Ifusaso's page

Organized Play Member. 46 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.


RSS


trollbill wrote:
Claxon wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

And the basis in the rules for being able to do all that is...?

Because what I'm seeing is a bunch of situations where you trigger a readied action without ever meeting the trigger condition.

Do remember that you're in the Rules forum, not in the Suggestions forum.

I know, and the only thing I have to base this on is that a readied action happens before the action that triggers it. I can see of no reason why that would imply you moronically shoot at the spot where someone used to be when you can see that they clearly aren't.

Imagine this in a real life context, you get ready to aim a ranged attack at someone and they move (doesn't matter how) and you want to hit them. In fact, they're your only target. Do you just shoot the spot where they used to be? This isn't about "dodging" or otherwise avoiding the shot from movement, in fact moving doesn't give you any bonus to AC vs ranged attacks (that I'm aware of, normally). Those values are wrapped up in things like your dodge and dex bonus. But your attacker still makes the attack versus your AC including those bonuses. So the target starts to move, you line up your shot and fire when you think you've got it (probably when they stop moving) and then continue with the rest of your turn.

You think I'm wrong, but lets hear any rules based reason for the converse point of you automiss and loose that attack? I don't know of any relevant such things but will amend my idea if there is something stronger to support the contrary position.

To me its as simple as if the person with the readied action had always been in iniative order before the person interuppted. That person then continues their action just like nothing happened out of turn. Any targets that are viable he can shoot.

So what if instead of readying for when the archer attacks he readys for after the arrow leaves the bow.

It would seem by your logic that if I could adjust instantly to target someone dim dooring away at the last second...

I would generally recommend against accepting "when a projectile is launched toward me" as a Ready trigger unless the action is exceptionally fast. Thrown weapons (the slowest projectiles) real world velocity is up to 70 mph, or over 100 feet per second. Arrows are closer to 150-200 mph (~220-300 fps). I know, I know 'Golarion doesn't have real world physics'... but honestly, to me, it's silly to think they're any slower than that.


Does anyone know of rules dictating how many Glyphs of Warding (spell on Nethys) you can maintain if you have it from multiple traditions?

Glyph of Warding wrote:
The maximum number of glyphs of warding you can have active at a time is equal to your spellcasting ability modifier.
  • What if you have different spellcasting ability scores for the different traditions?
  • What if you have different traditions using the same ability score?
  • Is there any reason you couldn't use your other tradition spells in Glyphs from one or the other?


I mean, many creatures with high Str will also have high Con, but not necessarily. I'm a bit surprised they went with Fort DC instead of allowing for the target to use their Acrobatics or Athletics DC (as you can with Escape) by choice.

I may implement that as a house rule (at least Athletics as a DC, maybe Acrobatics).


RE: Harighal and Rashimos' business and motivation.

After reading his section, I think I'm going to have both branch bosses be (begrudgingly) allied with Ochymua. Ochymua needed their assistance to access the Doomsday Stores, so one explanation of his lack of presence was tracking down the former residents of the facility. He's a powerful enough spellcaster (and Destined besides) that I'm comfortable handwaving the details of tracking down such monolithic and secretive creatures. Motivation is harder to fake, so I thought of these points:

Harighal was Runelord Xandergul's agent fighting the Veiled Master threat. Since Earthfall, he's been looking into the Runelords' condition and working to reconstitute his previous empire. He was potentially working the background of Rise of the Runelords and/or Shattered Star when Ochymua tempted him to come back, not knowing his true motive for agreeing. He remains around to work in subterfuge to slow the Veiled Master down and bide his time for an opportunity to sabotage it. He doesn't believe the PC's if they attempt to profess their fight against the alghollthus, believing it too outlandish that more mortals happened upon the Compass and Jazradan does not realize that the Mezlan would ally with him if they simply had a full conversation. Notably, Jazradan cannot access Herighal's room because of the 10ft walls of the facility. Nonetheless, he allows the creature access to the Doomsday Stores because he knows the alternative is Ochymua destroying him.

Rashimos was in a similar situation, probably researching why her patron has been silent for millennia. Perhaps she was trying to gain access to Nethys' library or find 'better' ways to worship, but Ochymua manipulated her into thinking Ibdurengian needed to be freed by using the device in the Doomsday Stores. She similarly helps him, returning to her old room as it feel more like home to her than anywhere else in the facility. The intends to betray him after Ibdurengian is freed to provide her promised army.


Mary Yamato wrote:
Missing is any information on how tall the wings of the structure are[...]

p27

"Unless otherwise noted, the chamber walls of the Compass stretch 30 feet up to a stone ceiling."


Looking at this final, epic, encounter... I find myself with a few more nagging questions.

Why would the party *not* flood the chamber? It's faster (2 rounds instead of 3), easier (DC 30, which is a joke DC btw, instead of DC 40) and at least as effective. I see no (written) method for the Aboleth to un-flood the chamber and resume the Countdown. If they can, are the Engineers capable of this or only Ochymua?

If they flood the chamber, should they be affected by pressure change? (RE:Mary Yamato's posts)

Does interacting with the console Provoke? If they're interrupted or otherwise move away from the controls, does the action requirement reset or can they or another PC continue the work?

Where are the Symbols of Stunning? How are any of the Symbols activated? I had assumed "passes over the rune" for the entry ones, but that makes no sense for Stunning. Touches or reads seem similarly unlikely to happen, while looks at would happen as soon as the PC's enter the room. Assuming the Engineers are Attuned, they cannot manually activate the Symbols.

What is Jazradan up to while the PC's are in the first phase of this fight? Hanging out in the first chamber? If the PC's help him, does he need to access the controls or can he do so telepathically like Ochymua? How long does it take him?


Mary Yamato wrote:

Maybe this will help other GMs:

[...]

The area inside G5 and outside G6 is drawn to resemble stone flooring, but the text makes it clear that this is open air above water (held out by a water-only force field). G6 itself is a stone platform but the area surrounding it is NOT.

The inexplicable inset on the map of this level is a side view. This makes it clear that G6 is not at the level of, nor attached to, the top of the stair/ramp of (unlabeled) G4 but is far above it. The exact position of the stairs can't be reconciled between the inset map and the main map. I'd go with the main map.

My original misunderstanding was that there is water in constant motion around the outside in a 40ft cylinder; I'm glad you recognized what the other picture was because I definitely did not (which also explains why it says 60ft to the bottom but 40ft fall into water in two different places). I would also note to anyone else who ritualistically avoids noticing Paizo's map scales; this area is another 10ft per square map like the rest of the facility.

The stairs seem to be misrepresented in both maps (or the text)

Beyond the Veiled Past p53 wrote:

A case of stairs descends to a thirty-foot walkway leading to a larger platform of smooth stone.

Looking at the map, there is 70ft from the stairs/entryway to the platform. It seems to think all 4x 10ft squares between the entry until directly under the Upper Gantry (G5's ring that should have been dotted-out as not there normally). This would place the central platform directly above the water if the stairs are 45 degrees. Both options are viable, but I'm going to stick with including the danger of falling for non-fliers for my run. For others, it may be be interesting to have the platform directly above the water, giving the Aboleth Engineers and any PC's convinced to dive in a non-3D method to return to the fight.

I'll have to remake the map to show that there is water and probably make a separate map for if they flood the facility. Where would I put resources like that?


tet325 wrote:
So I am wondering, would it be heavy handed for Ochymua to activate the Synchrony Device if the PCs spend too much time for crafting or downtime? I believe that most groups of PCs will get the idea that they should address the rising armies of Ochymua and the threat of a dooms day weapon as soon as possible but I am preparing for a possibility that the PCs take too much time.

While this is absolutely an option that GM's have... it is also not very respectful or fun (for most groups; some groups like that the world doesn't wait for them). If they felt like the players were taking advantage of them, they should have told them that they didn't feel like there was enough time, and put a sense of urgency back into the campaign. They should also be mounting larger and larger incursions to force the PC's hands in defending Talmandor's Bounty (or their base if they've moved).

It is a very common trope that the nemesis is just getting ready to activate their plan when the protagonist(s) arrive. That is the expectation of numerous written adventures, including this one. The option of punishing them should only be used in the case of things going nuclear.


RE: Rashimos' patron Ibdurengian

Further researching this, Ibdurengian is in the Rift of Repose; no indication is given that they are too far removed to provide their most devoted with their rewards, and furthermore, there is the possibility that the fiend has reformed. This could be a sub-plot to players who have interest in that.


For Glyph of Warding, how many Glyphs can you have if you gain a second magic tradition (such as through Archetype feats)? Does it matter if it uses the same or a different Spellcasting Ability?

Glyph of Warding wrote:
[...]The maximum number of glyphs of warding you can have active at a time is equal to your spellcasting ability modifier.


I feel very slightly bad... but not terribly.

I rewrote some of Auberon's statblock to make him far more dangerous.

Specifically, he now has Spell Perfection (Horrid Wilting) because of how appropriate it is to his story. He's spent centuries studying among other things, and now has both an Empowered and a Quickened Horrid Wilting prepared (in addition to the general prep outlined in the AP).

I made a couple other small changes. We have a Paladin/Multiclass, so he has Warding Bracers of Armor, for instance. He also has Secluded Grimoire'd his main spellbook to keep some of his secretes to himself (aka away from the Wizard), and those are the spells he will have if he is reconstituted on Kalas-Ti (my group is dead set on destroying him, so I need to follow up with a book 6 version of him).

I wish I'd come here earlier to think up a better history from him. My timeline is scrunched compared to Paizo's (~5,000 years instead of 10,000) but it still feels lackluster that he is the terror of such a small area. I think I'm going to drop clues in his Omen Dominion bungalo about stasis or tinkering or, more likely, plans of a counterattack against a previous group of heroes that laid him low.


The Chronomancer archetype for Wizards uses the vague term "effect" in their Rewind feature. I'm wondering what counts as an effect.

Rewind wrote:
As an immediate action after losing a spell due to a failed concentration check or after casting a spell that had no effect (such as due to successful saving throws, a failed caster level check to overcome spell resistance, or other immunities), the chronomancer can expend a number of points from his temporal pool equal to half the spell’s level (minimum 1) to immediately prepare the spell again, as if it had not been cast. Any material components expended in the original casting remain expended, as are actions used to cast the original spell.

Specifically, I'm looking at how the ability interacts with counterspells. Would a different creature expending an action and spell be considered an effect? Or do only the spells written effects count for this purpose?


Thanks, I'll make a new post and try to clarify the question.


Waves a necromantic hand

Not to dig up a post from 8 years ago, but this seems marginally more appropriate than starting a new one.

That pesky word "effect" has come up again, in the Chronomancer archetype for Wizards. Specifically, I'm looking at their Rewind ability and it's interaction with counterspells.

Rewind: wrote:
As an immediate action after losing a spell due to a failed concentration check or after casting a spell that had no effect (such as due to successful saving throws, a failed caster level check to overcome spell resistance, or other immunities), the chronomancer can expend a number of points from his temporal pool equal to half the spell’s level (minimum 1) to immediately prepare the spell again, as if it had not been cast. Any material components expended in the original casting remain expended, as are actions used to cast the original spell.

Would a different creature expending an action and spell (or similar things such as a Ring of Counterspells) be considered an effect?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Source

Are you able to Sustain a Spell on the same spell multiple times per round, for spells like Flaming Spehere to cause their effects more than once?


Necro for future information:

Staves use the weilder's CL and DC if the wielder has the spell on its spell list or if those values are higher than the wielder's. For anyone else, they use the item's.


Did you use Snakebite as the base for Serpentdeath? I'm trying to figure out what "Monstrous" is. I was originally curious if it was how you achieved 17-20/x3 crit on a Greatsword before remembering the Fighter Capstone.

IMO high level Fighters should basically always take Advanced Armor Training "Armored Juggernaut" and use Adamantine armor because they explicitly "stack" providing a substantial defensive boost few other builds can achieve. Also, every non-archetyped Fighter needs a Sash of the War Champion.

Quote:
If the fighter is 19th level and has the armor mastery class feature, these DR values increase by 5. The DR from this ability stacks with that provided by adamantine armor,

Maybe re-imagine the shield as Savith's Adamantine? Probably too far, but just a thought.

From a narrative point of view, Ydersius is only CR 19. You kind of overshot it in power. I also think I recall that she was grappled by the Serpent in their battle, so Ring of Freedom of Movement might be a little out of character (or maybe she was "grappled"... she was still swinging her Greatsword after all).


There are non-Adobe options (including Nitro PDF) that can be used to Extract every image from a PDF (or specific page(s) of a PDF)... it doesn't work with the Interactive Maps (as stated) but it does work with the Adventure Paths (and probably others). Unfortunately this usually includes unfortunate notes that are intended for the GM, as well as Location markers.


(waves a necromantic hand)

Actually, I've never seen it come up personally, but I think hogarth has the right of it. A rule that states when you're restricted, you can still take free and swift actions seems to specifically apply to Nauseated and similar situations.


Paladinosaur wrote:

Cool!

Is Sea Legs a Skill Feat?

No, all archetype Feats replace Class Feats.

Jason Bulmahn wrote:
Archetypes in the Pathfinder Playtest consist of a series of feats you can choose in place of your class feats.


The Panache Class feature allows for a couple ways to replenish your point pool. One is:

Quote:
Killing Blow with a Light or One-Handed Piercing Melee Weapon: When the swashbuckler reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon attack while in combat, she regains 1 panache point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the swashbuckler’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points doesn’t restore any panache.

My question is, if a Swashbuckler (or other class with this Feature) knocks out a target using non-lethal damage, is it intended that they regain Panache?

Clearly, the rules for non-lethal damage is that you 'add up' from 0 to reduce a creature's "effective" hit points. The creature is not "reduce(d)... to 0 or fewer hit points". However, I'm not sure if it was intended that the ability not interact with non-lethal damage or if that was oversight.


I agree with Zwordsman exactly. (Necroooooo...)

Dodging Panache is a triggered ability. Opportune Parry and Riposte is an ability that you can use to counter another creatures action. The only restriction would be that you'd be limited to the Parry portion, as your Immediate action is used up.

You would have to do all of this before knowing what the enemy rolled.


Actually Dodging Panache fails at stopping most Full Attacks, as the attacker can simply 5-foot step any time between attacks. The only situations it works in are Pounce or if the enemy 5-foot stepped to reach you in the first place.

There are a couple strategies that help make it useful, such as 5-foot stepping away after your final attack, or Dodging into concealment.


**Necro**

Selgard wrote:

My biggest gripe about is that, unless I'm misreading it, you can't make it into a dome any longer.. and I really loved that effect.

Caught out in the open and a dragon or horde of whatevers or avalanche is coming? Dome of Force- yes please.

Now its "wall of easily walked around". Blech.

(not that I didn't use it to totally halt and damage a ship that was chasing us once.. but that was a singular event that i don't really miss.. it was just fun to do once :0 )

-S

You're looking for Emergency Force Sphere.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emergency-force-sphere/

Another question, is there anything that says you can or can't have corners in your Wall of Force?


I'd like to go back to Hedwick's post, what motivation do the PC's have to actually go through the Sections H through K (Bleeding Forest and Bonetown/Smoking Marsh/Sacrificial Cave)?

They seem wildly out out of the way of most other sections, except B seems to want you to go through the Bleeding Forest (unless they travel from A) which would be pretty early for many players. (probably hitting it at level 4 instead of 5, which is a big level in many ways).

Particularly Bonetown-Sacrificial Cave almost has no way for the PC's to stumble into it despite having some really neat aspects. There doesn't seem to be any arrows pointing for the players to search the areas specifically.

The only justification I can see is if Nal-Shakar can only be accessed by following the northern rivers south. Even then, more cautious adventurers would take one look at either location and been like... "Well, we could do that, or we can go where there's stuff we need to do..."

Combining skims and actually reading, I've gone over the AP 5 times and still wonder if I'll even get to use those maps.


Falacata's are the best weapon for DPR calculations concerned with critting. Both 19-20/x3 (before) and 17-20/x3 (after Imp Crit/Keen) provide a better average than 18-20/x2(15-20/x2) and 20/x4(19-20/x4). Additionally, it will feel better to crit more (and with less overkill) than the x4 while also having more impactful attacks than a high threat range weapon.

Both a Magus (probably Kensai) for spell crits and a Vanilla Fighter with Power Attack and TWF feats make for great damage output builds. If you want the fun of critting but want to have better survivabilty, there is the Falcata Swashbuckler archetype.


A note in favor of not allowing ship-to-creature combat, I had a Star Wars: Force and Destiny game that went to garbage within 2 weeks of one of our characters deciding their Fighter ship weaponry was the appropriate response to every location there were known enemies. Outside of hostage situations, the weaponry obliterated everything (especially the creatures) with great prejudice... and that scale wasn't even 10x.

The one dungeon that *was* a hostage situation was a stealth mission followed by a bombing... and then the campaign was over.

So yeah... ship/person combat is a bad idea when the scale is off at all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Darche Schneider wrote:

Makeshift Scrapper Rogue Archtype.

1) You give up trapfinding for Catch off Guard and Throw Anything.
2) At later levels it gives you Imp. Weapon Mastery

I'd then use Arrows as the improvised weapon with Chairbeaker.

Since they're ammo, drawing them is pretty easy. You can throw them for damage, or you can stab with them. Breaking them isn't a problem either, as one gold piece would give you 20 of them.

Since they're actually weapons too, you could get them with all kinds of extra effects too.

Adamantine, Cold Iron, Silver, etc

The question comes when you start using ones like blunt or incinerator arrows

This was going to be my suggestion, minus the use of arrows. That seems a bit munchkin when you could RP your character picking up literally anything (or having an iconic improvised weapon like a forge hammer or cast iron skillet(s))

The archetype/feat combo is great for rogues; Disarm someone and they're always flat-footed to you (barring Improved Unarmed Strikes or natural attacks).


graystone wrote:
Yep, with that Str and Cha are you only dump stats. I wouldn't advise a Str bigger than what you need to carry your equipment for that build. Since you'll be swimming in skill points [int class + rogue skill points] you can always take profession [porter] as a DC 15 check allows you to "Increase carrying capacity for 8 hours as if Strength were 2 higher". Just get Wis + skill ranks = 5 and a take 10 [or take 20 is you have the time] and you'll save 2 points of Str for other stats. ;)

Off topic, where is there information about other uses of the Profession skill like your example with Porter?


Mergy wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
Hayato Ken wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
Just reflavor the synthesist summoner. Think of how easy it would be to justify the eidolon as the monk's spirit, divine power, etc.

Ah come on, why does always someone have to show up and bring either alchemists or synthesist summoners and also rogue flaming for bards in?

Halfling monks do enough damage and offer real great playing oportunities.

By now i think being able to deal too much damage on one hit or in one round effectively destroys the game and makes it boring!!!!!!!!!!

I´m way more for cool moves and maneuvers, daring deeds and unexpected turns. Its way better.

Do you know why people suggest those classes? Because they are better at their job. Who bloody cares what the name of the class is on the character sheet? Are you that shallow to think I was just suggesting the summoner because it's mechanically better? I was suggesting it because of its versatility and its ability to be flavored just like a monk. The summoner can be attuned to mystical power more so then the monk at any point. Why would you play a mechanically weaker character when you could play a character that's more competent. You know that it's also not fun to die just because your character started out bad right of the gate correct? Then you should also understand why a 20ft movement, -2 to strength, and a race named halfling wouldn't be a good idea for a monk character. Why are you playing a chaotic race that could be called a quarterling when you could be playing a summoner with much more flavor and capability? The summoner has more customization, better abilities, and melee power it wouldn't be sensible to play a monk. The game isn't ruined just because the summoner can deal more damage then the monk. The game is ruined when you start to tunnel vision yourself by classes. As for you last statement it doesn't seem relevant to anything and has nothing backing it. Good luck with your rogues and melee monks.
+1

-1

Hayato has a right to an opinion too. Just because Synth Summoner is better at almost everything doesn't mean you shouldn't play a class you want to. Besides, I have yet to find an actual game where Synth was even aloud. I like the idea of re-skinning classes if it fits better, but no need to throw so much flame at being called out for changing the topic.


Austin Morgan wrote:

...And their speed is reduced, something a Monk relies on.

You can get 30ft speed with them with the alternate racial trait Fleet of Foot (gives up Sure-Footed, +2 Acrobatics and Climb)


Majuba wrote:
harmor wrote:

Notice in the list of feats is `Improved Initiative` and then wasn't sure if they go on my turn or not.

This might get interesting when your Animal Companion is your mount.

Ask your DM before you pick the feat :) My Druid's DM does not allow separate initiative, which is fine (only slightly annoying that my +0 dex hinders the cat's +3).

On the flip side, *you* taking Improved Initiative affects you both.

When I GM (and admittedly, I do so with less experienced players) I always 'take control' of the AC unless it's a mount.

When unmounted, I do what their Handle Animal checks would indicate for them to the extent of the Tricks they've learned. It's too easy for the players to think of the animal as another PC. If the player hasn't acted, I generally have them Delay unless they or their PC have been attacked.

If a character is mounted, they act at the same time and with direct control so I don't step in in that case.


MurphysParadox wrote:
You get the first one: +6/+6/+1.

Seconded.


Don't forget that it *is* just a sapling... its possible that it hasn't developed enough to speak (even Treant) yet... maybe.


The fact that it's not a disarm (and therefor easier to do successfully) is offset by the fact that it's a Full-Round Action that costs a resource (albeit a refillable one) instead of a single strike that could be part of a normal Full Attack. You're giving up the opportunity to do damage in favor of making an opponent drop their weapon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

An extension of this, what if your party is ambushed while you're at camp, laying down, but have some sort of flight still active (either a long duration flight that hasn't worn off or racial flight)?


I'm with Melkiador and Fourshadow on this one. I don't think Sonic is/should be linked to one of the Kineticist elements because it's *not* an element. It's a sub-division of damage you can use to avoid hitting as much Resistance (looking at you, Mythic Call Lightning) similar to how half of Flame Strike is 'holy power' (not positive energy, but 'radiant' to use a more modernly coined term) damage. Sure, things are more likely to resist Sonic than radiant because some things simply don't have sensitivity to sound.

Any loud thing *could* cause Sonic damage. I don't consider it an element that a Kineticist could operate on, except *maybe* if you made an archetype around it similar to the Blood Kineticist. If that were the case, I'd attach it to air, personally, because air is the *easiest* way to control vibrations to 'throw sound at creatures'.


A bit of a dark horse, (and certainly not beating out some of the builds here) Inspired Blade Swashbucklers:

Full BAB (4 Swings)
Swift Action Fight Defensively (-2 hit, 1 Swing at full BAB)
Haste (1 Swing)
Weapon Training: +5 hit, +6 damage
Improve Critical, +1 Threat range with Rapier, Autoconfirm
Fencing Grace (to make them more SAD than MAD)

Full Attack:
40ish/40ish/40ish/35ish/30ish/25ish
(1d6+20ish)14-20/x3 +40 precision each

average crits= 26*4+26*3*2= 260 +240 = 500
all crits= 26*6*3= 468 +240 precision = 688

This was using a fairly simple build I made in-game with some of the feats going toward quality of life (such as constant flight). Theorycrafting weapons, I'd give it a Burst special ability and Thundering (+1d6/ +2d8+2d10 on crit) for an additional 216 average crits, 360 all crits.

I'm confident someone could do better, and it lacks the ability to Full Attack from further than 10ft away, unlike the Pounce Barb/Archers, etc. I only posted because I feel like they're underestimated because of their limit to a single weapon. The same character has 50+AC as well, and moderate or better saves. A very well rounded build to be able to push out over 7-800 reliably (no Mythic).


BadBird wrote:
lemeres wrote:
Well...swashbucklers can intimidate as a swift action while attacking anyway. It is the menacing swordplay ability- it just needs you to have at least 1 panche point. Cornugon smash would only free up their swift action (which admittedly has some value, since swashbucklers have a lot of swift action abilities)
That's the thing. Sure, you can use Menacing Swordplay; you're just sacrificing the ability to use the riposte part of parry and riposte or charmed life or dodging panache or doubled precise strike or Hurtful which is the other great reason to use Power Attack or... well anyhow, maybe don't use Menacing Swordplay.

For the record, your Immediate action uses your *next* turn's Swift, so you get to use Menacing (or another ability) if you haven't Reposted since your previous turn. Generally better to Riposte if you can, but you may not have the opportunity (didn't get attacked, missed the Parry, etc).


My GM had a slightly different approach, he subdivided typical creature statistics into 10 sections:

Senses: Vision, Scent, ETC..
AC: Armor Class weakness or strengths. This includes CMD.
Saves: Weak or Strong Saves
Immunities and Resistances
Weaknesses: DR, Vulnerability, Regeneration
Attacks: Strong attacks / Grab / Trip / Constrict / Rend
Special Attacks: Breath weapons, Auras, Gazes ETC..
Spell-Like Abilities
Languages and Skills
Lore: Ecology, Organization, ETC..

Making the DC is the creature's name and subtype(s), each additional 5 is one of the 10. It makes it basically impossible to know everything about any one creature, but easy enough to get the information you need. If you think about it, how likely are you to know *everything* about a creature? Do you know everything about squirrels and deer?

The other players expanded on the idea and instead roll d10s to determine randomly which knowledge(s) their character has from the list.


Being stunned isn't being helpless, its more akin to stumbling around, severely dazed (it's caused by physical attacks, usually).

Think about every boxing movie ever where they're coming to the climax and it goes into slow motion because the main character or nemesis just took a cross to the chin and loses *most* of the ability to defend themself. They're not helpless, they can push the other person away... but they're not doing much else.


Yeah the Bardic proficiency specifies that it can cast in Light Armor without ASF, and the Favored class bonus doesn't indicate that it somehow allows you to also apply that.

You could continue to take the Favored Class bonus to reach up to 20% less spell failure. Combined with Mithral armor, you could easily drop it to 0.

In summary, a Fighter 1 Bard 1 can't run around in Heavy armor with no ASF.


I'm voting to FAQ this... the duality of perception and large difference in power between the two make me *really* hope Paizo could give an actual answer.


James Jacobs wrote:
Ifusaso wrote:

I feel like this should be sent to be FAQ'd or errata'd.

What's the intended function of Monk/Brawler's Dwarf Favored Class Bonus:

"Reduce the Hardness of any object made of clay, stone, or metal by 1 whenever the object is struck by the monk's unarmed strike (minimum of 0)."?

Does this
- Reduce the hardness for the unarmed strike but not other things?
- Permanently/Instantly reduce the Hardness once?
- Permanently/Instantly reduce the Hardness each time an object is stuck?
- Something else?

If the damage is permanent/instant, is it reversible?

If you feel it should be FAQed, please post the ques/tion in an appropriate rules forum. Posting here won't get it FAQed at all.

Sorry! Completely missed the off-topic tag the first time I loaded this thread.

Alternate question: Who the better duelist? Inigo Montoya or Will Turner?


I feel like this should be sent to be FAQ'd or errata'd.

What's the intended function of Monk/Brawler's Dwarf Favored Class Bonus:

"Reduce the Hardness of any object made of clay, stone, or metal by 1 whenever the object is struck by the monk's unarmed strike (minimum of 0)."?

Does this
- Reduce the hardness for the unarmed strike but not other things?
- Permanently/Instantly reduce the Hardness once?
- Permanently/Instantly reduce the Hardness each time an object is stuck?
- Something else?

If the damage is permanent/instant, is it reversible?


Technically you could, since SoH doesn't specify how hidden objects are, but you'd be hard pressed to find a GM that doesn't fiat it. They're there to ensure that both the rules and logic are applied.