The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

The great captain Korius Merit, of the Paladine of Izmir, summons a group of warriors of the air to retrieve twelve evil artifacts; the legendary Abominations of the long-dead archmage Marianasu.


601 to 650 of 3,728 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min awoke with a shock, his hand gripping the hilt of his bastard sword for a moment before he forced himself to slowly let go. Even with Lin's words echoing in his mind, it took him several moments to remember where he was. He placed a hand shakily against her scales as her presence was one of the few things that could ground him in reality, the nightmare's were always so potent and intense, so much so that it was hard to know what was real and what was the dreaming. He fingered the small ring on his hand, it usually kept him from dreaming much but the exhaustion of the day before had kept him under too long.

He gave Lin a shaky smile, watching as she tore into her meal, as he ran his hand along her side once more as he admired her scales. {No need to apologize to me, I cannot complain after everything you did yesterday! Sadly I wasn't able to get the elk as promised but i'm glad you are eating just the same 'Veara. Hopefully I will have a chance to brush your scales before we leave again... And by the gods i'm famished, it has been too long since we flew for so long!} He ignores her rumbling laughter as he stands and stretches his sore muscles, it had been a very long time since they had ridden so long and fought so fiercely. Not since.... He quickly crushed down the memories the nightmare had summoned up and focused on eating something before his stomach consumed his insides.

He laddled up some soup and grabbed some bread with cheese for himself before sitting down for a meal besides Lin, he couldn't help but smile as she ate ravenously. He sadly would have to leave to meet the Warbanian Captain soon, but for now he was going to enjoy a meal in peace with his companion.

DRA:

Mean't to ask sooner but I wanted to make sure you didn't mind how we have been roleplaying our dragons thus far. I have tried not to over step myself by having her run off and perform tasks, I have been trying to make sure she has some personality especially since she isn't a horse :p. But its killer that your stepping in as well, it is alot of fun to change it up. =)

And just so you know~ I don't mind one bit because you are an awesome writer xD Sometimes you make me wonder if you are a novelist in disguise :p.

I am in the process of flying to work and I will be working nights, this time up my shifts are only going to be 12.5 hrs Woo fun! lol But at least I will be able to post a little more often. Just thought I'd warn you that I would be posting lightly tonight.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Having no memory of what happened quickly checks that he still has his armor and weapons.....

Once that is determined he assumes he can head for the food....

Without a word sits down to eat and drink ravenously......


For Min, On Dragons:
I don't mind how you've been RP'ing Lin at all, same goes for Syl and Ansrithar. I love the flavor and color it adds, and the bonds between riders and mounts/companions adds excellent richness, for everyone, honestly, but the dragons especially. To be honest you can go more over-the-top with it if you want, I mean, there's no reason Lin couldn't go flying off to complete other tasks or something. I don't mind that at all. You guys are Epic Heroes, remember, not sluggers, so never hesitate to think big. :-)

And...novelist? Me? Goodness sir you make me blush. I thank you for the compliment, profusely, but 'tis not so; I'm just a bloke. ^_^ But so but anyway, yeah; I remember you at some point mentioning that it was fine if I added some color for Lin here and there, so I thought this was an appropriate time. Plus you promised her such nice food I just had to let the poor girl get a nice reward, even if there's no elk to be had in the middle of the plains. :-)


@Min: on your way back to eat with Lin, you spy Belsarious sitting at the end of a table, tucking into some of the remarkably well-made and delicious food. If nothing else, you guys have eaten well so far on this mission, exhaustion be damned. Bel, you see Min, too.

You also spy the monk, Ana, eating with the survivors from the village. She smiles and raises a hand in greeting as you walk by. The villagers who came in on litters are looking very shaky, but resolute, and it's nice to see them downing hot, solid food. Brook is sitting by Ana, and he waves when he sees you trooping by with hands full of food. He darts away from the table and runs up. Brook is doing his best to keep a brave face, but you can tell he's distraught. "Lord Min! Sir! Have you, uh, that is...is Keythan in the stables, too? With uh with Lin? 'Cos I haven't seen Sir Damian and I was wondering if maybe you had? Maybe?"


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Taking Dolo's silence as a go-ahead, Damian takes a bit of dried meat from his pack. Slowly approaching the tiny dragonling, he holds the meat as a tasty offering. Quietly, he greets it. "Hello there, little guy. I'm Damian and that's my griffon Keythan you're using as a bed." He smiles broadly at the creature, hoping to win it over.

Handle Animal 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
Brook is doing his best to keep a brave face, but you can tell he's distraught. "Lord Min! Sir! Have you, uh, that is...is Keythan in the stables, too? With uh with Lin? 'Cos I haven't seen Sir Damian and I was wondering if maybe you had? Maybe?"

Min smiled and nodded respectively to Monk Ana. Theres a tough woman there... at least she'd have to be to survive that attack as well as she did. He turns and 'accidentally' bumps into Belsarious so he can get the man's attention before he leaves to eat with Lin.

He chuckles as he says to Belsarious "I would definitely store as much tuck as you can, for I believe we will be in for another rough fligh..." Min is cut short by the look on Brook's face as the boy comes running up and speaks his worries over Paladine Damian absence. He will make a good knight some day, especially with someone like Sir Damian to guide him. Min continues to smile as he speaks, trying to fill the poor squire with confidence. "I have yet to see them Brook, but I am confident in Sir Damian's abilities so long as he has Keythan, and his lance, there are few foes who can actually withstand his assault. I merely think they were delayed upon returning here and will meet us shortly. If you want you can spend time with Lin and I until he returns, i'm sure she would be delighted to speak with you. Well after she has gotten her fill of course." He waits patiently for the boys response, and also keeps an ear open to Belsarious as well, as he sneaks a few bites into a sweet roll.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

I am not certain what happened up there. One minute I figured I was safe from the poison and the next I have no memory of.....Maybe I was weaken from the high ritual and the unbonding, but now I feel stronger than even. Even the flow of magic seems more certain now."

"Thank you Min for getting me here!"


@Sir Damian: The wyverling opens one eye and looks at you. It yawns mightily, revealing rows of wicked little fangs. The more you look at it the more you feel that it's not a miniature dragon so much as large dragons are blown-up versions of wyverlings. The green-and-copper wyverling stretches its neck out and takes the meat you offer. It sits up, munches quietly with surprising manners, then regards you. You hear a pleasant voice, smooth of tone and precise of diction, begin speaking in the back of your head. "Thank you sir. Normally I would catch some birds or small rodents for breakfast but this is much easier. My name is Vel. Your companion is very warm, the nights have been strangely cold of late, so I feel very fortunate I found him and he was agreeable to sharing his bed. Or, perhaps more accurately, being a bed." He pauses. "I must repay your kindness, sir, will you follow me? We must fly, but I assume that will be no problem for you and your friend the gnome."


@Min: Brook looks somewhat downcast, but keeps his chin up. "I'd like that, Min! I would. I'm just...really worried I guess."


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian smiles at the dragonling, though the telepathic communication is uncomfortable for him. "I would love to, but we must decline. We have to meet up with our allies before the oncoming force arrives. Once we've eaten, we will set off in that direction."

He turns to Dolo. "Will you give me a hand with my armor?"


Vel bobs his tiny head in something not unlike a bow. "I understand sir. Very well. I will spread word of your kindness among my kin. If you find yourself needing a favor it is within our power to provide, you have but to ask." He lifts off of Keythan's back, causing the griffon to wake up with a start. "Safe flying to you. I believe you will find the path west of here quite clear." And with that Vel takes off to the south, flying low, a small green-and-copper missile streaking along over the endless miles of golden grains swaying in the morning breeze.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Min: Brook looks somewhat downcast, but keeps his chin up. "I'd like that, Min! I would. I'm just...really worried I guess."

Min's smile fades some, the boys worry reminded him of his younger days before he met Lin. He juggled the food easily enough, as he placed a hand on Brook's shoulder and gave him an encouraging smile Best to keep him distracted and busy until Sir Damian returns. "I have always preferred to remain in action then do nothing at all, especially if I am worried about something. But it also helps to stay busy and in no time at all Sir Damian will fly over these walls and be among us once more. In the mean time come and share a meal with us and I will show you some of the way to properly take care of a dragon. At least that way if Sir Damian asks what you were doing you can tell him your were training in his absence." Min gives him a sly wink as he takes back his hand and juggles his food some more. "Taking care of Lin is a lot of hard work but it is also a lot of fun as well. It is up to you my young friend, I also must congratulate you on the exemplary duties you performed in the aid of those wounded villagers. You were very brave in a most dangerous time and did well without much support from any of us, again, excellent work. We can talk more as we walk if you wish to meet Lin."


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"We are better served to re-group an look tah head again for tha accomplishment o tha mission."

"A war council should be held an help given to all, any advice an plans for meeting later, we will be straight out an back if we err lucky. What then are the others plans for war?"


@Min: Brook looks up at you and his expression is hard to read, but he at least seems genuinely interested in visiting Lin. "Do Lin's scales get cold or warm, or do they stay pretty much the same? Keythan is kind of like a horse so far in that he's always pretty warm. Or hot. It was nice when we were up high but it gets sweaty when we're in warm air."

@Belsarious: Ana, the monk from the village you helped save yesterday, is coming over to where you're sitting. She smiles and gives a little wave as she approaches. "We didn't get introduced yesterday, I don't believe. You were in the air the whole time. I'm Ana."

@Sir Damian: With Dolo's assistance you're able to get your armor back on pretty quickly, then once Glorfindel is summoned the two of you take off west to cover the last bit of distance to Hoppsville.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"Ana I am Belsarious Eldritch knight from the great trackless woods and recently came into a great many friends though I have spent most of my time alone. I am being rude again, please sit and stay for awhile."


@Belsarious: Ana smiles and sits down. "From The Woods, eh? I confess I've never met anyone who actually called that place home. Tell me, Belsarious, do you drink ale? Or do you not take any form of liquid spirits in your diet?"

@Dolo and @Sir Damian: The journey west is, as Vel indicated, quite clear, and it is in just a couple hours you find yourself approaching the walls of a reasonably large town, flying the flag of Warbane, which is always a welcome sign in these times. You notice ballistas and many crossbows in the towers and along the walls are trained on you, and a pair of well-armed and armored guards on the ground in front of the doors are hailing you, and indicating for you to land.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min listens politely as Belsarious speaks, before responding as he shakes his head regrettably. "As much as I would like to fly out to meet our missing brethren, I was told to meet Sir Damian here in Hoppsville and, in case they were forced to take another route, I would like for us to remain here until we get word from Professor Dolo that there has been a change in plans. Min pauses and looks thoughtful for a moment as he pondered Brook's question.

DM Downrightamazed wrote:

@Min: Brook looks up at you and his expression is hard to read, but he at least seems genuinely interested in visiting Lin. "Do Lin's scales get cold or warm, or do they stay pretty much the same? Keythan is kind of like a horse so far in that he's always pretty warm. Or hot. It was nice when we were up high but it gets sweaty when we're in warm air."

"Lin is quite warm to the touch, at least to me, but I don't think she ever leaves me feeling uncomfortable or lacking in any sense. Here in a few minutes you will be able to see for yourself, she is quite friendly and loves to entertain questions. But a word of warning though, be prepared to answer what you can about Izmer, she wasn't able to go out as much as we had hoped before we went off on this mission. So she may ask you many questions as well." Min look's back to Belsarious and nods to the Ana as she approaches.

"We are to meet the Guard Captain here shortly, I will come and get you when it is time. No rush my friend, come Brook~ It is time for your first lesson about Silver Dragons." Nodding politely to Ana as he excuses himself he heads back to where Lin is so he can finally get a bite to eat.

Brook:

Upon entering though, Lin looks back and feigns surprise at seeing Brook following Min. She rumbles pleasurably at having some more company, as Min sits down to get tuck into his breakfast. Upon hearing Brook's earlier question she regards the young squire seriously for a moment before finally speaking in as quiet as a voice that she could muster.

"Greetings Brook, my name is Lindórievórea, but you can call me Lin if it pleases you. Now we were made to understand in Izmer, that apparently young pages and squires weren't allowed to touch or interact much with dragons until they earned the 'privilege'. We wouldn't want to go against there teachings but Min and I have always been hands on when it came to learning, so if you wish to truly know you may come and place a hand on my side. She smiles slightly as she watches Brook's reaction.

Min quickly wolfed down his breakfast as Lin spoke with Brook. He planned on showing Brook the proper techniques of cleaning a dragon's scales with brushes, at least once Lin was done entertaining his questions.

As Brook moved about Lin continually kept an eye on the young squire as she watched him with open curiosity. It took her a few moments to finally speak "Is your training as a squire hard Brook? It is hard for me to understand a place as... orderly as Izmer, perhaps you could enlighten me if you would."


@Min: Brook looks at Lin with an air of...not awe, definitely, but then you wouldn't have expected that from a Page of Izmir, anyway. For even if they are not yet allowed to work with the dragons they certainly see them often enough to have learned to not be cowed, but still maintain a healthy respect for the ancient and powerful creatures.

"Well, " he begins, "...I was still just a page, which is the middle rank. You're too old to stay in the Primary Schools, but too young to do the really serious work of the Squires. It was Sir Damian made me a squire, for him and Keythan, which has already been better and worse than being a squire back home and I just started. I didn't...I shouldn't have...I didn't think I'd see dead people." The young boy's eyes are wide and a little wet. "It wasn't like the wounded, I see them all the time and they're grunting and making noise and there's blood but they're alive and fighting and things but those villagers last night, they were so still. They..." He looks over at you, Min, and his expression is one of remembered terror. "...they were so. still. Even the, the...and some of them had been..." Standing where he is, Brook looks down at the ground and makes what appears to be a supreme effort not to cry, but it's a losing battle. His shoulders shake and tears run silently down his cheeks, cutting little clear paths through the soot and dirt still on his face from last night's rescue. He inhales deeply but does not make any other sound. He just stands there quaking in the middle of the stable, his small fists clenched and his face a mask of grief as he stares at the hay and dirt.


Dolo is still not much for company as of late. He has taken sullen and introspective to a new level.

The trip back seems to be uneventful, which Dolo is eternally grateful for. With such a busy night previously, he is thankful.

As they approach the large, fortified town, Dolo signals to Glorfindel to land gently in front of the doors. He does his best to look non-threatening while coming in to land.

"Must be the welcoming committee."


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

@ Ana
"I lived there my whole life in one way or another, my people were killed by humans and I lived in the woods til taken in by a coven of hags, I am told tis an intersting life I have had but have scant anything to compare it with."

"What of yourself."

"And yes I will have a drink with you though most of my life has involved drinking from pure springs, pools of water, rain, and of course melting ice and snow."

"May whatever we drink warm us all!"


@Dolo:
Just want to make sure because it'll be significant later; you saw the spoilers that contained the results of your earlier Knowledge checks about the little dragon, right?


DR DRA:
Aye, I did see them. I was off-computer for most of the weekend. By the time I went to respond this morning, the opportunity to role-play it was gone. I did see it and will share it when it is appropriate. Thanks for the heads-up!


@Belsarious: The monk nods. "It's terrible to be driven from one's home. That's one reason this town -- and others west of here -- are so fortified now. It was never necessary until...well, until people saw what happened down in Hallas. They swore the same wouldn't happen here. As for drink..." Ana takes a growler off her belt. You notice she has several aleskins. "I'm a member of a new Order of monks, followers of Cayden Cailean, workers of the land and defenders of each individual's freedom; The Order of Amber, or the Caileanic Fists we are known as, and one of our main tenets is that all of our brothers and sisters should be caretakers of the land, and know how to brew ales and cultivate wines, both for use simply as beverages, and in battle. You being a magic user of some sort, by my guess, I am curious what effects my ales might have on you. I'm expecting none, but I've never had a willing guinea pig before. Will you try one? This is a simple healing ale, no more, so at worst it should just taste good, but at best it should have the ability to heal you of any wounds or lingering poison effects." She pours you a small mug of ale and pushes it towards you. It does smell quite nice; very frothy and creamy and golden.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"You are correct I have long been a spellcaster an only recently focused on the fighting arts, though my father taught me to use this bow and curve blade afore he was murdered."

Tastes the ale offered....

"I have no prohibition upon my actions though of late they seem unchanged survival, no more no less, though most realize it not in every situation that is the goal, you do not have to win, it does not matter if you lose, it is you must survive!"

Finishes the drink...

"A fine potion!"


@Belsarious: It actually is a fine ale. A little worse the wear for spending so long in a leather aleskin, perhaps, but quality nonetheless. Moreover, as you drink it, you feel a distinct, earthy healing energy wash through you, energizing your mind and lifting your spirits.

Any fatigue or tiredness is gone, and if you weren't there already you're back at full HP.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
DM Downrightamazed wrote:
He just stands there quaking in the middle of the stable, his small fists clenched and his face a mask of grief as he stares at the hay and dirt.

Min had seen this coming, he had hoped to keep it at bay by introducing something new and using positive reinforcement, but he had only provoked it by giving the boy praise. He cursed silently at his own foolishness as he set his bowl aside and started to rise. As he stood up he felt the bond shift and paused as Lin rose up quickly and moved towards the boy with a single graceful stride. She slowly extended her wings until she had them up against brooks back and as she sat down near him she slowly brought him in and pressed him gently against her scale chest as she cooed softly too him. She tried to be as quiet as she could as she spoke, a deep rumble emanating from her chest as she said "You let it all out young one, hold nothing back I am here to listen.". She continued to rumble softly as she held Brook against her her smooth warm scales, she looked over at Min with one great eye as they started to communicate silently through the bond.

Min leaned against the stable wall as he berated himself {I caused this by giving too much praise for what he did back in the village.}

Lin tilted her head as she continued her soft cooing she had slowly started to rock back and forth, swaying gently with Brook to comfort him. {I have room to comfort one more if you want~} She raised one of her powerful limbs and beckoned Min with one of her claws, giving him a toothy grin as she teased him, before looking back to Brook with a tinge of sadness touching her eyes. {He is much like when we first met, neither of us had killed before and we did so that day just to survive. At least I am thankful he didn't have to fight or kill, but I have no doubt he would have done whatever he had to to protect one of the villagers... He just needs plenty of time and patience so this will pass easily, I am glad he does this here because we will not judge him harshly, but you need to go and meet the Captain before they become impatient.}

Min nodded as he quietly made his way out of the stables and back to Belsarious's side looking like a thunderhead for a few moments as he made his way. But as he walked though he could feel the warm feelings flowing through the bond and couldn't help but smile. {She has always been more motherly then I, Brook is in good hands. Nodding respectfully to Ana again Min smiles at seeing a tankard in Belsarious hand.

"I see you needed no second bidding my friend!" He laughs lightly full of mirth as he continues. [smaller]"Whenever you are ready we will go meet the Captain, in the mean time I will check on the villagers and see how they are doing. Also thank you again Ana, without your assistance... I don't think i'd be here today, at least not in one piece. No, I would be running for my life in the woods and Lin would have escaped with the children as well...


Huge Female Silver Dragon 9 HP 79/79 DR 5/magic AC-28, T-12, Flat-26, F+9, R+8, W+8 Init +2; Senses: Darkvision (120 feet), Low-Light Vision, Scent; Per +13

She did her best to soothe the poor squire as best she could, it was sad to see him like this especially after how well he had carried himself during the battle. But when it rains, it pours. She continued her soft cooing and she even hummed an old lullaby that she used for Min when his nightmares were especially grim. It was why he wore that ring of his, if he did not sleep long he could avoid dreaming, avoid the dream and he avoided the pain of remembering. She strongly disliked some of the items he used...

Once Brook began to calm down, Lin began to speak softly to him. "Do not feel embarrassed, or ashamed, because... Well you and Min are a lot alike. You both try and remain strong in the face of hardship and around your allies, but when you finally find yourself alone your troubles rise up and they prove difficult to overcome. If you ever need someone to speak with the two of us will always be ready to listen, you are not alone Brook."

She watches him for a few moments curious at his reaction and hopeful that the worse is over. She felt Min's foul mood change to a more positive feeling, she sighed thankfully.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Swooping down on Keythan, Damian lands next to the guards with Dolo following. "I am Sir Damian Lamorak. I hope our allies found their way here safely with a warning about the oncoming army. This is Professor Dolo Luckbender."


Comforted by the warmth and majesty of Lin's presence, Brook allows himself to curl up under her wing. As he fall quickly asleep he whispers "Please don't...tell...S-sir Damian...I...cr-cried..." Noting the dark half-circles under the boy's eyes, Lin realizes he has, in all likelihood, not slept a wink all night, whether out of worry or terror or some other reason. But he is sleeping now, his slim frame utterly slack and his breathing regular.

@Sir Damian and @Dolo: As you land, the lead Warbanian steps forward. Sir Damian instantly recognizes him as being an NCO in this group, possibly a platoon leader. Even while sitting on Keythan, the giant Mercenary towers over the Cavalier. Before speaking, he salutes Sir Damian smartly. "Hello sir, I am Jimoyo Gathee, watch captain. Your order is known to my people, and you and the professor are welcome here. You will find your companions inside." Jimoyo walks alongside the two of you as you head to the massive iron doors set into the siege wall. "Tell me something. About this army you speak of; did you encounter any Black Dragonflight soldiers, or signs of same, on your way here this morning? In addition to your friends' warnings, our scouts had confirmed a company of enemy troops was on the move as recently as six hours ago, but now there is no sign of them, not even corpses."

@Min and @Belsarious: You notice the giant metal doors of the fort open. Sir Damian, Keythan, Dolo, and Glor are walking in. Sir Damian is speaking to the Watch Captain. The Platoon Captain, with whom you are to meet, is heading to your table as well.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Raises his mug upon seeing the companions enter and continues to enjoy some hot stew, though his hunger has long since been sated..

(To Ana)
"My traveling companions have arrived!"


Huge Female Silver Dragon 9 HP 79/79 DR 5/magic AC-28, T-12, Flat-26, F+9, R+8, W+8 Init +2; Senses: Darkvision (120 feet), Low-Light Vision, Scent; Per +13
DM Downrightamazed wrote:

Comforted by the warmth and majesty of Lin's presence, Brook allows himself to curl up under her wing. As he fall quickly asleep he whispers "Please don't...tell...S-sir Damian...I...cr-cried..." Noting the dark half-circles under the boy's eyes, Lin realizes he has, in all likelihood, not slept a wink all night, whether out of worry or terror or some other reason. But he is sleeping now, his slim frame utterly slack and his breathing regular.

As Brook curls up against her, she continues her soft humming repeating the old lullaby, she slowly covers him with one of her wings as he mumbles his innocent request. Once he was sleeping soundly she sighed softly as she rumbled pleasurably at the thought that Brook was feeling better at least. "It shall be our secret, sleep well brave Brook..." She yawns powerfully before curling up with the young page, she was still feeling tired from flying so much and it was nice to have some company while she slept.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min turns at Belsarious's shout and smiles as he spots Sir Damian and Professor Dolo are approaching their table. As he started to speak though he paused as he felt a slow change in the bond with Lin, it took him a moment to figure out what had happened and soon his smile began to broadened as he realized Lin was falling asleep. Brook must be feeling better then, at least Lin will get some more rest as well. Gods know she earned it...

Giving a salute to the approaching pair Min remains standing as he speaks to Damian "It is good to see you two, we made it back without any more trouble from our enemies and the villagers appear to be shaky but on their feet at least. I did try to warn the watch here of the possibility of that force coming to strike Hoppsville. We are to speak with the Platoon Captain soon... there he is now." Min points to the approaching Platoon Captain.

Gesturing to the food laden table Min continues to speak quickly before the Captain's arrival. "I think you should get some tuck before they take it away gentlemen and sorry for leaving you behind Professor Dolo. I look forward to hearing your wisdom again sir... I do have one question though, if you will humor me, what type of fantastic creature is your companion?"


Ana pours Belsarious a refill of ale, but only a half-mug this time. "After all," she smirks, "don't want you getting tipsy or anything. But I am very interested in what you think of this one." She then rises from the table and greets the rest of the party. To Dolo and Sir Damian she says "Hello again. I am glad you made it. It was a strange journey for me, there were things in the ground, strange noises, and many odd shapes in the air. I know not what happened, but it certainly kept me on edge. Did you experience anything similar? Oh, and I don't believe we've met; I am Ana Abasi, a sister of the Caileanic Fists." She extends her rough hand to Dolo in greeting.

As Ana is finishing her statement, the Warbanian platoon captain walks up. He is wearing lighter armor, and the insigne and markings on his uniform clearly indicate superior rank. Even if he were in peasant's clothes, however, it would be obvious that here was a man of tremendous stature. He is a little short for a Warbanian -- just 6'6" -- and while his head is shaved in that culture's common fashion his beard is a spectacular gray-and-white color, standing in stark contrast to his dark skin. He salutes Sir Damian, then speaks to all of you.

"Hello, and welcome to Hoppsville. Please; feel free to continue eating as we speak. I do not stand on unnecessary formality. Besides, technically this is just a firebase, so I have some leeway in communication and debriefing protocol. I am General Mwosa. I took the liberty of speaking with the villagers in order to gain some insight as to what happened last night, they say they never heard the Black Dragonflight coming, that the orcs just appeared in their midst and attacked. So I wish to ask you, is this thing possible? Were the orcs possessed of great magic? What is your opinion of the situation? I would also like to know if you saw any enemy soldiers on your way in this morning. Our scouts swore they saw a heavy cavalry company on the move in the pre-dawn hours, but they have since vanished. Is there anything any of you can tell me about this?"


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Drinks the ale and watches Ana step away....

"Fine figure o a woman!"


Dolo shakes the offered hand of Ana. "Pleased to meet you milady. Indeed, strange things are afoot. I have learned some valuable information since we last were together." As with most professors, Dolo throws out the bait and waits for a big fish to bite before continuing. He begins to eat some food since he has eaten nothing but hard tack and leather-tasting water since leaving Izmir. Once he has everyone's attention, he stands on his chair and speaks.

"First things first. Sir Damian and I saw a Wyverling this morning. It is a fairly commonly accepted theory amongst academics and cryptozoologists that Wyverlings are the original dragons of The Land, and a strain of them were bred via magic to be large dragons. Unfortunately this breeding polarized their temperaments and moral compasses, leading to huge dragons of a single color that were either all good or all bad, instead of being more morally complex. While friendly, they have tended, historically, to stick to themselves; seeing one is said to be a sign of tremendous good luck. Additionally, it is very common for extraordinary individuals to either have Wyverling companions, familiars, or to be close to someone with such a companion. They are a sort of an indicator of historical significance, of greatness even."

Dolo used his diplomacy and presentation skills to keep everyone's attention.

"The one we met invited us to journey a bit with it but we had to beg off due to our urgent mission. It did indicate that the way here would be clear of enemies. Now, bear in mind that many of us saw what we believed as evidence of a large contingent of Blackdragon soldiers marching this way. If you say they are missing, then my first guess would be extraordinary magic was involved. Perhaps by this Wyverling we met."

Dolo finishes his speech and turns to the General. "My guess is that we have unknown allies in this war and we should use the respite as best we can. I have more information but I was hoping to hear more on what happened while I was away."


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian listens to the gnome's explanation before adding his own. "We can perform some aerial reconnaissance for you to ensure that they are gone, but we saw nothing on our way in. We must be heading onward to our mission shortly." He happily scarfs down a quick meal, enjoying something other than the dried meat of his trail rations. "The Dragonflight's relentless advances require constant vigilance to avoid being wiped from the map. Your people have done an extraordinary job thus far. We thank you for taking in the survivors that we were able to save from the village."

Standing up, Damian heads to the stables. "Where is Brook, and also the others? We must all figure out what to do next."


Dolo looks at Sir Damian, a pained look on his face. "Pardon, but we just sat down and I have other news to share that is of vital importance to this council." pleads Dolo.

Dolo reaches into his pouch and pours out several of the coins he took from the Marrash warrior.

"We were attacked directly out of Izmir by flying demon warriors. We killed or drove most of them off. When we split, another group of them arrived on the butte where I was resting. I managed to take out the same one I had glitter-dusted in our previous encounter. I found these coins." Dolo picks one up and shows everyone the markings. "They are stamped with the marque of Baron Ormir, a noble in Van-Monnen, in the forgelands. Can anyone tell me why this is?"


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Hearing that the enemy had vanished without explanation, causes his blood to run cold for a moment. He finally understood how they had come up upon them so quickly after spotting them at a great distance. Dolo's words though caught his attention and he had really wished he could have seen this Wyverling although them being the 'original' dragons made him smile musingly at how Lin would react to that. His tone as he was serious and business like. "Well Met Captain, I personally saw that when we were fighting in the village the enemy calvary was hours off, but then all of a sudden they went from being almost three hours away to being nearly on top of us in a matter of a few minutes... But now i'm starting to understand that not everything is as is seems in these plains on the accounts of my comrades here. To answer your question though, the vile vanguard that had attacked the villagers showed no great magic at all, just a bunch of thugs in armor that ran when they lost their commander in the first few moments of engaging them. Even the Marrashi that we battled didn't possess anything more then their arrows and inability to push us back."

edit: Just saw Damian's post

Looking to Sir Damian Min nods politely before speaking. "Brook is with Lin at the moment, I thought to keep him busy and teach him something in your short absence, he was worried for your safety but I assured him you would be here promptly with dolo. I hope we did not over step ourselves, also I think he is sleeping at the moment as Lin herself has apparently dozed off..." Min's smile dims a bit before he speaks again. "Squire Brook did appear to be quite fatigued sir, hopefully it is alright to give him a couple hours of rest before we bring him back into service."


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian looks down at Dolo, a flash of anger on his normally calm face. "Weren't you the one who was so intent on pressing on that you flew ahead alone?" He sighs, letting the frustration out. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Allow me a moment to check on my squire and gather everyone together so that you can deliver your news." Damian continues over to the stable, beckoning Keythan forward for a bit of special treatment before they set off again. He spots the dragon protectively holding Brook in his wing and smiles in thanks that the boy is all right. Quietly, he thanks the gods and lets him sleep. He sets off to find the rest of the group (which appears to simply be Syl and her dragon, now that he's located Lin and Brook) and gather them together.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"But now the fellowship has reunited and we still have much to do, this is only the second item we go after and how many more journeys do you imagine must be to end tha threat we have planned already and have no further time to plan we must act and act quickly do you not understand what tha unleashed magic will do to each of us to wyverlings to everyone and everything."

Very quietly....

"We may have to let a village go or a kingdom or an individual tha cost will be great no matter, we can not come out unscathed."


General Mwosa looks stunned as Dolo holds up the coins from Van-Monnen. "This...this is shocking to me, Professor Luckbender. Baron Ormir is known as a great man. He is a vital contributor to the University of Stormfare, and a well-liked leader of his people. His wolfguards help gather intelligence on the movement of giants and white dragons, and his army aids in keeping trade routes clear from the dwarven mine-kingdoms all the way down the coast as far as the port of Nouakchott. His city-state is a rare bastion of civilization in the otherwise inhospitable near north. You say this was in the coinpurse of a Marrash? This must be investigated. May I have one of the coins?"


Belsarious:
The beer Ana gave you is almost kind of...spicy. Like red pepper spicy. You feel an odd gathering of magical energy within yourself. You also feel kind of gassy, to be honest.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
Belsarious II wrote:
"We may have to let a village go or a kingdom or an individual tha cost will be great no matter, we can not come out unscathed."

Min's previous good cheer was gone like leafs in a storm, his response to what Belsarious had said is cold and empty emotion as he reacts rather poorly. "I hope I misheard you comrade... His eyes were like steel as he flexed his hands idly. He takes a shaky breath as he turns and waits to hear the news about what Dolo had found in their absence.

As the Captain speaks Min's anger subsides some but he is still boiling as he spoke, his voice almost grating. "Does the Baron have forces in this region? Perhaps the coins were taken from a poor soldier? Those Marrash, i'm sure, have been fighting more then just us..."


Responding to both Min and the General, Dolo elaborates. "I am in no way implying guilt. This is a lead that I feel needs to be investigated. Bear in mind that I found 52 such coins of gold. If they were silver, I would call it spoils of war, but gold?". Dolo pauses for effect, letting each listener draw his own conclusion.

"We cannot perform the investigation as we must be off soon. However, if you can get word out to look into this, I would appreciate it."


The General shakes his head at Min's question. "Not to my knowledge, Min. I will grant it's perfectly possible he could have troops nearby that we don't know about -- while he's generally helpful and forthcoming, he's certainly under no requirement to inform us of his troop movements. In addition, we haven't been looking for intelligence operatives like Wolfguards because we had no reason to, so it's also possible they're near but we just haven't seen them because they are incognito."

Turning to Dolo, but also addressing the whole group, he continues. "I will put out orders and pass the word along that we should seek to find any of Baron Ormir's soldiers that may be about, and question them if we do. We will of course keep things friendly at this point since as the Professor says we have no reason to presume collusion, but still; we would know what they are doing, if they are here, and what they might know about an extraplanar disease-warrior carrying a healthy amount of the Baron's gold."


Dolo nods in agreement with the General's statement. He counts out several of the coins and hands them to the general - seven coins to be exact. "Use these in whatever manner you wish to aid in your investigation. Your plan is quite sound and I thank you for looking into this General."

Dolo continues small talk and eating until the rest of his comrades return.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
Dolo Luckbender wrote:

Responding to both Min and the General, Dolo elaborates. "I am in no way implying guilt. This is a lead that I feel needs to be investigated. Bear in mind that I found 52 such coins of gold. If they were silver, I would call it spoils of war, but gold?". Dolo pauses for effect, letting each listener draw his own conclusion.

"We cannot perform the investigation as we must be off soon. However, if you can get word out to look into this, I would appreciate it."

"Sounds good Captain, if I can provide any assistance please let me know, good luck in your investigation. My apologies Professor Dolo I will go and check on my companion and see if she is rested enough to continue the journey." Which she isn't. "Excuse me gentlemen, I have some people to check on before I head back to the stables. With a respectful nod he excuses himself and heads over to where the villagers are and tried to smile as he greets them.

"I'm glad to see you all up and about, I am hoping the boy is alright? He... he appeared to be taking it quite hard last I saw him." Realizing he hadn't even introduced himself yet, he shook his head and sighed. With a broader smile he proffered his hand and introduced himself to those present. "None of you may know me but my name is Min, my comrade was Lindórievórea the Silver dragon you may have seen."


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"I said tha price will be steep but must be paid, I realize tha even now the consquences will be dire indeed for all, imagine tha globe in tha hands o tha enemy, imagine food drying up for us all in perpetual winter, except for tha foods grown by tha same enemy working in vast fields as slaves toiling tah feed an army o evil, while those working against starve, through tha winter without end."


@Maiathreen and @Livain: You have been running for so long now, you have almost forgotten what you're running from. It is only the dreams, the nightmares, that keep the memory alive in your head and your heart and bring you, sweating and gasping, to a rude wakefulness in the deep night.

You remember a pen chained to an inkwell.
You remember cuffs and chains.
You remember them writing on you.
You remember ink that formed letters of shadow that burned into your flesh.
You remember the voices. Gods, the voices.
You remember the mouth in the sky.

Flying, endless flying, and now the mountains. You were going west, maybe to Warbane, maybe to the iron wastes of the Forgelands. Anywhere to be safe, to start anew, or just to escape the madness of the dreams, but the dreams do not stop, no matter how far you get. Now a storm has come up, horrid and cold and fierce, with crushing winds that push you into mountain peaks and make movement impossible. You have hunkered down for the night in a cave mouth, somewhere high in the Mana mountains in northern Hallas. Sheltered from the wind it is easy enough to make a fire, but it doesn't stop the suddenness of this storm from giving you pause; there should be no winter this far south, much less a blizzard like this.

As you are eating...:
...a mix of some poor frozen high-mountain creature, stiff grasses, and what you had left in your personal stores, there is a strange crinkling rustle, and you see strips of metal begin to move through the very rock itself, like a thing alive! Your cave is vaguely ovoid; 50' across and 30' deep, and with a ceiling 40' up at its highest point. The metal is moving at a fairly rapid speed, and its undulations are hypnotic. You both hear a voice. It is a low his, strained and sinister, and it seems to be coming from across a thousand different planes. While not exactly the same, it is quite similar to the voices in your nightmares. "...mmmmmmmssssssssssssstrrrannnge ellllvessssssss...yyyyyyouuu whhooooooo ssssshoould nnnnnot beeeeeeeeeeee...hhhhhheeearrr ussssssssss...


@Belsarious: Fort save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
As you are sitting there, you feel a tremendous rumbling in your tummy. Ana appears to hear it as well, and her eyes light up. She steps next to you and turns your head up and to one side.

@Everybody: You all see Ana adjust Belsarious' head, and then the eldritch knight lets out a tremendous belch and a 10' cone of flame shoots forth some 15' from his mouth. Ana literally jumps up and down with glee. "It worked! It worked!" She takes the growler of ale off her belt and gives it to Belsarious. "We of the Order of Amber are brewmasters, and we make ales that increase the potency of our Ki flow, but it is also a goal to make ales that help those who cannot access their ki directly. Like the healing ale I gave you earlier, or like this one! It is Dragon's Breath Ale, and anyone can use it, but only once a day! Any more than that would be too hard on your insides." She looks at you all, smiling, clearly pleased with herself. "Any of you can use it! Really! It'll teach some enemy a hard lesson about getting too close, that's for sure."

General Mwosa is roaring with laughter. "Excellent! What a gift! Tremendous! Tell me Sister, how soon can you begin brewing these fine ales for my men? And Belsarious! Do you feel okay?" Shaking his head and returning to the task at hand, the General says "Professor, Sir Damian. We will continue to defend these lands and we will seek inquiry into Baron Ormir's possible interest in these lands. You are welcome to stay, all of you, but let me know if you think you will stay long, as we will expect you to assist with work. Otherwise, you are free to leave whenever you wish, and may you succeed in your mission."

@Belsarious:
You have a bit of indigestion, but otherwise you're fine. It felt weird and was definitely not something you'd want to do with any frequency; those flames were HOT!

@Min:
Lin is still stone-cold asleep.

601 to 650 of 3,728 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.