Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

A New Start

Game Master sunshadow21

The untamed lands to the north and west present great opportunity, and also great risk, for those bold enough to make their own path.


1 to 50 of 424 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Eager to get started on their journey, our heroes gather together the next morning to collect a number of last minute supplies and get to know each other a bit more. Around noon, they find themselves in a cafe just outside the ATA compound. After a brief lunch, they walk through the plaza on their way to the main office building where they have been instructed to meet with the ATA officials briefly. The plaza is filled with wagons, tack, carts, crates, ropes, tarps, and various other equipment being cleaned, repaired, and inventoried by dozens of small teams of workers. In the meeting room, they find a single official talking with a cleric wearing the robes of Tula. After quickly wrapping up whatever conversation they were having, the elven official gets right down to business. "Pardon the lack of small talk, but today is a day for action, not words, so I will get right to the point. You have been selected to see if you can find a way to strengthen our trade network beyond the southern shores of Tora. We have had some contact with a number of places to the north, but they have been sporadic and rare, and there is much wilderness in between the scattered remnants of civilization that yet remain up there. If you wish, you may take a mule and small wagon from the stables. We also will provide each of you with a healing kit to help you recover from the unavoidable dangers of the road. Do you have any final questions before you depart?"


"Do you have a list of contacts for us to pursuit or are we to simply seek out friendly faces and city officials?" Garrett asks with an earnest smile.


"I'm afraid most of our regular contacts are concentrated in the Confederacy or the Midrealms, so you would be on your own to find contacts. If, after you reach a certain point, you find it simpler to find your own path and means of making a living rather than trying to rely on the ATA, don't be hesitant to do so; all we ask is that when you do have an opportunity to enhance the flow of goods between those regions and the southern coast, please do so, and encourage them to look us up when they get here. Beyond that, our only request is that you don't embarrass us. We have friends in surprising places, and we will find out."


"Perhaps those friends would serve as valuable contacts," he delightfully suggests, completely missing the threat. "Where do you suggest we begin, Mr...?" Holding the 'errrrr' for as long as it takes for the official to introduce himself.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Evrail thinks of questions to ask while others from his group start to ask question.


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Oi! Leave it to me chamin' ways, I might have been a sea reaver and mercenary but I can be good at makin' some friends as he smiles. So in short we are not to expect any direct help from you and we have to make it with whatever means we can?


"Mr. Athis, local project coordinator. Without knowing exactly where you will end up, it's hard to give specific help. Every time we've planned for someone to end up an a specific place when going that direction, they end up being pulled in a different direction. If you make it to the Three River's region, the Iron Valley, or the Remnant Hills, you could certainly ask around, and probably find someone who can lead you in the right direction, but there is a lot of empty space in between here and any of those places, and while we have made some inroads in that part of the continent, we still have a long ways to go before we can say we have the whole of it covered even halfway. The Great Wastes remain too unsetttled for us to make any progress, and the Feywood is full of creatures and things who are just plain nuts."


"Mr. Athis," Garrett repeats with vigor. "A man should never go into business without proper introductions between associates. I am Garrett Snow. With me is Evrail of the Midrealms, Talalthel Allastarra and the hulking fellow here is Einar Hakon." He looks over the group as he introduces them as if it were an exercise for himself to remember their names.

"So Mr. Athis, if I'm to put this simply you would like us to head south until we come across any person or persons who may be of great or moderate use to the ATA and direct them back to this or any existing company location. I have just one more question before we hitch the mule to the wagon and head out, how do you plan to reward us for our troubles?"


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

"I don't mind the sea or a wasteland but feywoods are a different story..." as he looks a bit nervous about the idea of going through the feywoods.

"Oi! Garret excellent question!!"


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

"I can take care of most things in any woods, fey or not." Evrail states after hearing talk of the Feywoods.


"North, Mr. Snow, not south, but otherwise, yes, you have the idea." Mr. Athis clearly has done this kind of thing many times, not breaking his professional tone despite the aasimar's naive tone. "If you like the sea, the Three Rivers region is the place for you. Place has enough rivers to keep any sailor happy, not to mention the pirate infested coast. If you feel like taking on the Feywood, be my guest, there are a few dwarven clans that still cling to the mountain edge, and might be a source for trade. As for reward, just as our assistance will be limited, so will our demands on whatever you manage to acquire along your travels, and a strong lot such as yourself should have little trouble finding sufficient resources to maintain yourself properly."


"Haha, just the same! I suppose I'm satisfied then. Unless any of my companions would like to ask anything, I believe that I'm ready to begin."


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Evrail I hope you do so, keeping our skin depends on that fact as Einar gloomy mood won't lift with Evrail reassuring words.

I have still something to do! I need a party drink as he smiles with a big grin.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Evrail looks at Einar "There are many creatures I have hunted and tracked. My father and all the hunters of his clan taught me everything they know of the forest. My mother who was a trapper also taught me all of what she knows of capturing beasts as well as which to keep away from."


Did you guys want to take the mule and wagon, or not?

You gather your things together, and head out the next morning. The weather is great spring weather, warm but not too hot, and a gentle breeze. The road going north makes for easy travel, and there are enough farms that you don't have to camp outside yet. As evening of the second day approaches, start looking for a farm to stay at for the night, and find what looks like a cozy and reasonably prosperous one just off the road. As you turn off the main road to the lane leading to the farm house, you can see the farmer and several of his sons preparing the fields. They hear you coming, look up, and start to come over to see what business you have with them when suddenly a hole opens up beneath one of them, causing to disappear from view. The others all freeze in horror as the farmer shouts "Ankheg."


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Hey! A pack animal sounds good to carry all sorts of stuff, I don't have my book with me how expensive are they? I will probably add a cart if I could xD


You were offered a mule and small wagon (really a large cart) by the ATA if you wanted it.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Mule and small wagon is okay with me.

Was going to roll to see what I knew about Ankheg but forgot they are magical beasts.


They are common rural vermin. You would know the basics.


I approve of a mule and wagon. How many medium creatures does the wagon seat?


1 driver, and one medium passenger comfortably, 2 if you squeeze.


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

So not much but better than nothing ^^, who is the best rider?


It's more for carrying excess loot and extra gear than to speed the party up. I'll get combat information up shortly.


My ride bonus is compromised by my ACP but I've got +8 for handle animal and Einar has +3 ride. Idk which is used for directing a wagon. Are there any horses for sale at an ATA affiliation discount?


You could have picked one up at half price. I'm going with handle animal to drive the wagon.


initiative:
Einar 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Evrail 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Garrett 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

Ankheg 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Farmers 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Combat (Round 1):
Round 1 Map
The hedge is about 4 feet tall, and the hole is deep enough, you can't see down inside from where you are.

Combat Order (bold still to go)
Einar, Garrett, Ankheg (in posting order)
Evrail, Farmers

If you could indicate the round # in your post, it would be helpful for tracking purposes.


Round 1, Initiative 18:

HP: 12/12
AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF 16
CMD: 14
Saves: 3/0/4
Resist: acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
Speed: 20ft
Equipped: Bastard Sword
Abilities: Smite Evil [1/day], Daylight (DC) [1/day]
Conditions: none

+4/+4 Base Total: +4/+4

Garrett rushes towards the hole he pulls his sword from the scabbard on his back and rushes foolishly to overlook the disturbed earth. "We'll do everything we can to get Ankheg out of there before any harm is done to him!" he assures the farmers as he searches for any signs of the boy's whereabouts.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Double Move to G7, Free: unsheathe sword during movement.


Garrett:
You can see that the hole has a bit of a slope to it, but you can't see anything beyond the lip. You can hear a bit of struggle going on, and the ankheg clearly is not happy.


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Round 1

Something fun to do as Einar grins and hurries towards the hole.

Double Move F9; Free: unsheathe axe during the movement

[ooc]Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


You get the same info as Garrett.


HP 12 | AC 14 | T 14 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +1 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +4 | Per +3

You hear the sound of whistling and see a tall thin Elf with long white hair and an odd patchwork outfit sauntering slowly up the road towards the farm. A small reptile scampers eagerly at his heels. His hair seems to blow in time to his whistling, though there is no wind. As he sights the group of armed figures in the field he calls out in a loud cheery tone, "Hello there! Need some help?" and quickens his pace forward.

Balmoren approaches from the direction of B1,2 (unless TVoW says otherwise). The hyperlinked picture is accurate, except that his hair should be much longer and thicker.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Round 1, Initiative 12
Evrail hops off of the wagon, and moves closer to the others before saying
"Just keep making noise."

Move to G-3. Not ignoring you Balmoren just DM Wisdom said in OOC you would show up at round 2.


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Just remembered, I got +7 Handle Animal and +7 Ride btw


Round 1

You all hear a bellowing as the fragments of a what you think may once have been a farming implement come flying straight up out of the hole, and a young man somehow manages to emerge from the hole as his father instructs him to go warn the hamlet. The remaining farmers move to form a perimeter around the hole, spreading out and forcing the creature to surface so he can see his targets, wielding their hoes and diggers like polearms. You also see an elf and a small animal running the road behind you. Your mule, while nervous, seems to be trained well enough he isn't going to run away unless directly attacked.

Combat Order Round 1(bold still to go)
Einar, Garrett, Ankheg (in posting order)
Evrail, Farmers

Balmoren Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Combat Order Round 2(bold still to go)
Einar, Garrett, Ankheg (in posting order)
Balmoren, Evrail, Farmers (in posting order)

Evrail is up. Einar and Garrett can post as well, as they go before any of the NPCs.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Round 1

Move to G-3. Next time if I go after monster will wait to post.


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Can we get an updated map with our maps


I'll try to keep the maps updated as possible, but during the week, that will be easier said than done, as I am often not at my primary computer.


Round 2, Initiative 18:

HP: 12/12
AC: 16 Touch: 10 FF 16
CMD: 14
Saves: 3/0/4
Resist: acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5
Speed: 20ft
Equipped: Bastard Sword
Abilities: Smite Evil [1/day], Daylight (DC) [1/day]
Conditions: none

+4/+4 Base Total: +4/+4


Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Unsure of exactly what is happening Garrett continues to close in on the patch of earth where the young boy, 'Ankheg,' has just inexplicably emerged. Following the lead of the other farmers who seem to have done this sort of thing before, the novice warrior clasps his sword in both hands and prepares to make an attack on the next non-humanoid to poke his head from the hole.

Move: H11. Standard: Readied attack against the Ankheg if it is within range.

Readied Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male Aasimar Barbarian 2

Round 2

Awaiting for a monster to come from the ground, and starting to get anxious to beat it down to a pulp. A big grin shows in Einar's face.

Move to F12, ready attack against Ankheg if within range

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 (Using Power Attack)
Damage 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 (Using Power Attack)


Map Mid Round 2

As the party and farmers position themselves in a ring around the hole, the ankheg surfaces, and goes for the largest clump. Already mad, Einar's and Garrett's weapons do little to improve his mood, and he snaps back at Einar, but the ascent and the shock of the weapons digging into his flesh is too much for him to properly orient himself to his target. The farmers also tried to strike, but missed. They continue to harass the beast in an attempt to keep him distracted enough that he can't hit back, and do so with a fair amount of success.

Combat Info:
Combat Order Round 2(bold still to go)
Einar, Garrett, Ankheg (in posting order)
Balmoren, Evrail, Farmers

Balmoren Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Combat Order Round 3(bold still to go)
Einar, Garrett, Ankheg (in posting order)
Balmoren, Evrail, Farmers (in posting order)

Balmoren
Einar (+2 AC to next attack taken)
Evrail
Garrett (+2 AC to next attack taken)

Ankheg - 21 damage (severely hurt)
Farmer 1
Farmer 2
Farmer 3


HP 12 | AC 14 | T 14 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +1 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +4 | Per +3

Seeing the Ankheg emerge from the ground, Balmoren understands what all the fuss is about.

These round ears are more likely to help me if I help them first. Ooh lookie, a half-blood! Neat! Aloud he says to Evrail, I can do that. WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKAAAAA!!!"

He draws his bow and takes a shot at the beast.

Assuming the hedges are low enough to shoot over: Move action, draw bow. Standard action, shoot bow into melee (-4 penalty)
Attack:1d20 ⇒ 13 (Includes -4)
Damage:1d8 ⇒ 5
If I can't see over the hedges, draw bow and move to G2.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Round 2, Initiative 12

Seeing the ankheg come above ground he moves forward drawing his bow. He than fires at the ankheg.

Move to F-7
Attack and Damage Rolls:1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 4 = 191d8 ⇒ 7


The arrow is enough to stop the ankheg as it gives one final scream before collapsing into a dead heap. The younger men continue to watch the body and hole as the father turns to you all of you. "The Fates were with us today to have you come by when you did. I am Cicero, and while we have received training on how to survive such an attack, as the actions of Brutus shows, none of us can claim to be as efficient as you have proven to be."

Cheliax

GM W.R. Monger

"As long as your heart is brave man, you can overcome this things, if you don't you would die with honor and protecting your lands like king should. as Einar smiles to the Cicero I'm Einar and I need a drink or something, this thing is already starting to smell...


Cicero chuckles quietly, "That is well and good for you, but I am a simple farmer trying to take care of my family. Dying doesn't really help much in that. I'm just glad it wasn't able to do any more damage than it did. I thought we had gotten all the hatchlings and eggs for this year, but apparently not. If you want a drink, our village is down the road, and has a nice little pub. Just tell Mo, the bartender, that Cicero referred you, and you'll get taken care of fine. If you're lucky, you might even get served by his lovely daughter. A fine one, that lass is; if I was a decade younger and still single, but I digress, we have a carcass to take care of, so me and the boys had better get to it." He pulls out a hunting knife, and starts to examine the dead body, slowly and carefully removing the fragments of the outer shell from the rest of the body.


HP 12 | AC 14 | T 14 | FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +1 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +4 | Per +3

Balmoren and Compy wander over to the corpse and listen to the back and forth. Compy begins to gnaw on one of the insect's legs.
"Well met Cicero, my name is Balmoren." He says, as he bows with a flourish that includes the rest of the party."Allow me to help you with that." Balmoren leaps up onto the Ankheg's back and begins to pry back chitin with his hair.
Acrobatics 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Wonder if this is a female?
Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


"If you were to ask me, Cicero, I would tell you that your training was shining in your stance and resolve. I have known many men who would have lost bodily control when seeing a friend or family member harvested from underfoot such as yours. If the fates were with you in any possible way I would say it was not through our arrival but in the great fortune that the boy was spared any noticeably sever damages. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to closer inspect his wounds."


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 5

Evrail puts his bow away before walking up to the others. He listens as they speak to Cicero.


I'll be out of town all weekend visiting family as well, so I won't be around a computer to update the game until Monday.


After a bit of time spent cleaning up the ankheg corpse, half a dozen armed militiamen appear from the direction of the hamlet in a wagon. The leader, a big, burly man orders three of the men to investigate the hole while the others load the ankheg into the wagon to take back to the hamlet. The wagon with the ankheg and the party's wagon head to the hamlet as the leader, a blacksmith by trade, goes to help Zhiyo and his band with their problem wagon. Eventually, several hours later, those in the tavern at the hamlet hear the traveling troupe arrive in the hamlet square.

Balmoren:
When you get back to the troupe, you notice the owner's wife, who is also a fortune teller, watching you carefully. As the others take care of the broken axle, she pulls you aside. "I have seen a vision. You were standing by two wagons. One was our broken wagon, the other one unfamiliar and being pulled by a mule. You were in the process of transferring your possession from our wagon to the other wagon. My husband and I both agree that you have been a great asset to our troupe, but now, the Fates clearly intend something greater for you. Seize your destiny, and never forget where you came from."

Everyone else is that Mo's tavern, and can rp with the villagers a bit if you wish. I will move forward once Balmoren is comfortably settled into the tavern.

1 to 50 of 424 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A New Start All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.