Variel's Reign of Winter

Game Master Neltji

loot list second page

combat map update


1 to 50 of 9,178 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Not able to get the old thread switched over so I can access the campaign thread for updates. Instead I am creating this thread so I can use that tab.


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

"Well, I ain't got no notion as ta how ta handle this portal, an' figure we'll play it by horn when we get there. May be sinple as sabotaging the magic what keeps it open, taking it's power-source, or it's a gate what sends folk wherever it wants from wherever the origin, in which case we'll have ta go through it. Hope not tho." beck says, as he trudges through the snow.


Male Elf Magus 2 (AC: 16,12,14; HP: 20; Saves 4,2,3; Init +2, perc +2)

I don't know Gabe. What you say is all within the realms of possibility when it comes to magic. The only limiting factor is the strength of the caster as far as I know. Thus it is possible to have a one way portal, a two way portal, and/or a portal with a pass phrase. Likewise it could be something as simple as speaking command word to close it down or as complex as a week long ritual. I haven't the faintest notion until we get there. Once we do I will do my best to identify the cause and let you know what we need to do to close it. Hopefully it is something that we can close.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Dotting


Gabryjel looks from Beck and then nods to Variel in acknowledgment of their information about the source of the problem.

”Hell man, I got no clue. Just trying to kick around some ideas ‘cause Miss Aneira was asking on plans and all.”

Variel Whitestorm wrote:
I don't know Gabe. What you say is all within the realms of possibility when it comes to magic. The only limiting factor is the strength of the caster as far as I know. Thus it is possible to have a one way portal, a two way portal, and/or a portal with a pass phrase.

He nods.

”So how powerful would the caster have to be? I mean, I saw that trap earlier that did the damage. It was ugly – but I reckon it weren’t that big of a deal.”

”But a Dimensional Door with Permanency cast on it; big enough that it could open bad weather and troops? That sounds pretty strong to me; but then – I ain’t no caster,” he says with a shrug.

”Anyhow – the way I’m seeing it… if there’s a caster strong enough to make something like that, I don’t reckon we can beat him in a clean fight. It may take more than that what we got here, you know?”

”And if we got to through to the other side… that’s all kinds of bad news, too. I mean – what’s on the other side? Do we even know?”

”Hell, I don’t know one way or the other; but I’m not eager to jump into an elemental plane of Frost; or wherever the hell this stuff is coming from, you know?’

He spits into the fire again.

”Hell; it don’t matter I guess. Like you said; until we get there, we won’t really know either way, you know?”

”But right now I’m feeling pretty damn outclassed; but we got to do this, so there ain’t much more to say on it.”


Male Elf Magus 2 (AC: 16,12,14; HP: 20; Saves 4,2,3; Init +2, perc +2)

That is a good question Gabe. I don't now how powerful a person would have to be. Then again the person may not be powerful at all if it was constructed magic. I mean think about the cloak that Xanxan is wearing. As far as I know he has no magical ability at all yet he can gain the benefits that the cloak provides. It is not as if he is powering the cloak himself. It just exists and he uses it.

map up later tonight


Variel Whitestorm wrote:

That is a good question Gabe. I don't now how powerful a person would have to be. Then again the person may not be powerful at all if it was constructed magic. I mean think about the cloak that Xanxan is wearing. As far as I know he has no magical ability at all yet he can gain the benefits that the cloak provides. It is not as if he is powering the cloak himself. It just exists and he uses it.

map up later tonight

He brushes the idea about Xanxan's cloak aside with a shake of his head.

"Sure - but someone made that item; Xanxan just found it. The one who made the item - that's the one we got to be afraid of, you know?"

He thinks a moment.

"Unless... are you suggesting an independent may have made a gate and have nothing to do with all of this; and maybe some scumbag found the item and took it for themselves to use?" he says frowning a little.

"Like - say - what if a demi-god or even a god crafted a magical weapon or gate and someone else just stole it from the being who created it?" he says thinking suddenly of the totems to Crows they saw earlier, and his eyes narrow at the thought of dealing with a giant, demonic Crow-creature.

"That would not only be bad news for whoever is fighting the thief - but it could be a problem on a much bigger picture, because - well, I ain't one for religiousity or nothing - but you don't piss of the gods... that's bad business," he says with a scowl.

"Anyhow, it just makes me think this is way over our heads and maybe getting the regular army on board would be better."

He pounds his fist into his open palm.

"But what's the point, you know? By the time we go rustle them up, it could already be too late," he adds.

"So it looks like it's us or nothing... but as for closing the gate? It sounds like the best plan is to find the chief who's using the gate - and then make him give us key to seal it; or the password... by any means necessary," he says emphatically.

Yeah, as for the other site - I see my post as a "preview" when I hit "post" it slowly loads, then it opens only to have nothing there. I don't see evidence that anyone posted on the social thread yet. It seems like a network issue - the Paizo staff may be able to fix it, if you contact them.


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

"Artifacts are ancient and powerful things, and other items can be Heirlooms or lost, so it could be anything from anyone."

As a side note, "Dimension Door" is just a short-range teleport, do you mean the spell, or some kind of Gate? Meta-wise, there's no low-level magic that can do this so it's either someone big doing it remotely or artifact/ritual going on, but Beck's no Arcanist, so he wouldn't really know... My money is on artifact of some kind


GM stuff:

perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Aneira 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 +2 in cold
Beck 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 +1/2 level in cold
Gabe 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Variel 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Venja 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Xanxan 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

1d20 + 9 - 4 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 9 - 4 - 4 = 7 DC 5

Trudging through the snow the group finds themselves quickly tiring of the weather. It would seem that for every 3 feet travelled forward they are forced back a foot from the driving wind and snow. Eventually though the group does make its way between a set of 40ft trees weighed down with so much snow the trees look like small hills. On the other side of the trees 4 low igloos stand here in the snow. A well packed trail of large footprints between them heading both north and west.

To the northwest a bank of quill-like icicles spear outward in a ring, seemingly grown from a heavy sheet of ice covering the ground. A second ring of giant icicle monoliths stands inside the outer ring, surrounding a swirling cylindrical vortex easily 10 feet in diameter. Icy winds and driving snow blast from the vortex, creating the wintry weather in the area.

To the north east it looks like a cave entrance in the side of the hill but the driving snow makes it impossible to see more than the outline of the cave entrance.

In the center of the four igloos a dimuniative fey hovers in the air looking at you. I was wondering when you would arrive. Izoze informed me about you a few days ago. When she did not show up to report to me earlier today I assumed that you would be the reason for her demise. I had hoped that she would be more resourceful in dealing with you but it looks like the task will have to fall to me, the glorious Hommelstaub, instead. I give you this one chance, surrender to me now and you shall live in the glory of eternal winter. Resist and you shall become my queen's private ice sculpture collection.

Hommelstruab won init.
The fey creature holds what looks to be a small stone in his hand ready to throw it at the group.

Assuming not everyone surrenders
Hommelstraub throws the stone towards the group aiming at the hex Xanxan is in. It lands with a loud report deafening all within 10ft(fort 15 save negates).

portal map

Group up...


Wouldn't we get an initiative check before he throws the Magical Stone at the party? Just curious...

Fortitude Save
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Also, do we have to roll initiative at all at this point or is it just default to us?

EDIT: At least I can hear his glib comments... ;)


Init already rolled and he won, sorry for not saying it explicitly. Fixed now. He readied on his action to throw the stone. Also Aneira hopefully this answers your discussion question about Izoze. You couldn't tell for sure as you never had a description exactly but I don't see why you shouldn't know now.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Fort Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

The poor gnome clutches at his ears


AC 19/11/18 (12/t11/ff11) ; hp 63/63; saves: F 5 R 4 W 9; bab 4, melee 4, ranged 5; CMB 4, CMD 15; speed 30; init +5; aasimar (peri-blooded) Witch (winter)-5/Winter Witch-4
skills:
Acro 2, appr 5, bluff 3, diplo 6, fly 12, heal 5, intim 7, Kn arcane 16(17), know planes 10, know history 10, know nature 10, kn local 9, ling 9, perc 14, sm 3, splcrft 16(17), stealth 1, UMD 11/+2 hut

fort: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Venja clutches her fur covered ears* and winces in pain as her hearing goes.

fur covered as in cold weather gear, she didn't sprout fur. haha


deafened: fail hearing perception checks, -4 to other perception checks, -4 to init, 20% chance of spell failure for 1 hour. GAbe, Xanxan and Venja you still get your full round of actions though.


Okay, sorry for asking these follow-up questions (the combat map thing has me a little confused)

1. How many squares am I able to move during this round given the snow/terrain? I'm a little unclear on that point.

2. Based on your last post, are you saying that I failed my Fortitude Check? I'm sorry, that's a little unclear at this point is all.

3. I think I missed it earlier, but was is "Izoze" supposed to be; like what race/class - or any other things we know about it?

I would move to shoot, but I don't know far I can move, and that may cause me to end up in one of my allies spaces at this point.


AC 14; HP 14/14; Saves: F +2, R +3, W +5/+7; Melee 1, Ranged 2; CMB 1, CMD 12; Speed 30; Init +3; Perc +5 Half-Elf Female Winter Oracle/2

Gabe, why are you making a fort save? It says anyone within 10ft of Xan but you and Aneira are further away than that. GM, please clarify? In case Anee does need to make a fort save, here goes.

So the second-in-charge, Izoze, was indeed the creature they had slain back near the bandit's hut. Aneira was relieved by the news. Vrixx had bragged of Izoze's prowess but it was good that it failed her in battle.

Fort save (DC 15): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Fortunately, Aneira's hearing is spared from the loud bang by Xan.


Aneira Whitestorm wrote:
Gabe, why are you making a fort save? It says anyone within 10ft of Xan but you and Aneira are further away than that. GM, please clarify? In case Anee does need to make a fort save, here goes.

1. Aneira - I missed the part about 10 feet in the post, so that's good news; although I think I may have made the save anyway.

2. RE: Their names - Do you think it is a clue to closing the portal (like their names are passwords) or is it something we can use when questioning it after the fight? In other words - should we try to take the creature alive or shoot to kill? Gabe is prepared to kill the creature based on what we talked about earlier, unless you want it alive for questioning - just let me know either way, though.

3. Any chance that you know the distance I can move for the future per round?

For now I think I'm going to just try to shoot without moving:

Attack against creature -
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

If it hits -
1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

EDIT: Okay, I'm doubting a 14 hits a dimunitive flying creature; but I'm crossing my fingers in the meantime...


1) Gabe you did not need to make a fort save but everyone else does. I posted the deafened rules for a quick reference fo those that may need them since people failed.
2) It is very difficult terrain with the heavy snow so all movement counts as 20ft/squares unless you have special abilities or snowshoes. Those with snowshoes it takes 15ft/square.
3) Izoze was the creature you fought at the bridge and only mentioned it as Aneira asked in the discussion thread and you have killed everyone to this point that would tell you exactly who or what you would be fighting against. Just giving the background that you wouldn't otherwise have.


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Beck takes a step up to P:27, unwinding his sling, and takes a moment to pull out an alchemist's fire with his tail swift. He then promptly turns himself into a Gnome and glowers at the Fey

Move to p27, draw weapon
Swift: take out Alch Fire
Standard: Alter Self SLA


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Unaware there's another 'gnome' nearby, Xanxan scoots around the edge of the treeline.

Double snowshoe Moving to R24


Male Elf Magus 2 (AC: 16,12,14; HP: 20; Saves 4,2,3; Init +2, perc +2)

fort save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 Yeah deaf for an hour.

Not trusting to his spell casting abilities currently in his deafened condition Variel hustles ahead of Beck in the snow trying to reach the diminutive fey. The snow causing him to not reach the creature this time but hopefully soon so he can enact his frustrations out on the now silent fey.


Beck what is Sheelah doing as well since she has a move speed of 40 feet even with the deep snow she can move 20ft as a double move?

Partial Round 1 map


Gabryjel watches his companions and wonders if they will be successful in assailing this creature.

He frowns at the weather, not sure if he will be able to do much good, but determined to try his best.


AC 14; HP 14/14; Saves: F +2, R +3, W +5/+7; Melee 1, Ranged 2; CMB 1, CMD 12; Speed 30; Init +3; Perc +5 Half-Elf Female Winter Oracle/2

Aneira removes an Alchemist's Fire from her belt pouch (standard action due to Haunted Curse) and hands the flask to Gabe who may stand a better chance at using it.

Aneira now has 1 Alchemist's Fire remaining (Gabe, this is one of Anee's own Alchemist's Fire she bought from Tess back in Heldren. It's not group loot.)


Gabryjel's eyes widen in surprise at the sudden move, but he accepts the flask gratefully from Aneira.

At which point he tenses himself and prepares for whatever may come next...

Thanks Aneira! :)


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

Can't look at the map, but Sheelah woud move up toward the creature as much as possible.


Yay, Sheelah :)


GM stuff:

1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 2 - 4 = 6
1d8 ⇒ 1

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
1d4 + 1 + 1d3 ⇒ (1) + 1 + (1) = 3

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 concentration DC: 17
2d4 + 1d4 ⇒ (2, 3) + (1) = 6

Round 1 recap

Venja moves up slightly to get closer to the others should they need some healing. Taking a shot with the crossbow the bolt sails on the wind and lands near the cave. Gabe likewise tries to impale the fey with an arrow but the size and quickness eludes him for the moment. Suddenly there are two gnomes in the party as Beck changed before everyone's eyes but not before he grabs his sling and an alchemist fire with his tail. Xanxan is quite alarmed to see a gnome with a demonic tail and moves quickly over to one of the igloos instead. Variel and Sheelah adavnace as far as they can in the deep snow but fail to reach the fey. Aneira takes her time retrieving an alchemist fire as her constant ?friendly? companions move it around in her pack at the last second. Pulling it free she hands it to Gabe for him to take the surer throw to shut the fey up.

Round 2 beginning
Targeted by so many and out in the open, Hommelstraub turns invisible and disappears in the weather. However the thunderstone did its work, not only deafening some of the party members but it alerted the others nearby. From out of the igloo to the east another ice elemental rushes out to lay a blow on Sheelah. 2 normal damage and 1 cold damage

From the south igloo two more fey rise out of the smoke hole and target the party with their spells. The presence of Xanxan causes the one to fumble though and the shiny lights it was producing wink out quickly with no effect. The other manages to catch both Variel and Beck in the area of effect. (will save DC 12 negates or unconscious, blind and stunned for 5 round, blind and stunned for 1 round, and stunned for 1 round)

From the circle of ice near the portal a large lumbering shape moves towards the party a boar spear in one hand. This lanky moss-colored humanoid has an elongated, toothy snout and appears to be covered in bits of foliage.

know local DC 15:

This large creature is a moss troll. A relative of the normal troll it is more accustomed to forest habitats. A moss troll can assume the appearance of a mossy tree luring unsuspecting travelers closer. Once within range of its 10ft reach, it pounces on them.

know local DC 20:

Mossy Trolls differ from regular trolls in that their regenerative properties are not hindered by acid. However they have a deeper seed fear of fire and are actually vulnerable to flames. Even the mere sight of fire is enough to cause it to become shaken.

Good guys up round 2...

map


Male Elf Magus 2 (AC: 16,12,14; HP: 20; Saves 4,2,3; Init +2, perc +2)

will save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 saved

With threats all around Variel takes the opportunity to attack the ice elemental before him to hopefully lmit the number of adversaries they must face. For the last time that day Variel imparts his magic upon his blade hoping that it is enough to help. Once done he attacks with the rapier chipping through the ice.

attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
damage1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Does Xanxan have an opening for a sneak attack on the fey he seemingly surprised?


Gabryjel will move in front of Aneria to protect their healer.

Moving to R:28.

He will take a shot with the alchemist fire that Aneira gave him...

Attacking Fey at P:24 for Touch Attack in Point Blank Shot distance. Penalties for range effect and weather in play -

Attack vs. touch
1d20 ⇒ 17

If it hits -
1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 = 7

Fey at Q:24 should take some fire damage, too, I think, if it hits, that is.


Xanxan the fey is not surprised by you just was unable to concentrate to defensively cast the spell it wanted. It is not flat-footed.

Gabe you can not use Deadly Aim with a splash weapon so your to hit is 1 higher but 2 less damage. You do manage to hit your target though. Like last time the fire is dong extra damage. Yeah new target.


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

Sheelah viciously rips into the elemental
Bite: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 1 = 7
for 1d6 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 2 = 7

Claw: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 - 1 = 10
for 1d4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 2 = 4

Claw: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 - 1 = 10
for 1d4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 2 = 6

Beck loads up his sling and whips a cold Iron bullet at the creature at P:24
Sling: 1d20 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 + 1 = 8
for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


AC 14; HP 14/14; Saves: F +2, R +3, W +5/+7; Melee 1, Ranged 2; CMB 1, CMD 12; Speed 30; Init +3; Perc +5 Half-Elf Female Winter Oracle/2

Not being able to do much from her current position but wanting to remain a safe distance in case she is required to heal, Aneira stays put behind Gabryjel for the time being. Once more she rifles through her pack, looking for the last flask of Alchemist's Fire. Her hand keeps missing it as it slips from her reach again and again. She finally grabs it and holds on, pulling it out (standard action) and hands it to Gabe (move action).

Through the wind and snow, she speaks to Gabe, "Your ability to throw and hit the creature is better than mine. This is my last flask, Gabe. Make it count."

Aneira now has no more Alchemist's Fire.


Aneira Whitestorm wrote:

"Your ability to throw and hit the creature is better than mine. This is my last flask, Gabe. Make it count."

He looks at her.

"Thanks! I'll do my best," he says with a grim voice as he looks at her with a nod.

See you guys later today!


If no word fom Venja or Xanxan by tonight I will bot them.


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan still can't hear a thing, and almost doesn't notice the fae that he stumbles upon, but decides to take a stab at it when he does.

And me without cold iron needles.

to hit with rapier: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
dmg: 1d4 ⇒ 3


GM stuff:

1d100 ⇒ 69

ice elemental attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 1d4 + 1 + 1d3 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (3) = 6

Troll intimidate on Variel, shaken 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 DC:13 +1/5 over

Recap of Round 2The coordinated efforts of those in the back of Aneira and GAbe manage to work quite effectively as Aneira keeps bringing out alchemist fires for Gabe to throw. Indeed, the throw from GAbe landed perfectly dousing the fey creature with fire and setting her alight. Even the fey next to her was affected by the fire a bit. Xanxan, trying to continue to press the advantage, stabs at the fey but finds his attack was just short of its mark (gnome joke, I couldn't resist). His fellow gnome with a tail struggled as well to find his target as the stone sailed on him passed the igloos and disappearing from sight. Sheelah, in pain from the slam from the ice elemental tries to claw and bite her way to sweet revenge. The icy exterior though does not give way to her powerful form. Variel tries to help Sheelah out and manages to do some damage but not enough to drop the elemental. Venja moves up cautiously and casts mage armor on herself protecting her somewhat from any attacks that may come her way.

Round 3

From somewhere overhead the sound can be heard of the fey Hommelstraub chanting words to a spell. What the result is no one can see, but the chanting continues the whole time.

The elemental continues to strike at Sheelah but her natural agility saves her this time from the attacks.

The troll moves up to within 30 feet of Variel and lets out a large bellow. Fool of a puny man. I shall suck the marrow from your bones and feast on your corpse tonight. The dire threat and implications shake Variel to the core as he is shaken for the next 3 rounds.

The two fey next to Xanxan know when they are the targets and both retreat around the front of the igloo to disappear back inside of it to recuperate from the fire damage done to them.

new map, good guys round 3

GAbe don't forget to roll damage for this round of alchemist fire.


Gabryjel looks at the troll with staggered eyes.

The scars on his chest and arm throb painfully as the memory of the old wounds at such beasts resonate with him on a powerful level, causing him to tremble on a nearly subconscious level as his muscles recall the suffering they endured during the battle which had almost claimed his life...

Even so, he steels himself and focuses his mind and tries to banish the pain.

Moving forward Moving to P:26 he glances to his allies and hefts the Alchemist Fire in his hand, looking at it for a moment.

"You were made for just such a moment... now burn that whore down!" he growls to the flask.

Attack (touch attack with -4 penalty for range factored in)
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14

If it hits -
1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

GM - question; the troll is a Large sized creature; Gabryjel is aiming for O:20. Would that mean the "Splash Effect" would also damage the squares the troll occupies at O:19 and N:20? If so, that should be another 2 points of damage to each square (not counting any other modifiers for using fire against trolls) correct?

Extra damage to Fey -
1d6 ⇒ 1

EDIT: Sorry guys, those rolls kind of sucked. I don't think that will do much damage, even to a troll. Still, I remember once when 3.0 came out and me and a buddy were both level 3 and had to fight a troll (the GM didn't understand how CR worked; thought we added level together to figure out the CR; back then it was CR 7, not a CR 5). Still, we won that fight (lots of very lucky rolls, I'll just say that). Anyhow, we may just be able to pull this off, too! Anyhow, good hunting, everyone; but if we manage to beat an actual troll on level 2, than that's pretty kick ass :)


No as it can only affect the target with the main direct hit. I believe it talks about that under the rules for splash weapons.


DM Variel wrote:
No as it can only affect the target with the main direct hit. I believe it talks about that under the rules for splash weapons.

Well, it says - If the target is Large or larger, you choose one of its squares and the splash damage affects creatures within 5 feet of that square. It doesn't specifically state if the splash damage effects various areas on a Large Creature, or just the creature, too. In other words I figured it needed a ruling on it (especially as the damage rolls sucked).

It's just that fighting a troll is kind of... challenging (and this doesn't count the Fey, too). I've fought them before on low levels. It really was hard. Any advantage we have would be very appreciated. I'm not a fan of rend is all :)


AC 19/11/18 (12/t11/ff11) ; hp 63/63; saves: F 5 R 4 W 9; bab 4, melee 4, ranged 5; CMB 4, CMD 15; speed 30; init +5; aasimar (peri-blooded) Witch (winter)-5/Winter Witch-4
skills:
Acro 2, appr 5, bluff 3, diplo 6, fly 12, heal 5, intim 7, Kn arcane 16(17), know planes 10, know history 10, know nature 10, kn local 9, ling 9, perc 14, sm 3, splcrft 16(17), stealth 1, UMD 11/+2 hut

Venja puts her hand on an alchemist's fire and readies to throw it if the troll moves in easy range of a throw, or hand it off to someone else if that would be better. delay until the right opportunity comes around

sorry for not posting but thread was not updating for me


HP: 41/59 AC: 18 Saves F:7/R:4/W:10 P:+14(17) Hungerseed (Oni-Tiefling) Arctic Druid 8 Sheelah HP: 15/33 AC: 20 (+4) F:6/R:9/W:4 P:+6

Sheelah keeps attacking the elemental before her, Slashing viciously at it

bite: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 3 - 1 = 15
for 1d6 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 2 = 8

claw: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 3 - 1 = 4
for 1d4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 2 = 4

claw: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 3 - 1 = 8
for 1d4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 2 = 6

and Beck steps up to P:25 as a double move.
Does being small affect move speed? It doesn't say it does in ALter Self, but i'm just checking


Male Elf Magus 2 (AC: 16,12,14; HP: 20; Saves 4,2,3; Init +2, perc +2)

Back I don't see anywhere that it affects speed so you are ok. GAbe the fire just hit the troll. Sheelah just missed as she was concentrating on damage over hitting (hint, hint on AC)

Variel continues to attack the ice elemental with the help of Sheelah. The troll's threats though cause his blow to be less than he normally is and he misses completely.

attack 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 - 2 = 7
damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


AC 14; HP 14/14; Saves: F +2, R +3, W +5/+7; Melee 1, Ranged 2; CMB 1, CMD 12; Speed 30; Init +3; Perc +5 Half-Elf Female Winter Oracle/2

Aneira hears the troll's bellow and threat upon Variel and moves to Q:26 and lifting her loaded crossbow (she loaded it in prior rounds before handing Gabe the Alchemist's Fires), shoots at the large troll.

Ranged Attack with light crossbow: 1d20 + 2 - 4 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 2 - 4 - 4 = 0

and her shot misses the creature completely.


As Xanxan prepares his next move, Gabryjel gives the troll a cold look; though whether that look is a result of his rage against the beast, or simply because it's so damn cold out by this blasted magical portal remains to be seen...

See you guys later today; and good luck, everyone!


GM stuff:

1d3 ⇒ 1

ma]


Male Gnome Rogue-4 (Saves-F+2,R+8,W+1; Perception +9(10 vs traps);HP 21/27)

Xanxan blinks as his foes simply retreat. He feels a bit like pouting and sighing. It's an igloo. I can't set fire to it and I don't have time to cover up the entrance. He turns his head slightly and is surprised to see an elemental!

Of course, he couldn't hear it, but still. Seeing Sheelah facing it down, the gnome decides to try a crossbow bolt at the foe.

To hit, penalty for firing into melee, plus weather minus: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (19) - 3 = 16

Dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 3

1 to 50 of 9,178 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Variel's Reign of Winter All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.