Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


11,801 to 11,850 of 12,164 << first < prev | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | next > last >>

Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Thrown Dagger: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 Possible Crit!
Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Crit Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Wow.

So far team Fire Axe has failed to impress!!

Free super arrow.

Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Suddenly a robed, bearded figure appears on the parapets. It is the Hermit, once again; Enver's spell weakened but did not kill him. He raises his arms to cast...

Casting to disrupt the spell

Force Missile 1d4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 3 = 6


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge sighs as the arrow falls into the chasm. He reaches into his quiver of bolts and pulls the long arrow that is sticking out. He hands it to Wolf. Don't miss with this one, you owe me.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Er, just a suggestion here, don't we want to keep that for our OWN (using the History Channel term) Strategic Reserves? We are sure to face more heroic personalities in the future.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

not much use if the hermit kills us…well i am dead. so yes go ahead and hold onto it!!


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

None of us are archers, this seems like a fine time to use it. Otherwise, I'd just suggest selling it.

Do we all get an action, Doug?

"Bugger the wizard! Judge, Edmin, want me to blind him?"

Jax still has glitterdust prepped.

Or better yet "Cimu, maybe our pal Bref can help out here?"


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

We really need a range character. If I die I will come back all huntsman like, as a ranger.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Thought that was going to happen when the whirlwind thing got me.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Skirmisher Ranger.

Race: Human

Favored Enemy: Humans and outsiders (good)

Combat Style: Archery


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Better scroll/spell selection would help too. I wish magi had better ranged touch spells (scorching ray would be great). A few scrolls of gust of wind or..hmn...

Okay, Doug, you'll kill me for asking this. I'm sure. But..can Jax use Mount to summon a horse..erm..at the limit of the casting range above the wizard? To..you know..fall on him?


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

I'm coming back as an alchemist so there is range. I can also use a bow


The Hermit is 60' away, so he's out of range of short-range stuff. That includes Force Missile and I'm pretty sure Glitterdust is short range too.

That said, the Hermit is NOT out of range of a double-20 crit! Edmin's thrown knife flies far, far out across the gorge -- and, incredibly, hits! The Hermit is forced to make an unprepared Concentration check -- DC 10+spell level+11 (damage from the dagger). 1d20 ⇒ 8 <-- fail! The Hermit's devastating spell (whatever it was) is disrupted!

The bugbears smash down the door and begin to claw their way in. The Hermit curses and prepares to cast again.


Jax Naismith wrote:

Okay, Doug, you'll kill me for asking this. I'm sure. But..can Jax use Mount to summon a horse..erm..at the limit of the casting range above the wizard? To..you know..fall on him?

Check the range on Mount. Honestly.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
The Hermit is 60' away, so he's out of range of short-range stuff. That includes Force Missile and I'm pretty sure Glitterdust is short range too.
Pathfinder SRD wrote:

As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile.

Magic Missile

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Pathfinder SRD wrote:

Glitterdust

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

DM the range of Force Missile and Glitterdust are 150' ft for us each at this level.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую will continue her casting to disrupt the spells although the hermit may have to save for Glitterdust

Yet another Force Missile to disrupt his casting 1d4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 3 = 6

'Where are our many archers?!! Direct fire on the enemy spellcaster!'


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

The first round we see the old man Dren draws out his crossbow...in case he hangs around and wants to get shot.

The second round he will load it and ready an action to shoot the old man and try to disrupt any casting he does. He's not very good with the contraption, but it is the only thing he can use....

crossbow atk 17 bolts remain 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 dam 1d8 ⇒ 1 lol

I guess I need a few useful spells I can throw from range on a scroll or something :]

Twang! Dren sighs at having to resort to such mundane methods.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Jax Naismith wrote:

Okay, Doug, you'll kill me for asking this. I'm sure. But..can Jax use Mount to summon a horse..erm..at the limit of the casting range above the wizard? To..you know..fall on him?

Check the range on Mount. Honestly.

I already had, I wasn't sure how far away the hermit was. But that's dealt with! Do we roll initiatives, or charge forward and butcher people?

"Nice shot, Edmin!" Jax dashes toward the hermit, planting his last and final shocking grasp into the man's stomach. (or trying to)
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25 for 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 and 5d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 2, 2, 6) = 18 electricity damage.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

On

Suddenly a robed, bearded figure appears on the parapets. It is the Hermit, once again; Enver's spell weakened but did not kill him. He raises his arms to cast...

The Wolf releases his arrow: d20

Jax, he is up on the parapets, unless you can fly up there to get him, ranged attacks only. Got a short bow handy?


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

glitterdust link but i don't see where it says the force missile is medium range…most of those are usually short i thought


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Cуровую зиму wrote:
Pathfinder SRD wrote:

As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile.

Magic Missile

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Pathfinder SRD wrote:

Glitterdust

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

DM the range of Force Missile and Glitterdust are 150' ft for us each at this level.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

The key is in the highlighted statement: Force Missile (Sp): As a standard action you can unleash a force missile that automatically strikes a foe, as magic missile. The force missile deals 1d4 points of damage plus the damage from your intense spells evocation power. This is a force effect. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier. Heh, the ninja struck.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Seeing the Hermit once more casting, the Judge calls forth a nightmare creature. Suddenly a huge bat with wings 20' across appears in the air, smoke slowly exuding from its porcelain skin and its eyes smoldering like embers. The Judge then points at the Hermit and the creature flies forth to attack.

Summon Monster III - Dire Bat

Dire Bat:

Dire Bat CR 2
XP --
N Large celestial/fiendish animal
Init +2; Senses blindsense 40 ft., darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +12
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, -1 size)
hp 22 [30] (4d8+4) [4d8+12]
Fort +5 [+7], Ref +6, Will +3
SR 7
Celestial - Resist Acid, Cold, and Electricity 5
Fiendish - Resist Cold and Fire 5
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., fly 40 ft. (good)
Melee bite +5 [+7] (1d8+4) [1d8+7]
Special Attack Smite evil/good
STATISTICS
Str 17 [21], Dex 15, Con 13 [17], Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Base Atk +3; CMB +7 [+9]; CMD 19 [21]
Feats Alertness, Stealthy
Skills Fly +9, Perception +12, Stealth +4; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception when using blindsense
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Smite evil/good 1/day as a swift action (adds CHA bonus (+0) to attack rolls and damage bonus equal to HD (+4) against evil/good foes; smite persists until target is dead or the celestial/fiendish creature rests).

The bat charges and attacks the Hermit with its long serrated talons attempting to rip the old man to shreds.

Move: move to Hermit
Swift: Smite Good
Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14 <-- extra +2 from charge
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 4 = 9 <-- +4 Smite

Probably didn't hit, but that will give the Hermit something to think about.

Bat is size large, so he will have to cast defensively, or move out of the 10' reach of the bat provoking an AoO.

I have 1 more SMIII left for the day. And I can recall Morsum, but that takes 1 minute.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Dren of the Dark Tapestry wrote:
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

On

Suddenly a robed, bearded figure appears on the parapets. It is the Hermit, once again; Enver's spell weakened but did not kill him. He raises his arms to cast...

The Wolf releases his arrow: d20

Jax, he is up on the parapets, unless you can fly up there to get him, ranged attacks only. Got a short bow handy?

We have a potion of spider climb!


Woo, this is why we have initiative. Everyone piling on top of each other!

Let's take it in order. Edmin's crit disrupted his casting, Zimu's force missile -- in the same round -- added more damage. Jax cast Glitterdust. Here's the old fellow's save: 1d20 ⇒ 10 --> hm, is that a Will save? Yes? Phew, okay, he's good.


A couple of bugbear archers are also firing. 1d20 ⇒ 61d20 ⇒ 7 1d20 ⇒ 6

Yeah, this is why Sakkarot doesn't like archery duels... bugbears are good at melee combat, and good at sneaking and ambush, but missile weapons? Not so much.


And some counterfire from the other side at all you people standing on the roof and obviously casting. 1d20 ⇒ 81d20 ⇒ 71d20 ⇒ 131d20 ⇒ 121d20 ⇒ 21d20 ⇒ 7

Let's see, that's 1d10 ⇒ 81d10 ⇒ 1 pfft, nobody is hit. Terrible.


Okay, couple of initiative rolls here... 1d20 ⇒ 21d20 ⇒ 11d20 ⇒ 17

Now the Wolf acts. He takes the white arrow from the Judge. Your eyes meet for a moment. The Wolf's face is expressionless. He turns and pulls back the bow again... 1d20 ⇒ 17


whiiiiiiish thunk

Big saving throw for the Hermit: 1d20 ⇒ 7


Whoa! The Hermit staggers... and falls of the wall! The ancient death magic of the arrow has finally found a victim!

The Wolf turns to the Judge. "You helped me reclaim my honor. I am in your debt. I, Lazar-Knez, called the Wolf That Watches, say this. What I can do for you, I shall." He turns away without another word and goes back to trying to pick archers off the walls.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Laser Knees?


Below, bugbears are pouring through the door. Up above, though, the bugbears are crashing against the shield-wall at the end of the catwalk. You get a glimpse of a blue robe there; the Seeker lashes out, and a bugbear trips, and falls screaming to his death. Edmin and Sakkarot are plunging forward, but it's hard to see how they can break through this resolute barrier of brave good men.

And then suddenly the wall erupts in writhing tentacles.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

If only Bref was still with us, I would have asked him to look for that Necromancer's spellbook.


Necromancer?


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

I think she means the wizard whose giant zombie pet got slain.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Did the Hermit fall into the river? Or is he in pieces on the ground/rocks? I would think there is some buffer against the wall to avoid the river eroding into the foundation of the wall over time.


Jax Naismith wrote:

I think she means the wizard whose giant zombie pet got slain.

Enver? He's fine. A little grumpy that he lost his precious giant zombie, and he's taken an arrow or two, but otherwise fine.


Judge Tohram Quasangi wrote:
I would think there is some buffer against the wall to avoid the river eroding into the foundation of the wall over time.

There is -- it's not a sheer cliff. There's a ~45 degree slope "apron" for 10 or 15 feet, dropping off to a ~75 degree cliff down into the ravine. The "apron" is a mixture of native rock and masonry, made smooth-ish by the efforts of dwarven engineers two centuries ago, so that it would be difficult for anyone to cling to it.


The shield wall collapses in a mass of writhing tentacles. The final charge, led by Sakkarot with Sir Edmin right behind him, is able to smash through and slaughter the soldiers who are helpless in their clutches. More bugbears pour through behind. The Horde has now broken through on both bridge and catwalk.


A handful of soldiers try to reform the shield wall... and are suddenly cut down from behind, by two bugbears who seemed to appear from nowhere.


Sakkarot the general. Lazar-Knez the archer and scout. Enver the muttering sulking necromancer. Did nobody notice that one member of the Fourth Knot was missing?

Raisa waves wildly at you from her perch on the wall. She's clinging to it somehow, a few feet below the parapet. She looks different somehow.

DC 20 Perception check:

She, uh, seems to have grown a couple of extra eyes. Like three of them, spotted randomly around her face. Also, one of her arms seems about twice as long as it should be. And she's not wearing that big heavy holy symbol of Asmodeus.


"Hi, you guys! Hiiiiii!" She waves and waves, grinning wildly. She's obviously having a wonderful time. "Come on! We're winning! Isn't it great?" She turns and, clinging to the wall like some sort of sticky insect, scrambles up the sheer slope and over the parapet.

Sakkarot has been keeping his sorceress in reserve. She spammed invisibility and Spider Climb on herself and an elite squad of bugbears, and they spent several minutes climbing down into the ravine and back up again. Jax came within a few feet of blowing her cover with his Glitterdust!


Judge, since the Hermit fell before you did your summons, you can choose to not do it. Or you can keep the bat and have it attacking soldiers on the walls in coordination with the attackers. (Or do anything else, really.) Up to you.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Enver? He's fine. A little grumpy that he lost his precious giant zombie, and he's taken an arrow or two, but otherwise fine.

When you said tentacles erupted I assumed that was Enver's doing and was wishful for Bref because he would have been willing to go look for his spellbook while Enver was preoccupied.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Sakkarot the general. Lazar-Knez the archer and scout. Enver the muttering sulking necromancer. Did nobody notice that one member of the Fourth Knot was missing?

I was wondering about Raisa but thought she was probably somewhere else 'causing havoc' or 'keeping from being a problem' rather than this combat as well.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Perception

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


Always with the spellbooks.

Lots of people summon zombies. Enver could be a cleric, a sorceror, or something else entirely. And, of course, he's a member in good standing of the Fourth Knot, your allies in the service of Asmodeus.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

DM

Spoiler:
Still evil.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Fun fact

We begun 'today' on November 4.


Rounds 52-60

The next rounds are going to be rather freeform. Sakkarot, Edmin and fifty bugbears are clearing the top of the walls. More bugbears and goblins are charging over the bridge and clearing the underground level. Enver is down below with them, presumably throwing spells. The Wolf starts on the gatehouse roof, but after three rounds he'll move across the catwalk to start picking off people from the top of the walls. Raisa is going to spider-climb down the inside of the wall and start attacking people in the courtyard. One bugbear keeps her company to act as a meat shield. She will use Black Tentacles on any potentially threatening knot of soldiers.

What are the rest of you doing during this period? Note that "nothing" or "hang back and make opportunistic attacks with my crossbow" are perfectly OK answers -- it looks like the battle is won, so there's no pressing need for anyone but Edmin to be involved.


Cуровую зиму wrote:

Fun fact

We begun 'today' on November 4.

Ha.

But very close to done now.

11,801 to 11,850 of 12,164 << first < prev | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.