The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed

Game Master downrightamazed

The great captain Korius Merit, of the Paladine of Izmir, summons a group of warriors of the air to retrieve twelve evil artifacts; the legendary Abominations of the long-dead archmage Marianasu.


701 to 750 of 3,728 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

After gathering supplies and readying their mounts, the party takes off from Hoppsville at the same time that, in a place nearly equidistant from their destination, two strange, flying elf-like creatures move to the ledge of a large cavern they have been using for shelter and take off west at the urging of an alien intelligence.

Both groups fly hard for four days, covering tremendous ground and camping only as long as necessary. On their third and fourth days, the group coming from Hoppsville encounters a horrid winter storm that forces them to fly high, similar to what they had to do when heading over the small mountain range between Izmir and the Plains of Bennalad. Once again, the use of potions and wands becomes necessary (Please subtract two days' worth of Endure Elements potions/wands for those who would need to use them.) to survive, and while there is a bit of shock and shiver from the cold, they come out basically fine on the other side and are welcomed by a bizarre and unnatural site; all of the land beneath them is blanketed in at least four feet of snow, more where there are drifts. It is common for the peaks of mountains as great as the Mana Range to be snowy, of course, but this unnatural weather extends all the way down into the valleys and hills, far beneath the normal snow line.

The further east the group gets, the stronger Belsarious' visions of a great dark shadow get, but thankfully there are no more blasts of arcane energy. The snow also deepens.

The further west Mai and Livain get, the deeper the snow is, as if they are reaching its epicenter.

On the fifth day, both groups arrive at bedlam.

In a bowl-shaped valley along one of the trade routes through the mountains, near the sleepy village of Crystal Lake, so named because of the normally placid and clear -- but now iced over -- deep mountain lake it sits next to, a massive battle is unfolding. The sounds of sword fighting and blasts of spell energy can clearly be heard, as can the screams of the wounded and dying. There appear to be two distinct forces; one group is composed of a motley bunch of soldiers, sellswords, mercenaries, and adventurers. Their clothes do not match and are terribly unfit for the freezing weather, their armor is beat-up and cobbled together, and their weapons cover a broad spectrum of fighting implements. The other group is much more well-equipped; all of them are clad in platemail and have good furs and shields and swords.

Dolo and Belsarious::
You recognize these as the same troops that you fought in the citadel back at Izmir, the ones Belsarious was able to Enthral. They are soldiers of the Red Dragonflight.

The main battle is on the eastern edge of a vast, somewhat clear area east of the town between these two fighting groups, but there are other, smaller skirmishes happening as well. To the south, a massive Lighting Elemental is engaged in combat with a few soldiers, a winged Tengu(!), and a human alchemist. Near the lake, on the west edge of the battleplain, a group of archers, including an elf clad in the dark colors and cloak of a rogue, are standing off against an equally huge lightning elemental. Then, lastly, on the north edge of the battle and nearest the town, a lone human clad in the spiked and gore-stained armor of a Gorumite is locked in fierce combat with a big magma elemental, its fire causing great gouts of steam to rise up from all the snow.

Your two groups are hovering in the air some 100' above this battle. The group from Hoppsville sees what look like two winged elves with majestic wingspans hovering in the air across the valley looking at them. Livain and Maiathreen see exactly what their dreams and visions predicted; two dragons, one white and one silver, both with riders. A cavalier on a hippogriff and a gnome on a strange outsider with long arms and terrible, sharp claws. You are all regarding each other as the battle rages below.

Belsarious lets out a grunt, then shouts to the group from Hoppsville that the abomination they seek is somewhere in the battle below, in and amongst the four different skirmishes.

For now, act as you will. If you choose to join combat then we'll roll initiative.


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
Got any of those in Heavy Crossbow bolts? ;D

:-)

Unfortunately not. The Enhathladi, being elves, focus mostly on bows and arrows.


Web version of the map. note that everyone is on the ground except you guys, these are 10' squares, and that there is a general tree cover on the ground, mostly little stands and groups of conifers, some bushes, too. Lemme know if the HTML map is goofy and I'll link the PDF version, too.


Between the sounds of battle and the screaming wind, Dolo casts Message to ensure he is heard by all. "This is going to be...interesting. Belsarious, can you pinpoint the artifact?"

While waiting for a response, Dolo urges Glorfindel to scan the battle. His goal - find the Snowglobe artifact.

Perception for Glorfindel=1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian surveys the scene, looking to identify the travelers they were sent to meet. He shouts instructions to his squad as they hover. "We need to find out who is on our side! Stay together! Once we've identified the artifact, we need to secure it, then assist our potential allies!"

Sense Motive (Hero Point) 1d20 + 4 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 11 = 21

Damian watches the group, trying to determine whose aid to come to. The decision could have far-reaching consequences, far beyond the skirmish.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"Well it would seem that liquid metal thing were right." Maiathreen comments to his wife as the two of them hover over the battle. He stares at them wondering the best way to approach with out getting shot at. "I say we go on and see what they are about and take control of our own fates for once." He says with a grimace as he thinks back on what they both had endured then mentally crushes those thoughts before allowing them to grab hold of his mind. He then slowly begins to fly towards the others. "Is one of you known as Luckbender? If so we need to talk, but I believe that may have to wait till we are in a quieter environment. He says from a short distance appearing unarmed and non-threatening. Though when he comes closer something seems strange about his skin it would appear that in place of skin along his arms there are black scales and his wings are draconic in appearance. If they kill you don't say I didn't warn you. Stryke comments in the back of his mind.


@Dolo:
Glorfindel growls back to you that he cannot locate the item itself, but that there is a group of tents in the center of the area, under a bunch of trees. It would appear that the more ramshackle group of soldiers had been camped in this area. Glor guesses that since the item is not readily visible, it might be in one of them. Trouble is, there are dozens and dozens of tents.

@Sir Damian:
The more ramshackle bunch of fighters are using extremely archaic fighting styles, employing no modern tactics. They appear to have been caught by surprise and are in defensive positions. The warriors in plate mail are also fighting defensively but engaging across a wide front, in a distraction maneuver, a feint. They appear to be holding out for something, and their tactics are identical to the time-wasting and distraction techniques used by the blue dragons you fought in Izmir, the ones that were trying to buy time for soldiers on the ground that were looking for the Abomination, all of them were affiliated with the Red Dragonflight. As far as you can tell, the freedom fighters would be your allies. Your best guess is that the strange group of more modernly dressed adventurers -- especially the Gorumite -- are their leaders.

DC30 Perception:
The winged Tengu has vanished.


By the way, guys, you're currently interacting with one of my IRL games. :-) The guys on the ground who are my PCs can see you in the sky, and are working with me to generate their reactions, etc. They all say "hi" OOC.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"I have enthralled these before!"

Initiative
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Perception
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

There is something about yon group, one disappeared as if by magic, vanished even from mine keen eyes...."

DM perception also to find the artifact!


Dolo listens as the newcomers approach. As he hears his name, he is somewhat taken aback. 'Dang, I know I'm famous but now rocks and winged thingies have even heard of me! This is getting a bit nutty, even for me!' confides Dolo to his eidolon companion.

Dolo looks at his team and then at the newcomers.

"I am Luckbender. Who might you be and what are your immediate intentions." shouts the little man as he sweeps his hand to encompass the on-going battle. Being of small stature, he has been known to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation as a matter of necessity.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Damian spots the similarity in tactics of the platemail-wearing troops to the Red Dragonflight's raid on Izmir and makes his decision. "Luckbender, Belsarious, identify the artifact. Everyone else, focus on the elementals! Take out the fiery one first!"

Damian turns behind him to speak to Brook. "Hold on tight, just like we practiced." The boy has been receiving quite the trial by fire since becoming Damian's squire, and now he is set to see a magma elemental up close.

Swooping towards the Gorunite, Damian readies his lance. "Sir, we are here to help! By Iomedae, CHARGE!" With the powerful thrust of Keythan's wings, the knight soars towards the elemental, preparing to smite it.

Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

They sent us to find a gnome? Why he is shorter than I. Stryke says sarcastically in the back of Maiathreen's mind. "Shut up." He snaps back under his breath.

"I am known as Maiathreen Gyssearnith and this is my wife Livain Gyssearnith. We were sent by some strange metallic creature who said to let you know we are from the Great Trackless Woods, they also said you could help us if we told you about the ink."

He says as he stares at the Dolo and his companions ready for anything.

Oh sure that doesn't make you seem crazy I was there and I hardly believe it.


Belsarious:
You're unable to locate the item itself, but there is a group of tents in the center of the area, under a bunch of trees. It would appear that the more ramshackle group of soldiers had been camped in this area. Your best guess is it might be in one of the tents. Trouble is, there are dozens and dozens of tents.

Mai and Livain:
There is a strange shadow behind the silver dragon. Whether it is part of the dragon, its rider, or the wood elf on the back, the one who already looks familiar, you can't tell, but it is a hovering malignancy chained to that spot, following those three. You have no idea if they're aware of it.

@Sir Damian: By your judgment the Gorumite has had some kind of professional military training because after glancing your way, and particularly at the crest on your shield, he moves into a defensive position to give you more room to attack while still being ready to follow up. Each of his movements is crisp and compact.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Maiathreen can't help but stare at the wood elf on the back of the silver dragon he feels like he should know him...but the only elves he ever knew were much like himself or worse. He then blinks in shock as he notices the shadow hovering behind the three. "You have a shadow about you....that I can not place." He says to the two on the silver dragon. "Who are you...for some reason you seem familiar..."

He says with a perplexed expression on his face.

For any who speaks Elven:
Maiathreen's name means "death bound in flesh".


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Warbanian Quartermaster:

The look of amazement is easily seen on Min's face, he hadn't expected to receive such a bounty of arms and weapons. He inspect's the dagger, chuckling lightly as he thought about the look on Brook's face when the boy received such a fine weapon. Looking back to the Quartermaster, Min gives him a salute before shaking the man's hand. "I hadn't expected this much generosity during a war time period, no offense, I appreciate all the help you've given us today sir and some of these weapons will go far in training one of our youngest members how to defend himself. Hopefully in the next city I can find some armor for him, because with each battle I fear the enemy may try and target the child in our midst out of spite. With all of this though we will be well prepared for the battles ahead, if you are ever in need of my services when our quest is done send word to Izmer and I am sure they can relay it to me somehow. Thank you again sir I am in your debt."

With little time to spare Min makes his way slowly back to Lin and gets everything strapped down and secured before taking off. He does chuckle at Belsarious as he straps the extra weapons and quivers onto his saddle bags, whilst secretly stowing away the shortbow and dagger.

Simply wow... lol thanks DRA xD. I feel like a total mooch now though. xD

Btw how was the tour? =D

Anyone who wants to grab up some of the arrows and such can but the dagger and shortbow are stowed away unless someone really needs them~ We have plenty of time in those 4 days of flight to determine what you have, so long as this is cool with DRA that is =)

Min takes in the sights of the battle trying to determine who is friend and who is foe. The elementals though make him pause for a moment, as out of all the enemies present those are by far the most troubling.

Perception 14+10 = 24
Initiative 6+4= 10

Min sighs and decides to move after the large Magma elemental, Lin would prove especially effective against the creature with her frosty breath. As Damian breaks off, roaring his battlcry as he does, the pair follow him and prepare to follow up his charge with Lin's powerful breath.

"Oem Irailmancillw!" Min nocks a thistle arrow as he shouts an old battlecry in the tauthan tongue as they descend upong the massive elemental.


DM DRA:
What ink does Maiathreen speak of? Should I know about it?


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

"Min can you get us to yon tents?....I have a strong feeling tha item can be found within one o them!"

How do/did we divide these arrows?

Spoiler:

(20) Puncturing arrows/woodpecker fletching: do regular plus 1 point Con and 1d4 bleed damage per round (roll 1d4 per round)
(20) Razortusk Arrows/redwing blackbird fletching: normal damage, but ignore armor bonuses to AC
(50) Masterwork Arrows/sparrow fletching: usual mwk bonuses apply
(10) Backbarb Arrows/cedar waxwing fletching: normal damage plus 1 point Str damage and 1d4 tearing damage per round (roll per round), plus attempted removal of the arrow does 2d6 damage
(10) Flamestrike Arrows/cardinal fletching: do normal damage plus 3d6 fire damage to a 20ft. radius.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Arrows:
Livain would like some but she is in class at the moment. Though we also aren't aware that you even have those arrows as we were not there yet. ;)


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

@Dolo:
There's no reason Dolo would have any idea what Mai is talking about. This is something I'm intending for y'all to work out in RP, but it is indeed a very significant clue.

Initiative Order:
Min
Sir Damian
Belsarious
Freedom Fighters
Red Dragonflight troops

The enemy is mostly aware of you guys, but you will nonetheless be striking against Flat-Footed AC in this round. You guys are unaware of the capabilities of the elementals, but you know the Red Dragonflight troops have AC21 (19FF) and 22HP. Min and Sir Damian, feel free to act whenever you wish.


Maiathreen Gyssearnith wrote:

They sent us to find a gnome? Why he is shorter than I. Stryke says sarcastically in the back of Maiathreen's mind. "Shut up." He snaps back under his breath.

"I am known as Maiathreen Gyssearnith and this is my wife Livain Gyssearnith. We were sent by some strange metallic creature who said to let you know we are from the Great Trackless Woods, they also said you could help us if we told you about the ink."

He says as he stares at the Dolo and his companions ready for anything.

Oh sure that doesn't make you seem crazy I was there and I hardly believe it.

Dolo stares at the strange winged elf-like being. He blinks a few times. Nothing registers.

"Look Maiathreen. We're a bit busy here. Are you with us or against us?"


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Edit: Just saw what DRA posted so I removed my comment from this post.

Min levels his bow at the Magma covered creature, searching in vain to find a weak point before sighing in frustration. Where does one shoot a creature made of molten rock? As Belsarious speaks over the wind and gestures at the tents off to their side, Min finds it to be difficult to decide which is more important. With a heavy sigh Min lowers his bow and after a quick thought between Lin and him she starts to move as Belsarious had directed. Min's voice is tense as he speaks back to Belsarious. "Once we get this accursed thing found and safely in our hands, then we will move to help these poor people... Or is there more that we must do?"

As Min's emotions warred within him, Lin continued to try and keep her thoughts focused on the possibility of engaging the well armored soldiers on the ground. Her heart yearned for the ramshackled defender's but the item they sought needed to be brought under their protective wing before she could bring her wrath down upon the real enemy.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Round 1, Initiative 10

Ride 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Swift: Declare Challenge
Damian: Lance (Charge) vs. Magma Elemental 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
--> Damage 3d8 + 21 + 48 ⇒ (8, 5, 1) + 21 + 48 = 83

As the red glow of the elemental's fiery hide causes Damian to appear as a streak of light above the fray, he swears to destroy it. "Return to your own plane!" He shouts loudly and clearly. "The Red Dragonflight will fall, shattered upon our swords! Soldiers, take heart!" He lowers his lance, its end exploding out of the elemental in a shower of sparks and fire. A gaping hole emerges from the creature, radiating heat. It feels like a furnace in Damian's armor, the very air unbearably hot in his lungs.

Brook holds onto the knight, trying not to cry out with the sudden barrage of heat. The elemental looks like a creature straight from his nightmares, but he trusts Sir Damian to destroy it.

Keythan keeps his talons in, not wanting to scorch them on the being made of rocky fire.


The magma elemental lets loose a terrible shriek as great chunks of itself fly off, then the Gorumite immediately follows up Sir Damian's devastating charge with a tremendous sword thrust, shoving his magicked greatsword right through the creature's abdomen. Gravely wounded, the evil outsider pukes up a giant pool of lava that blasts the gorumite in the chest and spews out over a wide square, melting all the snow and instantly enveloping the area in dense fog and steam and badly burning the human warrior. Though his pain must be tremendous, the fighter lets out no cry or other indication of distress.

Sir Damian, back to you on this one. -2 to strike for this round due to poor visibility from the dense steam cloud.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

"Seeing as you are fighting red dragon troops I assume we are on the same side." Maiathreen says just before Stryke chimes in his head. Of course we are with them did you just see that human? He just plowed through an elemental like it was butter!

"Whether or not you trust us at the moment will be seen. So I suppose we will finish this later." He says as he begins to scan the battleground for the best target.

If there is a group of Red dragon troops within 170 feet that are all within 30 feet of each other. Casting mass Burning Flash 2nd lvl.

Upon seeing a band of red dragon troops assaulting the freedom fighters he draws out Stryke and begins to invoke his arcane powers. Bränna med drake eld! Brännande Blixt! He calls out as he extends his left hand. Red and white arcane glyphs circling it forming what looks like a gate just in front of his palm. Seven fiery bolts of energy shoot from the gate straight at seven of the soldiers.


Initiative1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Ranged touch attack1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Damage5d6 ⇒ (6, 4, 2, 1, 1) = 14

Not nearly as "explosive" as I'd hoped oh well at least it was fun to write :)


Dolo sees Maiathreen unleash on their common enemy and is convinced enough to change focus onto the artificat. In response to the winged elf, Dolo replies, "Yes, we will finish this conversation later. I look forward to it."

He turns to Min and Belsarious, using the aid of the magical communication. "Those tents are our best shot. Let's land and form up a defensive perimeter. From there we can systematically search. Glorfindel will assist Lin and Min with protection. I will aid Belsarious in tracking down the artifact."

Once the message is clear, Dolo will guide Glorfindal into a wheeling, spiraling descent towards the tents. His goal is to land in a defensive spot and dismount.

Dolo's Initiative=1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Glor's Initiative=1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Mai's blasts of energy impact the enemy troops, striking down two of them who had already been wounded by freedom fighters. Between Sir Damian's mighty charge and the sudden air support, hundreds of eyes look skyward and the freedom fighters let out a tremendous cheer at the arrival of these new mysterious allies and begin fighting with renewed zeal.

Unfortunately Mai's lethal accuracy has drawn the worst kind of attention; several archers become visible further up the hill and unload a volley of arrows at him and Livain, still by his side.

Meanwhile, as Dolo and Glor and Min and Belsarious and Lin approach the tented area, preparing to land, four arrows streak up from the ground at Lin, Min, Glor, and Dolo. The arrows flying at Lin and Glorfindel are fletched with cardinal feathers, the one heading at Min has cedar waxwing feathers and the one flying at Dolo is fletched with mourning dove feathers. The arrows fired at Dolo and Glor whizz past them, narrowly missing as Glor executes a last-second dodge maneuver. The arrows flying at Lin and Min are right on target. Can these skilled fliers dodge these deadly shots?

Hot on the heels of those four arrows, four more arrows shoot out and hit the ground in the middle of the tented area. There is a moment when the party can see that all of these arrows are fletched with crow feathers, then all four explode into horrid, thick, clinging, choking alchemical smoke, flooding an 80' area with the stuff.

DC28 Perception:
Four Red Dragonflight Spec Ops troops are concealed and under cover in the trees. They are already prepping their bows to fire again. -4 to hit, 50% miss chance.

DM Roll:
1d20 + 21 ⇒ (7) + 21 = 28


Surprise round!
Against Lin (22):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Against Min (23):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Against Dolo(23):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
Against Glor(25):1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Against Mai (21):
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Against Livain (20):
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Damage to Mai:
1d8 ⇒ 4
Damage to Livain:
1d8 ⇒ 4
1d8 ⇒ 5
Potential Damage to Lin:
1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 plus 3d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 3) = 11 fire damage (18 total)
Potential Damage to Min:
Confirm crit:
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
2d8 + 6 ⇒ (4, 3) + 6 = 13 plus 1 point STR plus 1d4 ⇒ 2 additional tearing damage


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Any chance those dragonflight troops are human? I am going for them!

Attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Miss chance
1d100 ⇒ 24
re-roll (if needed)
1d100 ⇒ 84

Flamestrike Arrows/cardinal fletching:

normal damage 1d8 ⇒ 2

plus3d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 2) = 7 fire damage to a 20ft. radius.


Male Human Battle Herald 11

Round 2, Initiative 10

Ride 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19

Damian: Lance (Charge) vs. Elemental 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31
--> Damage 3d8 + 21 + 48 ⇒ (3, 8, 3) + 21 + 48 = 83

Damian, Keythan, and Brook come out of the steam like a phoenix emerging from a funeral pure, the smoke and steam trailing them as they fly towards the elemental. Damian braces his lance as he gouges another massive hole in the main body of the magma elemental. The explosion of embers showers them and the Gorumite as Damian wheels around for another devastating charge.


DM DRA - My standing order has been to cast Mage Armor with Rod of Extend to get a 14-hour dose for Glorfindel. Is this considered not active right now? Effective AC=25.

I will wait on my Round 2 action until you post an initiative order. Thanks!


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
DM DRA - My standing order has been to cast Mage Armor with Rod of Extend to get a 14-hour dose for Glorfindel. Is this considered not active right now?

Nope, it's cool, I was copying-n-pasting AC's and forgot to add that. Either way, they missed Glor, but I will have it in the next attack and edit my previous post.


Sir Damian's second strike destroys the magma elemental, blasting the fiery beast apart in a shower of rock and liquid fire. The gorumite that had been fighting it immediately turns and starts charging across the battlefield to where other skirmishes are happening.

By the lake, the elven rogue and several other archers have the ice elemental surrounded and are doing their best to bring it down without letting it bring its brutal and spiky fists to bear.

On the southern edge of the battle, the huge lightning elemental is hammering down freedom fighters left and right; none can stand before its primal electric fury. It does have one strange and terrible wound -- a spreading malignant blackness on its side -- but it fights on, and no one else appears to be damaging it at all.

Scanning the enemy, Belsarious (and the rest of you) can see that the Red Dragonflight troops are a mix of humans, elves and half-elves.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Initiative order in the "tent area":
Glor
Dolo
Mystery Archers
Min
Belsarious

If anyone else joins this combat, I'll add them to the order.


Glor's Perception check=1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31

Dolo's Perception check=1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Besides the four archers hiding in the tree area, are there other archers about?


Female Silastrix Archer 11 - HP 93 AC 24, T 16, Flat 18 - F+7 R+8 W+ 4 Init +8; Senses: Darkvision Low-Light Vision)

Livain grits her teeth against the pain from the two arrows that sliced into her pale flesh. She pushes the pain down with the cold efficiency she and her husband had been conditioned with since birth. She sets a deadly stare on the fools who would attack her and her husband and begins to show them their mistake. "Her let me show you how to properly use a bow." She mutters as her hands become a blur and arrows cut the sky towards her targets.


Using manyshot rapid shot, and deadeye
Initiative:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Attacks:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 241d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 161d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Damage:1d8 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 171d8 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 161d8 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 121d8 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Bleed:1d4 ⇒ 31d4 ⇒ 11d4 ⇒ 41d4 ⇒ 3
Firing at the ones who shot at me if the target dies during the missile barrage shift target to the next available. All arrows are puncturing arrows.


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Maiathreen winces slightly , but shows no true reaction from the grazing shot he received to the arm. "That's certainly something we don't want happening again." He says as he casts a spell quicker than most would think possible.

Using swift spell to cast mirror image. 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Brand bränna deras kött från ben. Elden Strejk! He says calmly as seven miniature dragons fly from the small gate at his hand and streak off towards seven of the archers who attacked him and Livain.

Mass Fire Blast lvl 3 spell.

Ranged touch attack:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Damage:7d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 4, 5, 1, 3, 1) = 23

Targeting non pincushioned archers.

Move action directly in front of Livain to try and provide cover with me and my clones, delaying till right after her turn so this all works.


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
Besides the four archers hiding in the tree area, are there other archers about?

Yes. There are a couple dozen archers a ways to the east. Some are firing up at Livain and Mai, the rest are firing on the freedom fighters.


DM Downrightamazed wrote:
Dolo Luckbender wrote:
Besides the four archers hiding in the tree area, are there other archers about?
Yes. There are a couple dozen archers a ways to the east. Some are firing up at Livain and Mai, the rest are firing on the freedom fighters.

Rephrase question - where is the biggest concentration of enemy archers. Also, please let me know if there are friendlies in the mix. I want to drop either Glitterdust or Black Tentacles.

Second question - which archers are focused on Dolo/Min/Belsarious? Just the four in the trees?


Dolo Luckbender wrote:
Rephrase question - where is the biggest concentration of enemy archers. Also, please let me know if there are friendlies in the mix. I want to drop either Glitterdust or Black Tentacles. Second question - which archers are focused on Dolo/Min/Belsarious? Just the four in the trees?

The biggest concentration is the one mentioned above; the two dozen a way to the east. And there are, unfortunately, friendlies everywhere -- this combat is a giant, horrifying clusterf---. DC20 Intimidate check to get them to clear an area, and it will take them a round to do so.

To the second question: so far, yes. Those four are each 35' apart from each other to minimize a wizard's ability to take them all out with a single spell.


Glorfindal and Dolo commune telepathically as a plan quickly formulates. 'Death in the trees' Glorfindal indicates, which galvanizes Dolo. The gnome casts Haste (using the rod of extend) and shouts to his companions.

"Min! Protect Belsarious and get him searching for it!" Dolo dare not name the item but the team knew of what he spoke.

Glorfindel then streaks off with inhuman speed at the nearest archer in the trees. They think they are hidden but an extra-planar devourer is hurling straight at the archers!

Haste gives bonus to AC and 30' move. Glorfindal charges.

Bite Attack=1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Claw Attack=1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
Claw Attack=1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Extra Bite Attack=1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

NOTE: Power attack for -2/+4

Bite damage=1d6 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Claw damage=1d4 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Claw damage=1d4 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Bite damage=1d6 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Male DraRid 9 - HP 66/66 AC 23, T 14, Flat 19 - F+7 R+10 W+6 Init +4; Senses: Superior Low-Light Vision (X4), Darkvision 60ft; Per +14

Round: 01 Ini: 10
HP totals: Min 29/44, Lindórievórea 63/63
Min AC: 20 (Normal Bonuses- Shield), Lin AC: 23 (Normal Bonuses)
[ooc]Focus (Full Round Action): Not Done. Move action only.

Current Effects: Resist Cold 5 (constant), -1 strength 17 +3 current (18 normal)
Mounted Combat 18+13 = 31
Perception 17+10 = 27

Is the tearing damage = strength damage?

Min helps Lin to deftly avoid the cardinal arrow before taking the waxwing arrow in the chest. The impact knocks the air out of his lungs as he hadn't expected such a gruesome hit, and he sags into the saddle roughly. As he settles back in the saddle he can feel his muscle tear because of the embedded arrow head and when he tested his strength on drawing on his bow, he found that it was too difficult to pull back effectively and the pain in his chest was worsening. This wasn't good...

Min's Action
Actions: MA put comp. bow +1 away
SA: Cast Shield on Lin (Lin's Ac 27)

Lin's Actions
Move action to continue her descent down toward the tents

"I'm hit pretty good Belsarious, we will get you in close but i'm not able to use my bow as easily... Each movement in the saddle causes another rivulet of blood to run down the arrow shaft and dribble across Lin's scales and to the earth below as Belsarious, Lin and Min continue their descent towards the tents. Although Lin moves away from whatever that muck is on the ground and tries to find a clear landing spot.


Male Elf Witch 5 / Ranger 1/ Eldritch Knight 5

Wand of cure moderate wounds
Use magic device
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Curing....
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (5, 5) + 3 = 13


The backbarb arrow strikes Min in the chest, and then the brave dragonrider gets an unfortunate first-hand demonstration of Enhathladi ingenuity. There is a muffled *PFOOM* inside his body as the spring-loaded arrowhead blasts open into three discreet barbs that tear through his muscles and bring with them immense, seearing pain. With every flap of Lin's wings, the now-destabilized arrow bobs and wobbles terribly, causing further damage to Min's body.

The tearing damage is just the moving around of the arrow in your body, doing more damage to you. It is not ability damage. However, the ability damage from multiple arrows stacks, so if you get hit again...


@Tent Area folks: Belsarious' initial arrow shot explodes on impact, causing the archer he targeted to run, yelling, from his now-burning cover position and dive into the snow to extinguish himself.

The smoke the archers created is everywhere, though, and makes sight and movement nearly impossible; everyone in it is blinded. There is a grunt of pain from the other side as one of Glorfindel's claws finds its mark on the Spec Ops soldier he attacked. This is followed by an explosion and a shriek of pain from the outsider as that soldier drills him with an explosive arrow. Lin lands near where Dolo is, just outside of the 80' cloud of smoke, to the west of it, and Belsarious is able to dismount after healing the badly wounded Tuathan half-elf.

The gorumite goes trundling by, his brutal armor shrieking as he pushes it to move in ways it was not built to. He is making a beeline for the Lightning elemental that is crushing the regular freedom fighters, to the south of the smoke cloud. He says nothing as he passes but the elven rogue, fighting from partial cover against the ice elemental shouts "I'm always generally happy to see a silver dragon, but really; who are you people?" over his shoulder at the party.

Round 1, Initiative 15
Archer against Glor:
5' Step
Attack 1: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 plus 3d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 5) = 13 fire damage for 24 total.
Attack 2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Other three archers:
Use Stealth to re-position and hide: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 24
So, perception of 24 to find them again, but this can only be done from above the smoke. It's too thick to see through.

Back to the top of the order for the "tent group." Dolo/Glor -- you are up.


@Livain and @Mai: Meanwhile, in the sky, Livain's deadly accuracy slays one of the Red Dragonflight archers; two of her arrows blast through the man's neck and torso, causing a large piece of his throat to exit out his back and splat against the bare rock. She badly wounds a second one. Then Mai's lethal spellcasting shreds seven more, reducing their numbers greatly. On the ground there are shouts to take cover, and the archers do so, hiding behind rocks or stands of trees.

All enemy archers are now covered and concealed, so you have -4 to hit and have 50% miss chance against them. That was their turn, though, so fire away again.


Female Dragonrider 4/ Paladin of Sarenrae 3

DRA, we can discuss what I've been doing before battle later. For now...

She had waited long enough.

The paladin of Sarenrae, known for her eagerness, her charity, and her virtue, had taken in patience, and took caution with a larger battle. This scale was not her forte, for she desired to never be surrounded willingly by the enemy, and give them a free hit as they had the other day - even now, her leg was still bandaged, for her armor had not covered it well-enough. Her blonde hair soared in the winds about them, and she brushed it to ensure her visibility was clear and without error.

Ansrithar writhed beneath her. He desired nothing less than to be as she had - eager, if not brash and wishing to remove the foes from the battlefield. The fierce white dragon growled up at its bound sister, and lovely compatriot. He was growing impatient as the battle raged on, his tail swiping viciously in the air with all of its might. Wings flapped slowly, wishing he would have more to do.

For the next few seconds, she watched Damian remove two elementals from their planar bindings, and gave a smile at how he changed battle. He had tremendous strength, and heart to match, but it seemed to lack some sort of guidance in her eyes, as though he wore too much weight under his toughened hide.

She noted the two newcomers with silence, and appeared as cold as her home, as though she were the only one who stood out amongst them all - which, most likely, she did, with Ansrithar in tow. She drew out her blade, the scimitar forged by monks of her religion with care, and let light catch its blade if there was any to catch, and called out into the air before her as she gave her commands.

Ansrithar. Let's get the southern route - they can handle the others. Move with grace, my dear - we must save these people from their doom.

You need say no more, Sylsalitae. We will do as She wishes, always.

It is with feral agility that the dragon performs a swirling dive, a brave and resounding roar echoing throughout the area in a challenge to all who dare face him, as though he were the most dangerous foe to face. But, what comes after is a heralding cry, from the female's lips and boldly filling the air around them.

"This day is dark, and the foes before us are strong! It is with all of my heart that I call for aid, that I call for Sarenrae to bestow her gifts upon us! The foes before us are many, and we are but few in seeking to protect them from harm! I pray for your strength, and I pray for your guidance! We will bring the dawn to all before us, and allow them to bask in its glory! For Sarenrae, for our friends, and our allies! For the light in all of our hearts, we defend you with all of our might!"

"Ceviran eo Wilaml fa ameanir yla!"

Elven:

Light of Dawn be with us!

Flight Check 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Focus: None this round.

With her blade drawn, and her lance remaining in the saddle, she forces Ansrithar to swoop in and drop her off before the elemental's might, where he will eventually circle back around. She clangs the blade to her buckler, and proceeds to allow her hair to fly loosely behind her.

"Come at me, beast! Your kind will not be victorious here! You will pay for your transgressions unless you leave this instant!"

Readied Action - if attacked in melee, Syl will strike back - if at reach, she will partial charge whoever is doing so in retaliation.
Otherwise, she will be within 20' of the elemental, preferably behind it.

If Action Occurs:

Attack 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 Add 2 if charged.
Damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Glorfindel's gaping maw spreads into a smile. 'Poor archer. Poor stupid archer.' The other-worldly draconic beast slashes out with its extra long arms and claws the archer as he draws an arrow and aims.

AoO on Archer=1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
AoO damage from claw=1d4 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

As the arrow is loosed, Dolo does all that he can to dodge the oncoming missile.

Mounted Combat check=1d20 + 17 ⇒ (1) + 17 = 18

The summoner appears distracted - making the mistake of lining up his next target instead of focusing in on the current one.

Glor's HP = 34/58


Dolo winces as he realizes his lapse in attention cost his companion a nasty wound. 'Focus!' he chides himself.

With a quick gesture, Dolo touches Glorfindal and grants him immunity to fire. In addition, electrical sparks begin to pop and crackle from the eidolon's body.

Without hesitation, Glor steps in close to the archer and mauls him.

Bite Attack=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Claw Attack=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Claw Attack=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Bite Attack=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Confirm Critical attack=1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

NOTE: Power attack for -2/+4

Assume the first bite failed to hit
Claw damage=2d4 + 16 + 1d6 ⇒ (1, 3) + 16 + (6) = 26
Claw damage=1d4 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 8 + (3) = 13
Bite damage=1d6 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 8 + (5) = 17

Dolo standard action=Cast Evolution Surge on Glor; granted him Immunity to Fire + Energy Attacks (electrical)
Glor= 5' step and then full attack action on archer

P.S. Perception for Glorfindel=1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34=No hiding for archers!


Male Silastrix Magus (Bladebound Kensai) 11 (HP 83/83 AC 30, T 23, Flat 11 - F+9 R+9 W+8 Init +12; Senses: Darkvision 60ft Low-Light Vision (X2), Per +13

Can I tell how many of the archers can be caught in a 20 foot radius? I have some vermin to burn. Also roughly how many archers are left alive?


Maiathreen Gyssearnith wrote:
Can I tell how many of the archers can be caught in a 20 foot radius? I have some vermin to burn. Also roughly how many archers are left alive?

Max you could catch in a 20' radius is three, they spread out a bit when they dove for cover. There are 14 left, though a couple of those are badly wounded. You've almost cut their number in half.


@Syl: Hey man, welcome back! ^_^ Hope school is treatin' ya better now...

Syl and Ansrithar come streaking out of the sky. They pass over the Gorumite en route to the southern edge of the battle and the brutal lightning elemental. The spike-armored warrior does not even look up to acknowledge their passing but continues his ponderously deadly charge toward the outsider, his blade still glowing faintly from a combination of its own magic and having been superheated by his fight with the magma elemental.

Ansrithar drops Syl off 20' behind the elemental so it is between her and the approaching human warrior. She stands alone amongst the bodies of the dead and dying freedom fighters who were no match for the elemental's might. The crackle of electrical power causes her hair to stand up some, and energy arcs off her blade as the stink of burning ozone fills the air. She can see the plodding, heavily armored steps of the gorumite approaching to assist, but the lightning elemental does not wait; using its superior reach, it spins around and takes a small step towards the elven princess and then lashes out to attack, its strikes seem magnetically drawn to her via her metal blade.

Horridly, the creature lands two ferocious strikes, first bludgeoning the northerner and then sending millions of volts of electricity into her slim frame. She is tougher than she looks, though, and remains standing even after so brutal an assault.

The gorumite bellows an unintelligible war cry and rams his greatsword clean through the outsider's barely-solid chest. As he does so, he mutters blackly in a dark celestial tongue and divine power of the god of war pours into the elemental's body, shredding its insides.

Taking advantage of its distraction, Syl charges in, heedless of her wounds, and slices the elemental's shoulder, nearly severing what appears to be an arm from the rest of the creature. Syl you'd get +2 from charge and +2 for flanking with Dantoor, though with your original roll you hit anyway.

Forgetting all about Syl, the creature whirls around and blasts Dantoor, its strikes again being lent greater accuracy and potency as it seems drawn to the gorumite's metal armor and weaponry. The outsider lands two blows on the great, broad soldier, clearly injuring him as blood leaks out the gaps in his armor, but he fights on, swinging widely in an arc and chopping out another huge piece of the elemental, which shrieks in agony. The strange, black wound on its side suddenly spreads swiftly over its whole back, seeming to cause it more pain.

The lightning elemental is wavering and stuttering in the air, it cannot take much to finish it at this point.

Syl, you are up. Finish him!

Initiative rolls:
Lightning Elemental: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Dantoor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Initiative Order:
Elemental
Dantoor
Syl

"Southern Battle" - Round 1

Elemental attacks on Syl:
5' Step (has 15' reach)
+3 to strike from Metal Mastery
Slam 1: 1d20 + 16 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 16 + 3 = 32
Slam 2: 1d20 + 16 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 16 + 3 = 38
Damage: 4d6 + 10 + 2d8 ⇒ (6, 1, 6, 2) + 10 + (3, 6) = 34

Dantoor attack on Elemental:
Charging, using Spell Store in greatsword
1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 13 + 2 = 23
Damage: 2d6 + 21 + 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (2, 5) + 21 + (5, 4) + 7 = 44
"Southern Battle" - Round 2
Elemental attacks on Dantoor:
Slam 1: 1d20 + 16 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 16 + 3 = 36
Slam 2: 1d20 + 16 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 16 + 3 = 26
Damage: 4d6 + 10 + 2d8 ⇒ (5, 3, 2, 2) + 10 + (7, 4) = 33

Dantoor attacks on Elemental:
Flanking
1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 13 + 2 = 30
1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 + 2 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 21 + 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (6, 6) + 21 + (7, 3) + 7 = 50

701 to 750 of 3,728 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legacy of Marianasu - DM Downrightamazed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.