CotCT Gameplay Thread! (Inactive)

Game Master leinathan

A group of PCs brought together by a shared hatred are met with far more than just a decrepit criminal. Can they band together and save the day?

Map of Korvosa


701 to 750 of 1,824 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Cage look pickable?


Global Buffs:

Cage is suspended in the air by a chain and must first be lowered before you can get at it, but yes.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

So, Akiki looks for a way to lower the cage! :)


Global Buffs:

There's a pulley by the wall that may be ah...pulled to lower the cage to the ground.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki gets on pulling said levers, then, seeming proud of herself. After all, her friends have totally got this. Right? Right.


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Burahl has enough of the tumult and the noise the bandits make while trying to flee, steps up to one of them and tries to whack him on the head with his quarterstaff.

I'm guessing I'm flanking with Goffred? Else take away the 2 bonus on attack

Attack: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5
Burahl Narnec wrote:
I'm guessing I'm flanking with Goffred?

Nope, I've got no melee weapon out.


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Dang shame, guess that will be a miss then.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"Look around," he says severely, holding his crossbow out in front of him to deflect any more blows. "Barvasi is beaten, trussed up like a calf. The only reason you two are standing is because my friends don't consider you threatening. Throw down your weapons, or that will change."

Cat slinks into a cobweb-filled corner to lick her wounds.

Using Total Defense, my AC becomes 17. Also, have a Diplomacy check.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven turns and fires two arrows at the living thug!

Attack 1 (rapid shot w/PBS): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Attack 2 (rapid shot w/PBS): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Possible Crit: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Damage arrow 1: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Damage arrow 2: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Damage arrow 1 crit: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (1, 8) + 6 = 15


Man, Thaven is all of the bloodthirsty today.


Global Buffs:

Initiative:
Akiki - 24
Thaven - 23
Barvasi - 22
Raijinn - 21
Thugs - 18
Burahl - 13
Goffred - 11

Akiki moves to lower the pseudodragon's cage to the ground, pulling on a chain pulley to bring it down. Thaven then looses another two arrows at one of the surviving thugs, piercing him in the neck and in the back. He falls heavily. Barvasi sees the stairs down as if for the first time, and leaps to them to try and escape, but he's looped about the legs by Raijinn and falls. The one remaining thug looks from Burahl to Goffred to Thaven...and throws down his sword, dropping to his knees to beg for his life.

So combat is pretty much over. Raijinn's quite a bit stronger than Barvasi and is quite well equipped to restrain him.


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Burahl looks around and sees Barvasi restrained by Raijinn and the groveling thug before him.

Wow that escalated quickly, good that we finished it quickly as well.

He walks over to Barvasi and bluntly says "Keys" holding out his left hand to collect them and his right still holding the staff.

If Barvasi gives them, he heads over to the cage and unlocks the little door to release the pseudodragon.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven keeps an arrow nocked and nods at Fredo and the rest. "Sorry. I don't like criminal scum and I don't abide slavery. Keeping a thinking person locked up like that, only to torture them and laugh? Not if I can help it."

Thaven pauses. He looks over the corpses feathered with his arrows and smiles slightly. Then he frowns. He actually enjoyed killing the thugs. Just like he enjoyed killing Lamm. What's happened to him? When did he become a killer?


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

Fredo nods at Thaven's words, then looks around at Barvasi's fallen workers. They were as much slaves as the psuedodragon, only they'd refused to see it, and had paid steeply for their willful ignorance, and Barvasi hadn't paid the same kind of price. He couldn't save all of them, but he does kneel down by the one who looks nearest death and breaks a vial of devil's blood against his face. Just to be certain he won't attack them again, he takes the man's weapon, then brandishes it as he turns to Barvasi.

Cast infernal healing on the thug nearest death. He should wake up in a minute or so.

"Now that we've established who's in control here, Spider King" he says contemptuously, "here is our revised offer. You will give us all the information you have on Amprei. You will let the dragon go - and tell us his name while you're at it. I'm tired of saying 'the dragon' like he's a thing. In return, we'll leave you alive here, trussed up, and we'll lock the door behind us when we go. We'll leave you for your workers to find." ...and to do with as they please he adds silently. No doubt Barvasi has inspired some hatred along with fear in his staff. "Refuse, and your life will be forfeit."


Raijinn watches as Fredo uses a vial to heal one of the men they had wounded, and before he can stop himself, walks back over to the man that he cut down. The smell of burnt flesh stings his nostrils, and a feeling that he can't quite explain fills him.

Deep down, he knew that if things had gone the other way, the thug would have not hesitated to kill him, and would more than likely have drank and laughed with his friends about it afterwards. Still, he wondered if perhaps he himself should have hesitated. There was a power building within him that he did not understand, and when it chose to manifest, the damage that he was capable of... it was too much for him. Raijinn didn't have to shred and electrify this man to stop him, but he did it all the same, without even really thinking about it.

For the first time in his life, Raijinn felt afraid, truly afraid, and it was of himself, and of what he might one day do.


Global Buffs:

Raijinn successfully trusses up Barvasi, struggling as he is after the fear spell wears off and he regains his wits. When Burahl approaches him, all he has to do is indicate his hands in their tied-behind-his-back state. He can't hand Burahl anything.

The pseudodragon cage hits the ground with a bit of force, but the dragon seems unharmed. 'Thank you, thank you thank you. I am ever in your debt.'

To Goffred's demands, Barvasi actually spits onto the planks of his throne room. "You think you have the power to threaten me? What happens if I don't give you the information? You kill me...then what? You're hunted down by my allies and prosecuted by the Guard."


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

"But you'd still be dead right? We can take our chances then, but you can't do that now, so how much do you value your life? Too little for a bit of information?"

He walks up to Barvasi and searches him for the keys to the cage and everything else Barvasi still has on him.


Global Buffs:

Barvasi's belongings: potion of cure moderate wounds, potion of invisibility, five vials of poison, a suit of +1 leather armor, 2 masterwork bladed gauntlets, a masterwork hand crossbow, 20 bolts, two keys.

Barvasi sits in stunned silence for a moment as he realizes the truth of his situation, and does nothing to prevent Burahl from frisking him. "It's in my personal chambers. How are we supposed to get it?"


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven laughs when he hears Barvasi threaten them. "Prosecuted by the Guard? Good one." Thaven's face soon goes back to its usual hardness.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"Simple, really," says Fredo. "Some of us keep you here, under guard, while the rest search your chambers." He nods to Raijin and Burahl, then flicks his eyes towards Barvasi as if to say that they should guard him. They'd be most conspicuous moving about; all Barvasi's workers - though not all his clients - appear to be human. "Now, will you tell us where they are, or will we have to ransack your whole establishment?"

Can the rest of us 'hear' the pseudodragon's thoughts, or still just Thaven?


I assume that Akiki should at this point be DMPC'd to open the cage, since that's the direction she was going in anyway. I'm also curious about whether all of us can hear the pseudodragon, since I haven't been playing Raijinn to have any inclination of having heard it, nor even knowing that it can communicate. As far as he's aware, Fredo and Thaven were just f&#!ed off because it's a living thing.

Raijinn nods at Fredo's words and pulls up a stool in front of Barvasi, flashing him a terrifying smile as he plops down. "Who knows what interesting things you might find if you tear the place apart."


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5
Raijinn wrote:
As far as he's aware, Fredo and Thaven were just f*#*ed off because it's a living thing.

I've been operating under the assumption that only Thaven has head him up to now. As such, Fredo hasn't heard him either, and was cheesed off because he was a living thing.


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Burahl simply tucks away the vials of poison in his own robes as he finds them, not even planning on mentioning them to the others. The rest he sums it up and places it beside him as he goes. He takes a look at the two keys and throws them to Goffred saying:"Catch! You might be needing those."

"When you get back you can pick anything you'd like from among these things." He says a bit absent-minded as he goes through the things found on Barvasi as though he is ordening them on his own shore stelves.

When the others are gone and Raijinn isn't looking his way, he tries to determine what the poison in the flasks is.
Craft Alchemy to determine poisons: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

Treasure Doc updated.

"Thanks," says Fredo, grabbing the keys out of the air and examining them for any decorative or distinguishing marks. Sometimes they match the handles, and if Barvasi tries to send them to a red herring room, he doesn't want to be caught off guard.


Global Buffs:

He originally contacted Thaven, but everyone can hear him. Excuse me for not a more substantive post. I've been busy.


Global Buffs:

Barvasi stubbornly remains silent, an impudent smile present on his face while Goffred and Raijinn threaten him....then he thinks about it for a few moments. He says "Well, you've taken my things, I'm not much of a threat. Can I perhaps lead you directly there, so as to keep you out of my other things?"

Meanwhile, Akiki pulls out her tools and begins to pick at the pseudodragon's cage. Pickin': 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 Under her careful fingers, the lock springs open, and the tiny dragon immediately pushes the cage door open and leaps out, soaring in a circle in the confines of this tiny room. The tiny thing lands at Thaven's feet and nuzzles his ankles with its head. 'My name is Majenko, and you have saved me from certain torture and death. In thanks, I pledge my loyalty to you for a year and a day. Anything you wish me to, I will do.'

Burahl, the poison is Medium spider's venom. Frequency 1/round for 4 rounds, injury poison, Fort DC 14, 1d2 Str damage, cure 1 save.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki seems pleased with her handiwork, and winks at Thaven and his new friend, before sauntering over to peer at Barvasi with her grim quiet. Looks like they managed to tie him up okay - no stabbing necessitated this time.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

A pleasure, Majenko, thinks Fredo, not really sure if the little dragon can hear him but more than willing to try. Would you mind please wrapping yourself around Barvasi's belly, just below his solar plexus?

"Very well," says Fredo, "you may come with us...under a few conditions." Cat seemingly senses Fredo's intentions as well, and with another flying leap settles on top of Barvasi's head, her claws out just above his brow. "Your hands will remain bound and the rope will remain in my friend's capable hands. Attempt to escape or call out for help, and your eyes will pay for it."


Since no one has made mention of the dragon's speech, Raijinn can't be sure that the others even heard it. Between his increasing use of magic and the fear that he's beginning to hear things that ears are not meant to hear, Raijinn goes pale. Or, well, as pale as one can get when they have deep red skin.

Raijinn kneels down to be closer to Burahl. "My friend," he whispers. "Did you just 'hear' that dragon talk?" Raijinn carefully omits the part where he thinks he might be losing his mind. But looking in his eyes clearly displays an uncommon level of worry.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven looks down at the little dragon. "You're free. You owe me nothing. If you want to join us, do so. But I don't want your service, Majenko. It isn't any more right for you to serve me than for you to be slave to him."


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Burahl looks up at Raijinn, with a slightly disturbed look.
"You mean that little dragon did actually talk to us?"

He blinks a few times then says a bit hazily.
"I thought that was still a remnant of my visit to the Dragon's Breath."

Burahl gets a few tubes out of his bag and pours in a bit of the poison in each one. He dips a few of his crossbow bolts in it. As he does this he absent-midndedly continues.

"Majenko was his name wasn't it? Can't say that I'm familiar with such small dragons. How about you my friend? You know anything of it?"

Knowledge: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Nature or Arcana


Global Buffs:

Majenko blinks a few times at Thaven. 'Your generocity knows no bounds, human. You must know that it is custom to pledge service in thanks for large services. It would not be servitude, it would be repayment. Please, for the sake of my pride, allow me to serve you.'

Burahl recalls a few things about the pseudodragons. Tiny red flying creatures that infest most of Korvosa, they're cousins of true dragons. A few times a year, they have territorial wars with the imps that also infest the city. Their tails contain a deadly poison. They're about as intelligent, on average, as an average humanoid.

Nodding in compliance, Barvasi struggles to rise, bound, and leads the party Who is going down and who is staying here? down the stairs into the hold of the ship. Arriving on the bottom of the stairs in a hallway with many doors, Barvasi leads the party to a door in the southeast corner of the hallway, bringing them into a meeting room with a door to the south and to the north.

"Right this way, good sirs." says Barvasi with a grin as he leads the party to the southern door.

Sense Motive DC 12:
Barvasi is leading you to the wrong door, and has treachery in mind.

GM Rolls:
Barvasi Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


I had been planning to stay behind with Barvasi, but since we're taking him now, I believe that I am holding the end of the rope.

At Burahl's explanation and Thaven and the dragon having a conversation, Raijinn calms down. He looks at the small dragon with a smile. "You are certainly a curiosity, dear creature."

"We would be honoured to have you with us," Raijinn looked the dragon in the eyes and gave a small bow, wondering what other absurd things they might collect. A mage's soul, a small dragon, what could possibly be next?

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18Let's see if Raijinn knows anything about pseudodragons.

"I suspect that a certain someone hasn't been feeding you well," Raijinn spoke to the small dragon, giving Barvasi a kick as he said it. "Perhaps you would like to do some hunting while he leads us to his chambers?"

Raijinn picks up the rope attached to Barvasi, and gives him a slight shove. "You. Walk."

And when we get downstairs, let's see how this goes.

Annnd of course Raijinn has no skills. Luckily he does have SOME Wisdom.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Raijinn stops Barvasi and spins him around. He shoves the man up against the wall of the ship. "Have you already forgotten what happened to your men upstairs? Lie to me again and I'll take one of your hands."


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven looks at the dragon. "Fair enough then. If it's your choice, I'm happy to have another set of eyes to watch for trouble."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Thaven's going with, two arrows drawn and nocked.

Seeing Barvasi attempt treachery, Thaven smiles slightly. "He can still talk without his ear, can't he?" Thaven raises his bow and sights at the man's ear.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki scowled at Barvasi, poking the back of his neck with one of her knives. "Really?" Thats all she says.


Global Buffs:

Barvasi laughs, but can be seen sweating a bit at his deception unraveled. "Of- of course! How could I have forgotten, my office is just in here, not in there. Silly of me."

He turns around, leading the group to the northward door.

"Well, I can't exactly open it myself, can I?" he says with a knaveish smile.


Does no one want to open the door?


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Can't we check it for traps first? Burahl can be noisy, but he is careful


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki totally checks that door for traps.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

She elbows Barvasi out of the way and peers over that door quite intently.


Global Buffs:

Akiki totally finds no traps wired into the door. Actually, it isn't even locked. It's just a simple wooden ship's door.

Where's our wizard gone?


Raijinn frowns, not quite trusting it. He motions for Akiki and Burahl to back away from the door. He looks at it and furs his brow, concentrating. Sweat beads form on his forehead as he focuses, trying to remember how he did this the last time. He stares hard at the door, and moves his hand.

Cast "Open" on the door.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven keeps his arrow trained on Barvasi, ready to feather him should anything prove treacherous!


Global Buffs:

The door swooshes open with a fizzling sound to reveal a somewhat messy office. Papers lie on desks, along with quite a few valuable-looking items. Apparently, Barvasi collects the best of the loot just as Gaedren did.

Barvasi motions into the room, to the desk. "There, the two open envelopes, quality stationery, addressed to 'My Kitty'. That's what you're looking for."

Barvasi smiles at Thaven, despite the threat of imminent violence. "You aren't afraid of me, are you? I'm unarmed, unarmored, and tied up. What threat could I possibly pose?"


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven looks at the man. "Measure twice, cut once." is all he says.


Raijinn looks incredibly pleased with himself for managing to open the door and shoves Barvasi through it and into the room, following closely behind.

It seems in Fredo's nature to go right for the information, which Raijinn expects him to handle by this point, so he'll instead look around for anything else interesting.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

It's been a hell of a week for me. Fordham Law lost my registration information, and I've had to work thirteen-hour days...

Fredo clicks his tongue in seeming disappointment at Barvasi's attempted deception, then flashes Raijin an encouraging smile before pouncing on the envelopes. Or, rather, he barely stops himself pouncing on the envelopes just before he touches them. This is for Cressida, after all, not him, so if he can avoid damaging or smudging the writing with the oil of his fingers, he will. Instead, he concentrates for a moment, and one piece of parchment worms its way out of the envelope, unfolds itself, and hovers before Fredo's face so he can read it.

Cast prestidigation. It's no mage hand, but a piece of parchment should weigh less than a pound. What do I read?


Global Buffs:

As long as you didnt run away, I'm good :D

This room is small and simple, and contains only a few pieces of furniture. An ornate bed sits against one wall, while a dresser and round table sit against the other. A (locked) wooden sea chest sits at the foot of the bed.

Even a cursory reading shows this letter to be a love letter of a scandalous affair between a married woman and Amprei, also a married man. A more detailed reading shows that the woman he's been having an affair with to be the wife of an important Chelaxian nobleman. They apparently had been meeting aboard the Goldenhawk.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki just snorts at Barvasi, "Nah, you're just a traitorous bastard. There's a difference between fear and intelligence" She lurked over Goffred's shoulder to read.

Ugh. Once a bad guy, always a bad guy, apparently.


Status:
HP: 38/38; AC: 17, T: 14, FF: 14; CMD: 15; Fort: 6, Ref: 7, Will: 3; Init +3; Perception +10
Ratfolk Alchemist 5

Burahl sidles up to Fredo and stretches himself to see the letter.
"What does it say? I can't quite see it."

Burahl looks at the valuables in the room and tries to see if anything is alchemical or poisonous in nature.

701 to 750 of 1,824 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / CotCT Gameplay Thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.