[SFS] 1-04. Cries from the Drift

Game Master therealthom

A Starfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 1-4.
A missing Starfinder ship's distress signal would have gone unnoticed were it not for a passerby detecting it and selling the information to the Society. The PCs are to travel to the crippled starship, and once aboard, reach the bridge in order to piece together the tragic story of the vessel's lost crew. Only by unraveling the mysteries of the drifting starship can the PCs hope to uncover information critical to the Exo-Guardians future operations.
Content in Cries From the Drift also contributes to the ongoing goals of the Exo-Guardians faction.
Scenario includes spaceship combat.


1 to 50 of 487 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Handouts: At Google Docs

Each of you has been summoned to a mission briefing by Zigvigix, the leader of the Exo-Guardian faction.

Please phantom dot this thread. This post is just a placeholder to help create the campaign on the boards. I'll provide a better kick-off post once we're all squared away.

RPG Superstar Season 9

Phantom dot...


Handouts: At Google Docs

You find yourselves summoned to Downlow for a mission briefing by Zigvigix, head of the Exo-Guardian faction. Downlow is the one of the safer neighborhoods in the Spike; it is an active thriving warren of factories, drydocks, and workshops. That activity is reflected at the appointed address, a warehouse undergoing renovation.

Among the flurry of workers, the party can easily pick each other out. Weapons, armor, gear, or general bearing all distinguish you from the laborers.

Despite the construction, the warehouse is recognizable to Hai, Patterson, and Alazandre. They've been here before, working for the shirren who's summoned you all. With varying degrees of enthusiasm, they lead the others deeper into the structure, following a wild churning coil of sound.

The sound originates from an augmented host shirren who watches a bustling crew move office equipment from several large pallets into a large warehouse, while other workers weld scrap metal to gaps in the warehouse’s walls. The shirren occasionally directs a crew member and makes a note on a datapad. The shirren, Zigvigix wears a set of shoulder speakers that blast out sugarpop music from the band Strawberry Machine Cake. They bounce in place along to the music until they notice their new guests and turns to telepathically project a greeting.

{“Welcome back friends Kai, Alazandre, and Patterson! Isn’t this song the best? I’ve been playing it on loop for hours!”} Behind the excited shirren, several grizzled-looking station workers, each carrying a side of a heavy-looking holotable, roll their eyes.

The shirren doesn't waste time, but moves right into their briefing. {“Thanks for coming—I hope you’ll understand if I keep this brief; we’ve got a lot of work to do to get our new headquarters up and running, and you are on a short timetable. A ysoki salvage barge named the Clutter Collector, captained by a ysoki named Winks, picked up a distress-beacon transmission in the Drift. Winks didn’t have time to check it out, but she sold the data to the Society when she reached Absalom Station. How nice of her!

“Well, it turns out that this beacon came from the Struggle’s Scholar, a kasathan ship that…” Zigvigix pauses for effect as their antennae wiggle excitedly. “…escaped from Sangoro’s Bulwark! If you don’t know, the Bulwark was the old base of operations for the Exo-Guardians. Now, First Seeker Luwazi wisely grounded us from investigating the Bulwark after all contact was lost with it shortly after the Scoured Stars incident, but we can’t pass up this opportunity to learn what happened there. We might even be able to find the coordinates to our missing headquarters. Wouldn’t it be joyous to have a large fortress to play loud music in?!”

Zigvigix hands over a datapad. “Here are the coordinates of the distress signal. It is unlikely any of the crew survived, or they’d be here by now. So be on the lookout for bodies. Since the crew is mostly kasathas, it would mean a lot to their extended families if you could bring back their remains or keepsakes to the Idari! Otherwise, salvage any data you can—especially the ship’s log—as it could tell us what happened to Sangoro’s Bulwark. This datapad also holds a one-time-us decrypter that will let you decode the Exo-Guardians ciphers used on the distress signal. Good luck!”}

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih enters into the space where Zigvigix is located. He is an android and as such has a clearly visible circuits shining with blue light under his skin. His crest of green hair is contrasting with a blueish color of his skin and a light glow that his veins make.

While hearing the music you may hear him speak: "Yeah, that is loud music. Well beyond 120 DB. It's like the sound of a chainsaw..."

But less entertaining if you ask me - he adds in his thought.

You can see him wearing sturdy clothing marked with grease stains, in his pockets you can see various tools that could be useful in tinkering with things. On his back is laser rifle that he carries almost everywhere.

He listens carefully, looking at station workers and Shirren.

"Do we know anything about this Struggle's Scholar? Who was onboard? Why they were there? Did the Ysoki, Winks you called her? Did she have a look at the ship? Scanned it maybe?"

Hellih waits for Zigvigix to answer his bulk of questions. He tries to recall anything that he could have heard or read on Sangoro’s Bulwark.

Culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Handouts: At Google Docs

Zigvigix continues a gentle up-down motion in time to the music while they answer. {Struggle's Scholar is a kasathan starship that was undertaking a short mission to Sangoro’s Bulwark around the same time the signals stopped coming in. We assumed the ship was lost along with the Bulwark, but this signal proves otherwise—thrilling! I do not think any of the crew could have survived this long, though—sad! Still, the ship is compact, with only ten or so internal compartments, so once you find it, it shouldn’t take long to search.}

{Winks only picked up the beacon signal and investigated just enough to triangulate the beacon's location. She never saw the Scholar. This is one reason we must hurry to find the beacon. The Drift is not stable. If too much time passes the beacon's position may be lost. -- Urgent!}

{You will have your choice of ship. The datapad shows two available ships fueled and ready for departure, a Pegasus and a Drake. Because the hazards are unknown, I can not advise you on which will be more advantageous for this mission.}


Handouts: At Google Docs

Information about the Exo-Guardians and Sangoro’s Bulwark. You may open any spoiler below whose DC is less than or equal to the result of a diplomacy check.

Diplomacy 5:
A vesk named Sangoro founded the Exo-Guardians, which is an especially unusual fact, given the long hostilities between
the Veskarium and the Pact Worlds. Many Starfinders initially did not trust him, even after he provided the Society with a huge fortress on a remote planet to operate out of. Sangoro later dedicated himself and his followers to protecting the Society from external threats, forming the Exo-Guardians faction within the Starfinder Society.

Diplomacy 10:
The fortress Sangoro bequeathed to the Starfinder Society was the only structure on the planet. It was a massive edifice left by some forgotten race, with extensive underground tunnels and storage vaults. The Exo-Guardians kept a large stockpile of equipment within the Bulwark, letting field agents on missions in the Vast access necessary items without traveling back to Absalom Station.

Because of the importance of these resources, the exact coordinates of Sangoro’s Bulwark were kept from most Starfinders, and ships traveled to the location only by using encrypted flight plans.

Diplomacy 15:
Shortly after the Scoured Stars incident led to the disappearance of most Starfinder Society field agents and leadership, an unknown force overwhelmed Sangoro’s Bulwark, and—until now—there have been no survivors or distress calls. With this attack, the Society’s data archives lost all information on the exact location of Sangoro’s Bulwark, with even nominated First Seeker Luwazi Elsebo bereft of such knowledge. Only the Society’s amalgam digital consciousness, Guidance, might know the location, but it has ignored all requests to provide the data.

Diplomacy 20:
Some rumors from the few Starfinders who visited the Bulwark before the fall report that the Drift and Material Plane space surrounding the area was prone to strange events. Exactly how these dangers manifest varies by each rumor, but it appears the space surrounding the Bulwark’s home system is prone to odd interplanar abnormalities. Starships are advised to carry powerful scanners to identify potential stellar hazards and bleeding between the planes.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Oh good, diplomacy check :P

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

And obviously I rolled 20. That is fine

You can notice Hellih looks for information on his datapad and suddenly shares with the agents:

"Sangoro was a Vesk who was the person behind creating Exo-Guardians with a mission to protect the Starfinder Society. The location the fortress called Sangoro's Bulwark was unknown and shared only on a need-to-know basis. The organization adopted an old complex of unknown origin with a set of underground tunnels and vault being full of weapon and equipment as its fortress."

"After the Scoured Stars incident some force overwhelmed Songor's Bulwark. Until now there were no survivors or distress calls. Apparently, there is no one who knows where that fortress is. Some believe that Guidance may know the location but is and responding to questions about it."

Whenever I play I will try to share what I learned, but feel free to read the sections that I passed the skill for.

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

"Heya Ziggy! Glad you like the music. Looks like the new HQ is coming along well, too."

Kai is a medium-sized human with slicked back dark hair, pointed cheekbones, and a shifty look. Other than his smile and greeting to Zigvigix, he has been mostly reserved and quiet. He definitely appears more at home with computers and technology than with other sophonts.

"So, it seems like we'll probably need the Pegasus' sensors to get a deep scan of the ship. Unless you guys think there'll be combat, that's my vote. Good scanners can save us a lot of time and effort, and I've got some custom routines that can improve that a bit as well."

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

Another compactly built human joins the group, this one in brightly colored freebooter armor. He has a ready smile for the host Shirren, but winces at the noise level, shaking his head. Telepaths. "GOOD--ah, good to see you, Zig. Let's have a Pegasus this time. I had bad luck with a Drake the last time out. By the way, I'm Jim Patterson the Sixty-Second, give or take."

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

A lanky, eleven-foot tall humanoid with ashen skin and night-black eyes spots the gathering Starfinder group over the heads of the surrounding laborers. Though most of her gear seems standard issue for the Society (albiet elongated to suit her stretched frame), the assault rifle strapped to her back is plated with green alloys clearly of Azlanti design. She winces at the music's volume, activating her armor's environmental protections in an effort to stifle the noise.

"With all due respect, commander, my ears are adapted to life in the Diasporan vacuum, where there is considerably less ambient sound. Any chance we could enjoy the song at a more... nuanced volume?"

She turns to the rest of the group. "My name is Hermena, and I'm looking forward to our upcoming jaunt into the Drift. Densely populated worlds make me anxious, so the sooner we head out the better as far as I'm concerned." She nods at Kai and Patterson, "I agree that the Pegasus will be better equipped for reconnaissance, but I might reconsider if we're searching a warship. What was Struggle's Scholar designed to do? You mentioned it's compact, but do we know anything about its former crew, or what kind of missions they took on? If they are kasathans, are there any particular cultural taboos we should know in order to 'correctly' acquire the remains of the deceased?"

Wayfinders

male Human Xenoarchaeologist Technomancer/2 [init: 2; perc: 0] [HP: 14/14; Sta: 6/12; RP: 4/4] [EAC: 15; KAC: 16] [saves: 1/2/3] [pistol used: 0/9] [Starstone Compass: 1/1]

"Nice to see the place is coming around Ziggy. Although it pleases me that you are enjoying the recording we secured, I think playing the same song over and over diminishes the overall flow of the disc, especially to those who haven't heard it yet."

After Ziggy briefs us...

"Should we look into bringing the Struggle's Scholar online so we could bring it to Sangoro’s Bulwark, if not back here to the station?"


Handouts: At Google Docs
Kai Mixti wrote:

"Heya Ziggy! Glad you like the music. Looks like the new HQ is coming along well, too."

...

{Friend Kai. Of all the sugar pop bands, Strawberry Machine Cake is my absolute favorite."

Hermena wrote:

...

"With all due respect, commander, my ears are adapted to life in the Diasporan vacuum, where there is considerably less ambient sound. Any chance we could enjoy the song at a more... nuanced volume?"

...

The volume immediately reduces itself without any outward effort on the shirren's part.

{Of course new friend Hermena. I apologize for not considering your sensitivities. -- Contrite}

Alzandre Dufau wrote:

"Nice to see the place is coming around Ziggy. Although it pleases me that you are enjoying the recording we secured, I think playing the same song over and over diminishes the overall flow of the disc, especially to those who haven't heard it yet."

...

{Maybe you are right, friend Alzandre. So many good songs. I must share them all. -- Resplendent}

The song cuts off to be replaced with something that sounds like a trombone blowing into a diggery-doo, the intro to 'Red Rubber Sun'.


Handouts: At Google Docs
Patterson LXII wrote:
Another compactly built human joins the group, this one in brightly colored freebooter armor. He has a ready smile for the host Shirren, but winces at the noise level, shaking his head. Telepaths. "GOOD--ah, good to see you, Zig. Let's have a Pegasus this time. I had bad luck with a Drake the last time out. By the way, I'm Jim Patterson the Sixty-Second, give or take."

" With you and Kai in agreement, a Pegasus you shall have Patterson-66! Pilots always favor the Pegasus."

Hermena wrote:

...

She turns to the rest of the group. "My name is Hermena, and I'm looking forward to our upcoming jaunt into the Drift. Densely populated worlds make me anxious, so the sooner we head out the better as far as I'm concerned." She nods at Kai and Patterson, "I agree that the Pegasus will be better equipped for reconnaissance, but I might reconsider if we're searching a warship. What was Struggle's Scholar designed to do? You mentioned it's compact, but do we know anything about its former crew, or what kind of missions they took on? If they are kasathans, are there any particular cultural taboos we should know in order to 'correctly' acquire the remains of the deceased?"

Zigivix takes the time to physically articulate in respect to Hermena's hearing, "Struggle's Scholar was just a small hauler on a minor supply run. I will have a dossier on the crew and ship sent to you. I'm no expert on kasathan death rituals, but I know its important that their families have something to remember them by. Treat their remains and belongings with respect. -- Somber."

Alzandre Dufau wrote:

...

"Should we look into bringing the Struggle's Scholar online so we could bring it to Sangoro’s Bulwark, if not back here to the station?"

{Delightful! To think that the ship might be saved, then there would be hope for the crew. If you can recover the ship, by all means return her triumphant. But it has been too long since we lost Sangoro's Bulwark, to have much real hope of that. We must console ourselves with recovery of what data and remains that we can. -- Sad.}

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

Hermena grins, "Excellent, then it sounds like we have a plan. I've got some new toys that I recently 'liberated' from an Azlanti crew; they were getting a bit too involved in the management of a Pact Worlds research colony out on Nakondis. With Hellih's help I could patch it onto the Pegasus to help diversify our weapon systems in case we meet anything unfriendly in the Drift."

"Speaking of which, I've got one last question, commander. You said the Drift is unstable, but do we have any information that might offer insight into what we'll encounter near the distress beacon? The Drift is pretty much no-man's land, and if we run into hostiles the more we know about how to defeat them, the better."

My Aeon Caster Launcher Upgrade boon (3d4 damage) can replace any of the light laser cannons (2d4 damage) on the Pegasus; the coilgun on the turret is still the strongest weapon we'll have, so we need to put the new weapon in the forward, port, or starboard firing arc. Do we have a preference for which arc should have the aeon caster launcher?

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

I'm in favor of the forward arc. Usually easier to ensure a target in sight than either of the sides. Usually.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih looks at the schematics and turns to Hermena:
"Sure, I should be able to replace the built-in laser with this Aeon Caster Launcher. I can get to work straight away."


Handouts: At Google Docs

"I am sorry, Hermena. I don't know any more about the beacon or it's surrounding volume than I've told you. Winks never laid eyes on it. If that is all, good luck to you. -- Hopeful!"

Starfinder briefings famous for their brevity and lack of helpful information. Will still try to answer anymore questions you may have.

The Aeon Caster boon is a pretty nice one.
***

Shortly after the briefing two files are sent to the datapad. One is a layout for the Struggle's Scholar class of ships. The other is a list of the kasathan crewmembers.

WHo's taking custody of Ziggy's datapad? Hellih?

I'll get ship stats up in a day or two along with links to some pretty good ship combat note cards. Meantime you can slot boons and do any shopping you'd like. If you RP shopping, please summarize it in the OOC thread too.

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

"Can you do that while we're in the Drift? The sooner we leave, the better."

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih picks up Ziggy's datapad and glances through the data. He plansto share the files to agents datapads if they have any.

"I will bring this datapad back Ziggy, after the mission."

He turns to Patterson LXII and looks at him with his green eyes
"Sure I can, the worst case we get into a fight without a forward arc laser. But I am fine in taking that risk. Most of my parts can be replaced, how about your young Patterson 62?"

Once again he looks at the schematics:

"I will install it while you do the shopping. I came prepared for this briefing and then in the Drift, I will calibrate it better. Statisticly speaking it is the safest approach."

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

"I can help you get it integrated into the ship's firing controls. I have a weapons calibration routine I wrote a while back that should make the process easier."

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

Hermena fidgets with a credstick, which looks comically small in her long, spidery hands. "No shopping for me, I haven't got much left and I'm saving my funds to help with the rebuilding effort back on Nakondis. Besides, a market as crowded as this one will put me on edge. Let's get the aeon caster up and running, then off to the Drift."

I second adding the Aeon Caster to the front arc. I only have 2 boons, and they're both already slotted for this adventure.


Handouts: At Google Docs
Hellih/HK wrote:

Hellih picks up Ziggy's datapad and glances through the data. He plansto share the files to agents datapads if they have any.

"I will bring this datapad back Ziggy, after the mission."

...

{I certainly hope so, new friend Hellih/HK.}

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

With hearing that circuits on the right side of Hellihs head change it's color into red. With a bit more distorted voice you can hear words:

"My dear Ziggy, he is not HK ... I am!"

The right eye change it's color to red as well which begins scanning the room

"I certainly hope that there will be monsters on that ship... it's been so long since I shot someone... "

With that the glowing ends, circuits come back to regular blue colors, and Hellih speaks.

"Sorry for that. I extracted my aiming implant from some old fighting droid that I found on a junkyard. He is quite intense, one could say mad even. But the aiming algorithm is very accurate."

With that, he shakes Ziggys hand and heads toward landing bay, to begin work.

Wayfinders

Male N vesk xenoseeker soldier 1 | SP 8/8 HP 13/13 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +6 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

A large Vesk with a dosko strapped to his back rushes in. "G'day! Sorry, mates, a bit o' confusion wit' the directions!"
He catches the end of the briefing and nods. "I'm always a fan oi' meetin' new creatures! Can't make friend without meetin' new people, eh?"


Handouts: At Google Docs

{Excellent, the full team is here now. If you have any more questions, the datapad has a direct link to my personal comm; this mission is that important. The link cease functioning once you depart Pact World space.

Good luck, Starfinders! May you return joyously succesful.}

If you come up with any more questions before you leave, you can use the datapad to pose them. Meanwhile, I'll roll us into the next bit which gives you a bit of downtime and a chance for introductions and a little RP. We'll retcon any questions you have for Ziggy as being posed while the ships was being modified.

Hermena, Kai, and Hillih work to install Hermena's Aeon tech weapon on board your ship. In reasonably short order the ship is prepared for departure.

You boost out of Absalom station in company with another Starfinder ship, bulk freighter Promise of the Future. Surprisingly, both ships stay together after the transition into the Drift and track nearly paralel courses.

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

Are we able to communicate with the freighter?

Wayfinders

Male N vesk xenoseeker soldier 1 | SP 8/8 HP 13/13 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +6 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

Steev' takes time to acquaint himself with the guns onboard. He runs a few diagnostics and sets the seat to his height satisfaction.

Otherwise he will tell anyone who will listen about all the wondrous life forms that exist in the universe. Crikey, they're great!


Handouts: At Google Docs
Patterson LXII wrote:
Are we able to communicate with the freighter?

Indeed you are.

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

"If anyone has anything they want to say to the freighter, I have them on a laser whisker. "

Kai is content to simply manage the computer systems for now. It's not like he signed up on this gig to talk to people. That was for others.

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

"Ah, back in the great beyond at last." Hermena sighs as the crew pulls into the Drift. "Honestly it's no wonder humans and vesk and all the other populous species have been fighting each other since the dawn of time. Growing and living and dying crammed into spaces that densely packed would make me ready to kill the next person who looked at me funny, just to free up some more oxygen for everyone else."

"Speaking of crammed, thanks for opening up the seating in the turret, Hellih. I can fit in human-sized gunner platforms if I need to, but the extra leg space makes it much more bearable. By the way, that aiming program - HK, you called it? Is there any concern that it's ideas may be working their way into the rest of your decision... circuits, I guess? I'm not sure how androids 'change their minds.'"

Hermena picks Steev's brain about some of the species he's encountered near Azlanti space, if he's ever traveled out that far. She also walks him through her favorite features of the Aeon Caster, recounting her prior dogfight with the Azlanti craft from which she salvaged the weapon.

When she realizes Promise of the Future is sharing their flight path, she frowns. "One of my favorite things about the Drift is that it's too big and too ephemeral for anyone to share the exact same path, that is unless they go out of their way to do so. Did the commander mention another team joining us on this venture? Does anyone know that ship? If not, Kai should scan it and see what we can learn about its functions. We should also hail their captain and ask about their mission, make sure they aren't piggybacking on our flight path so they can try to steal our quarry."

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

"Scanning initiated."

Kai was actually a little miffed that someone else had to spell it out for him. His first impulse should have been to scan all nearby vessels.

computers: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26


Handouts: At Google Docs

The scan doesn't reveal anything terribly out of the ordinary. Promise is a fairly standard bulk freighter with a little extra power and thrusters. She's travelling heavy. It looks like four of her cargo bays have been flooded and the power distribution includes some kind of light machinery in those bays.

Otherwise she's a bog-standard freighter.

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

"Here, Steev--what have you been up to since our Commencement? I've spent some time on Akiton, running down a fugitive from the Society, and then went out on a first contact mission."

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih takes a look at Hermena sitting in the gunner chair and makes some last amendments to the leg space to increase the room for the unnatural sarcesian body. While working he says

"Look how engineers for ships and most other vehicles are not thinking about other races. It could have been solved by adjustable elements in a few places. It's just like when Androids were designed. Humans made them to look like them: two hands, two legs, one head. No new design, no creativity in construction. The universe moves forward yet we copy the same ideas over and over."

Hearing that he wandered off with his thoughts Hellih goes silent. Listening to the question about HK he comments

"A science study proved that every thought or action is based on your past experience, opinions vocalized by others that source trust and additional environmental elements. Opinions of others were estimated as having 30% impact on the decision taken. Does it answer your question?"

Seeing bafflement on Hermena face he corrects himself:
"Wait, wait, wait. It is not what you asked, it was a standard question made by living beings showing a concern and/or worry. My software tells me that I should pat you at the back and say: there is nothing for you to worry about."

Hellih smug walks to Hermena pats her on her shoulder and says:
"There is nothing for you to worry about."

With that, he walks to listen to stories told by Steev.

Dataphiles

Outlaw Hacker 1 | SP: 6/6, HP: 10/10, RP:3/4 | EAC: 14, KAC: 15 | F: +0, R: +5, W: +2 | darkvision 60', perc: +4, init +4

"Freighter looks to be of standard construction. Some of the chambers appear to be flooded. Might be an aquatic race over there."

Sighing at the fact that no one else seemed to want to do it, Kai flipped on a communication channel and hailed the other ship.

"Hail Promise of the Future. This is the Starfinder Pegasus to spiral-side. It seems we are both headed along the same outbound. Kinda creepy if you ask me. All this space and we're practically sitting in the same driveway. What half-drunk knucklehead at ASTower authorized that, do you think?"

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

Patterson looks quizzically at the mechanic. "I didn't think humans invented androids. Thought the first of your kind were brought to Lost Golarion way before the Gap."

Wayfinders

Male N vesk xenoseeker soldier 1 | SP 8/8 HP 13/13 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +6 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.
Patterson LXII wrote:
"Here, Steev--what have you been up to since our Commencement? I've spent some time on Akiton, running down a fugitive from the Society, and then went out on a first contact mission."

Steev' looks slightly embarrassed. "Well mate, you know that menagerie on Level 7? I was helpin' out there and BOOM! Got a nasty bite off a wee little Sheila from Castrovel! Spined Renkroda! Nasty poison! Kept me spitting at both ends for a week! Took a little R&R after that! Haven't been out since then. Lovely little girl, though. Beautiful plumage!"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih looks at the Patterson LXII and responds:
"Isn't it a probable assumption? After all, the majority of Androids resembles Humans the most. But you are correct we should focus on what is a fact and not on speculations."

Hellih listens to what Kai is saying and comments:
"We might ask Ziggy if he knows anything about that ship. Assuming that we are still within the range."

Are we still in Pact World space?

Saying that Android reaches out for datapad and tries asking Ziggy about Promise of the Future.

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

Hermena raises an eyebrow at Hellih's response before deciding to refocus on his considerably less confusing conversation with Patterson. "Speaking of fact and speculation, can you really trace your lineage back 62 generations? Does that go all the way back to the Gap? And isn't it a bit... cumbersome to keep track of a family tree that tall? I've heard the kasathans take pride in their lineage, but I didn't know humans cared about it as well."

She relaxes after Kai describes Promise of the Future's capabilities, but doesn't leave the gunner's seat until they fully understand what the freighter is doing alongside them in the Drift.

Acquisitives

Male N human ace pilot soldier (hit-and-run) 2 |SP 1/14 HP 18/18|RP 5/5|EAC 16; KAC 17|Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +3|Init +4|Perc +1, SM: +0 |Speed 30ft|Active conditions: None.

Patterson grins a little sheepishly. "I did say give or take, hey? The family tradition is that long before the Gap, when the only human-built ships there were sailed the water seas of Lost Golarion, there was a reckless young gentleman sailor named Jim Patterson. He was a follower of the Pirate Queen, and he taught his children that trade; that...way of approaching the world, let's say; and that faith. And they taught theirs, and so on down the centuries. Now, my great-great-grandmother (Jim Patterson the 58th) was a mystic of some considerable ability, and Besmara Herself manifested to 58 to confirm the family history.

"Of course, She's not known for Her honesty, so...." He shrugs. "It's a fine tale, and that's the important thing."


Handouts: At Google Docs
Kai Mixti wrote:

...

"Hail Promise of the Future. This is the Starfinder Pegasus to spiral-side. It seems we are both headed along the same outbound. Kinda creepy if you ask me. All this space and we're practically sitting in the same driveway. What half-drunk knucklehead at ASTower authorized that, do you think?"

"Starfinder Pegasus, this is Captain Cordwainer Bird of Promise of the Future. Our parallel courses must be coincidence. Just make sure you keep clear of me and keep this channel reserved for official communications. Bird out."

A few minutes later the Promise signals you. Thefish-like face of a kalo fills the screen. Behind the face is a large open flooded compartment, through which a pair of kalo swim.

"Haiii, Pegasus. This is Mantarider Suulhu-Huur. Don't let the captain push you down-current, honey. He doesn't like that we've turned his ship into a flying aquarium. But we'll win him over. Alluguoth is going to sing for the crew later. What are you doing out in the deep?"

The datapad link to Ziggy is no longer active.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

"There will be no more help from Ziggy."

Looking and listening to the two transmissions Hellih is baffled:

"Wow. I don't know what to think of that..."

Wayfinders

Male N vesk xenoseeker soldier 1 | SP 8/8 HP 13/13 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 16 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +2 | Init: +6 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: None.

"Kalo? Excellent, mate! Tell me, what sort of beasties do you have on your planet? Are they cuddly or creepy or prone to takin' a bite outta fellow?" Steev' looks positively excited by all of the above.

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

Intrigued, Hermena turns towards the communication screen. "Greetings, Mantarider. Awfully rude of the captain to get all unpleasant just because his passengers have specific environmental needs that he considers inconvenient. If he doesn't like it, he should find a new line of work. We are flying out to investigate a distress signal from a ship associated with our organization. Are you returning home, or traveling to some new ocean?"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hellih waits for a long while for an answer.

"Maybe the wiring is loose and that is the reason why we can't hear any response. Let me look at it."

Android pulls out some tools and fiddles with the communication terminal.

While doing that he says:

"On my last mission I met Ykris, a fascinating alien. He is a sort of parasite taking control of a host and doing all the actions through its movement. He has many spiny legs that pierce skin near the skull and along the spine. Fascinating alien, unfortunately I was unable to learn anything of it's origin."


Cookie Jar Pilferer 7
Steev'Irwin wrote:
"Kalo? Excellent, mate! Tell me, what sort of beasties do you have on your planet? Are they cuddly or creepy or prone to takin' a bite outta fellow?" Steev' looks positively excited by all of the above.

"Like any planet, we've got all sorts, sugar. Everything from microbes to lacy drift-fronds, to toothy killers. The worst of them don't bite chunks o' you; they swallow schools whole."

Hermena wrote:
Intrigued, Hermena turns towards the communication screen. "Greetings, Mantarider. Awfully rude of the captain to get all unpleasant just because his passengers have specific environmental needs that he considers inconvenient. If he doesn't like it, he should find a new line of work. We are flying out to investigate a distress signal from a ship associated with our organization. Are you returning home, or traveling to some new ocean?"

"We're shipping out on a mission. All hush, hush. You know the real Starfinders motto? -- Increasing public knowledge through extreme secrecy."

Normal posting should resume tonight.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Android Spacefarer Mechanic/1 | SP: 6/6 | HP: 10/10 | RP: 5/5 | EAC:14 KAC:15 | Fort +2/Ref +5/Will +0 | Init +3 | Perception +4

Hearing a communication being back he says: "Yeah that was the wiring getting loose. I fixed it for now."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Handouts: At Google Docs

And the wife wanted to go out to a movie last night....

Promise stays within comm range for two days before their slightly divergent course weakens, obfuscates, and eventually ends communication. The kalos are more than willing to talk about anything other than their mission. There are three members on the kalo team in addition to Suulhu-Huur:

Deepspeaker Alluguoth, A soft-spoken kalo who appreciates wisdom and information; Mantarider Ushuul, A headstrong soldier who emjoys showing off his machine gun, named “Muncher,” ;Wavetreader Vhoosh , The quietest
member of the group, Vhoosh is most interested in hearing about the combat exploits of the PCs—specifically, what impressive kills they have accrued.

All in all a very martially minded team. Suulhu-Huur even challenges any willing PCs to sparring practice if they ever meet in person. "You can't be too ready for a fight, sugar."

You have this many days in the Drift: 5d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 5, 5, 5) = 22 The Scholar must be way out in the Vast.

Still taking any questions or interaction you might have for the kalo,. Depending on the tenor of the your next few posts, I'll drop you out of the drift at lunch or tonight.

Acquisitives

Female N sarcesian spacefarer soldier (sharpshooter) 2 | SP 0/16 HP 10/18 | RP 4/4 | EAC 14; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4 | Init: +3 | low-light vision; Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. average (vacuum only) | No tracked abilities. | No spells. | Active conditions: None.

"A sparring opportunity sounds intriguing! When are you expecting to be back in or around Absalom Station? I'd be interested to see how a water-adapted people fight, and to compare Muncher to the full-auto rifle I pulled off an Azlanti corpse." Hermena hoists her AG rifle off her back to show the kalo via the video transmission.

"I know you're not keen on talking about your mission, but could you at least tell us who patronizes your work? Are you representing the Kalo race at Absalom Station, or are you private contractors?"

Wayfinders

male Human Xenoarchaeologist Technomancer/2 [init: 2; perc: 0] [HP: 14/14; Sta: 6/12; RP: 4/4] [EAC: 15; KAC: 16] [saves: 1/2/3] [pistol used: 0/9] [Starstone Compass: 1/1]

Alzandre mostly stands by and listens to the others, taking notes on his computer from time to time.

Need to keep Wife Agro to a minimum is always important.

1 to 50 of 487 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [SFS] 1-04. Cries from the Drift All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.