Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


A Rise With A Difference

Game Master Dabbler


3,001 to 3,050 of 3,877 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>

Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

In the interests of speed, I'll try although technically everyone else would go before Vaclav.

Vaclav steps away to free room for his rising mace and drives it back down at the ghoul's head.

Attack Mace 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 2 = 19.... damage 1d8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 - 2 = 1

I sure hope you were right about sneezing or my thinly veiled attempt to conserve the party's psi powers is going to fail.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Round Four:

From her safe perch above the battle, Aylmora tries once more to bring down the wounded undead abomination threatening Vaclav with a bolt of fiery energy.

Standard action to fire Energy Ray (Fire; manifester level 1) augmented by Wild Surge +2 toward the ghoul fighting Vaclav.

Energy Ray Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 + 1 - 4 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 1 + 1 - 4 - 1 = 9 (bless, surging euphoria, firing into melee, dazzled)
15% chance Psychic Enervation (1-15): 1d100 ⇒ 34 - note: Aylmora is stil dazzled (-1 to attack rolls and sight-based Perception) until the end of Round Four.
Fire Damage: 3d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2, 3) + 1 = 12

Power Points used today: 9/25

Aylmora's AC: 18
Aylmora's HP: 37/37


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"Oh fudge," Gornak mutters as he tries again.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 153d6 + 13 ⇒ (5, 1, 4) + 13 = 23

plus possible flanking


Aylmora's blast will miss, but if no one else steps in, Gornak crushes the un-life out of the last ghoul. Unlike the others, this one (other than being a lot harder to kill) is wearing the tatters of finer clothing.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Aylmora spots the tatters of finer clothing worn by the ghoul that attacked Vaclav. "So is this 'His Lordship'?" she asks, contempt evident in her tone.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"I don't think so," Vaclav responds as he surveys the ruin of the ghoul's body. "I think his Lordship will be far more verbal when we meet him. And likely to focus on you."

He instantly regrets the last sentence and tries to cover it up with a call to action. "Let's keep moving. Gornak?"

He gestures invitingly toward the door.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"You bet -- let's go while my shield is still up."

Gornak leads the way inside the house.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

I'm ok with Gornak or vaclav finishing it off.

"Lead the way, big guy!" Thanadros follows Gornak deeper into the house.


Male Blue; Humanoid (goblinoid, psionic) Nomad 3 (from Psionics Unleashed)/Witch 2

Gob is fine with it. Let's keep going!


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Aylmora descends to the ground and follows her companions into the house.


The inside of the house is a mess, and the stench of the ghouls is overwhelming. DC15 Fort save or be sickened. There are no more ghouls, but in one room there lies a bloated and swollen corpse crawling with flies. Although already decomposing, the figure was clearly tortured horribly, and the remains of the seven-sided symbol can be seen carved into what's left of the corpse's chest.

Clenched in one fist is a scrap of parchment with Aylmora's name scrawled on the outside.

The Note:
“Take the fever into you, my love—it shall be but the first of my gifts to you.”

If you search the rest of the house...

Perception DC22:
There is a loose floorboard in the bedroom, with a locked strongbox underneath it.


Male Blue; Humanoid (goblinoid, psionic) Nomad 3 (from Psionics Unleashed)/Witch 2

Fort 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 take 20 if possible

"When we finish here we should hunt down any stragglers in the fields"


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak turns white when he sees the name on the note. "Oh gosh...what does it say, Aylmora?"

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Gornak walks through the house, ducking his head to avoid hitting the roof, and he almost puts his foot through a loose floorboard. "Hey! There's a locked box down here."


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Vaclav follows closely behind Gornak.

Inside the house the smell hits him hard and he bends over double to wretch up his last meal onto the table. Straightening he wipes the back of his gauntleted hand across his mouth. Then he looks at the gauntlet and tries futilely to shake the strands of drool and vomit free. Realizing the futility of that he looks around the room.

Fort 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 Doubly sickened?

Not clear from your description -- did we search the whole house?

How does that corpse look? Any signs of ghoul fever?

I was going to have Vaclav snatch the note before Aylmora could get to it, but that smell stopped him in his tracks.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

DC 15 Fortitude save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Aylmora gags momentarily as she enters the house but manages to keep from violently disgorging the contents of her stomach. The young woman places her scarf over her nose and mouth as she moves through the rooms. Her eyes narrow in anger when she sees the note bearing her name clenched in the desecrated corpse's fist; with a quick motion she snatches the parchment from the dead man's grip and reads the scrawled writing before showing it to her companions. "It says: Take the fever into you, my love—it shall be but the first of my gifts to you.” Well I'll show you what 'His Lordship' can do with his gifts," Aylmora says coldly.

Holding the note by one corner, she points to it with the finger of her other hand and shoots a bolt of fiery energy toward the parchment - causing it to burst into flame. Without another word she drops the note; the parchment burns completely to ash before reaching the floor.

Number of Power Points used today: 10/25


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

Fort 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 (+4 from resistance racial power)

Thanadros grimaces at the smell, but that is the only effect it seems to have on him. He silently watches as Aylmora destroys the note.

"We will get him Aylmora. However, I am starting to worry about this. Undead, more of this damned star, and this lordship. I wonder, If there is something bigger going on here. Maybe they are using your name to lure us away from the real threat..." Thanadros ponders outloud.

"Check the lock-box, it might have clues. we should finish this quickly..."


The corpse shows no sign of ghoul fever. I am assuming that you search the house itself for more ghouls is nothing else.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"I've got to get outside. This smell is killing me. When you're done in here, we'll talk about what to do next."

Vaclav steps back out onto the porch. The fresh air doesn't seem to do him any good, because he wretches again, dry heaving over the railing. After drawing a couple more fresh breaths, he and Horran set to work dragging the ghoul's corpses from the yard toward the house. While they work he observes Horran's condition and asks him how he feels.

Dabbler, plain ole sickened penalties or are they additive? How much daylight is left?

When everyone is back together again, Vaclav says, "Gob is right. We've got to hunt the others down. But there is more we need to do. We need to get Horran back to Sandpoint, so Father Zantus can examine him. We also need to dispose of the bodies. The ghoul's flesh is unclean, and I don't know how it will affect scavengers who eat it. Or even if they will eat it. We need to stop at the asylum. Grayst may have turned already. We should find the neighbors' families and tell them of their men's fates."


There is no stacking for sickened penalties, you either are or aren't.

Horran is bearing up as well as can be expected. He's also sickened by the smell, but points out something around the ghoul leader's neck to Vaclav, a chain of some sort.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

How about that daylight?

"Hmmm," Vaclav looks at the chain intently. "Erastil show me truth."

A quick detect magic.

If nothing is untoward, Vaclav will look for a clasp or something to undo the chain. IF none is forthcoming he'll have a good look at it. All hopefully done at arm's length.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"I'm ready to finish these ghouls off... Did you find something Vaclav?'


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"Gather the ghoul bodies together. I'll be more than happy to light them up in a pyre bright enough to send 'His Lordship' the message that we're coming for him next," Aylmora says venomously.

"Then I suggest we get Master Horran to Father Zantus as quickly as possible. Grayst is locked up tight at the asylum; even if he turns, they should be able to keep him contained for a while until we can get back there."


Daylight is fading.

There is a key on a chain around the ghoul's neck, and it bears what you recognise as the Foxglove crest. It is not magical.

The barn, house, and fields are all tinder-dry. Starting a pyre risks starting a conflagration, unless that is your intention?


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Maybe not.

"It's dry. A fire might not be the best idea. Let's track down the other ghouls."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Does the key look like it might open the locked box? (I.e., is it about the right size?)


No, that key is completely the wrong size.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"The Foxglove crest?!? Aylmora exclaims upon seeing the key on the chain. "You don't think that fop Aldern is behind all of this, do you?" the young woman asks incredulously.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"...Why don't we go ask him." Thanadros replies grimly.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"Tomorrow. Daylight's fading. Let's hunt down as many of these scarecrow ghouls as we can now."

I suppose V can get the keychain off the ghoul's neck.

To do list:

1. Hunt ghouls down.
2. get Horran back to Sandpoint
3. dispose of the bodies.
4. stop at the asylum.
5. We should find the neighbors' families and tell them of their men's fates."
6. Visit Foxglove.

Dabbler, while walking the fields Vaclav will ask Horran about borrowing horses tomorrow. That would speed up 2, 4, 5 and maybe 6.


A slow circuit of the farm shows no more ghouls hung up on posts. From their tracks, the ghouls, upon hearing your approach, clearly retrieved them to concentrate their forces. Night is closing in as you quite the farm. Which way are you heading? Back to Sandpoint via the Lost Coast Road, to a nearby farm, or to the asylum?


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

What are the chances of getting some horses?


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

What is closest?


There are farms within a few miles, less than an hour's walk. At night, it will take a few hours to get to the Asylum and an hour longer to get back to Sandpoint. Horran is not looking very strong.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak will carry Horran, if necessary. "Let's head straight back to Sandpoint. It's not that long, as the crow flies."


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"Sandpoint, then."


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"Agreed," Aylmora says, giving Horran a worried glance. "Vaclav? Can you do anything to ease Master Horran's suffering until then?"


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

The cleric shakes his head. "I have no power over this disease. I hope that Father Zantus does. We should hurry."


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"Then we go!"

We all beet feet back to Sandpoint


The fields and woods take on a more threatening feel in the darkness. You are reminded that there are still goblins in the Brinestump Marsh, and there are many rumours about the Ashen Rise. As you march under the shadow of the Ashen Rise a strange, ululating call echoes far overhead.

It is late evening as you march over the south bridge and into Sandpoint. The guards there challenge you, and are relieved when you reveal yourselves, suggesting you let the Sheriff know you are back in town as you start up Market Street.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"I'll take Horran up to the Cathedral. Then I'll meet you at the Sheriff's. Aylmora stay within sight of Gornak, Thanadros and Gob. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that His Lordship has killed in Sandpoint before."


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"Exactly. And we just eliminated a bunch of his minions. So I don't think any of us should be out alone," Aylmora replies to Vaclav, giving Master Horran a pointed glance. "We all go to the Cathedral, and then we all go to meet with the Sheriff; I'm sure he won't mind waiting a few more minutes," she adds, her tone indicating that she will accept no argument on the matter.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"I'm with you; let's stick together!" Gornak helps Horran over to the cathedral to see Father Zanthus.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"Fair enough. We'll do it your way."


Male Blue; Humanoid (goblinoid, psionic) Nomad 3 (from Psionics Unleashed)/Witch 2

Gob agrees there is safety in numbers. He stays with the party, in the shadows as much as possible.


Father Zantos wastes no time casting a curing spell on Horran that restores him to relatively good health. He advises that if you return via the farm, setting the place alight would probably be about the best thing you could do to cleanse it. He also sends for Sheriff Hemlock, so you can appraise them both of your discoveries.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Once Sheriff Hemlock arrives, Gornak gives him a sloppy salute. "Sheriff! The farms have been attacked by ghouls, and they ate a whole bunch of folks. We killed a bunch of 'em and I guess we drove the rest away. Say...have you heard anything about Count Foxglove recently?"


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"One of the ghouls bared an item with his family insignia. Either he is involved or in danger. Probably both"


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Did we ever get that lockbox open? If not, let's find someone to crack the lock; it may contain more clues.

"Grayst Sevilla gave us a message from 'His Lordship'. He said that I should 'come to his Misgivings', and that if I 'joined his pack he would end his harvest' in my honor. Does any of that mean anything to you?" Aylmora asks Sheriff Hemlock.


The box - when you got it open - revealed 3,428 silver pieces, give or take a few gold and copper.

"Grump came by here earlier. He told me he'd encountered you, and I've dispatched a few men to make the rounds of the farms and see what they can find out, make sure everyone's well," Hemlock affirms. "I've got Grump at the barracks, poor man was shaken to the core."

He listens to your account further.

"Misgivings? That's what they call the old Foxglove Manor, it was abandoned for years, although I hear the latest scion has started renovating it again," Hemlock muses. "That place has an evil reputation. Sounds to me, my dear, that the architect of this evil wants you to become a ghoul with him, and he won't stop until you do."

He thinks for a moment.

"You know, ghouls as the culprit for these killings makes a kind of sense. All occurred near rivers, and undead don't need to breath."

At this stage I think it would be a good time for you all to level up once more.

3,001 to 3,050 of 3,877 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Rise With A Difference All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.