|Paizo Pathfinder® Paizo Games|
|About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ|
About Emrael Bladewalker
Father and Mother were adventurers. Emrael has never learned where they came from, just that they left their respective homes to wander the world and eventually Desna brought them together. And gave them a daughter.
Father was always disappointed that Emrael did not show more interest in the path of the wizard. She just found it so hard to sit still and listen and learn his lessons. Mother thought that she would grow to be a beautiful bard, but the angelic child's voice gave way to a woman's rather plain voice, not suitable for a great bard. And, try as she might, Emrael did not find it in herself to look at, to look into, those that would be her audience. Mother could look at a crowd and know what they needed to hear. Emrael could only see what she wanted to say.
But Mother was skilled with a blade and Emrael was not stupid, just impatient. Eventually, she found that when she moved, when she practiced the bladework that Mother required of her, the magic came to her more easily. Father would ask her questions and she would recite the answers to him as well as any mage's apprentice. She could even - almost! - cast the basic spells as long as she was in motion.
Deciding that her path was that of the warrior, Father and Mother brought her to the Old Man. They said they would be back in one year to collect her and they expected a well-trained swordswoman when they returned. They never came back.
The Old Man actually was not old - not to an elf. He had seen perhaps another decade more than his pupil. But he was a master at shaping swordsmen and, rarely, swordswomen. He told Emrael many times that he had never worked with any that were not human before, but he owed Father a debt. He never told her what the debt was or where it had been incurred, just that he could not die until his debts were paid in full.
Emrael found herself alone for the first time ever. No Father, no Mother, no Old Man. As she walked, a man stepped out of the shadows of a tree and told her to give him her money. Having none, she refused. The man drew a short sword to convince her. She drew her katana and changed his mind and he left. The next time she saw the man, he was much more polite. He said he knew a man that would sponsor a warrior like Emrael and she should follow him.
The elves of 1000 Pines do not know what happened to Father and Mother. But they have accepted Emrael as one of their own and she is indebted to them for giving her a new place to call home.
Magus (Kensai, favored) 16
likely Arcane Pool choices:
For more attacks: Apply dancing property to DemonRazor and wield Cutter
For harder hits: Wield only Cutter with enhancements to +5 Keen and a burst property (flaming, shocking, or icy)
Magus Arcana: Arcane Accuracy, swift action, 1 point
Base concentration check: 1d20+CL(16)+Int Mod(7)
0-level spells (4/day)
1st-level spells (5-1+2/day, Base DC 18)
2nd-level spells (5-1+2/day, Base DC 19)
3rd-level spells (5-1+2/day, Base Dc 20)
4th-level spells (4-1+1/day, Base DC 21)
5th-level spells (3-1+1/day, Base DC 22)
6th-level spells (1-1+1/day, Base DC 23)
AC 40 or 35, touch 26, flat-footed 21 (Armor +5 [bracers] or +10 [feat], Dex +5, Int +7 (canny defense, treat as Dex), Dodge +1, Deflection +4, Natural +3, Combat Expertise and Haste +4 for AC 44)
CMD 32 (10, BAB +12, Str +5, Dex +5)
hp 116 (16d8 [magus]+16 [Con]+16 [favored])
Base Atk +12; CMB +17
Melee two-handed katana (Cutter) +24/19/14 (1d8+14, 15-20/x2) (+5 Keen Flaming Burst)
Melee PA 2H katana (Cutter) +21/16/11 (1d8+23, 15-20/x2) (+5 Keen Flaming Burst)
Melee one-handed katana (Cutter) +24/19/14 (1d8+12, 15-20/x2) (+5 Keen Flaming Burst)
Melee PA 1H katana (Cutter) +21/16/11 (1d8+18, 15-20/x2) (+5 Keen Flaming Burst)
Melee two-handed katana (DemonRazor) +20/15/10 (1d8+10, 15-20/x2)
Melee two-handed katana (Cutter) +23/18/13 (1d8+13, 18-20/x2)
Ranged longbow +18/13/8 (1d8+6, 20/x3)[/b]
STATS, FEATS & SKILLS:
Statistics STR 16 (20), DEX 16 (20), CON 12, INT 18 (24), WIS 12, CHA 10
Feats Dodge (1st), Weapon Focus (katana) (class bonus, 1st), Combat Expertise (3rd), Mobility (5th), Power Attack (class bonus, 5th), Weapon Specialization (katana) (7th), Spring Attack (9th), Lunge (11th), Greater Weapon Focus (katana) (class bonus, 11th), Whirlwind Attack (13th), Web of Steel (15th)
Acrobatics +21: [+16 headband ranks, +5 ability]
Languages Common, Common Oriental, Draconic, Elven, Sylvan
Combat Gear: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (34, req UMD DC 20), Potion of Lesser Restoration (2), Wand of Protection from Evil (50, req UMD DC 20), Wand of Entropic Shield (50, req UMD DC 20), Wand of Cure Critical Wounds (48, req UMD DC 20), Wand of Death Ward (49, req UMD DC 20)
Other Gear (carried): +1 Keen Holy Katana (named DemonRazor), +4 Katana (named Cutter), Amulet of Natural Armor +3, Bag of Holding II, Belt of Physical Might +4, Boots of Speed (carried), Slippers of Spider Climbing, Bracers of Armor +5, Handy Haversack, Headband of Vast Intellect +6, Ring of Protection +4, Composite longbow +1 (STR 20), Efficient Quiver, 60 arrows, 10 javelins, Basic gear and spell components, 1761 gp, 2 sp
Encumbrance ? lb
1372 Ramp Trap at House of Nine Swords
References: Elven Racial Traits:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Constitution: Elves are nimble, both in body and mind, but their form is frail.
Medium: Elves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light. See Chapter 7.
Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Elven Magic: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance.
In addition, elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.
Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), longswords, rapiers, and shortbows (including composite shortbows), and treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Elves begin play speaking Common and Elven. Elves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
References: Magus (Kensai) Abilities:
There are those who spend their lives poring over ancient tomes and texts, unlocking the power of magic, and there are those who spend their time perfecting the use of individual weapons, becoming masters without equal. The magus is at once a student of both philosophies, blending magical ability and martial prowess into something entirely unique, a discipline in which both spell and steel are used to devastating effect. As he grows in power, the magus unlocks powerful forms of arcana that allow him to merge his talents further, and at the pinnacle of his art, the magus becomes a blur of steel and magic, a force that few foes would dare to stand against.
A kensai spends his life focusing his training and meditation into a rapturous perfection of the use of a single weapon, which is usually but not always a sword, channeling his arcane might through it in a dizzying and deadly dance beyond the abilities of even the greatest of mundane warriors.
Role: Magi spend much of their time traveling the world, learning whatever martial or arcane secrets they can find. They might spend months learning a new swordfighting style from a master warrior, while simultaneously moonlighting in the local library, poring through tomes of ancient lore. Most who take this path dabble in all sorts of lore, picking up anything that might aid them in their search for perfection.
Hit Die: d8.
The magus’s class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier.
The following are the class features of the magus.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A kensai is proficient in simple weapons and in a single martial or exotic melee weapon of his choice. A kensai is not proficient with armor or shields and suffers normal arcane spell failure chance when casting magus spells while armored.
Spells: A magus casts arcane spells drawn from the magus spell list presented on page 13. A magus must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time.
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the magus must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a magus’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the magus’s Intelligence modifier.
A magus can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1–1. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–3 on page 17 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook). A kensai may cast one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, he may cast spells of that level only if his Intelligence allows bonus spells of that level.
A magus may know any number of spells. He must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time by getting 8 hours of sleep and spending 1 hour studying his spellbook. While studying, the magus decides which spells to prepare.
Spellbooks: A magus must study his spellbook each day to prepare his spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook except for read magic, which all magi can prepare from memory. A magus begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level magus spells plus three 1st-level magus spells of his choice. The magus also selects a number of additional 1st-level magus spells equal to his Intelligence modifier to add to his spellbook. At each new magus level, he gains two new magus spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new magus level) for his spellbook. At any time, a magus can also add spells found in other spellbooks to his own (see Chapter 9 of the Core Rulebook).
A magus can learn spells from a wizard’s spellbook, just as a wizard can from a magus’s spellbook. The spells learned must be on the magus spell list, as normal. An alchemist (see the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player’s Guide) can learn formulae from a magus’s spellbook, if the spells are also on the alchemist spell list. A magus cannot learn spells from an alchemist.
Arcane Pool (Su): At 1st level, the magus gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his magus level (minimum 1) + his Intelligence modifier. The pool refreshes once per day when the magus prepares his spells.
At 1st level, a magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.
At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier (see Table 15–9 on page 469 of the Core Rulebook). These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the magus uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the magus.
A magus can only enhance one weapon in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.
Cantrips: A magus can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table 1–1 under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again.
Canny Defense (Ex): At 1st level, when a kensai is wielding his chosen weapon, he gains the canny defense ability. This is identical to the duelist prestige class ability of the same name (Core Rulebook 382), save that his chosen weapon may be of any type.
Weapon Focus (Ex): At 1st level, a kensai gains Weapon Focus with his chosen weapon as a bonus feat.
Spell Combat (Ex): At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty.
A magus can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.
Spellstrike (Su): At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the magus makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.
Magus Arcana: As he gains levels, a magus learns arcane secrets tailored to his specific way of blending martial puissance and magical skill. Starting at 3rd level, a magus gains one magus arcana. He gains an additional magus arcana for every three levels of magus attained after 3rd level. Unless specifically noted in a magus arcana’s description, a magus cannot select a particular magus arcana more than once. Magus arcana that affect spells can only be used to modify spells from the magus spell list unless otherwise noted.
- Accurate Strike (Ex): The magus can expend 2 points from his arcane pool as a swift action to resolve all of his melee weapon attacks until the end of his turn as melee touch attacks. The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this arcana.
- Arcane Accuracy (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant himself an insight bonus equal to his Intelligence bonus on all attack rolls until the end of his turn.
- Arcane Cloak (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool to add his Intelligence bonus to Stealth checks and Bluff checks to create a diversion in order to hide. This bonus lasts for 1 minute.
- Arcane Edge (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as an immediate action after hitting a target with a slashing or piercing weapon in order to deal an amount of bleed damage equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 0). The magus must be at least 9th level before he selects this arcana.
- Arcane Redoubt (Su): As a swift action, the magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool to treat his shield bonus to AC (including any enhancement bonus) as a bonus to touch AC until the beginning of his next turn.
- Arcane Redoubt, Greater (Su): Whenever the magus uses his arcane redoubt magus arcana, he may spend an additional point from his arcane pool in order to apply his shield bonus to AC (including any enhancement bonus) as a bonus on Reflex saves until the beginning of his next turn. If he is targeted with an effect requiring a Reflex save while using this power, he may spend 2 points from his arcane pool as an immediate action to grant himself evasion, or 4 points to grant himself improved evasion. The magus must have the arcane redoubt magus arcana and be at least 12th level to select this magus arcana.
- Bane Blade (Su): Whenever the magus enhances his weapon using his arcane pool, he may spend 1 additional point from his arcane pool to add the bane special ability to the weapon. The magus must be at least 15th level before selecting this arcana.
- Broad Study (Ex): The magus selects another one of his spellcasting classes. The magus can use his spellstrike and spell combat abilities while casting or using spells from the spell list of that class. This does not allow him to cast arcane spells from that class’s spell list without suffering the normal chances of arcane spell failure, unless the spell lacks somatic components. The magus must be at least 6th level and must possess levels in at least one other spellcasting class before selecting this arcana.
- Close Range (Ex): The magus can deliver ray spells that feature a ranged touch attack as melee touch spells. He can use a ranged touch attack spell that targets more than one creature (such as scorching ray), but he makes only one melee touch attack to deliver one of these ranged touch effects; additional ranged touch attacks from that spell are wasted and have no effect. These spells can be used with the spellstrike class feature.
- Concentrate (Ex): The magus can reroll any concentration check he has just made with a +4 bonus. He must use this ability after the roll is made, but before the roll’s outcome is determined. The magus must take the second roll, even if it is worse. The magus can use this ability once per day.
- Critical Strike (Su): Whenever the magus scores a critical hit with a melee weapon, he may cast a spell with a range of touch as a swift action, then make a touch attack with that spell against the target of the critical hit as a free action. The magus can use this ability once per day. The magus must be at least 12th level before selecting this arcana.
- Devoted Blade (Su): Whenever the magus enhances his weapon using his arcane pool, he may spend 1 additional point from his arcane pool to add either the anarchic, axiomatic, holy, or unholy special ability to the list of available options. A magus may only add one of these abilities if it matches his own alignment. The magus must be at least 12th level before selecting this arcana.
- Dispelling Strike (Su): The magus can spend 1 or more points from his arcane pool as a swift action to imbue his weapon with a special power. If the weapon strikes a creature within the next minute, that creature is the subject of a targeted dispel magic using the magus’s level as the caster level, except that this effect cannot dispel a spell of a level higher than the number of arcane pool points expended to activate this ability (treat higher-level spells as if they do not exist and apply the dispel attempt to the remaining spells with the highest caster level). Once the strike is made, the power dissipates, even if the dispel attempt is unsuccessful.
The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this arcana.
- Disruptive (Ex): The magus gains Disruptive as a bonus feat. The magus must be at least 6th level before selecting this arcana.
- Empowered Magic (Su): The magus can cast one spell per day as if it were modified by the Empower Spell feat. This does not increase the casting time or the level of the spell.
The magus must be at least 6th level before selecting this magus arcana.
- Enduring Blade (Su): Whenever the magus enchants his weapon using his arcane pool, he may spend 1 additional point from his arcane pool to increase the duration to 1 minute per magus level. The magus must be at least 6th level before selecting this arcana.
- Familiar (Ex): The magus gains a familiar, using his magus level as his effective wizard level. This familiar follows the rules for familiars presented in the arcane bond wizard class feature.
- Ghost Blade (Su): Whenever the magus enchants his weapon using his arcane pool, he may spend 1 additional point from his arcane pool to add the brilliant energy and ghost touch special abilities to the list of available options. The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this arcana.
- Hasted Assault (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to move more quickly. This functions as haste, but only targets the magus and lasts for a number of rounds equal to the magus’s Intelligence bonus.
The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this magus arcana.
- Lingering Pain (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as an immediate action after hitting a target with a weapon attack. All damage from that attack (including damage from a spell cast using the spellstrike ability) is considered continuous damage for the purposes of any concentration checks made by the target prior to the beginning of the magus’s next turn.
- Maneuver Mastery (Ex): The magus has mastered one combat maneuver. He selects one maneuver when selecting this arcana. Whenever he is attempting the selected maneuver, he uses his magus level in place of his base attack bonus (in addition to any base attack bonus gained from other classes). A magus can select this magus arcana more than once. Its effects do not stack. Each time he selects this arcana, he selects another combat maneuver.
- Maximized Magic (Su): The magus can cast one spell per day as if it were modified by the Maximize Spell feat. This does not increase the casting time or the level of the spell.
The magus must be at least 12th level before selecting this magus arcana.
- Pool Strike (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a standard action to charge his free hand with energy. He can make a melee touch attack with that hand as a free action as part of activating this ability. If the touch attack hits, it releases the charge and deals 2d6 points of energy damage (acid, cold, electricity, or fire, chosen when he spends the arcane pool point to activate this ability). He can use this ability with the spellstrike class feature. If he misses with this attack, he can hold the charge for up to 1 minute before it dissipates. At 6th level, and every three levels thereafter, the amount of damage dealt by this attack increases by 1d6. At 15th level, this ability does 6d6 points of energy damage.
- Pool Strike, Arcing (Su): The magus can expend 1 additional point from his arcane pool when using the pool strike arcana. If his attack hits, the magus can target a number of enemies within 15 feet equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 0) with a ranged touch attack as a free action. Those struck take the same energy damage as the primary target of the pool strike, including increased damage on a critical hit. The magus must be at least 12th level and must have the pool strike magus arcana before selecting this magus arcana.
- Pool Strike, Clinging (Su): The magus can expend 1 additional point from his arcane pool when making a pool strike. A single target of his pool strike takes energy damage as normal from the pool strike and also takes half this amount of damage at the beginning of its turn on the following round. The magus must be at least 9th level and must have the pool strike magus arcana before selecting this magus arcana.
- Pool Strike, Thunderous (Su): The magus can expend 1 additional point from his arcane pool when making a pool strike. His pool strike deals sonic damage and deafens a single target for 1 round (DC 10 + 1/2 magus level + Intelligence modifier). The magus must be at least 6th level and must have the pool strike magus arcana before selecting this magus arcana.
- Prescient Attack (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as an immediate action after hitting a target with a weapon attack, allowing him to anticipate his opponent’s defenses. The target is denied its Dexterity bonus against the magus’s attacks until the end of the magus’s next turn. The magus must be at least 6th level before selecting this arcana.
- Prescient Defense (Su): The magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as an immediate action after hitting a target with a weapon attack, granting him a premonition of his enemy’s intentions. The magus gains a bonus to his AC and on Reflex saves equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 0) against attacks by that opponent until the beginning of his next turn. The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this arcana.
- Quickened Magic (Su): The magus can cast one spell per day as if it were modified by the Quicken Spell feat. This does not increase the level of the spell. The magus must be at least 15th level before selecting this magus arcana.
- Reflection (Su): The magus can sacrifice 1 or more points from his arcane pool as an immediate action to reflect a spell back at its caster. This functions as spell turning, but only if the targeted spell is of a level equal to or lower than the number of points expended. If insufficient points are expended, they instead grant an insight bonus on any saving throws allowed by the spell, equal to the number of points spent. The magus must be at least 15th level before selecting this magus arcana.
- Rod Mastery (Su): Whenever the magus uses a rod, he calculates the DC for any spell it contains using his Intelligence modifier (minimum 0) instead of the minimum modifier needed to cast a spell of that level.
- Rod Wielder (Su): The magus adds his Intelligence bonus (minimum 0) on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance when using a spell contained within a rod or when making a spellstrike attack channeled through a rod.
- Silent Magic (Su): The magus can cast one spell per day as if it were modified by the Silent Spell feat. This does not increase the casting time or the level of the spell.
- Spell Blending (Ex): When a magus selects this arcana, he must select one spell from the wizard spell list that is of a magus spell level he can cast. He adds this spell to his spellbook and list of magus spells known as a magus spell of its wizard spell level. He can instead select two spells to add in this way, but both must be at least one level lower than the highest-level magus spell he can cast. A magus can select this magus arcana more than once.
- Spell Shield (Su): The magus can expend a point from his arcane pool as an immediate action to grant himself a shield bonus to AC equal to his Intelligence bonus until the end of his next turn.
- Spellbreaker (Ex): The magus gains Spellbreaker as a bonus feat. The magus must be at least 9th level before selecting this arcana.
- Still Magic (Su): The magus can cast one spell per day as if it were modified by the Still Spell feat. This does not increase the casting time or the level of the spell.
- Wand Mastery (Su): Whenever The magus uses a wand, he calculates the DC for any spell it contains using his Intelligence modifier, instead of the minimum modifier needed to cast a spell of that level.
- Wand Wielder (Su): The magus can activate a wand or staff in place of casting a spell when using spell combat.
Perfect Strike (Ex): At 4th level, when a kensai hits with his chosen weapon, he can spend 1 point from his arcane pool in order to maximize his weapon damage. Don’t roll for damage—the weapon deals maximum damage. This affects only the weapon’s base damage dice, not additional damage from sneak attack, magical weapon properties, spellstrike, or critical hits.
If the kensai confirms a critical hit, he can instead spend 2 points from his arcane pool to increase his weapon’s critical multiplier by 1. This ability replaces spell recall.
Bonus Feats: At 5th level, and every six levels thereafter, a magus gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as combat, item creation, or metamagic feats. He must meet the prerequisites for these feats as normal.
Fighter Training (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a kensai counts his magus level –3 as his fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats (if he has levels in fighter, these levels stack), but forfeits the benefit of such feats with weapons other than his favored weapon. This ability replaces knowledge pool.
Iaijutsu (Ex): At 7th level, a kensai applies his Intelligence modifier as well as his Dexterity modifier on initiative rolls (minimum 0). A kensai may make attacks of opportunity when flat-footed, and may draw his favored weapon as a free action as part of taking an attack of opportunity. This ability replaces the medium armor ability.
Improved Spell Combat (Ex): At 8th level, the magus’s ability to cast spells and make melee attacks improves.
When using the spell combat ability, the magus receives a +2 circumstance bonus on concentration checks, in addition to any bonus granted by taking an additional penalty on the attack roll.
Critical Perfection (Ex): At 9th level, a kensai adds his Intelligence bonus (minimum 0) on critical hit confirmation rolls with his favored weapon. In addition, the kensai may use his magus levels in place of his base attack bonuses to qualify for Critical Focus and any feat for which it is a prerequisite; these feats apply only with a kensai’s favored weapon. This ability replaces the magus arcana normally gained at 9th level.
Superior Reflexes (Ex): At 11th level, kensai can make a number of attacks of opportunity in a round equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). This effect stacks with the Combat Reflexes feat. This ability replaces improved spell recall.
Iaijutsu Focus (Ex): At 13th level, a kensai may always act and may draw his weapon as a swift action during a surprise round, though he is considered flat-footed until he acts. During a surprise round or when attacking a flat-footed opponent, he adds his Intelligence modifier on damage with his chosen weapon (minimum 0). This ability replaces heavy armor.
Greater Spell Combat (Ex): At 14th level, the magus gains the ability to seamlessly cast spells and make melee attacks. Whenever he uses the spell combat ability, his concentration check bonus equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken.
Counterstrike (Ex): At 16th level, whenever an enemy within reach of the magus successfully casts a spell defensively, that enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from the magus after the spell is complete. This attack of opportunity cannot disrupt the spell.
Iaijutsu Master (Ex): At 19th level, a kensai’s initiative roll is automatically a natural 20 and he is never surprised.
This ability replaces greater spell access.
Weapon Mastery (Ex): At 20th level, a kensai gains weapon mastery with his favored weapon, as the fighter class ability. Any attacks made with the kensai's favored weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type. This ability replaces true magus.
Magus Spell List
Magi gain access to the following spells. While most of these spells are found in the Core Rulebook, those marked with an asterisk (*) appear in Chapter 5 of this book, and those marked with two asterisks (**) appear in the Advanced Player’s Guide.
0-Level Magus Spells—acid splash, arcane mark, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, disrupt undead, flare, ghost sound, light, mage hand, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, spark**.
1st-Level Magus Spells—burning hands, chill touch, color spray, corrosive touch*, enlarge person, expeditious retreat, feather fall, flare burst**, floating disk, frostbite*, grease, hydraulic push**, jump, magic missile, magic weapon, mount, obscuring mist, ray of enfeeblement, reduce person, shield, shocking grasp, silent image, stone fist**, true strike, unseen servant, vanish**.
2nd-Level Magus Spells—acid arrow, alter self, bear’s endurance, blood transcription*, blur, bull’s strength, burning gaze**, cat’s grace, darkness, defensive shock*, elemental touch**, fire breath**, flaming sphere, fog cloud, frigid touch*, glitterdust, gust of wind, invisibility, levitate, minor image, mirror image, pyrotechnics, scorching ray, shatter, spider climb, stone call**, web.
3rd-Level Magus Spells—animal aspect, aqueous orb**, arcane sight, beast shape I, blink, burst of speed, cloak of winds**, daylight, dispel magic, displacement, elemental aura**, fireball, flame arrow, fly, force hook charge*, force punch*, gaseous form, haste, hydraulic torrent**, keen edge, lightning bolt, magic weapon (greater), major image, monstrous physique I*, phantom steed, ray of exhaustion, sleet storm, slow, stinking cloud, undead anatomy I*, vampiric touch, versatile weapon**, water breathing, wind wall.
4th-Level Magus Spells—arcana theft*, ball lightning**, beast shape II, black tentacles, detonate**, dimension door, dragon’s breath**, elemental body I, enlarge person (mass), fire shield, firefall**, ice storm, invisibility (greater), monstrous physique II*, phantasmal killer, reduce person (mass), river of wind**, shout, solid fog, stoneskin, vermin shape I*, wall of fire, wall of ice, wall of sound*, wreath of blades.
5th-Level Magus Spells—acidic spray*, baleful polymorph, beast shape III, cloudkill, cone of cold, corrosive consumption*, elemental body II, fire snake**, geyser**, interposing hand, monstrous physique III*, overland flight, telekinesis, teleport, undead anatomy II*, vermin shape II*, wall of force, wall of stone.
6th-Level Magus Spells—acid fog, bear’s endurance (mass), beast shape IV, bull’s strength (mass), cat’s grace (mass), chain lightning, contagious flame**, disintegrate, dispel magic (greater), elemental body III, flesh to stone, forceful hand, form of the dragon I, freezing sphere, mislead, monstrous physique IV*, sirocco**, stone to flesh, transformation, true seeing, undead anatomy III*, wall of iron.
Reference - Web of Steel feat:
Web of Steel (Combat)
You can use your weapons to protect you as well as armor does.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Dex 15, Dodge, Combat Expertise, Weapon Focus, base attack +1.
Benefit: When you are not flat-footed, wearing light armor or no armor, and have a melee weapon you have Weapon Focus for in hand ready for use, you gain an armor bonus to your AC. This bonus is equal to 1/2 your character level +2. Any circumstance that would cause you to lose your dodge bonus also causes you to lose this armor bonus to AC. Like any armor bonus, it does not stack with other sources of armor.
15 0th-level 15
10 1st-level 10
6 2nd-level 12
6 3rd-level 18
6 4th-level 24
4 5th-level 20 - 99 pages
4 1st-level 4 40 gp 100 gp
2 hours, 2 pages, 40 gp (9x), 150 gp
3 hours, 3 pages, 90 gp (10x), 375 gp
4 hours, 4 pages, 160 gp (7x), 700 gp