GM Dak - Shattered Star 2

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 1: Shards of Sin
Part 3: In the Crow's Nest

Pics | Maps | Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Fireday, 2nd of Arodus 4712 AR
Curent Day: Starday, 3rd of Arodus 4712 AR


1 to 50 of 1,864 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Magnimar, 1 Arodus 4712

On the western edge of the land of Varisia, along the southern reaches of a beautiful stretch known as the Lost Coast, the swampy expanse of the Mushfens and the coiling length of the Yondabakari River come to a stark and dramatic end in the shadow of a striking limestone escarpment jutting from the cliffs. Varisian legends have long regarded the place as a blessed resting spot for celestial messengers, and the wanderers would often visit in hopes of seeing an angel and gaining the good fortune such a portent presaged. Yet the upthrust mass of stone itself is overshadowed by an even greater sight—the Irespan, one of ancient Thassilon’s most prominent ruins. Known also as the Giant’s Bridge, this ruined causeway juts out from the Seacleft nearly 400 feet, with its ruined pilings extending farther out to sea, giving the unmistakable impression of ancient grandeur. Be it the point at which angels descended from the heavens to bless their Varisian wards or the ancient site of forgotten commerce and travel, the region has long captivated the imaginations of those who beheld it. Its position at the mouth of Varisia’s mightiest river and at the southwesternmost safe harbor on the mainland only further ensured that the site would, one day, host a magnificent city. Today, that city is known as Magnimar—the City of Monuments.

Built in the shadow of megaliths, Magnimar endlessly endeavors to surpass the overwhelming scale and grandeur of the ancient wonders that litter the Varisian landscape. A place of great opportunity, social stress, and cold beauty, the city exudes the air of a southern metropolis, seeking to rise above its ignoble beginnings as a refuge for Korvosan outcasts to become a beacon of culture and freedom in an unforgiving land. Yet its towering monuments, elegant gardens, ostentatious architecture, and elaborate sculptures form but a cracked mask over a struggling government and a desperate people in need of heroes.

Who might those heroes be? Perhaps those awaiting their fate to come to bloom in the quiet halls of the Pathfinder Society's newest lodge, Heidmarch Manor. Set like a jewel on the Alabaster district, this recently-restored house belongs to two of Magnimar's most eccentric citizens: esteemed hunters, explorers, and Pathfinders Sheila Heidmarch and her husband Sir Canayven Heidmarch. Rumor has it they recently retired and gifted their own manor to the Pathfinder Society, thus founding Varisia's first lodge. Rumormongers among the ranks of the Society itself acidly remark that without the unexpected discovery of the Aspis Consortium's plans to foil the Society's, Varisia wouldn't have been more than backwater to the almighty Decemvirate. Yet whatever the reason, Heidmarch Manor has grown to prominence in the last year, and it is now buzzing with activity of a thousand small hands perusing the grounds provided by the two former adventurers. Visitors are always welcome to the manor!


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

For the time being let’s keep the groups in spoilers since you are all in different locations. Wanted to give you all an opportunity to get to know at least one other person instead of just 'poof' all being thrown together for the first time.

Gunk:
After having stolen some trivial items from the local Pathfinder lodge in Magnimar and promptly captured you were offered the opportunity to either join the Society and use your considerable talents for helping the Society, while getting plenty of food and shinies as a reward or being sent to prison where you may not last long due to most people’s general dislike of goblins. The better option was pretty clear and so Sheila Heidmarch found you safe transport to Absalom for your training and induction into the Society.

Bixby:
After having some success as an investigator in Magnimar following your less than reputable work with the Sczarni , you were relieved of your role after a particularly high-profile case failed to make any progress and you were blamed for getting too caught up in the case. Letting your paranoia get the best of you, you lashed out at the lead detective accusing him and the whole Justice Court of trying to push all the blame on you because they thought you were still working for the Sczarni, of course this wasn’t the case it was just a run of bad luck and no real actionable leads, however you found yourself out of work. Luckily, the Pathfinder Society was looking for new recruits and your promptly signed up. Since most of their training and induction was done at the home base in Absalom you were booked passage to actually work toward becoming a Pathfinder.

Bixby/Gunk:
After several weeks of training and lectures in Absalom, where you had been sent by the Pathfinders to prepare for your induction into the society, you can finally call yourselves a Pathfinder. You graduated with a number of your other peers in your training classes and you have already heard word that you will soon receive your first assignment. Details are non-existent and anyone you ask doesn’t really know anything to tell you but you are to head out on the first ship in the morning, back to Varisia, back to Margnimar.

Adistan/Amelexis:
After months of training you know your graduation day is near and you will finally get to call yourself a Pathfinder. Due to your unique circumstances of finding yourself at Heidmarch’s doorstep you were able to stay locally in Magnimar and, under the guidance of Mrs. Heidmarch, complete your training rather than be sent off to Absalom where most new initiates usually go for their induction into the society. You’ve heard rumors that after your graduation Lady Heidmarch already has a mission planned for you, but you don’t know any of the specific details yet.

Davor/Verris:
Davor made his way through the River Kingdoms and across Lake Encarthan on his way toward Varisia. This route allowed him to stick to the waterways as much as possible along the shortest path to his destination. Finally getting to the other side of the Lake, which almost seemed to be like crossing an ocean due to the lake’s excessive size he stopped off in a small town, Kassen, on the northern border of Nirmathas and Lastwall. He would need to re-supply for the rest of his trip up river and then the short trek across the mountains into Varisia.

Verris was packing up her supplies making a last-minute stop for some remaining provisions when she came across a half-orc purchasing supplies. You hadn’t seen him before in the area and something stuck out about him, drawing your interest.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Bixby/GM:
Gurk hisses as he gazes out at the big-lake, the big, longshank lake-huts resting by the big village. Everything was big here, except for what mattered: the food. "Me hates the water. No food on lake-huts for Gurk to eat. Why we have to be on one again?" Gurk asks the fake longshank, after being told they would have to travel on one again soon.


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

"Lady Dusk," the former sailor quietly greets the approaching young woman, nodding his head as she gets close. He steps forward to open the door for her, gesturing that she may precede him. "I should hardly like to give rumor any credence of respect, but it appears we may be sent on a mission together."

As always, he looks as if he's ready to be inspected: His beard is finely trimmed, his hair parted with almost military precision, his boots blacked, and his clothes finely pressed, no loose threads or frayed edges showing any signs of neglect. A dagger in his boot is his apparent only weapon here in the confines of the Pathfinder training manor.


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

Upon being so formally addressed, Amelexis does something out-of-character for the painfully shy young woman: She looks the speaker in the eye and smiles. Then her eyes are averted again, darting all over the room before she forces herself to again look at the man who spoke to her. It's as though someone (Lady Heidmarch) has told her that looking at the person you're speaking to is the proper thing to do.

"Good day, Master Temmer," the girlish-looking young lady replies sociably before her strange, sea-colored eyes begins circumnavigating the room again before once more settling on Adistan's. Again she averts her eyes before adding, "Yes, I thought there was some mistake myself. When Lady Heidmarch told me to make room on my schedule for a meeting with new Pathfinder Society recruits, I assumed she wanted me to don my maid uniform and act as a server, but no--apparently she wants me to attend this meeting...though I'm obviously not qualified for field work."

After a very awkward pause, Lexi adds a heartfelt, "Allow me to congratulate you on your recovery. It's good to see you up and about again."

There's more awkward silence as the young lady screws herself up to ask something else. "Um...Master Temmer…. Do we get paid for the work we do? More specifically, are we given an advance of some sort to purchase items we'll need in the course of our mission? Although the Heidmarchs graciously provided me with a lot of gear to get me started...they neglected to give me a journal, some pens, and some ink. I was going to buy the stuff myself, but...apparently a vial of ink costs 8 pieces of gold! I guess that's why Lady Sheila jokingly tells me to stop drinking the stuff. If we don't get an advance...is there any chance you'd consider loaning me about 10 gold pieces? I promise to pay you back within the month at an interest rate of 20%...."


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

GM Dak/Davor:

Verris eyes the half-orc with interest while browsing for some supplies herself. She notes that the half-orc's selection seems to be geared towards a long journey as well. She thinks she remembers the half-orc arriving in a boat earlier in the day but had dismissed him in favour of getting ready for her journey. Mind decided, she approaches the half-orc saying, "Pardon me, but I can't help noticin' that yer gearin' up fer a long journey. Yeh came upriver in that boat in the docks, right? If yer continuin' that way could I persuade yeh to let me go with yeh in yer boat? I've got a bit of a journey ahead of me too and usin' yer boat fer some of it will make things easier. I promise I won't be no burden. I can cook, clean and I'm a pretty good shot with a bow too. So I can guarantee a little fresh game every now and then and I can help drive off any bandits dumb enough to attack us. Verris is the name by the by." She holds out her hand and waits for the half-orc to reply.


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

An uncomfortable look crosses Temmer's face as Lady Dusk mentions a maid uniform.

"I should hardly think the Society should wish such a thing of you, unless that was your desire," he says.

If anything he only looks more awkward as she continues.

"I think you for your well-wishes; I was merely sorry to have been a burden to so many for so long," he continues. "I'm afraid I must admit I don't know about finances with the Society. I owe them a great debt, and I think I shall be some time still before I have settled it.

[b]"It is most unfortunate and untoward that you should not have the items you need. I should hardly wish to discuss money, but I have some funds from my family. If you wish, I could escort you into the city for some shopping. I should hardly think it necessary to loan you gold -- and would never deign to require interest on a repayment!"

He concludes somewhat awkwardly, not quite knowing how to react to such an open request on what should typically be a delicate situation that would most appropriately be discretely talked around over post-dinner drinks.

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

GM Dak/Verris:
"Name's Davor. Don't mind... don't mind at all! come into my boat! hope you don't mind rowing and carrying this thing, oars and all, overland when we hit rapids or shallow waters. Here, grab this knife and gut those three salmons will ya? I know a guy here with an extra bag of salt he's willing to let go for free..." says the half-orc, proudly patting the holy symbol of the River Rat embroidered on his cloak. The half-orc then hands over a well-worn brass knife to Verris and heads towards the other side of the docks. His gear is already on the rowboat and he appears to be trusting that Verris won't take anything of his.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Just waiting on a response from Bixby to move the people in spoilers on, I know he usually posts a little bit later day.

As Adistan and Amelexis are talking Lady Heidmarch walks around the corner, she smiles seeing you both there "Ah just who I was looking for. I was hoping you two could handle a little task for me. There is a boat from Absalom scheduled to arrive today, two new Pathfinders will be aboard, a gnome and a goblin. They are coming to assist with a mission. Perhaps the two of you can go to great them and show them to the lodge here?"


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

"I deeply appreciate your kindness and generosity," Lexi replies, oblivious to the awkwardness of her request and Adistan's awkwardness at having been on the receiving end of it. "I, too, owe the Heidmarchs and their Society much. They took me in when...well, when they didn't need to...and pretty much gave me the run of their home. I'd hate to ask any more of them--they might consider me an ingrate.... Shush! Here's Lady Sheila now!"

After Lady Heidmarch gives the pair their orders, Lexi nods and bows her head deferentially. Then she starts to speak, though to no one in particular.

"Gnomes: Short of stature, many having an innate magic about them. Highly abnormal eyebrows and hair color in general. Not that that's important. Typical humanoid weak points: various vulnerable arteries such as the jugular, will die if decapitated. Can see well in low-light situations."

"Goblins: Short of stature, most having an innate mischievousness about them...and a generally destructive love of fire. Hate dogs and horses. Will eat almost anything...or try to. Allegedly dwell in parts of our sewage system. Typical humanoid weaknesses as well. Can see in the dark."

And just like that, Lexi drops out of encyclopedia mode. Adistan feels that, should he suddenly be set upon by gnomes or goblins, he'd be better able to attack them and defend himself against the little beings. Twenty seconds later, that feeling's gone.

"So...lending me 10 gold wouldn't inconvenience you too much?" Amelexis asks Adistan. Assuming he comes through with the funds, Lexi will purchase a journal, two inkpens, and a vial of ink en route to the docks.

Since she's got a much better grasp of the city's layout than the until-recently-unconscious Adistan, Lexi leads him on their walk south to Dockway. She takes advantage of this situation to go a bit out of their way to visit one of the city's majestic monuments: the Eyes of the Hawk.

"This monument depicts the twin wizards Cailyn and Romre Vanderale and their adventuring party, the Eyes of the Hawk, as they defeated the monstrous, spidery shriezyx that erupted from the Irespan in 4623 AR. The Irespan is that gigantic broken bridge over there (she takes the time to point out the unmissable, 250-foot tall ruined structure to the west). Interestingly, shriezyx are semi-intelligent aberrations and not mindless vermin. Important, because this monument's boon--if you can get it--is a slight increase to weapon attacks against all aberrations for a full 24 hours. I've never gotten this boon myself--my eyesight is pretty poor. Luckily, I've never met any hostile aberrations, either."

Nonetheless, the strange young lady stares at the monument for a good 10 minutes before announcing, "No luck--again! How about you?"

It's a DC 15 Perception check to earn the boon.

From there, Lexi uses some of what remains of Adistan's loan to 'treat' the man to a simple meal of meatpies and watery ale to snack on while they await the new arrivals at the dockside.

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (local) Check (gnomes): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (local) Check (goblins): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (history; Magnimar) Check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Amelexis Dusk Perception Check (trait bonus--monument magic): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

GM Dak/Davor:

Verris smiles at Davor's open and easy going acceptance of her request, taking the knife from him and noticing how he proudly pats the symbol of the River Rat. "Erastil knows that nothin' is more satisfyin' than the fruits of a day's labour and I got no problem doin' my share of the chores."

@GM Dak: How well known is Hanspur in the area?

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

She expertly guts one of the fish as Davor is still talking. "Mighty generous of the man to offer up a free bag of salt like that. Sounds like a nice sort." She continues gutting the rest of the fish as Davor heads to the other side of the dock.

Liberty's Edge

Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

Sorry for the delay! Notifications weren't working on this thread, for some reason. I'm here!!!

Bixby was happy to be a full-fledged Pathfinder recruit. His thoroughness would be an asset to the Pathfinders, they had said. Unlike the Justice Court, which apparently wanted its investigators to give some minimal level of effort.

Bah on the Justice Court and the lead investigator. A pox on all of them! In league with the Sczarni, Baba Yaga, and potentially Auntie Baltwin...

Still, despite being happy to be part of the Pathfinders, he could not believe he stood next to none other than Gurk--former Sczarni agent, pyromaniac, sure criminal, the worst sufferer of halitosis he had yet to meet--and his fellow Pathfinder.

Dressed in flamboyant attire, the gnome looks agitated. A small, draconic creature perched on the gnome's shoulder. It looks weary, as if it hasn't slept in days.

"What's not to like about the food and water here?" he responds to Gurk. "I'm sure we could arrange for some swamp water and rats for a meal, if you'd prefer!" he says while rolling his eyes.

"Why exactly did you want to join the Pathfinders?" he asks incredulously. "To infiltrate them for the Sczarni? Don't think for one second I'm not watching you! Your criminal ways have ended...I assure you!"

A battle-hardened dwarf with scars, tattoos, and the sides of his head shaved stands silent vigil over Bixby, perhaps as a bodyguard. He shakes his head and glares at Gurk.

DC 16 Will:
The dwarf is an illusion! The gnome keeps the illusion going perpetually through Effortless Trickery.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Bixby/GM:
Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Gurk grins at the fake longshank and his other fake-too longshank. "Ratsies taste very good. Gurk knows how to cook them best. Does that 'sonny' also taste good? Other longshanks say they give me food to do something, but no tell me what to do."

Liberty's Edge

Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

Gurk:
Bixby is near the end of his rope with this goblin. Not mincing words, he says "Oh, do not get too comfortable. I will show them the error of their ways. You will not be with the Pathfinders long enough to hate the food and water, and you'll be back to your swamp in no time. Or perhaps in a jail, where you belong anyway."


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Gurk/Bixby:
Shortly after you're both on board the ship leaves port and heads off to its destination. The trip was uneventful, though you kept yourselves busy as Bixby kept trying to check up on Gurk and Gurk did his best to hide from Bixby, it was almost like a game of hide-and-go-seek. The Pathfinders had made sure there was plenty of food for Gurk to keep him occupied along the way. Either way, it isn’t long until you find yourselves pulling into Magnimar, your previous home. Being the only passengers aboard the vessel you're fairly certain that the two people on the dock are waiting for you.

Davor/Verris:
After making final preparations you set off up river. The trip is lengthy but you keep each other company and are both at least somewhat impressed by the others skill and knowledge put to action along the way. The toughest part is the trek over the mountains, luckily you don't run into any trouble along the way. On the other side of the mountains you find another river to navigate the rest of the way toward Magnimar.

Once you finally arrive in the City of Monuments you take some time to get your bearings before you head off to find the Pathfinder lodge.

Feel free if you wanted to make another spoiler to detail anything along the trip, but wanted to get the party together sooner rather than later.

After doing some shopping and monument browsing, Amelexis and Adistan find their way down to the docks. Checking with the harbor master you find where the ship from Absalom is intended to dock. It hadn't arrived yet giving you time to get some food and drinks while you waited. However, before long you see the a ship approaching where you had been watching and promptly make your way there. As they tie off and drop the gangplank for disembarkation you see a gnome and goblin, their heads barely poking out from above the railing of the ship.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk eagerly leans precariously over the railing to see the big longshank village come into view. Fake longshank had made the trip much more fun by playing with him a while, but Gurk had already discovered all the hiding places, as well as finished off most of the lake-hut's rats. The other longshanks had been surprisingly happy at that for some reason.

As Gurk's eyes took in the village, he realized that he recognized it. "This be the longshank Gurk be in before. Why we be back now?" Without waiting for an answer from his companion, Gurk dashes out onto the gangplank, easily keeping his balance as he crosses to dry land.

"Do Gurk get to set more things on fire?" Gurk asks loudly back to the fake longshank.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Verris/Davor:
I just realized I hadn't answered your question on Hanspur. Being your town is on a river and across the lake from the River Kingdoms, I would say it is relatively known. Maybe not something widely practiced on your side of the lake but you would have likely at least have seen the symbol before.


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Temmer seems a bit stunned by Alexis' soliloquies, trying his best to pay polite attention without interrupting the woman he's just given 10 gold coins.

"Indeeed," he finally says, "most interesting, Lady Dusk."

"I shouldn't have thought such a monument could have such an effect," he adds, surprised that she might actually have been accurate as he examines the Eyes of the Hawk. "I have fought many things, though I should not like to brag, you understand. I couldn't venture for certain to say whether they would be properly termed aberrations, though."

Later
His eyes widen as he sees the trio departing from the ship, hand falling to his blade.

"You should step behind me Lady Dusk," he says. "The dwarf and gnome are likely the Pathfinders we were asked to meet, from the look of them, but they seem to have a goblin with them. Such creatures are surely the aberrations you spoke of earlier, and even at best, half-trained monsters that are more likely to cause harm than provide any comfort."

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

Bixby exits the boat in a huff. Seeing those on the dock, he deduces that they are the Pathfinders assigned to greet them.

I have no choice but to put some small measure of trust in these two. Though they could certainly be double-agents, it can't be worse than this goblin. Well, perhaps it could, but I will see when I get to the bottom of it.

"Greetings, I am Bixby Poirot Fillydook Copperpot, former inspector of the Justice Court of Magnimar. I deduce that you are fellow Pathfinders. May I introduce you to my bodyguard, the tough-as-nails but unfortunately mute Grimnir?" he says, pointing to the battle-hardened dwarf. The dwarf inclines his head slightly.

DC 16 Will:
The dwarf is an illusion! The gnome keeps the illusion going perpetually through Effortless Trickery.

With a sigh, he points to Gurk. "May I also introduce you to a mistake the Pathfinders have made--a grave one, I might add. This is a Sczarni agent known as Gurk, a lifelong criminal, lawbreaker, delinquent, pyromaniac, malefactor, and wrongdoer who surely belongs beneath the Pediment Building in the lower levels of The Hells Prison! But I digress--apparently, he is to be a Pathfinder, but I urge you to keep one hand on your purse and the other on your blade!"

XD


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

"Thank you," Lexi says as she scoot behind Adistan, "for I am indeed rather fragile. But you are mistaken: Lady Heidmarch said that a gnome and goblin Pathfinder were expected. It is the dwarf who is the uninvited guest."

”Welcome to Magnimar: the City of Monuments!” Amelexis gushes to the gnome and goblin Pathfinders. ”I am Amelexis Dusk and this is Adistan Temmer. Sir Canayvan and Lady Sheila Heidmarch welcome you their home and lodge, and I think you’ll find they treat everyone with kindness, generosity, and respect. It appears most of us shall be working together, but thus far Lady Sheila has kept our mission a well-guarded secret.”

"Uh...greeting as well to you, Grimnir. Although we weren't told to expect your presence, I imagine the Heidmarchs will extend their hospitality to you as well. Please--follow us."

While the young woman seems gregarious and even charming during the introduction, an awkward silence follows as she leads the party through the city streets. You all get the distinct impression the greeting she gave was choreographed and perhaps practiced many times, but now that it’s over, the woman’s unable to make basic small talk. She does mutter repeatedly under her breath, as though she's trying to memorize something: "BPFC and Gurk! BPFC and Gurk!" Eventually, though, she clears her throat and again addresses the new arrivals. ”Um…perhaps you’d all like to hear a joke to break the ice? I call this the Hydra Knock-Knock Joke. It works best if you picture a five-headed hydra with each head reciting a line to the one next to it.”

”Head #1: Knock-knock!
Head #2: Who’s there?
Head #3: Goblin.
Head #4: Goblin who?
Head #5: Goblin your food’s easier when you’ve got five heads!”

Lexi’s eyes widen in hope that you’ll all enjoy her joke, yet at the same time her mouth twitches into an anxious grimace. It’s as if she realizes her attempt at humor could go either way….

Amelexis Dusk Will Saving Throw: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

GM Dak/Davor:

@GM Dak: Thanks for the answer! Do we arrive at the same time as the others are at the docks?

Verris spends most of the time she's not rowing playing a lovingly handcrafted wooden flute or humming softly under her voice. The tunes are often folk songs that could be heard in a rural inn or tavern. Her talents shine most when they stop at the end of the day to camp, when she hunts for game to supplement their dried supplies, and when on foot, helping find the easiest path to travel.

She defers to Davor's experience when it comes to rowing or other nautical tasks, listening to any advice he might give. She's impressed with the ease with which he rows, steers and moves the boat around any obstacles which might impede their way. Upon one such display she remarks, "I noticed when we first met that ya worshipped the Water Rat. He must approve of yer mastery of the river. Ya seem able to effortlessly guide us along without any bother. It must be the well-earned fruits of many hours of practice!"


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk stands a bit straighter at Biby's long line of achievements for him. Biby was definitely one of the better longshanks, even if he was fake. "Me great goblin! Me better than the rest!" Gurk announces, lifting his fist.

The two new longshanks, Adi and Dusk, didn't seem fake like Biby, so they were probably normal longshanks. As they walk, he head constantly shifts as he smells more and more food cooking nearby. A bit of drool is starting to form when Dusk gives out her joke. It lacked any good violence to make a proper goblin joke, but she did include goblins and food, which made Gurk laugh anyway.

"Me next. How do you find out how many longshanks are in a hut? You burn it down!" Gurk says with a burst of laughter at his own joke.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Davor/Verris:
You would have arrived later and found your own way to the lodge.

Amelexis leads the group back through the town eventually entering the Alabaster District with its fine stone and wood buildings, and tidy streets. A young half-elf boy is waiting for you when you arrive. Amelexis and Adistan recognize him as Troy, an orphan of a Pathfinder, taken in by the Heidmarches. He helps around the house while getting a proper education and training. He waves at the group as it approaches, the spots Gurk with a surprised look at first, obviously the first time seeing a goblin in person. He straightens up, obviously remembering some sort of advice on not judging a book by its cover and shouts out "Lady Heidmarch is in a meeting, she wanted me to meet you and ask that you wait. There are refreshments inside for you to enjoy until she can meet with you." Visibly counting you he looks perplexed for a moment and then shrugs, obviously knowing there was at least one more person Lady Heidmarch was expecting. He shows you into the common room where there is an assortment of foods and drinks for you to choose from while you wait.

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

GM Dak & Verris:
Davor joyfully rows during most days, his head focused on the river, always, but unable to hide his smile no longer upon hearing Verris' singing voice.

Can there be a life that's better than this, really? I can't imagine one...

After each song or tune played on the flute, Davor nods to the young woman appreciatively.

While camping on the river shore one night, Davor asks, "You seem at home in the forest and comfortable with that bow of yours... it's doing wonders for our meat needs that's for sure. Thank you for that. To be honest I could not have imagined a better trip than this one... it's nice to eat something other than fish once in a while, I'll admit to it now... he he he!"

A few days later, when Verris inquires about Davor's religion, the half-orc shrugs, "Who knows? lived my whole life on one river or the other, but I don't know if He cares one way or the other... When the bastards failed to sacrifice his soul to the Horseman of Death, My Lord rose from the Sellen River... a demigod yes, but He was no longer the same."


===============================================================

Arriving at the lodge with Verris, Davor marvels at the opulence. Never has he witnessed such wealth and property for a single individual. Or two individuals, to be exact. "You Have What You Hold," mutters Davor, "These two Heidmarch folks must not be pushovers. Look at the size of this place!"

Upon being met by young Troy at the door, Davor first asked, "Hello little man! how is your day going? may I speak to your 'Ma?

Once promptly redirected to the common room, Davor eats and drinks until he can't. He takes several looks at the crystal glassware, silverware and other expensive art items around the place, sometimes feeling them and touching them, holding them up to the light, and often with a sigh, after looking around to no one in particular, putting them back where they belong. He waits for Ma or Pa Heidmarch to come along.


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

GM Dak/Davor:

Upon seeing Davor's appreciation for her music, Verris begins playing and singing more audibly, not to gain more attention but to share the simple joy that music can bring to a person's life.

When Davor's praises her ability, she shrugs. "I guess I am. My Pa taught me about huntin' and movin' through the woods. He's a good teacher. Taught the other kids in town too, and adults if they wanted to learn. Erastil provides if yer willin' to put in the work, that's all. He also teaches that enjoying simple things is the path to true happiness. I'm enjoyin' the trip too! Enjoyin' the wilds with a good companion is one of those simple joys."

When he explains about his religion Verris replies with a simple "Huh." The one word conveying her interest in his religion and also lack of understanding as to why he would worship, in her eyes, such an uncaring god.

Also presuming they both learn of their eventual destination being the same place over the course of the journey

===============================================================

When they arrive at Magnimar Verris asks a passing guardsman for directions to the Deadeye Lodge. Once the directions are secured she'll ask Davor "Ye know the way to the Manor? If not, the priests at Erastil's temple here can lead us there."

Once they arrive she replies to Davos' awe with "Seems a waste for such finery to be here when the folk below are almost starvin'. Although these Heidmarch folks do seem to share with other Pathfinders and allow 'em to stay here, which is a good sign. I won't judge until I learn more." Davor will notice that she does still stare wide-eyed at the more impressive pieces, conveying that she is begrudgingly impressed.

She'll follow Davor's lead when they reach the manor, eating lightly and staying with him in companionable silence unless asked a question.


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

Lexi smiles at Gurk's joke. Whether she's being polite or is genuinely amused is hard to tell. Maybe both, as her next words are: "Heh--funny yet incredibly disconcerting at the same time."

At the manor she gives Troy a slight wave before heading inside. Although she partakes in a bit of watered-down fruit juice, the gangly gal doesn't eat any of the food available. Again, her shyness comes to the fore and her eyes start examining anything and everything that isn't another living being.


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

Temmer nods in respect to master Copperpot and the dwarf ... and a few beats later to the goblin.

Adistan Temmer, late of the Andoren service, at your service," he says. "And I thank you for the warning."

He winces a bit at the jokes -- the first because puns must surely be the lowest sort of humor, the latter because, well, surely it showed the goblin's nature -- as they make their way toward the mansion, trying this best to make some light conversation to keep the journey pleasant and less awkward.

It's made somewhat more difficult by the dwarf's refusal to engage, which has Temmer silently starting to grow frustrated at the man's effrontery until he realizes it's an illusion, at which point his ire transfers to the gnome, who clearly tried to make him the butt of a joke here at their first encounter.

At the mansion, his visage only grows more grim as Troy yells out his greeting.

"Surely, Lady Heidmarch does not need all of Magnimar to know that. Voices that are appropriate on board a ship aren't necessarily on the shore," he sternly reprimands the boisterous lad before being left in the common room to wait uncomfortably.

Technically I don't think we get to save until we've interacted with the illusion, though I suppose that would probably have happened by the end of the trip

Will (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Liberty's Edge

Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

When Gurk looks pleased at the laundry list of misdeeds Bixby recounts, the gnome gets even more exasperated.

At least the rest of these Pathfinders seem to be taking this seriously. Or, at least they are pretending to take it seriously, only to turn the tables on me later. We shall see.

He finds he is feeling little humor to laugh at Amelexis's joke, and when Gurk tells his, he points to the goblin and says "What have I told you!? He's practically confessing to his crimes as we speak!"

Bixby folds his arms across his chest and waits with the others, though he watches Gurk from the corner of his eye.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk is delighted to eat these 're-resh-mints', though it tastes like normal longshank food to Gurk. A belch breaks the silence as Gurk contentedly picks at his teeth afterward. All the longshanks were being quiet, even the other two that had showed up late. Longshanks obviously did not know how to have fun like goblins did.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Not long after the main group arrives, Troy brings two more newcomers into the common room. After ten or fifteen minutes, once everyone has arrived, an eloquently dressed women in a blue dress with green trim, with jet black hair walks into the common room with an attractive half-elven woman dressed in leather armor and armed with a distinctive-looking mithral-and-redwood aklys and a bastard sword both sheathed and hanging from her belt.

Lady Heidmarch, the eloquently dressed one, smiles to everyone and then looking to the half-elf with her, straightens up a bit and speaks in an unusually deep voice and with a no nonsense attitude. "My apologies for not being able to meet you all directly. I was in a meeting with Pathfinder Azmeren here." She motions to the half-elven woman who entered with her and Azmeren gives a nod of her head in greetings.

Pictures up in the Pics link at the top of the thread.

Sheila continues for everyone else's sake "Koriah Azmeren is one of Varisia’s most famous Pathfinders and a well-renowned expert on the Darklands. She has just returned from an expedition to the Darklands below Varisia, having successfully scouted out a new route down to Nar-Voth from the Fogscar Mountains. Koriah has returned with a surprising number of Thassilonian artifacts from her expedition, and we will need a few more moments discussing the implications of this discovery. My apologizes, once again for the delay..." She trails of and then pauses for a moment as if in thought.

With another smile she starts "Actually, please accompany us into the library." Sheila and Koriah start toward the adjoining room. The walls are lined with bookshelves, while several tables in the middle of the room are heaped with scrolls and books. One table in the center, however, supports only a couple of scrolls and a single object — an ornate cubical stone coffer covered with Thassilonian runes. She notes "Please have a seat" As she motions to several chairs around the table with the cubical object. "While we finish our meeting, I thought you could help us with a minor issue. This stone coffer is an ancient Thassilonian puzzle, a cunning feat of magical engineering known as a paradox box. As you’ll see from even a casual investigation, what appear to be seams on the sides are only shallow grooves, there’s no obvious way to open the thing. Each paradox box has its own secret method of being opened. Essentially, a paradox box substitutes hidden catches and magical triggers for a lock. Given time, anyone clever enough could figure out how to open a paradox box, just as given time, a locksmith can open any lock. This particular box was among those items recovered by Koriah, the scrolls next to the box are her preliminary notes on possible triggers or methods of opening it, but she’s not yet had a chance to sit down and properly investigate the thing. So... why don’t you put your heads together and see if you can’t do that for us? Even if the box is empty, as I suspect it probably is, knowing the method of opening it makes it a valuable find anyway. I’ll return shortly, and I hope to see that box open! Think of this as a practice run, if you will, because the actual task I want to speak to you about soon will require as much wit as it will brawn!”

They wait a moment for any questions, but otherwise leave you to your work.

Koriah's Notes:

One of the scrolls lists translations of the significant runes on the box. One of the most oft-repeated symbols was the rune for “wrath,” which Koriah also notes is associated with evocation magic, and in the earliest days of Thassilon with the word “kindness.” Her notes indicate that she believes this rune merely marks the box has having once belonged to a citizen of the Thassilonian nation of Bakrakhan, and that the rune likely has little to do with the method of opening this particular paradox box.

Another of Koriah’s scrolls lists a another observations. Five of the box’s faces are identical, but on one face, several additional
runes appear. These runes spell out the word “CRUEL.” Koriah has believes that this word is somehow linked to the box’s mystery. She’s also noted that each of the individual runes in the word can be reorganized by touching two runes at once. Doing so causes the two touched runes to exchange places for an hour before reverting to their original spelling of “CRUEL.”

Linguistics DC10 or Int DC12:

You realize the key to opening the box might be hidden in anagrams of the word.

Anyone with Thassilonian language would get a +4 on the check.

Assuming someone gets the above spoiler, feel free to play the puzzle out if you like otherwise we can go the skills check route as well. Skill check route would be 6 Linguistics or Intelligence checks from a chosen person with everyone else being able to assist. Either way, discuss among yourselves how you plan to proceed.

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

"No one? well then, let me take a look at it..." says a large, green-skinned half-orc with a deep blue cloak, casting a minor orison.

Linguistics, Guidance: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 = 12

As he starts handling the the puzzle box, he continues, "Davor's the name by the way. From the River Kingdoms. Put me up front in a fight or stay behind me if you need to shoot a bow or sling some spells around. Goes without sayin' that I can handle all yer boatin' needs, if that's ever required during this job. OH! let's try... this!"

Davor rearranges the runes from "CRUEL" to "LUCRE" and observes if there are any resulting changes on the other faces.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk hisses as he is brought into a room full of word-stealers. He quickly hides under one of the chair, keeping a wary eye on the word-stealers and a light growl in his throat. "They want Gurk's words, but they no get Gurk's words. Gurk's too smart for that."

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

"Hey! little ankle biter! come out from under this chair and give it a try if yer smart!" says Davor, lifting the chair up one handed away from Gurk.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk's voice gets higher as he replies, "No! Green one no take Gurk's words. Gurk keep his words in his head safe."


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

Sorry, guys, I'm feeling a bit under the weather and my brain's not quite working right. I don't think I'm up to anagrams this early, but hopefully by this evening if the rest of you haven't solved it? :)

Temmer frowns as the goblin ducks under the table.

"This is hardly appropriate behavior, Master Goblin," Temmer scolds him. "No one will be stealing anything from you, I assure you. This is a riddle we need to solve."

He turns back to the device.

"I do concur with you, Master Davor. It's good to see another sailor on board," he greets the orc. "I'm late of the Starlit Lady out of Augustana, myself. Adistan Temmer, at your service."

Linguistics : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

Lexi's rather starstruck at seeing the famous Koriah Azmeren in person, and is unable to ask any of the dozens of questions ricocheting inside her brain. Then she starts muttering quietly to herself. "Nar-Voth? Vaguely familiar, that name.... Fogscar Mountains? How can fog scar a mountain? GASP! Acid fog! That's a spell I'll never master."

"Good one, Master Davor!" she chirps when the half-orc tries changing the word on the little cube to LUCRE. "If that doesn't work try ULCER!"

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (local; Koriah Azmeren) Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (geography; Nar-Voth) Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (geography; Fogscar Mountains) Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (geography; Augustana) Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Amelexis Dusk Intelligence check (understands Thassilonian): 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 3 + 4 = 20

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (geography; Bakrakhan) Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Liberty's Edge

Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

Bixby tries to focus on the task at hand, but it is made difficult by Gurk.

"I told you this one is not fit for duty! He's a double-agent for the Sczarni! And even if he is not, how could one function as a Pathfinder without READING!"

Exasperated that no one seems to be listening, he takes time to watch the others and see if they have any tell-tale signs of being traitors.

Nothing so far--they seem intelligent and capable.

int check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

All the talk about the Darklands, Ancient Thassilon, magical engineering and paradox boxes leave Verris scratching her head, wondering if she's in the right place. The antics with Gurk and Davos only compound the feeling and she sighs, muttering under her breath, "Oh Erastil, what have ye gotten me into now..."

Loving the RP guys, I've got a feeling this is going to be a really fun game!

Int Check: 1d20 ⇒ 13

After a moment she remembered what her Mother always told her, Erastil tests us every day. Always give your best, even if you think the task is beyond you, and he will reward you. She straightens her back, ready to give it her all.

She speaks up hesitantly with a strong country drawl, "Um... magical paradox boxes ain't exactly my strong suit but it seems like yer on the right track with the anagrams. If those don't work, is there a location in this Thassilon place that might match up with those letters? Name's Veris by the by." She shrugs as she gives her best idea of how to solve the puzzle, obviously unsure of it's worth, and dips her head as she gives her name.


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

Sense Motive DC 15 (for all the PCs):

Temmer winces again as Veris gives her name, seeming somewhat uncomfortable with the familiarity between strangers.

Feeling better today. If the two answers so far don't unlock the box, I'll see if my mind wants to work and give it a try.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

"See? Adi be losing words, too! You longshanks know nothing," Gurk continues, mistaking why the longshank felt uncomfortable.

My guess lies with lucre, but ulcer is the only other english word that it can spell out.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

As Davor inputs the letters LUCRE into the paradox box a visible seam appears around the chest. As the box is opened there is a bright flash of light. Moments later you all realize that two tiny sickly creatures have appeared on the table that look as if the world’s most revolting lapdog had somehow learned to walk on its back legs and carry a dagger. They look around menacingly eyeing the papers and box on the table.

Spellcraft - Flash of light DC16:
It seems there was a trap on the box to cast Summon Monster I

Know. Nature DC11:

You recognize these creatures as Pugwampi, a type of fey and gremlin. Are slightly resistant to damage from any weapons not made of cold iron.

Know. Nature DC1:

These creatures have an aura of bad luck causing anyone within 20 feet to have horrible luck.

We will do this theater of mind since they are tiny creatures. I updated the map just so you can see the layout of the room you are in, in case it is important.

Initiative:

Adistan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Amelexis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Bixby: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Davor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Gurk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Verris: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Enemy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Round 1
> Adistan/Amelexis/Gurk/Verris/Davor/Bixby,
Enemy

Any D20 roll you make, make 2 and take the worse result.


Goblin CN Rogue 3 | HP 27/27 | AC 17 (Trap 18) | T 15 | FF 13 | CMD 14 | Fort +3 | Ref +7 (Trap 8) | Will +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 (Trap 8), Darkvision, Scent 1/day | Acro 12, Bluff 5, DisDev 13, Disg 3, EscArt 10, Local 8, SeMo 7, SofH 10, Slth 16 | dog, dog +6 (1d4+4/19), bow +7 (1d4), sneak 2d6, spark

Gurk's eyes flash as the two creatures appear. Word Dogs! Stupid longshanks. They mess with words, now words mess with them. Gurk be smart.

Moving quickly, Gurk rolls from under the chair behind another wooden longshank contraption to hide as he draws his two dogslicers. Despite the longshanks and sudden fight, Gurk grins widely as he plans his attack. Word dogs may have slicers, but Gurk slice faster.

Move Action to take cover and hide.
Standard Action to draw dogslicers.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Stealth 2: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

"What the?!" says Davor, backing away from the table and casting divine favor.


Female Aasimar Paladin 3 | HP 25/25 | Smite 1/1 | LoH 4/4 | Sp Ability: Detect Evil | Speed 30 ft | AC 19 (18), T 14, FF 15 | F +7, R +8, W +6 | CMD 19 (15 FF) | Resist Cold/Acid/Elec: 5 | Init +4 | Perception +6, Darkvision | Acro +3, Bluff +3, Climb +3, Dip +11 (+13 vs Hostile/Unfriendly, retry if fail), Esc Art +3, Han An +8, Heal +4, Intim +3, SeMo +4, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +3, Sur +5

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Verris notices that the man that introduced himself as Adistan has a reaction to the proceedings but before she can get a good read on him a bright flash of light emanates from the box. Two hideous little creatures appear, obviously hostile.

Attack (Longbow): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Attack (Longbow): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Damage? (Longbow): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Don't think anyone has engaged them in melee yet but if so subtract 4 from my attack roll.

A surprised look passes over Verris' face before a frown of concentration replaces it. She takes a step back, whipping her bow around from her back and taking a shot at one of the hideous little creatures.

Liberty's Edge

Gnome Sorcerer 3 | HP 26/26 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +4; R +3; W +3 | CMB-2; CMD 9 | Speed 20 ft | Init +8 | Spiked Gauntlet: +0 (1d3-2) | Perc +9

Bixby mentally chastises himself for focusing too much on Gurk.

There are more plots and counter-plots than one criminal goblin!

"Surrender!" he yells to it. "You are surrounded!"

Seeing the pair of creatures appear on the table, he casts daze on the one closest to him.

DC 14 Will

spellcraft: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Standing behind him, his bodyguard Grimnir draws his axe.


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

"Dear me--pugwampis! A type of gremlins, and thus fey...so use cold iron weapons if you have them! Also...." It's as if the living, breathing encyclopedia that is Amelexis has turned a page and found it blank! The look of surprise on her young face is rather comical, but she recovers enough to snatch up the paradox box before a pugwampi can get a hold of it.

Lexi uses a round of bardic performance on her naturalist ability. {The archivist and any allies within 30 feet gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and saving throws against extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities used by creatures of that specific kind of monster (e.g., frost giants, not all giants or all humanoids).} Going forward, Lexi will typically invoke this power and then move on, meaning its bonuses will last for 3 rounds (thanks to her lingering performance feat). In the case of stronger or more numerous foes (or if an unluck aura gets the best of the party), she might keep the performance going longer.

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (nature) Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Amelexis Dusk Sense Motive Check (Adistan): 1d20 ⇒ 6

Amelexis Dusk Spellcraft Check (flash of light): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Amelexis Dusk Knowledge (nature) Check #2 (damned pugwampis!): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


M hp 28; AC 17/touch 12/flat-footed 15; Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects) Human slayer 3

Quick stats:

HP 12/12
AC 17, touch 12, flat-footed 15, CMD 16
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1 (+2 vs. emotion spells, effects)
Effects: Naturalist boost (+1 to hit)

"What the?" Temmer reacts in surprise.

Still, as the others urge attack, he pulls his cutlass from its sheath and, studying the nearest fey, slashes at it. Luck is not with him, however, as he jostles with his new -- unfamiliar -- companions and manages to only cut into the nearby table.

He winces a moment as he pulls his sword free, leaving a huge gouge in the wood.

Cutlass (power attack): 1d20 + 4 - 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 - 1 + 1 + 1 = 6
Cutlass (reroll): 1d20 + 4 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 4 - 1 + 1 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 12


Female Aasimar (musetouched) Bard (Archivist) 3 | hp 21/21 NL [0] | AC 16, t 13, ff 13 | Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3 (has specials) | Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | BP 11/11 | Init +7 | Darkvision 60 ft., Perc +4 (+5 traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Bard Spells 1st 4/4 | wand of CLW (45/50) | Conditions: none

Amelexis gasps as Adistan's mighty attack goes astray. Seeing the damage done to the table, she gasps loudly. "I didn't do it!" she protests, looking and sounding more like a schoolgirl than a Pathfinder agent. It appears she's more frightened of Lady Heidmarch's potential future wrath than the pugwampi threat currently in the room.


CotCT | HR | MM | RotRL1 | - | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

GM:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Gurk quickly rolls out from under the chair and draws his weapon when the little creatures suddenly appear. Davor steps back calling on Hanspur to bless him in the coming fight. This gives Veris a clear shot at one of the little creatures. The arrow goes right through the creature as it goes up in a poof of smoke and disappears. After Bixby casts a spell on the remaining one it just kind of stands their in place. Even so Adistan can't hit the thing and instead carves a nice chunk of wood out of the table when he hits it with his Cutlass.

Round 2
> Gurk/Davor/Verris/Bixby/Amelexis/Adistan,
Enemy

The Exchange

Male CG Half-orc Warpriest 3 (Hanspur) - Init +1, Senses: Darkvision (60), Low-light Vision, Perception +9, AC 21/ touch 13/ ff 20; hp 21/21, F+6, R+4, W+7, Speed 20 ft. Skills: Climb 1, Diplomacy 6, Kn. Engineering 5, Kn. Religion 5, Linguistics 7, Perception 9, Profession (sailor) 8, Sense Motive 6, Spellcraft 5, Survival 7, Swim 1 (incl. ACP -6); Buffs: Divine Favor

Trident: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Trident: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Bite: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
Bite: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2

"Something's not right. What the..."

1 to 50 of 1,864 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Dak - Shattered Star 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.