Ulfen Raider

Ronin_Knight's page

RPG Superstar 7 Season Star Voter, 8 Season Star Voter. Organized Play Member. 118 posts. No reviews. 1 list. 1 wishlist. 1 Organized Play character.


RSS

1 to 50 of 118 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

Hi James
Sorry to be a bother if you've answered this earlier in the thread but I bought the Imperial edition of Owlcat's Kingmaker CRPG and so far they're stonewalling the community as to progress with the bonus tabletop module and I was wondering if you could give any information in that regard for me to pass on to the community?
I only ask because it's been over 8 months and Owlcat have given us no news whatsoever.
Regards Ronin.

Lantern Lodge

Thanks, Gorbacz
The editing issues have been fixed now.

Lantern Lodge

Greetings fellow adventurers
The Seekers of Legend Epic Fantasy RPG (SoL) Is a roleplaying game based on the Open Gaming License 1.0a and the Kickstarter has been Launched somewhat in a response to the PF2 playtest. The system is designed to act as a backwards compatible successor to both Paizo's Premier RPG and the 3rd iteration of the oldest and most popular Fantasy RPG.

SoL is set to have a significantly higher base power level for both players and monsters, as an example during Character creation if you choose the Point-buy system it will assume that each player begins with 30 points for an average game, with 25 or lower for the low-power options and 35 for high-power campaigns. However, to compensate for the significantly boosted character base power there will be a host of improvements applied to Monsters, as an example Dragons will have DR Adamantine and magic and their fear aura will be constantly active.

If you want more information there will be a Stream tonight at 6PM EST on Twitch or you can check out the various Social media pages:
Kickstarter: http://kck.st/2YWXePT
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bardicdm
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yqoNKlROm3daTbPSy5V6A
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SeekersofLegend
Teespring: https://teespring.com/Seekers-of-Legend?9cb0b2038a#pid=373&cid=100034&a mp;sid=front

Regards Ronin_Knight

Lantern Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
martinaj wrote:

lright, I can see where you're coming from, and I can't say I disagree with it. I don't think every character should be a cookie cutter, but I also was starting to feel like PF1 started offering so much versatility that my character's class became less relevant as the game marched on. From eyeballing it (been working a lot this weekend so I won't have time to really dig in and absorb this thing till Monday), it looks each weapon has become much more statistically distinct, which I like, but I wonder whether that would create balance issues for opening sneak attack to each weapon from the get go? But yeah, I guess I can see how maybe a class feat (or multiclass feat?) should be able to give it to other weapons.

What is it about the bow so that makes it so unappealing (classes and feats are the last thing I'm reading in great detail - trying to figure out the moving parts of this thing before I look at how each class interacts with them)? When I look at the stats compared to the crossbow, it seems like the bow is set up to do a lot more.

OK on the Front of Bows the problems are a follows: 1 the Volley special quality means if you fire a bow within the bracket listed distance, 50 feet on longbow, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls the same as you do if you fire outside it's initial range increment, Crossbows son't have the volley property, and 2 composite bows now only add half your strength modifier.

So unless you can guarantee you're firing between 50 and 99 feet a crossbow will be more accurate than a longbow and has a larger damage dice, not to mention the fact ranger's early feats benefit a crossbowman and not an archer.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
WatersLethe wrote:


If a single player is uncomfortable with any of that, then yes. If you can get a group of people together who really wants to get down and dirty with that stuff, you're free to ignore the suggestion that that's maybe not a good idea to drop on unsuspecting people.

Then we can't even run base-setting Golarion, home to cannibalistic Goblins, inbred gang-raping ogres, and a rampant legal slave trade, by the gods you couldn't even run a tabletop version of Disney's Hunchback of Notredame in the new PFS. Or any campaign is Paizo's publishing hold there Ap's to the same rules they're apparently holding GM's and Players to.

Lantern Lodge

7 people marked this as a favorite.
WatersLethe wrote:

I'm fully on board with explicitly banning racism, sexism, bigotry, and other deplorable behavior. I don't actually have the ability to empathize with someone who would complain about the rules suggesting those things should not be welcome.

I think it's well understood that if your entire group, to a person, is comfortable with edgelord junk, you don't have to listen to the rules on this.

It's strange to me that someone would argue that they have a right to offend or upset other people in a cooperative game that involves long hours, repeatedly, with real life people.

Right so stories presented by the GM can never contain unpleasant or challenging themes and villains are not aloud to hold detestable views, the game world must be scrubbed cleaner than a Disney movie and the challenges presented should in no way resemble something realistic. I'm sure this create great stories and memorable villains when the world is near Utopian and the villains less threatening than those found in cartoons for 3 year olds.

Lantern Lodge

MR. H wrote:


0_0

2e does not look simple at all, even when compared to 1e.

Having a decent layout and tightening the math so that making a trash character is harder is not the same thing as making a system simple.

OK I can agree the current layout is unpleasant on the eyes, at the least, and needs to be reworked but as for it not being simple that might be true at the moment, but the stated goal of the system was to a be a simpler more beginner friendly game andwith some minor changes it will be at the level of 5E or there abouts.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Renchard wrote:
Ronin_Knight wrote:
Renchard wrote:
Compared to other rulebooks I've been looking at, like WFPR4e and Savage Worlds, it looks pretty darn similar.
Yes it's similar in that it's on the D20 chassis, other than that it has more in common with 4E or 5E than it does with Pathfinder or 3.X, it like those systems treats customisation and variation like vile expletives.
I think your lack of grasp of the strength of those systems shows why you're not able to see PF2e with any clarity. 4e and 5e both allow for a ton of customization, especially 4e. And 5e is so easy to homebrew the relative lack of customization is almost immaterial.

That might be true as I don't really find any strengths in those systems save for their simplicity and accessibility, I find 5E to usually be boring and I found 4E actively unpleasant as a system to the point I basically gave up on the D20 sytsem when 4E came out until I found pathfinder and landed the role of permanent PF GM for my local group.

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

The argument is that since Half-races don't get a heritage feat, it having been spent to make them a half-race in the first place, it puts them at a disadvantage not makes them more powerful

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Renchard wrote:
Compared to other rulebooks I've been looking at, like WFPR4e and Savage Worlds, it looks pretty darn similar.

Yes it's similar in that it's on the D20 chassis, other than that it has more in common with 4E or 5E than it does with Pathfinder or 3.X, it like those systems treats customisation and variation like vile expletives.

Mbertorch wrote:
Having played 5E a lot lately, and Pathfinder longer ago, I see a lot of PF1 in PF2. BUT, since you're approaching it from a different angle, I can see why it may look different to you. Which is okay. I hope it is able to thwart your current feelings, though!

Unfortunately this seems unlikely as one of the primary traits they've promoting is the simplification of the system, and seeing as about 50% of the audience seem happy with that Paizo will probably go with that over the people like me who would see the majority of the current test document gutted. As those in favour of simplification mean less changes to the current iteration and a better chance at the coveted 'mass market appeal' despite the simple mass-market field being solidly in WotC's grasp.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mbertorch wrote:
Disagree. Feels like a beta(playtest) to me, but yeah, obviously. Can't wait to try it tonight. GMing it for my 5E group. They're pumped too. Probably my new system, just going off a cursory read-through.

Yes and I'm sure it will do great with a 5E group, for people who wanted something that even vaguely resembled Pathfinder as we know it you have to admit there isn't much similar to the 1e incarnation

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Funny because everything I've read so far makes it seem far worse than I feared, before I thought it would have hints of 4e or 5E, maybe a bit of both. Instead we got the mutant hybrid of those two with not a shred of PF1E or 3.x left in sight.

Lantern Lodge

crossbows and slings don't take a -2 penalty from the 'Volley' special quality, so Crossbows are better at short range, slings also add half strength to damage like composite bows.

Lantern Lodge

18 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Welp, finally Pathfinder is heading into the direction where nerds with too much free time won't be automatically at an advantage over new/casual players due to system mastery.

and that's the point where people like me who came to pathfinder because it was the opposite of 4E/5E, lots of customization and variables, wave goodbye to the good people of paizo, because I want more than 3 effective options per class and that's coming from a permanent GM.

Lantern Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
GentleGiant wrote:

Everything looks like 4th ed things to John, it's a shame he can't get rid of that bias.

To be fair most of the playtest books scream a weird 4E/5E Hybrid to me.

Lantern Lodge

12 people marked this as a favorite.

It feels as cookie cutter as 4E, nearly as simplified as 5E thought with less player power creep but with more confusing linguistic choices because everything is either a feat or skill, and don't get me started on the mess that is resonance. It's, to me at least, as bad as 4E if not worse.

Lantern Lodge

well this seems way too close to 5E for my liking and as I read through the only other thing I can think is 'well, this makes fighter completely pointless as a class' because if fighters are supposed to be combat focused then from the sound of it they will always be second best if they're lucky.

Lantern Lodge

Gorbacz wrote:

By the way Paizo plans APs in one year advance, so they got War of the Crown outlined, assigned and partially written well before whatever events you are alluding to happened. So it's more a case of coincidence, than anything else.

Honestly wasn't aware it was that far in advance, right I'll leave this be now sorry to have dragged it on so long.

Lantern Lodge

Gorbacz, normally I'd have assumed that was what they meant, I always prefer to assume writing about a fictional setting is purely about said setting, particularly when it's blurb. However, from what I recall, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong my memories not the best, but the blurb was, as best I can remember, released at a politically tumultuous time and coincided with some definitive changes to established lore about Taldan law and foreign policy and as bad as I am at indirect communication even I could notice the stance those changes took was the opposite to modern politics.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeciusNero wrote:
Ronin_Knight wrote:


However, that is completely different kettle of fish to having an adventure where the NPC 'hero of the people' and main villain are both blatant stand-ins for opposing political figures. which is what I feear this Ap may become because of how one-sided and potent thee Paizo political leanings are.

Fantasy politicians can only by based on contemporary ones? How? What is your reason? To me, it sounds like reaching out to something that may not be there.

You mentioned the court of Louis XIV; that is one of Taldor's composites, so perhaps think along those lines?

A fair point, as someone else mentioned it was the previous description which descibed 'dragging Taldor kicking and screaming' in to a modern political view that had me twitchy as it came onlinne at a contentious moment in real world politics if I'm remembering things right.

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Right the thornier of the two issues out of the way:

I also have to say Dudemesiter that you seem to be outright stating that a work of fiction cannot be written without political intent and I both disagree with the idea and find it distasteful in the extreme. their are plenty of works written either purely for the purpose of entertainment or without seeking to impart an inherently political message, whether it imparts some other form of message is another matter entirely, I would say this lack of political message applies to the majority of the romance, horror and even a fair chunk of the fantasy genres.

I have to Ask Dudemeister do you honestly think that unless an author writes some form of denigration of the status quo in to their work that they should have it treated as support of the establishment? that would seem to do a disservice to creators as a whole, to espouse that they are incapable of setting their politics aside for the purpose of creating something entertaining. the only way I could see to justify that stance would be to claim that all expressions and indeed all views have to be related back to politics. If I've misunderstood please let me know.

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

Treating trans characters as heroic figures is only political because trans personhood is treated as political because cisgender representation creates invisibility.

When art doesn't challenge the status-quo, then the politics of that art is support of it.

Positive representation of LGBTQA people is counter to the status quo. Until the that shifts so that trans-personhood is as invisible as cis-personhood, trans people deserve to be represented heroically.

OK I've got a couple of different points to make on separate subjects so two long messages incoming:

In regards to the quoted statement and the statement by the Head Dino I mentioned earlier, I'm somewhat confused as I understood the goals of the LGBTQA+ activists was to hammer home the fact that members of said community are the same as everyone else and should be treated as such, A position I agree with completely, However, at the same time both you, Dudemeister, and Mr Jacobs claim that while this isn't the case that they as a group should not be represented amongst villains.

Surely if the idea is to show that LGBTQA+ people are the same as everyone else they should be found at all points of the alignment spectrum represented by well written characters, rather than what were, to me at least, the sub-par characters as found in WotR.

Maybe I've misunderstood something, quite possible as I'm not neurotypical and do sometimes misinterpret points particularly in the ever-shifting goals and lexicon of activism.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
So...I keep thinking my idea for a Winter Witch from Irrissen but is actually a defector from that place MIGHT work here...

Haven't had the chance to get my hands on it yet but definitely sounds interesting, maybe have them pass themselves off as a member of the Ulfen Guard who were assigned to the queen, the alternate race trait that grants weapon proficiency would help with that.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

You’re damn right it is a political statement.

Did you know that Cheliax is a metaphor for fascism? And they’re the bad guys (Boom! Politics!). I’m sick of people saying they don’t want politics in their RPGs. Guess what RPGs are writing, writing is art and art is political.

Have you not noticed that one of the most common themes of the Adventure Paths is rebellion and resistance against authoritarian regimes? Was that metaphor too subtle for you? Hell’s Rebels is literally about fighting a power hungry fascist. Jade Regent is about fighting to free Minkai from a narcissistic demagogue and his cronies.

If you think any AP is apolitical then you’re just bad at understanding metaphors.

You're conflating two different issues, I'm perfectly happy to run or play a game which tethers a general political themes or story Hence why I've run campaigns inspired by the Sengoku period and the court of Louis the 14th.

However, that is completely different kettle of fish to having an adventure where the NPC 'hero of the people' and main villain are both blatant stand-ins for opposing political figures. which is what I feear this Ap may become because of how one-sided and potent thee Paizo political leanings are.

Hence why I base villains on the likes of Nobunaga Oda or Cardinal Richelieu and not Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn, the former pair do not have a chance to start arguments at the table like the latter.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Ronin_Knight wrote:
nighttree wrote:
God's above I hope not. I do RPG to get away from "real world current events".....
Same here, bu I'm sure you've noticed as much as I have that Paizo can get quite heavy handed with their political messages in APs and aren't the best at subtle references.
Examples?

Sorry this took so long to reply, sleep and work took priority, probably the most blatant examples I can think of were certain NPC's in Wrath of the righteous which was outright stated they were written as they were to support paizo's political leanings, and to me at least that showed through in the quality of the writing, the other would be the Head Dino stating he will never allow a transgender villain because, if I remember correctly he either thought writing them as such in the current political climate was transphobic or at least a bad choice for writing.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
nighttree wrote:
God's above I hope not. I do RPG to get away from "real world current events".....

Same here, bu I'm sure you've noticed as much as I have that Paizo can get quite heavy handed with their political messages in APs and aren't the best at subtle references.

Lantern Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Today's political climate is going to influence the campaign for the simple fact that the writers happen to be living in said political climate.

This.

As the author, I can say that there was certainly a large amount of real world influence that went into my thought process for writing this adventure. I sincerely hope that it isn't some kind of "rub it in your face, ha ha ha" material, but as a person living in the modern world, I'm still influenced by it. Heck, study of real world history is essential when writing in a fictional world. When instructed to write a heavily political adventure, of course I'm going to perform a ton of research on modern and historical politics to get a sense of how things could go down and what sort of interactions might be interesting to play with.

That being said, I'm not the only person who worked on this project. Developers, editors, and even more internal staff eyes get to review. If you've enjoyed Paizo products to this point, including the messages we put in our content, then I don't think this will be any different!

Finally, I like to think I'm not new to this whole "political / social adventure" scene. :)

I would disagree to a point about real current events having to be factored in to writing a medieval fantasy setting as regards politics I've found that feudal japan offers more relevant political motivations, plots and is less likely to rub player's the wrong way if you favour certain philosophies or views.

However I will say I'll honestly be happy with the campaign so long as it doesn't turn in to Princess Hillary V Senator Trump, because I've got a group of mixed political affiliations and I don't need the campaign bringing up real world tensions.

Lantern Lodge

Kudaku wrote:

I think the current publishing rate for Starfinder will be fine in a year or so but right now, the system feels a little starved. There's a great deal of stuff that's introduced or hinted at in the baseline system but not sufficiently fleshed out (like Power Armor).

Personally I would have loved it if they had had one more hardcover ready to launch with/soon after the SCRB hit the floor. Core rules Book/Bestiary Book/Setting Book all available at launch along with Dead Suns would have been ideal, but obviously takes more resources. I'm guessing Paizo already has a lot riding on Starfinder, putting even more eggs in that release basket is probably not that tempting.

could be worse we could have the fantasy age publishing schedule.

Lantern Lodge

Hi folks I'm trying to figure out a build for a level 8 NPC antagonist for the party, each party member has an established enemy and this Ifrit Witch Killer's the one for our Aasimar sorcerer.

I've used rolled for the perosnal foes with the same rules as the party, which once I factored in the 2 stat bonuses looked like this:
STR18 DEX15 CON16 INT15 WIS14 CHA15

so any thoughts on what sort of build would complement the witch killer archetype?

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah I looked there but I also thought if it's a non campaign setting or player companion book it might no be present of have the name changed.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi folks
I'm trying to find a template, though it may be something I imagined, the template was called Immortal or something similar and it made the creature unable t die and gave it damage reduction that as only negated by obscure substances, examples given were things like glasss and gold.

So I was wondering if anyone else remembered the template and where it could be found? I think it was in a 2010-2012 publication.

Lantern Lodge

Rysky wrote:
Uh, you’d be paying the same amount if your preordered or bought the physical copy from Paizo. Subscriptions don’t cost more than the other methods of buying from Paizo.

as mentioned above the mistake your making is 'from Paizo', if I buy from brick and mortar or order through Amazon UK,, it costs me the same as price where as if you order it through Paizo and want it shipped in good time outside of north america it's an extra $90 per book.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:

I think you might be having unrealistic expectations if you are expecting more realistic economy simulation ._.

I mean, I'm pretty sure its not possible to turn game mechanic adventurer economy into realistic one <_<

t be fair 'll be happy if it just rebalances the prices of trade goods, a pound of black pepper should not be cheaper than a chicken in the sort of economy Golarion has and I'm more looking for details on orchestrating trade deals anyway.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh this is going to be really useful or my Kingmaker retool,finally a more realistic economy and trading system to incorporate with kingdom building.

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
filgaiasguardian wrote:
Shifter's aspects do not count as the "Animal Focus" class ability and so they do not qualify, sadly. Even if the elemental focuses don't have major forms, it would be cool to have them available as minor forms. But keep in mind a Shifter only has at most 5 aspects unlike Hunters who can freely swap between all of them, so a Shifter would be hard up to sacrifice a possible wildshape form just for a minor buff.

So, on top of the limited number of aspects they don't actually count s the 'animal focus' ability so any feats related to that are useless for the class? Despite your positive outlook on the class, you're not making me any more confident in its abilities.

Lantern Lodge

OK, asking again, can we please get a compilation of the archetypes in the book with a short description? please?!

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

not surprising considering the website seems to be faceplanting the minute paizo close their doors, the last few days the server has been down whenever I've opened outside of US working hours.

Lantern Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Verzen wrote:
Psyche....

you vile trickster, may a thousand weasels infest your garden and befoul your footweear!

Lantern Lodge

to those who have the PDF could we please get list of archetypes? also y information on how the first world interacts with environment would be most appreciated.

Lantern Lodge

Rysky wrote:

Ooooo, maybe Lamia descended Changelings?

... that is based on nothing more than the fact that I now really want Lamia descended Changelings.

Been reading the spook's apprentice by any chance?

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just wanted to point out Dream thief hags, are a cousin to night hags and in the outsider category, so far the Changelings have been the progeny of monstrous humanoids, o which I can only spot 8 on archive of nethys, so we might be getting some new hags or more unusual options.

Lantern Lodge

Right slight mistake on my part, linkd a still private document, jere's the public access version:
Tal'dorei class options

Lantern Lodge

Hi folks
T recently got my hands on the official Critical Role Tal'dorei campaign setting from green Ronin, however it's only produced for 5th ed, so I've look over the class options and trying to work out how to convert the existing class options in to viable pathfinder options. I hve created base versions, but I was hoping you fine folks could let me know what you think in regards to their balance and how they compare to their origin which I've also included.
In the document are:
The Juggernaut Barbarian
The Runechild Sorcerer
The Monk of the Cobalt soul
Tal'dorei class options

Apart form this I'm considering a bloodrager version of the runechild and potentially remaking the blood hunter class

Lantern Lodge

Error's now been fixed. Karui thanks for the quick, you are awesome.

Lantern Lodge

Chaoticangel97, if it's IIS 8.5 Error 401.2? claimig you're now for some reason unauthorised to access the site, then yes, I'm getting it too.

Lantern Lodge

anyone with a subscription have the PDF yet?

Lantern Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well now I have to run my current curse of the crimson throne party through both Rise and Shattered star, or if this is the promised return of Sorshen then I might just go straight in to this.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Please let this include a revision of prices and regional market variations for those prices, or just some better logistical options for the potential siege and or kingdom management of the upcoming Taldor Campaign.

Lantern Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi guys
I'm a couple of weeks away from starting the 'escape from old Korvosa section' my party didn't find the knivesies portion of the game to be particularly enjoyable and the characters they're running aren't likely to play games with Pilts. So I was considering changing the first part of the adventure in to a variation of the house on Hook Street.

My basic idea was that instead of Pilts becoming interested in Salavator the spider cults sees his prophetic visions as a potential source of power.

I'm still working on how I'd remodel it to work properly but wondered what people thought of the combination?

Lantern Lodge

Lanathar wrote:

Has anyone considered offering a female melee based PC a spot in the Gray Maidens (or try out in the process) ?

- Do we know what the full process is (I haven't gone through the later parts of the adventure in detail yet) ?

(I know those that don't pass are killed)

- If I was to offer a PC the opportunity and they agreed (even if just to find out what was going on) how could I get them out of it without revealing what is really going on?

I imagine the set up would potentially have to avoid mentioning the queen (but that might ruin the attraction)

Or is this something I just shouldn't make an option because it would see their character likely removed from the game...?

Don't do it unless the player is sick of that character, the recruitment/training involves torture, psychological conditioning and minor uses of arcane mind control, it's effectively rendering those who survive an effective automaton unable to question orders

1 to 50 of 118 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>