GM ShadowLord's Dragon's Demand

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER ONE - Welcome to Belhaim
Current Map


751 to 800 of 821 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

Looking tired Eldon moves to the wall and leans against it to catch his breath.

"Yes, we did keep our end of the bargain. The question is, will you keep yours?"

NIghtail agreed to move the kobolds away from the town if we helped her with the chief.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Nighttail takes her right fist and pounds her chest three times so hard that you swear you could feel the impact on your chest. "Nighttail keep her word! Nighttail new Chief! Nighttail relocate tribe away from town."


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Yngvilda slaps Cwm on the shoulder.

"Well struck! That was a mighty battle, did you see the powerful magics he wielded? He might have been blood of the dragon himself that one"

She's listening to the conversation as the chests are opened, idly poking at her acid wound and wondering if it will scar, imagining the reception they will get back in town.

When the chest with the scales is opened she spares it a glance, too wired and full of energy to concentrate very long, but the chest full of gold stops her short.

She stares slack-jawed at every member of the party in turn, then kneels in front of the chest to put her hand in and let the coins drop back down with a cascade of chinks.

"THIS IS A QUEENS' RANSOM!"

She's already thrown her shield on her back, put her axe at her belt, and hoisted the heavy chest onto her shoulder like a beer barrel before her brain catches up to her arms.

"Oh is this ... does this belong to the tribe?"

She looks like a child who's been told to give her favourite toy back at the thought of putting it back down again, but she is a follower of Torag and would never stoop to stealing.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

"OK, sounds fine to me."

Eldon stands up straight and goes over to the chests.

"Let's get out of here and leave Nightail to it. I'd really like to see the sky again, feels like we've been down here for months."

Does any one want to explore any more of the caverns? If not I vote for heading back to town.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Nighttail shrugs at chest of gold, "Never seen it before, I do not know. I am just now chief. If you wish to give it to us, we take it. Nighttail will not argue for it, you save Nighttail's life." she says proudly as she pounds her chest again.

"Nighttail gather up Kobolds to tell of new chief and to start looking for new home now. You go home now."

Let me know how you want to handle the gold in the chest, she left it up to you.

Making your way out of the tunnels, you pick up your two wounded party members who were waiting outside for you and everyone heads back to town. After dropping Cei and Galandram off at the healers for further study, you deposit your chest full of gold and dragon scales in your rooms at the inn and then you make your way to the Baroness Lady Origena's estate.

Though you don't have an appointment, you are quickly seen to her study and seated in lavish furniture while you wait for her arrival. She doesn't make you wait too long, striding in once informed by the news of your arrival.

"Ah, excellent. I had hoped both groups would join forces to eliminate that terrible kobold threat! I have been most anxious to hear news of the kobold situation. Have they been dealt with for good? Is the town safe from their trickery and attacks? I see the cleric and elf are not among you. Did she perish in the endeavor?"


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Nighttail's words are enough for Yngvilda, and she considers the gold payments for freeing the tribe. Yngvilda shakes Nighttails hand in a formal farewell (as formal as you can get with a heavy chest on your shoulder anyway). "May Torag watch over your tribe Nighttail, and bless your crafts with durability. Will you still be the blood vow tribe, or take a new name?"

She proudly carries the chest home, and walks confidently into Baroness Origena's study.

"We have deposed their evil chief my lady, and brokered an agreement with the new leader to move their tribe away from Belhaim. She aided us in our quest, and we can be certain of her honour"

She puffs her chest out and pauses for effect before continuing.

"The kobold's traps were treacherous, and Cei, Galandram and Sabrine were unable to complete the mission with us, but they are safe in Belhaim, and these new adventurers you sent proved more than capable of the task!"

She goes to bang her spear on the ground to punctuate her statement but realises that it's strapped to her back, so she continues looking slightly distracted.

"This evil chief spoke of fealty to Lord Eighter-prax, is he from a nearby town?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The Baronness grows quite uneasy when you mention leaving the kobolds alive. "You brokered a deal with them to move away? So you let them live on purpose? I'm not sure that I can find this acceptable knowing that those heathens are still out there and may come for us again!"

Perhaps a little diplomacy will help smooth things over here?


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

Eldon slumps in the chair once they reach the baroness' study, clearly too tired to poke about the room. He sits up a little straighter when he hears the disapproval in her voice however and adds.

"I wouldn't worry too much about the Kobolds, even if Nightail turns out to be unfaithful to our bargain. We blasted a fair number of those things, I doubt there are many left."

"If there are, then we can always go back and finish them off."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

If someone else would like to roll this can be an aid roll.


M NG Aasimar Life Shaman 3 | HP 24/24 | AC 15 T 12 FF 13 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | F: +3, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15, SM: +6, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic: 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Channel: 3/3 | Active conditions: None

"Ma'am, these young folks certainly took care of the kobolds," Tykent chimes in from his chair next to Eldon. "If you didn't trust their judgement in dealing with the problem, why did you send them in the first place? Or was that why you hired ol' Mak 'n me? Trust the young ones - they're the ones who'll have to live with their mistakes, after all." He winks at the baroness conspiratorially.

Diplomacy, Aid: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The Baroness still seems worried, but conclucdes discussion on this topic with "If the kobolds don't keep their promise, the consequences will be on your heads. I will trust that you will find a way to keep them in order then? Very well, let us move on to your payment."

Standing and moving to her desk, she scratches a note and hands it to anyone in your party that will rise to their feet and collect it. "Our agreement was for 900 gold pieces. I advanced you 300 at your request, here is a note to redeem the final 600."

Now seated at her desk, she steeples her fingers and looks to Yngvilda. "Lord Eighter-Prax?" she asks curiously. "Why in the world would someone name a Lord after a dragon? I assume you mean to say Aeteperx? This was the name of a great dragon slain more than a thousand years ago by Belhaim's founder, Lady Tula Belhaim. There are no Lords around here with the name Aeterprax, that is for sure!"

Dismissing ridiculous talk of this topic, she moves on to the next matter at hand.

The baroness thinks for a moment before she speaks again. "There's been a development while you were dealing with the kobold tribe. The day after Hunclay, the wizard whose tower collapsed due to the kobolds' digging, perished word was sent via raven to his only living relative, a cousin in Yanmass. Just this morning her reply arrived. She doesn't seem all that distraught at Hunclay's death, and has no interest in coming to Belhaim to claim his estate and belongings. Instead, she has requested that I auction off all of Hunclay's property and possessions so that the proceeds, minus expenses, can be sent to her. This leaves me with a daunting task, which is to catalogue the contents of Hunclay's manor home."

"Entering Hunclay's manor and exploring its interior will be an enterprise that could entail considerable danger. Hunclay was something of a foul-tempered recluse, and word around town is that his manor was warded by magical traps and guarded by monsters. The fate of the kobold who burned to death on the manor's front porch has only added to locals' fears..."

The baroness takes deep breath. "Would you be interesting in taking on another job for Belhaim? Exploring Hunclay's manor, identifying any unusual or magical items, deactivating traps, and dealing with any monstrous guardians seem to be tasks tailor-made for adventurers, after all. I can pay you a flat 5,000 gp fee for performing this service, and you're welcome to take part in the auction to follow."


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm's ears perk up at the mention of seeking out traps for gold. "Was Hunclay known for any particular field of study? Should we be on the lookout for golems or pits or something particular?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lady Origena rolls her eyes, leaning back in chair. "Hunclay was an old, reclusive, eccentric wizard. Who the hell knows what you should be on the lookout for. I was assume the worst in all categories. This is why the reward is so high, it includes danger pay."


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

"A dragon?! We found dragon scales with the Kobold too. Could this dragon still live?"

Her eyes go wide as she looks off into the distance and dreams of holding off a blast of hot flame with her shield.

She returns with a start at the mention of another job.

"I accept!"

She turns to her allies.

"What say you boon companions? We made a good team. Eldon from the caravan, master of the elements. Cwm who has fought by my side, stalwart and deadly. Mak who has guarded our flank and hunted our prey. And Tykent, heart and soul and wisdom (and gentle disapproval). Shall we accept this quest and write another chapter in our legend? Shall we seal this pact with meat and mead?"

She's riding high from victory and adrenaline, she might be a little less insufferable after a rest :)


M NG Aasimar Life Shaman 3 | HP 24/24 | AC 15 T 12 FF 13 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | F: +3, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15, SM: +6, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic: 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Channel: 3/3 | Active conditions: None

Tykent the Shusher claps his hands in delight. "Meat and mead and sleep," he says as he rises from his chair. "Now to see if my ability to hold my ale has gotten better with age!"


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

"That sounds like a good plan. Food, drink, sleep and then a wizards house to explore tomorrow."

Eldon will get up from his chair, eager for the refreshments and excited at the prospects for this new job.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Nodding satisfied, the Baronness smiles. "Very well then. I shall have your reward for you here when you complete this task. Good luck to you all and I hope to see you soon."

She rises and stands, a signal that is now time for you to leave. As you file out she looks to Cwm "You may want to visit Stonemason Gregol Lenton. He built and designed the home that Hunclay lives in, he may be able to provide further assistance."

"Good day."

Where to? Rest for the night? Shopping? STRAIGHT TO HUNCLAY'S HOME?!


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Yngvilda is in favour of eating, drinking, and telling stories before turning in for the night. She will proudly tell anyone who asks (and many who don't) the stories behind her new scars, but it will be clear that she is still somewhat injured.

Any remaining healing resources would be greatly appreciated, though Yngvilda will protest that she doesn't need it :)

The next day she announces that it would be wise to equip themselves for this new adventure.

I believe we earned 1895 + 600 in funds which is 499GP each. Did we recover anything else from the chief? Is anyone trained in nature so they can look at our scales?

She would like to pick up a masterwork spiked wooden shield if she can find one in town, and perhaps some carpentry tools, because crafting is sacred to Torag, and attaching stuff to your shield is cool!


Male NG Medium Human, Ranger (Trapper) 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 17 14T 13FF | CMB +4 CMD 18 / 14 Fl | F +5, R +8, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8 | Spd 30' |

Filler post for now, will update when I get home.

Mak examines the scales closely, admiring their unique and durable nature.

Knowledge: Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

"Dragon scales, a fine trophy even if we aren't the ones who slayed a dragon." Mak says, not so much a trophy collector but one who believes in using nature to his advantage. "A few more like it and one could create a fine jerkin, durable too."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Very good then. We'll let you retire to your own devices for the night and get a well deserved nights rest. Please finish leveling up your characters, notate any shopping you are doing and give me a post to summarize all of that. We'll push on when you're all ready.

Yes, it does appear Roaghaz had a few items on him as well that I overlooked. They are: Two scrolls of glitterdust, one wand of web (5 charges remaining), a dagger, a cloak of fangs.


M NG Aasimar Life Shaman 3 | HP 24/24 | AC 15 T 12 FF 13 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | F: +3, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15, SM: +6, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic: 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Channel: 3/3 | Active conditions: None

Channel Positive Energy x 2: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 5) = 9

Tykent is able to restore his companions' fighting spirits as he leads the cheers over ale and mead through the night. In the morning, the old man is the first awake and waits downstairs for everyone else to rise. His doesn't bother trying to hide his cheeky smile, not seeming to notice the effects of so much alcohol the night before.

No purchases, but huzzah for 2nd level spells! Channelling has also improved to 2d6, and he can Cackle Chant to prolong the effects of Evil Eye as a move action.


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

"Thank you Tykent"

Her aches suitably shushed, Yngvilda feels suddenly sleepy and collapses into a deep and dreamless sleep.

The next day she sets about equipping herself for this exciting new adventure. She has a tearful parting with the wooden shield her father Asbjorn bought for her as a coming of age gift, the one that she nailed the spikes to herself.

Her tears are shortlived though, because after having freed up her shield arm, she returns to the Chance Smithy where she sets about haggling for a masterwork spiked heavy steel shield. After a spirited exchange where the smith takes pity on her and decides not to overcharge Hopefully!, she leaves with a new heavier shield with which to bash her enemies.

I've updated her statblock. The main differences being that she can now move 30 feet per move action (provided she has dropped her heavy pack full of bedding and pans and such). The masterwork heavy steel shield at 470GP (as it's both a masterwork weapon and masterwork armour) used almost all of my funds, but she did have enough left for a potion of enlarge person if such a thing is available in town

She returns to her friends beaming and excited and trying to subtly point her shining new shield at them to fish for compliments on its magnificence.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

Joining in happily with the drinking and eating Eldon does his best to keep up with is larger companions. But falters and after an hour or two he is slumped in his chair snoring softly.

Not entirely recalling how he made it to his room he wakes at sun rise and joins the others for breakfast.

Heading out to gather supplies for the new mission he searches the town for any arcane scrolls that he might purchase.

I'm not sure what is available here, I still have gold left from our last shopping trip so likely there aren't any.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Waiting for Mak and Cwm to check in.

Potion of Enlarge Person > 25: 1d100 ⇒ 22

Yngvilda - Ouch. Apparently no potions are easily found..

Eldon - Belham is a small town. There is a 75% chance any item 1000gp or lower can easily be found in town. That other 25% doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just isn't found as easily and will take more focused effort to obtain.

The following magic items are available in town as well:

Minor Items
[1,157 gp] +1 heavy wooden shield
[2,335 gp] +1 light crossbow
[2,375 gp] +1 composite shortbow
[6,126 gp] book of extended summoning (greater)
[7,000 gp] headband of intuition
[8,350 gp] +1 huntsman greatsword

Medium Items
[9,350 gp] +1 fortification (light) deathless splint mail
[11,250 gp] wand of searing light (CL 5)
[15,000 gp] book of the loremaster
[20,000 gp] ring of wizardry (type i)


Male NG Medium Human, Ranger (Trapper) 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 17 14T 13FF | CMB +4 CMD 18 / 14 Fl | F +5, R +8, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8 | Spd 30' |

After a bit more grumbling and silently berating himself for being trapped for so long in the webbing, Mak forgoes the celebratory mead in the tavern and turns in early, eager to rest of the bumps and scrapes from the night before.

In the morning, after a night of self contemplation, Mak is in better spirits. A streak of bad luck, he thought, not a sign that he was losing his touch. Making his way back downstairs, he quickly checks over his equipment, ensuring that everything is in good condition, then waits for his fellows to be ready.

No purchases for Mak. If no one else wants it, Mak would wear the Cloak of Fangs from the shaman, but it might be better of on a melee character for the bite attack.


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm enjoys lurking about town as the evening winds down, you can learn a lot about a place when nobody sees you. He finally crashes and takes his well deserved rest before joining the others in the morning. He admires what they were able to pick up, especially Yngvilda's new shield in another life maybe.

As they finish up eating he speaks up, "where to? Should we visit the stonemason first? Lenton?

Normal dagger I assume?


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

"Yes, that would be a good place to start. Let's see what we can learn before we go poke about the wizards place."


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Yngvilda is not interested in biting her enemies like a common troll :)

"Yes let's talk to this stonemason, they may know about the layout of the place if nothing else. A real wizard's tower! This is so exciting!"

Yngvilda is clearly very excited to be adventuring.


Male NG Medium Human, Ranger (Trapper) 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 17 14T 13FF | CMB +4 CMD 18 / 14 Fl | F +5, R +8, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8 | Spd 30' |

Very well, Mak wouldn't mind getting a bit animalistic on someone if he had to, so he'll throw on the Cloak of Fangs.

Mak leans quietly against a wall in the corner and nods when the stonemason is suggested as a first stop. Though talking wasn't Mak's strong suit, his parents had always impressed on him the value of being informed before rushing in. And if this wizard's manor was anything like described, any extra precautions would be a good thing.

"Aye, no sense putting it off anymore." Mak says, heading out the door, slinging his new animal skin cloak over his shoulders.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The party sets off in search of Gregon Lenton, Belhaim’s sole stonemason. After getting directions from the proprietor of the inn, you travel halfway across town to one of the more beautifully decorated buildings in the area. A two story building constructed of hewn stone with open windows and a sole wooden door in the front.

After a brief knock you are met by a large, fit man with a burly mustache and deep voice. Holding the door halfway open, he leans out and asks ”Yes, may I help you?”


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm looks up at the large man, "Master Lenton? We were hoping we could ask you a few questions." Assuming it's him and after dispensing with pleasantries, he continues, "we're seeking information about the Hunclay manor of behalf of his heirs and were told you were the man to ask. WE're specifically interested in Hunclay's, uhhh, penchant for leaving both arcane and mundane guardians and traps scattered around the property. I'm sure you recall the kobold that died last year. I'd rather not join him just yet. What say you, can we count on your assistance?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Scratching his head, he motions for you to come inside. He leads you to a draft table where he provides a rough sketch of the manor's floor plan, draw from memory. "It's a straightforward floor plan, without any secret doors or what not. Mind you, I was there to construct it not furnish it and I ain't been there since."

He describes a two story building that is 100'x60' made out of stone. The first floor has about six or seven rooms, the second story only three. There is an observatory that towers above the second story.


M NG Aasimar Life Shaman 3 | HP 24/24 | AC 15 T 12 FF 13 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | F: +3, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15, SM: +6, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic: 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Channel: 3/3 | Active conditions: None

"Well that sounds straightforward enough," Tykent says happily. "Did the place have a backdoor when you last saw it?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

He shakes his head no. "Not that I recall. Large double door entrance up front. That was all."


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

"Who knows what magics the wizard placed on the building. I've heard tails of all sorts of crazy things made by wizards; like rooms that are bigger inside than out."

Eldon reviews the map, but seeing nothing obviously interesting he turns his attention to poking about the room.


Male NG Medium Human, Ranger (Trapper) 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 17 14T 13FF | CMB +4 CMD 18 / 14 Fl | F +5, R +8, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8 | Spd 30' |

Not sure Dungeoneering exactly qualifies, but...

Mak silently glances at the table, committing the hand drawn map to memory as best as he can but seeing nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary.

Knowledge: Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

"Perhaps this abode will prove more harmless than we were told." Mak says, though an observant listener would hear doubt in his words.


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

"Thank you Gregon."

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Yngvilda beams with excitement, taking Gregon at his word. She nods at Mak's assertion.

"We know that there's a trap on the front door. Cwm and Mak, you both seem to know your way around traps, do you have everything you think you need to get us in safely?"


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm thanks him for the information. "Were there any issues with the construction? Is there anything you think we should know about Hunclay?" Once they've exhausted the questions, Cwm leads the others outside, "are there any other stops we need to make?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The smith shakes his head, "Not that I can recall. I can tell you that it's some thick stone and it's a stout and extremely sound constructed building."

With all preparations set, the party makes their way towards Hunclay's manor. Sitting out front is one of the deputies who has been keeping watch over the building to make sure no one has interfered or looted the place. This is unlikely given the fact that the grisly remains of a kobold, the flesh charred badly and limbs contorted by fire, still lay on the doorstep of the manor house.

He nods to you as you approach and mentions "Baroness said to tell you that your aren't allowed to be lootin' anything from inside, all of that is being auctioned off. You are gettin' a flat fee for your services."

He tips his hat and says "Good luck to ya's."

Heading up to the front door, you find it locked. Using the key you took off Hunclay's body, you open the door and see a well-appointed entry hall that is adorned with two expensive Qadiran rugs and decorated with several overstuffed leather sofas. Two dozen paintings with gilded frames hang on the walls, portraits and landscapes , all of exquisite artistry. To the north sits a large bird cage. Wooden doors open in the east and west walls, and an elaborate spiral staircase of iron both ascends and descends in the southeast corner.

You all stand in the entrance way outside the manor looking in.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

Peering past the group stood in the doorway Eldon tries to take a look around without actually entering the building. Hoping to spot any clever traps or surprises.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

But not seeing anything out of the ordinary, so he closes his eyes for a moment and speaks softly before taking another look around.

Casting Detect Magic and looking for any magical items/traps or auras that might indicate a spell.

Also that is the third five I've rolled across two games on the forums today.


Male NG Medium Human, Ranger (Trapper) 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 17 14T 13FF | CMB +4 CMD 18 / 14 Fl | F +5, R +8, W +4 | Init +4 | Perc +8 | Spd 30' |

Determined to redeem himself from the last time he tried to search for a trap, Mak carefully examines the opening hallway before letting anyone pass.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

If that is enough to notice any immediate traps, Mak will call Cwm up so they can work on disarming it. If not, he will advise that the coast is clear... for now


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mak and Eldon search for traps but do not sense or detect anything untoward.

Eldon detects faint abjuration magic coming from a birdcage that contains five frantic songbirds.

Map updated for Cwm, Eldon and Yngvilda. Still need Mak and Tykent to log into Roll20.


Male Halfling Sorcerer 3 | HP 17/17 | AC 14 FF 14 Touch 11 | CMB -1 CMD 12 | F +5 R +6 W +6 | Int +3 | Perc +3 | Speed 20 ft.

"Hmm, there is some sort of magic on those birds in the cage."

Eldon Concentrates on the magical birds and attempts to identify the effect.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"I can't figure out what the magic is for, it is too feint. Maybe we should stay away from the cage for now."

I'm not sure if spellcraft is the correct skill or if I'd need to move to do it.


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

"We are being paid to deactivate traps, and identify magic items, so there's one already, well done Eldon!"

She gives Eldon a meaty thwak on the back and enters the hallway when Mak gives the OK. She has her shining new shield on her left arm, but her right free so she can interact with the place.

She whistles at the finery as she walks down the hallway.

"Quite a fancy place he had! Those birds sure are antsy, do you think they're real Eldon? Dangerous?"

Picking the door to the west, Yngvilda goes up to it and makes a show of checking it for traps, but she makes eye contact with Mak and Cwm to indicate that she is waiting for them to have a look, after they've concluded their own investigations

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 8


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Yngvilda doesn't make it more then eight feet down the hallway before trouble strikes. What Mak failed to see was a pressure plate hidden underneath the rug several feet inside of the room. When Yngvilda steps down on it a soft click can be heard before the rug disappears and a 30' pit opens up underneath of her. DC15 Reflex save to avoid pit or fall and take 8 damage

Falling Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 1) = 8


“Yngvilda Grimsdottir” | Female LG Medium Human Fighter 3 | HP 31/31 | AC 20 / 12 T / 18FF | CMB+6 CMD 18 | F +5, R +3, W +3 (+1 vs. Fear) | Init +2 | Perc 0 SM -1 |Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: none

Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"Quite a fancy place he had! Those birds sure are an-"

Yngvilda jumps back as the floor falls away from her and she teeters on the edge, looking down into the pit for a second before she finds her balance and steps back.

"Torag's beard that was close!"

She breathes heavily for a few seconds, the adrenaline slowly fading from her system and she calms down.

"Maybe I should go find a big rock and throw it before me to set off any more pits?"

Would that work?


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I'm sure I'm not understanding correctly. I have this hilarious image of Yngvilda rolling a boulder through the entire mansion?


M NG Aasimar Life Shaman 3 | HP 24/24 | AC 15 T 12 FF 13 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | F: +3, R: +2, W: +7 | Init: +6 | Perc: +15, SM: +6, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 3/3 2nd 2/2 | Spirit Magic: 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 | Channel: 3/3 | Active conditions: None

My first home game had something similar - though the “safety arrow” is certainly more portable. :-P

Tykent looks up from his sheet of parchment as Yngvilda swears. ”Oh, would you look at that!” he exclaims cheerfully. ”Now how shall we mark that on our accounting of the manor? Maybe we can put it under ‘Furniture’.” Hope chitters excitedly from the old man’s shoulder, a pot of ink clutched tightly in their claws as the dinosaur watches the birds in the cage attentively.


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm hears the trap trigger and runs up to join Mak, "Sorry! I was distracted by something over there and wasn't being useful. Glad you're so spry Yngvilda, that could have been bad."

He quickly examines the area, looking for any more traps. "This is mechanical, but does anyone sense any magic about it? I guess Lenton 'forgot' about this little feature. I wonder if there's a way to reset it."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 +1 for trap finding

Oops - I completely forgot to sense motive him.
Is the trap on the map? Are we able to move around it?
Sorry I disappeared - life got a little crazy.

eta - a 1?!? Do I even see the hole in the ground? wtf


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The 10x10x30 pit looms deep in front of you, completely blocking the entrance to the room. As you discuss this with your companions, the oddest thing happens. After a minute or so the bottom of the pit comes flying upwards to the floor level and completely disappears, leaving only the rug in the entrance way you say moments before.


Male Ifrit URogue (scout) 3| HP 25/25 | F+3 R+8 W+1 | AC 18/15T/13F | Init +9 | Acro +11 | DD +14 | Intimidate +5 | Perception +6 | SoH +11 | Stealth +11

Cwm grins as the pit resets, "remarkable. Yngvilda, step back a few paces please." While she moves clear, he removes a painting from the wall and drops it on the other side of the rug, attempting to trigger it again.

751 to 800 of 821 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Dragon's Demand All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.