Mummy's Mask

Game Master Samy

GM Samy's Mummy's Mask Campaign --- Day 26 --- Google Drive Folder --- Experience --- Treasure --- Relationships --- Maps (Empty Graves)
Panic Level: 13

Party Inits:
[dice=Initiative Aleris]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Deseri]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Harmose]1d20+11[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Kito]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Polux]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Qari]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Ra-Khefer]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Initiative Turel]1d20+2[/dice]

[dice=Perception Aleris]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Perception Deseri]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Perception Harmose]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Perception Kito]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Perception Polux]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Perception Qari]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Perception Ra-Khefer]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Perception Turel]1d20+9[/dice]


4,201 to 4,250 of 5,004 << first < prev | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Commoner 1

Maybe Deseri is just a mean drunk. :)

I'm gonna let Harmose and Kito get back from the con before pushing us on to Book 2. That's gonna open up with the auction where you will get to sell all your gear, so we'll actually get all the inventories and financials settled at that point.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

"Hells." Harmose reads the note from his mother. "Meehr, my mother and sister are arriving in full state to meet Aleris and pass judgment. Want to help me plan for their arrival? I'm going to need an awesome and devious friend in my corner!" He gives Meehr his most engaging smile. "C'mon, you know it'll be awesome!"

Relationship Rolls with my best friend, Meehr Zet:

Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Relationship: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Harmose:
Meehr +17 (!!) = 20 -->> 37
Devotion unlocked, 1600XP + further 1600XP for first NPC you unlock that level with.

You gain a roughly trait strength bonus for the Devotion level. Meehr's Devotion boon gives you: choose Knowledge (Engineering), Knowledge (Nobility) or Appraise. You gain +1 trait bonus and it is a class skill for you.

Meehr: "I'm not entirely sure what sort of a reception you want to plan for them. Should it involve an exciting but harmless kidnapping and being held in a cellar for a few days, or a series of pranks like a goo bucket over a doorway, or more along the lines of something blasé and sedate like a party?"

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Answering a few that I had missed, before the opening post for book 2.

Aleris, you receive no further information about the necromancer.

Deseri, Bentu passes away on Day 24 of the game, so towards the end of the downtime two weeks. Sehhosep is naturally grief-stricken and mostly incapable of functioning. Family friends and relatives drop by to deliver their condolences, bring food, help with cleaning and things like that, helping with the day-to-day running of things while Sehhosep is grieving. Bentu's body is moved to the Hall of Blessed Rebirth, the city's main medical facility. Farhaan offers you as much of a shoulder as you wish; he understands well that this can't be easy on you.

Kito, during your time with the Pharasmin expedition, the group establishes that something had been taken from the secret room where the ebbing magical aura was (and no longer is). The human-shaped effigy at the north end of the room has clear evidence upon its head signifying that something has been removed from its head.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Mummy's Mask Book 2: Empty Graves

Long version, direct excerpt from book:
As the adventure begins, the PCs have finished exploring their assigned tombs in Wati’s necropolis. While delving in the Sanctum of the Erudite Eye, the PCs likely encountered a group of rival adventurers called the Scorched Hand, and discovered that the temple’s innermost vault had already been plundered. But these things are perhaps of little concern at this point, burdened as the PCs are with magical trinkets, art objects, and valuable information on Wati’s past. The PCs are likely interested in exchanging their hard-won treasures for gold, but this has become a difficult prospect when so many local vendors have been flooded with priceless relics recovered from the necropolis. In fact, the price of historical artifacts and art objects has dropped so sharply from their sudden availability that merchants in Wati are currently paying only 25% of the value of most items (instead of the normal 50%), and 75% of the value for trade goods and other valuable items (rather than the usual full value).

Fortunately, the Grand Mausoleum of Pharasma has entered into an arrangement with the Canny Jackal, a prestigious auction house and art gallery located at the western edge of the Sunburst Market, to hold an auction where private collectors and other interested parties can bid on items recently brought out of the necropolis. The Grand Mausoleum is also suffering an embarrassment of riches, having spent the past several days accepting percentages of adventurers’ proceeds as payments for healing and magical services—and occasionally confiscating items from adventurers who didn’t show the proper respect to Wati’s honored dead. To serve the community, the Pharasmins have extended invitations to those explorers who participated in the necropolis exploration as well, in hopes of both keeping many of Wati’s treasures within the city by seeing them sold to local collectors and helping coin remain in the local economy.

Once the PCs have left the necropolis following the events in “The Half-Dead City,” they receive an invitation from a priest named Ptemenib at the Grand Mausoleum inviting them to the auctions at the Canny Jackal. If the PCs want to get full value for their loot, they’d be well advised to attend the auction—and they might even find some items to purchase as well as sell. Until the auction, no major events transpire that require the PCs’ attention, leaving them plenty of time to rest from their adventures and wrap up any loose ends from the previous adventure. If the PCs wish to investigate the guest list, they can do so easily. Ptemenib himself is difficult to contact—he’s busy with investigations for the church and is unavailable until the night of the auction.

Short version: Wati is clogged with artifacts because of the exploration and it's tough to get a decent price for anything you want to sell. The auction hopes to connect buyers with sellers for better terms of commerce.

Day 26: An Evening at The Canny Jackal

The Canny Jackal hosts many of Wati’s richest collectors and historians, from local nobles to representatives from An, Tephu, and even Sothis. Auctions traditionally begin an hour after sunset, with a complimentary reception beforehand for the attendees to mingle with one another and enjoy refreshments. This evening, the Jackal is offering cheese-stuffed figs, hard-boiled peacock eggs, onion bread, onion-stuffed squid, fresh and dried fruit, spiced wine, and a sampling of 2,000-year-old honey recovered from one of the tombs. By the time the PCs arrive, several noteworthy members of Wati society have already gathered, and more filter in as the night wears on. Two dozen attendees other eventually arrive besides the PCs.

I'm going to give you a day or so to give a flavor post entering the scene, before getting into the crunch-mechanics of the auction encounter.


Inactive

Having never been to a proper auction before, Aleris finds herself enjoying the jovial and humming atmosphere at the Canny Jackal that evening.

"Just look at all these people," she whispers to Deseri as they gaze around the crowded room. "I bet they came from all over just for this! And hey, maybe we'll get to see what some of the other groups found as well!" she adds, nudging her friend excitedly. She hoped that the auction would help take Deseri's mind off of the death of Bentu, at least for a little while.

"Speaking of the other groups, I wonder if anyone else is already here?" The sylph stands on tiptoe and looks around, trying to spot any familiar faces.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Aleris quickly spots the Four Lanterns. Not that spotting them required a 23, stealth is not one of their strengths. Aleris does not see any other familiar adventuring groups here.


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Slight correction to my previous post, it seems I missed one and have 7 influence. I'll blow as much of it as I can to prepare for the auction.

Downtime before the event

Each morning Kito begins her day by taking the time to cast identify twice, on two different items the group recovered. She explains to the others how she wouldn't want to miss something and potentially allow someone to become injured by her negligence. Occasionally there are cursed items that appear to be something other than they are.

That first day after the debriefing, Kito spends some time contacting many of the people she knows who may be interested in the items the group will be auctioning. She alerts them to the items that the group has found that may be of interest to them and answers any questions they may have about them.

Spend influence, Gather Information? I'm not sure exactly which is most appropriate. Feel free to bot the rolls with what you feel best. Spend Influence on it. The intent is to help the whole group get the best prices for our items by getting more bidders on them.

When the Pharasmin Expedition doesn't have need of her time, she spends her time either attempting to get more people interested in the finds Discovery Unlimited will be auctioning, trying to find items she might be interested in, or copying more of the papers she had been working on.

Bot the rolls for the auction activities, spending any remaining influence to aid. Some of it could be research to answer potential client questions. Take 10 on Linguistics when copying papers.

Kito's list, guessing it takes 1 day of downtime for this?
Pearl of Power using Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Cracked Magenta Prism Ioun Stone using Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Handy Haversack using Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

Plus any boost from influence.

Now

Remembering how she overate at the last fancy event, Kito decides to eat a meal before going to the auction.

She spends some extra time cleaning up and going through her notes, refreshing her memory on the details. She has Thera help with this, the little bird asking her questions from her notes.

Arriving at The Canny Jackal, she avoids the temptation of the refreshment table. Instead, she seeks to mingle among the various historians and checks with each of the guests she had previously met with to see if they have any last minute questions.


Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Turel arrives at the Canny Jackal along with his friends, glancing idly about at the various sites and sounds that surround him. Having little interest in the actual auction itself he sees this opportunity to broaden his horizon, so to speak.

"Yes, it will be interesting to see what occurs here with the auction. It seems the Ruby Prince has been vindicated at least when it relates to the economic impact." Turel comments to the others as his gaze travels over the crowd.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Harmose arrives at the Canny Jackal. Even for him, he's impeccably dressed in a rich embroidered silk shirt and pants. He glances around for anyone he might know here that might better give him the lowdown on how this Auction might work. He grins when he sees Aleris and Des in the distance, and waves to both of them.

Then he keeps scanning and mingling.

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 1 = 30
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

After glancing around for Meehr, he looks for the faces of others he knows. He's secretly hoping to see Khammayid Okhenti or Namaru Meshhoten. It would be nice to connect with both young people, and maybe even get them introduced to one another. However, these sorts of auctions draw all sorts of interesting people and Harmose is patient enough to look around and see who he finds.

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

During downtime Ra will, aside from socializing with Meehr, talk with Tarouk about heavier armor and possible adamantine earth breaker.

Entering the Canny Jackal, Ra removed his helm and rested it under his arm as he tugged at his collar. His old uniform was the closest thing he had to a formal dress occasion.
Pausing awkwardly, he looked about for where he should stand for the auction.


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

Only making it to the auction due to Farhaan reminding her. Tiredly wondering through town to find what is apparently a massive group of people relatively on time. Pleased that Farhaan made her brush her hair and wear clean clothing. I should do something nice for him. Tired eyes scan the room while her hands linger over her stomach.

Visibly startled by Aleris and nodding. Turing to look around for the rest of her companions. Sucking in a sharp breath at the sight of Harmose and tiredly waving back. Not knowing where to go Deseri stays very close to Aleris and Turel.


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Qari arrived later than the others, with a slightly dark tan to her skin, as compared to before the last few weeks. She had taken quite a keen to the outsides recently and had spent some time exploring the lands around the town. She had been so taken with her new hobby that she hadn't given much passing thought to the auction. Rather than looking for specific items, she would just watch everything closely and see if anything in particular jumped out at her. She had just had time to get back to her room, bathe, and put on her nice dress for the function.

She saw her team gathered and moved to their sides. "Anyone see anything good?

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

I'll save your Influence for a little later, Kito -- the price influencing will happen a few steps down the line.

Between Aleris, Turel and Harmose's 20+ Perception rolls, you have the important NPCs sussed out within the first half hour or so of being at the Canny Jackal, while most people are still working on their appetizers. The next step is getting to know them a little bit, because every significant NPC is looking for particular sorts of things at this auction.

The significant NPCs are named:
1) Baketra (female human)
2) Basif Iosep (male half-elf)
3) Djat Masakhet (male human) + Intef Karam (female human)
4) Four Lanterns (Andoren group)
5) Khammayid Okhenti (male human)
6) Manaat Heshwah (female human)
7) Maru + Namaru Meshhoten (female humans)
8) Menya the Whip (male human)
9) Ptemenib (male human)

There are enough insignificant NPCs welling about to make the crowd total two dozen or so, not counting your group.

Next, each of you, should you choose to accept your mission, gets to interact with one number on the above list -- Diplomacy roll. The better you roll, the more information you get out of them, that will help you get better prices further down the line, and you might get hints of other, unrelated things, happening in Wati too.

Pick a number, 1-9, and roll Diplomacy. If you hit DC 10, roll 1d6 as well, for a rumor that you hear from your target. If you hit DC 15, you may roll 2d6. DC 20, 3d6 and so on. One more d6 for each DC +5 more.

Numbers may be duplicated -- you may tag team one or more people onto a single target, but those who roll later will only get Aid Another rolls to help the first one to pick that target.

You may or may not get more than this one round of Diplomacy rolls, though, so tag teaming a single target may mean that another target goes entirely uninvestigated, so it's a balancing act.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Baketra DC 5:
One of Wati’s richest and most notorious gourmands, she’s keen to sample forgotten treats or liquors, or purchase ancient artwork to decorate her large dining room.

Basif Iosep DC 5:
A wealthy coffee merchant and avid document collector hoping to uncover records about his human heritage.

Djat Masakhet + Intef Karam DC 5:
Representatives of Wati’s temple of Nethys, the Sanctum of Silver and Gold, looking for unique magic items and lost temple records.

Four Lanterns DC 5:
A cocksure band of Andoren explorers who participated in the necropolis exploration, and now seek to sell their loot and buy masterwork equipment and practical magic items.

Khammayid Okhenti DC 5:
A young scion of the noble Okhenti family, newly returned from his studies in Oppara and eager to find expensive weapons to impress his family.

Manaat Heshwah DC 5:
The humorless representative of a Sothis trading house, keen on acquiring furniture, housewares, and pottery.

Maru + Namaru Meshhoten DC 5:
An aging dowager and her granddaughter, looking for jewelry, clothing, and scandalous books and scrolls.

Menya the Whip DC 5:
Rail-thin and with an iron handshake, this ambitious young armorsmith is attending the auction to network, though he’s also looking for a curious centerpiece for his new armor shop.

Ptemenib DC 5:
Polite but distracted, Ptemenib is attending the auction as the Grand Mausoleum’s representative. The priest has a tendency to talk to himself when no one is looking. He is here just as an observer, and is not here to buy anything, so a good roll with him won't help you with the prices down the line.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

The d6s that you roll, if any, are all counted separately, not totalled. Each die, according to the number rolled, unlocks one of the following rumors. If you roll the same number as someone else previously did, you hear the same rumor as that other person. If you roll the same number multiple times, you just keep hearing the same rumor over again -- you do not get a reroll for duplicate numbers. If a single PC gets multiple d6s with different numbers (by hitting DC 15+ and not rolling duplicates), they *can* unlock more than one rumor per PC. There are six rumors to unlock. Rumors may or may not be true.

Rumor 1:
“Rather nice to see the Pharasmins on board with this auction. At least we’ll know these relics are real. You can’t trust the veracity of just anything up for sale, no matter how old it looks. A group calling themselves the Silver Chain took me for a fortune on a ‘Second Age’ chest last year. It looked ancient enough, but it turned out the damned thing had only survived a house fire in An.”

Rumor 2:
“Naturally, the Okhentis will throw their vulgar coin at anything with a blade—if they haven’t already spent tonight’s share on companionship and liquor, of course.”

Rumor 3:
“It’s absolutely dreadful the way the church is opening our history to so many foreigners. I hear Haty-a Oshep Kahmed is going to increase taxes on travelers from beyond the sister cities to recoup the cultural damage.”

Rumor 4:
“Some of the adventurers who went into the necropolis didn’t fare so well, from what I hear. They say the Sunrise Fellows were betrayed by one of their own, and some shady lowlifes ambushed the Scorched Hand while they were trying to leave the necropolis.”

Rumor 5:
“Did you know that mumia can protect you against mummy rot? I’d never take the stuff myself—it’s made from actual mummies, you know, not to mention illegal—but I’m sure some of those adventuring types in the city these days don’t have such scruples.”

Rumor 6:
“I haven’t seen any of those fellows in the fancy gold masks tonight. My brother says he’s seen them running around the necropolis at all hours, but I suppose they’re not selling. A pity—they sounded delightfully exotic!”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Turel will concentrate his efforts on Ptemenib (male human) - #9 on the list.
Diplomacy DC 10: 1d20 ⇒ 1


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

Diplomacy on #5 Khammayid Okhenti (male human): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Rumor has it: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

Looking around and seeing everyone trying to socialize, which is a large part of what this auction seems to be about. Closing her eyes a for a moment and taking a deep breath. Turning in a random direction and one of the men that she saw Aleris, Turel and Harmose all at least spare more than a passing glance


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Harmose was looking for Khammayid, but saw that Deseri already had him eating out of the palm of her hand, so Harmose settled for giving his friend a friendly wave from across the room.

So he walked up to rescue Namaru Meshhoten from her Grandmother Maru Meshhoten.

Diplomacy, plus Meehr bonus: 10 + 13 + 1 = 24
Rumor Has It!: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 6) = 11

"My ladies! How are you? I see that you are beautiful, as always. Milady, Maru, would you mind horribly if I escorted Namaru around a bit? I was wondering if I could introduce her to some friends of mine..."

Harmose will share all rumors that he's found so far (1, 4, and 6) with his team.


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 +2 if this counts as Gather Information, Affable trait.
Rumors: 4d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 6, 1) = 13 Only rumor 5 is new. Kito is also happy to share what she learns with others on the team.

Kito goes over to talk with Basif Iosep (#2 on the list).

Learning of his interest in history and especially his own heritage, she is delighted to talk with him about some of the documents they had found in their search of the Necropolis. She points out that the tablet of languages lost could prove invaluable in deciphering some of the ancient records and spends some time telling him of some of the other things the group had found.

She is most distressed to hear of the Silver Chain creating fake antiquities. It angers her that someone would do such a thing. "Researching our past is difficult enough without people creating fake relics!"


Inactive

Seeing her family slowly begin to gravitate towards different people and engage in conversation, Aleris gazes around the crowded room for a moment before her eyes settle on one particular man standing nearby.

I think I heard someone say that he's called 'Menya the Whip'? Anyone with a name like that has to be someone worth talking to, at least for a little bit!

She makes her way over to the man and smiles. "Hi there! Here for the auction too? There's even more people here tonight than I'd expected. I'm Aleris and I'm with the group Discoveries Unlimited..."

Diplomacy (Menya the Whip): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Rumor Has It...: 4d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 5, 2) = 11 Based on the results of others, Rumor #3 is the only new one but it's also the last one we needed - Aleris shares it with the others.
______

After spending some time chatting with Menya, Aleris manages to catch everyone lingering close enough together that she's able to pass on the rumors and bits of gossip she'd overheard.

"Seems like there's a lot happening, even with the actual lottery finished," she concludes. "I wonder who the gold mask people are? I don't think we've seen anyone like that around the city, have we?"

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

With all rumors unlocked, there's no need for subsequent posts to roll the d6s anymore. Polux, Ra-Khefer and Qari will still want to roll Diplomacy though, as that will hopefully get information on prospective buyers.


Female Tiefling (Kyton-Spawn) HydroKineticist 4 | HP 39/41 | AC 15/13/12 | F+8,R+7,W+2 | Init. +3, Perception +7 | Darkvision 60' | +6 RTA on Cold Energy blast | + 4 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist hot conditions and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against fire

Qari approaches Baketra, introducing herself. "Hey there, I'm Qari. I was part of a group that found a few of these items! How are you? Have you ever participated in one of these auctions before?"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1

Ra looked around and attempted to get a sense of the other prospective buyers.
Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Polux may roll retroactively. Ra-Khefer will need to specify who he tries to investigate.

Turel - DC missed

Qari - Baketra
Kito - Iosep
Deseri - Khammayid
Harmose - the Meshhotens
Aleris - Menya

Ra-Khefer - unknown target
Polux - pending

Assuming that you share info, as you usually do, you may of course read the spoilers for Baketra, Iosep, Khammayid, the Meshhotens and Menya the Whip. You now know what sort of things they are looking for in this auction.

Turel tries to approach Ptemenib, the Pharasmin cleric organizing this thing, but the man seems preoccupied and difficult to approach. Turel doesn't manage to make heads or tails of Ptemenib.

Khammayid acts quite charmingly toward Deseri, offering to bring her food and drink and asking about her background. If her membership in Discoveries should come to light, Khammayid will mention talking to Harmose and Aleris back at the Okhenti party a couple of weeks ago. If Deseri reveals the recent death, Khammayid will become more somber and considerate and not try to push any discussion on Deseri. If she does not bring up Bentu's passing, Khammayid will ask, "Would you like to have dinner tomorrow night, perhaps?"

"Harmoshe!" the younger Namaru giggles as Harmose approaches the Meshhotens. "It'sssssh shhho nishhhe to shhee youu!" She stumbles a little, and slumps against Harmose drunkenly unless he dodges her. "Like I wasshh...telling my grandmother...jusssht a little tipssshy...not much! Right?!" If Harmose allowed Namaru to collapse all over him, he'll find that Namaru's legs seem like well cooked pasta.

Basif Iosep seems very well interested in the tablet that Kito tries to advertise to him. "I know, right!" he commiserates emphatically when Kito brings up the Silver Chain fakeries. "So your group is placing the tablet up for auction tonight, hm? I will make sure to keep an eye out for it. Thank you for the tip!"

"I think I've heard of your group", Menya nods when Aleris introduces herself. "Do you have a heavily armored giant dwarf or something?"

The gourmand Baketra chats happily with Qari for a while. "Honestly, I can't say I've attended an auction quite like this before. There's such an abundance of relics that has come out of the Necropolis due to the Ruby Prince's decree...it's like several museums all put together. Sadly, I'm not sure there's much here that appeals to my special interests..."

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Next, we're going to get into the actual auctioning. This is the part that will require you to actually go over the treasure list and make the final decisions on what you want to sell.

You do not need to sell every item one by one -- that would be highly tedious! Instead, you may assemble lots of up to 10 items each. (What counts as one item = one line on the treasure list.) Then you try to push that lot onto specific NPCs with Diplomacy/Bluff rolls. The more NPCs you successfully Diplomacy/Bluff, the higher it will drive the price for that lot.

If you successfully Diplomacy/Bluff (for a single lot):
0 NPCs = that lot sells for 90% of the treasure list value
1 NPC = the lot sells for 100% of the value
2 or more NPCs = each successful NPC beyond the first adds 5% more

The Diplomacy/Bluff thresholds to hit are 20/25/30, depending on whether the target NPC is highly/tangentially/not interested in the type of product in that lot, plus a cumulative +2 for NPCs beyond the first. The type of product in the lot is determined by at least half the gp value of that lot. For example, you could have a lot that has a 2000gp sword and 1900gp worth of 9 other things, and it would count as highly interested for Khammayid, who you know is looking for expensive weapons.

This is complicated stuff, so here's an example.

Let's take the above lot that has a 2000gp sword and 9 other items totalling 1900gp. You first try to Diplomacy/Bluff Khammayid; for him, the DC is 20 because he's highly interested in expensive weapons. Then you try to get Menya interested too, because he's an armorsmith and armors and weapons could be considered tangentially related. Because he's not *highly* interested, Menya's Diplomacy/Bluff DC would be 25, +2 for being the second NPC you try to get interested in the lot. You could also try to get Baketra interested, but because she's looking for comestibles or artwork, her DC would be 30 +4 for being the third NPC.

You could fail all three rolls, in which case you would get 90% of the 3900gp value (3510gp), you could succeed at one of them (doesn't matter which) which would give you the full 3900gp, you could succeed at two for 4095gp or all three for 4290gp.

You can do as many lots as you like, up to and until you run out of stuff to sell. All the rest that you want to sell will automatically bring in 90%, so if you would rather not do this minigame at all, you can just skip it and sell everything directly at 90%.

Let's have any potential lot listings and rolls in this thread, and discussion in the discussion thread.

Scarab Sages

M Oread Fighter (Unbreakable) L4 | AC20 (T10FF20) CMD 18 (20 vs. bull rush) | hp 48/52 | Saves F7R1W1 | Percep +0 | Init: +0 | Status: Infected Con-1, Cha-1
Me wrote:

Ra looked around and attempted to get a sense of the other prospective buyers.

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

I would approach Ptemenib.


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

More than willing to continue talking with Khammayid. Freely talking about her time with Discovery's Unlimited and how kind they are while avoiding any alcohol. Though stalwartly avoiding any topic outside of the tombs and the wonderful group she is with.

Blushing at the request, "I might be able to do that I have ave not had a lot of free time lately. You could tell me more about this Oppara that you visited." I just cannot crawl into bed with him pretty as he is. But allies could be really useful. Harmose has some connections with the apparent ruling class.

Diplomacy to try and get money: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

Ok peoples, I have caught up on my reading - post incoming.


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

--Arriving at the Canny Jackal--

Polux felt somewhat in his environment - even though most of the present personalities were not much more than 'fops' in his book, this was all about bartering, buying and selling, and that was something he had learned to enjoy since his early years of living in the streets.

He took the room in, then first headed past by his friend's group - "Evening guys, just to let you know I am hitting the tables and getting something to eat" - he commented with a smile, giving it a few seconds to wait if anyone wished to join him.

Without hesitation, he started by tasting the 2.000 year old honey, something absolutely unique from his perspective (regretting he couldn't take a sample), then proceeded with a first, and then a second glass of spiced wine as he picked at the cheese-stuffed figs and hard-boiled peacock eggs.

Taking another survey of the room, he decided to give some berth to the Four Lanterns - he had the feeling if they so much as looked at him the wrong way, they would have a problem in their hands. Another perusal of the room had him wandering towards Djat Masakhet and Intef Karam - it was funny how much Velriana was still in his thoughts, he realized as he addressed them in a polite but informal way.

Diplomacy Four Lanterns: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 <- Samy, I am using my Investigator Ceaseless Observation (Ex) for this one, to gather information, is it correct?

"I am Polux, one of the many who have been tasked to explore the Necropolis" - he nods as the conversation goes on - "Believe me, there are many an interesting manuscripts and magic in the items retrieved, as you will surely realize as the auction proceeds"

'some shady lowlifes ambushed the Scorched Hand while they were trying to leave the necropolis' - this one made me laugh so hard :D

I am going over the loot list one last time as suggested by Samy - how are we going to do this?


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Our first lot comes up for bid

Lot 1, 220gp

Mostly weapons.:

masterwork khopesh, scale mail, light crossbow, explorer's outfit, kukri, daggers (2), chakrams (3), cold iron bolts (5), backpack, dagger, backpack, bolts (10), 10 bolts

For Lot 1, Khammayid and Four Lanterns are highly interested, so the lowest DC 20 (plus cumulative +2 for non-first targets). Menya is mildly interested in Lot 1 for the base DC 25.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

Thank you for doing the legwork, Kito.

At this point, anyone may post a Diplomacy/Bluff roll. What is needed:

* Which target you are going for (Khammayid, Lanterns, Menya, or eschewing suggestions entirely and going for a fourth individual altogether)
* Whether that target is the first, second or third target of your group (the first one to post about a given target gets to decide, and "lock in" the ordinal number of that target, subsequent posters have to abide by that).
* Whether you are doing a base roll or Aid Another.

We can do the first/second/third simultaneously for the sake of convenience, we don't need to wait for the first attempt to go entirely before moving on to the second (although you may do so if you wish). Just be sure to specify first/second/third in your post if you are the first one to target a given NPC.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Okay, I am going to follow Kito's tactics here, and go second, allowing Deseri to sweet talk (bluff) Menya the whip first.

"Khammayid!" Harmose comes up to the young nobleman, and pats him on the back. "How are you?"

Too bad Namaru is so drunk tonight... There's no way I'm going to introduce her to Khammayid in that state. Besides... Harmose follows Khammayid's gaze.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

...He has eyes on someone else. And who could blame him? Des sparkles like the sun, outshining everyone but my Aleris.

"Thank you so much for that time talking in your private garden that night." Harmose says earnestly. "I really enjoyed meeting you, and so did Aleris! I see you've been using your time profitably here, examining one of the most gorgeous structures in Wati." Harmose nods in Des's direction and grins. "I can't fault your taste, man!"

Then Harmose leans in. "Speaking of which.. can you do me a favor?" Harmose points to where the Four Lanterns are once again, getting drunk and making a scene. "See those guys over there? They're asshats. They went and humiliated Des's friend, Qari, just because she has a tail, and they've tried to slobber all over Des too." Harmose's face darkens as he retells the names they called Qari, and how the Lanterns taunted her. "I cannot stand the idea of selling the khopesh we found in Lot One to those jerks, but they keep throwing their money around like they own the place. I'd rather the fine weaponry we found go to a class act, and I bet it would impress the hell out of Des if you showed them up in the auction."

Harmose shows the blade to Khammayid. "All of the weapons in this lot are good, but this one has excellent provenance." Harmose tells the story of how they found it in Akhentepi's tomb. "Beautiful, isn't it? Khopesh is the chosen weapon of Horus, the one that he used to chase Set from our lands. What better weapon than this to symbolize our common Osiriani heritage and pride?"

Diplomacy Take Ten per Kito's Request: 10 + 13 = 23


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Inactive

Although she remembered how mean the Four Lanterns had been to Qari some weeks ago and their outrageous behavior at the party they'd all recently attended, Aleris can't help but be a forgiving sort.

If they act like that all the time then they've probably not got many people to rely on besides themselves...how sad. But they won't learn any better if no one tries to give them a chance and show them a better way. And no one can try to show them a better way if they're dead...

Her mind made up, Aleris 'wanders' over to where the rowdy bunch is congregated, under the pretense of simply looking around and enjoying the atmosphere. Noting that they're already hitting the bottle hard, she formulates her strategy...

"Hey...you boys like swords, right?" she grins. "And other fine pieces of weaponry? I thought you might, you all look like you know the value of a well-crafted piece of metal."

Leaning in close, she lowers her voice. "We've got a lot of weapons coming up on the block soon - good, strong stuff. A fine khopesh we found in the tomb of a famous general and even some bolts made out of cold iron - great if you run across fey or even certain creatures from other planes! I bet they'd serve you guys well - after all, you want to be prepared to fight hard so you can come back alive and uh...party hard, right? Keep it mind!" she whispers. Then with a smile, she pats one of them on the shoulder and 'wanders' off.

Diplomacy (Bid on the Shinies): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

I wanted to channel Harmose's charm, but I think I got a little of Ra-Khefer in there too...oh well, as long as it piqued their interest then it's all good!

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1

It's unclear whether Aleris went for the Four Lanterns in the #1 order or the #3 order. I'm going to assume she follows Kito's plan and goes for the Lanterns as #3, but remember in the future to always specify order, because it affects the DC. In this case the Lanterns would have been DC 20 in the #1 spot, but DC 24 in the #3 spot, so with a roll of 25 Aleris hits the DC either way, but the exact DC to hit can matter a lot in future lots.

Between Harmose and Aleris, the DCs for Khammayid and the Four Lanterns have been hit, so the rest of you can all feel free to pile on to Menya the Whip.

First: Menya (DC 25, still open)
Second: Khammayid (DC 22, completed by Harmose)
Third: Four Lanterns (DC 24, completed by Aleris)

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Commoner 1

Khammayid spends quite a bit of attention on Deseri. "I would love to tell you all about Oppara. I assume you've never been there? Oh, it's a beautiful city, full of amazing architecture. It's a river city, much like Wati, on the shore of Taldor's River Porthmos. But it's built on these big cliffs called the Black Cliffs, and there's a massive bridge, called the 'Grand Bridge of the Empire', that spans the river -- it's huge, and gorgeous. Although", he smiles at Deseri, "I've seen more gorgeous things."

When Harmose takes a turn with Khammayid, the nobleman smiles and claps a hand onto Harmose's shoulder. "It's such a pleasure to see you again." He raises an eyebrow at Harmose's intimation about Deseri and smiles innocently. "I have no idea what you're talking about. None whatsoever." When Harmose talks about the Four Lanterns, Khammayid's face darkens, and he nods as he listens attentively. "Oh, it would be my pleasure to outbid those morons. It incenses me the thought of our national treasures going to Andoran in the first place, not to mention being manhandled by a group that might just use them to unclog a privy or something."

DING, Khammayid DC unlocked!

Aleris' interaction with the Four Lanterns goes wonderfully, and they're soon hanging on her every word once she tips them off about the fine khopesh. "Oh honey, I'd like to show you a well-crafted piece of metal...!" one of them grins and waggles his eyebrows crudely at the sylph. "Perhaps you'd like to show us how smoothly the swords slide into their sheaths?" another one comments with a crooked grin. So Aleris is probably happy to move on from them, but you can count on the fact that the lot that Aleris advertised has most certainly stuck in the Four Lanterns' memories...although perhaps not as well as the advertiser.

DING, Four Lanterns DC unlocked!


Spells left 1st (6/6) 2nd (4/4) Aasimar (native outsider) Oracle (Seer) Lvl 4/ hp 32-38 Init +2/ Per +3/ darkvision 60ft/ CMB +4, CMD 16, Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3; (+2 vs curses)/ hp 38/ 5 resist vs acid, cold, & electricity/ Active conditions:

Smiling at Khammayid and shaking her head no at the question. Not one to break eye contact at flattery but blushing all the same. "You are to kind Khammayid. And no I have never left Osirion and Wati is the first city I have ever been in."

More than willing to bow out of the conversation since if she and Harmose remained there is no telling what could happen and there is a reasons she is here. Smiling at Khammayid, "I will come find you after the auction." Distracted from her grief and feeling much better about herself after the flattery puts a swivel in her hips.

Wondering around the room for a little while and grinning when she spots Menya the whip. He makes armor. I need armor and we have that ugly set of lizard armor Kito wants to sell. Sauntering over to Menya the Whip with a smile, "You are Menya the whip aren't you? My friend Aleris mentioned you were here and that not only are you looking for armor but you are a crafter as well."

Offering her hand in greeting, "I am in need of some armor for myself, something light but more durable than the padded stuff I was wearing while we were exploring. Would I be able to visit your shop later?"

Grinning and running her hand over her head a little self consciously, "So that cannot be what you are here for, I am told I tend to ramble and that I might be a little selfish, but don't tell the pretty woman with the glasses." Pointing over at Kito and then turning back to Menya, "Are you looking for armor? Because we did happen to find a beautiful set while we were exploring those tombs that is up for auction. It has these stunning scales all over it, like a snake."

Looking Menya over, "You would look rather dashing in it actually."

My bluff with taking a 20 is a 21 if this is a belivable lie since Deseri thinks the armor is ugly and really doesn't care about it, Bluffing is rather like embellishing in this instance. Anyone is free to join in.


Female Thrush

I think Des meant taking 10 gives a 21.

When she sees Deseri pointing towards them, Thera nudges Kito. She then patiently points her beak back towards Deseri.

This should be interesting. I know Mistress has no talent for deception, but perhaps we can make it look like she is supporting whatever her friend is doing.


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Aid Another, Des with Bluff: 1d20 ⇒ 8 Fail, Des is still at a 21.

When Thera gets her attention, Kito mistakenly thinks the small bird wants a snack. She remains oblivious to the fact that Deseri is pointing her out to Menya.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Turel watches Aleris closely, noting the overtures made on her by the Four Lanterns, glancing over to Harmose briefly.

Just give the word Brother...

He notes the flirtation between Deseri and Khammayid with a stoic expression, and once Deseri has finished he moves up next to her and addresses Menya, "As a true warrior, I take the measure of my opponent by what covers his body. In a battle of life and death every edge plays a crucial role. This armor would give your enemy pause, enough to turn the tide in your favor."

Bluff, Aid Another (Deseri): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 This should get Deseri to 23.


HP: 48/48 || AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex) || Inspiration (+1d6, 6/day) || Init +3
Current Status:
HP: 45/48 // AC: 23 = 17[Regular] + 2 [Natural AC from Mutagen] + 4 [Shield Extract] or 25 (assuming Prot Evil) // Effects: // Inspiration left: 5/6

Piling on Menya you said? :D

As the auction goes on, Polux wanders closer to Deseri... Huh... Menya...

"I will accompany you to Menya's if you don't mind Des - I have been there before and the items I purchased therein where top grade" - he raises his glass in a compliment - "Scale mail is not a common piece of armor to be found - might make for a nice 'something' to evidence a shop building its reputation also" - he nods.

Bluff Aid Deseri: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

Hehehehehe 25 DONE! One question: why are we not using Diplo?

EDIT: Turel NINJA!

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Commoner 1
Polux wrote:
Hehehehehe 25 DONE! One question: why are we not using Diplo?

I think it's because Deseri was the starter, and she had better Bluff, and Aid Another requires that aiders use the same skill -- I think? Didn't actually check that.

Menya's DC unlocked! You will now get 110% of the lot's value (100% for the first DC hit, +5% for the second and third each). I'll make a fuller post later today. But this should now give you an idea of how the system will go.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Commoner 1

Discoveries Unlimited's first lot goes on sale. The auctioneer describes and shows off all ten items in front of the room, extolling the virtues of each and every item beyond all realistic bound like a carnival barker, going on for several minutes about the buttons on the explorer's outfit and how the chakram is a cool weapon because it's the signature weapon of a dark-haired lady warrior of legend. A number of bidders get interested in the lot, among them those that you have worked hard on persuading. Menya the Whip, Khammayid and the Four Lanterns all keep outbidding each other. The lot was appraised at 220gp, but at the end of shouting, when all is said and done, it goes well above that price. "Going once, going twice, going thrice -- SOLD to Khammayid Okhenti for 242 gold pieces!"

You may now post Lot 2, and optionally Lot 3.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Inactive

"Sorry guys, I'm afraid I'm already spoken for," Aleris responds to the Four Lanterns' flirtations with a more genial manner than she really feels. "But I'm sure there are plenty of ladies here tonight that would love to take you up on that offer," she adds as she quickly hurries back to Harmose and the others. At least she feels a small sense of accomplishment later when it turns out that her efforts helped to drive the bidding up on the group's first lot of items.


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Our second and third lots come up for bid

Lot 2, 205 gp

gems and jewelry:

assortment of gems, Akhentepi's chariot, gold scarab clasp, silver tray, turquoise earring.

For Lot 2, the Meshhotens are highly interested (base DC 20) and Manaat is mildly interested (base DC 25).

Lot 3, 200 gp

Minor Magic:

scroll of burning hands (CL 2nd), scroll of shocking grasp (CL 2nd), scroll of magic weapon, holy water (2), scroll of charm person, scroll of magic missile

For Lot 3, the Four Lanterns are highly interested (20), Masakhet/Karam are mildly interested (25) and Heshwah is not interested at all (30).


Inactive

Lot #2 - First Action

Thrilled with the success the group had had in generating interest for their first lot Aleris eagerly takes to the floor once again, ready to drum up more interest. She'd noted that the woman named Manaat had raised an eyebrow in curiosity when they'd brought Akhentepi's chariot in earlier and so she heads over to her now.

"Hello! Are you enjoying the auction?" she asks. "This is the first time I've ever participated in one and it's been more exciting than I would've thought!"

She gives Manaat a side-long look. "You know, I noticed you seemed curious about the chariot that some of the workers brought in earlier. My group actually found it - it once belonged to a famous general named Akhentepi. It must've been a very special piece to him, for him to request it be taken down into his tomb piece by piece and then put back together. We had to climb down a 60 foot shaft just to access the tomb itself, you know! So when I say that they went to a lot of trouble to get it down there, I'm really not joking at all."

"Anyway...it's in pristine condition and I bet it would make for a wonderfully eccentric bit of decoration in someone's home or business..." she smiles.

Diplomacy (Manaat; Bid on the Shinies): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
______

Lot #3 - First Action

After having spoken with Manaat, Aleris meanders on through the crowd until the spots Masakhet and Karam, the two representatives from the temple of Nethys. Even though she knew that their third lot didn't really contain anything unique, magic was still magic.

"Hi there," Aleris smiles. "You're from the temple of Nethys, right? I'm Aleris, part of the group Discoveries Unlimited. I heard you like magic...so I wanted to make mention of an upcoming lot from my group that contains several magical scrolls and a few vials of holy water. Now I know that it may not sound like much but magic is magic...and you know, I'd heard that those Four Lanterns were very interested in them too. Do you think they'd be able to really appreciate the beauty of the magic that they're looking to acquire?" She shakes her head. "Of course not! To them the scrolls would just be simple tools, a means to an end. Better that they go to people who have a better appreciation for their value, no?"

Diplomacy (Masakhet & Karam; Bid on the Shinies): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
______

Okay so we should be able to meet the DC 25 for Manaat on Lot #2 with two people making successful Aid Another checks for Diplomacy. However on Lot #3 with the Nethys folks it looks like Kito will need to see if she can make a better initial check.


Resources:
Ki Pool 5/5
Male (Garundi) Human Monk 4 (Terra-Cotta) AL LG | HP 30/30 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +5 | R +6 | W +7 | +1 trait bonus vs. divine magic. | Init +2 | Per +11 [Trap Intuition +2/+4 if stone]

Turel nods in agreement with Aleris. "As one who witnesses the remarkable site with mine own eyes, I swear upon my honor it was truly a unique and valuable work of engineering!"

Diplomacy (Manaat; Aid Another Aleris): 1d20 ⇒ 17


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Lot 2

Passing by, Kito notes to Nanaat "Keep in mind that the items come from three different sites. Although the scarab clasp is from Akhentepi's tomb, the silver tray and earring are from The House of Penthuru. We have labeled exactly where each of the historic items were found."

Aid Another, Aleris Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 That brings the total to 26. Success!

Lot 3

While Aleris is talking with Masakhet, Kito mentions to Karam "Did you know we recovered all the scrolls in this lot at the same place as the holy water? I mention it because of the symbol of Nethys adorning the blessed water."

She leaves Karam to discuss that detail with Masakhet.

Diplomacy #1, Masakhet and Karam: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 This will be a challenge. We need 3 successful Aid Another checks.


Male Human (Keleshite) Undead Tattooed Sorcerer 3 / Heavens Oracle 1 | 21/21 HP | AC 13 T12 FF 11 | CMD 11 | F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 Circumstance vs Death Effects) | Init +11 | Per +10, SM +2 | Speed 30 ft | Arcane Spell 7/7; Divine Spells 5/5 | Active Conditions: Good Cop, Bad Cop or Awesome Cop?

Harmose hears Kito's plan for him, broodingly. He cannot stand the Four Lanterns. They're a~&##$%s and jerks. He just saw them making catcalls at his Aleris. Why does Kito want me to talk to those idiots? Do we even need their money? I want NOTHING to do with them. He clenches and unclenches his fists.

LOT TWO - NAMARU MESHHOTEN

He find Namaru again, bringing her a strong yet sweet iced coffee and a tray of wholesome party food from the buffet. Whole grain pitas. Olives. Falafel balls. He gently guides the drunk girl to a couch, half carrying her as she clings to him. "Namaru, can we talk? First, though, have some food. Have a little coffee. Come on, my friend, you can do this."

He eats and drinks with her, trying to help her sober up a little. "Namaru, you are attractive. Funny. Smart. But this is the second time that I've seen you inebriated like this at a party. You're not just tipsy, you're blotto." He speaks gently, trying to make her understand. "So what I want to know is.... Why are you doing this to yourself? Is it to piss off your grandmother? To interfere with her plans to marry you off to the first noble title she finds?" He squeezes her hand. "If so, I understand what you are going through. I've rebelled against my parents all my life. I did stupid self-destructive stuff throughout my early teens. There are better ways to rebel than hiding at the bottom of a bottle!"

He casts enhanced diplomacy, hoping his words will sink in. "You're a beautiful person who deserves good people and nice friends in your life. I want to intoduce you to all my friends, and connect you with people who will appreciate you. But for that, I want them to meet the real Namaru, and not that drunk you conjure from the bottle."

He takes her for a walk. "There are other ways to gain confidence. Me? I like to wear pretty things to scream my defiance at the world." Harmose picks up a necklace from Lot 2 and models it. "Is it me?" He bats his eyelashes, and then says, "No, I think it is better on you. See?"

Diplomacy, Enhanced + Charisma Check Bonus from Meehr: 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 13 + 2 + 1 = 30

LOT THREE -- A CHANGE OF PLAN

Harmose attempts to walk over to the Four Lanterns three times. But each time he hears them making crude remarks about Des & Aleris, and his fury gets in the way. He wants to. Kick their asses, not cajole them into buying stuff. So he walks right past them.

And looks over at the much more palatable Heshwah. It's a long shot.... He casts enhance diplomacy and walks over.

"Hello, Heshwah is it? My name is Harmose." Harmose smiles at her. "My team wants me to talk to those jerks over there," Harmose indicates the Four Lanterns, "who just insulted my girlfriend, Aleris. I am supposed to get them interested in bidding on Lot 3, but I'm afraid that if I go over there without calming down, I'll punch them out. They could totally take me in a brawl, so that would likely end badly for me. Would you be willing to save me from making a poor life choice? Help me practice my spiel? Maybe if I practice it, I could walk over and do my part without doing something horribly romantic and incredibly dumb." He flashes her a self-deprecating smile, and launches into a canned speech on the merits of the contents of Lot 3. Along the way, he accepts Heshwah's feedback and suggestions, letting her come up with a bunch of reasons why Lot 3 is a must purchase for herself.

Diplomacy, Enhanced + Charisma Check Bonus from Meehr: 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 13 + 2 + 1 = 31

____
Sorry Kito. I just could not follow your plan on this one! Harmose would not do it!


Female Human NG Witch 4 | Wand CLW 2/50 | HP 23/23 | AC 14 Tch 10 Fl 14 | CMB +2 CMD +12 | F +3 R +1 W +4 +1 vs fire +4 heat | Init +0 | Perc +1, +2 when Thera near | Speed 30 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Since we didn't follow the plan, a brief OOC review might be appropriate.

Lot 2:
First was Mannat. Needed a 25. Aleris got a 22 + 2 from Turel + 2 from Kito = 26. Success.
Second was the Meshhotens. Needed a 22. Harmose got 30, Success.
We don't know of anyone else interested. If someone just wants to try someone, they can.
Best case it would require a 24, worst case a 34.
You can try with any of the other people EXCEPT Ptemenib. We know that Ptemenib will not buy regardless of what we do.

Lot 3:
First was Masakhet and Karam. Needed a 25.
Aleris didn't connect with them, got a 12.
Kito did a little better, got a 19.
We would need another 3 successful aids to get them to bid.
Second was Heshwah. Needed a 32.
Harmose got a 31.
We can get them to bid if anyone can Aid Another Harmose's attempt.
After that we either need someone to successfully get a 24 with the Four Lanterns or three people to help Kito.
Corrections welcome!

Kito doesn't realize what is happening until it is too late. Harmose had wandered in the direction of The Four Lanterns, but when she looked over after talking with Karam she saw Harmose talking with Meshwaw instead!

What is he doing? Our information was they really weren't interested in that lot!

4,201 to 4,250 of 5,004 << first < prev | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Samy's Mummy's Mask Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.