Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

DM Brainiac's Ruins of Azlant: Ladies of Adventure!

Game Master Brainiac

Explore the mystery of a lost colony and discover the ancient secrets of Azlant!

Battle Maps on Google Slides

Loot Spreadsheet

Map of Talmandor's Bounty


1 to 50 of 414 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

"Land, ho!"

A cheer rises up from among the colonists as they scramble to the deck of the Peregrine. After six long weeks at sea, they are eager to catch a glimpse of their new home. What begins as a small dot of green on the horizon steadily begins to grow in size as you get closer, and soon you can make out the tree-covered ridges, rivers, and beaches of the island of Ancorato.

A breeze from the ocean breaks up the warm, humid air a bit. Today, the salty scent is tinged with something else. The smell of opportunity. Of adventure. Of a new beginning in a place far removed from the Inner Sea Region.

It will only be a few hours now before you reach your destination.


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

A young woman steps onto a railing and grabs ahold of the rigging so she can swing herself up and take a look. Arma takes a long, deep breath, long disenchanted with the smell of sea air but newly hypnotized by the view before her. "Stars, we've really made it, haven't we?"

For a moment, she's forgotten what she left behind, and even when it occurs to her again, it just sets her resolve. This is an old world and a new beginning, for me. All that's left is to do my best for the people here, using everything Master Ewyn taught me and all I've learned since then. She's smiling.


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia rushes to the railing with her new friend Kulena Sprads. She slaps her on the back. "See land just there. I told you we'd make it. Gozreth has never failed me." She takes a deep breath and looks excitedly at the approaching land.

"We're actually part of a new colony. I'm so excited. I can't wait to help the first baby come in the world in a brand new land." She takes another deep breath of the salt air.

Gozreth thank you for bringing us safely this far. Continue to keep us safe. She pats Kulena on the back again and grins.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail is already on the bridge when that call is heard. She hated having to go under deck. The air was stale and there were just too many people in too small a space for her comfort. No, the open air of the upper decks was where she felt at home. Often, she would extend her fingers towards the sky, dreaming of taking off and flying alongside the ship. Other times, it was the ocean that beckoned her. If only she could just dive and swim alongside the dolphins that often danced in the waves!

The sight of land was great news indeed! Fresh food, space, all those things she longed for. But land also meant discovery. How many people had laid eyes on this island, on its denizens, barring forgotten eras? How many secrets a place such as this had in store for her!

That was the real thrill she felt. Not relief from current conditions, but the excitement of discovering a new world filled with opportunities for further discoveries.

Finally, managing to peal herself from the ever-growing image of the island, she makes it to the lower deck and fervently packs her kit.


Kulena smiles at Relia. "The next time you talk to the Wind and the Waves, tell them we're all grateful for the safe journey. I'm ready to have solid ground under my feet again." She smooths out one of her waist-length braids as she looks to the island on the horizon.

When Relia mentions babies, she smiles and glances over to where farmer Faedwyr Trundlebrook stands with his wife, Helena. Her hands cradle the swell of her rounded belly. "You won't have to wait too long for that. Helena looks like she's only got a few more months before she pops!"


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

While packing, Abigail spies Harcourt in a corner, busy filling a bucket with his guts. Cheerful, she shouts at the nobleman: "Didn't you hear? Land Ho! Land Ho! We made it! Firm ground is but a few hours away. That bucket must be smiling!"


Harcourt's pale Chelish complexion is even paler due to the rocking of the ship. The handsome man is in good physical condition, but it is clear that the sea doesn't agree with him.

"Ugh. Thank the gods that this nightmare cruise is almost over. If I never have to board another ship again, I'll be a happy man."


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

An elven woman makes her way abovedeck at the call of 'Land Ho!' At her shoulder floats a swirling pile of pulsating stones,
"We're finally here.... Oh, it'll be great to feel the ground beneath my feet again. Don't you... oh, never mind." She bounds onto the railing and hangs over the edge, enjoying the sea breeze, momentarily contemplating jumping overboard for a swim. However, Tessa quickly disregards the notion as foolish.


Only a short time later, the Peregrine sails into a natural bay with a sandy beach within rowing distance for the ship's boats. As the crew begins to untie one of the smaller boats to lower it into the water, the sailors pass a spyglass among themselves and finally hand it back to the captain. Captain Jacob Markosi peers at the island for a moment before grunting and handing the spyglass to expedition leader Ramona Avandth. "You should see this," he says quietly. Ramona's natural tan complexion has deepened from the weeks at sea. She keeps her brown hair cut short. She accepts the spyglass and peers toward the shore.

When she lowers the scope, she is clearly distressed but trying to hide the worry in her green eyes. She approaches and motions toward the far side of the deck, away from where most of the other colonists have congregated. "Can I have a word with you?" she asks.

Once you have some privacy, she continues. "We have a problem," Ramona says bluntly. She offers you the spyglass. "Something is wrong. Nobody’s in sight. There’s no smoke from cook fires or the smithy. Some of the buildings look burned out." A look through the glass confirms her observations.

"Sailors can’t keep their mouths shut. Soon all the other colonists are going to hear about this—if they can’t see for themselves already—and things could become…tense.

"I want the four of you to take the boat ashore and check out the settlement. I'm going to ask Captain Markosi to sail north along the island's coast to as secondary landing site determined by the expedition's surveyors as an alternative spot to found a colony. The site was later designated as an emergency extraction point should any danger befall the first wave of colonists. With luck, we might find some people there who can tell us what's going on.

"After you have a chance to check out Talmandor's Bounty, the ship will rendezvous with you at this secondary location, whereupon I will make a final determination on where the rest of the colonists should disembark."


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail's merriment vanishes swiftly. This was not the kind of mystery and wonder she was hoping for. For a moment, all she could think of is the fate of the disappeared. How many were there? Could they all have been killed? Taken away? Enslaved by pirates?

Too many questions for so little information. With a simple nod, she helps to get the smaller boat ready and takes her position at the oar: "Someone keeps an eye on the shore. We'll be quite vulnerable while we approach!" she warns.


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

Tessa's face becomes serious, "Of course." She turns to the hovering mass of earth by her shoulder, "Azil, would you..." the small construct zips across the sea.
"There. Azil can take a quick glance around for anything that might be hostile. How do you want us to get to shore?"

Azil will simply go for a little recon to the shore, make sure we won't die as soon as we land, letting Tessa know if there's 'Danger'.
Azil Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Azil Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Ramona points to a lonely dock built off the sandy beach. "It would probably be best to take the ship's boat to the dock and moor it there. Good luck, and stay safe."

Azil darts over the calm waters of the bay, crossing the three hundred feet or so to the beach. The construct flies up and down the beach before returning to Tessa, not having spotted any source of immediate danger.


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

Satisfied, Tessa walks over to the ship's boat and looks around for assistance in lowering it, "Well? Come on, we've got work to do."


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia looks at the colonists who are still talking excitedly.

She nods. "Let's go and see whats going on there. How far away is the secondary place you are heading to?"

Once she gets her answer she climbs down into the boat, and waits for the others.


"The secondary site is nine miles north of here. It should only be a day's walk for you once you've finished your survey of the colony."

The excited chatter slowly turns to concerned murmurs as the colonists realize what is going on. Ramona does her best to keep everybody calm as the four of you climb in the boat and start heading towards shore. The bay's waters are calm, with only a gentle rocking of the ship's boat. The shore is approximately three hundred feet to the east.

Perception:
Arma: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18
Abigail: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Relia: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Tessa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

You row across the bay, closing the distance to the dock. You are still about fifty feet away when two creatures suddenly burst out of the murky water! They emerge on either side of the boat--unsightly monsters that resemble goblins from the waist up and greasy octopi from the waist down! They stab with their spears, but don't manage to hit anybody.

Spear vs. Abigail: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Spear vs. Arma: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Initiative:
Arma: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Abigail: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Relia: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Tessa: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Grindylows: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Before you can react, the creatures attack again, this time with more unfortunate results as they stab Abigail and Arma.

Spear vs. Abigail: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Spear vs. Arma: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

6 damage to Abigail, 4 damage to Arma. Everybody can post their actions for this round now.

The creatures are adjacent to the boat on either side, which is 10 feet wide by 20 feet long. Fighting them from inside the boat is challenging. PCs who remain seated take a –2 penalty on attack rolls. A character can negate this penalty by standing up and attacking, but anyone standing in the boat must attempt a DC 10 Acrobatics check each round in which they attack. Success means they remain standing until they attack again. A PC who fails must attempt a DC 10 Reflex save. If successful, the PC immediately sits back down as a free action (standing back up is a move action, as normal), but a PC who fails this save falls overboard into an adjacent square.

A Knowledge (dungeoneering) check can identify the creatures.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

"What monstrosities are these! Vicious goblins of the deepest seas? We need to fend them off and get to the shore! More could be nearby!" warns Abigail as she draws her machete and grabs the shield she had laid at the bottom of the boat.

Not sure I can do all this and still attack...

If I can make an attack:

Machete, sitting: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 - 2 = 161d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

When the creatures rise from the water and attack, Arma curses, "Damn!", stands, and draws a pair of daggers.


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

Just before the creatures burst out of the water, Tessa's arcane senses began tingling, giving her just enough time to stand up as they lunge forward! Her mind races, trying to recall what these creatures might be.
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Diviner Forewarned ability allows me to act in the surprise round. It also grants me an Initiative bonus, which I forgot to include. Combined with Warrior of Old (yeah, I gave up on finding an interesting trait) to have a final Initiative of +6.

Drawing her crossbow, Tessa studies the situation, using a hint of magic to figure out the best course of action as she fires her bolt into the tangle, easily keeping her balance on the unsteady boat.

Foresight: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Crossbow, Into Melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 2 - 4 = 14
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

EDIT: 2nd round
Seeing her first shot go wide, Tessa quickly reloads and tries again, using more mundane sighting practices this time
What happened here, if we can't even get to the shore without being attacked? she thinks, allowing the boat to rock beneath her feet as she fires again.
Attack, Into Melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 2 - 4 = 14
Acrobatics DC 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia knows she can't stand well in the boat. "Blessing of Gozreh on you all. She casts Bless on the party, and then pulls out her Trident.

"Something is very wrong if we can't even get to shore without an attack. The colonists should have cleaned these waters of danger if they were living here."


Tessa recognizes the creatures as grindylows, sadistic aberrations that take immense pleasure in others’ misfortunes and the spread of mayhem! You can hear shouts and cries of concern as the crew and colonists on the Peregrine realize you are under attack!

Relia blesses the group and draws her trident. Guided by Gozreh's blessing, Abigail slashes the grindylow that attacked her with her machete. Blood flies as blade parts rubbery flesh, and it shrieks and falls back from the boat.

Arma draws her blades as she stands up, ready to attack.

Tessa reloads and shoots at the grindylow attacking Arma. Relia's spell gives her the extra edge she needs to land a good hit.

Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

The first monster jets away at high speeds, disappearing under the waves. Snarling, the other grindylow shifts its ire to Tessa, but the elf dodges its spear thrust.

Spear vs. Tessa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

Arma strikes at the second grindylow with both daggers.

attack+bless: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

attack+bless: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

damage: 1d4 + 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + (3) + 1 = 8

acrobatics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

'skillful' reroll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Arms drives both of her daggers into the grindylow's skull, piercing its brain. It twitches and slides back into the water, dying.

In the distance, you can hear the cheers of the Peregrine's crew and the colonists as they witness your victory. You see them waving to you as the ship sails around a corner of the island and out of sight.

With the grindylows defeated, you can make it the rest of the way to the dock unimpeded. A solitary dock extends from the beach into the bay. The construction is solid and looks recent, suitable for tying off a small boat, although no watercraft are visible. The beach inclines to the east before giving way to grass and trees. Further on in that direction, buildings and a palisade wall stand on the rise.

Looking into the water, you can spot a canoe on the sea floor at a depth of ten feet.

Arma, since it didn't matter if you sat back down after you killed the grindylow, you can keep your Skillful reroll and use it for something else later in the day.

Map of Talmandor's Bounty

I've linked the map at the top of the page as well.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail looks back at the sea: "We made it, but one of them escaped... Any idea what these were? And more importantly, would those creatures form settlements... I suggest we bring the boat on the sands. I feel it will end up alongside that drowned canoe otherwise..."


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia nods in agreement with Abigail, and helps pull the boat up in the sand. She stands and looks around.

"Let's follow the main path. I think I see an unfinished outer wall. It's a good a place as any to start looking." Relia moves forward when the others are ready trident out and ready.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


You work together to drag the boat up onto the shore. Once it's safely out of the water, Relia leads the way towards the colony.

A well-worn path in the grass rises up a slope toward a cluster of buildings to the east. The buildings are arranged in a rough triangle, with each point ending in a wooden circular enclosure with rectangular notches cut intermittently, like battlements. These round enclosures are clearly meant to be three points of a wooden palisade fence, which would enclose this first group of buildings once completed. The palisade fence, however, is complete only along the southeastern side of the triangle and is obviously unfinished elsewhere. The grass around the settlement looks like it was cropped at one point, and many paths exist between locations in the settlement, but in less well-trafficked spots, the grass has started to regrow.

All the buildings are constructed of either rough timber or mud bricks set in a wooden frame, and have pitched thatch roofs. Many have open window frames, but only a few have actual shutters or even a canvas curtain for privacy. Doors are basic, wooden affairs, too simple for locks, and some buildings lack them entirely. The construction is new, quite rough and unfinished.

There are no tracks in the sand leading from the dock to the colony. The entire settlement is dead quiet. The only sounds are the waves lapping gently onto shore.

Just outside the palisade stands a group of seven canvas pavilion tents, all of which are large enough to shelter two to three people each. All but two tents have collapsed due to wind, rain, and lack of maintenance. The two that remain standing lean haphazardly and do not appear to have been entered for a long time. Grass has begun to grow around them.


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

"Not just abandoned, but long-since-abandoned, they didn't even finish constructing the palisade," Arma notes. She shakes her head. "I'd like to take a look at those tents and the houses, maybe we'll find some clue as to what happened."


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

"Let's start with one of the buildings on the left. I think we should look through everything just in case. I'll lead the way." Relia looks around and heads in the direction of the closest standing building.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail nods, but adds: "Very well, but let me first look to the ground and see what kind of signs there are of creatures' passage. Then, you can all trample the grass at your leisure."

She walks slowly in a spiral, trying to look as far as possible inside the compound within stepping in. From time to time, she kneels, touches the floor, inspects a suspect insect, then throws it behind her with a shrug.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Abigail scans the ground around the palisade for signs of tracks, but she doesn't discover any. It appears that nobody has been here for a long time.

You enter the palisade and look around the heart of the colony. In the center is a public well. The water is clean and potable, and the rope and bucket are still intact. Just southwest of the well si a wooden scaffold with a set of steps. It looks suitable for use as a platform to address a large crowd. North of the scaffold is the remnant of a well-used community fire pit surrounded by stones, large enough for a reasonably sized bonfire. Most of the ashes in the central fire pit have been rained on repeatedly and are now mixed in with the soil. It is clear that no fire has been lit here for weeks.

Relia leads you to the closest building to the north. This mud wall building has a door facing east and one shuttered window. Above the door is a plain wooden sign that reads, “Tool House.”

The contents of this building are useful but unremarkable. Hanging on the wall from hooks and nails are an assortment of tools, such as hammers, handsaws, hatchets, machetes, trowels, and the like. Various other implements, such as makeshift ladders, barrels of tar, and shovels are stacked or otherwise arrayed about the room. Absent are tools and implements that would pertain to or be exclusively used for blacksmithing.

There is no way the original colonists could relocate successfully without taking these tools. In fact, these materials are vital to the survival of the colonists who arrived on the Peregrine—while the second wave of colonists brought some of their own tools, they made plans around these resources being available when they arrive.

A wooden box with the words "Emergency Only" carved on the lid sits on a shelf. The box has as simple lock, but the key is missing.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

No information is information, and Abigail doesn't let the absence of trails get to her: "This happened a few weeks back then..."

What gets to her is what the silence means: a great predator...

"No bodies. They vanished. And only some of the tools are missing... What to make of this? I say we go through each dwelling meticulously. Perhaps we can find some kind of message, a letter..."


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia points to the box. "Does anyone have the skill to open that box?" Nodding to Abigaila, "Agreed we need to go through this place very carefully."

She points to the fallen tents. "Those may have any personal items in them." When they make their way their she studies it carefully.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

Arma frowns, and picks up the strongbox to look it over. "I can take a look at it, but I don't have the right tools, so I don't know that I can do much beyond say 'open sesame.'"

Disable Device: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Even without proper tools, Arma is able to improvise a lock pick and unlock the box. Inside, she finds four flasks of alchemist's fire and a folded up swarmsuit.

Relia searches through the fallen tents. Through careful examination, she discovers four labeled potions of cure light wounds as well as a shirt made of light, gossamer-thin fabric and embroidered with arrangements of winged feet. It radiates a faint aura of magic.


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

"Well, the colonists probably weren't carried off by swarms of insects if all this is still here," Arma says. "Nevertheless worth keeping in mind that it's such a danger as to have a plan in place for it."

She takes one flask of alchemist's fire and leaves the rest of the contents of the box there, and tells the others of her findings. "If insects are such a big concern, it might be good to be prepared. I've already got some flasks of acid in my pack, if they're needed."


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail nods at Arma: "Yes. Perhaps we should split these among us. We can thus concentrate our fire if necessary. I would prefer the suit to the flasks though. Sometimes it's best just to leave these pests alone and get what we need where they nest. In any case, as we're about to move, keeping those in a lockbox serves no purpose."

As Relia comes up with fine finds, it reminds her to heal her wounds: "I'll need a few minutes to commune..." and she walks a few paces away to a place that she finds suitably peaceful to concentrate and ask nature for her blessings.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

The magic only goes so far. When she comes back, she looks at Arma and comments: "You should probably take one of the potions Relia has found..."


Once you are ready, you head to the next building to the north. This rectangular building is constructed of mud brick walls. The building has a simple door facing east, but unlike all other buildings in the colony, it lacks any windows. A heady smell of dried plants, herbs, and dried meat lingers in the air.

Inside, the ground has been dug out to a depth of 3 feet so that the floor is lower than the ground outside. A short flight of steps set with flat stones leads into this darkened area, lit only by any ambient light coming through the door. The building lacks interior walls except for a few short partitions, and four stout posts support the roof. The temperature is cool and the smell of rotted vegetables and meat is strong. Strings of garlic hang suspended from ceiling crossbeams alongside chunks of salted meat and bone. Debris and refuse is strewn across the floor between stacks of crates, boxes, and barrels against the walls.

Perception:
Abigail: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Arma: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Relia: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Tessa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Abigail and Tessa notice that several of the barrels and containers remain sealed. However, they are also able to spot a huge number of cockroaches lurking in the gloom. They are likely to swarm anybody who tries to enter.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail signals the others to hold and to step back out. Once outside, she explains what she saw.

"I suggest for now that we use the suit to get what food we may need. If we decide to settle here, we'll get rid of those pests. What do you guys think?"


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

Arma drinks her extract of Cure Light Wounds. "Eugh, the idea of going down there even in the swarm suit makes my skin crawl, but the fact is, having those supplies available for folks on the Peregrine would do a lot for morale, and safety, besides. And once the food that's still good is out of the way, it'll be a lot easier to destroy the nest." She shrugs. "If or when we destroy the nest, I've got a few thoughts on making the best use of that alchemist's fire."

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


The roaches rush out and swarm over Abigal as she moves into the building, but the swarmsuit keeps her safe from the hungry insects. Some of the salted meat is still viable, so she brings it outside along with the sealed containers. The roaches seem reluctant to emerge into the bright sunlight, so they don't follow the druid out.

A fragrant paste has been applied liberally to the outside of the containers--a mash of bay leaves, garlic, and catnip, all of which
are natural pest repellents. Inside are copious amounts of preserved foodstuffs, which should serve the colonists well in the coming days.

Abigail also finds a teakwood box that is approximately 12 inches by 2-1/2 inches by 1-1/2 inches. It looks of good craftsmanship, and inside is a magic wand.

The box itself is worth 30 gp.


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relia has been following quietly as the group examines the abandoned community.

She studies the shirt, and the wand to see if she can figure out what they are. "Still no notes on what happened? I wonder if there is a journal to be found."

Spellcraft Shirt: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Spellcraft Wand: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Wand of goodberry with 49 charges. Shirt remains unknown.


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

Tessa returns from... somewhere. Nobody really noticed that she was gone, or where she might have left to, but she rejoins the others with Azil hovering close behind without a word of explanation. The construct seems to be looking in all directions.

Without a word, she touches the magical shirt, and mutters something. Her pupils fill with starlight as Tessa studies the magical flow through the weave.

Spellcraft (shirt): 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 2 = 25

Azil is currently Detecting Magic in all directions, and Tessa will refresh the spell every minute.

"A wand of goodberry? With forty-nine charges... Hmmm..." Tessa curls her hair between her fingers as she thinks, "A freshly-made wand can be used fifty times. So that means they had to use the spell exactly once. So... that means...." she frowns, her brow creasing as she contemplates the implications, "Hm. That could be any number of things. Maybe they just barely ran out of supplies on the boat? And had to top off? No, they still have salted meat. Maybe that was packaged after they arrived? Or maybe they... no... ah, too many possibilities." She glances at her familiar, and it drifts over. Tessa taps it almost absent-mindedly, and it continues to drift around the area, studying every direction for magical auras, anything that might grant more clues.


Through her empathic link, Tessa can sense Azil's satisfaction as it picks up a magical aura of moderate power coming from the long building to the northeast.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

"I can use the wand effortlessly, so perhaps it is best if I am its custodian, for now..." offers Abigail.

She looks around the place: "They we're well equipped, and were doing great, from the look of it. then something happened... Perhaps they discovered something? I mean, they had enough time to get settled, so whatever took them did not notice them right away. you think those creatures we fought could have done it?"


HP 14/14; AC 18/13/16, Saves Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 (+2 v. charms, compulsions); Per +1/+3 (Familiar +7), Init +6; 8/8 Presience Female Aquatic Elf Diviner (foresight) 2

Tessa leaves off the shirt Any luck IDing that?, and looks curiously to where Azil is indicating, "Hmm..." she barely even seems to realize that Abigail is talking, "Over there... That big building has fairly powerful magic permeating it. Nothing on the level of the Audaria, but more than I could pull off. It's worth a look, if you ask me."


Oops, sorry. It's a quick runner's shirt.


AC 16 (Currently 14), T 11, FF 15 hp 19/20 Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5 Female human (Varisian) cleric (stoic caregiver) of Gozreh 2 LN humanoid (human) Init +1; Senses Perception +2

Relina hands over the wand to Abigail. "At least we have a source of food if we need it."

"Let's head to the big building as Tessa suggests, and see what we find." Relia moves to the building. Weapon still at the ready.


HP 20/23 | AC 15(+2) Tch 12 FF 13 | CMD 18 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +1 | Init +2 | Perc +6 | Cold Iron Dagger (Tessa's)

Abigail ignores that the others ignored her question. It could wait. She was actually interested in what Tessa had found.


These two long, rectangular buildings are constructed entirely from planks on a wooden frame, with a pitched thatched roof. Each building has two doorframes on the side of the buildings opposite the palisade, but lacks doors. Four window frames open into either side of the long walls, a few of which have no cover and others only a canvas draped across the inside. A partial view of the interior is possible from the doorways. Inside, the floors are hard-packed earth, and along the walls are wooden bunk beds. Many of the pallet beds are covered with blankets that now gather dust. Those beds have sacks or tied bundles of clothes sitting at their feet.

Looking into the northwest building, you see an insectile creature rooting around. The size of a large dog, the pale white bug drools noxious ichor from its clacking mandibles. Upon noticing you, it starts rushing towards you!

Initiative:
Abigail: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Arma: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Relia: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Tessa: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Bug: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Arma can go before the bug. It is about 15 feet away.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 13:
This creature is the nymph stage of a magical beast called an ankheg. Their spittle is acidic, and they are capable of spitting lines of acid from their mouths. The presence of a nymph here indicates there must be more nearby, including an egg-laying adult.


Human Alchemist (Vivisectionist) 1 | HP 13/18 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F+4 R+7 W-1 | Init +4 | Per +4 | CMD 16

Arma drinks her mutagen and draws her weapons. "Well aren't you an ugly one!" she declares.

Dex mutagen brings Dex to 22, Wisdom to 6. AC 20 T 15, R+8 W-2, ten minute duration

1 to 50 of 414 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Ruins of Azlant: Ladies of Adventure Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.