Outpost II: Dungeon Master S's "Debt to the Quah" [Classic] (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Marsh

Handouts | Tactical Map
Scavenger's Stone charges: 27/50

Quickpost:

Initiative:
[dice=Enemy]d20[/dice]
[dice=Alexandre]d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Bulgulp]d20+13[/dice]
[dice=Eddard]d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Gbagbe]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Victor]d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Zyneste]d20+6[/dice]


1 to 50 of 293 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Dot here!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

Howdy DM S! Have to update this alias for play.

The Exchange

Male ratfolk Rog4 (eldritch scoundrel) | hp 31/31 | Init +3 | AC 18/14, T 14, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F +3 R +7 (evasion) W +2 | Prcptn +7 (+9 traps, trap spotter) |

Greetings and salutations, see? Yeah! Yeah!

Sovereign Court

Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

Good day, good sirs. I see I'm keeping with the theme.

Silver Crusade

Greavings and Salavations! dotted and signed up in the sheet. Playing with lvl 6 Grippli Mesmerist/Ninja/Wizard

Grand Lodge

Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

I see I'm the token human here! Yay for racial diversity within PFS!

Liberty's Edge

active:
Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

Keen and ready to play!


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin paces in front of a small table in this meeting room in the Grand Lodge. In front of him on the table is a packet of parchments.

“Pathfinders, a rather concerning development has come to light. I have received a summons requesting Pathfinder presence at a meeting of the Shoanti quahs. The impetus for this request is troubling, to say the least."

“About one year ago, a Pathfinder named Lumketul Simset returned to the Grand Lodge with notes on a rather exciting discovery: a Thassilonian ruin, tucked in a remote area in the Iron Peaks in Varisia. He also returned with several artifacts, which we took in for further study. Lumketul’s notes were the basis of a tale published in the Pathfinder Chronicles shortly thereafter, which has become rather popular among those endeavoring to uncover new Thassilonian discoveries."

“However, I recently received a message from Cousin to All, an ally from the Shriikirri-Quah. Shadde-Quah traders came across a copy of the Pathfinder Chronicles. Upon reading Lumketul’s entry, they realized that he was speaking not of a Thassilonian
ruin, but of a sacred Shoanti burial site known as the Muschkal Sepulcher. Shadde-Quah leadership contacted the Skoan-Quah, which sent out their boneslayers to confirm the reports. Turns out—unfortunately for all parties—Lumketul did in fact damage and plunder the sepulcher.”
Ambrus rubs his temples with one hand, then continues.

“Our relations with the quahs have already been somewhat strained, although friendlier than their other connections with outsiders.
Fortunately for us, we have some history of goodwill with the Shoanti, so Cousin to All was able to convince the other quahs to send representatives to hear our side of the story. Unfortunately for us, our side of the story is still bad. Lumketul showed no regard or respect in his blind pursuit of discovery, and frankly, the Society doesn’t have much grounds to deserve forgiveness. The Muschkal Sepulcher is an important location for all the quahs, and Lumketul’s disregard has cast the Society as a whole in a bad light. We’ve tried contacting Lumketul, but he has cut contact with the Society, and no one in the Society has heard from him in over a year. This is where you come in. I would like for all of you to travel to the meeting of the councilmembers and represent the Society. I believe excuses will not be received well; rather, please petition the council with utmost earnestness and sincerity.”

Ambrus pushes the packet of parchments across the table. “I’ve had Lumketul’s notes on his expedition dug up in the hopes they’d be of some use. I’ve also included a copy of his Chronicle publication, although his embellishments and obfuscation of truth may have rendered it useless; nevertheless, maybe you’ll glean some helpful information from it.” Ambrus then reaches down beside him and pulls up a large satchel and an egg-shaped rock that emits a warm, red glow.

The bag contains the items Lumketul plundered from the burial site. At the very least, we must return the items to the Shoanti, and I request you try to convince the council to allow you to restore the sepulcher to its proper state. As for the stone, if you touch it to a broken object, it will gradually repair it. It won’t last forever, but it should have enough magic left in it for this mission.” The venture-captain pauses for emphasis. “It’s important to the Society to develop further relations with the quahs, so this could be an opportunity to show that we can be trusted.”

He gives a heavy sigh, "I suppose you might have some questions before you head out. Oh, here's the map of the Sepulcher."

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

As Ambrus Valsin speaks, a small, peculiar figure tracks the venture-captain’s pacing with bulbous yellow eyes. He is a tiny, green and yellow-skinned frog, with orange feet and hands and spots of reds and blues scattered across his skin. Several strands of cheap, colorful glass beads hang from his scrawny neck and a riotously colored headband is tied around his head. He is unarmored, and unarmed but for a small crossbow hung on his back, and a bundle of bolts that appear to still have the original string around them from the fletcher's shop.

”Pathfinders!” he says excitedly when Valsin’s speech is complete. ”We’re to work with the Pathfinders? How exciting! I recently…oh, wait.” His speech tails off, and he continues in a quieter tone, as if speaking to himself, We are Pathfinders, all of us, you and them and him! You should get one of those things that they wear, that shows that they’re Pathfinders, to help you remember…what are they called again?” His protruding eyes flick upward at Valsin, then around the room as he recalls the others are still present, and can probably hear him quite clearly.

”Um, right. Did I introduce myself? I am…” he says, pausing a moment. The pause is long enough at first that it seems as if he might have somehow forgotten his own name, then the pause grows longer still, suggesting perhaps he's forgotten he's in a conversation or perhaps that such a thing as speech ever existed. His large, yellow eyes drift distantly for a long moment before he snaps back as if nothing has happened. "Gbagbe!" he finally continues, the name sounding as if he's swallowing a large bug as he speaks. ”That’s it, Gbagbe! I’m a Pathfinder!”

He settles back in his seat, wearing a look of contentment, as if he’s completed his business here and is quite pleased with how smoothly it’s gone. He nods a greeting at Zyneste and Eddard, smiles broadly at Alexandre and then looks quite startled when he spots Bulgulp. ”Well, hello! Again, I get to work with another grippli! That hasn’t happened since…well, when I did that thing for that other venture-whoozit in…I forget where we were…”

With a shrug, he lets his eyes wander a bit, and they eventually settle on the various documents and items that the venture-captain has placed on the table. ”Oh, right, a mission! What was it again? We’re to find a Thassilonian ruin?” He quickly scans the documents, scratches his head with a long, slender finger tipped with a suction-cup like pad, and says, ”Oh, no, that’s not it. We need to…apologize? That’s an interesting assignment, never had to do that before, at least not for the whole Society.”

Finally directing his rambling speech at Ambrus Valsin, Gbagbe clears his throat and says, ”Questions, yes! How do we show the quahs we are worthy of their trust? Use the stone to fix things that Lumpkitten…er, Limekettle…Lumketul, broke? Do you know what any of the creatures in his notes are? They sound fearsome indeed!”

Any knowledge checks we might apply to identify the vaguely-described monsters in Lumketul’s notes? Or in general to suss things about what lies ahead?

Will also do a quick detect magic scan of the items in the bag, to see if the notes are correct about what might be magical.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc DEAD

A tall, heavily-muscled half-orc, dressed in full plate, but with no obvious weapons, gets to his feet, removing his helm. As he does so, it becomes painfully obvious that his flesh is crisscrossed with numerous crudely-rendered tattoos, created by kneading ash into freshly-carved wounds.

"It is unsurprising that he decided to talk-up his own importance. Ephemeral motes of sentient dust often seek to draw more attention to themselves than they deserve. What they do not understand is that in time, their so-called achievements will be forgotten. Far better to not strive at all, and simply accept that individuals do not matter."

He then pauses thoughtfully.

"However, societies endure, even if their components do not, and what he did was inexcusable. It makes sense that the Quahs are angry. I am aware that we are not expecting this to be a battle, but I find that it is best to be prepared for the worst... what can you tell us about the members of the Council?"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Indeed, some of you already know about the Shoanti. Knowledge (Local):

DC 15:

The fierce Shoanti are spread throughout the Storval Plateau in northern Varisia, where they eke out a living in harsh, inhospitable conditions.

DC 20:
The Shoanti formerly inhabited much of southern Varisia, until they were forced northward into the Storval Plateau after bloody conflicts with Chelaxian colonists. This violent history has led to many Shoanti being mistrustful of outsiders.

DC 25:
Despite seeming xenophobic, Shoanti are not completely closed off. Many outsiders have been known to join their ranks, but only after a history of demonstrating loyalty to their clan and dedication to its principles.

Gbagbe doesn't really get a good feel for the specific foes in the words. He scans the bag, and immediately discerns that the bag itself is magical Spellcraft DC 24 to Identify. The glowing egg-shaped rock is also obviously magical Spellcraft DC 16 to identify.

To Victor the Venture-Captain hands a list. "Here. Look these over. We've done a little bit of recon on them, so you're not going in blind. I know how frustrating that can be."

Grand Lodge

Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

Zyneste, a young woman perhaps in her mid twenties, remains largely quiet during the briefing, speaking only to greet her fellow companions in a calm, quiet voice. While her complexion and remnants of an accent suggest she is likely from Andoran or somewhere thereabouts, she is dressed in simple robes of Tian appearance and possesses an understated and natural beauty. Her long, brown hair is pulled back from her face and pinned neatly back with a delicate pin in the shape of a lotus. The only weapon she appears to carry is an old but very finely crafted bow strung to her back...and of course a full quiver of arrows.

"It is a pleasant change to be seeking to restore order rather than upset the status quo...I don't recall the name but I feel like I've travelled with more than one Lumketul in my time with the Society.." The hint of a shy smile cracks on her face.

The Exchange

Male ratfolk Rog4 (eldritch scoundrel) | hp 31/31 | Init +3 | AC 18/14, T 14, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F +3 R +7 (evasion) W +2 | Prcptn +7 (+9 traps, trap spotter) |

Eddard G. Rodenton, at your service, squeaks a cloaked ratfolk in response to . I solve problems. And it looks like I'm in the right place, cos this is some kind of problem.

Kn (local): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

So the Shoanti are spread throughout the Storval Plateau in northern Varisia, where they eke out a living in harsh, inhospitable conditions. They ain't no glamour folk, they're fierce. The Shoanti formerly inhabited much of southern Varisia, until they were forced northward into the Storval Plateau after bloody conflicts with Chelaxian colonists. This violent history has led to many Shoanti being mistrustful of outsiders. And really, who can trust a Chelaxian?

Spellcraft (bag): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Spellcraft (egg): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

The egg is beyond Eddard's ken, but the bag is definitely a Bag of Holding II.

“I have hired Jia, a local wizard, to teleport you to the Storval Stairs, whenever you are ready to depart. He’ll wait for you to complete your mission so you can return back. If you guys are ready, the Shoanti aren't known for their patience.”

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

Knowledge (local) : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Spellcraft on rock: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

As Zyneste speaks, a grin spreads wide across Gbagbe’s face, and he speaks almost before she can finish, ”Oh, good, you forget things too! I think we’ll do fine together!“ Turning to Eddard, says, ”Nice to meet you, Eddard. I used to know a lot about the Shoanti, I think, but I forgot most of it, but they sound...interesting. On the other hand, I’m pretty sure I know what this rock is.“

Hopping down from his chair, he says to Valsin, ”I’m ready to go!“


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Gbagbe has never seen anything like this stone, but it's not a hard bit of magic to figure out; it's a Scavenger's Stone

Sovereign Court

Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Curses, nada here.

Alexandre calmly sits and listens to the briefing, looking rather concerned about the situation. He's a lean man, with deep reddish-orange hair. He wears simple, but very well made travelers clothes, with similar boots on his feet, and a rapier with a very fancy-looking basket hilt. "Yes, after the last mission that I did, it would be utterly hypocritical for me to not want to fix this," he says slowly, as if he's dwelling on the problem before the group more then the immediate surroundings. He scans through the documentation on the table, including the list of Shaonti elders. "So fix this. That's doable."

After a moment's thought, he adds. "I've been on enough missions that odd coincidences happen regularly. As such, going on a off chance that it happens, If we were to run into Mr. Simset on this mission, What should we do? Bring him in? Turn him into the Shaonti? Heaven forbid, end him?"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

“If you mean why we don’t know where he went a year ago, well, sometimes, agents decide to leave the Pathfinder Society for a variety of reasons. They may tire of the work, they might decide to lay down roots, or they might have family matters to attend to. The Society doesn’t go nosing around and interfering in the lives of agents who make that choice—though later we may make an exception in Lumketul’s case, given these developments. If you mean why we don’t know where he is now, we tried using divination magic to track him down. All we learned is that he’s on a boat somewhere, sailing on the open sea.”

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

As Gbagbe studies the egg-shaped rock, he absent-mindedly extends his long, narrow tongue and licks at his shoulder and upper arm. As the psychotropic compounds in his skin react with his saliva, his eyes seem to swirl with a rainbow of colors for a moment. He takes a deep breath and says in a distant voice, "Oh, wooooow. This is a Scavenger's Stone! It'll let us fix all kinds of broken stuff." He pauses again, for a brief eternity, then adds, "That's cool."

Sovereign Court

Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

"Not quite what I was asking, but if he's at sea, and we're going into the mountains, then my question is moot anyway." Alexandre says nonchalantly, before returning to a more serious tone. "Is there anything that you can tell us about the Quahs in question?"

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

"Plus, what are the chances we'd run into the guy on this mission, if he hasn't been heard from in a year?" Gbagbe asks Alexandre. "That's so unlikely, it'll never happen!"

;)


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

"I HIGHLY doubt you'll run into him. As for the Quahs themselves, it's not my area of expertise. I have little more than what's on the document. Normally I'd suggest the library, but I don't want to keep them waiting."

Grand Lodge

Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

Zyneste quietly adjusts her bow and quivers and stands ready to leave. Generally happy to let others do most of the talking, she seems to drift into her own thoughts or meditations.

She shares a smile with the peculiar grippli as he talks to her, taking an instant liking to the little fellow. The frogs she'd known back in her youth on the farm were never like this. Sure they were noisy, croaking for hours from their hidden spots in the nearby stream and its surrounds but they seemed to be quite reclusive. She remembered countless hours of fun trying to track them down by sound, but rarely found one that didn't want to be found. This frog-like creature on the other hand seems genuinely outgoing and friendly.

Liberty's Edge

active:
Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

A cloaked figure sits and observes the room and its occupants, he remains quiet and only nods in greeting when addressed by Gbagbe.

Silently he moves to the table to examine documents, as he reads them he appears deep in thought.

Know Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

After a minute he shrugs and shakes his head. Then almost in a whisper, he asks the Venture Captian;

What is the weather like where we are going? I have not travelled there before, do we need to be prepared for extreme temperatures?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

"Should be fine actually, temperate. I suspect you'll be indoors most of the time."

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

Gbagbe studies Bulgulp as he moves in silence along the table, intrigued by the other grippli's secretive nature. When Bulgulp speaks in his quiet, whispering voice, Gbagbe can't help but jut his face forward and bulge his eyes a bit with interest. "Ooh, so mysterious, he is! I wonder if he can disappear before our eyes? Or if I could make a cool illoooosion to distract our foes while he sneaks into position to strike?" A couple of the other Pathfinders glance at him, and he says quietly, "Oops, said that out loud, didn't I?"

Liberty's Edge

active:
Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

A Gbagbe realises he was talking out loud, Bulgulp puts down the paper and begins to move towards the door.

As he does he vanishes from sight, there is no sound and no sign of spell casting.

6 seconds later he appears again standing beside Gbagbe his hand extended.

In a whisper he says "It's an honour to serve with another of our kind. I look forward to seeing your cool illusions"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

The Venture-captain clearly accustomed to, but not approving of, idle chatter clears his throat. "Good Luck Pathfinders. May the road be light underfoot."

Jia enters the room and casts teleport...

After a momentary, gut-twisting, journey, you find yourselves FAR to the west. Before you is a cave, and standing before hte cave are two silent guards. They speak a total of two words to you before turning and entering the cave. "Pathfinders, come."

The path leading into the earth beneath the Storval Stairs opens into an expansive cavern, chatter echoing off the striated rock walls. Smaller passages branch from the main chamber, winding deeper underground. The space is filled with people grouped in small clusters engaged in quiet discussion. Waiting near the entrance to the cavern are two Shoanti. One of them, a half-elf with a prominent facial tattoo resembling a styled hawk, approaches. “Be welcome, my cousins. I am Cousin to All. Good to see you well. It seems the others are open to hearing your case, considering that they showed up, so I believe it’s possible for a good outcome today.”

The other Shoanti, a shorter human man, approaches you. “I am Rollicks in Waves of the Shadde-Quah. Many thanks to the Society for their past help.”[/b]

PC with a Wrath of the Fleshwarped Queen Chronicle:

Rollicks in Waves gives a strong embrace with a slap on the back.
"Truly. I mean that with my heart! With that dangers cleared from the forbidden ruins, the Shadde-Quah were able to safely seal them, locking away the source of magic that corrupted bodies and minds."

He continues, “I see this situation as the actions of a rogue agent. I’ve seen what good the Society can do, so this seems like one individual’s mistake to me. You’ve got a ‘yes’ vote from me. With mine and Cousin to All’s votes, you’ll need to convince two of the others to vote for you as well—majority wins.”

Cousin to All nods. “I think it would be best to get as many of the other councilors on board as possible. Having the quahs unified is in the best interest of not only each individual clan, but to the Shoanti as a whole. Opening them up to further alliances with the Society would benefit both sides, and hopefully lead to the other Shoanti becoming more receptive to interacting with the outside world, which I believe would be a massive boon for our people. The meeting begins immediately, are you ready?”

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

Gbagbe is still standing in slack-jawed appreciation of Bulgulp’s vanishing trick when Jia begins casting his spell. ”That was amazing, with no movements or sound, you managed to…” he says as the spell takes effect. The brief, gut-wrenching journey distracts Gbagbe a moment, but he manages to get back on track, ”take a dose meant for much larger creature…er, I mean, disappear!” He glances around and says, ”Oh, look, we’re here!”

Joining his companions in following the taciturn Shoanti, Gbagbe spends as much time climbing along the walls and ceiling of the passage as walking on its floor, glad to be able to move comfortably again. He’s squatting on the floor when Rollicks in Waves approaches, however, and once again his eyes open wide and his jaw drops. ”Wait! Wait! I know you from somewhere! Have we met? I know we’ve met, right?” He rapidly taps his forehead with two fingers, as if trying to knock the contents of his little head into the right configuration, muttering, ”It was a place, where we went, and did a thing. Are you Frolics in Babes? No, that can’t be right. Bullocks of…no, not that.” Just as the Shoanti fisher sweeps him up in a hearty embrace and gives a brief description of the mission in question, it comes to him, ”Rollicks in Waves! Of course! So good to see you again!”

Once he’s been set down again by the much larger Shoanti, Gbagbe turns his somewhat scattered attention to Cousin to All, listening to her explanation of the situation and the task at hand. ”So, we’re to convince as many as possible that the Society meant no harm, in the interest of an alliance with us. Do you have reason to think any of them will be particularly supportive or…what’s the word? Not supportive? Anti-supportive…opposed! Will any of them be particularly opposed to joining with the Society?”

Gbagbe played in Fleshwarped Queen, that was a fun one!

The Exchange

Male ratfolk Rog4 (eldritch scoundrel) | hp 31/31 | Init +3 | AC 18/14, T 14, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F +3 R +7 (evasion) W +2 | Prcptn +7 (+9 traps, trap spotter) |
Gbagbe wrote:
Gbagbe played in Fleshwarped Queen, that was a fun one!

Indeed it was! Played and GMed it, but neither chronicle is on Eddard.

The ratfolk looks about nervously. I'm not too good with the talking part of problem-solving, he acknowledges, and the admission appears to pain him. But I'll do what I can to help.

Sovereign Court

Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

Alexandre bows to the pair of Shoanti leaders, noting with relief Cousin's peaked ears. If a half-elf has enough pull to be a leader, then our motley crew won't immedately be on a wrong foot by mere appearances, he notes as the others have a hospitable welcome. After a moment of taking in the scenery and the welcome, Alexandre steps forward to join into the conversation.

"Personally, I agree. the most allies one has, the better off you are when you need help," he adds into the mix. "And while Mr. Simset was a rogue agent, There are... preferences is as good a word as any, preferences in the Society that made his pillaging seem less dastardly. After this disaster is dealt with, we'll have to do something about remedying that failing. But, seriously, how can you mistake a Shoanti site for a Thassilonian one? And how can you treat it as poorly as he did? The amount of damage he did was unconscionable."

When Eddard's worries are brought to light, he adds, "I'm a reasonable conversationalist, but I'm sure that your skills and insights will be of great use to us all, Mr. Rodenton."

Liberty's Edge

active:
Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

Bulgulp nods in recognition of seeing Rollicks in Waves again, as Rollicks in waves steps up to hug Bulgulp he vanishes from sight before he can touch him.

He then appears next to Alexandre and whispers "I too do not do so well with those that prefer talking over action, I will follow your lead in there and keep an eye out for hidden dangers."

Grand Lodge

Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

Zyneste simply nods to indicate her readiness to enter and talk with the Quahs. She takes a few deep breaths to center herself. She much preferred action as well, or quiet solitary mediation...definitely not social gatherings. Casting her mind back to her laid back and joyful family meals around the table as a child, she tries to convince herself this will be as easy and as natural as that.

Sovereign Court

Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

Alexandre quickly squats down to be close to the bashful grippi. "Anything you can point out to us will be a great boon in this. Trying to persuade many people quickly is a challenge, no matter who's doing the talking." And with that, Alexandre stands and looks to their host. "Shall we go meet the council?"


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Sorry for the delay, real life got in the way yesterday.

As the party chats, others file into place. If anyone was expecting an easy time, that assumption vanishes.

Cousin to All gives you a rundown as people file in.

PAYAH AGAINST THE WIND: “Against the Wind is renowned for her might. No doubt she is intimidating, but don’t let that deter you from trying to convince her of your intentions. She values strength, so show that strength in your conviction.”

KEMCHET FLAME STOKER: “Flame Stoker definitely has a reputation as a tough leader, equal emphasis on ‘tough’ and ‘leader.’ As he is strong willed and protective of his people, I seriously doubt you’ll be able to convince him that your intentions are true.”

LAKE AT DAWN: “Many say Lake at Dawn is one of the foremost reasons the Shoanti haven’t broken out in civil war. While that’s certainly hyperbole, there is no doubt as to his ability to broker peace between the quahs. Although he is protective of his people, I think you will be able to convince him that your actions will be for his people’s good.”

MEMORY TENDER: “The Skoan-Quah is known for their amazing recall of history, and Memory Tender is known for being one of the best, preserving Shoanti history through tales passed down through the generations.”

TOGIMAL IN SHADOW: “I don’t know much about Togimal in Shadow other than what rumor holds. Skilled hunter, vigilant tracker. I’m not sure what their attitude will be heading into this meeting, but I know the Lyrune-Quah wouldn’t send In Shadow if there was any doubt regarding their wisdom and judgment.”

"There's also the two of us, but we're already voting your way, so don't focus on us."


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

At Cousin to All’s summons, the councilmembers walk up a sloping stone ramp to a rise featuring a row of wooden benches. Cousin to All and Rollicks in Waves take their seats toward the left side of the platform. A councilor with a rune pattern on her face formed with tattoo and scar takes a wide-stance seat, idly spinning a greatsword. A slight figure with hood drawn sits cross-legged and hunched, eyes downward. Another councilor sits forward on her bench, a vulture perched next to her. A long-haired man clad in a robe takes his place, waiting attentively. The last councilor stands near his bench, arms crossed and with a cold glare, auroch hood around his shoulders.

Cousin to All begins. “Thank you, all, for honoring my request and being here today. I understand that this is a situation of the utmost sensitivity, so I appreciate everyone’s continued civility as we discuss this matter."

“As you all know, a Pathfinder Society agent has desecrated the Muschkal Sepulcher—a severe offense. However, the Society would like to right their wrongs. They have sent these representatives to present their case to you, esteemed representatives, on how they would like to repair our bonds and fix this problem.”

The man in the auroch cloak hardens his glare. “What bonds do we have to repair? These tshameks deserve no such opportunity and no forgiveness. This is a Shoanti problem that only the Shoanti can fix, as we always have.”

“At least hear them out, Kemchet Flame Stoker,” Cousin to All bristles. “I understand your frustrations with this situation— believe me, I have some of my own—but the Pathfinder Society wants to make things right. I feel it only fair to allow them that chance.” Flame Stoker scoffs but speaks no further."

The hooded figure looks around the room as everyone speaks. They look almost as if they will speak, but they remain silent, instead studying each person.

The vulture and its owner stare at each Pathfinder in turn Scaling the Council of Quahs before the latter speaks. “The boneslayers reported extensive damage and missing relics from the sepulcher. This site is of the utmost importance to our history, built up over hundreds of years. That legacy can’t be repaired in a day.”

The woman with the greatsword sneers. “They certainly don’t look like much. How could we trust their ability to fix things?” She clangs her sword off the rock platform for emphasis. Rollicks in Waves shoots a look at her and retorts, “The Society is more capable than you think, Payah Against the Wind. Do at least give them a chance to prove that.”

The long-haired man speaks up. “This has been a most troubling development. I want to hear what these Pathfinders have to say. My only request is that the quahs reach a mutual understanding and maintain a mutual respect on this matter, even if our opinions on the best course of action differ. We must remain unified, even in our disagreements.”

“Certainly a worthy goal, Lake at Dawn. I trust everyone to strive toward that,” Cousin to All remarks. “So, Pathfinders, please approach and state your case. How are you going to undo your misdeeds? How will you settle the Society’s debt?”

Grand Lodge

Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

DM S - I assume this is not just a straight Diplomacy test, since we've got the detailed slides on each of the Council? Can you give us a sense of the mechanics here, even generally? Usually there are some broadly applicable skill checks to suss out what will work best with invidivual targets, like Perception or Sense Motive - does that apply here? I'm going to make a generic post about how we can repair damage to the site, and will throw down a Sense Motive check for the heck of it.

Gbagbe, knowing he is no diplomat, chooses to address one particular point that has been raised by more than one councilor. Holding up the Scavenger's Stone, he says, "We know much damage was done by the thoughtless intruder to your sacred place." He pauses, staring at the Stone for a long moment as if he's forgotten what it is, or why he's here, or even who he is, but eventually gets back on track, "This stone can repair damaged things, mundane or magic. The Society is prepared to expend all the magical power within this stone in order to undo the physical harm that has been done. So that's something."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 I'll have this be on Memory Tender, if you need a specific target.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

Was going to let someone start talking before spilling the mechanics, but Gbagbe seems to have done just that!

Immediately as Gbagbe breaks the ice, the various Shoooanti begin talking over each other, starting side conversations, and engaging the party. This is no Taldan court of law!

Social Encounters:

1. Choose an NPC.
2. Decide your plan of attack with that NPC. You can try to directly influence them with a normal social skill, OR you can try to learn a bit about them so that future attempts at influencing them have a higher chance of success as you ferret out what will work.... and what won't work.
3. The scene is fluid, with plenty of time for you to chit chat with each other and share the results of your work. As such, EACH NPC will have notes on the handout so that you don't have to search the thread.
4. While not strictly by the book, I find it extremely frustrating as a player when I don't know how long the scene is, and therefore how many chances I have. I'll tell you that in THIS case, you could GUESS it'll be about a one hour meeting, so that's four turns. This is a dangerous mission though, and anything could happen.

On your turn you'll need to post your in character action along with the mechanics:

  • NPC
  • Influence or Discovery
  • IF Influence, roll your dice.
  • IF Discovery, choose "Influence Skill", "Strength", or "Weakness." Then roll a Knowledge (Local) or Sense Motive.
  • Phase 1:
    Alexandre: Go
    Bulgulp: Go
    Eddard: Go
    Gbagbe: Dice Rolled, goal needs to be selected.
    Zyneste: Go
    Victor: Go

    The Exchange

    Male ratfolk Rog4 (eldritch scoundrel) | hp 31/31 | Init +3 | AC 18/14, T 14, FF 11 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F +3 R +7 (evasion) W +2 | Prcptn +7 (+9 traps, trap spotter) |

    Eddard will try Discovery on the historian (Memory Tender) to find out her influence skill.

    History, as you know, is precious and its preservation is important to the Society, despite the actions of one rogue Pathfinder, he says, his nose twitching nervously. Yet holding an entire tribe responsible for the foolish actions of one member hardly seems fair. We are here to try and make things right, and ask your leave to allow us to do so.
    Take 10 on Kn (local) for 21...and hope that's enoguh...

    Grand Lodge

    Male Half-Orc DEAD

    Victor, not really one for talking, simply stays still, and watches.

    Sense Motive - Discovery - Influence Skill - Cousin to All: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20.

    Liberty's Edge

    active:
    Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
    Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

    @Victor we don't need to influence Cousin to All or Rollicks in Waves we already have their votes

    Bulgulp remains quite studying the council members, the hooded Togimal in Shadows catches his attention, his quite studying ways resonate with Bulgulp.

    Bulgulp closes his eyes for a moment as he peers into the near future

    Prescience: 1d20 ⇒ 5

    precience description:

    Prescience (Su): At the beginning of your turn, you may, as a free action, roll a single d20. At any point before your next turn, you may use the result of this roll as the result of any d20 roll you are required to make. If you do not use the d20 result before your next turn, it is lost. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.

    Cringing slightly at what he saw, he tries to study Togimal in Shadows to see if he can learn anything about the mysterious figure

    know local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21Discover influnce skill for togimal in shadows

    It's difficult to pick up anything from the passive face of Togimal in Shadows, for a moment he thought he did, but he's not sure.

    Grand Lodge

    Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

    Zyneste, used to trying to stay in touch with her own feelings and thoughts, remains quiet, attempting to sense some of the strength and potential weaknesses of the council members.

    She focuses first on LAKE AT DAWN.

    Discovery attempt
    Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

    Sovereign Court

    Male LN Kitsune Swashbuckler 6 | HP: 47/47| AC: 22( 15Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 21 | F: +4, R: +10, W: +5(+2vs. Mind Affecting) | Init: +5 | Perc: +10, SM: +10 | Speed 30ft | Panache: 5/5 |Active conditions: none

    While we don't have to influence them, I'd bet that influencing them will make our jobs easier.

    Alexandre sighs. Normally, he would like to hold back just a little bit, to gauge the room and see who would be most influenced by his words. But, with this group of shrinking violets? Time to go on the offensive right now. he mentally impresses on himself, he looks toward the council before his eyes fall on Lake at Dawn. After a moments thought, he begins.

    "I understand how awful this is for you. I recently had to deal with someone doing the same thing in my own country, and the Society exposed his blatant thievery to the people. So finding that one of ours did that is inexcusable, and I want to see this fixed. So does the Society. We were sent with two goals: fix this awful mistake and do what we can to strengthen our bonds with your people. Please let us show our regret for this travesty by doing what we can to fix it."

    Trying to Influence Lake at Dawn

    Blowing a Panache for Social Panache
    Diplomacy(SP): 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 12 + (6) = 21
    Continued Social Panache: 1d6 ⇒ 4
    That'll make my Diplomacy Check a 25.

    Grand Lodge

    Appearance M Grippli Amnesiac Psychedelic Psychic 4 | HP 26 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 15 | (w/o mage armor: 13 | 13 | 11) | CMD 12 | Fort +4 | Ref +4 | Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc +9

    Hope it’s okay I jumped the gun a bit - I’m just glad my skill choice wasn’t completely off-base.

    I’ll apply that Sense Motive result (25) to a Discovery roll vs Memory Tender to find her weakness.


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

    Apologies for my slow post rate over the last couple of days.

    As Alexandre speaks, Lake at Dawn maintains a calm and even keeled attitude. He does over a smile though as Alexandre's words seem to strike a chord. "Understanding one's personal commitment to regaining harmony is commendable, but I wonder if such magnanimity is common in your society?" Success

    Bulgulp tries to unlock the seemingly inscrutable Togimal in Shadow. The shoanti speaks very little, and indeed acts almost like a hunter stalking a heard to learn its behavior. Perhaps a similar approach would work? Success

    Eddard engages with Memory Tender, and notices very quickly that she builds her opinions of the present on the knowledge of the past. She doesn't seem to like what the ratfolk is implying about who bears the blame, "But as we have seen often, a species introduced to a new system can wreak havoc on the system beyond its years..." Success

    Gbagbe notices that Memory Tender doesn't speak in clear terms. She tends towards riddles, metaphors, and often answers questions. Maybe speaking similarly to her would help? Success

    Zyneste struggles to get a feel for Lake at Dawn. Failure

    Phase 1:
    Victor: Go I'll let you redirect as you know that Cousin to All is a slam dunk.

    The Shoanti continue to mill about. Side conversations continue. You feel like you've learned a lot in just a few precious minutes, but you know you don't have this handled yet...

    Phase 2:
    Alexandre: Go
    Bulgulp: Go
    Eddard: Go
    Gbagbe: Go
    Zyneste: Go
    Victor: Go

    Grand Lodge

    Male Half-Orc DEAD

    Victor tries to get a read on Lake-at-Dawn...

    Sense Motive - Discovery - Influence Skill - Lake-at-Dawn: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7.

    Sense Motive - Discovery - Influence Skill - Lake-at-Dawn: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8.

    ...but continues to have trouble getting a read on anyone.

    Liberty's Edge

    active:
    Heightened Awareness + 2 Perception 50mins
    Grippli Messmerist 3 | Ninja 2 | Wizard 1 HP 25/46 | AC 20/16T/15FF | Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +5 | Init +13 | Perception +11 (+12 for traps) | CMD 17 | Trap Spotter 10ft ]

    Bulgulp nods to himself as he begins to understand Togimal in Shadows, he seems to be watching and studying us, but is he a predator and we the prey?

    Bulgulp closes his eyes again and peers into the immediate future

    Prescience: 1d20 ⇒ 9

    He struggles to see anything helpful so he continues studying Togimal in Shadows to see if he can figure out a weakness.

    Know Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 Discover weekness on Togimal in Shadows


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

    Since I had ruled that you could redirect your role, I'll give you the first one Victor. Victor notices that Lake at Dawn seems to see everything through religious concepts. He's fairly confident that it makes for a good approach. Success. When he tries to focus on more detail, it doesn't give any new insight.

    Bulgulp notices that Togimal in Shadows only really opens up in one on one conversation, away from others of both the Pathfinder and Shoanti delegation. Success.

    Phase 2:
    Alexandre: Go
    Bulgulp: Success
    Eddard: Go
    Gbagbe: Go
    Zyneste: Go

    Victor: Fail

    Grand Lodge

    Female Human Monk (Zen Archer) 6 | HP: 45/45 | AC: 21 (25 Mage Armor) | T: 21 | FF: 18 (22) | CMD: 27| Fort: +7 | Ref: +8| Will: +12 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15 | Sense Motive: +13 | Ki: 9/11

    Zyneste, after a settling breath, steps forward to quietly talk to MEMORY TENDER. "It is true that our colleague caused extensive damage...but what does history teach us if not that we should learn from our mistakes? It is true that the 'introduced species' into the system may cause change, some of it painful...but can it not also lead to adaptation and progress? Perhaps if you trust us to rectify these past wrongs and prove that we are keen to make amends, we may actually end up with stronger bonds than before?"

    Kn. History: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


    MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Skull & Shackles |

    Zyneste's tack seems to work very well. "That is something to consider. The river of our past flows past the boulders of the present. In time it can even wear it down." Success

    Phase 2:
    Alexandre: Go
    Bulgulp: Success
    Eddard: Go
    Gbagbe: Go

    Zyneste: Success
    Victor: Fail

    1 to 50 of 293 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Outpost II: Dungeon Master S's "Debt to the Quah" [Classic] All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.