Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Hell or High Water - A Skull and Shackles Campaign by Faol Mhor (Inactive)

Game Master Faol Mhor


1 to 50 of 528 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

DAY 1: Waking Up.

The hardwood floor underneath you feels like it’s swaying back and forth. Your head seems to be splitting and your vision is foggy.

The last thing you remember was the grungy bar near the docks, The Formidably Maid, you have no idea where you are or how you got here.

If you look around you there are several other bodies laying on the floor, some of them are stirring and groaning as they come to. If you try to get up you feel dizzy, weak in the knees and sick to your stomach.

Despite your vision being slightly fogy you are all able to determine you are on a ship, the rocking of the room, the giant base of the mast jutting through the ceiling to the floor, and the odd set of stairs coming through the floor nearby are an obvious indication of your location.

Above you is a single lamp that is turned down low casting it’s light in a small radius, not far enough for most of you to see into the darkness of the hold.

If you have Low-light Vision or Darkvision:

You are able to see that you are in a long narrow room, around the walls are what appear to be boxes with locks on them spaced against a wooden wall with braces running from floor to ceiling.

You may take a round of actions, however for the next minute as you adjust and wake up you are sickened ( –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.) Most of the time in situations I’ll indicate what type of actions you can take, such as a full round of actions, or only a move action or a standard action to indicate the time you have to react in a situation.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Fighter(Lore Warden) 1 (HP 12, AC 12/12/10, CMD 14, Init+1, F +4 R +1 W +2, Perc. +7

"Gah, what in the nine hells happened last night?" Felix looks around the room, his sharpened senses looking around

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Elthas winces as the voice comes through the air, one hand raising to rub his eyes as he sits up, his other blindly grabbing in the air beside him where his staff would be leaning had he gone to bed on purpose.

When he realizes its absence he gives a quiet groan and drops to lay back on the floor again, both hands moving up to hold his head which aches from much more than just a hangover. "Unless the reverie traveled to a fish monger that set up shop on a rope bridge, it looks like we've been 'recruited'. Since I don't remember an interview and seem to be lacking... Well, everything, I'm betting we aren't fishing."

Finally sitting up and squinting against the light the thin man wears colorful loose-fitting pants of blue and red fabric, with a grey billowy shirt. He gives a small nod towards any of the others who seem to be coming to and adds. "Elthas."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Fighter(Lore Warden) 1 (HP 12, AC 12/12/10, CMD 14, Init+1, F +4 R +1 W +2, Perc. +7

"Felix. Recruited eh? That doesnt sound like a good thing."

He sits up now, looking at Elthas


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I groan and sit up rubbing my head. "Phew, that was some night. I remember..." In spite of my sickness, a smile crosses my face. In a groggy haze I look over to Elthas. "Hey, ya my bed baby ain'tcha." I reach out to hug Elthas. "Come'ere baby, daddy's got a headache an needs a softer pillow." I attempt to put my head against Elthas's chest.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Felix perception results:

In addition to what was described earlier it appears that this is a cargo hold used by sailors to sleep in at night by stringing up hammocks from the columns through out. At this time it appears to be empty other than small lockers around the sides of the room.


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Elthas looks up at Felix a bit awkwardly when the man nestles up against him, his brow furrowing. Finally, he sighs and shrugs helplessly before patting Gan's hair lightly, whispering in his deepest voice. "Hi, daddy."

Shaking his head and pushing at the man to sit up, he adds. "You might want to open your eyes a bit after drinking so much or you might find yourself the baby, huh? Or bedded to a manatee. If I was your first choice in the hold, then you aren't far off."

Edit: Also, Felix, it was easy to miss but in the discussion thread the DM asked us to edit our character class line in the profile to show our basic stats for quick reference.


Male Human Magus 1; AC 11 T 10 F-f 11; HP 9/9; F +3 R +1 W +3; Init +1; Perception +0

Nicodemus becomes aware of several things all at once; the gentle rocking of the ship, the dimness of the room, the sounds of stirring and groaning around him. And also, the splitting headache pounding away at his skull.
Gingerly pushing himself up into a slouch against the wall of the ship behind him, he hazards a glance about his surroundings and groans in as much frustration as pain; he's heard enough stories in his time with the Navy to hazard a guess at his fate.
Holding his head in his hands to try to quiet the pounding, he speaks up in response to one of the other poor souls in the hold. "If you like scrubbing the decks of a pirate vessel, it'll be grand. If not, then no, our 'recruitment' isn't good at all."


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I sit back in a groggy shock. "Da hell? You ain't no baby! Aw dang! How could you take advantage of a guy not in his right state o mind. You got issues dog." I burp and make a few gagging noises before looking around.

I wince a bit, rub my eyes and force them open to look around again. "Uh. whats goin on? Whys da room movin?" I shake my head again and look back at Elhas. I start to chuckle. "hehe gods. Da hell've I gotten myself into dis time?" I look around. "Dis ain't da tavern bedrooms." I look back at Elthas. "An you sure ain't no dame." I look around one last time. I place my hand on the floor. "Heh, I know dat feelin ane were." Looking at the others. "We on a ship ain't we?' I look puzzled. "Any of ya fellas know what happened?"


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Elthas gives Nicodemus a small nod of respect, recognizing from his simple description of where they are now that the man has spent his own share of time on the water.

Glancing back at Gan again with a shrug and starts to run through his inner monologue aloud, jumping from one thing to the next as he considers possibilities, trying to ignore his pounding head.

"Your guess is as good as ours, I imagine. I'm not worth too much, so unless one of you has a bundle back home and have been blatant about it I doubt we are ransom. If they grabbed this many of us, it must be a pretty good sized ship. I don't drink myself out of my wits, so I doubt they just gathered up those who wound up on the floor naturally. Press gang, maybe? Seems a bit too much of a risk to try and sneak up and sap this many people, even one at a time, and I don't remember even leaving the tavern, so probably poison. Could be sneaky that way, stash some in the food and drink and pick up whoever ingests enough to go down. Those who don't collapse leave none the wiser, thinking they just drank more than expected."

He motions again towards Nicodemus "Since privateers have national loyalty to work off of and less hostile environs can use pay as a motivator, I would wager our friend here is right and we've found ourselves on a pirates vessel. They aren't known for their pranks, so scooping up some stragglers and dumping them elsewhere is likely out. Hopefully you've got some skills they find useful since you don't want to be the example they use to make the others work if we aren't doing a good enough job."

Finally trailing off he sighs and mutters, more to himself than the others. "I just bloody swam from a boat like this and I bet we aren't in sight of harbor anymore."


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I blink in bewilderment at the string of babble. When he finishes I shrug. "Not one lick of dat made sense ta me. But if we on a ship, best make most of it. Our host'll show up soon so best try an shake out yer droops an get shipshape. Wanna look useful for the guys in charge." I slap myself a couple of times to try and get my head clear of any further grogginess. I reach for my things only to find they aren't present. "Huh? Well da folks upstairs yoinked my stuff an left me down here huh. Wonder if that runt tagged along." I look around. [B]"Hey Guinness ya little runt! Where ya hidin lad! Can come out now."

Handle Animal:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 To Come

I leave it up to the GM. If Guinness is down here with us, he'll come to me.


Male Human Magus 1; AC 11 T 10 F-f 11; HP 9/9; F +3 R +1 W +3; Init +1; Perception +0

Nicodemus pushes himself cautiously to a standing, momentarily closing his eyes against the renewed throbbing in his head. He nods slightly to Elthas. "Simple, practical, and not likely to rouse too much of a fuss."
He offers a hand to Elthas, as much a greeting as an offer to help the other man up. "Nicodemus. We're doubtlessly hours, possibly days out from port. But I'm of no mind to stay around and enjoy our hosts' hospitality either, so what say we work together on this." A grim smile crosses Nicodemus' face, and determination flashes in his granite-grey eyes. "After all, I'm a busy man, and swabbing decks puts me behind schedule."


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

At this point the merfolk twitches and stirs. She rolls onto her side.

"Ugghh! My head feels like I went swimming too deep."

She pushes herself off the floor, gets up, and looks around in an attempt to figure out where she is at.

"Where in the blue blazes are we? And who are the lot of you?


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Gan when you call for Guinness there is no response and you are unable to see him anywhere.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

You all hear loud footsteps moving across the floor above you and then down the stairs in the hold.

Coming down the stairs is a tall slender man with long course and tangled black hair wearing a red bandana.

He has a course thick beard and a wide grimace for a smile. You notice the light glints off his teeth which are made of gold. In his right hand he holds a whip, a cutlass on his left hip and a pistol is tucked in his belt.

Several other humanoids make their way into the hold following the first. They are clearly dressed as sailors but you don’t recognize them. There are six sailors and their leader with the golden grimace.

“Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On your feet, ye filthy swabs! Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap’n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!” barks the leader.

He motions to the stairs with his whip as the 6 other sailors move about the room and surround you.

You notice that each sailor carries a Sap in hand and some of them look particularly eager and ready to use it.

You can all take a perception Check, if successful you can make the alchemy or nature check.

DC 10 Perception Check:

There is a strange aftertaste of oily nutmeg on your tongue.

If you are successful in making the perception check you can make this next check

DC 15 Craft (alchemy) check or DC 10 Knowledge (nature) check:

You recognize the after taste as a clear sign of oil of taggit poisoning.

You can all take an intelligence check even if you failed the above checks

DC 10 Intelligence Check:

You remember seeing the face of the pirate with the whip and the golden teethed sneer. You are also able to piece together all the information in the previous two skill checks. You also remember indulging in spicy food or spicy rum late last night, you realize that the oil of taggit was likely added to your food or drink, and the spices hid the taste of the taggit oil.

You may each respond to the lead pirate and you can take a full round of actions. I will post again around supper, I may be able to post a small post or two around lunch.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Fighter(Lore Warden) 1 (HP 12, AC 12/12/10, CMD 14, Init+1, F +4 R +1 W +2, Perc. +7

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Intelligence: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Intelligence 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Apparently after that last check I know nothing! Hehe!


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Sabinae makes her way up the stairs.

I have a bad feeling about this. she thinks.


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I quickly pull myself to my feet wobbling as I do. When the men surround us I salute, clumsily. "Bilgerat Gan Laccaran is my name. I shall report at once sir. May I say what an honor it is to be aboard such a fine vessel. I look towards the stairs. "My I ask who I am reporting to once I am on deck sir?"

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Intelligence:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Elthas clasps Nico's forearm appreciatively and uses it to pull himself up to his feet fully before giving it a shake. He can't help but wince once fully upright, though he otherwise tries to hide his discomfort with a smile. He opens his mouth to speak when the group makes its way down the stairs and instead clamps it shut again, listening to the berating.

Perception1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Knowledge: Nature1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Intelligence1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Rolling his tongue in his mouth as if clearing the morning tastes he straightens up fully and offers a weak salute. "Aye, sir. We'll be reporting to the captain at once."

Trying not to look too surprised to see one of her sort here, he moves towards Sabinae to help her with the stairs, blinking a bit impressed by how well she maneuvers with her tail. Still he offers his assistance and whispers to her with a smile. "Don't worry, lass. Keep your head down and you'll get through this just fine."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Fighter(Lore Warden) 1 (HP 12, AC 12/12/10, CMD 14, Init+1, F +4 R +1 W +2, Perc. +7

"Yes sir, we will report at once."


Several of the sailors mumble to one another as they see Sabinae's long tail. One of the sailors, a particularly overweight sailor, with no shirt and sweaty tanned skin likes his lips and sneers at Sabinae. But doesn't make any comment.

I'll post a longer one when I get home from work


Male Human Magus 1; AC 11 T 10 F-f 11; HP 9/9; F +3 R +1 W +3; Init +1; Perception +0

Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11; Intelligence 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Nicodemus nods crisply to the whip-wielding man. "Yes sir." and follows him up the stairs. He grimaces slightly at the unpleasant taste of the drug lingering in his mouth, and at the task before him.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

She nods at Elthas when he speaks to her.

When the fat one sneers at Sabinae she will give him a cold look but remains silent.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

A bit of a long post here but I hope you all enjoy. I'm running through this first part a little quickly and not giving you time to react because I want you to get the sense your being hustled along but also because I'd rather not get too bogged down right at the beginning. I hope that's okay with you.

You are all escorted up the stairs into what appears to be another cargo hold. On one side of the hold are cages full of pigs but the remainder of the hold appears empty.

This hold has more lanterns lit and you can see the length of it, at one end, closest to you there is a set of stairs that leads up. A very tall and very well built man stand there between you and that set of stairs.

His hair is cut short and he has a rough beard, he wears nothing but some tattered rags around his waist, a metal collar around his neck and he holds a huge club in one hand and in the other he has a handful of tiny crabs, he pops one into his mouth and chews, it makes cracking and popping sounds.

You notice that he seems to have been tarred and feathered in the recent past and hasn’t been cleaned of properly, patches of tar and feathers mar his skin.

At the far end, passed the cages of pigs, there are a number of doors, one of which is open and appears to lead to the galley, you can see pots and pans on a table and chickens lose, pecking at the floor.

There is a hatch open in middle of the hold and a set of stairs appear to swing down into the cargo hold. You are ushered up through this open hatch and on to the main deck. The light is brilliant and it takes you a moment to focus on your surroundings.

If you hesitate at any point one of the pirates who fell in around you prods you forward with his sap or a ruff push.

It’s a bright and sunny day and there is ocean all around you. To the stern of the ship you can see the shore through an ochre haze.

Profession (Sailor) or Knowledge (geography) DC 15:

You are able to tell that the land behind you is Port Peril and the mainland of the shackles and that you are presently headed north across Jeopardy Bay.

Figures cluster around the ship’s mainmast, looking up at the higher deck on the stern, where two figures stand.

One of them is a broad, muscular Garundi man with a shaven head, a long beard bound with gold rings, and an eye patch— clearly the captain. The other is a younger, balding man with a long black ponytail, wearing a long blue coat and carrying a well-used cat-o’-nine-tails.

You notice that you are not the only new recruits—four others are standing on the deck, set apart by their relative cleanliness and their apparent unease with their newfound situation.

A dozen or so other pirates, clearly existing members of the crew, stand about on the deck or in the ship’s rigging.

Before any of you can react or say anything the large Garundi man barks out in a horse voice.

“Glad you could join us at last! Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for ‘volunteering’ to join my crew. I’m Barnabas Harrigan. That’s Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you’ll ever need to address me. I have only one rule—don’t speak to me. I like talk, but I don’t like your talk. Follow that rule and we’ll all get along fine.”

He continues,

“Oh, and one more thing. Even with you new recruits, we’re still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There’ll be a keelhaulin’ for anyone caught killin’ anyone. Mr. Plugg! If you’d be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it’ll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of ’em.”

The younger bald man smiles with anticipation as the Captain disappears on to the bridge of the ship

“I’m Mr. Plugg, the first mate aboard this ship and I run a tight ship, you’ll listen to me and Master Scourge here whom you’ve already had the pleasure of meeting. He’s the boatswain and master-at-arms.”

Mr. Plugg points at the tall skinny man with the whip and the golden grimace.

Not giving you any time to respond Mr. Plugg continues.

“Now, I don’t give a damn who you are or what you did in your past lives, what I need is a rigger and one of you lucky sods is going to fill that post. Up to the main mast with all of you, first one to the top gets the job, and it’s a better job than you’ll get else wise.”

”Best to get a move on.” Says Master Scourge from behind you as he unfurls his whip with anticipation.

"Not you" Plugg says to Sabinae. "Damn obvious you won't be of any use in the rigging. Besides don't really want you anywhere near the edge of the ship just yet. Wouldn't want to loose our prize mermaid on your first day aboard would we. I'm sure that would be bad luck.

Most of the crew appear to have never seen a real mermaid before and some of them haven't been able to take their eyes off you since you came up out of the hold. Some stair in wonder, other's with a sneer or a smile.

Mr. Plugg nods to two of the pirates who escorted you all on deck and and they pull up a round of chain shot. It's two cannonballs attached by a chain, usually used to take out the mast of an enemy ship. They go to wrap it around Sabinae's tail and one of them holds a lock.

Actions and Climbing the rigging:

you are free to say something and take a full round of actions.

If you choose to climb you can deliberately try to fail the test, however, by making a Bluff check opposed by Plugg’s Sense Motive skill to get away with it. If you wish to race to the top of the mast you need to make a series of Climb checks.

Climbing the rigging requires a DC 10 Climb check to reach the crow’s nest, 60 feet above the deck. Remember that you climb at one-quarter your normal speed (or half speed with an accelerated climb) so each PC will need to make several Climb checks. If your speed is 30ft, then you require 8 successful climbs in a row.

If you use accelerated climb you can climb more quickly than normal. By accepting a –5 penalty, you can move half your speed (instead of one-quarter your speed). You can do so for any number of your climb checks.

However, if you fail your climb attempt by less than 4 you make no progress, if you fail your climb attempt by 5 or more you will fall.


If you do fall you can try and catch yourself, to catch yourself on the rigging it is (DC = 20).

Otherwise you take damage as per normal, 1d6 per 10 feet you fall.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Fighter(Lore Warden) 1 (HP 12, AC 12/12/10, CMD 14, Init+1, F +4 R +1 W +2, Perc. +7

Might as well try

Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

To catch myself:

Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Fall damage, sigh

2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8

"Son of a...


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Elthas stands at attention and listens to the captain and first mate's speech, paying attention to it even as he glances around and tries to take in what he can of the rest of the crew and the ship.

Knowledge:Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Elthas glances over at the rigging and sucks at his teeth, he's never been such a big fan of heights and rigging was his least favorite job on a ship, particularly when without his staff a drop is going to mean just that. Still, he gives a "Aye, bosun!" and sets off with the others to begin climbing.

Since it looks like we are having a 'race' I figured I would do rolls until I reached the top, so I can say 'it takes me 10 to get there' or whatever. If I fall, I'll let you know how many attempts it took before I do, since if someone beats that I'd stop climbing.

I -think- that a climb check covers a round(meaning you effectively move at half speed per climb check if you are double-moving, but that is just my interpretation. I am going on the assumption we need 8 checks as you said.

I am assuming that by the time we are up and the speeches are done we aren't sickened anymore, if we still are, all rolls are two lower.

Climb Checks:
Climb 1 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Fumble out of the gate, but no progress yet.

Climb 2 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

7.5 Feet

Climb 3 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

15 Feet

Climb 4 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

22.5 Feet

Climb 5 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

30 Feet

Climb 6 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

37.5 Feet

Climb 7 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

45 Feet

Climb 8 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

45 Feet

Climb 9 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

45 Feet

Climb 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Catch Myself 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Fall Damage from 45 feet 4d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 2, 2) = 13

I would scramble at the rigging for 10 rounds, if no one had made it to the top by then I'll slip and fall from 45 feet putting myself unconscious at -6

If I was right about you being able to double move in a round with a climb check, I would have made it to the top after 5 rounds.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Knowledge: Geography 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Sabinae glares at them and curls her lip while they chain her to the cannonball.

After they finish placing the chains on her she will fold her arms and stare at the boatswain with a stern look on her face.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Your assumption is correct Elthas, you are not sickened, sorry I forgot to mention that.

As for the double move I checked the rule book and it says "Each move action that includes any climbing requires a separate Climb check. Catching yourself or another falling character doesn't take an action." So I would interpret this to mean that even if you were to double move in a turn you would require two checks.


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Fair enough, DM! Then I just really hope someone makes it up there in less then 10 rounds before I take myself out in the first activity!


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

Hauled up on deck with no complaint, I take a moment to breath the salty sea air. Regardless of the circumstances it is good to be back at sea.
Profession sailor:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 North eh? Wonder where were headin

After the Captain gives his speel I merely salute.
I finish shaking my head free of grogginess and listen to the rules of rigging.
I chuckle and get into position. "Rigging sure would beya step up from deck swabbin dat fer sure. Aye give it a shot an see." I begin my climb moving at a steady pace, best not to risk falling or I'll have a bigger headache.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

I make my way up unhindered. Folks can only beat me if they move accelerated. Who wants to take the risk eh?

If no one makes it ahead of me I sit at the top and look down. "I got da job right? Want I should start now or can I get some grub first. I usually work best when fed. Just saying."


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

just waiting on nicodemus' rolls then I'll move it forward when I get home from work. Hope you are all enjoying it so far


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Loving every bit! Just for reference, when we went out into the sun Sabinae squinted at the bright light.


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I'm enjoying it so far as well. Seems like I'm the only one who figured the climb skill would be important for ship work. *shrugs* lets see how it goes for the others.


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Woo-hoo, thank you Gan for my consciousness! And I figured climb was important but I'm supposed to be the brains of this operation. I have wizardly hands here, people, Gan's already mistaken me for a girl once.

As for the squinting Sabinae, I -may- be able to help with that once I get my spellbook back. Going to send the GM a note to check on a spell.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

My character is not built for climbing. Swimming on the other hand, that's me. Plus being able to breathe underwater is a big help too.


Male Human Magus 1; AC 11 T 10 F-f 11; HP 9/9; F +3 R +1 W +3; Init +1; Perception +0

Damn...I knew that I was forgetting to put ranks in something. Next level, as long as I don't splatter myself on the deck before then :P

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Nicodemus sighs, never having been too fond of spending time in the rigging, and begins to climb.

Looks like Gan gets to save both of us :P


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Nicodemus you have trouble climbing up into the rigging but eventually make your way up. You have some trouble but you think you have the knack for it when all of a sudden at about 15 ft in the air you fall to the deck hard.

1d6 ⇒ 3

You take 3 points of damage as you sprain your ankle hard from the fall, you attempt to get back up and carry n but notice that Gan has made his way swiftly to the top.

"Looks like we have ourselves a new rigger! You'll report to me from know on for your work each day." Mr. Plugg yells up at Gan.

Mr. Plugg orders you all down from the rigging.

He turns to one of the other new recruits off to the side and says

"Sandara deal with these lubbers injuries. I need them healthy not broken."

A beautiful red haired woman steps out from the small group of to one side, she has black leather pants, a billowy white shirt, with a leather corset and a black tricorn had on top of her curly red locks of hair.

She steps up to where you all are standing and you suddenly feel a wash of energy over your bodies and feel renewed.

2d6 ⇒ (6, 4) = 10

You are all healed for 10 HP if you have taken damage

You notice she holds tightly to a small ebony skull and bones attached to a chain.

The red headed woman moves back into the crowd of pirates. But as she goes your certain you saw that she winked at you and smiled.

"Alright, which one of you can cook?" Mr. Plugg says....


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I come down and hop to the deck. I look over at the mermaid quizzically. What use would a mer be to pirates? Awe man. That poor girl.

I feel the energies of healing wash over me. Though I am unhurt I welcome the refreshing surge of healing power. I look to Sandara. "Sandara huh? Thanks for the refreshment. Cured the last of my hangover." I look at Mr. Plugg. "Boss huh? Works for me. So boss, I've starvin. Would it be an issue if I ate somethin before I get started? I work best when I'm fed. Not gonna ask for more than that."


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

Oh he want's some food boys! Says Mr. Plugg, This one here want's some food. There is a chuckles amongst the pirates. Mr. Plugg walks around Gan in a full circle. When he gets back to the front he brings up a well used Cat'O nine tails and and shoves it under Gan's chin. It stinks of dried blood.

"Around here you work when I say work, you sleep when I say sleep and you eat when I say you eat. Do I make myself clear!" He yells into Gan's face. A little spittle land's on Gan's cheek.

He turns back to the rest of you.

"Now which one of you landlubber's knows how to cook! I won't be asking again! He pace's a little bit "Pharsma Know's I could use a damn better meal then what fishgut's been cooking." He mumbles to himself. A few of the other pirates also mumble in agreement.

I'll give people some time to answer. If your characters aren't going to volunteer just let me know OOC so I can move on with the story


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Note: Elthas would pause long enough to give Sabinae a chance to volunteer first, I'm just posting this now so I don't hold things up once she poses. If she speaks up, he'll stay quiet. If she doesn't, then he says below-

Elthas gives a small bow of thanks towards Sandara and then a bit of a nod towards Plugg. "I'm not the most skilled in the kitchen, but I've worked around vials and mixing some less edible ingredients in the past and I figure that carries over. May not have the arms for rigging work, but I'm a quick learner, sir."

DM:
Is there a knowledge check(or auto gimme) on the holy symbol she uses? I'm guessing Besmara, but what my char knows is up to you.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

If you have a skill that you feel would be appropriate, for instance, in your case knowledge local, go ahead and roll it up. If I don't feel it's applicable I'll say so but if it is I'll give you the info that you discover. I'll go ahead and add a Skill check for you hear but next time you can roll and I'll post the results.

Elthas: Knowledge (Local) DC 10:

You believe that the ebony holy symbol is indeed a symbol of Besmara.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

"I can cook and am a fisherman if it matters." Sabinae says.


Male Human Gunslinger(Buccaneer) -2 HP = 17/17 NLHP 0/17 AC 17 Touch 13 Flat 14 F +3 R +6 W +3 In +3 Per +6

I merely stay quiet as the man makes his point.

Even Privateers know to keep their men fed. Even though mom and dad were pirates, I never expected they'd be this incompetent. To think I was excited to be at sea again only to be enslaved by utter morons. We'll just have to keep heads down until the stress finally causes some cracks. Given the aggressive nature and lack of intelligence, an rift will form soon. Just need to make sure I'm on the right side when it does.

I watch quietly as the man barks for a cook. I wipe the spit off my face.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

The next post is rather large so I'll have to do it when I get home from work. No time to do it this morning. I'll have it up this evening and then things should get moving along again. Sorry about that.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Thanks for letting us know. What time do you normally get home from work?


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

around 4:00-4:30 pm pacific time. I'll try keep you guys in the loop as to when I think I'll be able to post or not. It's annoying having a GM disappear for a day or two and not know why or when they'll be back.


Status:
HP 8 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | F +0 | R +5 | W +4 | Init +3 | Per +7

Thanks a bunch for the info!


Male Human Wizard 1, HP 7/7, NLHP 0/7, AC 11, Touch 11, Flat 11, F +1, R +1, W +3, Init +2, Perc +2

Knowledge:Local 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Since Sabinae did indeed speak up, just rephrasing my last pose to account for it.

Elthas nods and smiles to Sandara, giving a small appreciative bow of his head to her. When Sabinae does chime in about her ability to cook he does remain silent, imagining that the mermaid would be skilled at catching fish, though he has trouble imagining that they will give her an appropriate opportunity for it.


Bard 1, HP 8/9, NL-HP 0/9, AC 12, Touch 12, Flat 12, F +1, R +4, W +2 Init +2, Perc +4

"Hmm the fish thinks she can cook, well if she can't I'm sure Fishguts can always use more fish in his stew. Maheem take this one down to Fishguts." Mr. Plugg points to Sabinae.

"As for the rest of you ye'll be swabs and report to Master Scourge here." He says to the rest of you. Pointing at Gan he says. "Your with me and I don't want to hear anything out of you."

"And the rest of ye get back to work, the show's over fer now!" He yells at the rest of the crew.

Master Scourge steps in front of Elthas, Nicodemus and Felix and he coils his whip up into a tight circle.

He says "Fer yer first day ye'll be swabing this deck from bow to stern. Buckets and mops are over there and holystones as well" You see a collection of mops and buckets with water as well as sandstones which appear to be used to scrub the deck.

"Well what are ye waiting for, get a move on! He barks.

Mr. Plugg walks swiftly along the deck talking to Gan, "You look as though you've spent some time at sea so I won't spend much time explaining how the sails work, your job is to work the lines today, raising and lowering the sails. Get to it"

With that he walks off leaving Gan standing next to the rigging.

Important Info about the AP:

So in this AP it may be apparent by now but the pirates seem to expect you to work for them. You have each been assigned a job, and every day you will be assigned a new one...unless you mutiny today.

In anycase, what happens is you are assigned a job and you must tell me how you want to work at the job that day or if you want to do something else.

I will be adding a resource on the Campaign information page that will outline in one section the description of the Job, in another section your options for working at the job.

The idea behind the structured actions is to make sure one character doesn't decide to explore the entire ship in one day and talk to the entire crew. And also to represent the structured life of being on a ship at sea.

That means you get one day time action, one evening action and up to two night actions, if you choose to take them, although your chance of getting exhausted increases for each Night action.

What would be convenient for me, when posting your day to day activities is if you followed the "guidelines for day to day action" section.

This system may seem restrictive but I think it's the best way to move this campaign forward. If we all choose our day actions, then I post, then you choose your night action, then I post, it increases the time spent on day to day activities a great deal, rather if you post what your desired plan is for the entire day initially that means we can move the story along a bit faster and still allow each person the opportunity to impact the story.

Please note that if something happens in the first half of the day and you then decide to make a different evening action you are welcome to let me know.

One other thing, Rum rations, every evening, before your evening and night time actions, pirates are required to drink a rum ration, its meant to keep the crew docile, it increases your charisma but it fatigues your character, if you are already fatigued from failing certain work rolls you become exhausted and that will also impact your evening rolls if you choose to drink the rum. If you choose not to drink the rum then you must make a stealth check to dispose of it un-noticed.

Another long post with tons of information, Questions or thoughts? Let me know in the discussion thread.

The jobs for Day 1 were as follows:

Swabs: Nicodemus, Felix and Elthas must Swab the decks.

Rigger: Gan must Work the lines. Sabinae, I'll get to your job in the next post.

Please see the daily work assignments section for the appropriate rolls needed to succeed at your job and the daily actions for how you can go about influencing the ship or succeeding at your task.

Each PC can normally take two ship actions each day, one during the day and one at night. A PC can also attempt to take up to two additional ship actions during the middle watch in the dead of night (any nighttime ship action marked with an asterisk), but to do so the PC must make a successful Constitution check (DC 10, +4 per extra ship action taken) or be fatigued for the next day.

Concerning fatigue, if you sleep after two action, 1 day, 1 night (or evening as I call it) you will sleep your eight hours and recover fully. But if you do one or two night time actions the chance exists to not only become fatigued or remain fatigued if you were from the day, but also if you fail a Con Check at night you may become exhausted for the next day which will hamper you for the next day and all your rolls.

1 to 50 of 528 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hell or High Water - Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.