Troubles in Otari

Game Master Dorian 'Grey'

Campaign "Three Girls, a Tree Fairy and a Soldier"

Having grown up in the small town of Otari, our Heroes are about to venture forth for their initial adventure!

Roll20


1 to 50 of 1,328 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

OTARI

Otari is a small coastal town a few days’ travel from a major city. Otari is a thriving, diverse lumber town and trade port with a storied past and its fair share of sinister secrets. Founded by a group of adventurers over 400 years ago, the town has weathered attacks from kobolds and strange monsters, economic woes and windfalls, and cycles of prosperity and strife. Today, the town is a prosperous community and one of the largest settlements along the coast, but outside groups have their eye on Otari’s fortunes, and centuries-old threats still lie buried beneath the cobblestones! Otari is nestled in a coastal valley between two looming cliffs. The Osprey River flows into the sea in the middle of this valley, and the sturdy stone to either side of this river supports hundreds of buildings and a deep harbor.
Otari rarely floods, but the numerous caves, warrens, and channels dug beneath the town do so regularly. Though day-to-day life in Otari resembles that in any small town, its skyline stands out due to the enormous waterwheel at its eastern edge, the ingenious and enormous flume that brings lumber down the cliffside for easy transportation, and a stunning library to the west. The town’s location near a major highway and its long history as a home to various adventuring parties lead visitors and travelers alike to seek it out. Lively trade passing through means unusual wares (and even magic items) aren’t too difficult to find. Just over 1,200 people live in Otari, drawn from all over
the world. While most of these residents are humans, some dwarves and elves also live here. Most residents work in the local fishing and lumber industries. For the most part, people in Otari are friendly and welcoming, though they prefer its small-town feel and make lighthearted fun of visitors from big cities. Coffee is a mainstay, a favorite drink among the hardworking and early-rising townsfolk. Oseph Menhemes, a descendant of one of Otari’s founders, has served multiple terms as the town’s elected mayor thanks to his easygoing efficiency and the townspeople’s general deference to tradition. He also runs one of the town’s main lumber companies, making him wealthy as well as influential.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Otari Map

Who’s Who in Otari:

The heroes are likely to encounter some of the following groups or individuals during their adventures in or near Otari.

LARDUS LONGSADDLE
The Otari Guard keeps the peace in town, and their leader is the gruff and stout Captain Lardus Longsaddle. Any heroes who get in trouble with the Otari Guard should hope to deal with anyone other than the captain—his curse-laden tirades are legendary, and he’s inclined to issue short jail sentences for minor infractions. Conversely, heroes who catch criminals earn a rare (though often short-lived) position on Captain Longsaddle’s good side, earning bounties from the captain’s pay chest. Fighters might have trained with the Otari Guard or aspired to join their ranks.

LUMBER COMPANIES
The biggest business in Otari is lumber, and three families control the industry. The largest operator is Otari Lumber, owned by Mayor Oseph Menhemes, which operates the massive Giant’s Wheel and the Loading
Flume. Whistledown Cutters is Otari’s most financially successful lumber company due to the cunning business sense of its owner, Alymora Inkleholtz. Chertel Timber, the third company, has recently struggled due to a combination of poor management, labor issues in its lumber camps, and difficulties with financing. All three lumber companies have a not-so-secret enemy in the Kortos Consortium, an externally based organization that wants to control the timber industry in Otari and many nearby communities. The Kortos Consortium isn’t above sabotage or worse to seize control of local interests. Heroes might find work for any of these lumber companies, often against the others!

VANDY BANDERDASH
The head priestess of Otari’s largest temple, the Dawnflower Library, is a chatty woman named Vandy Banderdash. Always eager to greet newcomers, regardless of their faith or vocation, Vandy has a surprising knack for recommending the perfect bit of reading to people she’s only just met. She’s open-minded on almost every subject, but has no patience for thievery, as her sister stole several valuable books from the temple and fled not long ago. Vandy is a useful contact for any hero, especially clerics.

YANYISMERA
The lanky and shrewd Yanyismera owns Crook’s Nook, making her one of the town’s most prominent business owners. The fact that she’s also the head of the Osprey Club, Otari’s thieves’ guild, only increases her influence. She’s loyal to her town and rarely permits her thieves to
target locals, although outsiders are fair targets for con games or robberies. Heroes unafraid to step outside the law eventually come to Yanyismera’s attention, and she might arrange illicit smuggling jobs or daring raids on visiting ships. Rogues from Otari might
know Yanyismera or might even currently be in her employ!

Gathering Places:

Gathering places are at the heart of every settlement, and quite a few adventuring parties first meet up in a tavern.

CROW’S CASKS
A sign over the door to this two-story stone building depicts a group of drunk crows perched on a leaky cask. Crow’s Casks is more than just a tavern—it’s a brewery and a shrine to Cayden Cailean, the god of heroes, bravery, and ale. Its proprietor, Magiloy, is a retired pirate who enjoys experimenting with new drinks. She’s always looking for enthusiastic customers to taste her newest concoctions.

CROOK’S NOOK
Crook’s Nook serves several purposes in town—the large wooden structure functions as a bridge over the Osprey River, as a cheap place to get a room for the night, and as a tavern well known for serving the best seafood in town. Trapdoors in the tavern’s floor allow direct access to the river below for fishing, but foolhardy (or inebriated) patrons sometimes wrestle over these openings to determine who’s stronger and who’s getting wet. The building’s attic serves as the guildhall for Otari’s thieves’ guild, the Osprey Club—a function that’s perhaps the town’s worst-kept secret, as evidenced by the building’s very name.

OTARI FISHERY
Every night, from an hour before sundown to an hour before midnight, Tamily Tanderveil opens the ground floor of the town’s main fishery to sailors, laborers, and travelers alike, offering a comfortable and welcoming place to gather for games and entertainment. A small menu is offered for those who wish to have drinks or snacks while gaming here,
the proceeds of which Tamily frequently gives back in the form of contests and prize money for various impromptu gaming tournaments.

OTARI GARRISON
The headquarters of the Otari Guard is a sturdy stone building hung with green-and-white banners that match the guards’ uniforms. These guards keep the peace in town and patrol the surrounding roads to ensure they stay free of banditry and trouble. The guards also serve as the town’s firefighters. Heroes might visit the garrison to hear about bandits or other adventure opportunities—or they might end up in one of the jail cells in the basement if they cause a ruckus in town!

ROWDY ROCKFISH
Despite its name, the Rowdy Rockfish is the quietest and quaintest of Otari’s taverns. A sign depicting a rockfish with its fins up in a boxing pose hangs outside, but within, the calm demeanor of the tavern’s patrons might make someone wonder if it ever actually hosts barroom brawls. The Rockfish’s current proprietor is a dignified dwarf named Brelda Venkervale, a stoic but shrewd businesswoman who took over the bar after her son, Lasda—the previous owner—vanished without a trace.

Landmarks:

Whether approached by sea or by land, Otari has several distinctive landmarks that everyone in town knows.

DAWNFLOWER LIBRARY
Otari’s largest temple is built at the town’s westernmost edge, atop an upraised shelf that’s nevertheless far below the clifftop. The library’s position allows it to catch the rays of the rising sun, which transform its central dome into a brilliantly glowing testament to the sun goddess Sarenrae—at least when the sky is clear. While principally dedicated to Sarenrae, the Dawnflower Library welcomes all non-evil faiths. The building’s two wings contain shrines, and the center houses a wide range
of books, including histories, satires, textbooks, and maps to innumerable exciting locales.

THE GIANT’S WHEEL
This towering waterwheel is truly a sight to behold. With a diameter of 30 feet, the immense wooden wheel generates the torque needed to power a mechanized lumber mill and turn the treadmill that transports cut logs.
The Giant’s Wheel has belonged to the Menhemes family for generations, but it isn’t exclusively used by the Otari Mill. The other two lumber
companies pay to use the mill, allowing Oseph to keep an eye on his competition. The constant noise of the wheel’s grinding and churning competes with the whine of the saws and the clatter of the loading ramp. At night, the busywork of the mill can be heard in the town below.
Day-to-day operation of the Giant’s Wheel and its mill fall to its foreman, the heavily scarred ex-gladiator named Klorte Hengus. In his youth, Klorte made a name for himself as a gladiator in a distant metropolis, fighting with paired hatchets as “the Lumberjacker.” The serious Klorte considers that violent past behind him, and he fails to see any irony in the fact that he now works for actual lumberjacks.

LOADING FLUME
This long flume sends water diverted from the Osprey River and timber from the Giant’s Wheel hundreds of feet south to the harbor for easy loading onto ships. The loading flume has long been a draw to local youths who enjoy “riding the chute,” but Klorte keeps a wary eye out for such foolishness.

STONE RING POND
A total of two dozen standing stones, each exactly 12 feet high, stand like sentries around the shores of a shallow pond. The site is usually occupied by polite but aloof pilgrims of Desna or of Gozreh, the god of nature. A kindly nature priest named Worliwynn is the site’s only permanent resident, and she helps the loggers work harmoniously with nature.

Goods and Services:

Heroes need quality equipment for their adventures, so your party might look to make some purchases while they’re in Otari. If you’d like, the following shops can serve as more than just places for heroes to spend their hard-earned wealth; their proprietors are interesting people who can aid the heroes in other ways.

BLADES FOR GLADES
The primary smithy in town specializes in crafting saws, axes, and other tools used in the lumber trade, but the skilled smiths here also produce quality armor, shields, and weapons. The owner of Blades for Glades is a misanthropic man named Carman Rajani, who’s as happy to sell a sword to split an orc as a hatchet to fell a tree. He’s descended from one of Otari’s founders and believes himself entitled to better treatment from the townspeople than his surly demeanor earns him.

CROW’S CASKS
This brewery’s proprietor, Magiloy, creates magical potions in addition to delicious (but sometimes questionable) beverages. Magiloy might reserve special potions or good deals for those who fetch rare ingredients for her or for those who break up the tavern’s occasional bar fights.

DAWNFLOWER LIBRARY
Otari’s largest temple contains more than ordinary books; the clerics also sell scrolls of cleric spells, wands with cleric spells, and +1 magic weapons. True to her reputation of being unusually knowledgeable, the high priestess Vandy Banderdash can often direct visitors to exactly the scroll or weapon they need. The clerics here can also cast spells for the heroes, such as healing magic: a heal spell or another 1st-level cleric spell costs 3 gp, while heal level 2 or another 2nd-level cleric spell costs 7 gp. Heroes need to meet the clerics at the Dawnflower Library to receive such services, though; the clerics are much too busy with their daily duties to travel alongside the heroes.

GALLENTINE DELIVERIES
Oloria Gallentine is a seventh-generation citizen of Otari and the owner of the fastest and most reliable delivery service in the area. Oloria can probably acquire anything the heroes need that they can’t find in Otari, although the price for such orders might be steep. Heroes in need of coin can also find opportunities at Gallentine Deliveries. Oloria has a regular need for reliable couriers, and she’ll pay heroes who seem trustworthy to deliver dangerous cargo to unusual locations.

ODD STORIES
The wizard Morlibint specializes in fanciful fiction, but he and his husband also sell textbooks, teaching tools, and scrolls of wizard spells. Morlibint is incredibly well-read and can help the heroes decipher tomes in ancient or unusual languages they might encounter in their adventures. He eagerly purchases rare books the heroes come across in their adventures, hoping to resell them at a profit (after reading them himself, of course). Morlibint can also cast wizard spells for the heroes: a 1st-level wizard spell costs 3 gp, while a 2nd-level wizard spell costs 7gp. However, he isn’t willing to accompany the heroes on their adventures—they’ll have to come to him to obtain his spellcasting services. Morlibint likes talking shop with other wizards. A wizard
hero on good terms with Morlibint can Learn a Spell from him.

OTARI MARKET
One part open-air farmer’s market, one part log-cabin trading post, the Otari Market is a one-stop shop for most basic goods. Available wares usually include all adventuring gear, light armor, and simple weapons.
The market’s owner is the dour, humorless Keeleno Lathenar. Keeleno pays handsomely for wolf pelts, as a wolf-like monster slew his wife years ago, and he hopes to one day acquire the skin of her killer.

WRIN’S WONDERS
This odd, domed building is always open. The proprietor, Wrin Sivinxi, sells adventuring gear, consumable magic items (except ammunition), held magic items, magic wands, and worn magic items. Wrin is a bit unusual, seeing menace in every corner and truths in the constellations above, but she’s eager to get to know adventurers and show off the many magical trinkets in her collection. She also gathers rumors and therefore makes a good contact for a group of heroes looking for their next adventure!

Dangerous Locales:

Even a town as small and comfortable as Otari has its fair share of dangerous places nearby that many locals know to avoid. That makes them perfect places for adventurers to investigate!

GAUNTLIGHT KEEP
About a half hour’s walk north of Otari is a sprawling swamp called the Fogfen. The ruined Gauntlight Keep lies within, overgrown with moss and overrun with vermin. The most mysterious feature of Gauntlight Keep is a lighthouse that towers above the ruins, curiously far from the shore.

OTARI GRAVEYARD
High on the cliff above the Dawnflower Library, the Otari Graveyard holds crumbling mausoleums and groves of leafless trees. Few enter this ancient cemetery other than the acolytes who tend it, as it’s hard to reach even though it looms over the town. Rumors of undead roaming the cemetery at night persist among Otari’s most superstitious townspeople.

OTARI HINTERLANDS
The old hills and forests around Otari have been inhabited since long before the town existed. Fallen fortresses of wouldbe warlords, dankbarrows crawling with undead, and caves filled with monsters and forgotten treasure lie within a few hours’ walk of Otari. Many locals have heard the rumors of danger and treasure in the Otari hinterlands, and it’s up to adventurers to discover whether these tales hold any truth!

RUINS OF THE THIRSTY ALPACA
Once the largest tavern in Otari, the Thirsty Alpaca collapsed suddenly only a few weeks ago. Several employees and a few visitors from out of town perished in the collapse, and the tavern’s owner has gone missing. Today, locals avoid the ruins, for strange lights and eerie sounds have given the place the reputation of being haunted.

Story Seeds with possible Hooks for off the cuff adventures. Beware! Spoilers!:

The heroes might end up spending some time in Otari, and adventures can happen in town just as easily as in a dungeon or the wilderness. Here are possible encounters and seeds for larger stories.

A BAD DAY AT THE MARKET
Laborers laying the foundation for an expansion to the Otari Market unearth a nest of giant centipedes that spill into the market stalls and must be exterminated. The centipedes’ lair connects to a disused sewer system, where a group of goblins are planning a sneaky raid on the market. If the heroes act quickly, they can catch the goblin thieves by surprise.

THE FIRE GOD
An arsonist captured by the Otari Guard insists that her crimes were commanded by a divine being she met in the ruins of a building that had burned down year earlier. The building contains a hell hound, cinder rats, and a creature of shimmering fire who claims to be a god. This “god” is the malevolent ghost of an actor who died in the earlier fire and hopes to deceive the living.

GRIM HARVEST
Two acolytes from the Dawnflower Library are acting suspiciously, opening the graves in the Otari Graveyard they’re supposed to be tending. Investigation shows the acolytes have been murdered and replaced by doppelgangers. They’ve been exhuming the graves to feed a gluttonous band of ghouls, who lair within a mausoleum the doppelgangers have filled with traps and other dangers. If the heroes defeat the ghouls, they recover a strange idol the ghouls used to command the doppelgangers; the heroes can then use the idol to discover who else in town has been replaced.

HONOR OF THIEVES
At Crook’s Nook, a brine shark elemental leaps right into the tavern from one of the trapdoors. The heroes are on hand to defeat it, earning the gratitude of the Osprey Club. The thieves decide to thank the heroes by committing minor crimes against the heroes’ rivals (or anyone they perceive to be the heroes’ rivals) and give the heroes the “credit.” These gestures undoubtedly land the heroes in trouble with Lardus Longsaddle, and the heroes must clear up the confusion.

UNDER THE THIRSTY ALPACA
The Thirsty Alpaca’s collapse was inadvertently caused by a tribe of kobolds digging out tunnels beneath it while seeking treasures they believed were still hidden there. Their biggest mistake was allying with a gang of pugwampi gremlins, whose ill luck caused the collapse. The surviving kobolds try to keep townspeople away from the ruins with their spooky tricks and traps. The kobolds seek to re-excavate the passages and also fight against the surviving gremlins, who have decided to betray them! The PCs could try to negotiate a truce, evict both the kobolds and the gremlins, or find another solution.

WRIN’S SURPRISE GIFT
While meeting with the heroes, Wrin Sivinxi receives a large, unlabeled package. She opens it to reveal animated armor that runs amok. After the heroes stop it, Wrin asks them to track down the person who shipped it. Their investigation leads to a ship at the harbor, where an old enemy of Wrin’s is hiding out with her hobgoblin warrior bodyguards.


CN Female Gnome | Life Oracle 1 | HP 10/10 | AC 19, Touch 12, FF 18 CMD 8 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +1 | Speed 15ft | Conditions:
Usable/day:
Dancing Lights 1/1, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1, Channel 6/6, Volatile Conduit 0/1, 1st 1/5

I think Sabs.


Female shield 20/20 Hero Points 3/1 Catfolk Champion 3 HP41/41 | AC 21/23| Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +6| Per +4 | Speed 25ft | Conditions:

Hello


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Getting this thread into my list... hi!


2nd dot.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin's Background

Wall of Text lurks behind this spoiler... my background is also in my profile!:

Every ancient elf was once young, as much as many would choose to forget that uncomfortable fact. Yes, every 200-year-old warrior was once a youngster of 17. Every 300-year-old scholar was once dancing at 18. Every 400-year-old wizard was once apologizing for their rash behavior at 19. Every 500-year-old… well, you get the idea.

And so, it has come to pass that a beautiful young elven woman of 18 is being lectured by her parents. Her parents, both past their second century, had hoped she would be as sensible as they always have been (or at least, as sensible as they’d been for the last 180 years). They’ve long repressed their memories of their own fiery passionate youth, and now they find themselves repressing someone else’s youth.

But Eliel has no time for them. She has eyes only for the kindly face and quiet voice of Gregg Skinker, a semi-employed (rather, a multi-employed) and somewhat scraggly youth of roughly the same age. After landing in Otari and getting trapped in the inn during a storm, Eliel spent her first evening in town watching Gregg polish the dishes, smelling the food he cooked when the chef got too drunk, tasting his well-seasoned dishes (one need not be seasoned to season), hearing him sing clever romantic-comic songs when the bard got too drunk, and finally feeling his strong hands around her waist when, after her parents went grumpily to bed, the bard woke up enough to play them a rollicking dance in the otherwise empty room—swirling in circles while the stormy sea roared outside. They danced after the bard finished singing, and danced when the fire had died down, swaying to the rhythm of the rain on the windowpanes.

The next morning, Eliel informed Gregg and her parents that she wanted to get married and stay in town.

And thus, the lecture. But if Eliel’s parents can’t believe her rashness, you can only imagine how Gregg is feeling. The Otari girls always liked him ok, but just as a friend. And then this elf girl shows up and wants to stay… forever? While he’s not the most educated of men, he’s spent countless hours in the library reading his two favorite genres: love poetry and adventures. He realizes that this is a test of his will and his heart: is he, a jack-of-all-trades, as true to his heart as a noble night or a courtly poet? He thinks so.

Having danced through the storm of the night, the young couple withstands the storm of the day. They know in their hearts that someday, Eliel will be young and beautiful when Gregg is old and decrepit. But a year at age 20 is as long for an elf as for a human, and they won’t wait for wisdom. The seeds of a beautiful tragedy are sown in fields of springlike joy and happiness.

And Tannakin was born within the year. She’s the oldest of a small swarm of brothers and sisters. Eliel and Gregg have decided to get their money’s worth out of their time together.

As she turns 21, her mother looks to be about the same age. Gregg has greyed and broadened in his early 40s, still hale and hearty, still known for miles around as the man-of-all-work who married an elf. It’s not quite fair to him, because he’s had a prosperous business as a merchant for some time now, and Tannakin has been his constant sidekick and errand-girl since a very young age. Because, frankly, it’s risky to let her out of his sight. She is wild and willful, and her parents see her nature as an incarnation of the youth and passion of their two young selves. Tannakin has been on many trips to the big city of Absalom, using her good head for languages to help her father’s business—it’s really that the only thing she likes more than listening is talking, and languages give her excuses to keep talking!

Along the way, she’s learned how to crack jokes, sling insults, and shout encouragement. Her traveling companions have taught her how to fence. Her parents have taught her to follow her heart, even if her brain says not to.

Because, after these 20 years, Eliel and Gregg are still happy. Forty is still pretty young, after all. They’ve never regretted their impetuous decisions, and maybe they’ve taken it a bit too far, feeling like it’s hypocritical to ask Tannakin to be wiser than they were. And even if Tannakin can be a handful, she’s an awful lot of fun.

Sometimes, Eliel finds herself standing by the window, looking at the sea and wondering how she’s going to take it when Gregg dies. She wonders if she’ll be strong enough to stand by him while his health fails. She wonders if she’ll be able to handle it when Tannakin, her firecracker of a daughter, also gets old and dies. Tannakin and her brothers and sisters. Usually, Eliel pushes these thoughts out of her head and tries to focus on what’s in front of her. Sometimes, she wonders if someone was thinking along these lines when they left their child at the Temple of the Dawnflower… [this might be edited when I see Airi’s reasons for being at the temple!]

Airi knows Gregg and Eliel as kindly presences on the fringes of her life. They never forget her birthday and they never fail to give a small gift on festival days. Sometimes, Gregg will bring her one of his excellent homemade pastries as he checks out a legendary romance from the library, or Eliel will ask her to go on a walk to the market.

They’ve always told Tannakin to keep an eye on the (somewhat) younger woman. Maybe destiny has something special in store for the half-elves of Otari…


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

The small seaside town of Otari is known for its fresh fish and skilled sailors, but above all, it’s a big logging town, providing
valuable wood to the nearby metropolis of Absalom.

But for you, Otari is home. You grew up playing among the trees of the Immenwood, getting lost in the nearby woods, and hearing the fantastical stories of travelers from faraway lands, tales of terrifying dragons and virtuous knights. Such adventure always seemed so distant—until today!

Word has begun to spread around Otari that there’s a problem down at the Otari Fishery. Some are saying that some sort of beast is lurking in the basement, feeding on the stores of salted fish. Folks are worried that whatever is eating the fish might get hungry enough to eat the fishers next!

You’ve received a letter from Tamily Tanderveil, the owner of the Fishery. Inside is a desperate plea for help. With the town guard busy protecting the loggers, she needs a few brave souls to venture down into the basement of her warehouse and put an end to the beast that’s feasting on her fish!

Do you have the courage to face the menace under Otari?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

The morning is bright and warm. The birds speaking to each other was a beautiful background to the other chittering and chirping coming from below the tree fort. A refreshing breeze blow lazily through the window of the tree fort listening in on the serious conversations from within.

Inside our budding heroes to be huddled together rereading the notice that come there way just a few minutes before.

What do these younglings do with such adult information? Is this the moment they have been dreaming of since the rain first splattered on the leaves announcing a vastness out there yet to be explored?

As the wind gently circles around, between and even suggesting a nudge of sorts, let us also listen in on the conversation within....

Can you guess which was from The Book? Time for some good ol' fashion role-playing! The stage is yours!


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts

Verdi's green leaves softly fluttered in the breeze circling around them. She was perched on one of the nearest windowsills. Ness sat on one of the low chairs of the treehouse, feeling a little out of place inside its wooden walls. She enjoyed her time, here, with the other girls, yet she was never completely comfortable. She admired the ancient willow oak which embraced the structure; the small acorns hiding among the foliage.

Looking to Airi and Tannakin directly, yet not excluding Leo or his corgi, Ness stated openly, "Why does Mistress Tamily feel that we can lay to rest this supposed vicious beast in the basement? If it's just innocently searching for fish to feed itself, then why should it die? I'm not going to kill it because it's hungry and folks are scared of what it might do. I could study it and determine what kind of creature it is to put folks' fear to rest. We know it loves to eat fish," her brow scrunched in strong thought and certain indignation.


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

"Something fishy at the market? Tamily feeling salty? Let's free the beast, Ness!"

Work post, hope to post more post-work


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

Fluff:
Following his trusty steed through the woods, Leo paused for a moment calling Ambrose back to him. Sitting down on one of the tiny roots, taking a sip from his waterskin. Pouring some into his hand for Ambrose he let he dog lick the water from his hand. He could tell Abrose appreciated the water. No that wasn't right, it was more than that. He knew Abrose was communicating his feelings to him. Pausing for a moment he looked at the miniscule dog, asking him in Sylvan. "How are you showing me that?"

Realizing that Ambrose wanted to 'show him more' he sat waiting. The corgi happily climbed onto his lap and began licking his face. As their minds focused together, Leo realized Ambrose was sharing spells with him. Stunned he looked at the tiny corgi, wiping the kisses off of his chin. Having learned enough about different casting methods at the academy, his eyes widened. "I may not get to learn to be a wizard, but this curse has made me a witch and you, Ambrose my dear corgi, are my familiar."

Getting to his feet, reinvigorated with the fact that he could still cast spells, Leo realized that Ambrose was smelling something that delighted him. Following the tiny dog, they soon came to a cave in the woods. Leo was to learn that the cave was occupied by an amazing leaf leshy named Verdi and her pet dwarf, a druid named Nyswyn.

The comely dwarf lived there in the cave, and had elvish friends who had a tree house that they might let him live in. Leo was terribly excited at the prospect of living in a tree house. He had lived in tree houses his entire life. Elms, oaks, even a nifty birch that had been hollowed out by a green headed woodpecker. He loved living in trees. Apparently the two elves lived in the human town and visited the tree fairly regularly. Ones name was Airi and the others was Tannakin.

Once they reached the 'tree house' Leo was very confused. Apparently it wasn't a tree to live in, but a small house assembled in the tree's branches. Not one to look a gift newt in the eye, Leo shrugged and picking up his miniscule corgi, climbed the ladder to the tree house behind the dwarf and the Leechy.

Setting Ambrose on the floor, Leo gives a proper sweeping bow. Doffing his plain grey felt hat, the brim almost touching the wooden floor of the tree house. When he first approached Nyswyn's cave he had spoken to the dwarf and Leeshy in sylvan. Having learned that Taldan was the tongue of the locals he thanked the Eldest that he had studied that language back at the academy. Granted what they taught in the academy may have been archaic but it would have to do. Giving the best smile his plain boring face could. "Greetings fair maidens. Tis I Leo, late of the first world, and my trusty steed Ambrose, come to make thine acquaintance and to beg succor from thee."
------------------------------
After the introductions were done, Leo followed Nyswyn's lead and also reclined in one of the low chairs of the treehouse. As the others talked he tried to remember the things that Nyswyn had told him about the lumber town. Reading the letter when it was handed to him. After going through it a couple of time he realized the owner of the fishery had something in the basement eating her fish. Not entirely sure of what a fishery was. he was sure it had something to do with fish and something to do with a building since it included a basement. I dawned on him as the other spoke that some beast had found it's way to the fish and this person Tamily wanted them to do something about it. Willing to earn his keep, he chimes in. "Pray thee, might Ambrose and i join thee on thine adventure. I have some small skill in majicks."


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Minor ninjaing by Leo--I think I've edited my post to fit!

Tannakin is delighted by their guest and his archaic speech and funny accent (though she's traveled enough not to reveal the latter). "You talk like an old book, Leo! I shall try to speak to thee in thine own tongue, traveler from ye First Worlde..." She laughs at the effort of trying to keep up the old-fashioned speech.

"What do you think of our treefort, my good sir? Airi and I started it years ago and we've been adding on to it ever since. Ness makes sure we don't hurt the tree (she can hear it when it barks... get it?). Want a snack? Check this out."

Tannakin moves across the main room of the treefort and grabs two ropes that are looped around branches. She pulls one and a trapdoor opens in the roof.

The other cord is a much longer coil. As she unloops it from its holder, she braces against a moderate weight and starts playing out the rope.

A box descends from a pulley high above, through the trapdoor, and to the treehouse floor.

"Hanging the food keeps it safe from most snack-loving wildlife."

The box contains simple, long-keeping fare. Dried fruit and fruit leather, hardtack, sustainably sourced capicola/other dried sausages, very hard cheeses... it's not the most elegant, but it's delicious.

She secures the rope and walks across the fort to a little door in the wall. The door opens to a long branch that hangs over a burbling stream far below the willow oak. The branch has ropes attached to it to make traversing it relatively safe--far out is a little winch and bucket.

Tannakin hauls up a pail of cold, clean water. When back in the main room, she dips out cups for everyone... and a bowl for Ambrose, who also gets a pat and a sausage.

"Pretty slick, eh? Food, water, shelter--what more do you need? Gets cold at night, but we have blankets. You can stay as long as you need a place, right Airi?"

At the mention of magicks, she grins. "Show me show me!"


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts
Tannakin Skinker wrote:

"Let's free the beast, Ness!"

Nyswyn gave a distinct nod of approval at the prospect of freeing the beast. "Now that's the right attitude, Tann!"

Leo wrote:

Willing to earn his keep, he chimes in. "Pray thee, might Ambrose and i join thee on thine adventure. I have some small skill in majicks."

His manner of speech hurt her ears. Too flowery for the folk of this settlement. Ness' brow shot up as Tannakin tried to imitate Leo, "One of you who speaks like that is more than enough," Ness spoke in her usual forthright manner; a small smile playing across her lips. So Leo possessed magic - that was good to know. "I, too, have some instinctual talent. I can tap into the raw magic of nature around me." Then remembering he'd asked about joining them in regard to the beast at the fishery, she answered, "The more the merrier!"

As Tannakin began demonstrating every aspect of the tree fort to its new resident, Ness was content enough to gaze at Verdi with a warm smile and then out the window, happily listening to the soft rustling leaves.


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

Smiling as Tannakin compared his use of Taldane to an old book. Leo liked old books, as a matter of fact, all the books he had read were old books. He couldn't remember seeing a new one. Raising an eyebrow when the elf called Taldane' Leo's 'own tongue' Leo responded in Elvish. see below

Turning towards Nyswyn as she chastised Tannakin, looking back towards Tannakin, he explained in Taldane what he had told the elf in Elvish. "I beg your pardon Nyswyn, as I wast explaining to the Lady Tannakin, the Taldane, in whist I speak, is not my native tongue. Forsooth, I am more proficient in Sylvan or Elvish or even Gnomish, but since Taldane beith the local dialect, I shalt endeavor to practice it." He gives a weak smile thinking maybe he should speak less around the other local 'humans'.

Relieved the topic was changing to the 'tree-fort,' as Tannakin moved towards the two ropes, Leo got up and followed her. Naturally curious about machines of all sorts, he watched as she raised the trapdoor and lowered the box of food. Nodding as she explained the need to keep it way from the local wildlife. Accepting a handful of raisins from Tannakin he returned to his chair while Ambrose partook of the water and sausage. Smiling as she asked about the accommodations in the tree house, he was impressed with the two elves generosity, responding in Elvish as he waived his hand gesturing towards the tree house. Elvish response is again printed below :)

As the conversation turned to magic, Leo looked towards Ambrose as Nswyn explained her 'nature magic.' He realized that some of his 'Curse' could be difficult to accept, especially in pleasant company. So as Nyswyn finished speaking, he smiled as she welcomed him along on their adventure. Instead of explaining his odd relationship with Amborse, he waved his hands and said "ကခုန်ခြင်းမီးများ" as the dancing lights appeared he moved them around the room. While doing so, he waived his hand at the bit of sausage Ambrose had dropped on the floor, saying "ဂုဏ်ပြုခြင်း". The sausage, and dirt around it, seemed to be swept out the door of the tree house. After the demonstration, he shrugs, trying to speak more plainly. "There are other small magicks I knowest, which mayest prove invaluable shouldst difficulty arise."

Elvish:
"Actually Sylvan is my 'own tongue' I also speak Draconic and Gnomish. I hadn't really spoken Taldane since I took a class. So I thought I should practice it."

"The tree house is wonderful, I couldn't ask for better accommodations until I figure out how to return to my regular body and find a way back to the first world. Thank you so much."


F Human(1/2 elf) Rogue (Ruffian) 1 HP 18/18; AC(T) 18 ,Fort(T) [+5],Ref(E) [+7],Will(E) [+5]| Perception(E)+5 Low-light vision| Speed: 25 ft Exploration Mode: Search

Leo, nice to meet you.

Welcome to our tree fort. You may stay as long as you need. But please help keep it clean. Tannakin can be a little messy and thinks someone else should clean-up after her.

Now let's get the show on the road.


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin, chewing an overlarge bite hardtack and spraying crumbs everywhere, stops to argue her innocence. "Whort? Or'm vory tody on nit."

When she washes it down (spilling a little water on the way), she grins. "Very tidy and neat. Don't listen to Airi"

I thought I posted this morning, but it's gone! Darn. Will recreate later.


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts

When Leo spoke of his preferred tongue, Ness nodded in understanding. "In my woodland home and with Verdi, I speak the Sylvan tongue. With the girls and the locals, I revert to the Common tongue and with my kin I speak Dwarven. You've a better ear for languages than I."

When he reverted to the language of the two girls' Elven ancestors (which she recognised from the sounds although she did not recognise all the words for she was yet to learn their tongue), Ness gave her attention back to Verdi and the beautiful sight outside the window. Only when Leo started speaking in the Common tongue did she pick up that he possessed magic of a kind, which he had yet to explain but which would be useful. "Another resource to help us move the beast to the water or forest is a good thing," is all she added. Leo appeared disoriented in their world. It would take him time to find his balance.

Then talk turned to keeping the fort neat and tidy and Ness rolled her eyes as Tannakin talked with mouth full of hardtack and water, which was typical of the wild girl. She chuckled softly at Tann's protestation.


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

The wind begins to stir inside the comfortable tree fort. Loose strands of hair begin to fly and flutter from each as they sit and ponder the letter. Having been dreaming of an adventure of their own, Sansaárë, Tannakin, Nyswyn and the newly acquainted Leo (along with Verdi and Ambrose, of course) decide to find out exactly what was going on at the Fishery!
Gathering supplies, arms, and a few biscuits, our budding heroes climb down from their tree fort and begin the 1 mile walk there!

Along the way the group can see a few bunches of townsfolk standing about gossiping.
Be un dragon me be bet'n!, they overhear a dwarf (Nokham) from Blades for Glades.

Darn Fishery be ripe fer sum monster! Stink'n and gambl'n!, come from a grandmothery-looking lady. Her husband seemingly nodding his head.

Perception DC 14:
He smells of cheap wine and the husband has been seen playing cards at the Fishery.

As the 3 girls and the fairy continue onwards, the amount of eyes that follow them grow. Low murmurings of surprise follow on their heels....

Tamily Tanderveil, the owner of the Fishery, is standing just outside the building. She is busy wringing her hands and pleading for someone to help her.
I heard some strange sounds coming from the basement! I went down as far as a few steps; just enough to see the broken barrels and spilled and pilfered fish! But I thought I heard a menacing growl, so I felt it prudent to get professional help!

The halfling woman turns to face the group as they walk up to her with hope in her eyes....


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Tan doesn't click on the spoiler.

Instead, she grins at the townsfolk as she swaggers in, her hand on the hilt of her real-life rapier. "Make way, good people, we've got a delegation that speaks draconic here to negotiate with the ferocious dragon!"

She reports the town gossip to Tamily, saying "Hi, miz Tamily! The folks say there's fish missing from your casino! But fear not, for you will have something better than professional help. Professionals... jaded, slow, complacent, always thinking of the bottom line. No, miz Tamily, what you need is something different. Something better. What you need..."

She turns to the gathering crowd, drawing and flourishing her blade. "Is some assistance from passionate amateurs! We're your service to investigate all growling that doesn't come from a hungry, fishless belly. We have but one condition: if the monster be not a true monster, but rather a wild beast that is simply out of its proper context, we request the right to return it to its natural habitat, wherever that may be."

She imagines how fun it would be to find a befuddled walrus or a bamboozled polar bear in the basement... and then traveling with Ness, Airi, and Leo to the frozen northlands!


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts
Nokham wrote:

Along the way the group can see a few bunches of townsfolk standing about gossiping.

Be un dragon me be bet'n!, they overhear a dwarf (Nokham) from Blades for Glades.

She'd recognise his voice from anywhere. Looking to her elder brother, Ness lifted her hand in quick greeting and pondered on the possibility of a dragon in the Fishery basement. Nokham shook his head at her appearance in town, outside her usual Sunday visit.

Perception (DC 14): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Not sure who the 'he' is that smells of cheap wine - Nokham or the husband. I'll go with the latter. Ness wrinkled her nose as the smell of cheap wine wafted from the granny's man. Even for all his wife's complaining, the man had been seen playing cards at the Fishery.

The murmurings and stares she was accustomed to, yet they seemed to be growing in persistence as their small party continued their walk to the Tanderveil Fishery. Tann was the first one to address the halfling owner and Ness had no desire to interrupt her friend.

Tann wrote:

"We're your service to investigate all growling that doesn't come from a hungry, fishless belly. We have but one condition: if the monster be not a true monster, but rather a wild beast that is simply out of its proper context, we request the right to return it to its natural habitat, wherever that may be."

Good, good, Ness thought silently. Best to set our conditions and assert we'd not be killing without some inspection of the warehouse, especially the basement where the growl was heard. "If it's a wild beast, it's probably stuck down there even with all the fish it can gobble up. Best we go see for ourselves, then we'll see what can be done." she added in way of reassurance.


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Smiling and nodding at Airi's comment, Leo would be able to use prestidigitation to help clean up, as well as physically pick things up. As Abrose hurried over and started licking up the Crumbs Tan sprayed, Leo realized that Ambrose enjoyed licking up dropped food items, so it seems he would help clean up as well.

When the ladies announced that they were ready to leave, Leo shouldered his pack,tucking his staff through a strap, he picked up the tiny corgi and climbed back down the ladder. Walking along behind the ladies, he began to whistle a jaunty tune, spinning his staff. After dropping it a few times he realized that this human body was not as nimble as his spritely one. Smiling, but he was able take much larger steps so maybe it balanced out. Pausing as they neared the human town, it was similar but different from the city of Anophaeus. It seemed that most of the buildings here were built out of wood, stone and brick. Very different indeed. He smiled watching Abrose run around and smell everything, the corgi was clearly enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of the new town.

Hearing the dwarf laying wagers that it was a dragon, Leo wondered if the fellow was any relationship to Nyswyn. He'd have to ask her later, smiling to himself; it wouldn't do for him to start making wagers with her kin. Chuckling at Tan's comment about ferocious dragons, even with Leo's limited knowledge of the area he doubted it was a dragon or monster. They were probably right. Just some creature or humanoid that found it easier to eat the fisheries fish instead of catching their own.

As they approach the lady standing by the fishery, when she begins to talk, Leo realizes she must be the person who sent the letter. Raising an eyebrow as Tan describes them as passionate amateurs, Leo nodded, he wasn't sure about the passionate part but he knew the description of himself as an amateur was certainly right. Whether the beast was stuck or had just found fortuitus entrance, they would have to figure it out. Looking to his companions, he leans in a little, not feeling exceptionally brave. "Pray thee, ladies, who doth desire to proceed first."


F Human(1/2 elf) Rogue (Ruffian) 1 HP 18/18; AC(T) 18 ,Fort(T) [+5],Ref(E) [+7],Will(E) [+5]| Perception(E)+5 Low-light vision| Speed: 25 ft Exploration Mode: Search

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Sansaárë looks around at everyone and brushes her hand threw her hair.

Tann, please wipe the crumbs off of your clothes and face before we go to the fishery. Let's make sure that we have our weapons so if they are needed.

She turns around and climbs out of the fort and heads into town.


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Tamily Tanderveil claps her hands in joy as these young heroes prepare to descend into the basement of the Fishery.
My goodness! Such brave young heroes! Yes, of course, if it is just a stray then by all means save it.

The crowd begins to gather, as Sansaárë, Tannakin, Nyswyn and Leo agree to help Tamily's Fishery!
By the way once you secure my Fishery, I shall pay you each 10 gold pieces. Good luck!

Going to ask each to tag Exploration: x for me for next posts.

The stairs leading into the basement of the Otari Fishery creak with age as you make your way downstairs to find the beast that has been eating all the fish. In the center of the room, between stone pillars holding up the fishery overhead, are barrels filled with salted fish. Two of these barrels have been smashed open, spilling their contents on the floor. In the east wall is a large hole, opening into darkness.

Still learning how to show you map without any monsters...

EDIT! Apologies to you all. I can't figure out map lighting stuff, so you get to view the entire thing. I will work on it more tomorrow.

Let me know what you want to do. The only light actually is coming from upstairs.


F Human(1/2 elf) Rogue (Ruffian) 1 HP 18/18; AC(T) 18 ,Fort(T) [+5],Ref(E) [+7],Will(E) [+5]| Perception(E)+5 Low-light vision| Speed: 25 ft Exploration Mode: Search

Sansaárë looks around the corner to see what may be in the room.

OK guys. Let's be quiet while we look around the room to see what kind of clues we can find as to what monster is in here.
We don't want it to get aggressive if possible.

Hopefully we can get it back to where it belongs without hurting it.

Exploration mode: Search. I don't mind the secret checks.


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

As they head towards the stair well, Leo waived his hand and said "မှော် သံချပ်" casting the spell mage armor. Looking down at the diminutive corgi, Leo told him to stay back "ပြန်နေပါ။" Shifting the staff under his arm, holding the weapon as he would a wand, he then waived his hand again, "ကခုန်မီးများ" Casting dancing lights, he moved them with Airi as she headed down the stairs first.

Secret checks is fine, I believe to maintain the dancing lights he must spend an action?


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Your current Exploration Mode would be "Repeat a Spell". We are currently in Exploration Mode so only Exploration Activities...until someone releases the Kracken!


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

I think Search is right for me too! Not positive.

Tannakin lights up a torch and sticks close to Airi, sword at the ready, words on the tip of her tongue... but she manages to keep them there.

For now.


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts

I added some squares to block off the parts of the map we haven't ventured into. To remove the squares - it's just click on the select arrow button in top left corner and then hit delete on your keyboard. If you just want to move the grey squares, to show new areas, click the select arrow button again and it'll allow you to move around each square by clicking and dragging.

Ness' vision in the dark was very good, so she had no need for added light like the others. Lifting and placing Verdi inside her coat pocket for her own protection (until they could discover what manner of creature resided and fed in the Fishery), with staff in hand, Ness followed behind Tannakin, her steps were her usual as stealth was not something she had any skill in. As per Airi's suggestion, though, she did not converse as she moved for she did not want her words to carry and be heard for her friends' sake.

Exploration mode: Search. I have no issue either way regarding the secret rolls. If the GM feels it'll add more mystery and drama if he rolls them, then that's fine.


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Secret Checks:

Sansaárë Perception for Search: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Tannakin Perception for Search: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Nyswyn Perception to Search: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Bravely and with purpose our young heroes descend down into the basement of the Fishery. The creaking of the wooden stairs set their teeth on edge. The dampness begins to crawl on their exposed skin. The stale and fish smelling air reaches out to greet them.

Sansaárë and Tannakin take the lead entering the basement proper. Leo decides to place his Mage Armor spell into effect and the Witch eliminates the darkness with his Dancing Lights spell. Nyswyn creeps along beside him, her eyes darting into the corners and crevices looking for anything eating fish.

The shelves along the walls on the north and south sides of the room are piled high with general supplies that belong to the fishery.

Tannakin:
Heroes who investigate the hole in the wall on the east side of the room find piles of loose rock and dirt on the inside of the room. It looks like something has broken open the wall from the other side!

A strange chittering comes from the hole in the wall. Suddenly, a massive rat the size of a dog emerges from the darkness—and it isn’t alone! The giant rats rush toward you, their huge teeth snapping.

Initiative!:

Sansaárë Perception : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Tannakin Perception : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Nyswyn Perception : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Leo Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Giant Rats Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Everyone goes before the Giant Rats...lol! Have fun! Any questions just ask. Each of you have 3 Actions (◆= 1 Action ◆◆= 2 Action Activity ◆◆◆= 3 Action Activity ◇= Free Action ↺= Reaction


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin looks horrified. "Rats! I wanted to fight monsters."

She calls out, "Ness... got any humane trap ideas?"

acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

She flips herself deftly over the barrel and scrambles into a potential flanking position with Airi.

Would that be one action or two, Dorian?

Then, she decides to use One For All!

Tann calls out to Airi, "I hope we find another way to manage the mangy scruffy ruffians, but if you have to do it, do it clean... I'll yell 'RATS' if I see an opening!"

Aid: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Aid for Airi, Panache for me! I think that means you get +1 to a roll when you want (my "reaction" is yours to deploy!).


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

@Tannakin did you just sneak that Aid Diplomacy roll in there for One for All or did I not see it? Probably the latter!

I am going to take liberties with Sansaárë for her first Round for an Example.

Sansaárë watches with delight! horror as the giant rats begins to swarm out of the darkness!
The Rogue watches Tannakin daringly acrobatics through and over the lead rat, offering a Flanking opportunity!
Why thank ya, Tann! Still got a bit of something on your chin though.

The rogue laughs as she (◆) Strides into the offered Flank with Tannakin.

Airi (already holding her shortsword) then decides to try a little trick she learned recently.
Overextending Feint

(◆) Deception(Cha)(T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

The Rogue than giggles a bit as she thrusts her shortsword at the disgusting giant rat!
(◆)Melee(T) Shortsword, flank, sneak attack, Tannakin: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 = 201d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + (5) = 13 P Traits Agile, Finesse, Versatile S

Notice the (◆) symbols? Keeps Actions neat and easy to find.

I do not expect you to url each spell or ability but...we are all learning...lol.

Please let me know if I am helping or making it worse....;(


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts
Tannakin Skinker wrote:

She calls out, "Ness... got any humane trap ideas?"

(◇)"Not traps. Not sure words will help, here. Let me think."

(◆) Ness raised her wooden shield in her off hand, as some semblance of protection against rat bites from their huge snapping teeth. (AC is 17 now)

(◆) She steadily moved forward 10ft (half speed), raised shield in off hand and staff in true hand, hoping to recall what manner of rat creatures they are - since they appeared larger than normal - in order to guide/aid her friends.

(◆) Recall Knowledge - Animal (Nature): DC 13: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Post edited.


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2
Dorian 'Grey' wrote:
Notice the (◆) symbols? Keeps Actions neat and easy to find.

Sadly I do not have little diamonds on my key pad, I will try to remember to copy and paste them.

Seeing the rats, Leo is both relieved and confused. They were rats. But normal rats were small, these rats were not. But they were still smaller to him if he had still been a sprite and the rats were normal. Shaking his head at the confusion, he turned to Nyswyn, reiterating Tannankin's question. "Doest thou?" Not willing to do nothing, he moved (◆) forward rapping the ground with the end of his staff, to get the lead rats attention, he waived his hand and glared at the first rat, giving it the evil eye.

(◆) Sustaining A Spell (Dancing Lights), (◆) move, (◆) Evil Eye save Will: 17 can he give a second rat the evil eye in the next round using his second focus point?


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Evil Eye does not cost a Focus point. Only (◆) 1 Action per round to keep it going. And I don't have those symbols either. I copy/paste...lol.

With Ness' permission we will continue as but in the future, I will be more cognitive of her abilities and others.

This is what happened in the blink of an eye. Well, if the blink took 6 seconds.

Ness Strides further into the cellar, raising her Shield high at the sight of these vicious vermin! She does Recall something about these big rats too.
CRIT sucess!

Recall Knowledge - Animal (Nature): DC 13:
Giant rats are enormous versions of the common vermin. They are typically found in abundant numbers, but since they cannot flt in the nooks where mundane rats typically hide, they are much easier to locate and exterminate. They mostly live in sewers where they can scavenge from the streets above, but some families of giant rats live in more remote locations, such as dank caves or forests and hills. Rats are incredibly adept survivors and can be found nearly anywhere in the world, though they tend to favor temperate or warm climates as opposed to cold regions.

Although its bite alone is not lethal except to the very young or very old, the giant rat carries the filth fever common to rodents around the world—a pestilence more than capable of ravaging rural communities.

Recall Knowledge - Animal (Nature): DC 23:
Giant Rat
Creature -1
NSmallAnimal
Source Bestiary pg. 276
Perception +5; low-light vision, scent (imprecise) 30 feet
Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +2 (+4 to Climb or Swim), Stealth +5
Str +1, Dex +3, Con +2, Int -4, Wis +1, Cha -3
AC 15; Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +3
HP 8
Speed 30 feet, climb 10 feet
Melee jaws +7 [+3/-1] (agile, finesse), Damage 1d6+1 piercing plus filth fever
Filth Fever (disease) The sickened and unconscious conditions from filth fever don’t improve on their own until the disease is cured. Saving Throw DC 14 Fortitude; Stage 1 carrier with no ill effect (1d4 hours), Stage 2 sickened 1 (1 day), Stage 3 sickened 1 and slowed 1 (1 day), Stage 4 unconscious (1 day), Stage 5 dead

Leo Strides forward (concentrating on his Dancing Lights), tap, tap, tapping, tapping his staff noisily upon the rubble-strewn flooring. The Witch then gives the Rat a stink eye!
Rat Will save DC 17: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 CRIT Fail! The target is frightened 2.
A small puddle forms underneath the Rat!

Sansaárë also smirks at the approaching giant rats, as she Strides forward to face-off with the vermin! Thankfully, Tannakin does a fancy flip over to a Flanking position for the rogue! She even offers advice. Airi Feints one way and Strikes the other!
Tumble Through success! Bon Mot success!
Feint Success! Strike Hit!

The Frightened giant rat goes down with the thrust (and quite a bit of assistance) of the short sword!

There seem to be 3 more giant rats which do not seem overly concerned about the 4th....

(◆) 1 Action left to Tannakin?


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin uses her last ◆ to stick her torch somewhere somewhat safe in the environment, wedging it in a crack or something...


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

Watching as the ladies sort out if they should talk or fight, Leo concentrates on moving the lights around. (◆) In that moment realizing how much mental energy he was wasting doing the light. He clearly missing his Luminous Sprite body. Seeing the ladies kill the first rat, Leo realized there would be no conversation with the rats.

Looking around he sees the broken pieces of the old fish barrel, Reaching out with his hand and his mind, he waives a piece of the broken wood, "ဦးနှောက်မြှား" Saying the fey words of power he sends it flying at the right hand rat. (◆◆)

Sustaining A Spell (Dancing Lights), (◆) Telekinetic Projectile Damage: B (◆◆)
projectile: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 for damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts

Upon reflection on what kind of rodents these were, Ness remembered something which called for a warning to her friends, (◇)"Don't let them bite you. They carry filth fever which can sicken you and worse."


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

@Leo while I appreciate your enthusiasm, it will be the Rats turn once I get to computer...lol. We can use your post as practice and you may do again after.

@Tannakin yes it would just be an (◆)Interact Action to place Torch into a sconce, crevice, or you can drop as Free Action and still have 1 Action if want?

@Ness same but we can keep yours if you want...lol! Also, you can cast with your Shield so you could (◆) Raise Shield Action instead?

Rats incoming....


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

The remaining 3 giant rats seem to be a bit preoccupied with the new buffet presented to them to notice that this new buffet is fighting back!

The first giant rat (has an unfortunate overbite) decides to get closer to random since rats are not known to be tactical 1-2=Airi 3-4=Tannakin 5=Ness 6=Leo: 1d6 ⇒ 2 Airi!
The giant rat decides to bite away at the closest buffet option!
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 231d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 piercing, agile
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 4 = 201d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 piercing, agile
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 8 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 8 = 111d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 piercing, agile
2 Hits! 10 damage and 2 Fort DC 14 saves please!

The second giant rat (seems to be experiencing an involuntary eye twitch) also seems to be please d about this yummy buffet!
random since rats are not known to be tactical 1-2=Airi 3-4=Tannakin 5=Ness 6=Leo: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Ol' Twitchy Eye goes for...Tannakin!
The giant rat (eye twitching) (◆) Strides forward to get a better biting opportunity at Tannakin!
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 81d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 piercing, agile
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 4 = 231d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 piercing, agile
CRIT! 4 damage and 1 Fort DC 14 save please!

The third giant rat (doesn't seem to be suffering any ill physical ailments) decides to join in on the buffet!
random since rats are not known to be tactical 1-2=Airi 3-4=Tannakin 5=Ness 6=Leo: 1d6 ⇒ 1
The normal giant rat goes for...Airi!
The giant rat (normal) (◆) Strides forward to get a better biting opportunity at Airi!
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 121d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 piercing, agile
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 7 - 4 = 161d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 piercing, agile
Fortunately, being normal seems to be detrimental!
Rats!, the normal giant rat thinks!
Misses!

PCs are up for Round 2

Please let me know if I am forgetting something? I am a bit new DMing on this platform.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin blinks down at the giant rat hanging from her forearm.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

The rat's crusty yellow teeth hurt, but she's not too worried. Trying to impress her druid friend with her devotion to the cause, she grits her own teeth (less crusty) and says, "I dunno, Ness. She's kinda cute with that twitch she's got. I'm gonna catch her so we can be friends."

◆ Grapple! Athletics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

◆◆ Removes rope from her backpack in preparation for improvised rat leash.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

Watching as the ladies sort out if they should talk or fight, Leo concentrates on moving the lights around. (◆) In that moment realizing how much mental energy he was wasting doing the light. He clearly missing his Luminous Sprite body. Seeing the ladies kill the first rat, Leo realized there would be no conversation with the rats.

Looking around he sees the broken pieces of the old fish barrel, Reaching out with his hand and his mind, he waives a piece of the broken wood, "ဦးနှောက်မြှား" Saying the fey words of power he sends it flying at the right hand rat. (◆◆)

Sustaining A Spell (Dancing Lights), (◆) Telekinetic Projectile Damage: B (◆◆)
projectile: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 for damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

You guys are doing great! There are many options for Actions and (usually) enough Actions to do them. I will want for Airi and Ness for my next post.


F Human(1/2 elf) Rogue (Ruffian) 1 HP 18/18; AC(T) 18 ,Fort(T) [+5],Ref(E) [+7],Will(E) [+5]| Perception(E)+5 Low-light vision| Speed: 25 ft Exploration Mode: Search

fort DC14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

fort DC14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Wow!!! That really hurt! I will get you back

Aira looks at Tann across the rat and says.

You still have something on your chin.

:)

Airi frowns at the giant rat with her arm in its mouth! She then decides to try her little trick she used recently.
Feint

(◆) Deception(Cha)(T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Nope so not Flat foot and no sneak attack

The Rogue than giggles a bit as she thrusts her shortsword at the disgusting giant rat not named Ol' One Eye!
(◆)Melee(T) Shortsword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 191d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 P Traits Agile, Finesse, Versatile S

She Strikes again!
(◆)Melee(T) Shortsword: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 7 - 4 = 211d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 P Traits Agile, Finesse, Versatile S

She winks at Tannakin.
I left you those two!

Thinking I killed it. The Rat to my right.


Female Dwarf (Strong-Blooded) Druid (of the Leaf Order) 1| HP 20/20; AC 15/17 with raised shield| F:+5 , R:+4, W+9| Perception +6; Darkvision| Speed: 20 f|1 berry remaining, 2/2 Focus Pts

Still, with shield raised in her off hand and staff in true hand, Ness acknowledged Tann's talk of making the rat a pet, nodding in approval. Least we can save one. I wish I could have spoken with them first.

(◆◆) Drawing upon the primal energy around her (cooler waves of energy, coming from the water beyond the warehouse) and speaking the words of power, Ness stretched a fingertip (holding her staff) and sent an icy ray toward rat #3. (Cantrip: Ray of Frost)

Spell attack with icy ray on Rat #3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Cold dmg: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 x2= 10

(Critical Success: The target takes double damage and takes a –10-foot status penalty to its Speeds for 1 round.)

(◆) She then moved ten feet away away from the rat fray to stand behind Airi; Leo's light orb bobbing near her shoulder.


Male Teifling Welcome players! Roll20 Map

Well done everyone! I will wrap up combat in a bit once get to computer.

EDIT still got Ol' Twitchy Eye to deal with....

Round 2

Each of our two Heroes that have recently received giant rat bites seem to fight off any ill effects!
All passed saves!

With a fancy flourish of a short sword, a broken piece of pottery, a ray as frosty as my 7th grade math teacher; Sansaárë, Leo and Ness eliminate 2 of the 3 remaining giant rats!

Tannakin decides to hug and squeeze and make Ol' Twitchy Eye her bestest friend forever!
Grapple Success!

The witty swashbuckler then digs in her pack, fishing out some rope with a sly grin.

Ol' Twitchy Eye (just Twitchy to his friends) doesn't ever seem to remember being in such a loving embrace. Even his own mother didn't get this close. Twitchy begins squirming!
(◆) Escape Unarmed DC 14: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Escape
Free from Grapple!

Most likely because Twitchy could bite her!
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 7 - 4 = 111d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 piercing, agile
Miss!

Yummy!
(◆)Melee Strike jaws vs AC 18: 1d20 + 7 - 8 ⇒ (18) + 7 - 8 = 171d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 piercing, agile
Miss!

Anything that has the Attack Trait causes your Multiple Attack Penalty (MAP) to increase.

Players are up for Round 3! Ol' Twitchy Eye is free and looking a bit confused by Tann's actractions...lol.


swash | .5lf lev. 3| 33/41 | ac 20 | per 7 | f 8 r 11 w 7| hero points 2

Tannakin 'rassles the rat once again, hoping to save at least one beast!

Grapple! ◆: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

"HOLD STILL, m'ratty beauty!"

She calls Airi:

"Hey, stop stabbing our pet's family and help me out here! Grab this rope and help me tie up Ol' Twitchy Eye... ya know, do one of those thief's knots you know!"

◆ One For All aid Airi to use Thievery to tie up Ol' Twitch, Diplo to Aid: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

...worth a try.

Can't put my eyes on what kind of action it is to tie someone/someanimal up, but I'll roll Thievery just in case it's one action and I score!

Leash the Twitch: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

"STOP SQUIRMING you'll like us!"


Mode: exploration: Male Sprite witch 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 (M.A.) | F+9/R+8/W+8 | Class DC 19 | Perc + 6 | focus points 2/2 | hero points 3 | Spells: 1st lvl: 3/3, 2nd lvl: 2/2

Realizing that Tannakin was attempting to get Sansaárë to help her capture the last rat for Nyswyn, Leo moved the dancing lights closer (◆) so the ladies could see what they were doing and hopefully distract the rat. Raising an eyebrow as Ambrose runs (◆) between his legs and starts to bark at the rat, obviously worried about Tann, who had given him sausage. Quickly thinking about the best way to help with his limited repertoire he decides to use his evil eye again, hoping to limit the rats struggling. Bending over he gestures at the rat while giving it his best 'evil eye.' (◆) Seeing that Ambrose was getting underfoot, Leo commanded, in Sylvan for him to stay back. "အမဲရောင် မင်းလမ်းကို ပြန်လာပါ။" (◆)

Three actions: (◆) Sustaining A Spell (Dancing Lights), (◆) Evil Eye Will save: 17, (◆) Command Ambrose. Also Ambrose's Familiar abilities are smell and Independent, which provides one action without command, Ambrose of his own volition moves forward using the one action. (◆) If/when Leo commands Ambros, does Ambrose get one or two more actions?


F Human(1/2 elf) Rogue (Ruffian) 1 HP 18/18; AC(T) 18 ,Fort(T) [+5],Ref(E) [+7],Will(E) [+5]| Perception(E)+5 Low-light vision| Speed: 25 ft Exploration Mode: Search

Sansaárë winks at Tannakin, as she (◆) takes the rope from her.
Is the cheese on your chin helping?

The rogue then attempts to tie up Twitchy.
(◆◆) Thievery(Dex)(T) : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

1 to 50 of 1,328 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Menace in Otari All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.