If you could cast one spell per level in real life what would you pick?


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

1 to 50 of 232 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Mine would be

0 prestidigitation
1 comprehend languages
2 locate object
3 fly
4 Improved Invisibility
5 Major Creation
6 heal
7 teleport w/o error
8 polymorph any object
9 wish


Yqatuba wrote:

Mine would be

0 prestidigitation
1 comprehend languages
2 locate object
3 fly
4 Improved Invisibility
5 Major Creation
6 heal
7 teleport w/o error
8 polymorph any object
9 wish

Wish is cheating.


Circke of death.

There is a guy i want to kill.


0 - Mending
1 - Polypurpose Panacea
2 - Darkvision
3 - Fly
4 - Dimension Door
5 - Telekinesis
6 - Permanent Image
7 - Greater Teleport
8 - Mass Charm Creature
9 - Time Stop


0: Mending
1: Endure Elements
2: Make whole
3: Remove Disease
4: Tongues
5: Overland flight
6: Heroes Feast
7: Mage's Magnificent Mansion
8: Summon nature's ally 8
9: Shapechange


Are the spells at will or x/day?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sometimes I look over to Mrs Cavall and think...

Silence


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Do I have to pick one spell list and stick with it, or can I cherry pick for spells certain classes get at lower spell levels?

Also, if I just run Cat6 Cable through the portal to my greater demiplane, that means I can get the internet in there right?


I'm assuming these are SLA's.
1 Expeditious Retreat
2 Zone of Truth
3 Fly
4 Blessing of Fervor
5 Dust Form
6 heal
7 Restoration, Greater
8 Moment of Prescience
9 Wish


0: Create water.
1: Endure Elements
2: Harvest Season
3: Cure Moderate Wounds
4: Greater Neutralize Poison
5: Mass Bull's Strength
6: Hammer of Mending
7: Resurrection
8: Screen
9: Bilocation


No one down with invisibility?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
hellatze wrote:

Circke of death.

There is a guy i want to kill.

A guy?......as in just one?


DrunkInRlyeh wrote:


1 - Polypurpose Panacea

Funny. My alchemist prepares this any time he has extract slots left over.


Are we assuming we get access to all of them at once, or do we gain them one at a time over weeks/months?
If we gain them slowly am I allowed to replace older ones as I gain new ones?
How many times a day can we cast hem?


Well this sounds fun! Gonna use the wizard list for this one.

0: Mending; Cause when the comp crashes I want my slaps to actually fix it!
1: Magic Missile; Because Magic Missile
2: Bullet Shield; Since first thing someone sees me slinging spells I'm probably gonna get shot at, and well increasing my chances of NOT being shot is a good idea
3: Fireball; Because FIREBALL
4: Quieting Weapons; Because the image of putting this spell on a artillery piece and only hearing a pitiful 'phut' amuses me
5: Baleful Polymorph; The best revenge on someone is turning them into a chicken!
6: Beast Shape IV; change in to dinosaurs and other lost creatures, take photos, make mad profit from 'incredible artistry'
7: Mage’s Magnificent Mansion; Never pay for a hotel again!
8; Greater Teleport (With Still Spell Metamagic); For easy travel, and when someone manages to pin you to the ground
9; Summon Monster IX; And now you have ALL OF THE FRIENDS!


^Wonder how many trolls you'd get saying you drew the dinosaurs wrong . . . .


Alex Mack wrote:
No one down with invisibility?

Might be fun, but probably not too useful in daily life.

My list would be:
0 - Prestidigitation
1 - Unseen Servant
2 - Tears to Wine
3 - Voluminous Vocabulary
4 - Create Drug
5 - Polymorph
6 - Heal
7 - Age Resistance, Greater
8 - Euphoric Tranquility
9 - Teleportation Circle


0 create water
1 cure light wounds
2 invisibility
3 water walk
4 polymorph
5 raise dead orteleport
6 heal
7 teleport without error orage resistance
8 some divination
9 create demiplan greater


How many times could we cast these per day?


0 Prestidigitation
This is a useful spell with a lot of applications. Like heating food or changing its flavor and all sorts of other great things.

1 Unseen Servant
Someone to do all the things you don't want to do. Cleaning and stuff like that.

2 Tongues
Make people able to speak and understand any language that intelligent creatures have. This will be important to know if an alien is intelligent and how to communicate with them.

3 Fly
Fly is fun and will make me able to move in space without rockets if I need to.

4 Planetary Adaptation
No need for heavy space suits anymore

5 Hammer of Mending
If something brakes I can fixe it

6 Heal
If someones ill or hurt I can most likely fix the problem.

7 Resurrection
If your dead I can make you live again.

8 Glimpse of The Akashic
Gaining a +15-20 on almost everything will probably be handy. +15 on diplomacy when talking to an alien diplomat.

9 Interplanetary Teleport
Now i can put satellites into orbit or help create moon bases or Mars bases if. Also, explore the universe. Can teleport me and up to 6 others. If we all have a strength of 10 we can carry. 350 Kg per trip.
that means we could bring up something like Hubble telescope in 33 trips. As long as we can put it together in space.

Could send telescopes and stuff to different galaxies and they would not need to send the data back. just save it to an hdd and we can swop it out for a new one each week or so.


Alex Mack wrote:
No one down with invisibility?

"Would you rather be able to fly or turn invisible?" is a conversation starter I've heard.

But it tends to sound creepy to want to turn invisible, as opposed to having other magic powers. It's really only useful for doing crimes.


0 - Light
1 - Unseen Servant
2 - Detect Thoughts
3 - Fly
4 - Invisibility, Greater
5 - Teleport
6 - Beast Shape IV
7 - Mage's Magnificent Mansion
8 - Form of the Dragon III
9 - Gate

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

0-prestidigitation
1-silent image
2-fox's cunning
3-fly
4-tongues
5-fabricate
6-heal
7-greater teleport
8-polymorph any object
9-time stop


I’m assuming at will SLA and that we’ll never have access to any other magic. Off the top of my head:

0- prestidigitation : so many reasons why this is useful
1- Endure elements [mythic] : not too hot. Not too cold. All you need is a light jacket.
2- Knock :
3- fly : because yea
4- tongues : universal Translator
5- baleful polymorph [mythic] : everyone is a squirrel!
6- heal : a catch all cure for what ailes you
7- greater teleport: the TSA can suck it
8- polymorph any object : all the things!
9- wish : I know its cheating, but I like options


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'd allow Wish, but you'd need a $5,000,000 diamond as a material component.


Matthew Downie wrote:
I'd allow Wish, but you'd need a $5,000,000 diamond as a material component.

With polymorph any object and a non-magic Saavy population that’s not really a problem

Edit: or heal billionaires at an absurd cost
Or use wish to get cyclic reincarnation to charge a few billionaires for eternal life
Or wish to make someone stronger, smarter, etc. charging an exorbitante fee of course.

Etc. Point being that requiring the material components in this thought exercise adds no real value to the hypothetical situation.

Grand Lodge

0-Mending
1-Endure Elements
2-Invisiblity
3-Lightning Bolt
4-Tongues
5-Overland Flight
6-Heal
7-Greater Teleport
8-Earthquake
9-Foresight


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Polymorph any Object wrote:
This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine.

I imagine there'd be a way to make a lot of money with magic, but I don't think you can make diamonds and there's only so many you could buy...


Matthew Downie wrote:
Polymorph any Object wrote:
This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine.
I imagine there'd be a way to make a lot of money with magic, but I don't think you can make diamonds and there's only so many you could buy...

You’re thinking too linear.

You make lead into gold then sell the gold to buy real diamond.

Edit : or 1001 other variations on the theme

Edit 2: or have enough diamonds to use wish to safely gather more from the elemental plane of big ass diamonds

Also diamonds can be manufactured IRL. It’s not even a particularly complex process. Though getting one that’s valued at 5M would probably require a high skill level.


I like Tiny Coffee Golem's list, except for knock. I'd probably pick something else, but I don't know what 2nd level spell I'd choose off hand though.

Edit: Tiny Coffee Golem, with PAO you just make something into something else of value and sell it. I'm not sure precisely what item you go after, but I'm certain there's something. That's how you acquire your diamond for wish.


Let's say they are SLAs an all CL 20. Also they can be cast 10- spell level times per day (so the 5th level spell could be cast 5 times a day)


0: Purify Food & Drink/Prestidigitation
1: Bless/Hypnotism
2: Make Whole/Knock
3: Remove Disease/Nondetection
4: Tongues/Greater Invisibility
5: Hallow/Passwall
6: Heal/Disintegrate
7: Regenerate/Greater Teleport
8: Cure Critical Wounds, Mass/Clone
9: Miracle/Wish


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

You’re thinking too linear.

You make lead into gold then sell the gold to buy real diamond.

Edit : or 1001 other variations on the theme

Edit 2: or have enough diamonds to use wish to safely gather more from the elemental plane of big ass diamonds

Also diamonds can be manufactured IRL. It’s not even a particularly complex process. Though getting one that’s valued at 5M would probably require a high skill level.

I'd think that anything that's unlikely to work in game (like using a Wish to give you access to a dimension with infinite diamonds, or turning lead into gold) wouldn't be allowed.

But I'm sure there are some severely ill rich people in our world who'd pay you millions to cast Heal on them.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:

I like Tiny Coffee Golem's list, except for knock. I'd probably pick something else, but I don't know what 2nd level spell I'd choose off hand though.

The reason I went with Fox's cunning is that I figure a few minutes of super-genius-level thought when considering problems would be extremely handy.

I can't speak for TCG, but regarding PAO: being able to turn anything into anything else has so many applications even without inherent value to the materials.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Purify Food and Drink, for obvious reasons.


I am going to need time and a larger screen than my phone to answer this. Replying so I don't lose the thread.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd say 99% of the posters here would cast nothing because they'd be too busy complaining that the spell isn't right for the level and would never learn it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Fireball, for obvious reasons.

Silver Crusade

The key question to decide this is

Do other people in the world also get this or am I unique?

If I'm unique then obviously spells like Raise Dead and Heal trivially lead to my getting billions of dollars and, also, the power to change the world. Or getting locked into a cell somewhere as the slave of somebody more powerful :-(. Teleport handles a lot of that, mind.

If everybody in the world gets this then I think maybe life bubble and interplanetary teleport since the World will almost certainly destroy itself in the resulting chaos :-)


Depends on what you want to do with them. Personally, I wouldn't be keen on drawing attention or even hostility. Maybe I am the only caster on the planet, but organizations with significant technology can still beat me.

0 Mage Hand
1 Cure Light Wounds
2 Silence (nice in conjunction with Greater Invisibility)
3 Fly (at least for emergencies)
4 Greater Invisibility
5 Life Bubble
6 Heal
7 Greater Teleport
8 Nine Lives
9 Akashic Form (basically a free clone)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

0. Prestidigitation - too many uses to name
1. Disguise Self - anonymity
2. Lesser Restoration - never tired
3. Tongues - communicate with anyone
4. Divination - the Wizard of Wall Street
5. Permanency - part 1 of immortality
6. Heal - self evident
7. Limited Wish - most everything else
8. Create Demiplane - part 2 of immortality
9. Astral Projection - part 3 of immortality

I create a couple of permanent demiplanes and use Astral Projection in one of them to place my body in suspended animation while creating a new body on Earth. De Facto immortality.

Divination is used in my new career managing investment portfolios.

Limited Wish is the catch-all for everything I only need once in a great while. With the wealth gained using Divination to predict the stock market, the material component should be a non-issue.

Under no circumstances would I ever tell anyone I can use magic. Disguise Self and permanent Tongues allow me to fade into the general population anywhere in the world, at a moments notice, just in case.

Shadow Lodge

0- Prestidigitation

1st mage armor

2nd: Augury should I invest in PuppyCo? Become a stock broker. Cash is the greatest superpower.

3rd: Clairvoyance Rent a room near the capital. Profit.

4th: Claim Identity

5th : Baleful polymorph

6th: heal

7th: Greater Teleport

8th: Form of the exotic dragon III

9th: True res.


Claxon wrote:

I like Tiny Coffee Golem's list, except for knock. I'd probably pick something else, but I don't know what 2nd level spell I'd choose off hand though.

Edit: Tiny Coffee Golem, with PAO you just make something into something else of value and sell it. I'm not sure precisely what item you go after, but I'm certain there's something. That's how you acquire your diamond for wish.

I wasn’t sure what second level spell to take either. I settled on knock because being able to open any door appeals to me. It wasn’t a totally arbitrary decision, but it was close.

For the second part: exactly.


Matthew Downie wrote:
Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

You’re thinking too linear.

You make lead into gold then sell the gold to buy real diamond.

Edit : or 1001 other variations on the theme

Edit 2: or have enough diamonds to use wish to safely gather more from the elemental plane of big ass diamonds

Also diamonds can be manufactured IRL. It’s not even a particularly complex process. Though getting one that’s valued at 5M would probably require a high skill level.

I'd think that anything that's unlikely to work in game (like using a Wish to give you access to a dimension with infinite diamonds, or turning lead into gold) wouldn't be allowed.

But I'm sure there are some severely ill rich people in our world who'd pay you millions to cast Heal on them.

The thread title includes “in real life.” As Such game balance isn’t a concern.


dotting for later


Volkard Abendroth wrote:

0. Prestidigitation - too many uses to name

1. Disguise Self - anonymity
2. Lesser Restoration - never tired
3. Tongues - communicate with anyone
4. Divination - the Wizard of Wall Street
5. Permanency - part 1 of immortality
6. Heal - self evident
7. Limited Wish - most everything else
8. Create Demiplane - part 2 of immortality
9. Astral Projection - part 3 of immortality

I create a couple of permanent demiplanes and use Astral Projection in one of them to place my body in suspended animation while creating a new body on Earth. De Facto immortality.

Divination is used in my new career managing investment portfolios.

Limited Wish is the catch-all for everything I only need once in a great while. With the wealth gained using Divination to predict the stock market, the material component should be a non-issue.

Under no circumstances would I ever tell anyone I can use magic. Disguise Self and permanent Tongues allow me to fade into the general population anywhere in the world, at a moments notice, just in case.

I’d like to change my answers to Match these.

Edit: greater demiplane would be better, but given the limitations of the exercise I like your answers. You’ll just need to be sure that you never end the astral projection, possibly by being killed. If you do and you recast immediately then you’ll age 30 min. Wouldn’t want to do that too often.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well, might as well make it as versatile as possible, and I don't exactly want to blow through the world's diamond supply, so:

0 - Prestidigitation
1 - Disguise Self
2 - Invisibility
3 - Aura Sight
4 - Greater Make Whole
5 - Fabricate
6 - Greater Shadow Enchantment
7 - Greater Shadow Conjuration
8 - Greater Shadow Evocation
9 - Foresight


SLAs don't need any components right? So you could cast wish/miracle with no diamond.


Yqatuba wrote:
SLAs don't need any components right? So you could cast wish/miracle with no diamond.

Correct. Assuming these powers are SLAs diamonds would not be a factor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Downie wrote:
I imagine there'd be a way to make a lot of money with magic, but I don't think you can make diamonds and there's only so many you could buy...

Fabricate + science-made diamonds would be likely be sufficient for the task. Although you have additional questions as to how to value diamonds IRL, which would be a huge headache and bring in politics and be a pretty terrible discussion.

1 to 50 of 232 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / If you could cast one spell per level in real life what would you pick? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.