The Moar Core Tour (Inactive)

Game Master BretI

A Core PFS campaign that will go from level 1 through level 12, completing all of Season 5 in the process.

At least, that was the original plan. We made it to 5th level with a few characters leaving and others joining. At that point life had gotten in the way for several of the players and interest in Core was waning. The group had one last run and then we closed it down.


3,401 to 3,450 of 3,697 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Season of Ghosts

Treason's Chains

The Winding Road Inn sits on the outskirts of the great city of Katapesh, a modest and unassuming waystation for those entering or exiting the great city. Though the exterior architecture is classical Katapesh style, matching the other neighboring structures, the interior is designed and styled to be much more reminiscent of an inn that one might visit in Varisia, Taldor, or Absalom.

While the inn itself is open to travelers of all stripes, its true function - a lodge for agents of the Pathfinder Society - is not as widely known. Though just one of five Pathfinder lodges within the city itself, the Winding Road Lodge has seen its fair share of agents come and go over the years, deployed on tasks great and small by the lodge's Venture Captain, Roderus. While you may or may not have personally met Roderus yourself his reputation as a fair and sensible venture captain has preceded him and the recent successes of his Pathfinder agents have granted him increased influence in both Katapesh and Absalom.

But all good things must come to an end and word has spread that having become more and more aware of his advancing age, Venture Captain Roderus is set to retire from active duty with the Pathfinder Society. Still, such a seasoned leader can't be allowed to retire without...a retirement party! Pathfinder agents near and far have been invited to the party - including all of you. Whether you're actually here with the hopes of enjoying the party or simply taking in the shenanigans of your fellow agents or something else, each of you now find yourselves in the common room of the Winding Road Inn, having traveled from all manner of places to be here.

It seems, however, that you've arrived a bit early - there don't seem to be that many people here yet. A rather dour-looking halfling stands behind the bar while a short...wait. Whoa. Hold on just a minute here!

Is that a goblin?

Yes, yes it is - they've got a goblin scurrying about, balancing a drink tray atop his head as he serves the handful of patrons and other party guests that have already arrived. Over in one corner of the common room, near the fire, a trio of red-headed half-elves - one male, two female - work to set up a makeshift stage. And a quiet woman with dark hair and dressed in red-and-blue seems to be working on stringing up paper lanterns.

Looks like they're still getting set up. No matter. That gives you all time to take a load off for a few minutes, grab a drink, and perhaps even make idle chit chat with some of the folks here. Or not.
______________

And we're off!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 5 (CORE) | HP 37/37 | AC 17, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +10 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Endure Elements 50/50, Identify 47/50, Expeditious Retreat 48/50, Hide from Undead 50/50

Damiar looks around, excited. "About time they invited us to another Pathfinder Society party! I love parties! We get to meet people, eat great appetizers, provide entertainment, foster peaceful negotiations and then slaughter mercilessly the monsters that crash the party seeking to destroy everyone!"

Damiar waves to the goblin, and grabs a drink. Kneeling down low, she says, "Oh, hello. Are you a new initiate to the society? I'm Damiar." She figures that she can go visit the red-headed half-elves and offer to help them with their stage set up, but she's curious about the goblin, as they're so rare in the Society as a whole.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Iovo grabs a drink of her own from the goblin. Seeing that her sister is already welcoming the creature, she decides to go see if she can help with some of the set up.

She goes up to the dark haired woman stringing up the lanterns. Smiling brightly, she asks “Would you like any help with that, miss? My name is Iovo, and that” with a gesture in Damiar’s direction “is my twin sister Damiar.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 4 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +6 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

"Oh! A goblin! I haven't interviewed any goblins for my dictionary yet! Excuse me, what would you say your favorite word is?"

The Amazing Coco, meanwhile, tries to get close to an unattended drink.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 5 | AC 18 (20 w/smite), T 12 (14 w/smite), FF 16 (18 w/smite) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | +1 adam. glaive: +11/1d10+10 (PA -2/+6), Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6 (PA -2/+4), Bow +7/1d8+3| Lay on hands 2d6, 4/4

"Oh! Hello friends. I hear you had a rather adventurous time at the last party you went to. I somehow ended up on the wrong ship home--again--and completely missed it. Anyway, I'm glad to be here with you now!"

Seeing some of his friends wander off to chat with people, Kleines looks around for someone to help, ambling over to the musicians. "Hello there. My name's Kleines. Can I give you a hand with that?"

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Grinning, Iovo jests "Did you do something to annoy Besmara or something? You have the worst luck with catching boats!"

Giving a short laugh, she adds "Glad to have you with us again, Kleines!"

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 5 | AC 18 (20 w/smite), T 12 (14 w/smite), FF 16 (18 w/smite) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | +1 adam. glaive: +11/1d10+10 (PA -2/+6), Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6 (PA -2/+4), Bow +7/1d8+3| Lay on hands 2d6, 4/4
Iovo Apastron wrote:
Grinning, Iovo jests "Did you do something to annoy Besmara or something? You have the worst luck with catching boats!"

"I prefer to think of it as a test from the Master of Masters, meant to illustrate a path of self-improvement....though it sure seems like a long path sometimes."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tilly
Damiar Apastron wrote:
Damiar waves to the goblin, and grabs a drink. Kneeling down low, she says, "Oh, hello. Are you a new initiate to the society? I'm Damiar." She figures that she can go visit the red-headed half-elves and offer to help them with their stage set up, but she's curious about the goblin, as they're so rare in the Society as a whole.

The little goblin pauses while Damiar helps herself to a drink, balancing the tray atop his head with surprising ease, and when she actually addresses him directly he looks up at her with eager eyes.

"Hello! I Zig, I help! But I not Pathfinder...just here to work for party," he replies. His shoulders slump a little on the last...but then he immediately perks back up, chest puffed out with pride. "Still good, though! This my first job, see? Maybe if I do good enough with first job, I get more jobs! Then, I do good with those jobs and get to be Pathfinder one day! I always wanted to be Pathfinder, ever since little, little goblin!"

Phinellippa Dioptrice wrote:

"Oh! A goblin! I haven't interviewed any goblins for my dictionary yet! Excuse me, what would you say your favorite word is?"

The Amazing Coco, meanwhile, tries to get close to an unattended drink.

Zig grins. "That easy! Favorite word is 'Pathfinder'! And what is 'dictionary'?"

So excited is the goblin to be talking to Pathfinders - real, live Pathfinders - that he's absolutely not paying any attention as the Amazing Coco casually alights atop the drink tray and hops over to help herself to one of the full drink glasses.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vinius
Iovo Apastron wrote:

Iovo grabs a drink of her own from the goblin. Seeing that her sister is already welcoming the creature, she decides to go see if she can help with some of the set up.

She goes up to the dark haired woman stringing up the lanterns. Smiling brightly, she asks “Would you like any help with that, miss? My name is Iovo, and that” with a gesture in Damiar’s direction “is my twin sister Damiar.

The woman glances up from her task and studies Iovo - and Damiar, when Iovo gestures her way - for a moment. After a pause, she simply shakes her head.

"Thank you but no," she responds quietly. "I'm almost done here."

She then returns to her lantern-stringing, without even so much as an introduction.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Elven Ranger 4 [ HP 36/36 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +4 | CMD 18 | Init +5 | Perc +10*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees listens to his companions' banter quietly as he watches the room, hoping against hope that she is here somewhere... or will be. Maybe this will all finally be over, and we can go home. No better place to look for her... if I can just stomach all this decadent waste for a little while.

Glancing over at Garif, the tall, emerald-eyed elf tilts his head slightly, as if to inquire, Are we meant to be offering assistance, or...? I was under the impression that this was going to be one of your fancy 'parties' — where are all the decadently wasteful celebrants?


Season of Ghosts

"Zig, watch the drinks! I hired you to serve them, not use them to water the critters," the dour-faced halfling calls from behind the bar. "And Vinius, would it kill you to at least try to be friendly?"

The woman, Vinius, to whom Iovo just spoke pauses in her work long enough to shoot the halfling a dirty look.

"Don't like talking," she mutters. "I'm not good at it."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Well, if she doesn’t like to talk she should get along fabulously with Rees!

Heading over to the halfling, Iovo apologizes “It is my fault really, I distracted her while she was busy with the lanterns. My name is Iovo, pleased to meet you! Are you in charge here? Is there anything you need help with?


Season of Ghosts
Kleines Johann wrote:
Seeing some of his friends wander off to chat with people, Kleines looks around for someone to help, ambling over to the musicians. "Hello there. My name's Kleines. Can I give you a hand with that?"

The three half-elves all look up as Kleines approaches and introduces himself. Almost in unison, they each offer him a wide, friendly smile. And now that he's looking, there's a very obvious family resemblance between all three.

"Howdy! My name's Kaba. This is my sister Kora and our brother, Kitt," one of the women explains, gesturing to the other two. "And if you're offering to give us a hand, we'd greatly appreciate it!"

The brother, Kitt, straightens up and spits out a couple of nails he'd had held in his mouth. He sticks his hand out for a shake.

"Hey, friend! Nice to meet you," Kitt chimes in. "In case you didn't hear us the first time, it's Kitt, Kaba, and Kora, in no particular order. Sure you guessed it by now but we're a real-deal band. Me, I'm the singer."

The half-elf does a little shimmy.

~I love to sing-a
About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a~

He stops and grins. "Kaba plays the flute and Kora plays the lute. You play an instrument, man? Maybe we could have a jam session once we finish setting up here!"


Dougle
Iovo Apastron wrote:
Heading over to the halfling, Iovo apologizes “It is my fault really, I distracted her while she was busy with the lanterns. My name is Iovo, pleased to meet you! Are you in charge here? Is there anything you need help with?

"Dougle," the halfling responds with a gruff nod. "And yeah, pretty much. I'm in charge of planning tonight's festivities and making sure everything runs smoothly. Might need some more help when we get closer to the kick-off but for the moment I think we're pretty good."

After a pause, he adds, "Thank ya for asking, though."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

"No problem! It is one part of the motto, cooperation! Much more fun that writing reports."

Hearing the half-elves talk with Kleines, Iovo smiles. Well, that should prove interesting. No way Damiar is going to let an opportunity to sing pass her by!

She takes another sip of her drink and waits to fall in behind her sister when she inevitably comes over to talk with the band.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 4 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +6 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

"A dictionary is book that tells you what different words mean! I'm trying to get some of the most important words from many different...CoCo! Get away from that glass at once!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female raven || AC: 15, T: 14, F: 13 || F +1, R +4, W +5 || hp 8/8

"I was only HIC sitting here. I wasn't HIC drinking."

The Amazing CoCo takes off flying along a very wavy path.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 5 | AC 18 (20 w/smite), T 12 (14 w/smite), FF 16 (18 w/smite) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | +1 adam. glaive: +11/1d10+10 (PA -2/+6), Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6 (PA -2/+4), Bow +7/1d8+3| Lay on hands 2d6, 4/4

"Instrument? Oh, uh, not really. I guess I played the gong sometimes at the Irorium. Mostly because the mallet was so heavy, I think, but I guess that counts. Anyway, I'm happy to help you set up here. Are you Pathfinders as well?"


Tilly

Zig jumps a bit as the halfling - Dougle - scolds him and Phinellippa scolds CoCo for getting into the drinks.

"Eep! I sorry boss, I get back to work now, sorry!" he calls, shooting Dougle an apologetic look. Turning back to Damiar and Phinellippa he adds, "I sorry, need to serve drinks and not talk. But...maybe talk later, after party? Hearing more Pathfinder stories and dictionary stories would be nice..."

He gives the pair the goblin equivalent of puppy-dog eyes.

Kn. Local (DC 10):

Even from your brief interactions with Zig you can quite plainly see that he's very different from what you know as a 'typical' goblin. His smile is easy and without malice and he seems genuinely eager and excited to be working inside the lodge, even as a glorified waiter. He's also on the young side, as far as goblins go - probably the goblin equivalent of a teenager at most.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kitt
Kleines Johann wrote:
"Instrument? Oh, uh, not really. I guess I played the gong sometimes at the Irorium. Mostly because the mallet was so heavy, I think, but I guess that counts. Anyway, I'm happy to help you set up here. Are you Pathfinders as well?"

Kitt laughs loudly. "Oh man! Are we Pathfinders? Are we Pathfinders?? You better believe it! You heard about the Fiendflesh Siege of Absalom, right? All sorts of slaves were promised their freedom if they'd fight to defend the city," he explains. "That was us, you know. We were slaves but after the fighting was done they gave us our freedom and even greased the wheels a bit on getting all three of us accepted into the Pathfinder Society!"


Kora

"Kitt, you sound so boastful," Kora scolds gently. "It's not a bad thing to be proud of what we accomplished but we weren't the only ones who paid for Absalom's salvation with our blood. Remember that some paid with their very lives. We need to keep that in mind and not...not...not glorify what happened, you know?"

Kora gives Kleines an awkward, apologetic smile. "Sorry about that. Kitt means well - Don't you make that face at me, Kitt! - and I promise even he can be serious when push comes to shove. We take our new positions as Pathfinders seriously too, even if it might not always seem like it."


Elsharon

"Oh yeah, like our own mission," Kaba chimes in. "We're here to play for the party, that's not a lie, but we're here as official Pathfinders, too. Our job is tracking down slaves who were illegally smuggled out of Absalom after manumission by greedy underground slavers who didn’t want to lose their 'stock'..."

Her cheerful expression darkens for a moment, as do Kitt and Kora's.

"They earned their freedom just like we did. If things had turned out just a little differently it still might've been us in chains somewhere, instead of them. We owe it to them to bring them all back - each and every one. And who better to track down slavers than three former slaves? Accepting this job wasn't even a question for us."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Well, that explains the title of the scenario. :)

People aren’t property!” Iovo declares with conviction. “No one should be treated that way.

Her moment of seriousness done, she then asks “Know any traveling songs?

Reminder, she wears a symbol of Desna that is just as visible as her wayfinder.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf Druid 4 | HP 32 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +6 | Ref +4 | Will +9 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +12

Garif moves into the half set-up party room and looks around thoughtfully, contemplating the event to come. Another party to get through, it seems. Funny how often they send us to this sort of thing, I really thought when I joined up I'd be exploring dark dungeons and other nice, underground spots.

He turns to remark on this to his companions, and discovers they have all scattered to the wind as Garif's thoughts have slowly percolated. They are all making small talk and chatting away, and the dwarf feels a bit at a loss, until Rees makes eye contact.

'Whatever do you mean, one of my fancy parties? I don't know a thing about parties!' he says with a tug of his long beard and a lift of both eyebrows. A subtle shrug and the faintest of grins adds the thought, 'Perhaps you are the decadently wasteful celebrant here?'

Laying a gentle hand on Nico's shoulder, to discourage the massive cat from chasing strings of paper lanterns, Garif approaches the taciturn woman in red and blue and says, "Not to worry, I know how you feel. Not much of a talker either."

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 5 (CORE) | HP 37/37 | AC 17, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +10 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Endure Elements 50/50, Identify 47/50, Expeditious Retreat 48/50, Hide from Undead 50/50

"Well, it was lovely to meet you, Zig," Damiar says to the little goblin. "And if you want a recommendation to the Society... I would be happy to write one on your behalf. You have every right to be considered if your heart is willing."

She walks over to the three red-haired half-elves, and says, "My sister and I also perform. We'd love to jam with you. Five red-headed musicians of elvish descent? We'd be a sensation. I am so glad that you three are free now, and that you help free others. We haven't yet heard what our mission here is today. Maybe we''ll be assigned to help you!"

"I'm Damiar, by the way, and this is my twin, Iovo. We're from the elvish homeland!"

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 5 | AC 18 (20 w/smite), T 12 (14 w/smite), FF 16 (18 w/smite) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | +1 adam. glaive: +11/1d10+10 (PA -2/+6), Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6 (PA -2/+4), Bow +7/1d8+3| Lay on hands 2d6, 4/4
The Lady's NPC 2.0 wrote:

"Oh yeah, like our own mission," Kaba chimes in. "We're here to play for the party, that's not a lie, but we're here as official Pathfinders, too. Our job is tracking down slaves who were illegally smuggled out of Absalom after manumission by greedy underground slavers who didn’t want to lose their 'stock'..."

Her cheerful expression darkens for a moment, as do Kitt and Kora's.

"They earned their freedom just like we did. If things had turned out just a little differently it still might've been us in chains somewhere, instead of them. We owe it to them to bring them all back - each and every one. And who better to track down slavers than three former slaves? Accepting this job wasn't even a question for us."

"No, I imagine it wasn't" Kleines says, holding a piece of the stage in place while Kora tightens the bold holding it together. "As my friend here said, we aren't sure yet what our mission here is, but let us know how we can help with yours, too. It's hard to think of something more important than that."


Kitt
Iovo Apastron wrote:

Well, that explains the title of the scenario. :)

People aren’t property!” Iovo declares with conviction. “No one should be treated that way.

Her moment of seriousness done, she then asks “Know any traveling songs?

"Right on!"

Kitt (and his sisters) raise her hands for fist-bumps. "And do we know any traveling songs?? You know it! Ramblin' Man, On the Road Again, I've Been Everywhere, End of the Line, Send Me On My Way..." he continues, rattling off a number of songs, "we'll do any of them! Unless you've got a special request? I mean, looks like you might know a few yourself."

He nods at Iovo's holy symbol.


Vinius
Garif Stonetoe wrote:
Laying a gentle hand on Nico's shoulder, to discourage the massive cat from chasing strings of paper lanterns, Garif approaches the taciturn woman in red and blue and says, "Not to worry, I know how you feel. Not much of a talker either."

Vinius at first eyes Garif with both wariness and weariness as he approaches...but at the dwarf's remark that he, too, isn't usually one for conversation, the corners of her mouth twitch a little.

It's almost as though she's wanting to smile.

"Dwarves usually aren't."

Then, "Thanks. It'll be faster if you hand them to me."

Not that Garif actually volunteered to help but she does have a point - it'd save her the trouble of having to repeatedly step up and down from the stool she's using as she moves about the room.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tilly
Damiar Apastron wrote:
"Well, it was lovely to meet you, Zig," Damiar says to the little goblin. "And if you want a recommendation to the Society... I would be happy to write one on your behalf. You have every right to be considered if your heart is willing."

At this, Zig's eyes grow as big as dinner plates and he very nearly drops the tray he's balancing as he struggles to keep from jumping up and down with glee.

"Eeee! Thank you, thank you! I go now, work even harder! Make Miss Damiar and family proud!"

And with that, he hurries off to the next patron.


Elsharon
Damiar Apastron wrote:

She walks over to the three red-haired half-elves, and says, "My sister and I also perform. We'd love to jam with you. Five red-headed musicians of elvish descent? We'd be a sensation. I am so glad that you three are free now, and that you help free others. We haven't yet heard what our mission here is today. Maybe we''ll be assigned to help you!"

"I'm Damiar, by the way, and this is my twin, Iovo. We're from the elvish homeland!"

"No. Freaking. Way!" Kaba squeals as Damiar comes over to introduce herself and join the conversation. "What are the odds!? I don't know if it's just fate or maybe Desna smiling down on us but this has got to be a good omen! Even if you don't end up helping us, we'll still have the best jam session ever."


Kora
Kleines Johann wrote:
"No, I imagine it wasn't" Kleines says, holding a piece of the stage in place while Kora tightens the bold holding it together. "As my friend here said, we aren't sure yet what our mission here is, but let us know how we can help with yours, too. It's hard to think of something more important than that."

"Thank you," Kora smiles at Kleines as she finishes tightening the bolt. Of the three siblings she seems to be the least excitable...or maybe just the most sensible. "And the same goes for you guys, too. If you need our help all you need do is ask and we'll do our best."

"It's funny that you're all here for a mission as well, you know? Must be a lot happening here in Katapesh lately," she muses as she moves on to setting up some stage decorations.

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 4 | HP 32 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +6 | Ref +4 | Will +9 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +12

Garif's smile is broader than that of Vinius, though just as brief, as he nods wordlessly at her response. Completely ignoring the songs and musical riffs emanating from the cluster of elves, the dwarf begins to hum tunelessly to himself as he hands Vinius lanterns to hang.

With a quick look at Rees, Garif lifts one bushy eyebrow, I'm making myself useful, contributing to the community. What are you doing? A little twitch of his cheek seems to somehow convey the dwarf sticking his tongue out at his elven friend, though his tongue never actually appears.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Ramblin’ Man is great! I’m also rather fond of 500 Miles! Any of the ones you mentioned would be fun.

She continues trading pieces of songs she knows and general chit-chat with Kitt and the other musicians.

When the topic of their own assignment comes up, she says “Supposedly we are just here for the retirement party, but we have enough experience that we know it is never that easy when the Pathfinder Society is involved!

She starts trading stories of past weddings and funerals the group has been sent on, and how they have gone wrong. Surprisingly, she doesn’t mention any of the events from the secret trip into the Chelish Embasy. “I’m really hoping for a secret mission, because that is the only time the Society sent me to a party and the party went well!


Season of Ghosts

Though most of you are having a pretty good time just hanging out and shooting the breeze with the workers, performers, and other guests, it's interrupted as an older man with white hair and dressed in clothes more suited to an expedition than a city comes striding into the common room. A few of the other guests offer tipped mugs and cheers, to which he responds with a chuckle.

"Now, now, you'll all get to make plenty of fuss over me later! I still say I'm not worth the hassle but my arm has been twisted, so here we are. That said, I know you folks," he nods at Dougle, the half-elf trio, and Vinius, "have been putting in a lot of work and there's still more to do - or so Dougle's been saying."

A few laughs can be heard as Dougle simply sighs and shakes his head.

"I'm thorough. If you're going to do a thing, do it right!"

"Quite right," the old man - who has to be Venture Captain Roderus - agrees. "And to do that, you need some extra help."

Roderus scans the crowd and each of the assembled Pathfinders in turn before nodding. "Let's see...you three, you with the big cat, you over at the bar with the bird, and you there in the corner - please come with me," he calls out, pointing at Kleines, Iovo & Damiar, Garif, Phinellippa, and Rees. He then turns and strides out of the common room, beckoning you to follow.
______________

Another post to follow, please stand by~


Season of Ghosts

The six of you soon find yourselves in a comfortably-furnished meeting room with enough chairs for everyone to have a seat if they choose. Once everyone has filed inside Roderus closes the door and sinks into a well-worn chair at the head of the table.

"Ahhh," he winces slightly. "What a relief to see you. As I'm sure you've guessed, I’ve requested you for a project that’s very important not only because failure could adversely affect every Pathfinder in the city, but also because it’s the last mission I intend to give as a venture-captain."

He takes a deep, steadying breath. "I need you working as staff for my retirement party. It’s all been arranged already; there’s food coming, entertainment, decorations, and all the expected distractions. What we need now are bodies: someone pouring drinks, someone on security, that sort of thing. You get enough egos in one room and set the wine flowing and someone’ll pick a fight, sure as day. We need Pathfinders keeping the other Pathfinders in line."

The old man sighs.

"Or, at least, that’s the official story. Unofficially, you’re here because I need eyes and ears all over the room tonight. There’s more at stake here than you might realize. You see, I kept hoping that those two venture-captains, Phlegos Dulm and Wulessa Yuul, would learn to make peace by the time I was gone, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. The city’ll be in their care once I’m gone, and the two of them have been at each other’s throats since before I announced my retirement. I can’t leave in good conscience if it means Pathfinders fighting in the streets."

"Work that crowd tonight. You hear those two talking, you come straight to me. You hear rumors, you come straight to me. You find evidence of a plot, you come straight to me. Are we clear?"
______________

What Venture-Captain Roderus has shared with you may not come as a surprise. Rumor travels fast and some of you may have already heard murmurings related to this conflict between Phlegos Dulm and Wulessa Yuul…

Kn. Local (DC 10+):

Phlegos Dulm runs a shop that specializes in poisons and potions, and he has some sway with the city market and the city’s masked rulers, the Pactmasters.

Kn. Local (DC 15+):

Many of Phlegos Dulm’s enemies have turned up dead from poisoning - too many for it to be mere coincidence.

Kn. Local (DC 20+):

Wulessa Yuul has always dealt with information, while Phlegos Dulm has always dealt with the markets. These days, however, they are both crossing into each other’s territory, actively courting Pathfinders to work for “their side” even when the mission should have fallen under the other’s jurisdiction.

Kn. Local (DC 25+):

Word on the street is that Wulessa Yuul can’t find any merchants to deal with her. No business in Katapesh survives long without connections in the marketplace, even a Pathfinder lodge. Someone is turning the market against her, which in Katapesh means whoever’s responsible is either very powerful or very generous with bribes.

Kn. Local (DC 30+):

Phlegos Dulm has been getting a lot of outside help, primarily from poor, local street gangs doing his bidding for petty coin. The fact that he doesn’t - or can’t - get Pathfinders to do his work for him must mean it’s work he doesn’t want anyone knowing about.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 4 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +4, W: +6 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

"I've heard of Phlegos Dulm. He runs a shop that specializes in poisons and potions, and he has some sway with the city market and the city’s masked rulers, the Pactmasters. Many of Phlegos Dulm’s enemies have turned up dead from poisoning - too many for it to be mere coincidence."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Kn: Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Iovo quickly takes one of the seats, eager to hear what their task was. She brightens at the words 'official story', but much of the smile goes away when she hears what the problem is.

"Well, at least poisons are easy to detect. Guess I will be doing a lot of that spell tonight."

"Could you tell us what their main point of contention is? Seems strange to even have more than one lodge in a city."

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 5 | AC 18 (20 w/smite), T 12 (14 w/smite), FF 16 (18 w/smite) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | +1 adam. glaive: +11/1d10+10 (PA -2/+6), Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6 (PA -2/+4), Bow +7/1d8+3| Lay on hands 2d6, 4/4

"Hm. Pathfinders fighting each other is troubling."

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 5 (CORE) | HP 37/37 | AC 17, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +10 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Endure Elements 50/50, Identify 47/50, Expeditious Retreat 48/50, Hide from Undead 50/50

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Damiar paces. "Wulessa Yuul has always dealt with information, while Phlegos Dulm has always dealt with the markets. These days, however, they are both crossing into each other’s territory, actively courting Pathfinders to work for “their side” even when the mission should have fallen under the other’s jurisdiction."

She frowns. "We're going to have to help those two find cooperation and trust. " She points a finger at Roderus. "Why are you leaving this mess, Roderus? With a bit of forethought it could have been avoided. Did you want to avoid the hard decision of choosing between them? All you needed to do was to declare a successor, groom that person, and establish the precedent, all while letting the person not chosen know that you are depending on them to help the other. It works best if you make them part of the decision making process. Instead, you left it for these two to struggle on, competing with each other, learning to treat each other as enemies and competition for goodness knows how long."

"The least you can do is give us as much information as you can about each of them. Their strengths, weaknesses, points of pride." Damiar crosses her arms. "With that... hopefully we can distentangle your mess."

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Elven Ranger 4 [ HP 36/36 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +4 | CMD 18 | Init +5 | Perc +10*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees frowns thoughtfully as he listens to the problem and Damiar's 'solution'. Things don't work the same way out here... but... Finally, he speaks up. "Why not just arrest both of them?" he asks, clearly honestly curious. "When someone is causing problems in the Community — any community — it's just good sense to remove them, at least until they can be rehabilitated."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Season of Ghosts
Iovo Apastron wrote:
"Could you tell us what their main point of contention is? Seems strange to even have more than one lodge in a city."
Damiar Apastron wrote:
<Sensible Questions & Scolding>

"You overestimate my own power and influence, I'm afraid" Roderus sighs as he wearily rubs at his temples. "My lodge is just one of four lodges in the area; each has their own venture-captain who oversees their own operations and agents. This, the Winding Road, has been my lodge. Wulessa runs the Farseer Tower Lodge, Phlegos the Kotargo Lodge, and Aurora Steelbloom the Katapesh Lodge. It isn't a matter of having a successor to me specifically - it's a matter of the remaining venture-captains being able to work together as they have in the past."

He shakes his head. "But if they're fighting and crossing into each other's areas of expertise then the whole thing is going to fall apart and I'm afraid that other agents will end up paying the price for it."

"Aurora is a world-class diplomat - even convinced the Pactmasters to post two aluum golems outside of her lodge for protection - but she has her own matters to attend to as of late. Otherwise I would have sought her counsel first," Roderus adds, perhaps in anticipation of such a question being asked. "So while I don't consider this 'my mess'," he gives Damiar a pointed look, "I do consider it my duty to seek a resolution to it if at all possible - otherwise, who will?"

"As far as strengths and weaknesses of each are concerned? Both of them can be incredibly stubborn and prideful when their own expertise is called into question - making for quite a volatile mix when they butt heads, as you can imagine. Wulessa can be hasty, however, and prone to what some might call...rash decisions. There was an incident some time back with an artifact* but I don't have time to relate the whole story. Phlegos is more calculating...and opportunistic, with all the good and bad that entails."

Rees Kovu wrote:
"Why not just arrest both of them?" he asks, clearly honestly curious. "When someone is causing problems in the Community — any community — it's just good sense to remove them, at least until they can be rehabilitated."

"Because there's no actual proof of any wrongdoing or law-breaking to tie to either of them at the moment - that's why I want you to be my eyes and ears at this party."

______________

*Which is detailed in #7-01 Between the Lines; have not played or GMed it myself though.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Elven Ranger 4 [ HP 36/36 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +4 | CMD 18 | Init +5 | Perc +10*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees shakes his head, bewildered, but keeps silent. He does throw Garif a side-long glance, as if to say, These people... if you wait until there's 'proof', someone will have already been injured or killed. No wonder their communities are such a mess! The slightest lift of his right eyebrow seems to add, Surely your tribe knows better, right?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

So we work the party, listen and observe, come to you when we get anything.” She shifts nervously. “Spy on the other venture-captains. I hadn’t expected to ever be given that assignment.Sounds like everyone here has forgotten about the cooperate portion of our motto.

Pardon for me saying so, but it being your retirement party it seems likely you will be busy or observed all night. What happens when we find something but you are not available? Do our best to deal with it, or report to someone else you trust?

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 5 (CORE) | HP 37/37 | AC 17, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +10 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Endure Elements 50/50, Identify 47/50, Expeditious Retreat 48/50, Hide from Undead 50/50

Damiar sighs. "Four lodges, no one in charge. Right. Sorry for my unwarranted scolding, Roderus. I see now that you're being responsible, even when it's not your mess, and I'll try to help. Will we be expecting Aurora as well tonight? I'd love her perspective."


Season of Ghosts
Iovo Apastron wrote:

Pardon for me saying so, but it being your retirement party it seems likely you will be busy or observed all night. What happens when we find something but you are not available? Do our best to deal with it, or report to someone else you trust?

"A fair point," Roderus acknowledges. "If you should learn or hear something and find me occupied, you can pass it along to Dougle. I've known Dougle for years and I trust him, as can you. He'll also be the one assigning tasks to be done during the party so it won't be suspicious for any of you to be seen speaking with him."

Damiar Apastron wrote:
"Four lodges, no one in charge. Right. Sorry for my unwarranted scolding, Roderus. I see now that you're being responsible, even when it's not your mess, and I'll try to help. Will we be expecting Aurora as well tonight? I'd love her perspective."

Roderus shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. Many of the missions and tasks that fall under her jurisdiction involve dealing with the Pactmasters and as such keeps her quite busy."

______________

VC Aurora Steelbloom aka VC-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film, alas. To be honest, I did some research and I don't know that she's ever actually been featured directly in a scenario! At least not for PF1.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf Druid 4 | HP 32 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +6 | Ref +4 | Will +9 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +12

Garif sits quiet as a stone through the briefing and the ensuing chatter, murmuring at one point, "Well, I'm good at observing things, keeping my eyes open, I can certainly do that. But this does seem very strange, that senior Pathfinders would be going at each other like this, even using poison!"

He is distracted from his ruminations by Rees' eloquent glance. After a thoughtful pause, Garif can't help but disagree a bit, his brow wrinkling and coming together above his eyes, then lifting in gesture that should be clear to all, We dwarves follow the law, of course. But it does seem a bit abrupt to just arrest everyone! Though perhaps elves are less prone to curbing their own behavior. In any case, we all agree that these errant venture-captains must be kept in check.


Season of Ghosts

"Those two have never exactly been close even under the best of circumstances but after hearing reports about sabotaged goods, intimidated contacts, and even Pathfinder missions mysteriously going awry? It does pain me to have to take measures against my fellow venture-captains this way but whatever is going on, it must stop. We can't have Pathfinders sabotaging other Pathfinders."

Though his expression is still weary, Roderus does offer the group a faint smile as Garif remarks on his talent for observation. "That's all that I ask, for now. When and if you learn anything actionable, we'll assess how to handle it and go from there."

"Oh and if you want to speak directly to either Wulessa or Phlegos that's fine as long as you don’t mention you're doing it on my behalf. People like you will be under their jurisdiction now, so they might just spill their little schemes to you in hopes you’ll take their side."

Roderus then rises to his feet, an indication that your briefing is at an end - barring any last-minute questions.

"As I mentioned earlier, Dougle will hand out specific assignments, but we need people working security, tending bar, delivering food, that sort of thing. If any of you can sing or play, I'm sure those bards would appreciate a little extra support too. Otherwise, it's nearly time for the festivities to kick off and so I'll leave you to it."
______________

Another post to follow, please stand by~


Dougle

After the briefing is concluded and you head back out to the common room you find that Dougle seems to have been waiting for you. He motions for the six of you, as well as for Vinius, Zig, and the Bardic Trio to all join him at the bar. Once everyone is assembled, the halfling claps his hands together to get everyone's attention.

"Alright, so here’s the deal - there’ll be a lot happening tonight and there’ll be a lot of different pies needing fingers in ‘em. Here’s what’ll need doing..."

"Security. This one’s a no-brainer - or at least I hope it is. Keep the guests in line and break up any arguments you catch wind of before things go to pot."

"I’ll need someone over at the bar, pouring drinks. Just doing the job is easy enough but I want whoever’s working the bar to make it entertaining. Add a little flair or pizzaz to your pour and entertain the guests. Got it?"

"Next, someone’s gotta bring the food around and make sure the right dish gets to the right guest. Oh and be sure to smile, make some small chit chat, that sort of thing. Most of these folks appreciate a personal touch."

For some totally inexplicable reason, Dougle gives a rather pointed look to Garif as he explains the next task. "Gods only know that a lot of Pathfinders adopt all manner of critters and bring ‘em everywhere. I'll need someone on critter duty to make sure they all get fed and tended to - brushing manes, exercise, whatever needs doing."

He pauses as he seems to mentally check off the tasks he’s described. "Right, those are the most important jobs. These last two, not so much, but if someone’s able to help out then so much the better. First, if anyone’s musically inclined and all that, the trio over here’d probably love to have you sing along or dance or whatever. And second, if anyone here has a way with languages, we could always use a translator. Not everyone speaks Common that well and some folks might feel more at ease speaking their own tongues. If you see someone struggling and you can help, jump in and do it."

"I think that’s everything. Figure out among yourselves who’s doing what and then we’ll get to work getting everything set up and ready to go. Got it?"
______________

So here is how this will work. Each task must have at least one of you assigned to it (apart from the two optional ones). Each one of you must do at least one, but some of you may do two. Multiple characters can perform the same task but Aid Another is not allowed. In addition to the listed skills, you can use Profession: Servant or another relevant skill check.

Security: Use Intimidate to break up arguments and keep guests in line.
Pouring Drinks: But make it entertaining. Sleight of hand.
Deliver Food: Make sure the right person gets the right meal. Diplomacy.
Feed & Tend the Animals: Self-explanatory. Handle Animal.
Translate for Guests (Optional): Linguistics.
Perform with the Bards (Optional): A Perform of your choice.

Please work out the distribution of jobs either here or over in Discussion, whichever is easiest. For the moment we'll just do one 'round' of checks. If you want to try a different task after everyone has had a go, we'll deal with that separately. You can also listen in on guests while you perform your tasks (extra Diplomacy check) to see what you can pick up in the way of small talk. Have fun and be creative; if you want to use a skill that isn't referenced above, give me a good RP case for and I just might let it work ;)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Elven Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 | HP 45/45 +6 temp | AC 18 Tch 14 FF 14 | F +5 R +9 W +5; +2 vs Enchantments | 18/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 17/50 CLW 27/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missile | Diviner’s Fortune 7/8 | Init +9 Perception +11 +5 eyes; +1 vs traps | Reroll 1/1 | PoP 1/1| Conditions: Arcane Bond used, Mage Armor, False Life

Iovo puts on an exaggerated pout, then says “Guess I will be stuck at the bar. I’m the only one who has gotten dwarven approval for my skills. It might be good to give me a briefing on the proper amount of head on a beer and such details.

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 4 | HP 32 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +6 | Ref +4 | Will +9 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +12

Hmm, this could be interesting, Garif thinks to himself as the venture-captain makes clear what his assignment will likely be. For all that Nico travels with me, I'm not especially good with animals. But it'll be better than me trying to sing...

I'll take the critter-wrangling gig, though my Handle Animal is only +4. Damn druid skill ranks and low Cha.

"I'll be managing whatever animal issues come up as best I can, Iovo," Garif tells the clever elf, "but I should have some time free to do a little quality control on your pours."

3,651 to 3,697 of 3,697 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Moar Core Tour All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.