Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM EngineHouse - Smoke and Shadow (Inactive)

Game Master EngineHouse


601 to 650 of 1,163 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Male Human Paladin 3

"Thank you, I feel much better," the paladin says as their healing spells bring him up to 16 HP.

The paladin hears the noises from the pipe and feels the heat coming off them.

"Do you think this is one of the traps they mentioned?"

The paladin quickly looks for some way of stopping whatever is happening, since he knows people travel this tunnel.

Knowledge(engineering) to see if there is some way to release the heat and pressure harmlessly, such as a hidden valve 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Salvin, the mechanisms in the valves are beyond you.


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Is the tunnel straight, or is it difficult terrain? Can we run in it?


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Gregory, the tunnel is straight and the stairs shallow and well built. You can easily run in it.


Male Human Paladin 3

Salvin looks at the others.

"Do you think we can make a run for it?"


Profile not in use

Seeing how far in to the tunnel they were already, Vhailor took a deep breath and started hustling further "Let's just hope it isn't a dead end" he says in an almost cheerful voice.


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

Damrang is visibly sweating, and the knuckles around his axe are white.

"Or our end."


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Gregory shrugs.

"I doubt we have much of a choice in the matter; the question really is, will we get to somewhere safe when we make a run for it?"

He then starts to hustle forward.


Male Human Paladin 3

Salvin starts running with the others, looking ahead and to the sides for somewhere to take cover if things get bad.


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

Odol starts hustling after the others as swiftly as he can with his bad leg. He looks for a place for cover or clues to what is happening with the pipes while moving forward.

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Knowledge (Engineering) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Profile not in use

Rocks fall, everybody dies?


Male Human Paladin 3

I think it goes something like this ... Pipes burst, everyone fries


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

You run down the corridor. Around you the pipes groan and thin trails of steam hiss from the valves. Ahead, the corridor ends with an archway leading into some chamber too large for your lights to illuminate.

The slower members of the party only just make it clear, but make it clear they do. You burst out onto a wide bridge riveted together with huge steel plates. Your footsteps clang on the surface before being drowned out by a deafening surge of steam. The corridor behind you is totally obscured. The vapours rise up into the black.

You all barely have time to take this in before a pair of figures run at you from opposite sides of the bridge. You take them to be plate armoured soldiers but their proportions are all wrong, their arms and legs too thin in places and too thick in others. Amber light shines from their faceplates and a tangle of pipework juts from their backs.

Your haste to get out of the tunnel makes you totally unprepered for the attack. The automata will act in the surprise round. Gregory moves faster than the rest of you and actually move past the automata before they can attack.

Map for Turn 1

Initiative:

Salvin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Vhailor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Odol: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Gregory: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Damrang: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Automaton 1: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Automaton 2: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Initiative Order
Gregory
Salvin
Vhailor
Odol
Damrang
Automaton 1 (upper one)
Automaton 2 (lower one)

The first automaton slams a one-handed hammer at Salvin:

Charging Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 2 = 9

And the second pummels at Damrang

Charging Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 2 = 16

Though they are caught off-guard, the two front-line warriors are protected by their armour. Pistons hiss as the automata strike - their blows are strong, but not superhuman.

Sorry for the wait. I've had a hell of a weekend - though probably not as good a one as Balodek/Damrang. Congratulations man.


Profile not in use

Round 1:

Standing in place Vhailor intones in Draconic and his skin hardens.

Using Metal Skin for +2 AC, up to 14 now.


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Round 1:

11/18 hp, AC 13/9/12, CMD 16

Based on previous experience in combat... ;-)

Gregory wheels around, and hefting his Earthbreaker high, charges the automata assailing Salvin.

Earthbreaker: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 = 11, for 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 2) + 6 = 11.


Male Human Paladin 3

Round 1 AC 17, HP 16/17, CMD 16, Saves Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +5

Salvin takes a 5-foot step to set up a flank with Gregory and tries to cleave through the automaton's hard outer shell to the vital inner workings.

Power attack 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21 Damage 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 4) + 9 = 18

Salvin yells out across the bridge to anyone who might be watching: "If there's someone watching this, we mean you no harm! We helped some of your people not too long ago. Just call of these machines, and we can talk"

Diplomacy if needed 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

Round 1

9/18 hp, AC 17/10/17, Dance of the Blades, Warsmith

Odol moves forward to join Salvin and Damrang swinging his axe at the automaton.

Moves to D5

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage 1d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 1 = 14


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

Round 1 Init 8

Status:

HP = 21
AC = 18
Weapon Equipped = Dwarven Waraxe
Status Effects = None

"Damned abominations!"

Dwarven Waraxe +6 E3
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

It was one hell of a weekend! ;)


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Gregory's attack clangs off a heavy steel sholder-plate and Damrangs, through it finds a chink in the machine's armour, does nothing to the sturdy pipework within.

Salvin, on the other hand, cuts deeply into his target's waist and is rewarded with a burst of steam that dies down into a significant leak. The automata's torso begins to lull to one side. Odol does not strike with the paladin's brute strength but cannily waits for a hinge to expose a knee joint before plunging his axe into it. You all hear the grind of scraping metal begin to issue from the machine.

DM only:

Automata 1: 36/36

Automata 2: 20/36

As he enters both their reaches, the machines turn their attacks on Odol according to some unscruitable logic.

Automaton 1 Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Automaton 2 Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

He ducks one strike but the other catches him in the gut

Automaton 2 Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Map for Turn 2

The black-hatched areas are a unfathomable drop. The grey hatched areas are supports 20' lower than the platform you're currently standing on. Also, just to confirm, the automata are constructs and primarily made of metal.

Turn 2 has begun


Male Human Paladin 3

Round 2 AC 17, HP 16/17, CMD 16, Saves Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +5

Salvin stands his ground and takes another swing at the mechanical menace.

Power attack greatsword 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 2 = 17
Damage 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (6, 4) + 9 = 19


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Round 2:

11/18 hp, AC 13/9/12, CMD 16

Although it pains him to do so, Gregory takes another swing at the automaton in front of him.

Earthbreaker: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 2 = 20, for 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 2) + 6 = 11 Bludgeoning damage.

Perhaps we will be able to repair them, afterward...?


Profile not in use

Round 2:

Eyes glowing with excitement, Vhailor focuses his gaze on his right hand uttering "Bivrip!" before stepping forward and attempting discharge...

Melee touch: 1d20 ⇒ 18 for 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 2) + 1 = 8

I'm pretty sure I can cast - 5 ft step to D3 - then deliver shocking grasp to avoid an AoO


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

Round 2 Init 8

Status:

HP = 21
AC = 18
Weapon Equipped = Dwarven Waraxe
Status Effects = None

Damrang swings again at the constructs in front of him.

I wish Obadiah were here.

5' to E4 and swing
Dwarven Waraxe +6
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 151d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

Round 2

5/18 hp, AC 17/10/17, Warsmith

Odol staggers from the blow. "Oy! It's going to take more than that to fell me you monstrosities." He stands his ground and takes another swing at the same automaton.

Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage 1d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

In a flurry of steel and eldritch lightning the whole party piles onto the now-bleagered machines. Pipes buckle, steam bursts and armour plates are ripped away. Vhailor, your spell seems to course through the insides of the machine causing it to convulse and the glow in it's visor to flicker.

Despite the onslaught neither of the machines fall. The one trapped between Salvin and Gregory has nearly been pounded to scrap - it's legs look ready to buckle.

DM Only:

Automaton 1: 24/36

Automaton 2: 5/36

One automaton steps forwards and continues it's assault on Odol:

Automaton 1 attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Automaton 1 damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

With a dull crack Odol is knocked unconsious by a hard blow to the head. Meanwhile, the second (near-wrecked) automaton ducks sideways with a burst of speed and swipes it's hammer at Gregory:

Automaton 2 attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Automaton 2 attack: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Gregory, you feel your arm go briefly numb under the impact but it doesn't feel more than bruised.

Map at start of turn 3


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

Round 3

-6/18 hp

"Like that, maybe..." Odol drops to the ground in a heap.


Profile not in use

Round 3:

Calling upon the reserves of arcane power stored within his staff, Vhailor calls out "Bivrip!" once more and seeks to deliver a second jolting dosage to the machine...

Cast defensively: 1d20 + 2 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 3 + 4 = 17 Success.

Melee touch: 1d20 ⇒ 8 for 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 6) + 1 = 10 Likely miss, though I'll keep the shocking grasp charged for discharge next round


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Round 3:

7/18 hp, AC 15/11/14, CMD 16.

Shedding a worried glance in Odol's direction,

Heal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9, to determine if he is still breathing.

Gregory steels himself, and takes another swing at the heavily damaged automoton!

Earthbreaker: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 2 = 21, for 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 5) + 6 = 17 Bludgeoning damage.


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

Round 3 Init 8

Status:

HP = 21
AC = 18
Weapon Equipped = Dwarven Waraxe
Status Effects = None

Damrang continues to silently cut into the constructs.

Waraxe at whichever is still standing.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 141d10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

Round 3

Con Check (-6) to Stabilize 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 6 = 9

-7/18 hp


Male Human Paladin 3

Round 3 AC 17, HP 16/17, CMD 16, Saves Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +5

With those numbers, I'm assuming Gregory deals with the construct in front of Salvin. If I'm wrong, please assume this attack roll is to finish that beastie off.

Salvin looks down at his fallen comrade and grips his weapon tighter. He walks forward at an angle to reach F5 without provoking an attack of opportunity. Then he tries to chop the machine in half with his sword.

Power attack greatsword while flanking 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 6 + 2 = 23
Damage 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (6, 5) + 9 = 20


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Armour crumples as Gregory's earthbreaker slams into the chest of the already damaged automaton. There's a muffled explosion and the thing is wreathed in steam. It collapses, it's limbs flexing randomly for a few seconds before abruptly coming to a halt.

Vhailor can't find an opening to grasp the other machine a second time. Likewise, Damrang's axe glances off it's armour plating. Then Salvin steps forward and delivers a huge backhand swing at it's waist. The heavy blade cuts almost a foot into it and boiling water splashes onto the surface of the bridge. Nothing load-bearing is broken, however, and somehow the thing remains standing.

It turns on Vhailor, and with a clatter of heavy clockwork it goes to barrel into him. As it drops it's guard the gnome gets a second chance to deliver his spell:

Attack of Oppertunity on behalf of Vhailor: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Shocking Grasp Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7

Automaton Bull Rush attempt: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

The automaton writhes in what looks disturbingly like pain as electricity burst from Vhailor. The machine still keeps going, however, and as it slams into Vhailor he is knocked flying straight off the bridge!

DC 15 Acrobatics check for Vhailor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Falling damage for Vhailor: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6

Without hesitation the construct follows him off, it's analytical mind calculating the fall to be a lesser threat than Salvin's blade. In doing so, however, it opens itself up to attacks from Salvin and Damrang:

Damrang attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Salvin attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Salvin Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (2, 5) + 9 = 16

Damrang Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Damrang crit confirmation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Despite an accurate blow to the small of the back Damrang's attack clangs off the machine's structure. Salvin's...doesn't. The blade finds the machine's kneck and it's head goes spinning off into the black. It's body stumbles off the bridge after Vhailor, landing in a broken heap of scrap dangerously close to the prone gnome.

Combat is over


Profile not in use

Landing with a solid thump upon his back, Vhailor is stunned for a few moments before the stars fade from his vision. Sitting up with a newly inspired headache, Vhailor turns his attention straight to the automaton - wondering how it works...

Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Such a fine machine, a pity that it is broken now...

6/12 HP


Male Human Paladin 3

The paladin rushes over to Odol to see if he is still breathing. Once he sees the dwarf is, he'll call out:

"He's still alive!"

I have no potions on me or spells, so trying untrained Heal check to stabilize him 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

The paladin seems to fumble around the dwarf's armor, not really knowing how to help.

"Someone help me here, I don't know what to do!"


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Those of you still on the bridge, the initiative chain will still be in effect until Odol is stabalized. I won't map it - you can all reach him with a move action if you want to

Down on the support, Vhailor takes a closer look at the automaton. Those on the bridge who take the time to can study the one still up there too (You might want to help out Odol first, however). The constructs are moved by mechanical devices that, individually, would be mechanical marvels fit for travelling shows or professor's studys. To see them put together to create a replica of a man is nothing short of astounding. Three different brightly coloured fluids leak out of the machine - red, yellow and blue.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC15:
Pneumatic rams, gearboxes and pressure motors are all recognizable in the fallen machine - no sky-technology is involved. The movements of the automaton are entirely driven by pressurized steam, no magical propulsion is involved.

It is guided, though, by magic - magic that is presumably contained in the coloured liquids.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC25:
There is no way mundane steam could power those mechanisms. For a start, there's nowhere in the construct's frame to store enough water. Secondly, no fire could get that hot.

Knowledge (Arcana) DC20:
The fluids look similar to the ichors one would see in a chemically-driven alchemical golem. However, threee totally different colours should mean three seperate controlling influences - an unworkable solution.


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

Heal 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Put yer hand there. No not there, up there! Now press down on it. Not that hard, you'll make his spleen pop out."

Damned paladins, I thought they could heal others with a touch?


Profile not in use

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Vhailor continues to poke and prod at the automaton, seemingly forgotten about his compatriots above now that he has a new toy to play with.

Brow furrowed, hmmm, so obviously not entirely mechanical - there is some magic at play still. Reaching out a hand, he tastes each of the three liquids in turn, seeing if he can identify them...or at least ken their function within the machine...

Craft (Alchemy): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Damrang tends to Odol's wounds, taking pressure off his cracked and shattered ribs and coaxing the blood out of his lungs. He won't die - in the immidiate future at least. You can now act freely out of initiative order.

Vhailor, the liquids are surprisingly palletable. The blue one tastes of strong mint and cleanses what remains of your headache. The yellow one is sickly sweet, and the red one is so spices it makes you want to cry out in pain. They all have the same aftertaste - that of crude oil.

Unfortunately, none of this tells you anything about their function. Perhaps if you could sample them and examine them in a proper alchemist's lab it would be a different story.


Male Human Paladin 3

The paladin pokes and prods where he's told, trying not to add to the bruises on his body.

"Do we have any potions or magical healing left today? I used all mine in the fight against those mages."


Profile not in use

Producing a few small glass vials miraculously unbroken from the fall - Vhailor takes a sample of each of the three fluids.


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

We still have one potion of CMW and two potions of CLW from the last Helix group since we used spells instead of potions for Salvin.


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22.
Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11.

"Hmmm... It would appear that no Skytech is involved in the construction of these Automota; however, they are probably guided by magic..."

When his attention is drawn to Odol, Gregory raises a hand.

"I will see if I can wake him up..."

CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8.

Which is just enough to wake him up :-)

If we are going to progress any further, we should use the potions to heal-up the front-liners.


Male Human Paladin 3

The paladin starts to rummage through the potions, handing some to Odol so he can heal up.

"It's good to see you awake again, friend."

Once Odol is up on his feet, Salvin will take a look at the machines. He can't seem to make hide nor hair of the mechanisms.

Knowledge(engineering) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Knowledge(arcana) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Salvin is fine; he's just down 1 HP


Male Dwarf Oracle 3

"Urk...cough...cough...sigh" Odol stirs, the grinding pain of bones and flesh pulling back together serving better than smelling salts. [b]"Whoa, that really hurt. Looks like you guys finished them. Thanks. Where are we?"

Odol looks around at the automatons and surroundings.

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

Odol wobbles to his feet. "I guess I'm still a little woozy. Everything is sort of blurry and there is this horrible ringing in my ears. Do you all still have any of those potions or did you need them to get me back on my feet? I could use a spell on myself, but I'm starting to run low."


Profile not in use

Looking up from his work on the fallen automaton, Vhailor casts his eyes around the area below the bridge...

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Just after general details - would probably be good to make camp as I think most of us (spellcasters especially) are running on fumes right now.
Would we be able to make a little foxhole under the bridge?


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

Now you have the chnace to look at the bridge properly, it's construction is remarkable. It's built from iron rather than stone, long bars of metal criss-crossed into a lattice that looks disconcertingly flimsy but is in fact cunningly designed to transfer weight onto the heavy support columns that are rammed into the sides of the crevice (one of which Vhailor is standing on). Most notably, given that it leads to a ten foot wide secret passage it's absurdly over-engineered. You could march an army across this thing.

Another key point you missed due to robots attempting to brain you is that at the far end of the bridge is an iron door that looks built to withstand a siege. A pair of arrow slits are cut into the rock above it, but at present they're dark. The only place on the bridge that's out of their line of sight is the tops of the supports. There's nowhere under the bridge fit to sleep, though you could clamber amongst the bars to hide.

Perception DC15:
Looking more closely at the cliff behind you, you see a 30 foot wide circular area has been ground down to being smooth. It looks like some vast drill bit started to cut away at the cliff, using the tunnel you came in along as a guide shaft.

Perception DC20:
The automata were standing guard on plates that have risen slightly from the surface of the bridge now that they've moved off them. Pressure pads. It's a safe bet to say that as soon as the machines sprung into action an alarm was triggered somewhere further ahead


Profile not in use

Those on the bridge hear a quiet somewhat amused voice from below "Excuse me, a hand perhaps.... or some rope?"


Male Aasimar Oracle (Psychic Searcher) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14.

Grimacing slightly from a couple of cracked ribs, Gregory moves over to the edge of the bridge.

"Certainly, Vhailor. Just give me a moment..."

He then digs around in his pack, and tosses down the end of a length of rope for Vhailor to hold onto as he is pulled up.


Male Human Engineer 1/Gamer 4

You take your time to get Vhailor safely back onto the bridge. His hands are stained primary colors by the liquids that leak from the fallen automaton.

With the aid of Gregory's rope he is able to take 10 on the climb check and get up without rolling.


Dwarf Ranger (Trapper)/3

"So we're all back and mostly in one piece, what's our next move?"

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"There's a smooth section of rock over there for some reason."

601 to 650 of 1,163 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM EngineHouse - Smoke and Shadow All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.