DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Current Date 15 Kuthona, 4718 AR


1,401 to 1,450 of 3,133 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>

Sursha bids Nime to enter the cabin. The half-elf is seated at her desk, idly toying with the charm the undine left on her door this morning. "Very pretty. Is it for me to keep or just to borrow?"


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

"I wish for you to have it," Nime says with a shy smile. She seems nervous.

"I would like to apologize again for my outburst yesterday," she says in a rush. "Last night ... Shelyn gave me a ... " She rolls her eyes. "She gives me visions sometimes through dreams. Other times, she whispers to me on the wind. Sometimes I don't understand them, but they have an emotional ... flavor, if you will. Sometimes I can't tell if it's what I'm feeling or what Shelyn is feeling."

She looks around the room thoughtfully. "That can make people uncomfortable. They don't like the idea that they're not in control of their fate. It's hard to explain, but we are. It's like a path through the woods. We're all going from one side of the woods to the other. The gods know the paths and what lies ahead on each of them; whether it'll lead to a stream, or a ravine, or a ... a dead end. But we get to choose which path we take. We get to choose. That doesn't mean that three different paths won't all lead to the same clearing. But we'll be different depending on which path we chose."

She waves her hands. "Sorry, Time is not my mystery and I don't know how to explain it better then that." The woman walks over to look out one of the small windows. She fumbles with the catch and opens the portal to let the wind blow across her face and through the room. She turns to the half-elf and looks at her with sad eyes.

"She showed me last night where my path could lead if I walked the path of anger." She steps close to Sursha and reaches out to gently touch the half-elf's hand. Sursha can feel electricity in the contact. Not painful, but just a faint tingle. "That's the energy of life," Nime says, gently stroking the woman's skin. "But she showed me that, steeped in anger, it could lead to horrific violence. That's not the path I wish to walk."

"But you didn't bring me here to hear about my failings," Nime continues, still stroking the back of Sursha's hand. "The charm is yours. I'm not very good at them, but I ... " She trails off and reaches up to touch the half-elf's hair. "I had a vision of you wearing it and I liked that - it felt right. It felt like that's how it was supposed to be."

Nime drops her hand and takes a breath. She steps away towards the door, but pauses. Her hand brushes the surface of the table almost fondly. "I had a dream about this table last night as well," she says looking up at Sursha, her eyes darkening. "But I don't think that was a vision. I think that was just a sex dream." She smiles and turns to leave.


Sursha seems bemused by Nime's spiel. She slips the charm on over her neck and brushes her fingers against it. "You're right. I think it belongs here."

The captain laughs at the undine's comments about the table, but then her mirth seems to fade. "Another night, perhaps. I don't like the look of those clouds out there. Chances are pretty good that storm will hit us sometime tonight. I may need all hands on deck before dawn. Tell your friends to be prepared."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

"I saw the clouds, but I couldn't tell if they would cover us soon," Nime says. "I'll let the others know."

She glances at the table thoughtfully. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather use the bed."

She exits the cabin and closes the door behind herself. She makes the rounds with her friends, informing them of the Captain's concern. She then prepares to spend the night above deck, watching and waiting for a storm.


Night falls, and the clouds move closer. An hour after midnight, Sursha's fears come true. First it begins to drizzle, then rain in sheets. Howling wind blows across the deck, and thunder rumbles overhead. Things quickly intensify, and before long, the storm hits with full force!

The ringing of the ship's bell awakens those of you who are asleep. The rough waters toss Tyalee's Whim about. Topside, Captain Sursha is at the wheel, steering the ship as best she can. "Elbows" Eddi directs the crew to tasks, immediately including you as you emerge on deck. The storm's fury is frightening, with the ship listing and climbing dangerously with each white capped swell, while torrents of rain driven sideways by blasts of wind make visibility a challenge. The ship's heaving, wet deck make movement difficult, but the amount of rigging and railing help prevent anyone from being washed overboard.

"We need more stability! Drop the sea anchor!" Eddi shouts. Indeed, several sailors are struggling to deploy the heavy anchor.

In order to aid with a task during the storm, a PC must first succeed at a DC 10 Acrobatics check to move into position. If at least one PC can reach the sailors to help and then succeeds at a DC 15 Strength or Profession (sailor) check, the sea anchor is deployed.


Female Psychic 11 HP: 79/79 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 7/7, 5: 5/5, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 6d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Acro: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Strength + Push: 1d20 - 1 + 3 ⇒ (5) - 1 + 3 = 7

Shenuska easily makes her way across the pitching deck but there's not much she can do to lift the heavy sea anchor.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

As the winds pick up, Nime rises from her spot on the deck and ascends to the prow to face the winds head on. When the storm begins increasing in ferocity she casts a spell to lessen the effects in her vicinity.

alter winds

The oracle's face shifts back and forth between joy and concern when she sees the threat the ship might be under.

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Strength: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Seeing Shenuska attempting to assist in deploying the anchor, Nime tries to make her way over, but gets tangled up in some spilled rope.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Strength: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

"I got it! I got it!" shouts Rudrik as he races across the deck, skidding slightly in the water, then he puts his back into hauling the anchor up.

NARRATOR: He did not, in fact, "got it."


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Calendula, dressed only in Nime's scanty vest and shorts and wrapped in blankets upon blankets, is incredibly thankful in response to Theodric's offer.

Numerous thick scars (new to Theodric) are visible along her belly and chest, as well as small marks on her arms and legs, nicks and burns.

"PLEASE clean my clothes," she agrees, piling the offending articles into the sorcerer's arms.

She supresses a shiver and coughs.

Up on the deck and lost in the storm, the frail woman is thrown around by the wind, unable to be of any assistance.

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

It's all on you, Theo! :)


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4 | HP 63/94 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +15 | Sense Motive +0

During the day...
Theo stumbled a bit as Calendula piled the clothing in his arms. Mainly because he hadn't expected her to hand them over completely.

"Honestly; it's a quick process, I was hoping you'd just lay them out on the floor. Which I'd have to do anyway, I need my hands free for this."

As he spoke, he laid them out and started passing his hand over them, clearing away the mess from the ooze. The sight of so many scars on Calendula's body was a touch distracting - and not in the way a scantily-dressed lady normally did - but decided not to ask. In a few minutes, he was done.

"There we go. Marvellous spell, prestidigitation, shame it's so hard for most people to learn - mother's been looking into ways of making it more widely available, but it seems the laws of magic don't work that way."

The storm

"Bloody lovely weather we're having tonight!" he shouted as he came up on deck, hoping the sarcasm wasn't lost in the noise. At the call for the anchor, Theo ran to help.

Acrobatics (I shouldn't have dumped dex): 1d20 ⇒ 14
Strength: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Unfortunately, he couldn't get enough leverage to get the anchor going.

Typical - I make the check reliant on a near-dump stat, then fail the one I actually put points into.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Calendula gladly shakes the man's hands in thanks, grabbing them in both of her own- gnarled, scarred and branded as they are -, shades more excited and glad than Theodric has ever seen her. Certainly this is the first time he has ever seen her smile, let alone grin, though with the two scars on either side of her mouth, it still looks like a grimace, and if not for the slotted burnt scar over her eyes and the myriad of smaller nicks crisscrossing them, there would almost be a crinkle of joy in the corners of her eyes.

"Now leave so I cn get dressed proper," she says, already starting to strip, eager to get into warmer and more comfortable clothing.


Unfortunately, alter winds isn't much help here. At your caster level, you can only affect up to moderate winds, and these are strong at least. Plus, the spell affects an immobile 10-ft. radius. The ship's moving around too much.

As Calendula and Nime stagger about the deck, the rest of you make it to the sea anchor and struggle to deploy it. Unfortunately, it's far too heavy, and neither Rudrik, Shenuska, nor Theodric are able to budge it.

Another huge gust of wind fills the sails, rocking Tyalee's Whim. "Forget the anchor!" Eddi shouts. "We need to trim the mainsail, right now!"

Any PC who succeeds at the DC 10 Acrobatics check to move into position must then succeed at either a DC 15 Climb or Profession (sailor) check (to clamber into position where trimming the mainsail is easier) or a DC 15 Disable Device or Escape Artist check (to trim the mainsail from a lower, less advantageous position).


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12
Climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Calendula steels herself against the wind, and climbs the rigging with some ease, being careful not to lose a single scarf.


Calendula clambers up the rigging amid the howling winds and driving rain. She makes it to the mainsail and trims it back, lessening the ship's wild pitching.

"Nice job!" Eddi shouts as she makes it back to the deck. "Now, we need to--look out!"

The sailors shout in alarm as a powerful swell rises up and crashes over the ship's deck. It threatens to knock you off your feet, but worse, Eddi trips and the water starts to sweep him away!

You must each succeed at a DC 15 Acrobatics check to retain your footing in the harrowing aftermath. PCs who succeed at this check are in position to try to save Eddi before he is washed overboard. A character can grab onto the tumbling bosun with a successful melee attack against his touch AC of 12.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

The surging wind and incoming swell of water nearly knocks Calendula off the mainmast, leaving her clinging for her life.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Touch attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
I used Finesse on this as it is presumably an unarmed attack.

Rudrik skids back across the deck and leaps to grab Eddi, hanging crazily by one hand from the railing while getting his other hand tangled up in the sailor's tunic.


Rudrik and Eddi dangle precariously over the ship's railing for several moments, then Sursha finally manages to right Tyalee's Whim. Both half-orcs clamber back onto the deck, Eddi gasping in relief. "Thanks, Rudrik! If you hadn't caught me, I'd have been a goner!" the bosun says, clapping his fellow half-orc on the shoulder.

You work with the sailors for a while longer to make sure the ship stays secure, but it seems the worst of the storm has passed. Fortunately, it is short-lived, and at dawn the sun rises to a clear day. Yet evidence of the storm's swift violence is everywhere, including significant damage to Tyalee's Whim. As sailors quickly work to make repairs to the rigging and sails under Eddi's supervision, Sursha stands on the aft deck and calls you over.

"I think the rudder may have been damaged during the storm last night. Could one of you check it out? The waters are calm, but I spotted several sharks earlier. They seem to have lost interest in the ship for now, though. You've got a good window of opportunity to dive down and inspect the rudder."

Investigating the damage to the rudder requires 4 rounds of inspection during which the PC must succeed at DC 10 Swim checks; at the end of this time, she can assess the damage with a successful DC 12 Disable Device or Profession (sailor) check. You can take 10 on these checks.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

I have +6 Swim and +14 Disable Device, so I should be able to do this without rolling.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

I know normally profession is trained only, but could this check be taken untrained or can I possibly substitute for profession fisherman? It doesn't super apply because Calendula uses like a raft probably but if yes

Already shivering up a storm and wet through to the bones from the storm, Calendula grumpily volunteers to go down with Rudrik and check out the damage. "I ain't afraid of no sharks," she adds as she climbs down the ladder in very little clothing. She had been showing far too much of herself, she decided, and this couldn't continue.

Nevertheless, she swims handily around the back (taking ten) and takes a look.

Profession Fish: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Edit: ninja'd by Rudrik but cause sharks we should probably go together, safer in numbers and all that jazz


I don't think Profession (fisherman) applies here, but your'e welcome to look it over with Rudrik and whoever else. And it's probably a good idea that there's more than one of you down there, because...

Only a few seconds pass after some of you swim down under the ship does it become clear why the sharks have lost interest in Tyalee's Whim--a much larger predator lurks in the depths! Those onboard the ship still can see a gigantic, prehistoric fish cut through the water, its head like a snapping turtle, complete with sharp, tooth-like plates. Those under the ship spot the 25-foot-long beast heading right towards them, jaws spread wide enough to swallow them whole!

Initiative:
Calendula: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Nime: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Rudrik: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Shenuska: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Theodric: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Dunkleosteus: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Rudrik and Theodric may act before the fish. It's about 30 feet away from those of you underwater. Keep in mind the rules for underwater combat.

Knowledge (nature) DC 21:
This rare fish is known as a dunkleosteus. Its beak-like maw capable of creating a vortex that siphons in its prey.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4 | HP 63/94 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +15 | Sense Motive +0

Theo elected not to go underwater - he wasn't much of a swimmer (at least not in waters like this), but changed his tune when the fish showed up.

Ditching his coat, he first went to find a rope that he could use as a tether, tying it around his waist and making sure the other end was secured to the railing.

Theo doesn't have any ranks in Swim, so I felt a precaution was needed. I assume tying the rope around himself would take up his action this turn. Let me know if there's anything I need to roll.


Female Psychic 11 HP: 79/79 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 7/7, 5: 5/5, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 6d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska stays on deck, deciding that she's more likely to be of use above. This decision proves wise when the huge fish appears and the psychic lashes at its mind to drive it away.

Mind Thrust II: 5d8 ⇒ (5, 8, 3, 7, 1) = 24 Will DC16 for half.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

Regarding Alter Winds; I was pretty sure it would be overwhelmed by the strength of the storm, but that's what Nime's response would be. Although, I was hoping the AoE would be tied to the location of the ship. Oh, well.

During the storm ...

Nime's attention seems split between the safety of the ship and the unbridled force of the storm winds. She untangles herself from the scattered ropes to see Calendula dangling from the main mast, but before she can do anything about that, Eddi goes sliding by to be grabbed by Rudrik.

"I told you, barefoot or sandals is best!" she shouts out over the roar of the wind.

Examining the rudder ...

Nime casts a spell upon herself before knifing into the water near Rudrik and Calendula. sanctuary

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

"Oh, my. That is a big one," is the oracle's response to the large predator's appearance. "We should probably get out of the water."


As Theodric ties the rope around his waist, Rudrik swims forward a bit to put himself between the giant fish and his female companions, concentrating on his defense. The fish darts forward, stopping fifteen feet away from the half-orc, then snaps open its massive jaws in a fraction of a second! The action siphons Rudrik towards it, and its jaws snap shut on the rogue! He barely manages to wedge his shield in between its teeth to avoid what might have been a fatal blow, but the giant fish holds him tight in its mouth!

Bite: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36
Crit Confirm?: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26
Damage: 3d8 + 15 ⇒ (6, 5, 5) + 15 = 31
Grab: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (17) + 23 = 40

The fish thrashes about in pain as Shenuska blasts its mind with psychic power, but it doesn't release Rudrik from its grasp!

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

31 damage to Rudrik and he is being grappled! Everybody but Shenuska may act!


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

Nime activates her Air Barrier and trusts in her protective magic to swim close enough to deliver healing magic to the held Rudrik.

Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (3, 3) + 5 = 11

Current Effects: air barrier, sanctuary - DC 15
Current AC: 14


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Calendula swims up beside the fish and pushes her sword between some of its armor plates, her battle readiness aiding her in her exact stab, being especially careful to avoid striking her friend.

To Hit, BR, PA, Underwater: 1d20 + 13 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 13 - 2 - 2 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 4 = 17
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 13 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 - 2 - 2 = 20
Crit Damage: 1d8 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 4 = 18

She keeps silent, no complaints or quiet insults, not wanting to risk having salt water in her mouth.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4 | HP 63/94 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +15 | Sense Motive +0

Conjuring a set of illusions around himself, Theo ran and jumped into the water after the others.

Casting mirror image.
Mirror Image: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Gladius: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

As Nime heals him, Rudrik stabs at the fish's mouth, piercing it with his gladius. Theodric dives into the water, and Calendula finds a weak point in the beast's armor plates. Her sword sinks deep into its body, causing blood to spurt into the water.

Badly wounded, the monstrous fish releases Rudrik, quickly descending and disappearing into the murky depths.

It withdraws and moves 120 feet away.

"Everybody still alive down there?" Sursha shouts from the deck of the ship.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

Ow.


Female Psychic 11 HP: 79/79 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 7/7, 5: 5/5, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 6d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska sends a burst of Magic Missiles flying after the fish to dissuade it from returning.

MM: 3d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 5, 2) + 3 = 12


The magic missiles slam into the retreating fish, further wounding it as it vanishes into the deep water.

With the danger gone, you are able to assess the damage to the rudder, which is quite significant. One of the Whim's sailors climbs into the water and is able to effect temporary repairs with a half hour's work, but it's a stopgap solution at best. "No help for it," Sursha says. "We'll need to go to the closest port so we can fix the damage. I hope you don't mind a little detour to Sandpoint!"

With a modicum of mobility restored, Tyalee's Whim makes for the Lost Coast just visible on the horizon. It takes most of the rest of the day for the crippled ship to reach Sandpoint, after which the crew manages to ease it into the town's harbor and dock at the Sandpoint shipyard. Sandpoint's harbormaster, a foul-mouthed but fair Keleshite woman named Jhalevia Stensin, speaks to the captain, and payment exchanges hands. Tyalee's Whim will be seaworthy in less than 12 hours with the captain's payment for overnight repairs.

With this news, Sursha allows all aboard Tyalee's Whim overnight shore leave (with the exception of Beckwood Roos and two unlucky sailors chosen to stay on board and make sure the man stays in his cabin).

As the announcement is made, Viralane turns towards you with a smile. "Oh, it's been ages since I've been back to Sandpoint! You simply must dine with me at my favorite tavern, a place called Cracktooth's. I know its proprietor, and I can promise wonderful entertainment and good food for us all!"


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

"Sandpoint?" says Rudrik as he clambers back up onto the deck. "Why have I heard that name... wait, that's the surprisingly well-stocked tiny town that has everything that a Mary Sue could need, right?"

;)


"Yeah, it's gotten quite a lot of attention in the past few years, more than you'd think a small town like that should," "Elbows" Eddi says. "I even heard the new Empress of Minkai grew up there! Imagine that!"


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4 | HP 63/94 | AC 17 T 11 FF 16 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +15 | Sense Motive +0

As the fish retreated, and a little disappointed that he hadn't been able to help (although, having left his spear in the cabin and most of his attack spells being fire-based, he probably wouldn't have had much impact anyway), Theo managed to get back to the ship and haul himself back on-board looking very much like a drowned rat. In quintuplicate thanks to the illusion spell still in place, and he quickly set to drying himself off with pretidigitation before retrieving his coat.

He was dried and in the process of retying his hair when the captain announced they were heading to Sandpoint and was back to his well-groomed self by the time they made port.

"There's been a lot of people doing well after starting their tale here - the ones who took down Runelord Karzoug for one. And now it's the birthplace of an empress? If they're not milking that for tourism potential then someone's dropped the ball."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

"No hard feelings?" Nime calls out after the creature as it begins to swim back down to the lower depths.

When Shenuska sends more eldritch missiles after the fleeing creature, the Undine looks up at her with a frown. "There's no need for that. It was leaving."

At the announcement of the stay in Sandpoint ...

"Sandpoint? I didn't think we would ... I thought ... " the oracle trails off and returns to the prow of the ship, her thoughts pensive.

"I can do this," she repeats to herself periodically as she watches the wind over the waves.

GM Brainiac wrote:
As the announcement is made, Viralane turns towards you with a smile. "Oh, it's been ages since I've been back to Sandpoint! You simply must dine with me at my favorite tavern, a place called Cracktooth's. I know its proprietor, and I can promise wonderful entertainment and good food for us all!"

"His fried cod chips are pretty good," Nime offers by way of recommendation. "Except on Wealday, right after he changes the oil." She seems hesitant to leave the ship, though.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

"You been here afore, Blue?" Calendula asks with a shiver as she pulls her warm coats back around her. There's a nervous, jumpy energy in her, making it clear she is all too excited for shore leave. The warmth of a fire, a heavy roof overhead, solid ground beneath her feet, all so exciting.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

Nime looks down at Calendula and the scarf-bound woman can see pain lurking behind the oracle's gray eyes.

"Yes," she says. "I lived here with Marcus. We were happy. He died. I left." She looks back over the town. "I didn't expect to be back so soon. Too many memories. You should go, though. Cracktooth's cod chips are best early in the evening. And don't sit on the round stools; they're not very sturdy."

She reaches up and wipes her eyes.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Calendula offers her friend a tight hug in a rare display of affection, even reaching up to kiss her on the cheek. "You cn talk to me when yer ready. Or never, I won't blame you."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

"You're a good friend, Calendula. Thank you," Nime says, enjoying the woman's unexpected physical display. "Would you ... would you like to see where we were married? I have to at least ... I can't leave without visiting."" The Undine looks hopeful, but nervous. "It won't take very long. We'll be back before ... " She trails off and tips her head sideways. "Yes, we'll be back before then."


"I will accompany you as well, to pay my respects," Audrahni says.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

Nime sets out through the small town. Before long the trio pass the stone chapel that looks much more recently built then some of the other buildings. They exit the town through the Northeast gate following the coast.

"After I left Magnimar, Shelyn told to me to travel North. I continued that way until I reached here," she says as they walk, gesturing behind her towards the town. "I stayed the night because it was raining. I walk slow enough, but when the roads are all muddy ... " She shrugs. "When I was ready to leave town early the next morning I smelled something so divine I had to track it down." The oracle smiles at the memory. "Marcus was baking his famous cherry tarts. I tried one and ... and he smiled at me."

Nime steps around a fallen branch on the road, pushing it aside and off the path.

"Oh, I wish you could have met him, Calendula. He was so tall, handsome and strong. I think I fell in love with him that first day. Shelyn whispered to me that there was somewhere I was supposed to be, but I ... I ignored her."

After another ten minutes of walking, she leaves the path, moving through the brush towards the sea. The land rises up with a slow climb up the back of a bluff. Reaching the crest, The ladies see the waters of the Varisian Gulf arrayed before them with the sun setting in the distance. There's a small grassy clearing that leads up to a cliff, and below that, crashing waves. Scrub bushes abound, but near the edge stand two trees gnarled by the sea wind.

Nime walks up to rest a hand on one of the stunted trees. "I stayed here. We'll, not here, but in town. Three months later Marcus proposed to me." Her eyes look out over the sea, but it's clear she's not seeing the waves, but memories. "He was so nervous he dropped the ring in the grass." She smiles, seeing him in her mind. "I wanted to have children right away, but he kept reassuring me that there would be time for that and I was so young." Her smile fades away. "I think he understood even then that ... "

The tall woman leaves the side of the tree to walk over to a nearby stone almost covered with grass.

"They buried him in that dreary cemetery behind the chapel." She shakes her head in annoyance and begins to pull the grass away from the stone. "So depressing. I knew he'd rather be here to be able to look out over the ocean." She lowers herself down to the rough ground and both Audrahni and Calendula can see the stone is a grave marker.

'Marcus Miln'
'6th Desnus, 4639 - 2nd Arodus, 4702'
'Beloved Husband'

"We had twenty two years. Shelyn didn't speak to me at all again until after he died," Nime says, continuing to clear the grass away from the stone. "I still don't understand. Why would She let me fall in love with a man that would live for barely a flicker of my life." She reaches out to brush dirt off the top of the stone. "Sometimes I think she was trying to teach me something, but I don't think I'm clever enough to figure out what."

Her hand continues to rest on the rough-hewn stone. "I miss you," she whispers and sits in silence for a while more.

As the sun sinks lower, Nime levers herself to her feet with her spear and brushes the tears from her face. "If we're going to meet Viralane, we should head back. Thank you for coming with me, it means a lot." She pauses just long enough to close her eyes and listen to the wind for a few moments before shuffling her way back down the rise.


Audrahni places her hand on Nime's shoulder as she sits by the gravesite. "The elves understand far too well the tragedy of losing friends and loved ones with shorter lifespans. It's why most of them choose to live apart from the rest of the world, associating only with their own kind. Those who dwell among the humans are given an appropriate name--Forlorn. I've had my fair share of sorrows in my life, but if I've learned anything, it's that it's better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. Nothing can heal the pain your heart feels, Nime, but you must also be grateful that the pain is a result of how much love there was between you and Marcus. It's bittersweet, but the two feelings go hand in hand. And trust that Shelyn has a plan for you, and perhaps the two of you will be reunited in the next life."


For those of you going with Viralane...

For such a small town, Sandpoint boasts an unusually large theater. Cracktooth's Tavern is across the street, and it is a favorite among the theater's patrons. You arrive just after sunset and find the large common room is crowded and raucous. Patrons sit at tables scattered across the place, while a number sit in velvet-upholstered theater seats before a stage in the southwest corner. There is a bar to the northwest, and plush chairs make a cozier setting in the northeast.

Viralane brings you to the bar, where a large man with jagged, chipped teeth and a thickset neck cleans mugs. "Cracktooth, you old so-and-so! It's good to see you, darling!" Viralane says with her usual dramatic flair. She makes a sweeping gesture to encompass all of you. "Allow me to introduce you to my honor guard for the evening."

Cracktooth nods politely to you, but he favors Viralane with a grin and greets her expansively. "My dearest Viralane! You're always welcome in my establishment. Are you planning on gracing my stage tonight?"

Viralane shakes her head. "Oh, not tonight, I'm afraid, darling Cracktooth. My voice is out of sorts."

Cracktooth clucks his tongue. "Ah, too bad, too bad. Well, it's Moonday, so you're just in time for the competition. Will you do the honors and draw the chit to determine tonight's theme?"

He gestures to stained, empty keg filled with dozens of wooden chits. Viralane reaches in and draws forth a chit before handing it to the tavern keeper. Cracktooth chuckles. "Alright, then! Attention, everybody! The theme for tonight's competition is 'adventurers!' Let's see who can put on the best act!"

Eager performers among the crowd begin to step up onto the stage to try to win over the audience with impromptu performances about adventurers.

Anybody who wishes to take the stage may attempt a Perform check. If anybody beats DC 16, whoever rolls the highest wins the prize at the end of the night--a 20 gp line of credit at the tavern.

The tavern offers standard food and drink with the following specialties:

Director's Choice: Sweet blackberry wine (10 gp per bottle)
Drunkfish Vittles: Strips of beer-soaked fish and potato strips fried in lard (3 sp)
Tooth Cracker: Exceptionally potent rum said to be able to crack teeth if you keep it in your mouth too long (1 gp per shot)
Understudy: Cheap ale with a shot of very cheap whiskey (2 cp per mug)


Female Psychic 11 HP: 79/79 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 7/7, 5: 5/5, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 6d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska buys a bottle of Director's Choice, but only has a small glass for herself. She does however offer anyone who wants some a glass, and pours more generously for others.

She insists on Cora having one.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2
DM Brainiac wrote:
"And trust that Shelyn has a plan for you, and perhaps the two of you will be reunited in the next life."

"Oh, I know she has a plan. We're supposed to save the world," Nime replies sadly. "I just wish I didn't have to do it without Marcus."

She tips her head thoughtfully. "Although Marcus wouldn't have wanted to leave his bakery."

As they walk, the oracle notes Calendula shivering in the sea breeze. She moves close to the scarf-clad woman and wraps a warm long arm around her.

"Thank you again for coming out with me. That breeze coming off the water can be very cold."

Arriving at Cracktooth's ...

When Nime walks in with Audrahni and Calendula she pauses and looks around. She then walks up to the bar. "Hello, Cracktooth," she says. "Three 'Tooth Crackers', please." The tall woman looks at her two companions. "What would you like to drink? I'll buy the first round."


"I'll take a glass of wine, if you don't mind, Shenuska," Audrahni says, waving off Nime's offer of stronger alcohol.

Corla takes the glass offered to her. She glances at it before giving Shenuska a significant look, as if to say "I know you used magic on me but I've decided not to say anything about it... yet."

As the night progresses and the rowdy performances continue, several patrons beg Viralane to sing a song of perform a scene for them. She demurs at first, but as she continues to drink several glasses of wine, she starts to answer with a coy, "Perhaps later."

Sense Motive DC 12:
You detect growing concern in ever-present but silent Corla.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 11 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 T 10 FF 10/18 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 20 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/8, 5th 6/6 | Invis 11/11, Fly 11/11, Gas 11/11, Thunder 2/2

Nime downs the first of the shots set before her and takes a ragged gasp of air. She coughs a little and then smiles at Calendula before picking up a second one and swallowing it as well. "Better," she manages in a rough voice. She finishes the third before picking up her spear and stumbling over to sit near the stage.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Female Psychic 11 HP: 79/79 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 7/7, 5: 5/5, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 6d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska's return look to Cora is equally laden with meaning. And I know what you were doing, and I've not said anything. Yet. The wine is offered with another meaningful look, although this one is slightly different. I'm sorry.

"Of course Audrahni, please help yourself." Shenuska replies, pouring the elf a generous glass. It doesn't take someone of Shen's perception to see that Cora is becoming tense and its easy to work out why. She shoots the halfling a pointed glance and then taps Viralane on the shoulder, forcing the impressario to turn away from her wine and towards the pyschic.

"Are you sure about performing Viralane?" She asks, watching to see if Cora takes the opportunity to deal with Viralane's drink. "You really did seem hoarse earlier. It would be a great shame if this evening ended on anything upsetting."

Shen's really conflicted about Cora now - on the one hand she's a sneak thief, on the other, she's loyal and really cares. Hard decisions!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 4/Fighter 7 | 102/102 HP | AC 32 T 14 FF 28 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +15 (+17 vs. traps)

Rudrik wanders the streets with his friends like he's a local, just humming tunelessly and occasionally glancing at this storefront or that house.

At Cracktooth's he grins widely and says, "Hey, I feel like I'll fit right in here! I'll have... uh... something to eat. Hot. I dunno, surprise me."

1,401 to 1,450 of 3,133 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.