[Gameday VIII] GM Brew: The Hao Jin Cataclysm

Game Master Wicked Brew

Map


51 to 64 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Dannicka's magic causes the wight to fall where it stands while another blast of channeled planar energy is enough to demolish the already damaged creature. It disintergrates like its fellows.

Out of combat.

The lizardfolk direct the agents to the broken zigguart to the south. The southwest corner of the structure has collapsed, revealing an interior stone door covered in runes. Several lizardfolk bodies lie nearby. The lizardfolk guides cry out, proclaiming that Oosthic sent these lizardfolk to retrieve whatever lies beyond the door.

The group apporaches the broken interior and see a door. Three sets of runes stand etched, one over the other in a near perfect line. The agents study them to find meaning.

Any agent who undersrands Aklo, Draconic, or Undercommon understands the runes. Arklore notices the runes appear to have some mention to magic and is sure read magic could also reveal their secrets.

series of red runes:
warm blood feeds the cold god

Know Religion v DC 14 or Heal v DC 20:
You know that serpentfolk often sacrificed “lesser” creatures to their cruel gods.

Series of White Runes:
pure
minds speak in silence

Know (History or Arcana) v. DC 17:
You recall that serpentfolk are masters of telepathy and view creatures lacking telepathy as beings fit only for servitude. Silence is sacred to them, and they prefer magical forms of communication.

series of green runes:
false skin emboldens the true.

Know (nature or local) v DC 14 or Bluff v DC 20:
You recall that serpentfolk are masters of disguise, even using rituals to permanently alter their appearance.

What do you do?

Dark Archive

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

Yelek points at the runes with his sword and states:"Thissss one issss not going to be of great help here. Doessss any of you know how to transsssslate thossssse?"

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mutagen (+4 Dex/-2 Wis/+2 AC)
Resources:
| Bombs: 8/9 | Extracts: (1st): 4/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 2/2

"Lucky for us some of these are in Draconic. Let me see." he says while translating each rune carefully.

"Warm blood feeds the cold god, which sounds like a sacrifice to me." he says grimly to the others after reading the red runes.

---

Knowledge (Arcane): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
"Pure minds speak in silence, the serpentfolk are masters of telepathy so do we have anyone capable of that?" he asks the group after reading the white runes.

---

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
"False skin emboldens the true, the serpentfolk also take their disguises seriously. Hmm let me think about this one." he says with the last rune.

After thinking for a moment Rook steps up to the green runes and ingests one of his extracts causing his body to shrink down to a smaller size.

Drinking my Reduce Person extract.

He then wait to see if anything occurs.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Temp HP: 5/5 | Non-lethal dmg: 1 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 1/7 per day | Active conditions: Enveloping Winds (20% miss chance for ranged weapons)

Knowledge (religion) DC 14: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Hmm... Serpentfolk often sacrificed “lesser” creatures to their cruel gods."

Knowledge (local) DC 14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Pai's chattering trips along like a babbling brook as she thinks out loud: "...Yeah, I don't know... This is odd. 'False skin emboldens the true...' Does it have to do with shedding, like a snake skin? Or does it have to do with impostors and standing up to them? Hmm..."

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 15* (T 11, FF 14*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 2/3, W1st: 3/3 | Arcane Reservoir 5/5, Inspiration 3/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 1/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour

The door is shut, right?

Danicka examines the door and runes for a while as the others talk. As she thinks, she absentmindedly waves a wand at herself and Prickles, casting mage armour on both, then stows it again. Finally, she waves her broom at the door and chants for a while, causing her eyes to change colour.

Detect magic on the door and runes. Does she learn anything else about the door and writing other than what we've already learned from the runes/clues?
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 19, t 13, ff 17 | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 4/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 3/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 4/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: None

I lack a base of knowledge that would be helpful to discern these phrases specifically to the lizard folk, but I can provide a bit of divine guidance to some of you.

He quickly executes the incantation several times, casting Guidance on Danicka, Rook, and Pai.

Rook, it looks like there’s a lower DC for nature which you met. I think you were already over. But, possibly the +1 helps Danicka’s result.


Danicka casts a sepll to examine the door. After concentrating for a while, she does in fact detect an aura of magic about the door. Radiating moderate necromatic magic.

The lizardfolk watch on as the agents try to decipher the runes.

Note, we have received an aid token. Descriptions of what it can be used for have been include on slide 2. Does anyone take any action with respect to the door?

The Exchange

CN Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Grenadier) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 | CMB: 3, CMD: 16 | F:4 R:7 W:1 | Init: 7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Mutagen (+4 Dex/-2 Wis/+2 AC)
Resources:
| Bombs: 8/9 | Extracts: (1st): 4/5 | Extracts: (2nd): 2/2

Nothing past changing my form (above using the extract) with the green rune in an attempt to get it to activate.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Temp HP: 5/5 | Non-lethal dmg: 1 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 1/7 per day | Active conditions: Enveloping Winds (20% miss chance for ranged weapons)

After standing around and pondering for a bit, Pai gets antsy and impatient. "Soooo... Anyone want to do anything? If not, I'll just open it. Arin can heal me if it's trapped, right Arin?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 19, t 13, ff 17 | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 4/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 3/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 4/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: None

I can... I'm just pondering if there's anything we can figure out to do with it first. A moderate necromancy present... is that a hint of the punishment if we don't respect their preference for silence and magical communication? No Rook, unfortunately I don't have telepathic ability. The closest I have is a simple magical Message, but that still has to be whispered...

The gnome ponders out loud what their options are, though he doesn't really know what they're supposed to do.

Silver Crusade

Female Druid (wild whisperer) 2, Wizard (exploiter wizard) 2 | HP: 20/20, Temp HP: 0/0 | AC 15* (T 11, FF 14*) | CMB: +2 CMD: 13 | F:+3* R:+1 W:+8 | Init +1 | Perc +7 (+2 beside Prickles), SM +3*, Diplomacy +1, WE +2 | Speed 30 ft. | Spells: D1st: 2/3, W1st: 3/3 | Arcane Reservoir 5/5, Inspiration 3/5, Miracle Worker 1/1, Pearl of Power 1/1, Tireless Logic 1/1, Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armour

Danicka nods at Pai nervously. "I'm not alright with anyone s-s-sacrificing anything to get through the door. If you think you can open it another way, then I trust you. We're a t-team!" She thinks again for a moment, then nods with certainty. "Be careful, Pai. And good luck. We're right behind you!"

Danicka and Prickles back up out of the way, ready to help Pai if anything bad happens to her.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Gnome Kineticist 4 | HP 43/43 | Temp HP: 5/5 | Non-lethal dmg: 1 | AC 18*, T 14*, FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 13 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +1* | Init +5 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +0 | Speed 20ft | Burn: 1/7 per day | Active conditions: Enveloping Winds (20% miss chance for ranged weapons)

"Weeelllll, I have been practicing how to handle traps and such, especially since I've been on some missions when we didn't have anyone who knew how to do that. So maybe I should see if there's a trap or something?" Pai moves in closer and begins examining the door, searching for traps, thinking: I don't know if I'm ready for something like this, though. Oh, well. No better way to learn than by doing! Learning is messy! You learn from mistakes! (The ones that don't kill you.) And all that jazz!

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Disable Device, if applicable:
Disable Device: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Shucks. That doesn't bode well.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 19, t 13, ff 17 | CMB 1, CMD 13 | F+2 R+3 W+5 | Init+2 | Low-light vision | Perc+7, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 4/4 | Channel Positive Energy: 3/6 | Energy Body (rounds): 4/4 | Delay Affliction: 1/1 | Eternal Hope: 1/1 | SLAs: arcane mark 1/1, comprehend languages 1/1, message 1/1, read magic 1/1 | Active conditions: None

just in case...

An idea occurs to Arin. He concentrates and releases a burst of positive energy near the door.

Channel positive energy, harm haunt/undead: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 4) = 9

Okay, let’s see if that did anything... If the aura was a haunt it should become actively hostile or suppressed.

Cast detect magic, looking for a lack of necromancy aura

Dark Archive

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 04 HP 40/40 - AC: 17 /T: 12 /FF: 16 - Perception +10 - F: +8 / R: +4 /W: +4 - CMB +8 - CMD +19 - Speed 40 - Init. +3 - Bloodrage Rounds 12/12

Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Before Pai can get a chence to try opening it Yelek silently studies the door searching for evidence of traps.

51 to 64 of 64 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [Gameday VIII] GM Brew: The Hao Jin Cataclysm All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.