GM Jhaeman's PFS1 Module: "City of Golden Death"

Game Master Jhaeman

Maps & Handouts


1 to 50 of 1,085 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Pathfinder! You've been summoned to the Nirmathi capital of Tamran, a sparsely populated meritocracy on the western shores of Lake Encarthan, after being contacted by a Pathfinder named Reginar Lacklan. Lacklan asked you to meet at the docks ready for an important mission that could affect the fate of the entire region!

As you pace the docks and wait for him to arrive, you notice some other Pathfinder field agents approaching.

Please describe your character and introduce yourself.

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Spoiler:
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28

When you arrive, you notice the routine at the docks has been disrupted by odd and disturbing goings-on: Mysterious lights and noises, small objects misplacing themselves, and small processions of lit candles with no bearers marching up and down the pier have people concerned of a haunting!

Spellcraft DC 16:
You recognize most of these occurrences as minor tricks of phantasmagoria.

Perception DC 28, +5 if you made the prior check:
Well-concealed indeed among the many crates, nets, and coils of rope is a small, puckish man wearing a trim bodysuit of some exotic material (and some very nice shoes). Large, tin-colored, and slightly almond-shaped eyes stare out with menacing glee from behind a fine cloth mask that, together with the rest of the little man's ensemble, leaves almost no other visible flesh. He has a couple of surprisingly formidable-looking weapons and an assortment of tightly-fastened wands at his side.

He is looking out from his hiding place, silent save for the occasional barely-audible giggle at the quiet chaos around him.

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

A 4’ 9” Tengu, wearing a dark emerald robe, a grass hat laced with ribbons, his Darkleaf Lamellar armor bristling with blades and a pair of goggles magnifying his yellow eyes to comic proportions steps off of an older flat bottomed barge onto the peer. As he moves along the peer looking fro the Pathfinder named Lacklan, ting pauses, tilting his head watching the odd magical display. Cocking his head the other way, he notices a puckish man wearing a cloth masks.

Moving closer to the man as he looks out from his hiding place, ting cocks his head the other way and inquires, his voice sounding somewhere between the caw of a crow and the sound of fingernails on a slate schoolroom board. "so's moight you's bloody well be's tha Pathyfin'er Reginar Lacklan? I's is suppose ta meet's 'im 'ear, wroight."

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Sense Motive DC 17 or Wisdom DC 13:
You notice that not only does he seem annoyed but not surprised by your discovering him, but it appears he adopted the demeanor showing that fact a few seconds before you approached and addressed him.

"'Reginar Lacklan', me?!" The little man cackles in a voice that is small, soft, and simultaneously like silk and sandpaper. "Hardly, I have little doubt. I've been waiting for him, too," He says as he peers out at a fishmonger's stall not too far away, where shortly thereafter several fish begin leaping wildly about, including some that have clearly already been scaled and gutted - especially those that have already been scaled and gutted.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

A young woman of prodigious size notices the two creatures talking at the docks. Her long golden hair rests just above her well polished breast plate. Her blue eyes sparkle as she begins to speak.

"You two must be part of the assembled team. I am Rogarch and this is my travelling companion Rawk-N-Role."


| HP 26/26 |1 non lethal damage|AC 24 T 10 FF 24| CMB +7 CMD 16| F +5 R +1 W +3| PER +8 Darkvision 60', Tremor Sense 60' SM+0| Speed 20', Burrow 20', Earth Glide, Stealth +7|Active Conditions Improved Evasion| Immune: Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning, Critical Hits, Sneak Attack, Flanking or Precision Damage|Small Earth Elemental Familiar (Arcane Bloodline) N|Buffs Mage Armor

The earth elemental does seem to roll rather than walk although he does seem capable of that sort of locomotion being vaguely humanoid in appearance. He waves to the others and makes a grating sound that is likely a greeting in his native language.

If anyone speaks Terran you can speak to Rawk-N-Role directly.

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Spoiler:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

The shorter creature looks from tengu to elemental, then from elemental to tengu, then from elemental and tengu to woman.

"I am very sorry, you must be mistaken," He replies. "I have just been informed that I am Reginar Lacklan, your contact."

Sense Motive DC 11:
He is pulling your leg - but not trying very hard at all.

Sense Motive DC 14 (as part of above):
The thought of what this scrawny little man might be capable of if he was trying crosses your mind, and you are a little surprised by how unnerving it is.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch looks puzzled at this obvious deception. Clearly she overheard the couple's conversation before she approached them.

"You need to be informed that you are the person that you are?"

"That is curious indeed."

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Catching the approach of the half orc from the corner of his eye, ting turns towards her and nods his broken beak. "If'n you's is sayin' we's is pathyfin'ers, you's is bloody well wroight." He extends a claw in greeting, "I's be ting!" while waving at the small rock monster with his other claw.

Blinking when the dark little fellow declares himself to be in fact Reginar, ting looks from the Wayang back towards the blond-haired woman. As she questions Xanac. Laughing in a loud caw, ting gestures at the fish flopping in the fishmonger's stall, "I's believes our fellow pathyfin'er is quites tha bloody jester."

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch smiles and reaches out carefully with the palm of her metal gauntlet to accept Ting's claw. Rawk-N-Role waves back.

"It must be handy to have claws and a beak always at the ready."

"As for our friend here he can be as silly as he likes until we get underway."

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Sorry about the delay, I was just waiting to see if Zeldana was going to be jumping in. Rogarch, I probably should have used the word 'talon' instead of 'claw' (since it has mechanical meaning and talon doesn't) but you get the idea.

Gripping her gauntleted hand, Ting cocks his head as they release the grip. Lifting his talon he spreads the claws and looks at it, asking. "'andy?" the pun not lost on him, he caws in laughter again. "You's is bloody well wroight about 'at! But I's prefers a bloody good sword fer a real floggin' foight, wroight!"

Looking from the half-orc to the puckish man, ting lulls his tongue in a tengu smile. He likes the magical antics and realizes what a great distraction it would be if they needed to play a game of 'pocket pinch' or something more serious. Nodding towards Xanac, "Silly ain't never bothered no bloody tengu, but 'em magicky skills, 'em's will prove moighty useful"

As he looks around for anyone else approaching he turns back to Rogarch, Realizing he'd not gotten either of his fellow pathfinders name, he asks. "so's if neither of you' blokes knows 'is pathyfin'er Reginar, did you's get any further floggin' introstructions?"

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch smiles.

"Unfortunately, no."

"But really how often do you know where you are really going as a Pathfinder anyways?"


Amidst the minor disturbances on the docks and somewhat confusing conversation among the gathered Pathfinder Society agents, a flat-bottom barge slowly approaches. A few sailors jump onto the pier to tie it up while a robust man, wearing green and brown leathers and cloaked in a large bearskin, calls out to you. "Pathfinders! Sorry I'm late. Captain Walren and the Black Mist can only move so fast as the currents allow."

The man joins you on the pier and pulls a wayfinder from a shirt pocket to identify himself as a fellow member of the Society. "I'm Reginar, and you must be the agents I sent for. Good, time is of the essence. A cultist of Razmir named Iramine has assembled the three fragments of an amulet that form the key to the doors of the City of Golden Death, the fabled treasure city of Tar-Baphon, where the Whispering Tyrant hid his immense wealth!" He takes a step back and looks around to confirm that no one else is listening in.

"We need agents to go to the Isle of Terror aboard the Black Mist, find Iramine, and recover the amulet before she can use it to plunder Xin-Grafar in the name of the Living God. Once you have the amulet, should seal the city behind you so that no one else can access the city’s treasures. Then, bring the amulet back so I can return it to the Crypt of the Everflame in Kassen where it belongs."

Zeldana, can you confirm if you're in Gameplay?

If your character is Trained in Knowledge (history), please give me a roll to know a bit more about what Reginar is talking about.

A picture of Reginar will be added to the slides.

If your PC has the Chronicle from Masks of the Living God or Crypt of the Everflame, please let me know as you might get a bit more detail about some things throughout this module.

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Chuckling at the Half-Orc's responce, ting watches as the flat-bottom barge approaches. Hearubg the fellow in the green and brown leathers wearing a large bearsking, ting nods towards the vessle, "I's'll bets 'at's our man wroight floggin 'air, wroight?"

As Reginar disembarks and shows them his wayfinder, ting turns to Rogarch and winks, "Bloody well told you's so, wroight?" Nodding his beak as Reginar explained the job, ting lulls his tongue in a tengu smile. Recovering the amulet sounded like an easy enough to the not so bright tengu.

As Reginar finishes explaining the situation ting asks, "So's I's bloody well's has two questions. Foist, is you's going wit us? an' seconds, can we's takes some of tha floggin' treasuries fer ourselves?"


Reginar shakes his head in response to Ting's questions. "I'll be monitoring the situation here in Tamran. Razmir's temple was exposed as a hotbed of criminal activity here by another team of Pathfinders recently, and I want to make sure it stays out of operation. As for treasure . . . well, never let it be said that I've ever tried to stand in the way of Pathfinders and a pocket full of gold. However, the Isle of Terror does not treat intruders well, and the City of Golden Death in particular is likely to be trapped, cursed, or both. Don't let greed be your downfall."

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch smiles at the Tengu's reaction. As a member of the Exchange the bloodrager feels compelled to comment.

"I am sure that if we find Iramine then gold will follow. Greed is one thing but proper commerce is another."

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

As he moves to board the boat, ting Lulls his tongue in a tengu smile. "I's jus' has a t'ing fer tha shinies."

He looks back a the dark puck looking fellow, "You's is commin' wroight?"


If there's anything else you want to do before boarding the barge, now's the time--I'll advance us along in about 24 hours.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch agrees with Ting nodding with enthusiasm.

"A bird has to line his nest with something and gold is better than most."

"We should take this opportunity to prepare for this adventure. We are going on a barge so we should prepare for this and extra water and rations are always of use on a prolonged adventure."

I am likely to buy some more equipment as we have the time to do so. I will post her purchases latter today.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Knowledge (History), Shadow Speaker: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Ting Tang wrote:
He looks back a the dark puck looking fellow, "You's is commin' wroight?"

When Ting looks back to where he found the first arrival, he now sees nothing but a small, indigo candle, already halfway-burned down, lit with a ghostly bluish flame.

While he's looking at that, he suddenly feels something coil around his leg from behind like a snake!

If you look down, you see...:
...a rope. How'd that get there?

"All ashore that's going ashore!" Says a small voice from somewhere in the barge. "Or...something like that."

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Chuckling at Rogarch's observation, Ting, not wanting to admit that he didn't have enough money to purchase anymore supplies, points towards the boat. "I's'll jus' waits wroight 'ear."

As he looks back for the little fellow, he sees the indigo candle. Lulling his tongue in a tengu smile he begins to move to pick up the candle, but feels something on his leg. "Squawk" Letting out a loud squawk, he looks down at the rope. Hearing the voice from the barge he rolls his eyes, shaking the rope off of his leg and ignoring the candle, he heads towards the boat.


As Rogarch heads off for some last-minute supplies, Candledark keeps things lively on the docks!

Candledark:
You know that the City of Golden Death was once a thriving metropolis called Kestrillon, a shining beacon of magical research. Tar-Baphon himself led an army onto the island, conquered the city, and renamed the city Xin-Grafar after the Thassilonian style. He stored his wealth there, protecting it with a nefarious trap.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch decides to go on a mini-shopping spree before the mission begins in earnest. She returns with more equipment and a lighter coin purse.

She looks at Candledark and Ting with a slight twinkle in her eye.

"I hope that the two of you behaved while I was away."

Purchases:

Rations (2 days) 1 gold
Silk Rope, 50' 10 gold
Grappling Arrow 1 gold
Scroll Box 5 gold
Short Bow 30 gold

Potion (Touch of the Sea) 50 gold
Scroll of Protection from Evil 25 gold
Scrolls of Mage Armor (x2) 50 gold
Blood Boiling Pill 75 gold

Total cost: 247 gold (deducted from gold on hand)

Remaining funds: 1779 gold

@GM Jhaeman - The nasty thread just ate the die roll to decipher her Protection from Evil scroll but my character really did succeed on her check (25 total for Spellcraft). :)

@GM Jhaeman - I am going with the assumption that the population of Tamran is mostly human. Is this the case?

Spellcraft to decipher scroll, Mage Armor (1): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Spellcraft to decipher scroll, Mage Armor (2): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Candledark looks back at Rogarch with a cryptic masked stare, tilting his neck to a seemingly-impossible (or at least unhealthy) angle.

"Before you left, I'd meant to mention something: It occurs to me I have heard of the 'City of Golden Death'. Long ago, it was a great city of magical scholarship known as Kestrillon. That was before Tar-Baphon personally led his legions in conquering it, and gave it the Thassilonian name 'Xin-Grafar'. As Reginar said, he used it as a personal treasure-vault...and what treasure-vault is not laden with traps?"

A short distance away on the pier, as if to accentuate Candledark's point, a rusty crab-trap spontaneously snaps open with enough force to knock itself on its side and tumble into a small touring-boat moored below.

Candledark seems entirely unperturbed by the sudden crab-versus-tourist melee of as he continues. "Of course, the more the daylight fades, the more stars appear.* Who, or what, were the Kestrillonese? Why would Tar-Baphon use a renowned metropolis of magical knowledge as a mere coffer? I have no idea."

* = In the Wayang idiom, light is considered an obstruction to seeing clearly; thus this is akin to some sayings heard among other folk about greater knowledge only bringing greater mysteries.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch nods at Candledark.

"Interesting. Perhaps there are some arcane secrets which we will be able to discover and put to good use. I am no wizard myself but I do study a scroll from time to time."

"As for the traps, well perhaps we should leave that to Ting to handle."


As you start to approach the barge, Reginar seems to be counting you silently with a vexed look on his face. Finally, he calls you back. "I asked the Grand Lodge to send me a team of four! Did they let a goblin tally up the numbers for this mission? Maybe someone's running late. Let's just hope Captain Walren's in a patient mood today."

@Rogarch: Yes, Tamran's population is mostly human.

I haven't had any response from PDK/Zeldana, so I've gone ahead and invited another player from Recruitment. We'll slow things down a tad until we get a fourth PC on the barge, because it's probably not called the City of Golden Death for nothing :)

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Raptly listening as Xanac and Candledark speak about the 'City of Golden Death' ting is impressed with the small fellows knowledge. His large eyes glaze over slightly as Xanac metephor goes completely over his head. Not wanting to spoil the moment, ting nodded and tried not to look lost.

As Rogarch recomneded leaving the straps to him, ting lulls his head in a tengu smile. "I loikes trappsies." He cocks his head and opens his beak slightly, and continues. "I don't mean I loikes bein' bloodywell trapped by 'em. I mean's I loikes untrappin' tha floggin' t'ings, I's is bloody well good at it wroight." He stands up straighter and puffs out his chest, "'At's why's tha pathyfin'ers' hired me, tha sword fightin' is just icing, wroight."

Hearing they were waiting on another pathfinder, ting shrugs and settles down on a crate on deck. That's how it seemed with these mammels anyway, hurry up and wait. What they didn't realize was that avians sat on nests for days, they had no problem waiting.

Grand Lodge

male Human Cleric 6, HP 50/52, AC 21, T 13, FF 18, F +7, R +6, W +9, Initiative +1, Perception +7

here I am...just saw Jhaeman's pm....good to go....just a couple purchases. upping my cloak of resistance to +2 and my shield to +2...will adjust on my sheet... 6k total

A young man of Taldan descent darts for the barge. He is easily identifiable as a Sarenite priest.

Terribly sorry I'm late..I just received the summons at the lodge. I am Goran, servant of the Dawnflower. Nice to meet you all.

He drops his gear in a pile on the deck and sits down to catch his breath. He brushes his hair back to put it in a loose top knot and a scar peeks out from his shirt as he bends down.

Xanac would immediately recognize the earrings and scar..they are wayang traditional scarification and such...from Goran's time over in Tian Xia...

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Candledark peeks out of the barge at the new arrival, just in time to recognize that this is surely the most confused (if not dissolute) "servant of the Dawnflower" he's ever encountered.

"Hello, Goran. Are you certain you are suited to boat travel? Your scar describes you as '100% yak's wool, dry-clean only'."

Grand Lodge

male Human Cleric 6, HP 50/52, AC 21, T 13, FF 18, F +7, R +6, W +9, Initiative +1, Perception +7

Oh..this? Haha...yes...I was trusting the tattooist with the writing. I wanted to get something memorable, but the exact phrase didn't translate directly into the wayang tongue. It's just a common Sarenite phrase... the priest says with a chuckle.

I spent some time over in Tian Xia during a mission. I was fascinated by the culture, so I dipped my foot in the pool, so to speak, and got tattooed. It did hurt though...but after the first bit, you don't feel anything...

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch nods as Goran recounts his story.

"Yes tattoos can be important. May yours bring you the luck that mine has brought me."

After removing her gauntlet on her right hand she shows Goran the tattoo of a red scorpion. She then dons her spiked gauntlet so as to be ready for battle.

"Yes, I had visions of a strange scorpion as a child. I was lucky enough to be led away in the middle of the night by this exact creature whom I latter found out to be a servant of Kurgess. I was escorted out of an orc camp and was then re-united with my birth mother."


| HP 26/26 |1 non lethal damage|AC 24 T 10 FF 24| CMB +7 CMD 16| F +5 R +1 W +3| PER +8 Darkvision 60', Tremor Sense 60' SM+0| Speed 20', Burrow 20', Earth Glide, Stealth +7|Active Conditions Improved Evasion| Immune: Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning, Critical Hits, Sneak Attack, Flanking or Precision Damage|Small Earth Elemental Familiar (Arcane Bloodline) N|Buffs Mage Armor

The earth elemental looks at the barge with trepidation. While he cannot drown and he can actually swim rather well due to his connection with his master he does not appreciate being on the water. It simply seems unnatural to him.

Rawk-N-Role looks at the others wondering when the adventure will begin. The sooner they get on the barge the faster they will get to dry land again or so he thinks.


Reginar calls out to Goran: "Better late than never! The others will fill you in on the mission as you travel."

He shouts to the rest of you: "Remember, be careful, but hurry--you need to keep the cultists from escaping with the treasure! And once you find Iramine and obtain the amulet, bring it back to me. Good luck, Pathfinders. Remember, explore, report, and cooperate. Especially the last one--it might be the only thing that sees you through the perils ahead." With a final wave, Reginar strides off.

Over on the barge, you see the crew getting rest to push off. The Black Mist is a large, rectangular barge about sixty feet long and twenty wide. A young kellid deckhand who doesn't seem to speak Common pushes you toward the back third of the barge, where there is a cabin with cots for you.

Near the helm, Captain Walren (a dwarf) makes final preparations for departure. He smiles at you and shakes his head as if you're all a bit crazy. "To the Isle of Terror, eh? Well, why not?"

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch smiles easily while addressing the captain.

"We gloss over the terror aspect and think about the gold. It helps quite a bit."

"As for being crazy it is part and parcel of the job. Still I am sure that many of your people would find you a bit mad for piloting your barge. That is not a usual occupation for a dwarf, not by a long shot."


| HP 26/26 |1 non lethal damage|AC 24 T 10 FF 24| CMB +7 CMD 16| F +5 R +1 W +3| PER +8 Darkvision 60', Tremor Sense 60' SM+0| Speed 20', Burrow 20', Earth Glide, Stealth +7|Active Conditions Improved Evasion| Immune: Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning, Critical Hits, Sneak Attack, Flanking or Precision Damage|Small Earth Elemental Familiar (Arcane Bloodline) N|Buffs Mage Armor

Rawk-N-Role waves at the captain and greets him in Terran. He has known some dwarves to speak his language.


Walren laughs at Rogarch's remark. "You're not wrong. Ever since I started taking commissions from the Pathfinder Society for transport across Lake Encarthan, it's been one damned crazy thing after another."

He nods at Rawk-N-Role.

Terran:
"Smarter than you look! No offense. Folks say the same about me. Sometimes they say I'm just as dumb as I look, but then I let them swim the rest of the way across the lake!"

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch nods at the captain in a knowing fashion.

"Well, the missions can be a bit crazy at times. This one seems pretty straight forward."


| HP 26/26 |1 non lethal damage|AC 24 T 10 FF 24| CMB +7 CMD 16| F +5 R +1 W +3| PER +8 Darkvision 60', Tremor Sense 60' SM+0| Speed 20', Burrow 20', Earth Glide, Stealth +7|Active Conditions Improved Evasion| Immune: Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning, Critical Hits, Sneak Attack, Flanking or Precision Damage|Small Earth Elemental Familiar (Arcane Bloodline) N|Buffs Mage Armor

Rawk-N-Role seems excited that the dwarf can speak his language, a real language not the silly noises and motions which he uses to communicate with his master.

He laughs at the dwarf's comments finding them oddly appropriate.

Terran:
"It is a real pleasure and honor to be speaking to you. If you don't mind me asking can you tell me how long it will take to get to the island?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

As the newest member of he Pathfinders climbs aboard the 'Black Mist' ting nods his beak politely, "A wroight bloody pleasure Goram, I's be ting."

As the mammals discuss the coloration, shapes and sizes of their body modifications, ting nods approvingly. Sometimes it was difficult to tell which mammal is which and it helps to identify the different markings.

Looking towards the docks as Reginar gives his last instructions, ting turns to watch the dwarf captain. He feels the dwarves judgmental gaze shifting from one pathfinder to the other. Ting had never cared for dwarves uppity ways, especially not since the copper had smashed his piehole. Deciding to leave the captain to his own devices he follows along with the others towards the cabin, chuckling at Rogarch's response to the dwarf. Pausing he watched Rogarch's pet rock stop and talk to the dwarf. Chuckling to himself, at least it would be easy to recognize the rock monster, body modifications or not.

Dark Archive

CN male Wayang Psychic 5
Spoiler:
|AC 17, T 13, FF 15|HP: 27/27|F +1, R +3, W +3 (+2 vs shadow; +1 vs LD/sonic)|Init +2, Perc +7|CMB -1 CMD 11|Phrenic 4/6, Blurred Form 4/5, Gaseous Form 3/5, Shadow Speaker 3/4, Light\Dark 1/1, Detect Thoughts 1/1

Candledark spends a bit of time searching for any sort of lower deck(s) to lurk in, and is a bit disappointed to find none.

Barges, he reflects to himself after a bit of telepathic eavesdropping. If ever there were sea-vessels fit for Dwarvenkind, they would be it.

Grand Lodge

male Human Cleric 6, HP 50/52, AC 21, T 13, FF 18, F +7, R +6, W +9, Initiative +1, Perception +7

If a mission was straightforward, it wouldn't be any fun then, would it? Goran says with a slight chuckle.

I try to block out any fears or such thoughts out of my mind...since it could get someone hurt or killed. I can't have that on my conscience.


Day One

Captain Walren whistles quietly to himself as he stands at the helm, occasionally conversing with Rawk-N-Role.

Terran:
I'd say about a week. Smooth sailing now, but once we stop hugging the coast, the lake's awful blustery and won't be long before any true landlubbers will feel the effects. And once we approach the cliffs of the Isle, things'll get even worse! I hope your friends don't have delicate constitutions . . .

The Black Mist sticks to the coast to avoid the open waters of the notoriously blustery Lake Encarthan, and as you settle in, you get to know some of the crew. The young kellid deckhand is named Ewem; he only speaks a few words of Common and pretty much ignores you. There's a few scurvy sailors who mostly keep to themselves and play dice games when not on duty. Captain Walren's right-hand-man seems to be an old pirate captain from the Sodden Lands who today is a bent, elderly man with gray hair, a gray beard, and a patch over a perfectly serviceable eye. Although he has the ominous name of "Mabon the Destroyer", he's surprisingly friendly and talkative. Meals consists of a mix of stored provisions and, occasionally, fresh fish.

GM Dice:

Day One Check # 1: 1d100 ⇒ 56
Day One Check # 2: 1d100 ⇒ 82
Day One Check # 3: 1d100 ⇒ 51

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

As they begin to move about the cabin, ting clucks at Goran's concerns. Waiving a talon, "You's an' yer conscientious ain't got's ta fret non on my's floggin' account. I's 'as bloody well died twice alreadies." The tengu pauses for a moment, shaking his beak, "Er maybe it's been three times, Anyhows, tha Pathyfin'ers 'ave figured out hows ta bring me's back every floggin' time, wroight."

Dropping his pack, shield, and quiver under one of the provided hammocks. Shifting his bandoliers slightly, he checks the several blades he carries and makes sure his chakrams are setting comfortably. Turning ready to go back out on deck, he adjust his magical goggles, speaking as much to himself as to the group, "You's can never be's too floggin' ready, wroight?"

Avoiding the dwarven captain, ting listens to the 'second in command' tell a story or two. But he spends most of his time watching the off duty sailors play dice. Wondering if he can figure out how to cheat at the game.

Grand Lodge

male Human Cleric 6, HP 50/52, AC 21, T 13, FF 18, F +7, R +6, W +9, Initiative +1, Perception +7

Oh, I don't have a fear of death. When I do die; hopefully when I'm old and grey; I'll meet my Goddess and live in eternal light. My only fear is becoming an undead monstrosity of some sort. Goran says as he looks around curiously at the sailors and such.

Might need to get that bunch some fresh vegetables and fruits, if possible...they might be a little undernourished. Preserved stuff isn't as good for you as fresh... he says to no one in particular.

The Exchange

Female NG Half-Orc Bloodrager(Metamagic Rager) 5 |Buffs: Blood Boiling Pill (4/8 hours),Ablative Barrier (15/25 points, 5 hours),Alchemical Grease(4 hours),Heightened Awareness(10 min),Shield.
Resources:
Re-roll 1/1 Rage 4/18 Scabbard of Vigor 1/1| Spells 1st: 0/2
HP 52/52|Converts 5 lethal damage ==>Non lethal damage|1.5x Bleed |AC 23 T 12 FF 21|Uncanny Dodge|CMB+9 CMD 21/26 vs grapple|F +9 R +6 W +3 +2 vs Cold|INIT +11 includes H.A.|PER +14 Darkvision 60', SM+1|Speed 30'|

Rogarch raises an eyebrow at Ting's comments. Bravery is one thing but being accustomed to dying so often is another. In this warrior's mind a bit of fear from time to time is a good thing.

"Such gloomy talk. It does not bode well before a mission like this. We need to have faith in our abilities yet know when to back down to regroup when the tide of battle turns against us."


| HP 26/26 |1 non lethal damage|AC 24 T 10 FF 24| CMB +7 CMD 16| F +5 R +1 W +3| PER +8 Darkvision 60', Tremor Sense 60' SM+0| Speed 20', Burrow 20', Earth Glide, Stealth +7|Active Conditions Improved Evasion| Immune: Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning, Critical Hits, Sneak Attack, Flanking or Precision Damage|Small Earth Elemental Familiar (Arcane Bloodline) N|Buffs Mage Armor

Rawk-N-Role notices the humanoids talking about something but can tell from his master's tone and emotional state that it is really just prattle. He focuses his attention on the dwarf captain.

Terran:
"A week. That is longer than I imagined to be on water. Still I am sure that something interesting will happen during that time. It always does."


DAY TWO

The second proceeds much as the first, as the Black Mist continues hugging the shore. Late in the afternoon, Mabon finishes a long and somewhat hard-to-follow story with a mention of why he joined Captain Walren's crew. "That surly dwarf saved my hide in Daggermark after I bedded the daughter of the city’s Captain of Horse! Had he not set fire to the inn and dragged me drunk and besotted with lust into the muddy streets, I might not be standing here before you today!”

But just as the old man pauses to take a sip of his drink, a waterspout suddenly erupts off the port side of the ship, spraying everyone with foam. But incredibly, the waterspout doesn't subside--instead, it takes a monstrous, vaguely humanoid form and starts moving toward the barge! "Water elemental!" shouts Captain Walren. "To arms!"

We will now proceed to Initiative.

GM Dice:

check # 1: 1d100 ⇒ 81
check # 2: 1d100 ⇒ 5
check # 3: 1d100 ⇒ 41
check # 2 result: 1d100 ⇒ 37


INITIATIVE (ROUND 1)

Goran
Ting

Water Elemental
Candledark
Rogarch

Bold should go!

Barge squares with crates, etc., are difficult terrain.

GM Dice:

Initiative (Rogarch): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Initiative (Goran): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Initiative (Ting): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Initiative (Candledark): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Initiative (Elemental): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Liberty's Edge

Slayer 6 | HP 58/58 | AC 22/T15/FF18 | F+7/R+10/W+4 | BA+6/CMB+10/CMD24 | init+4 | Perc+12/+15 | Dis. Dev. +21+24 | Sneak 2d6 | Wand CLW 5/50

Hearing the old man's warning, Ting turns, seeing the water elemental rise to the surface. "Bloody 'ell!" blurting out an expletive, Ting begins to move towards the center of he ship where his fellow pathfinders were, drawing his unusual bastard sword grasping it in both talons as he readies to attack if the thing draws near.

30 ft move, drawing weapons as he goes, Readied attack: + 1 bastard sword, PA, FF
readied attack: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 10 + 1 = 18 for damage: 1d10 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 6 = 14

Grand Lodge

male Human Cleric 6, HP 50/52, AC 21, T 13, FF 18, F +7, R +6, W +9, Initiative +1, Perception +7

Lovely...let's see if I can soften him up a bit... Goran says as he flings a ball of fire at the elemental.

fireball, dc 16: 3d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 1) = 10

1 to 50 of 1,085 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Jhaeman's PFS1 Module: "City of Golden Death" Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.