Freedom is Everything: GM Vera's Kingmaker

Game Master El Ronza



~Desnus 9th~

As the sun rises over the plains, Banith wakes the party, one by one, before tending to the horses. Grigori snorts and jerks his head away from the elf, while Susan playfully nudges the back of his knees with his nose. Perlivash sneezes, a small cloud of fuchsia dust flying from his nostrils, and kicks Djedefre in the shoulder as he wakes, unfurling, cat-like, from his stupor. Tyg-Titter-Tut yawns and stretches, hopping down from her perch on Quill's head.

If I put up a spoiler tag like this, you can look inside only if you make the skill check required.

DC 10 Knowledge (nature):
Today's weather will be normal - a high of eleven degrees, winds of 5 kph.

DC 15:
As above - however, there are signs of rain tomorrow.

Camp is broken, breakfast is eaten, and the group is faced with the decision of where to go next.

What do?


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Gogeth stretches tall as he shakes of the weariness of last night's sleep. He looks about to find Elena.

Good Morn Elena, would you join me in my morning prayers, then perhaps we can tend to the horses after?

Gogeth cocks his head towards banith Perhaps the elf could find us some breakfast?

Know Nature Untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 11

should be a nice enough day Gogeth says to no one in particular


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

oops didnt read the bit after the spoilers about camp is broken and breakfast is eaten lol

have we fully explored the current hex yet or did we stop after the specters?

-Posted with Wayfinder


In all honesty, I can't remember. So let's say you've explored this one fully, and have a choice on where to go next. =)


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Standing next to Susan and looking through her pack, Mira pulls out the Map.

So East and North East need exploring. We know a little about the area directly East but nothing North East, Hmmmm.

So we can head East or North East today. East we have some idea of what is there, Giant frogs and mud ponds. North East we have no idea about though. I don't care which way we go as we'll be going to the other right after that. So vote? This being put to the entire party

Knowledge: Nature Untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Into the unknown then! i say


NPCing those who aren't here.

GM screen:

1d100 ⇒ 10
1d100 ⇒ 66
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19

Gogeth's perception: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Mira's perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Elena's perception: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Djedefre's perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Banith's perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Perlivash's perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Tyg-Titter-Tut's perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Djedefre and Elena agree with Gogeth, and the party heads northeast - or, "into the unknown" as the paladin puts it.

The wind sways the tall grasses of the plains, and Perlivash occasionally swoops from his perch on Djedefre's shoulder to fly across the tops, allowing the strands to tickle his belly. There is no sound spare the gentle rustle of grass, the giggles from the fey, the movement of the horses, and Elena's humming.

Riding ahead, eyes fized on the horizon, Banith suddenly halts his horse, holding up one hand for the others to follow suit. He draws his bow silently, as if expecting something, and his prudence is rewarded as a tatzlwyrm leaps from the grass, serpentine tail forcing it forward as it lunges at the elf.

Gogeth initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Mira initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Elena initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Djedefre initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Banith initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Tatzlwyrm initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

GM screen:

Banith attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Tatzlwyrm bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Tatzlwyrm: 9 pts

Surprise round!

As the Tatzlwyrm lunges at him, Banith fires an arrow, catching the creature in the shoulder and drawing a screech from it. It retaliates by biting at his shoulder, but the elf proves too nimble for it, and the creature lands on the ground next to his horse.

Party up! Everyone but Gogeth can move. I'll use group initiative, so actions will be resolved in order of posting. No map for this, but you're all mounted, as fairly close to each other. The tatzlwyrm is at Banith's right side.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Susan, SUSAN I have to calm him before we deal with the Tatzlwyrm

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

While calming the agitated Susan using coos and patting his neck, Mira yells to the party as she starts to move Susan away from the danger "We need it's head, be careful and may Lady Luck favor us".


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Great initiative roll for me there ronnie :P any way on my turn assuming the wyrm is still alive i'll charge with my lance

Lim Rears are gogeth spurs him forward into a charge towards the fowl beast, both rider and horse eyes burn and nostrils flare as battle is met.

Charge!: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Lance Damage: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (8, 4) + 8 = 20


I'll give Djedefre until tonight to post, then we'll move on.


Moving on.

Mira spends some time calming Susan and drawing him away from the tatzlwyrm. Djedefre takes a jab at the creature, but fails to land a blow amongst its sinuous twining. Pulling alongside, Elena doesn't fare much better, her rapier glancing off the dragon's hide.

Banith takes aim again, and manages to pierce the hide, but it appears to be little more than a flesh wound. The tatzlwyrm takes advantage of the opening the archer's shot provides it, but gets no more than a mouthful of boot for its trouble. Gathering itself, it takes another bite, this time piercing the flesh of his horse's flank.

Gogeth spurs Lim into action, charging at the beast, lance pointed at its heart. The dragon barely has time to turn its yellow eyes to the paladin, before the shaft pierces its ribs, snuffing out its life in one blow.

COMBAT OVER.

GM screen:

Djedefre attack: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Elena attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Banith attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Tatzlwyrm AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Tatzlwyrm attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

With Morningstar drawn Mira charges running towards the party, seeing the calm reactions of the group she slows but still on guard

What did I miss?


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Gogeth lifts the lifeless corpse of the tatzlwyrm up on the end of his lance and nods towards Mira

Nothing much just a over sized carpet python Gogeth's grin streches from ear to ear

now who is going to carry the head

Gogeth jumps down from his mount and draws his Dwarven Battle Axe and in a single chop, removes the creatures head from its body.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

You then.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Bah! fine! but im going to tie it up so it stares at you while we ride Gogeth says with a grin

Shall we continue then?

lets keep moving to explore the next hex


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

I'm good with that.


GM screen:

1d100 ⇒ 59

Gogeth easily cleaves the dragon's head from its thin shoulders, and ties the grisly trophy to the back of Lim's saddle. It stays there, eyes lolling, but probably won't remain fresh for very long.

As the group continues their exploration, with Mira mapping out the area as best she can from horseback, the long grass gives way to short, and rocks speckle the plain. Swooping ahead, Perlivash announces that one looks like a prairie dog. Tyg makes an offhanded comment about him needing to not drink so much of the Biggenses' drinks, to which the small dragon blows a raspberry.

As the group progresses, however, it becomes more and more apparent that the rocks are strange. Here, one shaped like a wild pig. Another, shaped as a butterfly. A third, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a large snake - this one with deep gouges in it.

Nevertheless, there is a safe place to camp... If the party decides to do so in such an eerie place.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Gogeth dismounts and inspects the rocks shaped like animals, being a dwarf he has an affinity with stone and he inspects stone animals for signs that they were carved into this shape.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 this includes +2 from stone cunning if applicable


Gogeth:

While having some racial affinity with stone, you aren't entirely certain about these rocks. You can't see any telltale tool marks, but with the environmental weathering, it's hard to say for sure.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

there are no tell tale signs of tool marks, but being out in the open like this can some times weather away tool marks

Gogeth spends several minutes concentrating trying to detect any signs of evil in a 60ft radius of the group.


Gogeth:

You detect no evil within 60 feet of the party, in any direction.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Mira rides over to Djedefre remind me to preserve the head tomorrow, okay.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

"I dont detect any evil near by" gogeth said as he studies his surronds.

"im interested to see what may be causing this, lets set up camp tonight and see if anything shows up"

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

It's certainly interesting. I think that we should play it safe though and be prepared.


So to clarify - are you setting up camp here tonight? I think that's a firm 'yes' from Gogeth, but I'm less clear on Mira's thoughts.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

I think thats a yes, but we are being cautious, maybe setting up a watch in pairs?


Propose a watch order, and I'll roll with it. There's the four of you, plus Banith, plus your two fey buddies.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

how about, Mira and Elena take first watch, Banith and I take second watch and DJedfre and the 2 Fey take 3rd watch?


Looks good to me. Let's go with that.

GM screen:

What's cookin'?: 1d100 ⇒ 87

My eyes: 1d100 ⇒ 50
Big guns: 1d100 ⇒ 42
Don't blink: 1d100 ⇒ 35

The night passes quietly - eerily so, as if the local fauna is avoiding the place. The group is woken in the morning by Perlivash loudly complaining about the taste of the group's trail rations.

So, what do?


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Mira moves throughout the camp looking carefully to see if anything odd has occurred.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Mira:

You notice nothing out of the ordinary.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Okay then, this whole thing is odd, but, still, nothing pops out so....

I can't spot anything weird, anybody else? Mira calls out to the party camp.


Male Dwarf 3 Paladin HP 33/33 [AC 20] [T 11] [FF 19] [CMD 17] [Init+1], Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +4; (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities), Immune to Fear, Ride +10 Perception +0 Diplomacy +5

Gogeth takes a quick scan of the camp and immediate area

perception: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Bah! looks fine! lets get out of this place and finish exploring this area, these stones are giving me the willies!


Gogeth suggests moving on. If anybody wants to keep searching, they have until tonight before I move this on.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Mira takes note on the Map before continuing on to regular morning activities. Everything is packed right after she finishes her prayers and she is ready to go.

While traveling and seeing new sights is wonderful and I thank Desna for the opportunity to do that, if I don't come across something like this again unawares I really won't mind. Makes me wonder though.... hey maybe we could get some books in or even send a request for research on this. It's too odd to ignore. Chats Mira as she gets Susan ready.


~*~Desnus 10th~*~

As Mira prays, Banith and Elena busy themselves breaking camp, saddling the horses last, getting to this task just as the cleric finishes. Elena gently reminds Mira that she'd mentioned doing something to preserve the tatzlwyrm's head.

Eerie as the place is, no wild beasts or aberrant monstrosities attack the party, so on they go.

You finished exploring this hex (with the strange rocks) yesterday. You can choose to head elsewhere, or continue searching this hex if you feel there's something you're missing.


Female Female Half-Elf 3 Cleric HP 22/22 [AC 16] [T 10] [FF 16] , Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +7, +2 to Enchantments and Immune to Sleep. Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Profession Cartographer +8, Profession Baker -20, Sense Motive +11

Mira moves over to the head after her prayers, digging through her pouch she finds what she needs.

Desna I call for your aid in preserving this beasts head, Odd but a showpiece of travels taken, May your light help in this task

Mira utters as she casts Gentle Repose on the head.

Okay that should last for 2 days, I can keep doing it as needed if we wish to keep exploring. So either to the frogs we were warned about or we take this back to Oleg's and rest for a minute and come back. If we go beck to Oleg's first we can ask about the statues and check it out. Honestly it's half a dozen one, six the other. So where do we go?

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Freedom is Everything: GM Vera's Kingmaker gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.