate level of disorientation. Seeing no better option, you head towards what you hope is the tail end of the snake...

The passageway narrows as it winds 'deeper' into the Shaudran structure. The 'tail' terminates in a small circular room capped by a dome. The ornate floating lamp cast a cold white light which illuminates a mosaic in the center of the floor - a small white star. From what you can see from the entrance, there may be an exit to the room off to your right.

OK, you haven't entered the room. How do you want to approach it? I'll assume whatever protocol you use here will apply to all other rooms going forward for the sake of convenience.

MAP: Update


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

You know I have to roll this one! Acro: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30

Jofram whistles to Vaelos, then takes a running leap towards the others, flipping in midair and landing deftly on the tiles above.

I'm willing to take the lead.


DM

Jofram dives into the room and... the wrath of the heavens does not descend upon his head. He stands on the white star mosaic, very much unhurt. The rest of the team follows him in. From the center of the room, they see a corridor heading Southeast. It ends almost as quickly as it leaves the room - shooting up at an odd angle - another strange and widening chute.

After quickly testing the wall, you determine it is another variable gravity area. A quick walk up the wall - which your realise is actually upside-down from Miir's normal orientation - leads to a large circular room shrouded in darkness. There is no lamp here but the center of the floor bears a mosaic of a very large red star.

Note the switched gravity red line. Your move, guys. Enter the room? Check it out in some way? Something else?

MAP: Update


Ushari softly whispers to Straehan. "Can you detect any magical auras in this room?"


Can we see anything with darkvision? Or it's a dark room with nothing in it?


I believe I can cast light on the red star without moving into the room. If so, I'll do that.


Doh! Had a problem with the map update last night.

Those with darkvision scan the dark domed room and see nothing out of the ordinary. The room appears empty save for the red star motif on the floor. There isn't even dust here.

Straehan scans the room with eldritch vision and shakes his head. "I'm seeing nothing but the magical radiance that suffuses this whole place."

MAP: Update


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Jofram kneels, examining the "floor" for any scratches, scrapes or signs of travel. He runs his fingers along the stone, feeling out the history of this place.

Tracking: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (4) + 16 = 20 Wuh wuh wuuuhhhhhh....


DM

Jofram can't decipher much from the floor. There is perhaps the tell-tale dusty paw prints of a some large dog, moving at speed, traveling from the corridor you stand in, through the room ahead, and out the other obvious exit.


When Ushari is told of the tracks possible origins, she pulls on a stray braid of her hair. "It seems to me that was one of those shadow mutts we fought earlier." She glances up to the ceiling before turning her gaze to the star. "Strae, we should check for surprises before continuing on."

Perception (traps) 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24


The acrobat and sorcerer cautiously inspect the room and find that it is clear of traps and nothing evil and obvious lurks in the dome above.

The team moves through the room and out the corridor going Southwest. The odd truncating passageway ends in a drop-off. Looking down, a chute veers away at an odd angle for perhaps 10' before entering another small domed room. This one is well lit by a blazing yellow lamp. Given the orientation of the floor to the portion of the dome you can see, you imagine you can walk over the edge of the drop and be caught by the gravity of the chute... unless the Shaudran have a sick sense of humor.

Another red gravity switch line is just in front of Jayse.

Perception (Trap Spotting) 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29

MAP: Update


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Reaching into his pouch, Jofram pulls out a copper coin. He flicks it forward into the air, over the red line.


DM

Jofram's coin drops towards the room before it is sucked to the wall. It bounces twice, then rolls on a staggered path before falling over - still sticking to the wall.

In other words, the gravity is along the wall you would walk down. I'm going to assume the standard entry to keep things rolling along.

Our heroes step over the edge and fall briefly before the wall's gravity asserts itself and turns their tumble into a walk. As they enter the room they see an unsurprising blazing, but small yellow star mosaic embedded in the floor. The light is so intense, they blink against it but appreciate that it allows no shadows or dark corners to exist in the room.

The light blasts down the funnel-shaped hallway to the Southeast almost penetrating into the room at the far end. From that room, a bare flicker of a blue-white lamp can be seen along with the reflected glare from yet another unseen lantern from somewhere else.

Any actions in this room or are you moving on?

MAP: Update


Trying to determine the significance of the colors of the lights in the different rooms. I'm ready to press on, maybe with Strae searching for traps. Maybe Shari can hit him with guidance for the search and we can aid him? I smell a trap ;-)


Seems like a plan to me. Wish Ushari had some knowledge skill to help here with the astronomy stuff.

Ushari touches Straehan's shoulder blessing him with a measure of her deities blessing. Cast Guidance.

She then cautiously creeps down with Straehan, watching for traps. Perception 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29


SR, do you allow aid another on search checks? If so, I'll aid Strae. I have +15, so I cant fail.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
I have +15, so I cant fail.

Famous last words.


DM

Since Ushari and Straehan are sneaking forward solo, I'm going to say 'no' on an AA from Orin.

The cleric and the sorcerer inch forward along the corridor, only considering after the fact that the bright light behind them casts their silhouettes into the room ahead. Moreover, the gnome scuffs his feet more than once.

They've barely entered the room (and seen no traps at first glance) when the unexpected happens. From the drop-chute on the far side, the unseen light is eclipsed by a shadow. The final Mastiff runs up the chute wall and leaps expertly - riding one gravity field into the next. Its leap is a perfect, high, parabolic arc landing it squarely in the room facing off against the scouts. Disturbingly, some of the wounds it received seemed to have healed in the minutes since our heroes last fought it. The beast raises its muzzle and lets out an unearthly and ear-bleedlingly loud howl amplified by the hard domes and confined corridors. It is so loud, in fact, that you can't imagine that at least a whisper of it hasn't reached every inch of the Ruin. End of surprise round.

I need a DC 16 Will Save vs the Hound's Bay for everyone including Familiars. This is a sonic, mind-affecting fear effect.
Follow that with an Initiative Roll, please.

Just as a pre-combat reminder, Jofram, your armor runs for minutes. My assumption is you shut it down at the end of the last battle, otherwise you've run out of power by now.

Round: 1

ORDER: ???, Mastiff, ???

MAP: Update

Ja's HPs: 70|70
Jo's HPs: 79|79
Ov's HPs: 72|72
Uv's HPs: 52|52
St's HPs: 60|60

INT Check DC:20 (Orin gets a +2 Circumstance bonus):

stormraven wrote:

Structural...

What the accounts agree on is that the Shaudran were fixated on cosmology and that penchant was reflected in the construction of their edifices. Circular room repesent stars, the size of the room relates to the brightness of the represented star. Corridors run between the circular 'star' rooms in a configuration that mirrors their revered constellations. It is speculated...

The only Shaudran constellations where records have been found to identify their ancient names are:

  • The Soul Serpent - the image of a winding snake swallows an egg
  • The Night Reaper - the image of a running man with a low sweeping scythe cleaves sheaves of wheat
  • The Water Pourer - the image of a woman with an amphora over her shoulder pours forth a cascading stream of water
  • The Lord of the Leaden Sky - the image of a strongly built naked man wields dual mattocks and screams at a blank sky
  • The First Scorpion - the image of an eight-legged angular black scorpion stands with claws open, its tail poised to strike a setting sun
  • The Sea Gate - the image of a massive circular portal sits half submerged in a choppy sea

Pretty much you can assume that the color of the each star is most likely related to the Spectral Color Type of the stars in the constellation represented.

Rolls:
Ushari Stealth 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30
Strae Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Strae Perception (Trap Spotting) 1d20 + 18 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 18 + 1 = 28 Guidance

Stuff? 1d20 ⇒ 6
More? 1d20 ⇒ 6
Yet More? 1d20 ⇒ 20
Really... is this needed? 1d20 ⇒ 5
One More? 2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4
Now I'm just messing with you... or am I? 1d100 ⇒ 16


Will Save 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Initiative 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


WS Orin 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

WS Filch 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Init Orin 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

INT check 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Soon to be poignant question: If Filch runs away out of my pocket, can I AoO "trip" him back into the pocket, or on the ground in the square next to me?


Will save 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
INT check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


DM
Orin Vanderwhal wrote:
Soon to be poignant question: If Filch runs away out of my pocket, can I AoO "trip" him back into the pocket, or on the ground in the square next to me?

You can trip him as an AoO in the adjacent square.


Cool, that's what I thought.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead
stormraven wrote:
Just as a pre-combat reminder, Jofram, your armor runs for minutes. My assumption is you shut it down at the end of the last battle, otherwise you've run out of power by now.

I haven't activated my armor since we last rested. I was firing from the boat, so didn't see the need. I generally don't continue to refresh it outside of battle, unless specified. I don't currently have it on, for exactly the reason you pointed out.

Will Save (+4 vs Sonic): 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 4 = 13 8(
Vaelos' save: 1d20 ⇒ 13


DM

I still need your INIT roll, Jofram.
We're also waiting on Jayse's rolls. Those may be late in coming as Ben mentioned he's been sick.


HP: 51/79 | | Anatomist (+1 to confirm Crits) | | Fav. Enemy +4 = Humans, Half-Humans, Undead

Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 . I'm starting to get creeped out with all the 13's...


DM

Roll Off - Jofram 1d20 ⇒ 17
Roll Off - Mastiff 1d20 ⇒ 13

6,051 to 6,100 of 7,012 << first < prev | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SR's - Great Southern Isles (PbP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.