Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


11,751 to 11,800 of 12,164 << first < prev | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | next > last >>

Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

My fault I was out of town since Thursday and had not updated my sheet from the battle in the gate with the commander. I had to use both of my second level cure to keep Edmin alive.


Dren of the Dark Tapestry wrote:

I have no 2nd lvl spell slots but the deletion of posts ate both of my posts.

I was attacking the alchemist unless the elemental succeeded. If it succeeded then I was attacking the archon with my confusion which should have hit it before it could attack anyone...
[/ooc]

As I noted in one of the eaten posts, the short range on your Gift of Madness (30') meant that in order to attack the archon before it moved, you would have had to move out onto the catwalk, exposing yourself to enemy archery fire. If you want to do that, then we'll play it out.


Cуровую зиму wrote:


DM instead of casting Force Missile then, can Cуровую use her final Levitate scroll to try and save Edmin?

You cast Force Missile *before* the archon attacked. You were going to hit it with Bref's head after it attacked. But yes, you could use the scroll of Levitate.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Well god morning to you! Not sure what I can do here. I will be gone fore the next 15 hours. Bot me as needed.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
You cast Force Missile *before* the archon attacked. You were going to hit it with Bref's head after it attacked. But yes, you could use the scroll of Levitate.

DM, I was looking at Dren's character profile and when I had checked it looked like he could still cast Levitate, that's the reasoning for my suggestion.

Dren posted he can not, (he mentioned this) the chracter sheet was not updated, because of that, can we not throw Bref/Magister's head and instead use the Scroll of Levitate to make sure Edmin does not plummet 90' to his death.

Edmin can still continue to Smite.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Cy - remember, this thing has no head. Even if the head works, we will end up losing it as it will not be recreated. Also, if you miss, then you get a REALLY nasty backlash in the form of 6d6 fire damage or something like that.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax will shoot it with his crossbow.
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 for 1d8 ⇒ 1 damage.


I'm thinking scroll of Levitate, since the alternative is Edmin plummeting to his very likely doom -- even if he were to survive the fall, multiple swim checks in fast-rushing water in plate mail would probably finish him.

So, unless someone objects, Levitate it is.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

I can also ready an action to confuse it if it comes within range. Since I have no other real attacks left that is what I would do assuming its next action is to continue to press the attack against us.


Well, let's see if Edmin can get his smite on first. 1d20 ⇒ 7 Hm... even with smiting, I don't think that's going to do it. Edmin usually Power Attacks, so he's at +9 with another +2 from smiting. Nope.


Sakkarot runs one hand through his fur, which was ruffled by the creature's attack. Then he turns to the big half-orc. "Wolf?"

The Wolf That Watches says nothing in reply, but nocks his bow. (It is an unusually large bow, and of a curious design.)

1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 6


At least one of the arrows hits the thing and seems to harm it; the lights swirl and churn. That said, it's still up there.


Dren of the Dark Tapestry wrote:
I can also ready an action to confuse it if it comes within range. Since I have no other real attacks left that is what I would do assuming its next action is to continue to press the attack against us.

Dren, once again -- you can put yourself in range to attack it with your Gift of Madness. The thing is, that brings you either to the edge of the roof (if you're on the roof) or slightly out on the catwalk (if you're still below). Either way, it makes you a target for arrows. But if you're willing to chance taking a hit or two, you can do it.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Judge Tohram Quasangi wrote:
Cy - remember, this thing has no head. Even if the head works, we will end up losing it as it will not be recreated. Also, if you miss, then you get a REALLY nasty backlash in the form of 6d6 fire damage or something like that.
Cуровую зиму wrote:

Cуровую was born on the wind swept mountain ranges of the impassable North, with her perfect hair and robes billowing around her she actually REVELS and raises her arms high in the brisk winds and she looks ... almost happy.

But what's this?

She has given the Celestial a gift as it passes through her and it catches in the great wind, it too is smiling.

Ranged touch attack with Bref/Magister's head 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

It seemed like it did have a head in my minds eye instead of a huge ball of light, but at the time I was thinking more protect and save us from super archon.

That being said, I think Cуровую will cast Levitate or Edmin won't even get to show off his new armor to the other anti paladin kids in playground.

edit - What DM said


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

'It can not hold this form for much longer, Edmin Smite it again! It will be easier to damage when they break up but we will have more of them to deal with!'

Next action Cуровую will Force Missile the super archon again and move another 30' ft away

damage 1d4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 3 = 8

caster SR 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

"From hells heart I stab at thee!"

Smite power attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Damage:1d8 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

I will take the chance of being hit by arrows. If I can position myself toward the edge of the wall I will to gain cover.

With cover AC is 22.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Whether you were on the roof or in the entry to the door, the whirlwind would have had to have moved within 30' of you at some point. If you had a readied action, it would have gone off at that point. The not drawing an AoO is irrelevant if you had a readied action.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

That was what I was trying to do by readying. As soon as it tried to move up and attack us my power would have gone off to try and intercept it and possibly disrupt it.


The problem is, I'm not seeing "ready an action" anywhere. That's a very distinct thing, and you have to announce it. (Because if you ready an action if X happens, and X doesn't happen, you lose the action.) If I missed it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll assume Dren moves to the edge of the roof.


That said, Dren gets his shot anyway when he moves to the parapet on his turn. The Gift of Madness bypasses SR, so here is the archon's saving throw: 1d20 ⇒ 12

Huh: that actually fails by 1. The gestalt's Will save is not spectacular. Dren, your training with the Cardinal pays off here. -- Of course, using your roll from yesterday, the gestalt's response is to "attack the nearest creature". Which in this case is Sir Edmin and the bugbear sergeant.

Well: logically its best move would be to release both of you to plummet to your deaths. But it's been affected by the Gift of Madness, so it's not working logically. Now, it does auto-damage on both with two slam attacks, no attack needed -- so all that's left is two of its light-ray attacks. Bugbear, Edmin 1d2 ⇒ 11d20 ⇒ 161d2 ⇒ 21d20 ⇒ 8


Damage on Edmin is 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 5) + 2 = 13 from the light-beam and + 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 from being buffeted by its raging winds, for a total of 27 -- yikes.

2d4 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7


How many archers fire at Dren? 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4 Four. Their attacks: 1d20 ⇒ 91d20 ⇒ 71d20 ⇒ 121d20 ⇒ 2 Bah, not a single hit. Arrows whirr menacingly past Dren, but not one hits him.


On Edmin's turn, he attacks the creature from within! That's his attack/smite roll above.

And that's enough to kill it! The archon, already confused and damaged, cannot hold itself together. It disappears, disintegrating in a flash of brilliant white light and a chord of sad, beautiful music.

The whirlwind stops. The bugbear sergeant plummets downward with a scream that ends in a thud as he strikes the side of the gorge, eighty feet below. Sir Edmin is left turning in midair, 30' off the edge of the parapet, gently tumbling and spinning. The Levitate spell is working just fine. However, Edmin has no way to move horizontally, and so cannot easily get back to the gatehouse.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую would like to take this time and situation to discuss her much delayed benefits program, health insurance, annual pay raise and salary bonus with Anti Paladin Inc.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Someone throw edmin a rope, quickly!


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge hands a piece of rope to Grumblejack.

Pull our floating hero back.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

To the Judge

'Perhaps direct some of your Summoned creatures against the archers as we retrieve our Champion.'

To Sakkarot

'We have dealt with the sole remaining real obstacle Mighty Fire Axe, the fort should now fall to your army, let us press our advantage.'


Cуровую зиму wrote:


To Sakkarot

'We have dealt with the sole remaining real obstacle Mighty Fire Axe, the fort should now fall to your army, let us press our advantage.'

The bugbear general nods solemnly. "Indeed. I believe our hour is close at hand." He nods to the Wolf. [b]"Covering fire, while we retrieve the Dark Lord's champion. I want him at my back for the final assault."[b]

Sir Edmin will be shot at 2d6 - 2 ⇒ (2, 2) - 2 = 2 times while he is being retrieved...


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

I will burn at least two more spells on him.

Down to 2 first level spells.

Cast cure lights wounds 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Cast cure lights wounds 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Then Wand charges if needed, let me know.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Once we retrieve Edmin, Sarrkot/Edmin, I can make an illusion of a wall or stone ceiling to protect your men as they rush the main gate. I can make other illusions as well to assist the troops when we make the main attack. Let me know how I can assist.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax will fire with his crossbow at the archers shooting at Edmin until he's brought in.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

While the Bugbears are concentrated on reclaiming Edmin, very QUIETLY to Jax, using Message in Draconic

Jax

Spoiler:
'We need to get to the meeting chamber before this group, there may be information for us to use. And wealth for you. Irin will expect a present.'


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

My initial thought was to summon a Dire Bat to retrieve Edmin. Then I remembered that at 30', just tossing rope was probably easier. Combined with the two air elementals still harassing people on the other side, I decided this was a better choice.

Of course, Dren had to go and post the rope idea first just to steal the glory - damn Dark Tapestry adherent.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Dren sees Edmin's tactical worth, even if he believes him to be a large dolt that should be manipulated into doing what the incredibly intelligent people like himself want him to do ... :)


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Cуровую зиму wrote:
Cуровую would like to take this time and situation to discuss her much delayed benefits program, health insurance, annual pay raise and salary bonus with Anti Paladin Inc.
Judge Tohram Quasangi wrote:
Of course, Dren had to go and post the rope idea first just to steal the glory - damn Dark Tapestry adherent.

I thought of the rope idea too but first wanted to discuss salary and bonus structure for the coming year for Anti Paladin Inc.


1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 1

No hits on Edmin (and that one guy maybe broke his string).


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

'And it it is written, that he who breaks his string as he fires upon the Dark Champion, may as well hurl himself against the ravine and save us the trouble of coming up there to get you.'


Rounds 44-50

Okay, it's big push time. Downstairs, a group of bugbears have hauled in a crude ram -- a tree trunk with a blunt end and handles. Enver and his last surviving zombie are down there as well. Up in the machinery room, a crack squad of bugbears have gathered to storm the catwalk. Sakkarot himself will come hot on their heels.

Sakkarot turns to you. "You have done your part. If you have any spells left, prepare them. If not, cast missiles at the archers. You may follow once the walls are clear." He then leans closer, addressing Sir Edmin, and lowers his voice. "Champion of Asmodeus, when I go into battle, it is not the enemies to my front that I fear. I will be happier with a loyal servant of our Dark Father at my back. Will you charge with me?"


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

I have few spells left, but I can still swing a blade.

To cimu:

She does, and I have yet to find one. Do you mean the room at the top of the tower that we blocked off with that odd contraption? The one with the whirly-copter planar thing? If not, we have no idea where any such meeting room is. Otherwise, how do you plan to get into that tower, aside from the lovely spider climb potion we have.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

I can summon more eagles or elementals. Or a single Dire Bat to provide some support. Other than this, my spell have been depleted.

I can also recall Morsum which I will do immediately once/if I use my last SMIII.

Through the Message to Cy, the Judge whispers:
Beware of the Chief. We must take this fort, however we do not want to be so depleted that we cannot defend ourselves.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

For the most part..we'll just wait here for you to finish up the slaughter and butchering, Sakkarot. Without much in the way of leadership, or at least powerful leadership, you're clear to murder your way through the fort and town. There is, however, the question of looting afterward. We didn't exactly take the time to go around hunting for treasure while dashing around the Fort being chased by the Commander, his Seekers and the rest of the soldiers.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8
Sakkarot wrote:
"Champion of Asmodeus, when I go into battle, it is not the enemies to my front that I fear. I will be happier with a loyal servant of our Dark Father at my back. Will you charge with me?"

The baterd Champion looks at the bugbear for a moment then nods his head. "Yes, you are needed here Sakkarot. The Dark Prince wills you to lead this army to strike into the heart of this kingdom. Let us slay these infidels together."


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Jax

Spoiler:

"I have told you this thrice before, even before the spear tip of the Bugbear hoard arrived. We Fly with Stealth to the Magister's window and enter that room with the alarm from below, using Invisibility and Vanish.'

'Let Edmin and the Fire Axe play soldiers, we will seek key information to win the comming War.'


Sakkarot nods at the Wolf That Watches. The Wolf carefully pulls an arrow out of his quiver.

DC 14 Perception check:

Hey, that looks exactly like the arrow that the guy shot at the Judge! Strange pale wood covered with weird swirly markings.

DC 23 Knowledge (history) check if you made the last check:

The Triple Empire had a fondness for that sort of thing. Likely there are Arrows of Slaying still scattered around the north -- they're magic items, they last forever. The good guys found one; apparently the bad guys found one too.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

The Judge smiled at the arrow.
Their hermit seems to have some decent backing from Mitra. Watch out for the seekers, one was of celestial blood. I do not know if that arrow would work on them.


The drums slow and soften... and then suddenly pound in a crescendo. Horns blare. The savage humanoids surge forward across the bridges.

Arrows fly in response, but too few. Many soldiers are still sickened from the poisoned stew. Many others have been murdered by the Ninth Knot in the course of its bloody rampage. A handful of militiamen from the village are here, but most of them have simple weapons and no bows.

Below you, the bugbear phalanx on the bridge swings its ram against the lower doors, already damaged by the undead giant's attack. BOOM! The doors shudder. BOOM! Now they are visibly splintering.

On your own level, a wave of bugbears and goblins surges out across the catwalk. Many fall, but more keep coming. They reach the far end of the catwalk, where a small group of hardened fighters await them behind a shield-wall.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge looks to Cy:
One more fireball to soften the last line of defense?


On the bridge below, the door splinters and cracks open. On the catwalk above, Sakkarot prepares to charge, with Sir Edmin at his back, as the wave of bugbears smashes against the wall of shields.

Suddenly a robed, bearded figure appears on the parapets. It is the Hermit, once again; Enver's spell weakened but did not kill him. He raises his arms to cast...

The Wolf releases his arrow: 1d20 ⇒ 1


The Wolf's finger slips. The precious arrow skitters harmlessly off into the darkness.

11,751 to 11,800 of 12,164 << first < prev | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.