The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

The great captain Korius Merit, of the Paladine of Izmir, summons a group of warriors of the air to retrieve twelve evil artifacts; the legendary Abominations of the long-dead archmage Marianasu.


551 to 600 of 3,728 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Male Human Battle Herald 11

Round 5, Initiative 23

Ride 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32

Damian: Charge, Lance vs. Marrash #1 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (9) + 17 = 26
--> Damage 3d8 + 48 ⇒ (8, 1, 4) + 48 = 61

Another charge and Damian fells the creature that shot at him. Only a few remain to threaten the villagers. "Once they are down, I want one of you to scout the incoming army and retrieve Luckbender!"


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Fortitude saves
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Trying tah poison me tha bastards!"


Sir Damian levels another enemy, reducing their number to three. Immediately after that, Belsarious nails one with an arrow. Ansrithar then steps in with another charge, furious at the enemy that wounded him. Again the marrash is gashed and gouged by the dragon's teeth.
DMPC Ansrithar
Round 5
Ansrithar Charges
Attack - Bite 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 8 + 2 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Min, you are up, sir!


Female Dragonrider 4/ Paladin of Sarenrae 3

I'm sorry that I haven't kept up. College decided to slam me with assignments, and even now I'm pressing to get it done before tonight. I'll try to post later today or tomorrow, but no guarantees. Will be back as soon as I can!


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

@Syl NP dude, we assumed you had college stuff bogging you down, so we are roling with the punches shall we say. =D Kick @$$ at your studies we will see you later~ I hope~ xD

Round: 5 Ini: 13
HP totals: Min 30/44, Lindórievórea 58/63
Min AC: 20 (Normal Bonuses - Shield), Lin AC: 22 (Normal Bonuses)
Focus (Full Round Action): Not Done. Move Action only
Current Effects: Resist Cold 5 (Constant)
Fly Check, DC 5 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Min Actions: FAA on Marrashi #5 (Red Block with -30 hp)
Thistle Arrow Attack 1 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Thistle Arrow Attack 2 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Thistle Arrow Damage 1 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Thistle Arrow Damage 2 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Thistle Bleed 1 1d6 ⇒ 4
Thistle Bleed 2 1d6 ⇒ 6

After taking a deep breath, to help steady his aim, Min lets loose another set of arrows at his previous target. Although as he draws back on the second arrow the pain in his side causes him to falter and, let loose too early, the arrow veers off into the trees. He barely held back a foul oath at the thought of wasting an arrow like that, but seeing the state his enemy was in he frowned. Even he didn't like the idea of seeing a creature bleeding out, friend or foe, but it was the sad cost of war.

Min's thoughts were grim as they began to turn away from the soon to be dead Marrashi. {People fought and people died, that Marrashi's death would be no different.}

Lin gave the creature one last look before turning towards the east side of the village to head off the enemy that was circling around their defensive screening. They couldn't let them get past or else more villagers would perish as a result.


Sylsalitae Dwinghymnaear wrote:
I'm sorry that I haven't kept up. College decided to slam me with assignments, and even now I'm pressing to get it done before tonight. I'll try to post later today or tomorrow, but no guarantees. Will be back as soon as I can!

No worries my friend, take care of business and come back when you can. Thanks for the heads up, though; it is much appreciated! :-)

The massive amounts of combined damage are too much for Marrash #5 to withstand, and with an oddly sad keening noise, it falls roughly to the ground, still bleeding badly from the puncture wounds caused by Min's arrows.

The last two Marrashi take a quick look around and then immediately withdraw, fleeing to the Northeast as fast as their wings will take them. By your estimates, you have at least a few minutes before whatever force is coming is within range to attack.

It is late, and you all are starting to tire.

On the ground, Brook is still frantically engaged with building litters. Two are complete, so he's only one more to do. The monk, Ana, is gathering things from some of the huts, surrounded by a field of pure ki energy as she dives into the burning structures and then quickly back out. Seeing the Marrashi retreating, she hails Damian and Min, motioning for them to land.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"Some force approaches and yet we have a mission tha is hampered by engaging tha enemy, though it is satisfying tah fight back against those so willing to pursue me so relentlessly an when tha odds were stacked in their favor, but now I have companions tha help me."

Might be good to heal up everyone before anything else happens....

DM

Spoiler:

How do you want to handle that? do you just want to say how many charges to take off the wand and go from there or roll in game?

I will go with whatever works for you? At this point it is not as much of a limited resource as it will be further in game.....


@Dolo: The metallum reaches out to you, grasping your hand surprisingly gently. The living metal is warm and very smooth.

There is a flash, and you are standing on a blasted, desiccated plain.:
(Something like this.) The ground is pure rock, but the rock is wan and monochrome. The land is completely flat, the sky is black and starless save for four red dots, making the horizon appear as a perfectly straight, clear line in the distance. You are rooted to where you stand, and you are hungry. You are so hungry you can barely stand, your body feeling utterly empty and cavernous. You are afraid, also, and stretching your consciousness out, seeking, looking, before it can, before it can find you, before...

...but you are too late. The four dots suddenly expand to be moon-sized eyes, glowing menacingly. Mouths open and you realize the skies are things alive, and they are coming for you. The nightshade beasts from the shadow plane are here for you. To consume you.

Then, at the last possible moment, a remote tendril of your consciousness encounters a rich and living place that you can inhabit. Using the last of your energy to open a door between the planes you practically fall into the rock, and as you eat, you feel horrid biting stings striking you, there are short, squat flesh beings striking at you with dead metal. You defend yourself, but lay back into the rock, gorging yourself on the rich, magic-filled ore, so pure, so strong, so healthy, and so far from the haunting shadow beasts.

There is another flash, and you are back in your mind and body, standing alone atop the blasted butte in the Plains of Bennalad. You are still hungry, intensely so, but the Metallum is gone. There is a dagger at your feet that is entirely plain in appearance, but the blade is supernaturally sharp. It is made of the dead flesh of the Metallum Aeternum.

A gift, perhaps? A bribe?

If you choose to keep it, this dagger just does the normal 1d4 damage, but it has a hardness of 30, 50HP and always strikes at touch AC.


Belsarous:
I'd say let's go ahead and roll the UMD checks/HP rolls, etc.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"Alright Min an Lin do you need some healing?"

Use magic device rolls.....

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Cure moderate wounds rolls.....

2d8 + 3 ⇒ (3, 8) + 3 = 14
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 7) + 3 = 16
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1) + 3 = 8
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 8) + 3 = 19
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (2, 2) + 3 = 7

Applying rolls to Belsarious first then Min and Lin and check to see if more is needed!


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

DRA:

Min has Muleback cords, but I was wondering whether or not I could put them on Lin to increase her carrying capacity. Because If I could she would theoretically be able to carry up to 2100 lbs. Then we could tie the litters up to her feet and she could fly with them beneath her. >=) First class rescue mission lol. But I wanted to run it past you before I type something up that wouldn't work.

The only thing it says is that it takes up a shoulder slot on the wielder. But here is the official text.

Official Text:
Muleback Cords

Source: Advanced Player's Guide

Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd

Slot shoulders; Price 1,000 gp; Weight 1/4 lb.

Description
These thick leather cords wrap around the wearer's biceps and shoulders; when worn, they make the muscles appear larger than normal. The wearer treats his Strength score as 8 higher than normal when determining his carrying capacity. This bonus does not apply to combat, breaking items, or any other Strength-related rolls except the amount of equipment or material the wearer can carry.

Min @ 30/44 Hp Lin @ 58/63
I think Min and Lin were the worst wounded out of everybody lol, I think anyways =) thanks Bel.

Lin flaps her powerful wings, her breaths are coming more labored then before, its obvious the powerful dragon is tired. Yet she continued to fly uncomplaining, as her and Min shared a long moment of quiet communication through their bond. Min takes another shallow breath as the pain in his side lance's through him and along his chest, every breath he takes is slow and labored. He stares at the nearing flame, his face a blank mask as he and Lin continue to just fly in position.

Min finally lowered his bow, the fleeing enemies weren't worth wasting arrows on and as he took a quick count of his remaining arrows he frowned. He had almost used up half his arrows in only day, this wasn't going to be good if they kept having protracted battles like this. Soon he would be reduced to fighting with his blade on Dragonback...

He looks to what Brook and the villagers had constructed thus far to carry out the wounded, hoping that they had at least put something together in the short time they had left. The enemy was too close for comfort...

"Sir Damian, do you think that we can possibly fly the wounded out by tying the litters together and using both our dragons strength or are we going to engage the enemy to buy you the time to flee?"

The pair look weary but eager, Lin's eyes seem ablaze with battle fury and although Min appears wounded he is checking the draw on his bow and the straps on his armor.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian lands his mount next to Ana, dismounting quickly and surveying the group of survivors. He extends a hand to the female monk. "I am Sir Damian Lamorak of the Order of the Silver Flame. By order of Captain Merit of Izmir, I am in charge of this mission. We will escort you and your people to the nearest town, to ensure your safety. How ready are they to travel?"

He tries to judge Min's question, but it's out of his scope as a soldier. "It sounds like a good idea to me, but I have no idea if it is feasible. It seems like the kind of thing that Luckbender would be able to determine. We very much need to retrieve him and get moving. Our of our three mounts, I believe that Kython is the fastest. I can head to the butte that he was going to land on, heading over the coming army. This would give us the additional benefit of getting an idea of their number. Once we've determined how we are going to evacuate the survivors of this town, Min will be in charge until I return."


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min nodded his thanks to Belsarious as the wand the man wielded helped to erase his previous wounds, even Lin shuddered as the magic in the wand warmed her scales. With renewed vigor Min nodded to Sir Damian, Lin slowly descended into the village. Once they had landed he dismounted and saluted Brook in the Izmerian fashion, or close to it, the boy deserved respect. The boy had done extremely well, but the enemy was coming too quickly to waste anymore time.

He addressed anyone who was mobile and asked the same question, as he looked around the ruins quickly himself to make sure they hadn't missed anything. "Other then these litters are there any horses or carts that remain alive and intact? Because we need a way to get them out of here quickly and stay ahead of the enemy to avoid the return of their vanguard. Lets get this figured out and Quick!"

He surveyed the area taking count of those who were still mobile, the wounded and those who could fight. He went upto the thug he had killed earlier, he checked the dead leader for any useful items or gear that could prove useful.


Seeing as how the reality of rest continues to elude Dolo on this butte, he elects to meet up with his fellowship. He understands that if he continues the folly of attempting this mission alone, it will fail as surely as going off-track for other missions.

Dolo picks up the item left by the Mettalum, wraps it carefully, and stows it with his other gear. He packs up his tent as well and begins the ritual to summon Glorfindel. Perhaps Glor has had a chance to rest!

Once Glorfindel arrives, Dolo will journey towards the area where his companions flew off to.


@Sir Damian: Ana returns your handshake, and her rough grip is strong. She is healing at an astounding rate, most of her wounds have already scarred over and she appears to be moving with no difficulty.

"Hello Sir Damian. When these raiders entered the village I prayed to Cayden Cailean for a bit of luck in getting some help, my heart tells me that had at least something to do with why your group just happened to come in range of us when you did." She smiles, and though her eyes are sad and still burning from the fire and death around her, it is genuine. She looks at Min and Belsarious, her gaze lingers on Keythan and Lin, and Ansrithar still patrolling in the sky. "Such might. I never would have thought... but there is too much to do. The boy, Sir Damian, your squire, I take it? The litters he has made will do fine for transporting the unconscious and for old Heath there. If we can get them on your dragons' backs, I can carry the boy to Hoppsville. I am...very fast, and he will not encumber me." She pauses to take another giant swig of ale from her growler, and the blue glow of ki energy around her gets brighter.

She moves to assist Min and Syl and Belsarious in strapping litters to Lin and Ansrithar. The load is too much for the dragons to be able to do anything but maintain a steady flight in a straight line. Any maneuvering will send the whole hodge-podge of rope ties and sticks and shovel handles crashing to the ground.

Looking at your handiwork, and looking to the northeast, Ana picks up the boy, who waves good-bye to you all. "Hoppsville is a straight shot to the west, you cannot miss it." The young monk says. "You will not reach it until deep in the night hours, but it at least has some fortification, and you should be able to rest." With that, she makes sure the boy is securely strapped to her back, and takes off down the road at a light run.

The fires from the northeast are getting closer. You can hear the sounds of growls and snorts, like giant dogs and warthogs, echoing over the plain. A military chant can be heard -- a marching cadence. With not a moment to lose, the heavily-laden Lin and Ansrithar take off, heading west to Hoppsville, while Keythan and Brook and Sir Damian head east to the butte.

You all have gained the Fatigued condition. Min and Syl; your dragons, as stated above, can only fly in straight lines, at half normal move rate. The road is easy to follow, though.

@Sir Damian: Give me Profession(Soldier) and Perception checks.
@Dolo: Give me a Perception check. You and Glor also both have the Fatigued condition.


@Everybody: Reposting this in all my games 'cos it came up in the Seer's Journey. The dice roller seems particularly unkind sometimes, so I wanted to let y'all know that I have no problem whatsoever with you using alternate dice rollers. In fact, if you have access to actual physical dice when you're posting, feel free to use those. I trust you guys. Plus if you start crit'ing every roll, well, I'll get suspicious. :-P But yeah, seriously; feel free to roll wherever.


I rolled a 20 on both my Perception check and Glorfindels as well. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Reality:
Dolo's Perception skill check=1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Glorfindel's Perception skill check=1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26

Dolo climbed aboard Glorfindel's back. The familiarity and the easy motions of flight, not to mention the stressful and sleep-deprived night, lulled Dolo into a hazy stupor. You could have snuck a herd of elephants past him and he probably would have missed it. Glorfindel, however, as a true hunter, doesn't miss much of anything. His keen senses scan the skyline and the land below, ever alert for danger.


@Dolo:

You actually doze off for a little bit...:
You have a dream of a giant, ancient red dragon, different from the one that attacked Izmir just yesterday morning. It is holding a stick with some sort of crystal ball-looking thing attached to one end and laughing.
You are rudely awakened by a telepathic "shove" from Glor, who indicates a griffin is approaching at a slightly different altitude, but directly from the west. He says he can't smell it because the wind is wrong, but he feels certain it's Keythan.


@Min and @Syl: I need two Fly checks and two Fort saves, please, from each of you. I also need two additional Fort saves for Lin and Ansrithar.


DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Dolo: ** spoiler omitted ** You are rudely awakened by a telepathic "shove" from Glor, who indicates a griffin is approaching at a slightly different altitude, but directly from the west. He says he can't smell it because the wind is wrong, but he feels certain it's Keythan.

Dolo uses his knees to guide Glofindel towards the griffon, making an intercept course. Dolo hails the approaching figure, hoping it is Sir Damian and not another enemy. He was tired of fighting and sought the peace of a warm bed, a hot meal, and a good book.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Profession (soldier) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Damian pushes onward despite the mounting fatigue. Flying high to avoid patrols, he can't get the best of reads on their numbers of equipment. He remains focused on his primary goal: retrieving Dolo Luckbender. As he nears the butte, he spots the gnome and his strange mount. "Luckbender! We've been required to have a detour in order to save a village under attack. Are you good to ride?"


Sir Damian:
Though you were unable to see well enough through the dark and the smoke to get any kind of precise idea of strength and arms, based on their speed and the snorting noises you'd guess that the troops from the northeast are heavy cavalry; Orcs on Dire Warthogs, probably more Trolls as well. They are likely to have heavy ranged support of some type; ballistas or light catapults, broken down for travel but easy to assemble rapidly in the field.

If they head straight for Hoppsville, you will barely have time for a full night's rest before they are in range of the city.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Dice Rolls:

Min Fly Checks 1: 16 + 12 - 1 = 27
Min Fly Checks 2: 9 + 12 - 1 = 20

Min Fort 1: 9 + 6 = 15
Min Fort 2: 19 + 6 = 25

Lin Fort 1: 17 + 7 = 24
Lin Fort 2: 15 + 7 = 22

Lin shouldered her new burden without complaint, her eyes held a tinge of sadness as this event had brought old memories to the surface. Even Min seemed to be a different person, at the sounds of their enemies nearing approach he stood with one hand on his bastard sword, and his buckler raised in their direction, until the wounded were secured. He would have to give Brook a solid slap on the back for his excellent work, he salutes the monk as she takes up the previously wounded boy as her personal burden.

"I apologize for not introducing myself earlier, the name is Min. I am thankful for your assistance but sadly we will have to speak later in Hoppsville." He looks to the boy who's ashen faced is stained with tears, a hint of sadness crosses Min's eyes as he gives the boy his best smile. He puts a hand on the young lad's shoulder as he speaks. "Times are tough now my young friend but they will get better. Never lose hope, hold on tight to it and keep it in your heart. We must all work hard to see a better tomorrow and we will, see you soon lad."

Cha Check: 20 + 3 = 23
I didn't think a Diplomacy check would work for this, he was trying to inspire confidence in the boy.

With that Min climbs back in the saddle, he was feeling bone weary but nothing compared to Lin. She continued to be stoic in her duties and silent as she tried to conserve her flagging strength, Min frowned as they continued to communicated silently through the bond. As she began to beat her powerful wings once more, trying to lift off as smoothly as she can despite her great burdens, he gives the monk one final salute. "Gods speed friend..."

As they gain altitude Min casts shield on the three of them and pulls out his bow, as he gets ready for the fight ahead. "Everyone get ready however you can, you know as well as I that they won't let us off easily! So lets give them hell if they decide to strike at us again!" He felt a cold chill in his chest, maybe it was his own paranoia but it felt like something else may be approaching...

As he nocked a thistle arrow he scanned their surroundings, looking carefully for a possible foe.

AC w/Shield: Min: 24 Lin 26 Bel:?
Shield lasts for 2 Minute's
Spells Left for the day 1st 2 / 5
Dragons Breath Weapon attacks left: 2 / 5


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"I feel as if a week has been in tha last day!"

"Min I was admiring those arrows an how they made tha enemy bleed what are those?"


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Fortitude save
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

"Min has anyone ever passed out on you before?"


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Min looked back at his diminished quiver at Belsarious's question, as he went back to surveying for incoming enemies he replied in somber tones.

"These arrows came from our old homeland, they were used mainly for hunting but when the war spilled onto our borders like a black tide. They became very useful in bleeding out enemy calvary and fliers, I haven't seen their like since then but I also haven't searched for them either. They are known as Thistle arrows and created from a rather foul plant to causes an injury to remain open for a short time."

As Belsarious speaks again Min notices the man's tone is off, but when what he says finally hits home Min turns to see if Belsarious is falling out of the saddle! [/ooc] or not! =O[/ooc]

I mean't to ask early if we found anything on that Hobgoblin but by the sounds of it we didn't have much time to search the little thugs pockets ;)


Min:

The small boy in the village looks at you with big eyes. It's clear that he knows something is wrong, but doesn't yet have the mental equipment to process something of such enormity. It is very likely he will be scarred for life.

The only thing the Orcs and Hobgoblin would have had of any use is their weapons and armor. They carry basically no money and had no specific orders or maps or anything like that. They were just a shock platoon running near-distance sorties.

@Belsarious: you are listening to Min talk when a wave of fatigue and nausea hits you, and you pass out.

@Min:, as you glance over your shoulder, you see Belsarious' eyes roll back in his head, and he begins to slide out of the saddle. Make a Strength check to keep him in place!


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

thats what I thought DRA, just had to try after I missed out on some Red Dragon teeth earlier xD

errr strength.... ya... >.>; Str check 14+4-1= 17...

Min nearly drops his bow as he twists in the saddle, to his armor's protest, and tries to grab the falling Belsarious! Lin gives a grunt as she feels the sudden surge of panic from Min unable to do more then maintain her course as she stares off in the direction of Hoppsville.


Sir Damian Lamorak wrote:

Perception 1d20+1

Profession (soldier) 1d20+6

Damian pushes onward despite the mounting fatigue. Flying high to avoid patrols, he can't get the best of reads on their numbers of equipment. He remains focused on his primary goal: retrieving Dolo Luckbender. As he nears the butte, he spots the gnome and his strange mount. "Luckbender! We've been required to have a detour in order to save a village under attack. Are you good to ride?"

Dolo is relieved to see that the figure is indeed Sir Damian. He was relived he wouldn't be fighting for his life yet again this night (or was it morning?).

As Sir Damian speaks, Dolo shakes his head in indignation. He casts Message to ensure he is heard clearly by the solider.

"Let me be very clear. We were not required to detour. You chose to detour. You made a decision to follow that impulsive elf. At no time did our orders state we were to side-track at every opportunity to save anyone. It was your decision to put our current mission on hold for this. Pray to Iomedae that it doesn't cost thousands of lives if we are too late to stop that maniac using the infernal Snowglobe artifact."


Everybody: It is 10:00 pm. Min/Bel/Syl will reach Hoppsville by 3am, Sir Damian and Dolo will reach the town about an hour later.

@Min: Quickly transferring your bow to one hand, you are able to hold Belsarious fast, but the effort is exhausting. [ooc]Give me two more Fort saves; one for you and one for Lin.

@Sir Damian and @Dolo: Each of you give me a Fort save, please.


DM Downrightamazed wrote:
@Sir Damian and @Dolo: Each of you give me a Fort save, please.

Fort Save=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Male Human Battle Herald 11

"Normally, I would agree with you. But once we became involved, we have a charge to deliver the survivors to safety. That is not a choice, no more than the choice to breath." Damian has little patience after the long day. "You made the choice to let your compatriots fight alone. Yes, the elf is impulsive and should not have flown off, but we have an obligation to one another. Now we have an obligation to protect a small band of survivors as best we can."

Fortitude 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

The fatigue is setting in. Even Keythan's strong wings are having difficulty staying aloft for this long. Damian shakes his head, trying to clear the exhaustion.


Sir Damian Lamorak wrote:

"Normally, I would agree with you. But once we became involved, we have a charge to deliver the survivors to safety. That is not a choice, no more than the choice to breath." Damian has little patience after the long day. "You made the choice to let your compatriots fight alone. Yes, the elf is impulsive and should not have flown off, but we have an obligation to one another. Now we have an obligation to protect a small band of survivors as best we can."

Fortitude 1d20+11

The fatigue is setting in. Even Keythan's strong wings are having difficulty staying aloft for this long. Damian shakes his head, trying to clear the exhaustion.

Dolo turns red in the face the accusations from Damian.

"Ye durned fool! I didn't make a choice to let you fight alone. You all chose to abandon the mission and me along with it. I've been fightin' for my life while you went to save the world! You've gone and committed yourselves to a cause you can't walk away from. Like I said, pray to Iomedae it won't result in us failing in the mission we were assigned to complete."

Dolo mutters under his breath for a minute with snippets of "kids" and "young" and other less pleasant words sifting through.

"Let me ask you a question soldier. If your superior officer told you to do one thing and you off and decided to do something completely different, consequences be damned, how would you be viewed by your commander?"


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Dice Rolls:

Hand rolls *Two different sets, because I have 50 d20's........*:
Min Fort 19 + 6 = 25
Lin Fort 13 + 7= 20

Min grunts as he fights to keep Belsarious in the saddle, which in turn causes more strain on Lin as she fights to maintain altitude with the heavy burden thats been placed on her. She gives a growl of frustration as Min finally secures Bel back behind him.

"What I didn't expect that anymore then you did.... Yes... No... Alright... Yes Lin a BIG elk for this, I will get right on that once we are landed again."

Min sighs as the bond floods with tired and hungry thoughts from Lin, but soon he is chuckling as she starts thinking about food more and more. He laughs as her stomach grumbles and she gives a menacing growl at his laughter.

{Next Time we'll strap them to YOUR back!}


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian bristles at the gnome. "Every soldier knows that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. We are expected to use our best judgment when faced with unforeseen questions. We have not abandoned the mission, not in the slightest. We will make our rendezvous, one way or another."


@Dolo: You only hear every third word Sir Damian says. A muzziness comes over your senses and you black out from exhaustion.

@Sir Damian: As you are talking to Dolo, the Gnome's eyes suddenly close and he slides of Glorfindel's back. The strange outsider lets out a surprised squawk-like roar and reaches out to grab the diminutive academic, but vanishes back across the planes before he can do anything to save his companion. Supported by his ring of Feather Falling, Dolo begins coasting down towards the ground.


@Min: After what seems an eternity, you see firelight in the near distance. Your shoulders burn from the effort of holding Belsarious in the saddle, and your head is pounding from the combined exhaustion of both yourself and Lin, flooding back and forth across your bond. Coming in to a rough landing in front of the place, you see something that brings tremendous relief; the flag of Warbane. Sure enough, a dozen of the giant, onyx-skinned northern mercenaries come rushing out of the massive metal doors in front of you, approaching with caution.

Hoppsville appears to be less of a town than a fortress, though if it was always thus, you have no idea. 30' high walls tower up for nearly a mile to the north and south, each. There are watch towers with ballistas and archers at regular intervals.

One of the Warbanians stands in front of the rest, and approaches you. His armor gleams and is covered in brutal spikes, stained with the gore of untold enemies. Standing nearly 7' tall, he towers over you, and his voice is a deep basso rumble. "Sir, can you identify yourself? Where are you coming from and what happened?" As he asks you this, other people -- Bennaladi by the look of them -- rush forward and begin taking Belsarious and the other wounded in to the fort. He motions for you to follow him in. "We have word of enemy troops on the move, please, follow me. We can talk while we walk. If you are too weak, we can speak later this morning, provided no assault occurs."


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian swoops downward with Keythan, matching Luckbender's slow descent and grabbing onto him. He pulls the gnome onto Keythan's back and angles the griffon downward. They land hard, Keythan's fatigue showing in a graceless semi-crash into the ground. Damian dismounts and checks on Luckbender, laying him on the ground. "Guess this is where we are staying tonight."

Judging by their position, they ought to be behind the advancing army's position. As long as they don't have any troops lagging behind, they should be safe here for the night. Damian removes Dolo's chain shirt and covers him with a heavy blanket from their gear, then removes his own. Too tired to set up a proper tent, he pets the now-sleeping Keythan and lays down on the earth. "Get some rest, but squawk us up if you hear or smell anything." The simple smell of the ground reminds him of his youth, a nice thought before falling into a deep sleep.


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Lin sighs as the weight is lifted from her shoulders, she gives caution to those coming out of the fort and taking the wounded. She doesn't want anyone moved too hastily after her landing, she worried that she may have reopened their wounds. She nods her head to the Warbanian soldiers, she was glad to see them as was Min.

Min looks at the powerful looking Warbanian captain, giving him a tired smile, as he dismounts and walks awkwardly towards them. "My name is Min and that is Lindórievórea, she is in desperate need of something to eat and a place to rest. I will be fine with only a couple hours of sleep Sir. We will have to move with haste, I will brief you. Min follows them back inside the fort after stowing his bow, he walks as steadily as he can. But its obvious he is wore out. "We were on a mission from Izmer, under Captain Merit's orders. When we spotted the distant smoke of the enemy vanguard's attack. We moved to lend assistance to the villagers and managed to drive off their attackers. As we were preparing to move the survivors out of the village a warband of unknown size swept in from the Northeast and nearly overtook us. By the sounds of it they had some sort of boars or large dogs, I didn't see them as we were escaping with what survivors were left. But i do know they were moving fast, if they continued at those speeds they could be here in a few hours Sir. That is my best estimate I can give, there are two more of our party yet to arrive, one is Professor Dolo Luckbender and Paladine Damian they too come by air on Griffin and another creature I cannot yet name.".

He sighed as he tried to catch his breath, pausing momentarily as he stumbles a moment. After a few breaths he looks back to the Warbanian as he straightens back up to stand fully. "I don't want to cause alarm, but I think it would be best to prepare for an assault sir. Unless there is any other target in this area that warrants attention..."

As Min and Lin part ways in the courtyard she gives Min a worried look as he continues to converse quickly with the Warbanian commander. She could feel he was ready to fall flat, but he was pushing himself hard as always to move forward. She sighed as hunger and fatigue caused her to feel light headed, she could barely make it to a resting place before she laid down exhausted. She didn't know whether or not she would have the strength to eat if they brought her food.

sorry for the wait, getting ready to fly to work tomorrow but I am here again now =D


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Continues to dream.......


Min Bein'Meleth Rámalóce wrote:
He sighed as he tried to catch his breath, pausing momentarily as he stumbles a moment. After a few breaths he looks back to the Warbanian as he straightens back up to stand fully. "I don't want to cause alarm, but I think it would be best to prepare for an assault sir. Unless there is any other target in this area that warrants attention..."

"There are more things in -- and, under -- these plains than meets the eye, Min. But we are indeed prepared for an assault. We will keep our eyes open for your companions. In the meantime, please rest, and our captain will speak with you in the morning."


Alright! Everybody is resting for the night. I'll continue things in the AM, but in the meantime:

LEVEL UP!

Everyone go to 7th level. I'm basically doing milestone-based XP here. :-)


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14
DM Downrightamazed wrote:


"There are more things in -- and, under -- these plains than meets the eye, Min. But we are indeed prepared for an assault. We will keep our eyes open for your companions. In the meantime, please rest, and our captain will speak with you in the morning."

Min gives a quick salute to the Warbanian. "If you are in need of an extra sword or bow you can find me alongside my companion. Good luck and my thanks, Sir, I look forward to our briefing in the morning." Finishing his salute Min immediately made his way to Lin, he felt her worry for him earlier and now that he was free of his duties he could take care of her like she deserved. After getting some directions he arrived at where she had bedded down, seeing her fast asleep he decided it was best to wait on getting her any food.

Removing his gear quietly, and frowning at the new holes in his, now ragged looking shirt, Min worked on getting some well needed rest himself. He sighed as he thought to himself {At least we won't be bored on this adventure now will we....}. After placing their gear aside in a neat and organized pile, he finally sat down and placed his back against Lin's exposed side facing the entryway. His exhaustion quickly started to overtake him though and he barely had time to place his sheathed bastard sword within reach before his eyelids started to droop. With a relaxed sigh he leaned his head back against Lin and fell asleep.

Tried to make this sound good but had limited time, Min only needs 2hrs of sleep due to his ring, but i'm sure we will play it by ear due to exhaustion though xD. And also Level up times! =D


@Sir Damian and @Dolo: You awaken to the warm feeling of sun on your face, and rise to see a stunningly beautiful sunrise; the colors of dawn are shifting to the colors of day as the sun lifts itself up above the seemingly endless golden fields of growing grain here in the Plains. (Something like this.) You hear no sounds except that of the gentle breeze, still a bit cooler than it should be, and the occasional bird.

Looking to Keythan, however, you both see an odd sight. The griffon is curled up in his customary sleeping position, but snuggled up on his furry back, curled into a tight, gleaming little circle, is the tiniest dragon you have ever laid eyes on. It is a little bit larger than a pseudodragon, and has a similarly spiked tail, but its scales are a shining combination of verdant, leaf green and shining copper, each scale alternating color to make a breathtakingly beautiful pattern. Both creatures are fast asleep, and snoring a little bit.


@Belsarious:You arise to the mouth-watering smell of food; rich lentil soups, roasting meat, and the distinct hopp-y smell of fine ale. Sitting up and looking around you see you are in a barracks of some sort; a long single-story room with two parallel rows of very large, but very spartan beds. There is a door just 12 feet or so to your left.

@Min: You awake to a strange bumping and shifting underneath you. Your eyes snap open as you hear the hideous sounds of flesh being torn and tendons being snapped and the terrible smell of raw death. Lin twists her long and elegant neck around until she is looking at you. {...Sorry, did not mean to wake you, but they offered, and, well, I really am this hungry...} Looking past your friend you see that someone has placed an entire Dire Boar carcass in front of her, and she is steadily tearing through it. Behind the high, sharp scent of raw meat, you smell the more human-palatable scents of soup, roasts, ale and bread.

Your stomach growls so loud that Lin's eyes get wide and she gives you a startled look.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian stands and regards the dragonling with curiousity. Keythan's instincts are rock-solid, so anything that the griffon would allow to rest on him must be all right. He kneels down and shakes Dolo gently to wake him up. "All right, we've got to get moving. Quick bite to eat, then we go." When Dolo opens his eyes, he adds one more thing while pointing to the dragon: "Also, can you tell me exactly what that is?"


What Knowledge check would apply here?


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
What Knowledge check would apply here?

Nature, Arcana, and History. Each successful one will reveal different things.


DM Downrightamazed wrote:
Dolo Luckbender wrote:
What Knowledge check would apply here?
Nature, Arcana, and History. Each successful one will reveal different things.

Dolo wakes up bleary-eyed and somewhat dazed at how he came to be here.

"I don't suppose I landed here on my own and tucked myself in, eh?" offers Dolo in back-handed attempt at a thanks to Sir Damian.

He takes the offered food and focuses on the figure resting on Keythan.


Knowledge:Nature=1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Knowledge:Arcana=1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Knowledge:History=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


K(Nature):
This is a Wyverling, known to have many mates, to live and thrive in all environments, though certain color combinations do better in some climes than others, and generally be cautiously friendly creatures. They are quite intelligent, have their own complex societal hierarchy, can communicate in several languages -- including Common -- via telepathy, have miniature versions of large dragons' breath weapons, and can cast some spells. Their scales are always metallic-chromatic combinations.

K(Arcana):
You know that something about them is magical besides their spellcasting ability, but can't for the life of you remember just what exactly it is. You know they sometimes act as familiars or companions to certain individuals, too.

K(History):
It is a fairly commonly accepted theory amongst academics and cryptozoologists that Wyverlings are the original dragons of The Land, and a strain of them were bred via magic to be large dragons. Unfortunately this breeding polarized their temperaments and moral compasses, leading to huge dragons of a single color that were either all good or all bad, instead of being more morally complex. They have never been known to hoard treasure like their larger cousins. While friendly, they have tended, historically, to stick to themselves; seeing one is said to be a sign of tremendous good luck. Additionally, you have noted as a sidebar to your studies that throughout history, it is very common for extraordinary individuals to either have Wyverling companions, familiars, or to be close to someone with such a companion. They are a sort of...indicator of historical significance, of greatness.

551 to 600 of 3,728 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.