[Gameday VIII] GM Brew: The Hao Jin Cataclysm

Game Master Wicked Brew

Map


51 to 100 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Dannicka's magic causes the wight to fall where it stands while another blast of channeled planar energy is enough to demolish the already damaged creature. It disintergrates like its fellows.

Out of combat.

The lizardfolk direct the agents to the broken zigguart to the south. The southwest corner of the structure has collapsed, revealing an interior stone door covered in runes. Several lizardfolk bodies lie nearby. The lizardfolk guides cry out, proclaiming that Oosthic sent these lizardfolk to retrieve whatever lies beyond the door.

The group apporaches the broken interior and see a door. Three sets of runes stand etched, one over the other in a near perfect line. The agents study them to find meaning.

Any agent who undersrands Aklo, Draconic, or Undercommon understands the runes. Arklore notices the runes appear to have some mention to magic and is sure read magic could also reveal their secrets.

series of red runes:
warm blood feeds the cold god

Know Religion v DC 14 or Heal v DC 20:
You know that serpentfolk often sacrificed “lesser” creatures to their cruel gods.

Series of White Runes:
pure
minds speak in silence

Know (History or Arcana) v. DC 17:
You recall that serpentfolk are masters of telepathy and view creatures lacking telepathy as beings fit only for servitude. Silence is sacred to them, and they prefer magical forms of communication.

series of green runes:
false skin emboldens the true.

Know (nature or local) v DC 14 or Bluff v DC 20:
You recall that serpentfolk are masters of disguise, even using rituals to permanently alter their appearance.

What do you do?

Dark Archive

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

Yelek points at the runes with his sword and states:"Thissss one issss not going to be of great help here. Doessss any of you know how to transsssslate thossssse?"

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

"Lucky for us some of these are in Draconic. Let me see." he says while translating each rune carefully.

"Warm blood feeds the cold god, which sounds like a sacrifice to me." he says grimly to the others after reading the red runes.

---

Knowledge (Arcane): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
"Pure minds speak in silence, the serpentfolk are masters of telepathy so do we have anyone capable of that?" he asks the group after reading the white runes.

---

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
"False skin emboldens the true, the serpentfolk also take their disguises seriously. Hmm let me think about this one." he says with the last rune.

After thinking for a moment Rook steps up to the green runes and ingests one of his extracts causing his body to shrink down to a smaller size.

Drinking my Reduce Person extract.

He then wait to see if anything occurs.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

Knowledge (religion) DC 14: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Hmm... Serpentfolk often sacrificed “lesser” creatures to their cruel gods."

Knowledge (local) DC 14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Pai's chattering trips along like a babbling brook as she thinks out loud: "...Yeah, I don't know... This is odd. 'False skin emboldens the true...' Does it have to do with shedding, like a snake skin? Or does it have to do with impostors and standing up to them? Hmm..."

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

The door is shut, right?

Danicka examines the door and runes for a while as the others talk. As she thinks, she absentmindedly waves a wand at herself and Prickles, casting mage armour on both, then stows it again. Finally, she waves her broom at the door and chants for a while, causing her eyes to change colour.

Detect magic on the door and runes. Does she learn anything else about the door and writing other than what we've already learned from the runes/clues?
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

I lack a base of knowledge that would be helpful to discern these phrases specifically to the lizard folk, but I can provide a bit of divine guidance to some of you.

He quickly executes the incantation several times, casting Guidance on Danicka, Rook, and Pai.

Rook, it looks like there’s a lower DC for nature which you met. I think you were already over. But, possibly the +1 helps Danicka’s result.


Danicka casts a sepll to examine the door. After concentrating for a while, she does in fact detect an aura of magic about the door. Radiating moderate necromatic magic.

The lizardfolk watch on as the agents try to decipher the runes.

Note, we have received an aid token. Descriptions of what it can be used for have been include on slide 2. Does anyone take any action with respect to the door?

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

Nothing past changing my form (above using the extract) with the green rune in an attempt to get it to activate.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

After standing around and pondering for a bit, Pai gets antsy and impatient. "Soooo... Anyone want to do anything? If not, I'll just open it. Arin can heal me if it's trapped, right Arin?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

I can... I'm just pondering if there's anything we can figure out to do with it first. A moderate necromancy present... is that a hint of the punishment if we don't respect their preference for silence and magical communication? No Rook, unfortunately I don't have telepathic ability. The closest I have is a simple magical Message, but that still has to be whispered...

The gnome ponders out loud what their options are, though he doesn't really know what they're supposed to do.

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

Danicka nods at Pai nervously. "I'm not alright with anyone s-s-sacrificing anything to get through the door. If you think you can open it another way, then I trust you. We're a t-team!" She thinks again for a moment, then nods with certainty. "Be careful, Pai. And good luck. We're right behind you!"

Danicka and Prickles back up out of the way, ready to help Pai if anything bad happens to her.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

"Weeelllll, I have been practicing how to handle traps and such, especially since I've been on some missions when we didn't have anyone who knew how to do that. So maybe I should see if there's a trap or something?" Pai moves in closer and begins examining the door, searching for traps, thinking: I don't know if I'm ready for something like this, though. Oh, well. No better way to learn than by doing! Learning is messy! You learn from mistakes! (The ones that don't kill you.) And all that jazz!

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Disable Device, if applicable:
Disable Device: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Shucks. That doesn't bode well.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

just in case...

An idea occurs to Arin. He concentrates and releases a burst of positive energy near the door.

Channel positive energy, harm haunt/undead: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 4) = 9

Okay, let’s see if that did anything... If the aura was a haunt it should become actively hostile or suppressed.

Cast detect magic, looking for a lack of necromancy aura

Dark Archive

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Before Pai can get a chence to try opening it Yelek silently studies the door searching for evidence of traps.


As Mhazruk changes his form before the green runes, the runes algith with a deep green glow, illuminating intesnely before fading into darknes.

Mharzuhk has deactiviated a the green runes.

The gathered lizardfolk look on hopefully as the alchemist solves the mystery. Pai does not see anything other than the runes that would enable her to bypass or disable the door. One of the lizardfolk steps up to speak to her...

"You are true freinds Pathfinders. I shall bring Oosthic. Soon the Muchmouth leader returns."

"Ah Pathfinders, thank you for your aid. Do not fear, I shall have one of strongest breach the door. Stand back. With a gesture one of the more massive lizardfolk steps forward. With great force, he bashes the door with hsi shoulder. As he does, the runes glow and spark sending necromatic arcane energy through the lizardfolk strongman. He cries out in pain but continues to force the door until it bursts open. The lizardfolk slumps to the floor, writhing in pain.

Oosthic and a few aides rushes to the downed trbe member. "Thank you brother." Oosthic rises and addresses the Pathfinders as his aides attend the stricken man. "Fear not, his sacrfiice will not be in vain. You have brought prosperity to my tribe and for this, you shallbe rewarded." Oosthic shares the bounty of the zigguart with the agents.

Success!

The tribe thanks the group as they decide on their next action...

Where to next?

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

"Well, nothing like a good loophole in a contract. Needle...come here for a moment." Rook says grabbing his familiar and holding him up to the group.

When/if he gets grim looks he explains how it works.

"Oh don't worry..." he says struggling with Needle till the large lizardfolk breaks down the doors. He lets the pterodactyl go and hands him a handful of chalk.

He laughs and exchanges his information with the tribe.

"Glad to help, Oosthic. Always willing to offer my services with alchemical creations and learn from artisans of places I visit but for now we are needed elsewhere."

I believe Pai wanted to go to the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment at Mission 3.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

Upon seeing the large serpentfolk sacrificing himself to get the door open, Pai is filled with concern. "Oohh!" Why couldn't we figure it out?! That poor guy! Her guilt and shame are clearly evident, etched across her face.

Yes, Pai wants to go to the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment.

Sovereign Court

HP:27/27 | AC:17/FF:13/T:16 (+2) | Fort: +6 Ref: 7 Will: +6 | Sense Motive: +6 Perception: +6| Init: +3 | CMD 20 CMB 5 BAB 2 Kitsune Monk 3
Flurry Staff:
[dice=Furry of Blows MW Sansetsukon]1d20+5+2[/dice] [dice=Damage]1d10+2[/dice]

Haro shrugs, "Wind blows, we follow. Temple? he points towards the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment.

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

"Oh, dear!" Danicka shrieks. She rushes over to the lizard folk to help heal him.

Does he just have hp damage? Or something else? She wants to heal him before we move on. You can just let me know what he needs and I'll mark it off (if she can) so we can move on to the Temple.


@Danicka the lizardfolk has been hit with a serious poison curse. Oosthic said he will survive, but tending to him yourself will take some time and would likely pull you out of the mission at hand. Oosthic assures you he will see to his fellow's needs.

The agents bid their farewells to the Mucmouth Tribe and head to the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment. They make the transition. They are met by three aasimar, they bow their heads in respect to Pai.

The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment, crafted of white marble, rests atop a forested hill. Three aasimars stand guard before ornate double doors that bear an image of four spheres resting inside a lotus flower. Recognizing agents of the Pathfinder Society, the aasimars open the doors and lead the way to the temple’s garden courtyard.

The garden’s plants are brown and withered. A Tian man sits at the edge of a dried-up fountain, staring forlornly at the noble turtle in its center. The man has hazel eyes and a streak of white in his hair. Several temple acolytes are busy preparing incense, meditating, and inscribing symbols on the fountain.

One of the aasimar speaks. “This is Zhuang, our leader. After you Pathfinders defeated the demon, Dakang, and purged the temple of corruption, Zhuang was determined to set us on a better path. We now aid wayward travelers in the tapestry and spread Korada’s teachings. However, Dakang’s deceptions have always plagued Zhuang, and he is on the verge of abandoning the temple. He has been sitting like this for many days, and neither speaks nor eats. Will you help us with a ritual to bring peace to his mind?”

The party readily agrees, as it is their mission, and the monks explain they have a ritual that will allow you to enter Zhuang's mind. One monk explains that once you are in the troubled Zhuang's mind, you will see the temple as he does. The obstacles you see are his visions and manifestations. She goes on to say that as you work together it is their hope you will overcome his visions and restore their leader.

The party gathers and the ritual begins. Slowly, the temple fades into a dusky version of itself...

The group finds themselves in the crypt. Six sarcophagi are spread about the room. Suddenly, dozens of skeletal figures claw at one another, trying to crawl their way out of overflowing sarcophagi!

What do you do? Try to beat them back (make a melee attack attempt) or close the lids! (initiative check). Each player may make one roll or cast a spell that applies to possibly provide a bonus to the highest roll. Pai or any other player who has played through the scenario The Empyreal Enlightenment may choose to attempt one of the checks untrained or re-roll a failed check.

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Rook gets ready to leap to new sarcophagi that begin to be pried open.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

Hmm, lots of undead to contend with today.

Arin releases a burst of his familiar, positive energy.

Channel positive energy: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

Back I say!

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

"Another mindscape..?" Danicka squeaks. "Oh, dear... That last time didn't go so well..."

---

With a shriek of surprise, Danicka bops a skeleton on the head with her broom!

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Magic Bludgeoning Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

"I don't know. I got lots of great ideas while in that one! I think I have almost reached a breakthrough to give me an arm up on the competition....as a matter of fact it would be pretty useful right about now." he laughs still trying to keep the lids closed.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

At the sight of all those skeletons, Pai cries out: "EEP! Close the lids! There's so many of them!" It would take forever to kill them all. Well, they're already dead, but...whatever. It'd take forever and they'd get too close to me. Blast from the back! That's my thing! Don't get hurt! (I hope!) Her nervous chattering is thankfully confined to her own mind for the time being.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Re-roll Initiative (Aiding Mhazruk?): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Sovereign Court

HP:27/27 | AC:17/FF:13/T:16 (+2) | Fort: +6 Ref: 7 Will: +6 | Sense Motive: +6 Perception: +6| Init: +3 | CMD 20 CMB 5 BAB 2 Kitsune Monk 3
Flurry Staff:
[dice=Furry of Blows MW Sansetsukon]1d20+5+2[/dice] [dice=Damage]1d10+2[/dice]

Haro moves to close the lid, or assist in it.

Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

He is too slow and the skeletons take over the world.


Mhazruk, moving like a half orc possessed, slams the lids of the sarcophagi down, stemming the flow of skeletal corpses from escaping their tombs.

To save time, I am going to list the rest of the challenges of the temple. Each player makes an appropriate check then the group moves on to the next challenge.

The agents move to the library.Two young acolytes sit facing each other on the floor. They read aloud from unholy texts, and tears of blood drip onto the pages from their unblinking eyes. You must aid the monks!

Find a Holy Text perception or Speak the words of Korada Know (Religion)

Meditation Room:
Meditation Room (C3): Several monks perform grotesque contortions and throw glass spheres to one another while reciting the mantra, “bind my soul to Sifkesh.” Countless worms carpet the floor and walls.

Spin the Sacred Spheres Sleight of Hand
Practice Proper Techniques Acrobatics check

The Chapel:

A bloated corpse stands upon a balcony at the front of this vaulted chapel, preaching heresy and ugly truths to a crowd of rapt worshipers.

Drown Him Out Perform (oratory or sing)
Distract the Congregation: Bluff

Refectory:
A table covered in scorched dirt and vermin sits at the center of this dining room. Two dozen acolytes choke and gag as they feast on the roiling mess.

Flip the Table combat maneuver
Treat the Sick Heal

Kitchen:
A halfling sits in the center of this room, weeping in anguish. He waves his fingerless left hand and screams, “Korada has forsaken us! Abandon all hope!”

Instill Hope Will Save
Talk Him Down Diplomacy

Good Luck!

Sovereign Court

HP:27/27 | AC:17/FF:13/T:16 (+2) | Fort: +6 Ref: 7 Will: +6 | Sense Motive: +6 Perception: +6| Init: +3 | CMD 20 CMB 5 BAB 2 Kitsune Monk 3
Flurry Staff:
[dice=Furry of Blows MW Sansetsukon]1d20+5+2[/dice] [dice=Damage]1d10+2[/dice]

Knowing the art of Meditation very well, Haro goes to that room and starts to meditate.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26


Just to clarify, the rooms need to be done in order as I have posted them. Each player makes one room for each of the rooms. So, at the end, each player will have made 6 rolls or have taken appropriate spell action in an attempt to aid in lieu of a roll. The group moves on to each room regardless of the results of the checks. I hope this clarifies.

Sovereign Court

HP:27/27 | AC:17/FF:13/T:16 (+2) | Fort: +6 Ref: 7 Will: +6 | Sense Motive: +6 Perception: +6| Init: +3 | CMD 20 CMB 5 BAB 2 Kitsune Monk 3
Flurry Staff:
[dice=Furry of Blows MW Sansetsukon]1d20+5+2[/dice] [dice=Damage]1d10+2[/dice]

So, one roll per room, + the perception roll? What is the 6th roll?

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Esucu me, Teach me this. Haro says, trying to distract the Congregation.
Room 2: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

Seeing the vermin, Haro quickly acts to flip the table.
CMB: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Haro tries to ignore the effects.
Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

Entering the Library next, Pai is quite disturbed by the blood-tears of the acolytes. Noting the unholy texts the are reading, she frantically scans the shelves to give them something more uplifting to read instead.

Library (Perception): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

In the Meditation Room, she is taken aback by the weird positions the monks are taking. "No no no! That's not right. Here, look! This is how you're supposed to do it." She proceeds to demonstrate the proper forms.

Meditation Room (Acrobatics): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Moving along to the Chapel, the words of the bloated corpse are So. Very. Wrong! Pai begins to shout over him as best she can. "That corpse is evil! You shouldn't listen to him! Lalalalalalalala!"

Chapel (Perform Oratory): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

The group enters the Refectory next. Pai recognizes the food on the table: it now looks exactly how it tasted when she ate it last time she was here. With a spurt of disgust-fueled rage, she trots her little body over there and tries to tip the offensive "food" onto the floor. "That's not food! Don't eat that trash!"

Refectory (Combat Maneuver): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Concern floods across Pai's face. "No, of course not! Korada would never abandon you."

Kitchen (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

Nice set of rolls there, Pai. Pretty sure I'm not going to beat that :)

Interesting. I've encountered some bad books, but none that made me do that.

He scans the shelves for some alternatives.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 Yeah, take any of these books other than the one you're bleeding on...

Moving onto the meditation room, he sees monks doing what does not look like yoga.

Uh... that looks like it hurts. Maybe try something simpler, like...

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

In the chapel Arin tries purposely speaking loudly in his tongues, which he normally does as forced per his curse, to see if he can break the rapt attention of the worshippers.

bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

In the refectory, Arin and Pai see the familiar scene from the last time they were here. Hey, folks, we've been over this before! This illusory food is not good! Please stop. Come see me for a little treatment.

heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Finally, in the kitchen Arin tries to utilize his calm demeanor to innocently ask the wailing man what ails him. Since he's pretty good at remaining emotion-neutral, he's able to get the halfling to grow calmer as he answers Arin's questions, slowly regaining a healthier perspective.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"This place is creepier than the last one we were in. Let us see if we can find a book that won't bore them to tears...of blood." Rook uncomfortably laughs searching for a book. Once that is handled he moves on with the others.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

"Yes, creepy. Bugs are not my forte," he says further bothered by everything going on but focusing on working with the instruments in the room.

Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Seeing the malformed preacher Rook quickly stepped in to pull the attention away to himself.

"Have you heard of a snake-oil salesman? This thing is worse...some demon-oil salesman...and I know a thing about selling false remedies!" he calls out.

Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

"Charging the society extra for this one. Come here you demon addled fools." Rook says grabbing acolytes and forcing them to heave up the contaminated meat.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

"To be honest with you I don't know who or what Korada is but I can tell you that we are real...and here. Put down that knife!"

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

LIBRARY

Danicka looks at the two acolytes, and gasps in horror. "Oh, no! You poor things... Don't read that!" She quickly scans the shelves. "Take... this! Oh, this is a much better book. Rabbit Climbs the Rainbow! It's a classic!"

Perception: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 2 = 29

----

MEDITATION ROOM

Danicka shrieks as the monk toss glass orbs at each other, dodging out of the way and holding her broom up to protect herself. "Stop! Eeeek! Ouch! PLEASE!" Her panicked flailing is oddly intriguing. "Sifkesh can... can... CAN STUFF IT!" Danicka's eyes widen and she clamps a hand over her mouth at her own audacity. Deciding that Sifkesh can, indeed, stuff it, she stomps on a mindscape worm for emphasis. "Bind your souls to kindness," she instructs the monks. "Please..?"

Acrobatics (inspiration): 1d20 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (12) + 1 + (2) = 15

---

CHAPEL

Danicka gags at the sight of the bloated corpse preaching foul lies. "Uhhh..."

Don't vomit... Don't vomit... DONT'T VOMIT!

Gathering her mental fortitude, Danicka tries to distract the crowds by attempting her one of her greatest fears... public speaking.

Perform oratory (inspiration): 1d20 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 1 + (1) = 8

---

REFECTORY

Danicka shrieks again, confirming her suspicions that all mindscapes are horrible places! "Don't eat THAT!"

She continues to repeat what is becoming her new mantra: Don't vomit, don't vomit, don't vomit...

She hurries over to the sick and tries to help them.

Heal (free inspiration): 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (20) + 7 + (5) = 32

---

KITCHEN

Danicka looks sadly at the halfling, wraps him up in a hug, and strokes his head. "Shhh, shhh, shhh... You're not alone. Everything will be alright..."

Will Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


With skill and expertise, the agents are able to pull their talents and maneuver the troubled mind of Zhuang. The walls of the shadowy temple lose focus and fade. The agents' minds area complete blur for a moment until the light hits their eyes and they realize they are once again in the temple garden.

Zhhuang's eyes flutter and open as he regains consciousness. The man rubs his head, suffering from a certain headache, but not damaged. He quickly gathers his pupils.

"Pathfinders, I cannot express my gratitude. Thank you." He bows deeply to each in turn, when he gets to Pai, he straightens "Thank you Pai, you truly are a gift from Korada's open hand." The old monk smiles. "I pledge the service of our temple to your cause. The least I can do for the service you once again have provided."

The agents leave satisfied they have provided aid to the temple.

You have unlocked the Burst of Healing option for the aid token. Where to next?

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
Resources:
| Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

"Then I believe we have more allies to aid? The ratfolk are at risk of a complete cave-in." Rook suggests.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

It sounds like we should head there then. That's the sort of hazard that won't wait around for us. Arin concurs.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

"Yup! Sounds good to me!" Pai chirps.

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

"Hurry!"

Dark Archive

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

Back!

Yelek hisses at the mention of ratmen but aside from his tongue flickering in and out of his mouth he voices no opposition to Mhazruk Kruhl's suggestion.


Bidding farewell to the temple monks, the party once again navigates the tapestry. They materialize in front of the famed round mountain. They quickly navigate the mountain roads to meet with the resident tribe of ratfolk. The agents enter the tunnels of the mountain, finally reaching the meeting point for the Society ratfolk contact.

The floor of the narrow tunnel trembles. Pebbles clatter across the ground, and a low rumbling sound echoes from the distance. A group of ratfolk scouts stagger into the tunnel. One of them cries out, “I hope that was the last of it! Hey, you, Pathfinders! Watch your step. Round Mountain is rolling! If you want to get to the Pagoda, we’ll need to secure safe passage through this tumbling cavern!”

Much to the agents' surprise the mountain is indeed moving! The party quickly realizes they will need to secure safe passage though this suddenly tumbling cavern for their repair team.

You must secure passage for the repair team by succeeding at three of the following five checks. You may attempt the checks in any order. Each player can participate in each check once, whether by rolling the check independently or aiding another who is rolling the check. Also, please let me know if your character has participated in a scenario involving the ratfolk of Round Mountain.

  • Find and point out the best handholds Perception or
    Survival
  • Construct makeshift scaffolds of wood, ropes, or debris Craft (carpentry or ships) or Knowledge (dungeoneering
    or engineering)
  • Find and traverse the quickest route Acrobatics, Climb, or Escape Artist)
  • Encourage the ratfolk to help Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), or Perform
  • Discern a pattern in the mountain’s rotations Intelligence or Wisdom

    Good Luck!

  • Liberty's Edge

    Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

    Pai has not had any experience with these ratfolk.

    Find and point out the best handholds: Pai scans the area, keeping her eyes peeled for handholds.
    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
    "Oh! Here, guys! Grab on there, and over here..."

    Construct makeshift scaffolds of wood, ropes, or debris: Generally clueless about this sort of thing, Pai has managed to pick up some basic understanding during her time with the Pathfinder Society.
    Aid Knowledge (dungeoneering) untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 12

    Find and traverse the quickest route: "Oooh! Hey! Over here--Whoooa!-- ...Whew! That was close! All right, moving on..."
    Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

    Encourage the ratfolk to help: Once again, Pai calls upon her connection to elemental electricity. Holding out her arms, she shouts in the deepest voice she can muster as crackling lightening swirls around her: "Come on, you lily livers! If you don't help, your home will be destroyed! Get yourselves moving! NOW!" Oh, it's so fun when I get to do that!
    Intimidate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

    Discern a pattern in the mountain’s rotations: Hmm, gosh! Is this totally random or is there a pattern to this?
    Aid Wisdom: 1d20 ⇒ 7
    Ugh. Totally random. Go figure.

    Liberty's Edge

    Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

    The gnomes seem to have particular trouble keeping their footing as the rumbling continues...

    Perception, find and point out the best handholds, guidance: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 = 21 Arin joins in with Pai and quickly finds a number of suitable hand holds.

    Craft, construct makeshift scaffolds of wood, ropes, or debris, guidance, AID: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12 Arin AIDS the fellow agent who seems best equipped at construction.

    Acrobatics, find and traverse the quickest route, guidance: 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 2 + 1 = 23 Arin slows down to look around, avoiding rushing and wasting time with bad missteps.

    Diplomacy, encourage the ratfolk to help, guidance: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 1 = 23 The gnomes calming presence is able to coax the ratfolk to help the Pathfinders in their efforts.

    Wisdom, discern a pattern in the mountain’s rotations, guidance: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 + 1 = 13 Arin is not sure if there is any discernible greater aim to the mountains movements.

    Dark Archive

    Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

    Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

    "Look! Over there!"

    Intimidation check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

    "You ratsss have better try helping usss now or I might decide to dine on your carcasssssessss..."


    Waiting on Marzuhk, Danicka and Haro.

    Silver Crusade

    Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 19* (T 11, FF 18*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 1/3, W1st: 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/5, Inspiration 1/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 0/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour, Shield, Fire Res 10

    Apologies for the delay.

    Danicka helps everyone find the best handholds...
    Survival (free inspiration): 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (14) + 8 + (4) = 26

    Create makeshift scaffolding -- luckily she saw it in a book once!
    Knowledge Dungeoneering (untrained, to AID): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

    Find and traverse the quickest route...
    Acrobatics: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

    and Discern a panther in the mountains rotations... (She'll use her tireless logic ability to roll this twice and keep the best result).
    Intelligence: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
    Intelligence: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

    The Exchange

    CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Bull's Strength/3 Mins
    Resources:
    | Bombs: 6/9 | Extracts: (1st): 2/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 0/2

  • Find and point out the best handholds.
    Rook (Aid: Perception): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

  • Construct makeshift scaffolds of wood, ropes, or debris.
    Needle (Aid: Knowledge: Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

  • Find and traverse the quickest route Acrobatics, Climb, or Escape Artist)
    Rook (Aid: Acrobatics): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

  • Encourage the ratfolk to help.
    Rook (Diplomacy): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

  • Discern a pattern in the mountain’s rotations.
    Rook (Intelligence): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


  • Working in fevered tandem, the crack Pathfinder agents secure passage for the ratfolk repair team. Encouraged by the agents, the team is quick to aid in the effort. Pai directs the team on the rout, while Arin points out desperately needed hand holds. Finally, Mhazruk is able to figure out the pattern in the mountain's rotation allowing the repair team to do its work.

    The ratfolk lead the agents deeper into Round Mountain, into a cavern with a chasm and bridge at the center. One of the ratfolk turns as they delve deeper into the mountain "It’s not too much farther, but be careful! All the rumblins have shaken loose some nasty critters!"

    The agents find themselves in a cavern, the weary ratfolk leading them northward. They direct the agents to follow the cavern north and east.

    Map updated, go ahead and take a round of movement.

    Liberty's Edge

    Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Non-lethal dmg: 0 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 0/7 per day | Active conditions: none

    Pai skitters along with the group, keeping her eyes peeled for those "nasty critters".

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

    Liberty's Edge

    Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 21*, t 15*, ff 19* | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 1/8; 2nd 1/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 1/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 0/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: ShOfFa

    Arin follows along behind Pai, assuming something is going to jump out at any moment.

    Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

    51 to 100 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [Gameday VIII] GM Brew: The Hao Jin Cataclysm All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.